Author Topic: Own up to your internet usage  (Read 28183 times)

Tass

• Magnum Stache
Re: Own up to your internet usage
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2020, 11:22:17 AM »
This week (3/29-4/4) I logged 63 screen hours, 16 of which were on my phone - pretty similar to last week.

This week I finished all of Crash Course statistics; I succeeded at ricotta and tried my hand at dumbed-down puff pastry; I got halfway through a 500-page book; and I continued keeping in touch with friends and family.

Major consideration:
Various texting apps   8.5 hours   1 hour increase
Youtube + online class   7.5 hoursMost youtube is educational content
Email   5.5 hours   
MS Office   4.5 hours
Social distance contact   4 hours   Includes work, volunteer, and social time
Facebook   3 hoursDoubled!
MMM forum   2.5 hours   Slight decrease
News   2 hoursSame as before
Video game   2 hours
YNAB   1.5 hours
Tumblr   1 hours
Coding   1 hour   

This week I noticed myself craving something frivolous to fill my time, something I pursued just for enjoyment. It was a tough week (an elderly relative passed away - not from COVID, but we still can't hold a funeral), so I relaxed my expectations. I'll have to monitor whether that kind of bland relaxation remains a healthy break or starts trying to consume more of my time.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2020, 01:38:49 PM »
I'm checking in here after naps because it's hard to pull myself away from news. Check-ins have been the ticket for me with surfing, so I'm applying them to the news.
Today's nap is now over and I'm putting away the news until tomorrow! Like with surfing, it's nice to know that any interesting articles or forum discussion can rollover to the next appropriate time.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2020, 05:11:59 PM »
Almost talked myself into spending an extra hour digesting the news today. The toddler has dropped down from a 2 hour to 1.5 hour nap now that she's close to 2 years. So I don't have much time to read the news after exercise, a household detail, and checking my messages.

My partner is also on duty in the afternoon after nap so I technically have the time to spare at least a few days a week after doing my productive afternoon stuff. But I remembered saying that unexpected downtime will be for reading and projects. So that's what I'll do.

I don't have my side hustle anymore for the foreseeable future, so what I could do is keep my morning and afternoon the same and shuffle around my evening so I can spend a little longer (rather than 15 minutes a day) on the news.

Between catching up with my partner and reading before bed I'll try the following for an hour in the evenings and see how it goes:

-Spanish
-Social (Facebook Groups)
-Paperwork
-Hobbies (listened to a podcast last week, which I haven't done in forever)
-Projects
-News
-Non Surfing Internet (challenge updates, blogs, keep/pocket, forum research- I've been asking questions to my groups whenever they come up, but it's important to keep my checking of responses to certain times-)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 05:13:43 PM by Luz »

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2020, 06:53:57 PM »
I was lax on myself this week, which is fine, but I think it's time to get back in the swing of things. In particular, I want to replace my screen relaxation with podcasts, possibly paired with other tasks like cleaning.

This week (4/12-4/18) I logged 62 screen hours, 17 of which were on my phone - pretty similar to last week.

This week I made gumbo and cornbread (new recipe), got in touch with a few people for the first time in a while, aaaaand... Not much else of note, frankly. Started rewatching a beloved TV show to introduce a roommate.

Major consideration:
Video game   10 hours   
Various texting apps   8.5 hours   same as last week
Python practice   4.5 hours   
News   4 hours   Doubled, somehow
Phone browser   3.5 hoursSome of this is jackbox games (which is allowed), but not all
MMM forum   2.5 hours   Same as last week
Zoom   2.5 hours   
Youtube   2 hours   
Email   2 hours   Big decrease
MS Office   2 hours
Facebook   1 hoursBig decrease

I've re-enabled my phone internet blocker, but set weekends to be allowed; I had unblocked it to play jackbox games, but then kept using it. I'm also uninstalling the video game. I can still relax, but I'm going to do it with podcasts instead. Everyone is putting out coronavirus bonus episodes and I have LESS down time to listen, so I'm falling behind!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2020, 09:46:53 PM »
Positive: this week I finally caught up on my Spanish challenge.
Could use some work: I've fallen behind on my reading and sleeping challenges over the past month. And my internet usage could use a little tightening up.

I feel good about the different slots that I've allocated for internet use with this new normal (nap time after exercise + a few evenings a week after connecting with my partner and before reading). But it's still hard for me to shut it down until the next session because there's just too much to research and analyze.

Today, for example, I read the news during nap time before exercising (I still had lunch to finish, so I thought, "why not switch up the nap time order?"). I ended up just blowing off exercise in order to look at news for 2 hours (though I did exercise later in the afternoon). My evenings are somewhat similar. On my surf days, I've been blowing off reading in order to surf longer (around 2 hours) and have also been going to bed late.

I think three things will help me contain surfing/news to its appropriate time and make the other habits (especially reading and early bedtime) more doable:

1) Exercise right after the toddler goes down for a nap. And follow that with a household detail and text/facebook messages check. Having a sense of accomplishment works wonders for being able to more easily log off. Otherwise I just think: "I blew it, so I might as well drag it out further". Doing an activity with the toddler right when she wakes up (she loves when I draw animals with her, so that's what we'll do) may also help with that aimless feeling. 

2) Connect with my husband in the evening right after the toddler goes to bed. Otherwise, I do my surfing first thing and it's too easy to let it drag on. Similar to nap time, if I feel like I've accomplished something towards building the things I want for my life before surfing, it's easier to pull myself away in order to do other effortful things as well (read!).

3) Check in here for nap and evening log-offs to reinforce my long-term, rather than momentary desires. That's a daily check-in and 3 weekly ones. Outside of my challenge threads, I will also save MMM for my weekly news analysis session. I think that's part of the nap time problem: I read news updates and then head over to MMM. I'd like the latter to be more of a weekly, than a daily thing. So again, I'll check-in here in order to log off when my times are up, if I have the urge to surf and it's not time, or if I get distracted by surfing when I'm doing something task-based online.

Time to log off and get reading!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2020, 09:21:15 PM »
Today I had an appointment during nap time, so I did my news update earlier this evening. Then moved on to paperwork. Time to get reading. I'm determined to make reading and going to bed early habit again. Did both last night and it felt great!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2020, 10:19:59 PM »
Started toilet training the toddler today. It's right up there with teething as one of my least favorite aspects of raising a kid. She didn't have one accident... which was unfortunate, because she just held in her business and refused to go the entire day. Turns out she has great bladder control, which will likely prove challenging in terms of training. So I had to change tactics and come up with a plan. During nap time and since she's gone to bed, I did some troubleshooting research. I also caught up on news tonight along with some MMM threads (it was my night to do so, but I did 2 hours instead of 1). I'm un-showered, didn't exercise, didn't connect with my partner, and didn't read. But I'm logging in here, so that's a plus. Tomorrow is a new day (and I think I might have some training strategies for the camel I'm dealing with). Whatever goes down tomorrow, I will try to get in a shower and exercise. In the evening: connect with my partner, do projects, read, and go to bed early.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2020, 01:29:42 PM »
Logging off my news update.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2020, 09:58:29 AM »
Ok, I've been hesitant to post here because I've been doing a bad job, but I'm coming back.

In late February / March, I spent a ton of time online reading about coronavirus.  It was unhealthy for me and stressed me out but I couldn't stop.  I think I learned that my bad habits flare during stressful times.  Then I spent a lot of time obsessing over my portfolio, because I was mad that I was early on the coronavirus stuff (I was prepping in February during market peaks once it was clear it spread to Italy) but didn't touch my investments.  I had trained myself that I can't predict the markets and it turns out at that in least one case I could.  But I didn't compound mistakes and pull out late, and I actually rebalanced into equities (and put a little more in) on the way down, so that was good.  I also have stayed free of the three sites I wanted to avoid -- I think I literally just looked at one of them once -- during the bad stretch.  Most of my time wasting was on reddit, which before this I would rarely use.  I since kicked the reddit habit, but then have been wasting more time on bogleheads and here. 

In April things have been better, and I've been able to find a better balance.  Things aren't still optimal, but it's a balancing act because I can also be very hard on myself, so I am trying to make sure I challenge myself in positive ways. 

My goal this week is to stop looking at / posting on bogleheads.  It's a useful site for specific financial information, but the reality is I have everything is managed on auto-pilot anyways, and any adjustments would be very small gains and I have a sense of what I'd want to do anyways.  I don't actually need advice and I just go there for personal finance dork entertainment.  Also, I remember now from the last few weeks how time consuming it is to learn about the intricacies of the market and why I decided previously to just stick with buy-and-hold three fund investing.  Let's assume just "in arguendo" that I could actually be or become knowledgeable enough to eek out a tiny risk-adjusted return above the S&P... how much time would that take and would that time be better spent on something else anyways?

My second goal, which I am struggling with, is not to go cold turkey on this site (I do need some outlet, and just saying "LWYRUP from now on just be perfectly efficient at everything" doesn't work sustainably) and I like that people focus on all sorts of self-improvement things on here and are also a bit countercultural) but to limit it to a certain period of time each day / week.  I have a bad habit right now of just stopping to check for new posts every, say, 20-30 minutes. It's just a few minutes of distraction but it adds up and it's just frustrating to want to stop a habit but to keep slipping up.

What are some techniques you all use to avoid that clicky / phone pickup urge?  My pomodoro timer app has been pretty effective so I'll use that this afternoon.  What I am NOT going to do is spend a lot of time "researching" about productivity.  One of my most kafkaesque bad habits that I'm training myself out of. 

If all goes well I'll check back here tonight but not before. :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:05:25 AM by LWYRUP »

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2020, 07:55:22 PM »
@LWYRUP I definitely relate to bad habits cropping up during stress, and to too much COVID news being unhelpful. I definitely have the same issue with MMM; right now I am only allowed access to ALL restricted sites between 5-8pm each day, plus all day on Sunday. That includes news, facebook, and this forum. It forces me to prioritize (I don't waste my time checking stuff I don't care about), but it gives me a chance to relax and catch up once a week if necessary. Personally I absolutely depend on blockers like StayFocusd, and I use the nuclear mode.

Last week (4/19-4/25) I logged 65 screen hours, 14 of which were on my phone - pretty similar to last week.

I made yogurt from scratch for the first time, caught up on some podcasts as intended, and did a LOT of refresher work on Python.

Major consideration:
Python practice   17.5 hours   Over 3x increase!
Phone browser   6.5 hoursAlmost doubled - having some trouble with this
Various texting apps   6.5 hours   Decreased 2 hours!
Wikipedia   3 hours   Fell into a rabbit hole reading about whales...
Video game   2.5 hours   Big decrease, now uninstalled
MMM forum   2.5 hours   Same as last week
Email   2.5 hours   Similar to last week
Facebook   2 hours1 hour increase
News   2 hours   Plus a significant amount of the phone browsing
Youtube   1.5 hours   
Tumblr   1.5 hours   
Zoom   1.5 hours   
YNAB   1.5 hours   

So, I have to turn off my phone browser blocking in order to access an online fitness class I've been enjoying, which is throwing me off on that front. I'm definitely cheating by accessing things on mobile. Maybe I'll at least log out of facebook on my phone. But otherwise, this isn't too bad.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2020, 08:03:36 PM »
Wikipedia   3 hours   Fell into a rabbit hole reading about whales...

LOL.  Story of my life.  If only I could find a job that paid me to just accumulate totally useless but interesting knowledge....

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2020, 08:17:36 PM »
I started out watching some new scientific footage of baby whales nursing, and then I got emotional about their family bonds. Three hours later...

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2020, 08:20:11 PM »
Whales seem like they'd be pretty tight knit, since it takes so long for them to get big and the ocean is so big it would be lonely to be out there all alone. 

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2020, 06:04:37 PM »
Okay, so I've done waaaaay better today.  Yesterday I stayed off bogleheads and reddit too but I was on MMM and I was on a few threads but I just kept on clicking.  It's a very time consuming way to use the site.  You can read and convey way more info by just ignoring it for a few days and then go on for an hour or so and catch up, rather than clicking every time there's a new post.  I did it during work hours and it killed my concentration because I was purposefully interrupting myself so tasks took longer.  But I get sort of obsessed about things (sometimes work, sometimes chores, sometimes internet) and when I get in that mode I can't really stop it...

How I broke the urge is that I didn't start new threads and the old ones sort of petered out and today when I woke up the interest had abated and I was in a mood to just focus and not open the door on new threads.    Today I sort of did a couple of clicks here or there for a minute or so but 95-99% just focused on my work.  I'd really like to get to the point where I just don't have the urge to click on anything except during my designated internet time, but that's going to be a while.  I also pretty much avoided all other sites except every so often I go on news sites and just look at headlines (without reading articles -- headlines are usually sufficient for day to day knowledge). 

Now I can do what I want for the next few hours, but I promised my wife I'd clean the kitchen and I want to be off screens and in bed by 11.  But it feels good to have handled my business and now have some time to relax without guilt. 

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: April 30, 2020, 06:08:44 PM »
@Tass, I used to use blockers a lot but had trouble finding one that would sustainably work on an android phone.  Do you know of anything?

I need something that's pretty nuclear, because otherwise I'll turn it off or download a new browser or switch off wi-fi and use LTE or whatever.  I've found thing that work like that on my laptop but not my phone.  I used to have a way to shut things off from my router but since switching internet providers that's been more troublesome. 

My ideal IS to just kick the habit.  I know I kicked those three worst sites last fall and then reddit last month and so I know I can get there, and it's more sustainable if you can just train yourself not to do it, but it's way harder.  But I'm open to using blockers to help along the way where I can. 

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: April 30, 2020, 08:24:05 PM »
I use AppBlocker on my android phone; it has a lock function where you can make it impossible to disable for a certain time or unless your charger is plugged in. It won't stop you from downloading a new browser I guess, but it can stop you from using the browser(s) you have. It also has pretty nice features around blocking at certain times, certain GPS locations, and optionally blocking notifications.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2020, 09:09:20 PM »
Logging off from my surf night. I can pick up where I left off during tomorrow's surf night.
Own Up To Your Internet Usage updates to come! For now: read.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2020, 08:33:22 AM »
5/2 Weekly Goal

My goals this week are dead simple. 

• I'm deleting my browser from my phone.  If I get the urge to surf or research something, I can write it down my notetaking app for later (best) or pull out my laptop.  But the only thing I really need a browser on my phone for is something like downloading recipes to the paprika app -- which is like a once every two weeks, one minute type thing, and only because paprika doesn't really sync well.
  • Shutting off all browsing at 11pm on weekend nights and 10pm on week nights.  I can still read, watch TV or listen to podcasts so not a big sacrifice.
  • Stay off the three sites that started this journey plus reddit and bogleheads.

I'm not even setting official screen or pickup limits (I can track this in rescue time, but I use computers to work and so when work is busy screentime can go up, and the "distracting vs. nondistracting" breakdown always sort of throws me off) other than use in moderation. 

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2020, 09:13:33 PM »
Logging off my surf session. On to teeth brushing and reading!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #219 on: May 03, 2020, 10:03:48 AM »
Ok, I finally have time for an update from the past week:

Well, toilet training threw me for a loop. It was last weekend that we started and early this past week that we stopped (we are revisiting it in 6 months).  We did four days of training and for three of them, I spent the entirety of nap time and the evening online (part troubleshooting training/part zoning out) and was on Facebook and MMM sporadically throughout the day while the toddler was awake. My internet use was a definite decision rather than a slip-up. Like, "Fuck it, I'm doing this". I didn't even attempt to justify it.

I don't know why I was so triggered.  I'm well aware that you can't make kids eat, sleep, pee or poop. Maybe it's that I feel we have workable parameters around eating and sleeping that don't put our lives at the complete mercy of a toddler. But I was at a total loss with the peeing/pooping. The conclusion I came to was that the toddler likely just needs more time to understand what exactly it is we're shooting for. And while monitoring her all day for accidents in order to rush her to the potty was it's own special kind of hell, we also tried out a different, more doable method that we'll use when the time comes.

I think what was going on psychologically is that I tend to default to "all or nothing" thinking and the method of training we started with didn't allow for time to do anything but monitor for pee/poop accidents. My partner and I tag teamed, but when he was on duty, instead of thinking: "great, I think I'll take a shower" I thought "I haven't done any of my usual things, (shower, exercise, paperwork, etc) so why even bother?" That kind of thinking is so self-defeating. Doing what I can with the time I have is a much better way.

I also tend to get laser focused on a problem until I can figure it out. But according to Meyer's Briggs, I'm an intuitive, which I suppose means that the way I actually solve problems is not through analysis, but by putting things on the back burner for a bit to let them percolate. That's where the zoning out comes in, I think. When I hit a wall with my research, but still haven’t arrived on a solution, I check out for awhile. I'm finding that switching gears to something physical or creative helps me arrive at my solution much better than zoning out online.

A few things seem to work really well for me:

-Keeping the time my daughter is awake and in my care tech-free. It makes a huge difference in the quality of both our lives. And it's an easy line in the sand. I'm also waiting to do screens with her until she's school age, mostly because it's easier for me to just not have the option because I know I'd abuse it.

-Using the productivity tip of "eating the frog". “If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it First Thing in the Morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the BIGGEST one first.” — Mark Twain. My frogs are the things I do to live well. Self care, connecting with my partner, doing meaningful projects (and eventually work) being social, taking care of all the mundane daily responsibilities. I find that if I don't attend to those things first, they are unlikely to happen. And it takes literally a minute to get over the hump of not feeling like doing them and into action (I actually like doing them once I get started and the feeling of satisfaction is amazing). Once those things are done, there's still time to do my surfing or other forms of relaxing that take no effort. But if I do the non-effortful things first, they crowd out the important things. First things first.

-Having 3 surf sessions per week has been the arrangement so far that has contributed most to my ability to stay away from the internet outside the appropriate times, log off at a reasonable hour, and avoid distractions. I think it's because I can tell myself that I can pick up where I left off the next day. Also when the 3 days are up, I just have 4 days until it's surf time again. So I tell myself that too. I whittled down my surf days the past few months in order to do other things with my evenings, but I think I'll reinstate those 3 days again and see how it goes. Rather than having a time amount, (ie: 1 hour) I'll do surfing after I connect with my partner and will turn it off 1 hour before bed (8pm).

-Using unexpected downtime for projects, paperwork or a hobby (including reading).

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2020, 08:56:19 PM »
Didn't I just post here? Where did this week go??

Last week (4/19-4/25) I logged 60.5 screen hours, 16 of which were on my phone - a slight decrease.

I made more yogurt, practiced more python, and hung out with my roommates a lot.

Major consideration:
Python practice   11 hours   
Phone browser   7 hoursAbout the same, still a problem
Various texting apps   5.5 hours   Decreased 1 hour
MS Office   5.5 hours   
MMM forum   3.5 hours   1 hour increase - honestly have no memory of this
Email   2.5 hours   Similar to last week
Science reading   2.5 hours   
Tumblr   2 hoursThis is mindless distraction
Youtube   1.5 hoursLargely music listening
Facebook   1.5 hoursSlight decrease
Zoom   1 hours   
YNAB   1 hours   
Podcast app   1 hour   

I'm actually happy with my productivity this week, but I think my exercise slipped a little bit. More exercise is my goal for the upcoming week. I need to cut my phone browsing, though.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: May 03, 2020, 09:20:03 PM »
Logging off final surfing night of the week. Wanting to linger, but I can pick it back up Friday.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: May 03, 2020, 10:17:15 PM »
  I also tend to get laser focused on a problem until I can figure it out. But according to Meyer's Briggs, I'm an intuitive, which I suppose means that the way I actually solve problems is not through analysis, but by putting things on the back burner for a bit to let them percolate. That's where the zoning out comes in, I think. When I hit a wall with my research, but still haven’t arrived on a solution, I check out for awhile. I'm finding that switching gears to something physical or creative helps me arrive at my solution much better than zoning out online. 

This spoke to me, as an INTJ (as I am guessing like half the people on the MMM boards are).  I do better decisionmaking by gathering information, taking a pause, and then coming back with a clear mind, but I have a tendency to obsess. 

Parenting toddlers is hard.  We're dealing with kids 6, 4 and 11 months on 24/7 coronavirus lockdown.  Screentime and stress management is a challenge for everyone in our family right now. 

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: May 04, 2020, 01:45:56 PM »
Did my news update after exercise and other details. I read something that piqued my interest and was about to go into research mode and also post my questions on an MMM thread. But now is not the appropriate time. Instead, I remembered that I have Google Keep (thanks, @LWYRUP ) so I jotted down my thoughts there and am continuing on with my day. I can do more research at tomorrow's nap and post to MMM this weekend.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2020, 08:46:15 PM »
I had a kick-ass day of first things first. Got so much done. Then this evening I started with the easier thing. Only now with check-in (15 minutes until I shut off the computer for the night) am I getting to the harder thing (studying Spanish). Next time: harder thing first, then the easier. That way I will do them both. On to studying Spanish (better 15 minutes than none at all, right?).

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #225 on: May 06, 2020, 05:51:42 PM »
I really want to do the easy thing first, but am sticking with swallowing the frog (studying Spanish). Everything else follows, including balanced internet use.

@LWYRUP: INFJ's must share some of those obsessive tendencies (and other weaknesses) with INTJ's. Maybe because of the IN?

I like this description of introverted intuition:
"Introverted iNtuition is a personality function that constantly gathers information, and sees everything from many different perspectives. As the dominant player in a personality, it has the effect of constantly bombarding the psyche with new information to consider. Introverted iNtuition is sort of like a framework for understanding that exists in the mind. As something is perceived, it is melded into the existing intuitive framework. If an entirely new piece of information is perceived by the Introverted iNtuitive, that person must redefine their entire framework of reference. So, Introverted iNtuitives are constantly taking in information about the world that needs to be processed in a relatively lengthy manner in order to be understood. That presents quite a challenge to the INFJ. It's not unusual for an INFJ to feel overwhelmed with all of the things that he or she needs to consider in order to fully understand an idea or situation."

-from personalitypage.com (which may not be the most rigorous source, but they have some interesting things to say)

I've read that while introverted intuition is the great strength with these personality types, things become unhealthy when it overtakes the other functions. For me, it's a constant balancing act to give the introverted intuition its due while reining it in enough so it can (ironically) function optimally (for example, taking those breaks you mentioned).

Also: it's hard to find the time to give IN its due with young kids running around the house (not to mention 3!)

Anyway, back to swallowing that frog....

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: May 09, 2020, 08:22:37 AM »

Weekly Update

Good news:

Still off three original sites plus reddit.  (I did waste time on bogleheads.)
Minimal actual news reading.
Kept browers off my phone all week except cracked during an "optional" (read: mandatory) work zoom happy hour (sigh) but only then.
Used "FocusTime" on work laptop when I was having trouble concentrating and it worked.

Bad news:

Had some distractions on bogleheads and this forum, including during work hours.  It's hard when you "get in" to a thread and want to check it.  Total internet time is now probably back down to "normal person or below" levels but still higher than I'd like given my responsibilities and goals.

I've also been thinking more than I need to about my finances recently, and not in the "here's a cool way to save money" way but in a "watched pot never boils" sort of way.  Need to reflect on that and redirect my attention in more productive ways.

This week:

Going to keep browser of my phone.  I really liked watching how at the beginning the week I had urges to pick up my phone and surf and then even by the end of the week that mental circuitry is already starting to fade.  I think coupling this with allowing myself to surf as long as I just take the baby step of cracking open my laptop is helpful -- it's enough of a deterrent to stop a fair amount of impulses but with an outlet that prevents me from just giving into the impulse.  I'm a believer in long term habit building, so I'm fine just keeping this as a simple goal again and again.  It take take 2 months of effort to build a habit and then probably 6 months before it's so solidified that the risk of relapse is low enough that you can ignore it (except in stressful times, when the old triggers rush back... see coronavirus).  So this, like ignoring certain sites known to distract me, can just become part of my long term screen time plan.

This week I'm going to expand this and ban surfing on my work computer.  I'm going to do this by starting an 8 hour Stay Focused session when I start work. 

Outside of that I'm going to continue to not set hard limits and will just continue to work on reasonableness and moderation, particularly targeting (i) minimizing bogleheads time, (ii) keeping screens off during kid dinner / bedtime hours, (iii) winding down earlier to promote earlier wake-up and (iv) a preference towards producing (writing in journal, focusing on a goal (researching gardening) rather than undirected surfing.  But that's going to be a more qualitative assessment and I'm not going to obsess about the numbers if I hit my main goals. 

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »
I really don't want to do my first things today (clean the bathroom and tidy up). Tonight is a surf night though, and I'm sure it will feel awesome to surf with everything else done for the day.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #228 on: May 11, 2020, 06:02:48 PM »
A few changes:
-I started back up with my side hustle today and my husband is returning to work on Friday.
-I'm using nap time to exercise, work, and check text/facebook messages, in that order
(since my in-person Facebook groups won't be meeting up for awhile, I just check Facebook messenger on my phone, so the notifications on the Facebook homepage won't tempt me)
-I'm considering moving news updates to my surf days, since they've been displaced by work. I think 3 days/week should be enough to keep me fairly in the loop.
-I'm wondering if I should change up the content of my surfing. Right now it's MMM, Facebook groups, and a blog or two. Those were the sites that made the cut after reading Digital Minimalism.  Having 3 days of surfing seems to help me better log off, but I wonder if I should change up the focus a bit without adding too much in. It just seems that by the middle of my surf days, there's not a lot of new content to look at. I'll sit with the idea for a bit before making any changes.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #229 on: May 11, 2020, 06:23:15 PM »
I'm back to work this week, so I can't wait to see how my stats turn out. I have to own up to last week first, though.

Last week (5/3-5/9) I logged 68 screen hours, 20 of which were on my phone - a pretty significant increase.

I cooked a three-course meal. I assume I did other stuff before that, but none is coming to mind.

Major consideration:
Python practice   11 hours   
Various texting apps   7 hours   Increased 1.5 hours
Zoom   7 hours   Some work, some social
Phone browser   6.5 hoursAbout the same, still a problem
MMM forum   4 hours   Another slight increase
Tumblr   4 hoursDoubled!
Email   4 hours   
Facebook   3 hoursDoubled!
News   2 hours
Food   2 hours
MS Office   1.5 hours   

My goal last week was exercise, and I did some, but I don't think I improved much. Since I bike to work, that will also inherently be improved this week. I cheated on all my blockers, though. Re-implementing those now.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2020, 07:08:18 AM »
Weekly Check-In

Rescue Time is only set up to do weeks starting Sunday or Monday, which is annoying because I'd like to log on Saturday mornings.  I'll either need to change my habit or adjust (maybe amend the entry tomorrow)?  It would be great to do a formal summary like @Tass for better tracking. 

I'm down 13.5 hours from last weekend and I'm not going to log 13.5 hours so safe to say I'm down a pretty substantial amount -- potentially a full "workday" of screen time.  My "productivity score" is about average.  Split, I can see working hours are almost all productive and outside of work hours are mostly unproductive.  No surprise there, but one of my top life goals is to kill it at work while working and then purposefully step back and log off during downtime to create mental separation.  The worst state to be is procrastinating during work hours and then having work projects spill into nights and weekends, awful.  So that's all great.  Not tracked as well is less time on TV this week.  The screen time includes no reddit time and virtually no news time (other than a surf for headlines every now and then, which ideally would become limited even further, to one or two sites and only every couple days -- but the time is like 5-10 mins a day right now so that's pretty damn good).   

My biggest issue is the 6 hours 51 minutes on "Google Chrome for Android" (aka. cheating on my "no browsing on cellphone" rule).  So that will remain my big goal for the coming week, along with hitting my sleep goals. 

I am looking into refinancing my mortgage, and so that is going to take up some nights and weekend screentime, including some legitimate use of bogleheads threads to gather intel.  So if I can keep next week's screen time at about what it is this week but knock that phone browsing time (ideally to zero but let's say in half), I'll declare that a win. 

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2020, 09:03:40 PM »
Took surf session #2 of 3 tonight. Reminding myself that I have tomorrow evening to continue scrolling. It's way easier to log off when I remember that.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2020, 08:49:24 AM »
Weekly Check-In

Ok.  I'm trying out doing this on a Sunday with more precise data.  Last week (5/10-5/16), I logged 64 hours and 47 minutes of screen time, a decrease of 8.7 hours from the week before.  My personal productivity pulse was 52, down 4% from the week before.  Not tracked, but I also watched a little less TV. 

Major considerations:

Gmail -- 13.5 hours (Mostly work)
Phone browsing -- 10 hours (Should be zero)
MMM forum --  6.75 hours (Higher than normal, some useful journal entries and good conversations, some time wasting)
Video calls -- 4 hours (This seems low, actually)
Word / Adobe -- 3 hours

Also not tracked was an enormous amount of work calls not done through video.  Rescue time counts the "dialer" time (one full hour) but not the conversations themselves if you are just talking and the screen is sleeping. 

I actually only logged 3 hours working in Word / Adobe this week, which highlights something I've always found ridiculous -- my job involves 90% communicating about work product and 10% producing work product. 

There is just by nature a LOT of coordination in my job (I structure, negotiate and close complex commercial real estate transactions, and usually my particular role on the team is "making sure all of the things (big, small, interesting, boring, etc.) are happening" which by necessity reduces time available to actually make things happen, but it's a bit much.  I have to constantly protect even scraps of free time for quiet work.  But if I am not constantly on the ball, my coworkers will keep missing stuff and then deadlines will be blown and confusion and chaos will reign.  I am like part-time quarterback (this is how we need to restructure things to save on taxes) and part-time secretary (did you send the lender the TPS reports they need to go to committee?).

Anyways, onward and upward for next week.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2020, 11:30:14 AM »
My biggest issue is the 6 hours 51 minutes on "Google Chrome for Android" (aka. cheating on my "no browsing on cellphone" rule).  So that will remain my big goal for the coming week, along with hitting my sleep goals. 

Consider uninstalling or disabling Google Chrome on your phone! My phone has an un-disable-able Samsung Browser, so I still have internet access when I need it, but the disruption to your rhythm from using a different app will help you keep the commitment. (Just don't let yourself build up a new habit on the new app!)

Last week was a weird one. I got so involved in a screen activity that I neglected work, cooking, cleaning - except the activity was productive. I've really been enjoying learning to program in Python. As useful as it is, though, it seems I will need to set some limits on it.

Last week (5/10-5/16) I logged 72 screen hours, 13 of which were on my phone. This is an increase in overall time, but a significant decrease in phone time.

Major consideration:
Python practice   25 hours   
Zoom/Skype   8 hours   Some work, some social
Various texting apps   7.5 hours   Similar to last week
MMM forum   3.5 hours   Similar to last week
Facebook   2.5 hoursSimilar to last week
Email   2.5 hours   Decreased
Online social games   2.5 hours   Overlaps with some Skype, above
Phone browser   1.5 hoursHuge decrease!
News   1.5 hours
Tumblr   1 hourHuge decrease!
Excel   1 hours   

My exercise kinda went down the drain this week with the change in my routine, and my sleep went downhill as a result. I need to re-focus on those things.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: May 24, 2020, 07:18:12 AM »

I can keep it simple.  My numbers this week were pretty much the same as the week before.  I took a day off work, so probably less productive time and more goof off time on average.  I think I was stressed at various points and so that contributed. 

Anyways, not going to dwell on it.  That's my checklist, will push for an improvement next week.  Onward and upward.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2020, 01:19:09 PM »
Last week (5/17-5/23) I logged 75 screen hours, 14.5 of which were on my phone. That's a small increase, but pretty similar to last week.

Qualitatively, though, I feel like this week evaporated without much input from me, either productive or joyful. Maybe it's just the days blending together in lockdown.

Major consideration:
Python practice   18 hours   
Various texting apps   7 hours   Similar to last week
Zoom/Skype/Discord   7 hours   Some work, some social
MMM forum   3.5 hours   Similar to last week
Excel   3.5 hours   
Email   3 hours   
Phone browser   3 hoursDoubled!
Reading scientific papers   2.5 hours   
YNAB   2.5 hours   
Facebook   2 hoursSlight decrease
News   2 hours
Tumblr   1.5 hourSlight increase
Slack   1 hour   
Youtube   1 hour   

Overall this looks pretty similar to last week, but I think I can still stand to spend much less time online total. The computer is still my default way to occupy myself, productively or no. I'd like to be more in a position where I open the computer for specific tasks and then put it away again.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #236 on: May 26, 2020, 06:05:24 PM »
The principle of "eat the frog" (tackle the hardest things first) has really worked for me the last two weeks. I'm surprised to find that I need much less motivation throughout my day when I get right to the hard tasks in comparison to starting with the easiest thing (my normal MO). When I "eat the frog", much of the day feels like I'm coasting. I really like the feeling. I think the fact that I've accomplished something really helps.  It's like "I was already productive today, why not just continue on?". I know the opposite is absolutely true for me: "I've not done the tasks I was hoping to do. Why not just blow off the day and do nothing?"

I also think transitions, which "eating the frog" has helped with, have always been weak spots for me. For example, I usually would put my daughter down for a nap and then kind've mosey around, telling myself I'll just take 10 minutes to relax before getting to my next task. As part of "eat the frog," I now get right to cardio after depositing her in bed. It is so helpful.

So I've set up my week and each task around the principle. I get my most unpleasant tasks done at the beginning of the week and let the inertia carry me through the rest of the week. I also try to take care of the least pleasant thing within each task first. For example, when I exercise, I now do strength before stretching, and start with the strength moves I don't like.

I like "eat the frog" in terms of regulating my internet use, because it helps move the focus from limiting the internet to making sure the internet doesn't crowd out the frogs that I need to eat if I'm going to accomplish the things important to me. I'm also getting a lot out of using unexpected downtime for projects, paperwork, and reading rather than surfing the internet. My important things include spending quality time with my daughter and husband, saving for a house down payment via my side hustle, doing my self care habits (shower, exercise, sleep...) studying Spanish (really want to become fluent), reading, projects, keeping the house running (chores, tidying, cooking and managing all the details) and eventually getting back to socializing. Once my kids are a bit older, I'll go back to school and work and don't want the internet to get in the way of the goals I have in that area either.

So anyway, I think the hardest time of the day is in the afternoon prior to dinner when my husband watches our daughter. That's the time I have for studying Spanish, doing a quick tidy so the evening bedtime routine isn't too overwhelming, and tackling a step on my to-do list. It's also the time I'm a bit tired from all the activity of the day.

It's also still difficult to log off on my surf days. I'm pleased to be surfing 3 days a week again (after the disruption of my habits with the Coronavirus) and not feeling particularly pulled toward the internet in the days between. It feels like the right amount for me to not feel like it's scarce. But on surf nights, I'm not as disciplined about reading, getting to sleep on time, or connecting with my partner. So this week I'll focus on that.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: May 26, 2020, 06:08:01 PM »
Great progress!   I appreciate the thoughtful contribution.  I'd make the response longer, but I am logging off now.  ;)

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2020, 10:06:40 PM »
Logging off after 2 hours of surf time. 1.5 hours is ideal for leaving time to connect with my partner, read, and get to bed on time. I didn't do any of those tonight since I got home late from grocery shopping and went straight to surfing. Goal tomorrow is 1.5 hours after time with partner and an hour before I go to bed.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2020, 03:28:40 PM »

Last week (5/10-5/16), I logged 47h and 4 min of screen time, a decrease of 20.6 hours from the week before.  My personal productivity pulse was 53%, up 4% from the week before. 

I had a four day work week and also spent part of last weekend taking the kids to my parents house and this weekend camping, so a fair amount of my non-work time was spoken for with other activities.  That is an internet tip I should remember, that if you just start filling your time with fun things it will crowd out some internet time. 

Anyways I'm in a nice zen rhythm so I am going to log off to not disrupt my flow. 

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2020, 10:05:45 PM »
That's awesome LWYRUP!

Last week (5/24-5/30) I logged 69 screen hours, 14.5 of which were on my phone. That's similar to last week, but you'll see below that my usage shifted dramatically. The last few days of news have been particularly upsetting, and it disrupted my internet use rhythms. Time to recommit in the coming week.

Major consideration:
Facebook   8.5 hoursMore than quadrupled
Various texting apps   7 hours   Similar to last week
Python practice   6.5 hours   
News   5.5 hoursMore than doubled
Tumblr   4 hourMore than doubled
Email   4 hours   
Zoom/Skype/Discord   5 hours   Some work, some social
MMM forum   2.5 hours   1 hour decrease
Podcast   1.5 hours   Generally considered productive
Adobe   1.5 hours   
Slack   1.5 hours   Likely to see a big increase here in the future - considered social
Phone browser   1.5 hoursHalved. At least there's this!
Twitter   1 hoursI DON'T HAVE TWITTER! I just check up on one guy!
Youtube   1 hour   Same as last week
Food   1 hour   

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2020, 10:15:51 PM »
Logging off after my 3rd and final surf night of the week. I surfed 2 hours each night. I'm aiming for 1.5 hours to fit in time for reading. The news has been particularly difficult to pull away from these past few days.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #242 on: June 07, 2020, 10:16:57 PM »
This weekend my surf hours were: 1.5/1.5/2. An improvement, but my evenings got a late start, so it still didn't leave much time for reading/getting to bed early. I'll focus on those two things during surf time next weekend. In the meantime: Spanish, paperwork, and projects.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2020, 11:57:09 AM »

Last week I messed up and had a really bad week.  I was upset at everything in the news (George Floyd's murder, the protests, the riots, the President's response, suffering of my friends, etc.) and fell back into old habits and got obsessed with reading about it.  I even ended up taking a part day off on Monday because I couldn't concentrate.  I also stayed up too late and was tired during the week, then slept in.

The damage was 86.5 hours and 29% productivity.  15 hours on local city forum I'm not supposed to visit.  8.5 hours here.  5 hours reddit.  Mysterious "chrome internet" time (more of the same).  5 or so hours news.

Stepping back, I was processing all this terrible news and that's an important thing.  But I need to learn to process bad news in a more healthy way.  I recognize a pattern now where I can get into a grove and everything is firing on all cylinders, and then there's stress and I get knocked off.

One great thing about me is that I mess up a lot but I recognize it and always pick myself up and dust myself off and move on.  So doing that here.

Yesterday was a much better day (relatively, still about 5 hours of wasted time) and today after a slower start in the morning I've been solidly productive and zen since about 10am.  So with a short lunch and working a bit past 5 I'll knock out a solid, totally non-distracted day today. 

I can literally feel my cortisol levels dropping and feel myself detaching from the news cycle.  It's a great feeling.  I'm proud of myself for recognizing how this is not healthy for me and disengaging.  There will be stressful events again, and so I need to prepare in advance to work through them in a healthy manner.

It's extra hard when your job involves sitting on the internet by yourself.  And then so you want to do a good job, so you sit there for hours, working at half-productivity.  One thing I did learn is that there are sometimes that I need to just get up from my screen, even if during work hours, and go for a long walk or a jog, etc. because that's the only way I can clear my head and I'm too far gone to say "OK, now we'll just read boring documents and not look at any news."  Luckily, I've banked goodwill in my job from long hours and stress before and then literally in terms of leave (like, I have the vacation days, if I feel guilty I can literally burn vacation time) so there's no reason not to do this if it would actually help me and my organization in the long run.

May check in here more frequently as I wind down and get back on track, to make sure that's what I'm doing. 

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: June 09, 2020, 06:21:48 AM »

6/9/20

9h55 min yesterday.  The vast majority of that was during work hours.  2.5 hours of that unproductive (news, forums), the rest work or e-mail.  That's better and today I am not going to waste any time in the morning before work so pretty sure I can knock that down further today.

I went to play tennis with a friend after work, which was a lot of fun and good for me.  It also is a great screen time technique -- fill your time with fun stuff, and then the time for internet constricts. 

I also learned a trick for this forum.  You can go to notifications, turn them off but then click a bunch of threads for notifications and then bookmark the notifications page.  Then you can just visit that bookmark and you see just the threads you are following.  That saves time because you don't need to hunt for them but also keeps the other threads out of sight out of mind.

I used that trick today and it's great so far.  I hope to use that to join a bunch of "gauntlet" threads and not worry about checking into them and then getting distracted (e.g., by political threads). 

Onward and upward!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: June 10, 2020, 06:06:05 AM »
6/10/22

Yesterday's numbers:

10h13 min screen time.
58 productivity pulse. 
62 phone unlocks.

Vast majority of this is work (some things, like listening to music or using windows explorer is marked as neutral, so that brings down the productivity score even if I am not actually messing around), with some after dinner surf time.   

This is OK given how much work I did.  Given that I work on screens 8 hours plus every workday, it's going to be pretty difficult to get below 50-60 hours screentime in a normal week, so my goal is really just not to blow too far past 60 hours and to feel like my use is productive. 

The trick I learned to streamline the MMM site (https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/is-there-a-way-to-flag-or-sticky-certain-threads/) by turning notifications off, then flagging threads for notifications, then bookmarking the notifications page is working well.  Through this workaround, I can basically set a home page for the MMM site that's only the threads I want to see.  This saves time if I want to check into gauntlet challenges without distracting myself with other things.

Biggest issue was sort of randomly clicking then remembering I shouldn't, or picking up my phone pointlessly.  I think these are ingrained habits I just need to keep whittling down, but they will be helpful because if I am in stress mode it may make me just that much less likely to pick up a screen to deal with it because the habit is less ingrained.

Anyways, goal for today is just keep it up but focus on recognizing impulses to randomly click or open my phone and instead of just clicking for a minute and then stopping try to just head off the impulse.  One of my methods for doing this will be to allow myself to just take a short non-screen break for that minute and then refocus. 

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #246 on: June 10, 2020, 08:40:08 PM »
Your experience of last week is relatable. Notice I didn't even post a retrospective. I'm back on the wagon this week (mostly).

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: June 11, 2020, 10:10:26 AM »

It's hard.  These are important issues and extraordinary times.  But it's important for us as individuals to balance staying informed (ideally with high quality sources) and working through our feelings and not derailing our life or losing control of the things we can control.

I'm embarrassed by that figure but figured I should own up to it.   

Yesterday I wasted a bunch of time, but at least it was solid work most of the day and then when the day was almost over I shifted onto the internet.  I did read some interesting things.  But too much.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2020, 10:24:41 PM »
Logging off from surf night #2 of 3 for the week. Did 1 hour 45 minutes both nights and don't want to log off tonight even though I have another session waiting for me tomorrow evening. Time to brush my teeth, read, and get to bed!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2020, 11:13:10 AM »
6/15/20

Last week's numbers:

65h 40m, 20.9h less than the week before
42 productivity pulse, up 42% from week before

I took a day off on Friday and went hiking with my daughter, and then was out enjoying nature on Saturday so that helped.  It feels great to reset from screens in nature.  As I get older, I think "spending time outdoors being physically active" is moving up in my priority list.  It's funny because I paid more for a house closer in to our big city but now I work in the suburbs and most of the time on the weekends I drive OUT (to nature, farms, etc.) rather than IN ( to museums, restaurants).  I still like where I live because of the long-term flexibility to take a new job without a horrendous commute, but something to consider for the future. 

Towards the end of the week my non-productive time started shifting away from news and back towards random fun stuff.  I spent time reading about places near our vacation, I spent time reading about people who lived in the wilderness (just random, not going to do that).  That's still better than the news, which drags me down and depresses me.  I want low amounts of high quality information, and most news is opposite that, but the headlines are literally like "do you want a spurt of adrenaline / dopamine"?  Click here!

We finished up a TV show (that I started ignoring and just playing on the internet when it was on).  I'd really like to start having some totally screen free nights but need to get my wife on board, the problem is we are usually both so wiped after marathon three-kid bedtime.  Maybe we can do a schedule, like start strong Monday Tuesday.  Today I've got tennis again so hopefully that becomes a habit that displaces internet after work. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!