Author Topic: Own up to your internet usage  (Read 28195 times)

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Own up to your internet usage
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2020, 11:15:51 AM »
i work in IT and am generally happy with the extremely high amount of time i spend on the internet.

However.

Can anybody recommend an electric collar to give me a small shock whenever i put a "9" into the address bar?

What's wrong with the number 9?  When I searched I got a couple hits for movie reviews. 

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: June 16, 2020, 10:27:22 PM »
I did 1 hour, 45 minutes all 3 surf sessions this week. Yesterday I was intending to study Spanish, but got done with my side hustle early and decided to take the 15 extra minutes to catch up on the news rather than jump right into Spanish. I didn't end up getting to Spanish. But I turned off the news in time to get a decent amount of sleep, so that was positive.

It would have been fine to take time to read the news AFTER studying Spanish, in line with the "eat the frog" productivity hack that's been working so well the past few weeks (it makes me feel like I'm coasting downhill all day). I studied Spanish this evening and updated other MMM challenges (but I definitely had more urges to blow off my responsibilities or rearrange them in my schedule in order to procrastinate).  So my challenge is to keep with what's been working- hardest thing first.

I remember in 2014 with the Michael Brown shooting (and oh my god, Kajieme Powell) spending hours and hours reading the news and articles about the criminal justice system. It's good to be aware, but there's definitely a point for me (and it doesn't take much) at which getting caught up in the news leads to disillusionment and inaction. So it's a fine balance. Stay in the loop, but also in a place psychologically where I'm actually of use.

Fun fact: a few years ago my (non-white, permanent resident) husband was handcuffed by law enforcement (border patrol) after they mistook him for someone else. Thankfully they figured it out eventually and my husband didn't "resist arrest". It was still shitty though (their attitude was: "pick up your stuff that we've scattered around and get out of here" once they realized they had the wrong guy). For all I researched about the criminal justice system a few years prior, I was caught off guard and didn't know how to react. So maybe this time around with George Floyd, it's a bit too close to home and I have more of a psychological barrier to getting too sucked in.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: June 19, 2020, 11:07:24 AM »

Small victory -- it's been over 24 hours now since I've last clicked on any distracting sort of website (news, blogs, etc.).  I opened LinkedIn once but I closed it like two seconds later.

Feels good.  Going to see how long I can keep it up.  :)

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2020, 03:40:57 PM »
I surfed for 3 hours during last night's session (#1 of 3 this week). Ideal time is 1.5 hours.  Next time I will remind myself that I have 2 more days to veg while surfing.

I've felt overwhelmed this week and I think it's pregnancy hormones. I'm due in 2 weeks and I recently read that cortisol levels rise nearer to birth in preparation for labor/caring for the highly needy newborn. Aside from hormones, I think I'm also realizing that we're starting over again and things will be intense for awhile. We've come so far since my daughter was born in terms of life balance and I'm not looking forward to feeling like I'm drowning again (hopefully it doesn't last as long this time).

So I mention all this pregnancy and newborn stuff because I surfed SO MUCH after my daughter was born (while breastfeeding, right when she went to bed, checking my phone during the day...) and my internet habits have improved a great deal since then. I want to hold onto the gains I've made. I'll be sure to monitor my internet use extra carefully and regularly check in here over the next few months.

Tonight's goal: 1.5 hours (with a reminder that I have yet another session Sunday)
This week's goal: pick up my library holds so I have new reading material (easier to go from relaxing while surfing straight to relaxing while reading).

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2020, 01:55:29 PM »
I did 3/2/3.5 hours of surfing over the weekend.
I have not been reading at night and therefore have no screen-free activity to transition to that hour before bed. I plan to pick up my library holds before next weekend's surf sessions. It might also help to resume checking in here at logoff time.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: June 23, 2020, 09:12:29 PM »
I almost talked myself into blowing off my good evening habits for the next two weeks prior to the baby's due date (which include connecting with my partner, doing my side hustle, studying Spanish/doing projects/completing paperwork before taking my surf sessions, going to bed at least 7.5 hours before I have to be awake in the morning...). I'm sure I could justify it, but I'd rather keep my momentum. No exceptions has been a helpful rule to avoid talking myself into all sorts of reasons why just this once it's fine to surf.

Once the baby's here, and if we avoid the witching hour those first few months, my evenings will be short and sweet: connect with my partner, take an hour of downtime: 3 days surfing/1 day paperwork/3 days media (reading, podcasts, magazines, etc) then brush my teeth, feed the baby, and head to bed early.

The only problem with this plan (other than the assumption that I will have cooperation from the newborn) is that it doesn't include a leisure activity after computer use. I stopped reading regularly after libraries closed down in March because I was too cheap to buy books. Libraries are open again and I'm still trying to get back in the habit. I've found it really challenging to log off my internet time when my next activity is a task (brush teeth and go to bed) rather than something fun (like reading- but it has to be for entertainment and not information). So maybe I could do 6 days surfing for 30 minutes then brush my teeth and finish the evening with off-screen media for 30 minutes before feeding the baby.

If I don't get the baby's cooperation and I'm caring for him late into the evening those first few months, I will take my hour recharge time in the afternoon when my husband watches both kids (3 days surf, 3 days media, 1 day paperwork). I'll keep my plan for unexpected downtime the same as it has been. And I'll try to connect with my husband at least in passing in the evening and also brush my teeth before crashing into bed.

When the baby starts sleeping longer stretches, I'll slowly make my way back to my usual evening, but will have a pumping session before bed for a year when otherwise I would read. I think it's time to get into podcasts or audiobooks. It might look something like this: connect with partner, side hustle, surf x3/Spanish/paperwork/projects/read, brush teeth, pump (with podcast/audiobook).

I guess the main approach I want to take with this upcoming life change is to stay flexible and go with the flow while staying committed to my habits, whatever form they may take. For nearly the first year of my daughter's life, I just surfed in the evening after putting her down. I'd like something different this time around!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #256 on: June 25, 2020, 08:46:40 PM »
Tonight is my night for studying Spanish but I really don't want to. I'd much rather dink around on the computer and could probably talk myself into it. But instead, I'm going to finish my side hustle then write out my vocab list and head to bed. I forgot that tomorrow is my surf night until this check in. I think I can hang on until then!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: June 28, 2020, 10:57:21 PM »
Things are going well in terms of staying off the internet when it's not time and showing up for eating my frogs instead. But I am not logging off when I'd like after my weekend surf sessions. This weekend I did 3/2.5/3.5 hours. I think it just feels good to turn off my mind for a bit in light of the upcoming life change. I also have not gotten back into the habit of reading since the pandemic hit. Maybe easier than trying to log off at 1.5 hours is just to commit to reading for at least a short time before bed.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #258 on: June 29, 2020, 03:23:42 PM »
I'm bad at transitions and am definitely in one with the new baby coming at any time. When circumstances change, it's easy for me to blow off my regular stuff. Today I worked on a project and crowdsourced a few related questions to one of my facebook groups. Then I got distracted on my FB feed and spent the time I should have been doing my side hustle scrolling. So just checking in to affirm that doing my first things first despite this transition is the way to go.

Next right things: prepare some food, give toddler a bath, catch up with my husband, study Spanish and do my side hustle.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: June 29, 2020, 05:52:28 PM »
I thought about it a bit and realized that my scrolling today and logging off late during the past few weeks of surf sessions is related to all-or-nothing thinking. I usually have more than usual on my plate during transitions and that's true right now. I'm trying to wrap up a project for my side hustle despite a few roadblocks, deal with all the details of adding a baby to the family, and cover for my husband on the childcare front as he's had crazy OT hours on top of taking 2 intensive summer courses.

So I think the trigger to getting lax with my scrolling/logging off has been my inability to stay on top of everything extra despite a sincere effort to do so. It's like, "if I can't do it all, I'm going to put everything on the chopping block." Which, like I mentioned before, is silly. Better to keep trucking along, doing what I can do (sticking with my regular responsibilities and dealing with the extras as time allows) and letting that be good enough.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: June 29, 2020, 05:56:31 PM »
I'm going to take a break from the normally serious tone of this thread to say...  yay for babies!!!  :):):)

I'm excited!  Our littlest is in a "daddy" phase.  Those are the best!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: June 29, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »
I'm going to take a break from the normally serious tone of this thread to say...  yay for babies!!!  :):):)

I'm excited!  Our littlest is in a "daddy" phase.  Those are the best!

Haha, thanks! My husband is definitely the most popular one around here.

I'll try not to make my posts all about babies and toddlers this next year, but I think the topic is fairly relevant to the thread since the internet is THE most enticing break from the rigors of raising little ones! These early/middle adult years with schooling/career/family pursuits are intense!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: July 03, 2020, 06:23:12 AM »
With family visiting I just started leaving my phone out in the glovebox. It's amazing how just a little distance to the phone changes your behavior so drastically.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #263 on: July 06, 2020, 01:53:06 PM »
This past weekend I did 2/2.5/2.5 hours of surf time. Last week I also scrolled my facebook groups on 3 separate occasions outside of the designated times. 2 were distractions after looking up a specific piece of information. 1 was just scrolling for scrolling's sake.

I'm still in a transition with these final days before baby (last night was a full moon, but nothing) and I also have not reinstated my reading habit since the pandemic hit. I've had success with eating my frog despite the distractions and trouble logging off, so I'm still getting my stuff done. I'm just not using my downtime the way I'd like. I really enjoy surfing when it's in its rightful place (when there are limits). But last week and weekend it didn't feel enjoyable and it reminded me of the phrase: "you can never get enough of what you don't really need".

I'm thinking to spend a bit of money on non-digital media. Like buy books instead of borrowing them and purchase subscriptions to print news, magazines, and radio/podcast/music apps. I guess I'd like to have my non-screen leisure time be as rich as possible. And right now it's kind've meh- I get most stuff from the library, but I'm not very consistent about managing my account. I'm wondering if just purchasing my media will make it more constant. My husband and I are also shifting gears a bit financially to find a better balance between YOLO and FI. We're still trying to reach certain goals, but also focusing just as much on what a good life might look like in the meantime. And I'm thinking that looks like subscriptions for me!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: July 06, 2020, 09:32:38 PM »
I've been away from the forum for a few weeks. My phone usage has worsened over that time, but my computer usage has improved.

Last week (6/28-7/4) I logged 58 screen hours, 26.5 of which were on my phone. That's a 10 hour decrease overall, but a near-doubling of the phone time. This is explained by a death in my family this week, but I can't let it become a new normal.

Major consideration:
Various texting apps   11 hours   +4 hours
Phone browser   4.5 hours+3 hours
Skype/Zoom/Discord   4 hour-1 hour; mostly social
MS Office   4 hours
Email   3.5 hours   
Facebook   3 hours-5.5 hours
News   3 hours-2.5 hours
Podcast app   3 hoursconsidered semi-productive
Tumblr   3 hours-1 hour
YNAB   2 hours
Reading science papers   1.5 hours
MMM forum   1.5 hours   -1 hour
Twitter   1 hourSame as before

ageless-human

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #265 on: July 07, 2020, 06:05:24 AM »
I turned off my phone for Friday & Saturday. Crazy how I turned it on Sunday and I barely missed anything in regard to emails, messages, and calls.

I'm thinking I should just remove my personal email from my phone as checking it has become a fairly frequent activity. I currently have all my apps in a single folder on my phone and left on the 2nd page, so I can't see anything. I just use Spotlight to get to the app I want, but not sure if that has actually deterred my browsing much. What strategies have the rest of you implemented?

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #266 on: July 07, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »
Worked on projects this morning while my toddler played. I was really tempted to go to scroll facebook and would have justified it with looking up information or sending a message through Messenger. But I remembered to check in here. I'm determined to get back to scrolling only during designated times (including logging off an hour before bed during my surf days). It helps to check in here with each urge to weaken the compelled feeling.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #267 on: July 19, 2020, 11:42:20 AM »
Last week (7/12-7/18) I logged 76.5 screen hours, 23 of which were on my phone. Not great overall! But I had a deadline Thursday and my usage distinctly dropped after that. Aiming to make this week better.

Major consideration:
MS Office   11 hours+7 hours
Various texting apps   10 hours   -1 hours
Python   6.5 hours   +6.5 hours
Email   4.5 hours   +1 hour
Phone browser   4 hours
MMM forum   4 hours   +2.5 hours
Tumblr   2.5 hours
Video game   2 hours+2 hours
Skype/Zoom/Discord   3.5 hours
Apartment hunting   3 hours
Sheet music   1.5 hours
Slack   1.5 hours
Facebook   2 hours-1 hours
News   2 hours-1 hours
Podcast app   1 hours
YNAB   1 hours
Twitter   1 hour
Food   1 hours

That was more positive usage than I expected, but it's definitely a pattern that I use more negative/unnecessary sites when I am on the computer more in general.

Next week I want to limit my phone browser and my forum usage. I better get off now!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #268 on: July 20, 2020, 10:31:44 AM »
The new baby is a week old and we're getting into a rhythm. He has reflux so he takes his naps (4 of them) in a carrier, during which time my hands are free. My husband has paternity leave and is on toddler duty during the day. In the evening he takes the baby for an hour so I can do a little self care.

My screen goals for the next 5 weeks are:
-no scrolling on my phone during breastfeeding or self care time
-use the first 3 naps for: spending time with my daughter, tidying up/restocking supplies, to do list details, household paperwork, side hustle, food prep, chores, and keeping in touch with friends.
-use the last nap for scrolling facebook, mmm, etc.
-for unexpected downtime, do screen-free media (news, magazines, books, music, podcasts, etc)

I'm excited to have a bit of an internet use do-over this time around!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #269 on: July 20, 2020, 10:50:45 PM »
The new baby is a week old and we're getting into a rhythm.

Ah, I was wondering why the thread was so quiet! Congratulations!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2020, 07:36:49 PM »
I really want to scroll Facebook while the baby's feeding and even picked up my phone to do so... but remembered I could also check in here. I've wanted to scroll numerous times these past 2 weeks, but haven't! I'd like to keep the momentum because it feels really good to enjoy my scroll time rather than use it for zoning out.

It's been a long day and I get a few hours to myself tonight. I'm going to relax with a magazine and can scroll again nap time tomorrow.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #271 on: July 26, 2020, 12:30:22 PM »
Last week (7/19-7/25) I logged 76.5 screen hours, 20 of which were on my phone. That's very nearly the same as last week, which is disappointing.

Major consideration:
Skype/Zoom/Discord   13.5 hours+10 hours! Ugh, the meetings this week...
Various texting apps   9 hours   -1 hours
MMM forum   4.5 hours   +0.5 hours
Video game   4 hours+2 hours
Email   4 hours   -0.5 hour
News   3.5 hours+1.5 hours
MS Office   3 hours
Online book reading   2.5 hours   
Slack   2 hours+0.5 hours
Phone browser   2 hours-2 hours
Facebook   2 hours= hours
YNAB   2 hours+1 hours
Youtube   2 hours
Python   1 hours   

I did cut down on the phone browser, but not the forum usage, so I'll focus on the latter for this week. I'd also like to see my overall usage down in the low 60s.

ageless-human

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: July 27, 2020, 04:38:04 PM »
Wow, last week was bad. I got my screen time notification on Sunday and it was at an average of 4.5 hours. That's a 50% increase over the previous week and much higher than my goal of 2 hours.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2020, 04:55:09 PM »
My days are kind've a twilight zone of feeding baby and trying to get him to sleep. Now I remember why I got so hooked on scrolling when my daughter was a newborn- despite the intensity of this age, there's a lot of time where the baby is on you and you can't do anything else... anything but scroll on your phone, that is.

Once this baby eats less and sleeps more, I really want to pick up where I left off with the habits I've established this year. The best way to do that is to keep my scrolling to 1 nap.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: July 28, 2020, 06:42:57 AM »
What strategies have the rest of you implemented?

Turning alerts off.  Monitoring time with rescue time. 

I used to spend more effort trying to block things but if you want to get around the blocks there is always a way.  Working on the underlying impulse has been more effective on the long run and is in my view more sustainable.  But literal blocks or bans can be helpful if your impulses are really strong at first.  Sometimes I hand my wife my phone and say "don't give me this back until after dinner."

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2020, 06:30:39 AM »
Had a bit of a free-for-all the past few days. Babe has some medical issues that required a few procedures and follow-up therapies. Thankfully, outcomes look excellent, but he' requires much more care beyond the regular newborn stuff. I (or my partner) hold him for all naps and I've been scrolling during that time and at feedings too 

Now that I have a better idea of what to expect these next few months, I've written up a little daily plan for meeting his needs and taking better care of myself. It includes scrolling time during the first nap. I'm going to keep coming back to that!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2020, 11:38:23 AM »

I used to spend more effort trying to block things but if you want to get around the blocks there is always a way.  Working on the underlying impulse has been more effective on the long run and is in my view more sustainable.  But literal blocks or bans can be helpful if your impulses are really strong at first.  Sometimes I hand my wife my phone and say "don't give me this back until after dinner."

You can always get around blocks, but for me it's about interrupting the automatic habit. The further out of my way I have to go to get around the block, the more effective it will be in reminding me of my goals. It can be as simple as turning off fingerprint unlock or rearranging the apps on my phone, or keeping chrome closed by default on my computer with desktop shortcuts to the few sites I actually need. (The URL bar in a blank new tab is a trigger for my bad habits.) I use some extensions that simplify websites (ex. remove "suggested videos" from YouTube) and I aim to keep my phone at a charging dock instead of constantly by my side. Basically, I try to reduce the opportunities for temptation.

Last week (7/26-8/1) I logged 67 screen hours, 20.5 of which were on my phone. That's a decrease overall, but the same amount of phone time.

Major consideration:
Various texting apps   10.5 hours   +1.5 hours
News   5 hours+1.5 hours
Skype/Zoom/Discord   4.5 hours
Games   4.5 hours   Some social, some worthless mobile games
Python   4.5 hours   +3.5 hours
Email   4 hours   = hours
PDF reader   3 hours   
MMM forum   2.5 hours   -2 hours
MS Office   2.5 hours-0.5
Youtube   2 hours
Facebook   2 hours= hours
Advice column   1.5 hoursoof
Slack   1.5 hours
YNAB   1.5 hours
Phone browser   1 hours-1 hours

This week I cut down on the phone browser and the forum usage, so that's a success. I wanted to see my total usage in the low 60s, which I didn't quite manage. The stuff I most want to change is already fixed for next week - I spent an hour on a mobile game as a way to connect with my kid sister, but decided it didn't serve that goal well and already uninstalled it. Overall, I'm not too upset with the distribution of this time, but I'd like to decrease it by 10-20% across the board. Let's see how low I can go!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: August 05, 2020, 09:33:38 AM »

You can always get around blocks, but for me it's about interrupting the automatic habit. The further out of my way I have to go to get around the block, the more effective it will be in reminding me of my goals. It can be as simple as turning off fingerprint unlock or rearranging the apps on my phone, or keeping chrome closed by default on my computer with desktop shortcuts to the few sites I actually need. [/b].

I've done some of that too, like hiding mail from the front of my home screen, physically putting away the phone, etc.   I do find these environmental triggers helpful.  The issue I had was I tried to physically block some sites, but then I would find a way around it and then the habit came back.  When I had a lot of success in the fall / spring, before the virus hit, I did it more by "habit stacking."  So just focus on eliminating one site, and then another, and then cutting off at a certain time, etc. until you take greater and greater challenges.  Unfortunately, the "OK, today I won't look at the internet" type declarations just rarely work. 

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: August 05, 2020, 09:38:34 AM »
Ok, so I did a pretty good job decompressing on vacation and then it came roaring back over the last few days.  I did start today off well by getting up early to exercise, so I'm hoping to build on that.  I'm going to start small not by tracking time but with a few goals / habits:

Goal 1:  Don't click on two sites (one a city forum, the other a political blog) that I have historically wasted a bunch of time on.
Goal 2:  Shut internet off at 10pm. 

Routine creation:  Before you pick up phone, log on internet, or do a non-work task on work computer, orally announce what you intend to do and how long you expect to spend. 

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2020, 07:52:55 AM »
Going to post slightly more frequently until I get back on track.

So I deleted rescue time from my work computer out of paranoia that my company would see it and be like "egads, you waste a lot of time on the interwebs and what's all this about retiring early."  Anyways so it only tracks my phone and home computer now.

After a struggle on Wednesday, on Thursday I did avoid the two sites completely (OK, one I spent like a minute on and then ran away, but I'm being reasonable here).  I also dropped time from 7.5 hours to 6.75 hours.  Egads, that's still a lot.  The biggest culprit was just a long stretch from 7pm until a little after 11 where I surfed around while watching TV. 

Today's goal is dead simple.  Less time than yesterday! 

I think what would be cool is if we pool our resources and create a little guide that we could stick as a first post.  I'm happy to contribute to that if others think it would be interesting. 

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: August 08, 2020, 07:02:40 AM »
After a struggle on Wednesday, on Thursday I did avoid the two sites completely (OK, one I spent like a minute on and then ran away, but I'm being reasonable here).  I also dropped time from 7.5 hours to 6.75 hours.  Egads, that's still a lot.  The biggest culprit was just a long stretch from 7pm until a little after 11 where I surfed around while watching TV. 

Today's goal is dead simple.  Less time than yesterday! 

Way better yesterday!  The app tells me 6.5 hours, but 2-3 hours of that was me trying to get Fitbit to update (including lots of time where I was away from the phone doing other things but the screen was awake as the install was loading, then crashing, then loading again).  So probably 4 hours max of real personal screen time, I'd guess 1 hour of which was useful and 3 hours was not really necessary.  Stayed off both the bad sites.

So for this weekend I'm going to keep my goal really easy (it's the weekend) and stay under the 6.5 today and then make sure Sunday is lower than Saturday.  And stay off the two bad sites.  Then I'll check back and build from there.

A few things that have really helped.  First, I downloaded an app called Quitzilla (and paid to remove ads as my reward for an accomplishment at work).  It's fun because it sets a timer for bad habits so you can see how long you can get a streak for.  It's been 2 days, 15 hours, 20 minutes and 6 seconds since I went on the distracting city forum!  I have a widget in the top of my screen that I can look at.  It turns it into a bit of a game. 

Second, I'm doing it by habit stacking and starting small.  The first day it was really hard to not click on two two banned sites, then yesterday it was easier.  I know from history that in a week or so (it took me a month the first time, but this time should be easier), I'll basically forget all about them.  Then I can stack more habits on that.  (The ultimate holy grail for me is if I can regularly limit non-productive internet screentime to under one hour a day.) 

The habit stacking approach is more sustainable, and satisfying, to me than just trying to ban the sites via brute force, though the downside is then in times of stress (like this coronavirus situation) I know my tendency to revert to bad habits will flare up.  Once I get the habits dialed down generally, I'll need to work on that.

Third, I'm trying to create a replacement habit.  So after dinner two days in a row I took my daughter for a walk.  It was fun.  Two days ago she saw a friend and held a puppy!  Yesterday we saw a fire truck and ambulance (not fun for someone else but interesting to a 6 year old). 

Ok, onward and upward.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: August 12, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »
Ok, so weird experience.

I did a pretty good job over the weekend.  Not amazing, but good.  Then on Monday afternoon I got an irresistible impulse to mess around on the internet.  I think this was triggered by two things.  First, the project I had at work was deadly boring, and I was having trouble focusing, and working on deadly boring things takes me to my bad place (where I start to catastrophize, I think in part based on literal PTSD from how much I hated my first job out of school).  Second, I saw (cuz I cheated) about the looting in Chicago and then I wanted to read more and then I started to read other things then lo and behold after some half-assed work and a dinner break it was 12:30 and I was watching youtube videos about maps, remote islands, skiing down K2.  All much cooler than politics but still.

I got a terrible night sleep even though I was technically in bed for 8 hours (that's what a screen binge will do) but then I woke up with like no urge to look at anything the next day.  Previously if I had a bad day I'd have like a string of them (particularly when the coronarvirus was fresh and I was catastrophizing) , but it was more like there was tension built up and I released it and then I didn't care.  Which is good b/c I don't do all or nothing thinking anymore so I'm back on the saddle and things are going well.  But I also need to figure out how to work myself down when I'm just in mood and how to cut myself off when I know I started a binge. 

My best answer right now is to go for a walk.  Trying to get back to work at a time like that is like torture, but a walk physically removes me from the issue and gives me a chance to reset and let the moment pass.  It's amazing how different I will feel sometimes after a reset. 

EDIT:  Small victory.  We took a break on Monday from the "family fun no screens after dinner" ritual since it was a billion degrees outside, and then on Tuesday my daughter was like "daddy it's family fun time" and then we went on a walk and played Go Fish.  So first of all she actually helped me and second of all it's been a success for everyone (way better than watching Barbie). 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:00:24 AM by LWYRUP »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #282 on: August 14, 2020, 09:53:00 PM »
I survived newborn boot camp!

It was a bit of a doozy that first month since the baby had a few health issues that required care above and beyond the usual feed/change/sleep routine. But he's doing much better now and is turning out to be a great little sleeper and overall just a really easygoing kid. I'm so pleased to have him around.

I'm not pleased with my internet use this past month though. I held the baby constantly until about a week ago when we transitioned him to the bassinet. There wasn't much more to do during that time than scroll on my phone while he snoozed or ate. I could have found something like audiobooks or podcasts to listen to, but I didn't. I was on Facebook and MMM, my go-tos. It was also a pretty stressful month and I am starting to feel the pandemic-related isolation. I'm very introverted and had plenty to keep me busy while preparing for the baby. Now that he's here, I just want to get out with him and the toddler and connect with people. I think my scrolling was ultimately a way for me to try deal with my stress and loneliness. It helped relieve stress and made me feel more connected in the short term. But I know my internet habits are not healthy ways of dealing with either and actually exacerbate those states in the long term. Better to find non-internet de-stressors and to ramp up my socially distant connections with others.

My husband is going back to work pretty soon and I did a practice run this week to see what my day with 2 kids will look like and to troubleshoot any issues that come up. I think the three of us should be fine, mostly because the newborn is a really easy baby. He's also started consistently settling for the night at a respectable hour, so it looks like I have my evenings back. I will be starting up my side hustle and Spanish studies next week. Having a normal rhythm to my day again will be helpful in regulating my internet use. I think it will also be good to uninstall the browser from my phone. That makes it way easier, especially since I use the phone's clock and flashlight while I feed the baby. I'm tempted to scroll around while I'm just sitting there.

So, to revisit my internet boundaries:

Keep the laptop and phone off while the kids are awake (including while I'm feeding the baby) -and uninstall that browser-
Use naps and toddler's independent playtime to shower, exercise, and tidy the house.
Use time when my husband has both kids to tackle my to-do list, paperwork, and Spanish
Use unexpected downtime (when I've completed my responsibilities) for non-screen media (books, magazines, newspapers, podcasts, music...) and projects
Use my evenings for hanging out with my husband, doing my side hustle and then an hour of the following:
-Projects x 2 days
-Surfing x 3 days
-Non-screen media x 2 days
Swallow the frog: do the least enjoyable thing first, so I feel like I'm coasting through my day

I'm sure I'll want to scroll a lot at first as I move away from doing it so much. I'll try to check in here to reinforce healthier internet habits. @LWYRUP and @Tass , I like your approaches with the replacement habit and interrupting the automatic habit. I think both of those will be helpful this week.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:20:48 AM by Luz »

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: August 14, 2020, 10:00:10 PM »
I think what would be cool is if we pool our resources and create a little guide that we could stick as a first post.  I'm happy to contribute to that if others think it would be interesting.

I love that idea. RescueTime is my main recommendation, along with AppBlock and I'm trying out YourHour for the phone.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #284 on: August 16, 2020, 10:13:40 AM »
I'd really love to scroll right now.
I'm tired. Babe has a therapy I have to wake him for at a certain time at night and it falls between his 2 night feedings. The toddler wakes for the day an hour after his last feed. I'm not getting much sleep.

I think I'm feeling a bit anxious too. I have to take babe in to be seen for another health issue. It's hard to know, when making medical decisions on his behalf, what is the best choice. And I suppose I don't like to sit with that uncertainty.

But despite the tiredness and anxiety and the resulting pull towards using the internet to just check out for a time, I actually like having clear boundaries around its use again. I think they'll actually be good for ddressing how I feel.

So instead of zoning out, I'll take steps to resolve the tiredness (take a nap/go to bed early) and anxiety (call the pediatric hotline for the on-call provider to get her opinion before taking him to urgent care).

I already feel better!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2020, 01:34:13 PM »
Update from my August 16 post:

After checking in here, I called 2 providers for their opinion and made a decision I felt good about. I then took a shower, did my exercises, took a nap and tidied the house. That night I thoroughly enjoyed my designated scrolling time.

Showing up for the next right thing and tackling the harder stuff first makes such a difference. It was great to address the issue rather than zone out to the internet. I enjoy the internet so much more when I don't use it as a means to avoid something else.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #286 on: August 21, 2020, 10:52:39 AM »
I'm going to try something different. Instead of taking my surf time in the evening, I will read, do non-screen media, and projects. During the time I'm kid-free (nap, solo playtime, and when my husband has them) I will surf after I've done my other responsibilities (shower/tidy, exercise, and 1 step on to-do list/house papers + 3 words Spanish vocab). So essentially, I'll switch my unexpected downtime to surfing.

I have about 30 minutes a day when I'm nursing and the toddler is otherwise occupied. I'm trying to establish a replacement habit of reading blogs (MMM, Bilingual Monkeys, A Mother Far From Home, and Cup of Jo) and listening to podcasts instead of scrolling on my phone. I'll just need to remember to grab headphones before I sit down. What blogs or podcasts do you all like?

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2020, 08:45:16 PM »
Surfing during unexpected downtime (after my responsibilities are done, but the next thing hasn't yet begun) has been great! It keeps me productive with my tasks because I know that if I finish them early, I get to surf. And I feel like I'm getting away with something when I spend my downtime surfing rather than doing something productive. I figure that as long as my day is full of things that get me closer to living my best life, filling in the space with something non-productive is just fine. I probably get in 30 minutes to 1 hour of surfing total each day with this method. I hope I've discovered something that will consistently work for me!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #288 on: August 31, 2020, 01:34:22 PM »
Still excited about surfing during downtime. I've had an issue with going to bed at a decent hour though. I pump before I go to bed and scroll on my phone meanwhile. But it's really hard to not get sucked in. Then I go to bed late. And a good night's sleep is really important for my quality of life. So I'm going to get a Spotify subscription and start listening to music and also podcasts during that time (starting with: Stuff You Should Know, The Moth Podcast and Radio Ambulante). It will no longer be empty space to fill with scrolling.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #289 on: September 07, 2020, 11:37:07 PM »
So I've totally been scrolling while pumping despite my podcast intentions. I listened to The Moth one time and it felt too... productive. On top of that, I've been staying up until 10 or 11pm, which is unwise with a toddler and newborn. I'm thinking to fire up a blocking app again that shuts things down at 8:50pm, so I get my butt in bed.

I wonder if unsanctioned scrolling time will pop up during the day if I do that though. It's clearly a psychological issue. I don't feel exhausted, or like it's unsustainable at all, but I AM going,going all day long. Maybe the scrolling is about unwinding and not wanting to give up the scarce time I have with my own thoughts

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2020, 09:31:54 PM »
I'm still not going to bed at a decent hour.

My days are very full right now and it's working really well to use unexpected downtime for surfing, after I've swallowed all my frogs. I'm very happy with my daytime productivity. I'm motivated to get my stuff done. I'm surfing 30 minutes to an hour everyday. 30 minutes at the end of the kid's afternoon nap (after I've exercised) and 5 minute chunks here and there, if I complete my other tasks early.

But I only have 30 minutes or so in the evening for "me" time after I do my side hustle, hang out with my husband, and pump. And I think that's why I'm working on projects (and sometimes surfing) late into the night. I don't think 30 minutes is enough for me to decompress.

So I decided that until I drop the pumping session in a month or so and have at least an hour in the evening all to myself, I'm going to not go outside every morning with the kids and instead work on projects then. My toddler has tolerated my doing so, as long as I'm sitting on the floor with her while she plays. The baby usually cooperates and sleeps. Once I get my hour back in the evening, we'll go outside consistently again.

Tonight I forgot that I have a drive-by baby shower for a friend tomorrow. I used my 30 minutes to order a gift and map my route to the host's house. I'm tempted to stay up late and work on the project I had planned for this evening. But, I'll save it for what would have been our time outside.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:36:59 PM by Luz »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #291 on: September 27, 2020, 02:35:37 PM »
Things have been trucking along pretty well with my latest strategy this past month. I am still going to bed late but otherwise everything is getting done and I have a little time leftover to relax during the day.

Except last week things went to pot because I overextended myself. I had 5 appointments on top of the usual responsibilities and it was way too much. I wasn't able to get my core stuff done (exercise, work, some days even shower, etc) because there just wasn't enough time. I easily revert to an all-or-nothing mindset, so instead of saying that I'll just do 15 minutes of work instead of the full hour or do one set of exercises instead of 5 (do the best I can with what I've got), I ended up surfing with the little time I had leftover from the things that demanded my attention and ignored the other stuff.

The positive is that I discovered my balance with scheduling my calendar (2 extra outings per week max). I also have developed a good structure and somewhat of a habit around following it, so I feel it's pretty doable to get back on track. I'd like to better address the all-or-nothing thinking though. It's fine if I don't get in 100% of my exercise session or whatever everyday. The important thing for me is consistency and just showing up for each area of my life in whatever way life at the time allows. It feels really good when I do so.

I'd like to continue to address going to bed late as well. I probably am trying to fit in too much with the 6 kid-free hours I have per day. I use my 3 daytime hours to shower, exercise, study Spanish vocab, and tackle an item on my to-do list. I'm trying to cram in an hour of my side hustle, 30-40 minutes of preparing for bed and pumping, an hour catching up with my husband, 30 minutes doing household management tasks, and an hour to read or do projects. I think I need to reduce the time spent in some of those areas, since I see now that I'm an hour+ over what's available to me. But I'll keep the hour for reading or projects, because I need that downtime for myself to be able to sustain everything else.

Pumping last thing also kind've sucks because if I have a task as the last thing for the day, I'll procrastinate doing it. But I have to pump right before bed to make sure the stretch without feeds isn't too long. And though I wanted to drop it once my supply regulated, I'm now thinking to hang on to it for the whole year of breastfeeding. Even though it's a PITA, a 15 minute per day investment is totally worth keeping my supply strong.

I'll try to reduce my kid-free tasks down to 6 hours and will come up with strategies for not procrastinating the pump session. Maybe I can reward myself somehow after it's done. I'll also focus on showing up for each task during the day (work, exercise, etc) even if I can't complete the full time allotted.

The end of this month will mark a year into this challenge. It's not been perfect (and the pandemic and having a newborn were really big challenges for me) but I think I've come a long way and have a lot to work with moving forward.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 08:43:39 PM by Luz »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: October 09, 2020, 11:04:39 AM »
Since this thread started, my phone screen time reports have gone from 3-ish hours daily to over 7.

The good news is that I'm in good touch with everyone. Will see if this weekend's report shows some backward movement.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #293 on: October 13, 2020, 12:20:49 PM »
I've been thinking of year #2 of this challenge and what I want to focus on. What comes to mind is the phrase: "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good".

Most of the time I'm online when my wise mind self would rather be doing something else, it's because I was unable to complete what I had intended for the morning or day or whatever. If I can't do things 100%, I convince myself that I shouldn't even bother. And not bothering for me usually looks like surfing since it requires 0 effort.

Why not instead pick up where I left off and give it a solid performance? I was reading the other day that perfection is more of a concept than reality. Life is messy. Success is gradual. I think I'll get much farther if I make this shift in my thinking, because I will steadily chip away at the things I want rather than start and stop whenever life requires plan B.

So this year my focus will be on finding ways to shift that mindset.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2020, 09:12:57 PM »
Surfing after I completed my other responsibilities worked really well and was such a good balance for a time.

But then my daily kid-free time shortened by a few hours since the baby started taking less naps and my husband had to reduce the amount of time he's on duty with the kids due to a more demanding school/work schedule. I had just enough time to get my things done, but no time left over to surf or read or relax. This resulted in blowing off my responsibilities to surf anyway.

I finally acknowledged that I was trying to do too much. And decided to give up my side hustle at the end of the year. It'll take longer to reach our financial goals, but we have a lot on our plates right now. Quality of life is more important. So hopefully having time to relax again will help. I'm already feeling better.

But in the end, I'm planning to try out a 12 step program for internet addiction. My first meeting is tomorrow. I happen to also be celebrating 10 years of recovery this Friday in another 12 step program (!!!) and thought that a great way to mark that milestone would be to use the same method to address my compulsive behavior around internet use.

The past year in this MMM challenge has helped in so many ways and I have a much better understanding of what I'm dealing with. But I still find it so hard to regulate my internet use. I do fine for a time, then go right back to where I was. Time to bring out the big guns!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: November 10, 2020, 06:29:09 AM »
Congratulations on the milestone!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #296 on: December 02, 2020, 09:53:23 PM »
Kinda hoping Luz's absence here means their 12 step program is helping!

I just completed a big deadline/milestone and hoping to recommit. I always find I slip in my habits during stressful times.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!