Author Topic: Planting / Growing Your Own - 2017  (Read 105612 times)

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
Re: Planting / Growing Your Own - 2017
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
Thanks for sympathy. I'm gonna shoot these bastards (have 3 constantly living here).
I can't imagine refilling the water "gates" every day with warm water, or is it not needed? I have ~23 tomatoes, ~35 peppers, ~15 cucumbers total

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »
Bunnies eat peppers? Aw, shit. I was planning on putting the peppers in my unfenced raised bed at home, rather than greens, since those are obviously bunny food. And I didn't want to deal with fencing in the home bed; I have fencing around the community garden bed and it is such a PITA.

Sigh. I guess I'll have to put some chicken wire around the damn thing after all. Stupid bunnies.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »
Bunnies eat peppers? Aw, shit. I was planning on putting the peppers in my unfenced raised bed at home, rather than greens, since those are obviously bunny food. And I didn't want to deal with fencing in the home bed; I have fencing around the community garden bed and it is such a PITA.

Sigh. I guess I'll have to put some chicken wire around the damn thing after all. Stupid bunnies.

They do. Last year they ate two peppers. One recovered suddenly (I was pleasantly surprised)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #253 on: May 15, 2017, 02:10:17 PM »
Ferrum, my sympathies on those GD rabbits. Little fuckers decimated my seedlings.

About the wall-o'-water things, could you not just reuse milk jugs and whatnot as a cheaper/free alternative? I mean, fill old plastic bottles with water and set them around the plants.

Now that I'm writing that out I'm thinking of my own heat-lovers and how they've been rather pitiful since I planted them out. I think I'll do that this afternoon when I get home. I should be able to get roughly 800 seltzer-water bottles from my parents.

My grandmother did this,  first with glass Coke bottles or chipped canning jars and then later, after plastics became common, with 2 liter bottles. In later years, when she had an in heated greenhouse, she painted the 2 liter bottles black and set them against the north wall where they heated in the sun all day And kept everything warm at night.  But earlier, yes, bottles all around sensitive plants. Plastic bottles are better for this because you can put the lid back on and the water doesn't evaporate. [size=78%] [/size]

rockeTree

• Bristles
Planting / Growing Your Own - 2017
« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2017, 03:22:35 PM »
Bunnies ate my damn marigolds this year and left the lettuce. World turned upside down.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: May 15, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »
Everything is almost in the ground now, but the weather is still not cooperating.  Going to be a short growing season this year by at least a month.

I've planted less variety this year than last because the strawberries went to town and stole the space.  The rest is mostly peas, tomatoes and herbs so I guess there is less to go wrong with a shorter growing season.  The rest of the food garden is a perennial mix of small fruit bushes (raspberry, blueberry, black and red currant - haskap did not make it) and dwarf trees (apple, peach, nectarine, persimmon, cherry, pomegranate) under-planted with, yes, strawberries, which are also filling the spare space in the patio planters, and I gave loads away.  I think I started with 10 plants about 2 years ago and now I easily have more than 100.

I also have about 60 alpine strawberry seedlings left to plant in the borders, but they are not quite big enough for me to feel ok about the slug menace that I suspect needs addressing.

Also, good news, our kitten is no longer using the indoor litter box.  Bad news, the wine barrel planters on the patio with the fig trees are the new preferred it spot.  Don't ask how I discovered this.  So, anyways, I trimmed up some prickly holly and sprinkled in the barrels along with some cayenne and so far so good.  Totally ignored the outdoor litter area we created for her though.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »
Looks like I have a pretty serious wireworm problem. Might have to unleash some nematodes.

Muah'Dib

*snort*

Planted another row of beets yesterday....and will probably do one more in a couple of weeks. One more planting of peas too I think, as it is my opinion you can never have enough fresh peas ready to be plucked from the vine. I have 15 cabbage plants in the ground and they seem to be thriving already - I will need to develop a strategy for proper utilization when the time for harvesting comes.

Quinoa is sprouting.

The weather looks to be clearing up and warming up significantly starting in a few days. At that point, tomatoes, squash, and cukes will transplanted into the garden - and it will be time to plant beans, both bush and pole varieties. I think I will wait for a bit more serious heat to put the peppers out.

And if only Swiss chard tasted as good as it looks. :)

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2017, 06:04:14 PM »
"And if only Swiss chard tasted as good as it looks.."

Yeah, learned my lesson.  Turns out you can have too much of a sort of good thing.  Did not make the planting list this year.  Neither did spinach because, as much as I like it, the slugs like it more.

P.S. Would you like some strawberries?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2017, 05:08:07 AM »
I have a question about 'intensive gardening' and spacing.  I have fairly limited space this year as it's my first garden.  How tight can I pack veggies in a raised bed?  I know it varies per plant type, but it looks like I have things a bit tighter than recommended for some items, like cucumbers for instance...

I've always planted things way closer than recommendation in my raised beds and have had good luck.  Think in terms of sun, water, food, and air movement.  If the plants have what they need, they will do fine.  You will likely need to feed more often (with compost or whatever) if you are planting intensively. 

What are you planting, besides cukes?   As for cukes, they are rowdy -- vining all over the place.  My favorite way is putting them in pots up against a fence and letting them climb up chicken wire or hardware cloth.  Saves on space in the raised bed.   If you definitely want them in the raised bed, you can plant them next to the outside edge and let them spill down over the side onto the ground.  I have a friend who grows them 'down and out' like that, and they do well.   

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »
Thanks for the compliments on the planter Horsepoor and Starjay :)

I have a question about 'intensive gardening' and spacing.  I have fairly limited space this year as it's my first garden.  How tight can I pack veggies in a raised bed?  I know it varies per plant type, but it looks like I have things a bit tighter than recommended for some items, like cucumbers for instance...

Also what's the deal with sweet corn - how hard is it to grow?  Thanks!

This is a good site for basic space requirements using square foot gardening. Just put in the size of your garden and then drag and drop plants to each area to see how many can be planted.

http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/KGP-Design

For cucumbers, I recommend trellising vining plants instead of using bushes so you can fit a lot more in the same ground space.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2017, 08:11:55 AM »
I plant peas one inch apart - those you can space closely in the row than you have.   I don't plant corn because we would be feeding the raccoons, but this person does and plants closer than you have: http://www.homestead-acres.com/how-to-grow-corn-in-square-foot-garden/

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »
Thanks for the help.  So far I've planted:

In the raised bed (with raised bed compost soil):
Carrots - about 3 inches apart
Peas - with some chicken wire to climb, about 6 inches apart
Leaf Lettuce - about 6 inches apart
Strawberries - just one plant - near edge
cucumbers - about 6 inches apart with some near edge and some near chicken wire

On the ground - experimental bed with just loam and fertilizer:
Sweet Corn - 4 rows of 5 plants each - about 6 inches apart.  This is probably pretty dense for corn.  Hopefully OK?
More cucumbers - overflow

Hey Bender
Can't comment on the corn (never grown it) but all other spacing looks great -- except you can put the peas closer together.  I do about three inches for climbing peas.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »
OK - let's get this party started!

What are you growing this year?
Trying anything new this year?
What did you learn from past years?
Best tips to pass along.
Having problems?

I am trying to grow cilantro, basil and garlic.  All in pots, outside in South Florida.  The basil keeps getting fungus and dying, quite frustrating.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »
I wouldn't bother with a corn patch that size, bender.  It requires a pretty big block to get good cross pollination.  When I've tried small blocks, even with some hand pollination, I've gotten partially filled cobs, and it's tall, so it shades everything else out.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2017, 04:40:08 PM »
Ok I was reading about the cross-pollination today.  How much corn would be enough?  My wife says I won't be successful in growing corn and I want to prove her wrong!!

That's the best reason to grow something. :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2017, 05:31:57 PM »
OK - let's get this party started!

What are you growing this year?
Trying anything new this year?
What did you learn from past years?
Best tips to pass along.
Having problems?

I am trying to grow cilantro, basil and garlic.  All in pots, outside in South Florida.  The basil keeps getting fungus and dying, quite frustrating.

Another Floridian here:)
If you are growing the basil in a pot - the fungus will live on. Dump the soil then cClean the pot with lots of vinegar, then brush with hot water and dish soap, then plain water. Spend the extra money on moisture control potting soil and your plants and you will be very happy:)

As far as Basil - I'd recommend that you find African Blue - very fragrant, with a slightly spicy (not hot) peppery flavor. The leaves are green/purplish. It likes the heat as long as you give it water, it will turn into a little mini bush. With lots of TLC it will live for about three years.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2017, 05:47:19 PM »
Planted so far:
  • Red and Italian kale
  • Cauliflower
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Zucchini
  • Kabocha
  • Parsely
  • Basil

Started the above inside because we're having an unusually COLD and WET spring here in the NW. It was friggin 41 degrees outside this morning! Got them under an LED grow light, and added a 125W heat lamp last weekend because they're in the back room and we don't keep the heat on back there.

Started snow peas outside a couple weeks ago, and they're about an inch tall now. Hubby put in some potatoes, and those are coming up as well.

We had problems with rabbits last year. Never had them before, but the hill at the back of our property got cleared last year, so they probably got flushed out of there and were looking for new territory. Haven't seen any yet this year, maybe the hawks and eagles have been doing their thing.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2017, 06:25:07 PM »
Ok I was reading about the cross-pollination today.  How much corn would be enough?  My wife says I won't be successful in growing corn and I want to prove her wrong!!

My corn year before last was about as successful as I've ever managed, and I think the patch was about 4x10'?  Last year I did more like 8x12' but more spread out, and still had some unfilled ears, but it was pretty good.  IMO, dent corn is more satisfying, because it's used after it's off the cob vs. eating sweet corn on the cob when the cobs aren't totally filled.

You can grow nice big corn stalks, just the actual kernels might be a problem except for the plants in the middle of the row.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #268 on: May 17, 2017, 03:54:46 AM »
Planted more tomatoes last night, then watered and mulched with the stuff in my big leaf bin.  (Leaves, grass clippings, etc). Man that is quite the ecosystem in there.  Loaded with worms and crickets. I picked up a big handful of mulch, felt movement and dropped it (I was thinking a snake).  And a big fat lizard came running out.   I'd live in there too if I was a lizard or a snake -- it's like the reptile 'grocery store'. 

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #269 on: May 17, 2017, 07:46:27 AM »
Ferrum, my sympathies on those GD rabbits. Little fuckers decimated my seedlings.

About the wall-o'-water things, could you not just reuse milk jugs and whatnot as a cheaper/free alternative? I mean, fill old plastic bottles with water and set them around the plants.

Now that I'm writing that out I'm thinking of my own heat-lovers and how they've been rather pitiful since I planted them out. I think I'll do that this afternoon when I get home. I should be able to get roughly 800 seltzer-water bottles from my parents.

A few years ago I would drive out of my driveway to go to work everyday and they would sit around at the top eating grass and giving me the finger (they literally laughed at me).  After decimating my garden, I couldn't take it any more. My sons and I spent a day driving around in my truck on my ten acres drinking beer and using a spring air to shoot those little bastards.  We killed 22.  Made some rabbit stew (not very good).

Fast forward a few years and I spotted one on his way to the garden yesterday.  I may have to do another cleansing.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #270 on: May 17, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
Thanks for sympathy. I'm gonna shoot these bastards (have 3 constantly living here).
I can't imagine refilling the water "gates" every day with warm water, or is it not needed? I have ~23 tomatoes, ~35 peppers, ~15 cucumbers total

Shoot 'em now.  The thing about that saying "multiple like rabbits"?  That's a no-shitter.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #271 on: May 17, 2017, 11:34:36 AM »
Still prepping my garden for planting.  Which is fine.  It freaking snowed last night.  Should warm up after this weekend and I'll be good to go.

I've got the day off on Friday, so I'm planning on getting compost (lots of it) from the city compost yard.  They charge $2 per square yard for residents and I'm planning on at least $30/worth.  My garden is tilled up lawn.  I spent a month last year just sifting out rocks and gravel.  The soil isn't high quality, even though I've manured and mulched every year for the past 3 years.  I'm hoping a huge infusion of compost will help the process.

Haven't really decided what I'm planting yet.. should have figured it out already.  But I've discovered that I can't eat nightshades anymore, which means more than half my garden is available.  I used to plant a lot of potatoes, peppers and tomatoes.

I'm thinking:
Spaghetti Squash
Sweet Meat Squash
Zucchini
Cantelope
Cucumbers
Green Beans
Peas
Heirloom Red Runner Beans
Sunflowers
Sweet Potatoes
Carrots
Parsnips
Rutabegas
Turnips
Kohlrabi
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Shallots
Dinosaur Kale
Green Onions

And I'm planning on putting strawberries in one of the front flower beds, and planting herbs in the other.  We'll see how much I can actually get done...

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: May 17, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »
Nothing beats food you have grown yourself.

So far we have harvested a couple pounds of asparagus, some rhubarb and several cuttings of lettuce.

The blackberry and grape vines are looking great.  We have some cantaloupe and watermelon planting but not all of them came up yet, so I may need to replant this weekend.   

pekklemafia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #273 on: May 17, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »
Looks like I have a pretty serious wireworm problem. Might have to unleash some nematodes.

Muah'Dib

*snort*

Planted another row of beets yesterday....and will probably do one more in a couple of weeks. One more planting of peas too I think, as it is my opinion you can never have enough fresh peas ready to be plucked from the vine. I have 15 cabbage plants in the ground and they seem to be thriving already - I will need to develop a strategy for proper utilization when the time for harvesting comes.

Quinoa is sprouting.

The weather looks to be clearing up and warming up significantly starting in a few days. At that point, tomatoes, squash, and cukes will transplanted into the garden - and it will be time to plant beans, both bush and pole varieties. I think I will wait for a bit more serious heat to put the peppers out.

And if only Swiss chard tasted as good as it looks. :)

Haha swiss chard really is gross, isn't it? I used to give it away when I grew it before. I've just moved on now.

It's been rainy and wet and cold here in Alberta. Just installed a few haskap bushes (the saleperson at the nursery claimed they were invincible). In the past week I've planted potatoes, bush beans (might've jumped the gun on that), carrots, spinach, lettuce, beets, thai basil, scallions, radishes. We'll see what happens :) Should be warmer the next few days, so I'll be putting out the tomatoes finally. They're getting way too tall for their solo cups.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #274 on: May 17, 2017, 01:22:45 PM »
Haha, I had SO much chard last year and I forced myself to eat it all. (Hint: it's good substituted for spinach in spinach artichoke dip; of course, the dip also contains like 4 varieties of full fat dairy so not exactly healthy!) I don't think it's bad, exactly, it's just not something I want to eat that much of. This year I'm keeping it in a container, so it doesn't get huge. It tastes better if you pick the leaves when they are small, as "baby greens." More tender, less bitter and tough.

One of my raspberry bushes that I just planted into a container looks like crap. Turning brown and dying on the bottom. Not enough water? Too much water? Who knows. I've read that you're not supposed to fertilize them the first year so I haven't - true or false? It just looks like it needs *something.*

My peppers are greatly enjoying our unseasonable heat though!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2017, 08:17:46 AM »
And.... apparently we're plunging from the 80s to the 40s today. Time to break out the frost blanket, if I can find it, and bring in all the damn peppers and basil. Glad I didn't put those in the ground yet.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #276 on: May 18, 2017, 08:25:57 AM »
Got a bunch of raspberries and blackberries on the cheap.  Planning to plant those this weekend.   My peppers are just sitting there, not dying but not growing either.  Hope they take off soon, now that the weather is getting warmer. 

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #277 on: May 18, 2017, 08:38:18 AM »
And.... apparently we're plunging from the 80s to the 40s today. Time to break out the frost blanket, if I can find it, and bring in all the damn peppers and basil. Glad I didn't put those in the ground yet.

I planted all, except may be 8 weakest peppers. They still are not growing at all. But I would not dare to put any blankets - very high chance of it flying away breaking all plants. My maple tree suffered damage yesterday - two huge branches broken

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #278 on: May 18, 2017, 09:40:12 AM »
Yeah, it still is pretty windy out there. I usually take the frost blanket and clip it to the tomato cages with big binder clips. So, sort of making a tent over the plants, instead of being anywhere near them. The tomatoes are still small enough that when I planted them deep like you're supposed to, there are just a few leaves sticking out above ground. So maybe they don't even need the blanket? I dunno. I am worried that this 40-degree plunge is going to shock them.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #279 on: May 18, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »
This pretty much says it all about how wet and cool our Spring in the PNW has been.

You want mushrooms with your broccoli? No problem!

The weather, according to forecasters is about to take a turn for the better and I expect the garden will soon explode with growth. After the May long weekend, all the warmer weather crops are getting put out.

Did I mention my quinoa is sprouting? :) My excitement over this is somewhat embarrasing, lol.

And I haven't been able to resist building a few more raised beds....but NOW I'm done...I promise. Here is the final configuration I'm going with.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:39:18 AM by Jon_Snow »

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #280 on: May 18, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
Where are those quinoa sprout photos? I'd like to see what the plant looks like as it grows. In other pictures, it looks like it has a panicle seed head. Looking forward to hearing about how this progresses, and harvesting.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #281 on: May 18, 2017, 08:20:26 PM »
Where are those quinoa sprout photos? I'd like to see what the plant looks like as it grows. In other pictures, it looks like it has a panicle seed head. Looking forward to hearing about how this progresses, and harvesting.

The sprouting quinoa are so TINY that I'm not even sure my phone camera would pick them up right now. ;) If there are no hiccups and they continue to grow I promise I will get photos and post them here or in my Journal. I'm going to be away from my garden until Tuesday of next week so I've managed to rope (bribe) some family members in to do some watering cause it's finally going to heat up out here.

Great looking garden John_Snow!

Thanks! Though there is a lot of bare dirt right now...but that should really change over the next few weeks.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »
Plants survived the cold snap. Today it is 60ish and rainy, supposed to really downpour later. Ugh.

My raspberry started looking worse and worse, so I snapped some pix of it and took them to the garden center experts (after doing a fair amount of googling on my own). They confirmed what I feared - it has verticulum (sp?) wilt. The guy there said to pull it, and not to plant anything in that same soil that's susceptible to that disease - more raspberries, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, basil. Other than potatoes, that's all I have left to plant. Poop. :(

I bought a replacement that he said was more disease resistant and also better for containers as it does not like to spread as much. What is the matter with me?? I am not supposed to be spending more on the garden or on anything right now (layoffs are coming at work and we have no idea whether our team will be hit or not so I am in uberfrugality shove-as-much-as-possible-into-savings mode.). I am like an alcoholic in a bar when it comes to this garden center - which, since we moved last month, is now within walking distance. Dangerous!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #283 on: May 21, 2017, 04:03:31 AM »
What is the matter with me?? I am not supposed to be spending more on the garden or on anything right now (layoffs are coming at work and we have no idea whether our team will be hit or not so I am in uberfrugality shove-as-much-as-possible-into-savings mode.). I am like an alcoholic in a bar when it comes to this garden center - which, since we moved last month, is now within walking distance. Dangerous!

O my god, am I the same . . .  The garden center is my downfall big time.  I joined the "Hella Cheap Ass May" challenge thread, trying to have a really frugal month, and then I blew it (twice) at the garden center . . . I just have to stay away.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #284 on: May 21, 2017, 04:33:33 AM »
Newbie gardener here.  I live in Zone 5 (NH), so I haven't planted any vegetables in the ground yet, but I've got some seedlings ready to go.

I thought I would be ready to go, but when talking to the guy at the local greenhouse he said I should use lime in the garden.  I've read a few articles saying it is necessary and others saying it is not.  I'm really conflicted on if I should use it.  I'm also unsure HOW to use it.

Any advice on how to use dry lime?

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #285 on: May 21, 2017, 06:39:19 AM »
We got rid of our garden bed a couple years ago, due mostly to putting more time and money into it then what we were getting out of it.  We had a huge problem with neighborhood cats using it as their litter box and not enough sun for many of the things that we were trying to grow, that plus I was having major health issues and it was too much for me to manage.  I'm doing much better and last year I wanted to do something.  So we made a vertical pallet garden bus tapeling landscape fabric to the back of a heat treated pallet and filled it with organic soil.  We planted herbs, lettuces and greens all from plants.  This was more manageable and successful, albeit more expensive than growing from seed.  So this year we decided to grow herbs from plants and direct plant lettuce and bush bean seeds into the pallet garden.  Then I took all my large pots (that I usually plant flowers in on the patio) instead I bought organic tomato plants from Costco.  Spent about $25 dollars on 8 plants which is less than what I typically spend to fill them with flowers.  They had gorgeous, huge rosemary and lavender plants for $15 dollars each!  I wanted them last year but by the time I rationalized the cost they weren't selling them anymore.  I refrained from buying them because I don't know where I'd put them and I'd probably end up making a new bed and therefore costing us more money.  I also have a strawberry pot that I'd like to do something edible in.  I'd love to do strawberries but if memory serves me you aren't 'supposed' to harvest strawberries the first year.  I don't know how that applies to container gardening.  Does anyone know?  I still haven't planted my window boxes on the front of the house.  I've been wracking my brain trying to think of something that looks pretty and flowers for the boxes, but also has the added benefit of being edible.  I'm not coming up with anything so I might just buy flowers for the window boxes.  Thinking into the future I really should attempt to grow flowers from seed for the boxes next year which will save huge.         

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #286 on: May 21, 2017, 07:51:33 AM »
Yesterday was finally planting day.  I think this is the latest date I've ever planted since moving to this area in 2006, but the weather has been really wonky and we had frost last week.  Due to my half-assed efforts with seedling starting this spring, I bought about half of what I planted at the garden center yesterday.  I'm still waiting for the cucurbits I planted last week to sprout, but if they aren't out by next weekend I'll be back to the garden center for more plants.

I was lucky enough to get a good truckload of manure from the back of the pile at the barn a couple weeks ago.  It turned in and incorporated with the old soil in the beds perfectly before planting yesterday, so I should have happy plants.  There is more to spread out, which I'll hopefully get done this morning.  Tons to do and I'm leaving town for the week early Monday morning. 

Yesterday I planted:

14 tomatoes
30 peppers
Rosemary
2 collards
6 Swiss chard
~100 onions (sweet and red)

Still have potatoes to plant today, and might put in some corn as well.  Also need to start my basil and okra seeds and sow more lettuce and radishes.  The birds have been destroying the lettuce, so bird netting is going to be needed if we want any salads.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #287 on: May 21, 2017, 10:08:41 AM »
Here are some pictures of my garden

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #288 on: May 21, 2017, 10:12:55 AM »
Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Garlic, Asparagus, Cucumbers, Spaghetti Squash

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #289 on: May 21, 2017, 10:13:58 AM »
Tomato closeup - Roma and Beefsteak

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: May 21, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
Summer Squash closeup

(Note the stem coming out of ground right middle of picture.  Does this look like a problem?)

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #291 on: May 21, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »
Cukes Closeup

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: May 21, 2017, 10:17:10 AM »
Mexican Dragon Peppers Closeup

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #293 on: May 21, 2017, 10:19:07 AM »
Peppers, Basil, Cilantro and Sage

(I stuck the sage plant in as a temporary place to put it.  I will give it its own container at some point)

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #294 on: May 21, 2017, 10:20:11 AM »
Cherry Tomatoes, Mexican Dragon Pepper (Thyme and Oregano in bottom left of picture)

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #295 on: May 21, 2017, 10:25:39 AM »
I have also planted carrots and Dill.  Still need to plant green beans.

I am trying something new with the cucumbers growing on trellis around spaghetti squash.  Still looks too crowded.  I'm going to need to take some spaghetti squash out. 

Any tips or ideas from others?

I can always use some help.

I struggle with planting carrots and dill.  I don't have the patience or physical attributes to thin them out.  I fat thumb seeds and they clump up.  I read where someone else posted mixing the sees with a sifted soil and broadcasting will give an even distribution.  I'm going to try that next year (or later this year).  In the meantime, if I wanted to de-clump and replant evenly, what would be the best size of sprout to work with?

South Carolina - Zone 8A

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:29:20 AM by Cache Stash »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: May 21, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »
My DH is often setting the plastic boxes with plants outside in daytime to get some sunlight. But the grape samplings don't seem to like it today. It is extremely difficult to get them to grow without getting mouldy.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #297 on: May 21, 2017, 06:08:47 PM »
Container gardeners: What do you do when you're planting in a container that you planted in the year before? Do you wash it out? Disinfect it? Just use it as is? Does it make a difference what kind of plants were in it in the current vs. prior year?

I appreciate all advice. Thanks!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #298 on: May 22, 2017, 02:32:47 PM »
Has anyone tried growing plants in a large rubbermaid bin that you've drilled drainage holes into?

I really could use one more huge pot (like the size a tomato would go in). These are $$$ at Home Depot and my garden center, and there are not currently any on Craigslist, where I bought my others. Realized today that I have a bunch of empty rubbermaid bins that are the right depth, just rectangular rather than round. I want to put either a tomato or a raspberry bush (compact variety that supposedly "stays put" and therefore is good for containers)  in it.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #299 on: May 22, 2017, 09:07:25 PM »
I finally got everything planted yesterday. Though not that late as May long weekend is generally considered around the safe date here re: frost. I was going to take pictures but haven't yet.

I put in a strawberry bed, am trying out some flower seeds.

And then I got bedding plants of:
cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, several peppers, and then for fun experimentation one eggplant, watermelon, and pumpkin. Not sure how those will work out, but with enough heat and sun there's a chance.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!