Author Topic: Pay 100% of student loans in 24 months or less  (Read 10867 times)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
Re: Pay 100% of student loans in 24 months or less
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2018, 12:23:32 PM »
Ok I'm in!!
Here's what I've got:
$10,281.55 Subsidized Consolidated Loan at 2.75%
$3,213.31 at 3.51% (just paid an extra $400 today!)

*now the bad news*
....and 7 more classes to go to complete my degree.  I am going to try like heck to pay cash for my remaining seven classes, but it's also a priority for me to finish ASAP in order to get out of my awful, disgusting, painfully toxic (but well paying and very flexible schedule around my schooling) job as soon as possible. 
My next semester begins in May and I'm hoping to have that higher percentage loan paid off by then.... then at least, worst case scenario- if I have to take out another loan in order to finish those seven classes in two semesters, I can begrudgingly do so and likely still pay it all off in 24 months. 
I've been taking classes one or two at a time, with a semester off in-between for... YEARS (maybe 7 or 8) in order not to add to that bigger loan.  The 3.51% loan came from last semester, when I took two extra classes in an effort to try to finish faster. :/ The other loan is from the early-mid 2000's when I was first in school.  I started going back in 2010 or so.  It's been the longest most stretched out undergrad degree ever.

All that being said... I can pay BOTH of these suckers off in 24 months.  I'm going to make a plan this week-I'll check back and post my plan here to see what y'all think. 
YAY!  This is my only debt and I am SO READY to be done with it.

*Edited to add that although my debt is small compared to some on this thread, I make a modest income of around 33k.  I saved about 20k last year in a wave of mustachianism, but am now recognizing the effect these loans will have on my future.  So.. here goes nothin'! :)

UPDATE:
$10,281.55 Subsidized Consolidated Loan at 2.75%: Now $9,242!

$3,213.31 at 3.51% GONE!

I have also decided to stop taking classes.  I am fairly certain I don't want to continue to pursue a degree.  I had 9 classes/30 credits to finish my degree, and after exhausting several months applying for scholarships, etc. and sending transcripts to WGU, TESU, ASU, etc. etc. and everything in-between, I can't find a tuition rate that would be worth it to me.  I'm losing potential income via this pursuit, and I hate it. 
I don't think finishing will increase my earning ability, it's kind of just been "well I might as well, I've come this far..." and that's not a good enough reason to plop down significantly more money. 
So I'm paying these suckers off and I'll do some further certifications and just keep earning and saving.

NEW UPDATE: UPDATE:
$10,281.55 Subsidized Consolidated Loan at 2.75%: THEN $9,242! NOW $7,900.  SO DAMN CLOSE...
I've been getting aggressive with the side hustles and had a FULL ON panic attack last night after a 15 hour day... but that can temper down soon... so soon.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2018, 07:40:08 PM »
$37,560.72 left... it’s insane how much I’ve paid this year so far.

MizMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2018, 07:34:34 PM »
Hi Everyone,

First time posting but I've been a forum lurker for quite some time now. Found MMM in January of this year and vowed to pay off my $90k in remaining student loan debt by March of 2019. I'm thrilled to report that I just sent off the final payment -- GONE GONE GONE!

I'll be sending what used to go to debt to my Vanguard fund each month, excited to watch my stache grow.

Great thread!

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2018, 08:35:30 AM »
Awesome Congrats! Way to laser focus! It will feel so good see balances grow versus decrease every month.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2018, 08:51:15 AM »
Cool, you'll be done in the fall, a full year ahead of schedule.

Funny how things go better than expected when armed with a plan...

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
Cool, you'll be done in the fall, a full year ahead of schedule.

Funny how things go better than expected when armed with a plan...

Lol I’m actually thinking I’ll be done by January.  I don’t have any other big windfalls coming my way until annual bonuses are paid.  For now, I don’t have the ability to pay more than $3,500/month toward the balance.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
My plan when we started working for realsies in late 2012 was to live lean and save about $2,000/month, which I figured would let us save 100k every three years or so, accounting for reasonable raises and market returns. We hit that number in 18-24 months instead. Fast forward to today, after raises and various life events, we are shooting for 120-150k of savings per year, which would have been unimaginable in 2012.

Windfalls happen all the time when you lay the groundwork for them.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2018, 02:46:18 PM »
My plan when we started working for realsies in late 2012 was to live lean and save about $2,000/month, which I figured would let us save 100k every three years or so, accounting for reasonable raises and market returns. We hit that number in 18-24 months instead. Fast forward to today, after raises and various life events, we are shooting for 120-150k of savings per year, which would have been unimaginable in 2012.

Windfalls happen all the time when you lay the groundwork for them.

Agreed, my income is such that there isn’t anything extra to get between now and January.  $3,500/ month involves me making triple payments as is.  It’s almost half my monthly income after taxes.  I’m saving other money as well, but it’s currently my biggest monthly contribution. Once it’s done, I can turn the firehose toward more aggressive accumulation. Plus, I’ll have acces to a 401k again next year so I’ll be able to be more effective with savings

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »

UPDATE:

LOAN 1.) Originally 10k, trickled payments until recently when I got aggressive with it... $3,213.31 GONE!

LOAN 2.) UPDATE:
Originally in the high 20k's circa 2006(7?) making minimum payments and the occasional tax return lump dump I got it into the 10k range... Since I've been actively working on it.. here's my late 2017-2018 progress:
$10,281.55 ==> THEN $9,242! ==> THEN $7,900. ==> NOW $6,900!

SO CLOSE!

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2018, 11:28:06 AM »
Did 30k in 14 months gaiz!

Honestly i should have done sooner since, over this time, I have made 64 - 78 k but I like traveling and coffee cake.

There is hope ok you can do it too!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »

NEW UPDATE:

LOAN 1.) Originally 10k, trickled payments until recently when I got aggressive with it... $3,213.31 GONE!

LOAN 2.) UPDATE:
Originally in the high 20k's circa 2006(7?) making minimum payments and the occasional tax return lump dump I got it into the 10k range... Since I've been actively working on it.. here's my late 2017-2018 progress:
$10,281.55 ==> THEN $9,242! ==> THEN $7,900. ==> then $6,900!==>NOW $5850!

SO CLOSE!

*I have some unexpected dental work this month and next, so I'm chipping away a little slower, but guddang if I'm not getting there... I can't wait to see them gone.  They're my only debt, and although I will likely have a mortgage soonish, that little piece of debt-free ness I get to have in-between will be so so so so worth it.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2018, 11:51:26 AM »
I want to thank everyone for their encouragement and participation in this thread. With your encouragement, I have met my goal in far less than 24 months!

$0.00.  I’m paid off.  Holy crap, the long night is over. 

I don’t usually link to my blog, but it’s such a benchmark that I’m compelled to share.
http://upwardlymobile.life/paid-off-i-paid-my-six-figure-student-loan-debt-in-5-5-years/

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Pay 100% of student loans
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2018, 12:42:50 PM »
Some wise guy upthread said:

Baller.

With that attitude, it will be gone in no time.

Took you just under 12 months. Baller.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
Re: Pay 100% of student loans
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »
Some wise guy upthread said:

Baller.

With that attitude, it will be gone in no time.

Took you just under 12 months. Baller.

You were right.  I got it done with part of my year end bonus

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2019, 12:03:39 PM »
I want to thank everyone for their encouragement and participation in this thread. With your encouragement, I have met my goal in far less than 24 months!

$0.00.  I’m paid off.  Holy crap, the long night is over. 

I don’t usually link to my blog, but it’s such a benchmark that I’m compelled to share.
http://upwardlymobile.life/paid-off-i-paid-my-six-figure-student-loan-debt-in-5-5-years/

GREAT JOB!!!!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!