Author Topic: Own up to your internet usage  (Read 28184 times)

Tass

• Magnum Stache
Re: Own up to your internet usage
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »
I've had a very weird two weeks and I don't think I'm going to bother reporting my usage for them. I did want to own up that I relaxed several restrictions while I was traveling with a friend, and since then I've seen big backsliding, especially in my phone usage. It's been long enough that the reasons I chose to set this challenge are fading in vibrancy, and I'm tempted to just relax into an easier routine.

Here are several things I have lately avoided recommitting to:
  • Internet blocking on my phone
  • No desktop internet before work/at breakfast
  • Quit using an alternate browser to get around laptop restrictions
  • Stop checking the internet as a time filler without intention

Life has felt very full lately (ETA: in a stressful way!). That makes it more tempting stuffing the cracks with mindless internet; oddly, a precondition of mental space makes it much easier to prioritize more mental space.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 12:41:26 PM by Tass »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2020, 12:32:11 PM »
I'm doing my side hustle and started looking up unrelated information online. That can wait until another time (though I can jot down what it is I'd like to look into).
For now: finish my work.

Also, I surfed yesterday and Friday, 1 hour 8 minutes each.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2020, 01:36:14 PM »
1 hour, 18 minutes surf time on Monday.
I just accidentally erased the text of my post, but I'll summarize it anyway. I sat down to do a few details in preparation for my trip this weekend (and to do my check in on this thread). And decided to check on what's happening with air travel and the coronavirus. But that took forever and I ended up seeing that someone had posted about the virus on MMM. And since I went to that thread, I thought "why not just click around? So that was my cue to check in here.

I'll be gone 3 weeks and will try to keep my showering, work, exercise, paperwork and internet usage habits plodding along as normal. The temptation, when I'm in a new space or doing a routine outside of my normal one, is to just blow off my good habits and do whatever. Especially during the 1-2 days before and after I travel (which will be 3 flights taking all day). I've already laxed on work and exercise now that my trip is nearing. So my challenge is to stay the course as best I can and be flexible about it without shrugging it off completely. I think checking in here as usual will help.

Also, during my last trip home, I spent so much time on the internet, because there were no computer controls. That's when I realized my internet use was becoming a problem. This trip, I'd like to take my 3 hours per week of surfing, and then enjoy my family's company. I don't get to see them as often as I'd like.

Next right thing: check on the coronavirus thread for final input (but otherwise save it for surf sessions), call my OB about air travel plans, cook up the rest of the food in the fridge, make a packing/detail list, and finish my book so I can get it back to the library. Also, do my work, writing meditation, post my spanish vocab, and chat with my husband this evening.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2020, 12:53:11 PM »
I stayed the course yesterday, which feels awesome. But today when I sat down to do my writing meditation then exercise, I got distracted. I sent an acquaintance a quick Facebook message beforehand, which is fine because it was about reaching out and connecting. But then I started clicking around the internet on links according to the subject of our conversation. And there went the time.

So I'm coming back to the next right thing: finish my writing meditation and sneak in some stretching this evening (even for 5 minutes).

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2020, 10:55:41 PM »
Took my surf time tonight and did 1 hr, 40 minutes. I scrolled through the sites I wanted to see, so I may try to read for downtime the rest of the week and see how that goes (with the idea to reduce my surf nights to 2 days a week when I'm back in my normal routine).

I'm on vacation and am trying to be consistent with my regular habits. The biggest barrier is all or nothing thinking. Due to the different rhythm on vacation, I don't get to everything everyday (work, exercise, paperwork, projects etc). But I'm certainly able to regularly do a few productive things, as long as I don't put pressure on myself to get it all done. In the past, my catalyst for doing nothing when falling short of the everything was zoning out on the internet. It really helps not to have that option.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2020, 04:41:44 PM »
I'm having a hard time getting back into the swing of things. I wanted to avoid posting my numbers again, but the title here is to "own up," not just "show off when you're doing well." I'm ready for whatever facepunches I've earned.

Last week (2/23-2/29) I logged 54 screen hours, 17.5 of which were on my phone.

Major consideration:
Various texting apps   8 hours   
MMM forum   7.5 hours   
News   5 hours
Facebook   2.5 hours
Tumblr   2 hoursSupposedly I quit this service!
Twitter   1.5 hoursI don't even HAVE a twitter
YNAB   1.5 hours
Advice column   1.5 hours   
Youtube   1 hour   
Phone browser   1 hour   

Goal: I need to limit the time I spend surfing at work. I am not very motivated to do this, but it must be done.

Strategy: Emphasize working from my lab-desk away from my computer. Pick up a new podcast to keep me interested in labwork.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: March 03, 2020, 07:09:39 AM »
Goal: I need to limit the time I spend surfing at work. I am not very motivated to do this, but it must be done.

This is the hardest part for me. Damn the invention of the internet!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: March 03, 2020, 08:11:46 AM »
I get stuck in a spiral. I feel overwhelmed by the amount of work I have to do; I turn to the internet for a break from that anxious feeling; I get distracted and accomplish nothing; I am more overwhelmed.

Also social media is intentionally addictive, etc.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2020, 03:02:58 PM »
I get stuck in a spiral. I feel overwhelmed by the amount of work I have to do; I turn to the internet for a break from that anxious feeling; I get distracted and accomplish nothing; I am more overwhelmed.

I know that spiral too well. Anything besides the internet that helps with that anxious feeling? I think you've likely mentioned it before, but what does an ideal week of internet use look like for you?

A few things have come up on my vacation. First, I didn't bring my laptop because it crashed and I'm just using my parent's desktop for work, projects, and my surf nights. A few times I've looked up a piece of information on my phone while other family members have used the desktop. I prefer to keep my phone to just text/talk/camera and music/podcasts. I will try to write down my search item on paper and use the desktop for it when it's free. To keep that separation. I find phone use to be so much more distracting because it's mobile.

I also get way more texts here (mostly from extended family members). I don't like texting because my attention is split from the task at hand when I'm getting back to people all the time. So I think I'll use the suggestion from "Digital Minimalism" and hold texting hours. I'll let people know that I check my texts midday during nap time. If something requires my attention during off-hours, they can call me. I'll try to check my phone only during that slot of time and report back here how it goes.

Thirdly, the home page on my parent's desktop is Business Insider, which often has juicy headlines. I definitely am pulled to linger after I've logged off my sites, because the headlines grab my attention. So far I haven't clicked on any (though it's fine to do so during my surf time). I'll continue to check in here if I am compelled to.

Finally, I'm considering reducing my weekly surf hours. Instead of looking to cut back, I'm thinking about what I'd like to add. I have 2 nights a week where I do projects, 2 nights where I'm interacting with people, and 3 when I surf. I'd like to try adding in a night where I watch Oscar-winning movies or listen to podcasts while doing something creative. My surfing the last four months has been almost entirely on MMM or my Facebook group forums (crowd-sourcing sites related to topics I'm interested in is what I identified in my digital declutter as having the most value). If I'm just scrolling through, it takes about 1-2 hours to catch up. If I comment, it takes a bit longer. I think I could satisfy my scrolling with 2 nights and add in a hobby night. So I'll try 2 nights projects, 2 nights social, 2 nights surfing and 1 night hobbies. Ideally it would be 1 night surfing, 1 night hobbies, and 1 night reading since my MMM reading challenge requires a bit more time than the 30-45 minutes I do before bed. But having 2 surf nights helps me with logging off, since I can remind myself that I can pick up from where I left off the day before.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:10:51 PM by Luz »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2020, 03:21:11 PM »
The benefits of this challenge have been a bit subtle and have taken awhile to build (and as someone mentioned earlier, I don't magically have gobs of extra time). But I'm really seeing the benefits in my relationships lately.

The first year of my daughter's life was pretty exhausting. So when we got her to bed in the evening, my husband and I would just kind've zone out to the internet to decompress (sitting next to each other on the couch!). But now we're taking ~30 minutes right after the toddler goes down to catch up before he does homework and I do my side hustle then various projects or surfing. It's made all the difference.

We also moved to a new city for grad school. Then I had my daughter right after graduating. So I hadn't put a lot of effort into getting to know people the three years we've been here. And it's been so lonely. But part of reducing my reliance on the internet has been about making an effort to get out there and build friendships, and it's slowly but surely paying off. I now have three or so social engagements every week on top of in-person meetings with my facebook groups twice a week. I doubt I would be as engaged during the week with people in real life if I was spending as much time on the internet as before this challenge. It's also taken a ton of initiative on my part, where before I approached it quite passively.

On a separate note, until this point, my purpose in this challenge has been to separate out surfing from task-based use of the internet. But I know some of you look at both productive and non-productive use as a whole. I think I'm ready for that next step. So this week I'd like to portion out my task-based use a bit better and establish a few parameters.

@blinx7  I'm right there with you on the whole research issue. The time slot solution has been the only thing that's been helpful so far since I can get lost researching a subject only to find myself back at the original question hours upon hours later (though reading nonfiction in the evening has been a great outlet, like @Tass mentioned, even if hasn't been about following my nose on the particular questions that pop into my mind). I'm interested to see what tricks you find helpful!

This is great!  I've started to see that I am doing more social engagements now, because I resisted playing on the internet and instead used the time to set up plans for the future. Then when I go out there's no internet then either.  So it's been win-win. 

Great job making sure to maintain a social life with little kids.  I think a lot of people just give up and that's not good for the long run.  What facebook groups are in you in?

The trick I am trying to use for internet research is I keep notes in my "Google Keep" app on my phone and if I have an urge to research something, I write it down there.  (I keep a separate to-do-list, but I don't keep random internet urges on there, because the Google Keep list is really more like brainstorming potentially useful things.)

Then later, at the appropriate time (work done, kids in bed, not too late) I can crack open the Google Keep and if I really am inspired to research something, I can do it.  And if in hindsight I realize I don't care and it was just an excuse to play on the internet, I just delete it.

Ooh, I really like the idea of having a brainstorming list (including the deleted items). I'll have to try that.
My in-person Facebook groups are a support group and a parent group. Aside from my support group and a few friends I see in the evenings, my social life mainly revolves around raising kids (other parents and family groups) . It's better than nothing, but I'm hoping to add in more of my own interests as they get older (I have my eye on a book club and a sports league).

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2020, 03:41:13 PM »

I know that spiral too well. Anything besides the internet that helps with that anxious feeling? I think you've likely mentioned it before, but what does an ideal week of internet use look like for you?

I mean, not being on the internet at all definitely decreases that anxious feeling. But once I slip, I have to wean myself all the way off again. It's just another one of those "put your overall health ahead of your immediate wants" challenges.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2020, 03:29:00 PM »
Today the toddler is napping and I should be exercising, but I started with paperwork and got sucked in. I have a few big paperwork projects to complete that I would much rather do in a huge marathon weekend. But now that I have kids, my preferred marathon-mode doesn't work. So I have to accept chipping away at projects in 30-60 minute chunks, rather than just sitting down with it until it's done. Because otherwise I wouldn't fit in exercise or all my other important things. It annoys me that I can't just turn off the rest of my life and focus on what I want to. But in the end, I know I'm happier when I attend to all the various areas of my life rather than focus on one thing at the expense of everything else.
So on to exercise and slowly chipping away at all my projects as time allows.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2020, 12:16:59 AM »
Took my surf time tonight... 2.5 hours! I reduced my surf time from 3 days to 2 because I want to fit other things into my evenings. But I think I kind've blew off the 1 hour mark as a result tonight. Maybe 3 surf days is still my sweet spot. I'll think it through this week and see if I can come up with a strategy for surfing less days that still respects my time limit.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2020, 11:07:24 PM »
I'm toying with the idea of having no surf sessions at all during the week.

95% of my surf time is spent on Facebook forums and MMM. I've lately felt that although both are invaluable resources for crowdsourcing specific questions and holding myself accountable via the gauntlet challenges, they've not been a valuable use of time in terms of just aimlessly scrolling through. I don't want to let them go completely, but I'm questioning whether or not scrolling is a necessary part of my life. It makes me wonder if I can use those sites for more task-based purposes (update challenges, ask specific questions) and use a few of my surf evenings for books and other media (magazines, newspapers, music, podcasts, creative projects). I think those pursuits will be more relaxing and fulfilling than surfing. Though they require a bit more effort to get started.

We're also adding a new baby to the family in a few months, should all go well, and I will have a lot less free time during the day. I hope to coordinate naps/playtime enough (after the newborn period) so I get to my shower and have time to exercise. Otherwise, I'll have to move anything else that needs my attention to the evening. I don't think I'll have time to surf 3 nights a week if I want to stay on top of my other things.

The new approach would look something like this:
-downtime during the day: respond to texts/make arrangements with people & groups on Facebook after I've showered/exercised & toddler is still napping
-downtime during the evening: catch up with my partner/do my side hustle/read, then take 1 night each for Spanish, projects, hobbies, social outing, more reading, paperwork, and task-based internet time (update MMM challenges-write it down on paper throughout the week, post questions/research specific topics on Facebook/MMM/career forums, process through my Google Keep/Pocket lists, and read my blog).

Not scrolling would mean that I potentially miss out on interesting topics in MMM and my Facebook forums. My forums also provide a bit of community for me since they are groups of like-minded people and it's through scrolling that I catch up with all that's happening. But I may be able to replace the interest part with other media and the community part with reaching out to people in real life and joining other groups if needed. Also, the Facebook and MMM communities are really large, so it's not really a personal enough experience to keep it on just for the sense of community. I'll also see about looking at Facebook friend's profiles. I haven't done it in months, but I hide everything from my feed, so scrolling through people's profiles every so often is the only way I get updates on what they've been up to. I'll have to revisit that.

Check ins now include:
-urges to surf or scroll aimlessly
-distractions when I'm using the internet for task-based items during the day (Spanish vocab list and recipes, looking up directions/specific info)
[funnel distractions to Pocket and research/ideas to Google Keep]
-urges to check texts and make Facebook arrangements before I've both showered and exercised and after the toddler wakes up.
-urges to use the internet for challenge updates, forum posts and research on specific topics, processing through my Keep and Pocket lists, and reading my blog outside my 1 evening a week
-logging off from internet use when my time is up (my aim is to be logged off at the 1 hour 15 min mark)

I'm going to experiment with it for a few weeks to see what barriers come up.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2020, 05:39:47 PM »
Quit for a while and see if you even miss it after a few days! Don't let fear of missing out blind you to the possibilities of getting that time back!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2020, 12:58:09 PM »
Dangit. Lost my post. Trying again.

ETA: I decided I don't care enough to track down all the numbers a second time. I had a very similar week to last week, but I feel I'm starting to get my feet under me again mentally. This week, I want to celebrate and build on my little successes. I've logged out of social media on my work laptop. I've also checked out Digital Minimalism for a reread to remind me why I think this matters.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:29:18 PM by Tass »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2020, 03:16:10 PM »
Toddler is napping and it's kind've a plan B vacation day. Tempting to just blow everything off.  Also on my mind lately is relocating after my partner's done with school in a few years. Something that I could lose myself for days in researching. I really want to look up different locations right now. But I'm going to exercise instead and funnel that to my Google Keep brainstorming list, to revisit when it's my task-based internet night. I've also put a few articles into my Pocket collection from the headline-rich homepage on my parent's computer. Both resources are a great way to direct those things into their appropriate place. Thanks, @LWYRUP. So much easier for me to tell myself that I can revisit them later, than to try to avoid them altogether.

I think I'll put FOMO on my Google Keep list too. I'm interested to read about how to better navigate it.
On to squats!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2020, 12:30:01 AM »
Took my task-based internet night tonight. 1 hour 15 minutes.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2020, 10:17:31 PM »
I have double the amount of side hustle to get done tonight. Was toying with just blowing it off and dinking around on the internet. Or even doing off-line things. Anything but doing the work. I sat down to get started, and it took about 2 minutes for tug towards avoidance to dissipate. Really helpful to remember that once I've started, I'm good. And it's going to feel great to get it done.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2020, 03:31:35 PM »
Lacking motivation again. I'd rather scroll through random links than exercise. That's my cue to check in here. All I have to do is make it past that 2 minute hump and I can ride inertia the rest of the way.
Next right thing: start warming up (and enjoy having a bit of time to think)

Staunch Aim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2020, 09:31:45 PM »
@Luz - You're killing it!  Nice work

This thread nudged me to finally take action to limit my internet usage.  I used leechblock and also locked down my browser extensions so I can't just deactivate it (easily).  We'll see how this goes.

• I outright blocked some low-value sites that I waste a lot of time on.
  • I limited my total browsing time across my favorites sites to 30 min a day, combined.  The sites are blocked when time runs out.  Those sites include MMM, letterboxd, goodreads and rateyourmusic.
  • I limited netflix and youtube to 2 hours a week, combined.  These sites are also blocked when the time runs out.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2020, 11:08:27 PM »
Welcome, @Staunch Aim!
Since starting the challenge, I've had periods without many urges at all.
This week, I've had so many urges. Ugh. I'm wanting to surf/check some random detail at least once a day. But I suppose it doesn't matter how many urges there are, just what I do with them. So here I am once again checking in. I have a flight home through Seattle next week and am wanting to see all the updates for air travel and the Coronavirus, (and could easily justify it as the exception) but it can wait until my internet night.

On a side note, I read an interesting article about discipline and inspiration. The author talked about living her life based on following inspiration as it strikes, life balance be damned. It made me think about how much I'd love to just drop everything when I'm inspired, in order to follow an idea to its end point (usually with the help of the internet). And how I've done that often in the past, with negative results. I'm so much more satisfied with my life when I stick to the task at hand (exercise, sleep, showering, working, doing the dishes, connecting with my partner and friends, being present for my kid, etc) and direct my inspiration to a specific slot. It takes a lot of discipline to wait until it's the appropriate time, but the other areas of my life have really benefited. And I don't think my inspiration has suffered much. It might peter out a bit before I'm able to attend to it. But I think the worthwhile ideas persist despite the limitations. The article was a good reminder why I'm attempting to live a more principled life rather than follow whatever whim I have in the moment.

On that note: time to side hustle, then read!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2020, 09:37:16 PM »
I'm on my 2nd week of visiting family and have had a number of urges to blow off my responsibilities and good habits. I think partly from my tendency towards all or nothing thinking ("if I can't get in a full exercise session (which has been challenging with all the people and activities), I might as well not do it at all"). Likely also because I'm an introvert and hanging out with people for much of the day requires me to recharge more often than usual (and when I think "recharge" I still gravitate towards zoning out rather than effortful but more satisfying things -like reading or renting a good movie).
I think tonight I will alternate (20 minutes each) reading magazines with doing some side hustle, getting in a little exercise, reading, doing some house paperwork, and jotting down a few ideas.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2020, 03:02:25 PM »
Yay! Success last night.
But I once again have absolutely no motivation to do self care/anything productive today. Just want to zone out. I'll likely be checking in here a lot the next week until I'm on my normal rhythm again. It'd be so easy to justify internet use as the exception right now (I mean, everything's the exception on vacation, right?). But though I'm fine with flexibility, I'm not doing exceptions.

Next right thing: 30 minutes side hustle
Later: shortened exercise session since I'll be pulling sleds full of kids up hills this afternoon, read to the toddler/review my Spanish words, and change out of my PJs/brush my teeth!
Tonight: 2 hours of side hustle to catch up for the week then read
Goal for next week: get my basics done first and then laze away the day after (not the other way around like much of this week, which has put me in catch-up mode)

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2020, 04:03:00 PM »
Changes in routine are always an easy time to falter on good habits. I'm going to try to make social distancing an opportunity to recommit to internet restrictions instead. It's not like I NEED second by second updates on the pandemic. I just reread Digital Minimalism, which was a good reminder that the blocks I've set up are not arbitrary rules but strategies toward an overall attitude I want to cultivate.

That said, this week was not my best. I logged 61 screen hours, 20.5 of which were on my phone.

Major consideration:
Various texting apps   10.5 hours   
MMM forum   9 hours   
News   7 hours
Email   5.5 hours
Phone browser   3 hours   
Facebook   2 hours
Slack   2 hours(counts as social media)
Twitter   1.5 hours
YNAB   1 hour
Advice column   1 hour   

Goal: Hmm. I have generally left items under 1 hour a week off this list. I'd like to shorten the list by keeping many of the the items under 45 minutes/week (over 45 gets rounded up to 1 hour).

With working from home, I don't expect my total screen time to decrease, but I'd still like to be working toward good habits.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2020, 11:03:23 PM »
Good idea to reread Digital Minimalism! It seems like a post-detox/challenge reread would bring quite a bit of perspective to the original message. Maybe I'll have to do that 6 months in.

Today during nap time I looked at cities and towns around the US instead of doing my exercise. I've been in my hometown visiting family for 2 weeks and it's been great in many ways but also interpersonally and emotionally challenging. I lived in my tiny hometown off and on (with stints in college and Mexico) throughout my twenties. Moving away from home and starting from 0 when I turned 30 was one of the most psychologically stressful things I've done.
I've always thought that my husband and I would end up back in my hometown after we were better established in our fields. But we've been in our new city nearly 4 years, and on this trip home, I realized that the homesickness I felt was nostalgia for my childhood more so than pining away for the specific location and community (I don't recognize many of the people now). I also love my family dearly (they all live in my hometown), but having a bit of physical distance has actually been pretty great for my relationships. I can stay in touch but am not too involved, if you know what I mean. And distance gives my husband and I a lot of freedom from other's opinions on the life/family we're building.
So that relates to the internet because I've wanted to just check out for much of the trip. There's been little downtime, little structure, lots of interesting relationship dynamics, and a growing sense that I'm moving on to a different phase in my life (which is exciting and super daunting all at the same time). Aside from today, however, I've stayed the course (off the internet) despite everything. Which is a big deal for me. My tendency is to numb out/check out when my mind or emotions are at capacity, but little by little I'm learning to just address things head on and process everything through rather than try to shut off.

Next right thing: do my exercise then read
Next right thing in terms of the home search: It's a huge life change, but not urgent in the least (we have 3-5 years more in our current city). I made a list of my priorities and my husband is working on his. During my internet or project evenings over the upcoming months, we'll research locations and finalize a list of the top 10 potential places for us to consider. Whenever I have the urge to do the research and it's not the appropriate time, I'll check in here and redirect.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2020, 08:42:26 PM »
I stayed off all day, as I was supposed to, and have spent several hours catching up in the evening. I think I need to cull what I catch up on.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2020, 04:14:37 AM »
Yeah, it's 2am and I've spent the last 6 hours looking at all things Coronavirus.
Time for bed.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2020, 11:46:37 PM »
I spent last night/off and on today reading about the coronavirus instead of doing my work, exercise, reading etc. I wanted to formulate a plan going into the next few months (job loss? lock down? falling ill?) and needed more background information.
My goal is to now try to the best of my ability to do my daily responsibilities, with my normal internet approach in play. I will check one curated content source for updates during nap time, as I do my text and Facebook messages. I'll try to check in here when I want to veer away from those limits.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #179 on: March 22, 2020, 08:16:28 AM »
Today I started my side hustle with checking my email.... and got distracted with news updates. Updates will have to wait until the toddler naps and I've done my exercise. It's hard to keep updates to 1x/daily because both my husband and I may very well lose our jobs in the next few weeks and it also took us nearly 8 hours to find our essentials at stores last week. But we're formulating a number of plan B's and updating ourselves everyday on the crisis in order to follow the guidelines. Otherwise, it's important to keep moving forward as much as possible.
Next right things: do my side hustle, read to the toddler, take a shower, make some bread and soup, exercise, call my family, and take inventory of the items we still need.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2020, 12:01:50 PM »
Working from home means my work laptop vs home desktop system isn't flying. Instead, I'm using my laptop full time, but distractions (including the news) are blocked except between the hours of 5 and 8 PM. This forces me to prioritize. I also block phone notifications from 9-11am and 12-5pm on workdays. It seems to be making a difference so far - still high total usage, but less distracting usage. Sunday is my free day, though. :)

This week (3/15-3/21) I logged 57.5 screen hours, 17 of which were on my phone.

Major consideration:
Various texting apps   10 hours   Similar to last week
MS Office   8 hours   
Email   6 hours   Similar to last week
News   4.5 hoursSimilar to last week
MMM forum   2.5 hours   Huge decrease!
Facebook   2.5 hoursSimilar to last week
Slack   1.5 hoursOnly blocked partway through the week - should decrease
Youtube   1.5 hoursDecided not to block this one for now, but will keep a close eye on it
Cal Newport's blog   1 hour   

Goal: Rather than focus on decreasing these numbers, I'd like to increase my time spent on non-work goals (though not at the expense of work ones). Self-isolation seems like a great opportunity to teach myself some new things, and I don't want to squander it. So my goal is to report next week on what new project I've worked on.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2020, 02:03:02 PM »
I did my news updates while the toddler napped. But ended up spending the entire time on updates and didn't get to my exercise. My ultimate goal is to keep updates to nap time. But I'd also like to exercise. So I will try to exercise first tomorrow.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2020, 10:09:45 PM »
The last two weeks have been hit or miss as far as the internet is concerned. It's not been a free-for-all, but still much looser than I'd like. I think I'm ready to get back to my normal check-ins (and move forward with my other MMM challenges as well) now that I feel a bit more oriented to what's unfolding with the pandemic.

So... as mentioned previously, I will check in on texts, facebook messages, and pandemic updates while the toddler naps and after I've exercised. Once she's awake, my time is up. I'll have to wait until the next day's nap to read more.
After she's in bed, my evenings will be: Spanish study, projects, hobby, reading, social (I'm bringing back my facebook groups for the time being since I'm not seeing friends in person), paperwork, and internet (process pocket and google keep, update MMM challenges, and research topics/post questions to my forums).

Anything outside these parameters will be cause for a check-in.
Next right thing: finalize my tax forms and brush my teeth

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »
I almost convinced myself to check facebook and the news before my exercise. But then remembered the drill: check in here with urges and redirect. So on to first things first.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: March 29, 2020, 11:27:02 AM »
Goal: Rather than focus on decreasing these numbers, I'd like to increase my time spent on non-work goals (though not at the expense of work ones). Self-isolation seems like a great opportunity to teach myself some new things, and I don't want to squander it. So my goal is to report next week on what new project I've worked on.

Ah, crap. Mostly this week I just accumulated new project ideas, without actually making progress on much. I planted some seeds in pots and I continued to cook from scratch all week. Next week I'm going to set myself the same goal and try to have more to show for it.

This week (3/15-3/21) I logged 49.5 screen hours, 13 of which were on my phone. (Both big decreases!)

Major consideration:
Various texting apps   9.5 hours   Similar to last week
Email + Zoom   5 hours   
Tumblr + fan wiki   5 hoursBig increase, but likely to be a one-time thing
News   3.5 hoursSlight decrease
Facebook   2 hoursSlight decrease
Food   2 hours
MMM forum   1.5 hours   Decrease!
YNAB   1.5 hours   
Youtube   1.5 hoursSimilar to last week

I think my strategy is working overall! I'm seeing fewer things make the cut, and my only big increase this week mostly took place within allowed hours.

As an aside, I use an extension to clean up Youtube's interface, removing recommended videos from the sidebar. This makes it much easier to watch what I came for and leave, instead of getting sucked in. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/df-tube-distraction-free/mjdepdfccjgcndkmemponafgioodelna?hl=en

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2020, 02:11:23 PM »
The last two weeks have not been great internet-wise. I'll post later with a full update. For now: on to exercise!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2020, 06:22:00 PM »
Since that 6 hour Coronavirus surf session 2 weeks ago, I've mostly kept my news updates and research to nap time (though it did spill over 2 or 3 days because my husband is home to watch the toddler) and a few evenings here and there (maybe 3?). But I'm still online more than I'd like to be, especially now that the new normal is becoming routine.

The last two weeks have been hectic (traveling home from out-of-state, dealing with job instability, preparing for the baby ahead of time, finishing up a tax project with my side hustle, and watching things unfold nationally/globally) and I've felt a need to digest everything (I read the news, research specific things that come up, and look over the discussion on MMM).

But we've figured out our multiple plan B's, we're ready for the baby, my side hustle is done for the next few months, and the US seems to have better insight/more of a strategy than a few weeks ago. I think it's time to get back to a more normal rhythm.

So nap time will be (in this order):
Exercise
One household detail
Check text and facebook messages
Look over news updates (but not research anything or look at MMM discussion)

(Once the toddler is up, it's time to put my computer away. If I want to keep going, I'll check in here).

My evenings are for:
-Spanish
-Projects
-Hobbies (magazines, newspaper, music, podcasts, something creative)
-Household papers
-Reading
-Non-surfing internet (update MMM challenges, go through pocket/google keep, read my blogs, and ask specific questions to my forums + read MMM updates on Coronavirus after I've done the previous)
-Surfing internet (Facebook groups in place of going out with friends due to distancing).

I haven't read in 2 weeks and will start that up again, which helps with turning off the internet an hour before bed (sad that the library doesn't do delivery but I do have an old textbook that I've been meaning to read).

Instead of being social in the afternoons or surfing while my partner watches the toddler (which is so tempting), we're:
-Cooking from scratch to slash our grocery budget (yogurt, bread, hummus, peanut butter) - the toddler is loving this
-Reading extra or breaking out the art supplies
-Going for extra walks
-Spreading out our chores over the whole week so they feel super easy

During unexpected pockets of downtime I will: read or do hobbies/projects/paperwork

I'll probably be checking in quite a bit here over the next few weeks with a lot of justifications for why internet use is the exception. Glad to have a few months of reasonable success under my belt to know that they will decrease with time.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 06:24:57 PM by Luz »

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2020, 08:31:23 AM »
Well, I'm back to update.

COVID news totally set me back on my good internet habits.

Not only am I checking various news sites for COVID pandemic updates, I went all-in on checking Facebook every day. I check in on every business site I know for legislation updates (I am bombarded with questions from clients any time the President mentions something business or tax related in a press conference). I check local Facebook groups for information on where to find basic household supplies. There's also a private Facebook group for my gym where the instructors will be doing live classes, so checking that for updates and scheduling.

I'm totally derailed.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2020, 07:02:04 PM »
My strategy has been restricting most internet surfing to 3 hours a day in the evening. I recommend something like that. For the most part, you know what you need to know; no day's news is so urgent you need to know it immediately.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2020, 12:04:23 PM »
My strategy has been restricting most internet surfing to 3 hours a day in the evening. I recommend something like that. For the most part, you know what you need to know; no day's news is so urgent you need to know it immediately.

Eh . . .

The news that our libraries were going to close until who knows when was received by my wife three hours before they were shutting their doors.  Thanks to that and some quick panic borrowing we still have new books to read three weeks in.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: April 03, 2020, 07:22:02 PM »
I can't tell if that's arguing my restrictions are unnecessary or too lenient. Or is it just a non sequitur?

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2020, 10:12:44 PM »
I think I'm back in action despite everything that's going on. I had unexpected downtime yesterday and did projects instead of surfed. This evening I studied Spanish even though I really wanted to blow it off and surf instead. It took all of 2 minutes to get into it and I have a lovely sense of satisfaction for having done it. I think I just needed new parameters for the new situation (especially one filled with so much uncertainty).

@GuitarStv, I'm so jealous that your family was able to load up on books! I would take books over TP any day. If I were to give myself unlimited time to stay up on everything that's happening, however, I would probably just while away every free moment on the internet and the books would remain untouched. For that reason, I'm ok with missing out on opportunities/being a day late to hear breaking news (and sheesh, I barely scroll down my daily news feed before a notification pops up that there's a new update). For me, once a day will have to do.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2020, 11:54:19 AM »
I can't tell if that's arguing my restrictions are unnecessary or too lenient. Or is it just a non sequitur?

Just an argument that monitoring local news during a time of crisis can be prudent and beneficial.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: April 05, 2020, 12:16:29 PM »

Just an argument that monitoring local news during a time of crisis can be prudent and beneficial.

Ah, now I follow - my bad. Following the news closely probably offers some benefit, but for me it doesn't justify the daily cost to my time or mental health. A daily check-in would have qualified as following closely just a short time ago! Still, nice work stocking up on books. I have 3 more from my library before I'll have to either switch to kindle or work through my owned bookshelves.

This week (3/29-4/4) I logged 62 screen hours, 14 of which were on my phone. This is a big increase in desktop time, but I think that's due to learning and reading I did on my computer.

I took on a bunch of "new project" type stuff. I started reviewing college statistics and took an hourlong overview course on vegetable gardening. In the kitchen, I made bread x2, ricotta (partial failure), cookies, and peanut butter from scratch. I read a series of comic books and discussed it with a friend, and also spent more time digitally hanging out with friends overall. I finally scrubbed the whole bathroom as I've been meaning to do ever since this stay-at-home moment began. It's good to feel like I tried and learned new stuff this week instead of wasting away on a screen.

Major consideration:
Digital reading   8 hours   
Various texting apps   7.5 hours   2 hour decrease!
Youtube + online class   7.5 hoursMost youtube is educational content
Social distance contact   6 hours   Includes work, volunteer, and social time
MMM forum   3.5 hours   2 hour increase
Email   3 hours   
Excel   2 hours
News   2 hoursSignificant decrease
YNAB   1.5 hours
Food   1.5 hours
Facebook   1.5 hoursSlight decrease

I think this shows a shift toward valuable digital activities. I want to keep an eye on my forum time, but I'm not too worried yet. I would be happy with another week similar to this one.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: April 07, 2020, 09:43:48 PM »
Logging after after my surf time. 1 hour 13 minutes.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »
The toddler is taking a long nap and I've checked the news, my messages, etc. I'd REALLY like to look at Facebook or MMM threads, so I'm checking in here. Instead, I'm going to do a bit of paperwork. Or just do nothing. Tonight, I'm doing more paperwork and chip away at a project.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »
I've felt uninspired with chipping away at my project and REALLY want to scroll my facebook groups. Instead, I'm going to work on my budget, make a grocery list, go through my email inbox, cross off a "to do" item, and update my calendar.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2020, 01:48:28 PM »
I got my exercise in today, then reviewed messages and the news. The toddler is up, but her dad's on duty and I have 2 hours to do my own thing. There were a number of details that came up in the news that my present self would like to research further (and also see if people on MMM threads are saying anything about). But, my future self would like to keep that research to once a week and today is not the day. It'll have to wait until Sunday evening. My intention this morning for those two hours was to deep clean the kitchen and chip away at a project I'm trying to finish by the end of the month. So that's what I'm going to do!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2020, 07:43:30 PM »
Cleaning the kitchen yesterday was just what I needed to process through some thoughts and ideas and get my inspiration back for my project. Cool how that worked out. I doubt surfing would've done the same. There's something about doing physical work with loud music playing.

Today was plan B. I took my internet hour during nap time and am hanging out with my husband tonight for our anniversary. Sunday I'll do my Spanish. Technically, moving Spanish to Sunday gives me more time to study, which is good because I have some catching up to do. But it also felt like a bit of a loophole to take my internet time early. I guess I'll just have to watch that the shuffling around doesn't lead to going off the rails. I'll check in here like usual.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2020, 10:48:58 AM »
Yesterday's positive: I spent the evening reading and hanging out with my partner. I exercised and did a household detail during nap time.

Yesterday's negative: I got sucked in to the news during the last half of nap time and ended up looking at articles and stats for 1.5 hours after the toddler was up while she was with her dad. I also posted to MMM's coronavirus discussion.

My goal today is to keep news updates and analyses to nap time. But I think I'll allow myself to look at the coronavirus discussion on MMM as long as I put it away when the toddler is up (even if I'm not the one watching her).

This evening is for studying Spanish.