Author Topic: Own up to your internet usage  (Read 28179 times)

Luz

• Bristles
Re: Own up to your internet usage
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2020, 08:00:55 PM »
Took my surf time tonight and did 1.5 hours. Went a ways over yesterday too. It's likely because I surfed first thing both evenings rather than getting my side hustle done before hand. I'm procrastinating.
So on to my side hustle tonight. Tomorrow's surf time will be after the side hustle is done. We'll see how that affects my willingness to log off.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2020, 09:34:23 AM »
This week is a bit odd - I had 3 pretty bad days and then 3 excellent ones. So I hope to do even better than this next time.

Last week (1/5-1/11) I logged 48.5 screen hours, 15 of which were on my phone. That's my lowest ever, though vacation was even less.

Major consideration:
MMM forum   6 hours   Yikes
Various texting apps   6 hours   
Advice column   3.5 hours   More yikes
Youtube   2.5 hours   
News   2 hours
Facebook   1.5 hours
YNAB   1 hour

Goal: Stick to the principles I laid out on Wednesday, especially making my work laptop single-use. Try for under 40 screen hours.

Strategy: I guess I sort of said this above. But this will probably require me to use my phone less as well.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2020, 09:50:54 PM »
I did my side hustle before surfing tonight!!!
... but I still surfed past my target time of 1 hour. I did 1 hour and 45 minutes.
I had somewhere around 4.5 hours surf time this week.
Next week, I'll focus on doing my side hustle beforehand and see how things shake out. If I go way over 3 hours again, I'll look at different strategies to try.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »
I thought about it today, and I think my strategy for logging off after my surf time this week will be to update my gauntlet challenges outside of surf time. I had two weeks of 3 hour surf times that felt sufficient. But since I've taken surf-time to post on the challenges, my surf time hasn't felt relaxed.

I have 3 challenges related to projects I do on Monday-Wednesday evenings, so I post to those forums then. I have 2 more challenges related to sleep and reading that I think help supplement my internet-use challenge, since right after I use the internet for surfing or projects, I try to read, then get my butt in bed. So like I do for this thread, I won't have set parameters when I can post for those ones.  I'll try for whenever I have an update that will help forward movement in those areas. And check in here for how it goes.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
The toddler is sleeping and it's time to catch up on a few hours of my side hustle. Instead, I would love to look up random things on google and and even started clicking on a few links. But tomorrow is my surf night, so I can google whatever I want then.
Next right action: side hustle (and it's fairly rote today, so not much effort is required). Work first, play later.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2020, 09:10:41 PM »
I took my surfing hour tonight instead of tomorrow because I'm going out with a friend. 1 hour and 9 minutes.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2020, 05:49:17 AM »
I've done a pretty great job this week.

I'm still cold turkey on the three websites that caused the most problems.  40 days on the worst one, then 30 days streak on the other two.  Even better, I've done it without blocking software but just by setting incremental goals, which is the way to make it a sustainable habit.

Like I predicted, there was a bit of a whack-a-mole process.  I think I started surfing MMM and bogleheads more when I stopped those other sites.  I do like MMM, so the deal I made with myself this week is that I'd stop for the week and then get a day where I can get my fill.  This is working well because before I was actually getting a bit bored with the site and just surfing to distract myself, but when I save it up there's great content here to check and also I can really take stock of the week in posts like this.  I don't want to go cold turkey on everything, so this approach worked this week and I want to keep it up again.

I've been logging work time too so now I have a full capture of screentime.  Work is like 99% productive so that's good but it does make me think about how much time I spend in front of screens period.

Per rescue time I've spent 5h and 49 minutes on distracting sites this week.  I'm sure I'll log a few hours today and bump that up past the ultimate goal of 7hours, but that's OK.  Last week I was at 16h and 30 minutes and historically I had some weeks above 20h, so this is a great improvement.  Rescue time is tricky because you need to trust the classifications and so there's always category errors, but it's a useful ballpark.  Mostly, I feel like things are under control.

The tough part this week was I have a trigger to surf on the internet when I get home from work as a "reward."  I am so exhausted when I am done work and this has been my bad habit for a while, so sometimes this week I was literally "white knuckling" it to not do it.  I need replacement habits, such as making tea and cleaning the house with podcasts, to help.  My hope is over time I actually rewire my brain away from these triggers and so it gets easier.

I also spent some time reading stupid news articles, and "researching" properties, solely to get my screentime fix.  I'd love to just be zen for a bit and have a tech diet, and then use designated time to just do things that add the most value, but that's going to be a process.

My goal next week is just to keep things up.  MMM and Bogleheads for today only, but then a break until next Sunday.  Continue with the ban for the initial three sites.  I'm trying to work on pointless pick-ups too, so I deleted Personal Capital from my phone and won't check net worth until next Saturday, on my computer.  I'm going to work on replacement habits too, so that I don't get home from work and just stare forlornly at my phone and wish it was Saturday and I could surf freely.  I want to get home from work and enjoy a more wholesome ritual, like making herbal tea and listening to a podcast while picking up. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:06:50 AM by blinx7 »

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2020, 09:51:35 AM »
I want to get home from work and enjoy a more wholesome ritual, like making herbal tea and listening to a podcast while picking up.

Congrats on your progress blinx! I would suggest maybe not to replace your "rest" surfing with a chore, and instead acknowledge that your brain needs some downtime. The tea and podcast part sounds great. :)

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2020, 08:58:47 PM »
1 hour and 12 minutes of my designated surf time today. I've got a good book waiting for me, so it's time to log off.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2020, 10:13:22 AM »
I made my goal of 40 hours or less! Last week (1/12-1/18) I logged 40 screen hours, 15 of which were on my phone.

Major consideration:
Various texting apps   7.5 hours   
MMM forum   5 hours   
Email   3.5 hours   
News   2 hours
Facebook   1.5 hours
YNAB   1.5 hours   
Advice column   1 hour   
Career development   1 hour
Recipes   1 hour
Youtube   0.5 hours   

I'm fairly pleased with most of this. Due to the nature of my work, I expect my total hours to go up next week, especially with some career development hours. That's not a problem.

Goal: I would like to HALVE both my top two categories, so aiming for under 4 hours on texting apps and under 2.5 hours on MMM.

Strategy: I guess I better get off! Cutting down MMM just means less time on "all unread" looking for new interesting threads. I'm not actually sure how my texting got so big; per day, my usage ranged from 13 minutes to two hours. I'll just keep an eye on it and see if I can spot any patterns.

ETA: Just realized my phone was set to stay on for 5 minutes of inactivity, which may have been boosting my numbers (both from fake usage and from being more likely to catch my attention that way). I just turned it back to 30 seconds. Maybe that will help.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:15:03 AM by Tass »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2020, 08:59:32 PM »
1 hour, 10 minutes for my third hour of surfing this week. It was so much easier logging off this week than last. I'm guessing it's because I got my fill of just dinking around and didn't need to cram in task-based updates into surf time as well. We'll see how the next few weeks play out.
On to reading!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2020, 01:37:53 PM »
Week 12 of the challenge, so it's time to look over the numbers from start to present.

Random urges to surf when not time: 26
-12 of which were in the first week (and 5 urges the next)
-2 of which were urges I acted on
-3 weeks had no urges at all
-I think urges have decreased to every 1-1.5 weeks. Though there was a 2 week span the first weeks of 2020. Progress!

Getting distracted by interesting links when doing something task-based:
-7 distractions, I think I caught myself 2 times or so and the rest were 10  minutes of clicking on links before realizing I had to report myself.

Total hours exceeding desired 3 hour surf time log off:
-7 (8 of the 12 weeks have been 3.5 hours (the .5 is taking 10 minutes per evening to wrap things up at the 1 hour mark, which I'm ok with)

I'll keep checking in with urges.
Distractions are challenging, but I will continue to check in with them, even after the fact if necessary. And continue to work on setting up my digital life in the least-distracting way.
I'm shooting for 1 hour of surf time + no more than a 10 minute wrap-up x 3 evenings a week. I now update my challenges outside of surf time. It works best to completely separate tasks and surfing (both in staying focused with tasks, but also with keeping surf-time unproductive).

I'm interested to see how this year shakes out.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 01:58:41 PM by Luz »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2020, 12:58:04 PM »
I was on the way to updating one of my MMM challenges, but it's not one of the 3 that I update as the inspiration strikes. It's one I update weekly on the nights I do my projects. The update can wait until Monday.

Having accountability has helped so much in seeing forward movement in different goals. And updating my challenges outside of surf time has really helped with logging off when my time's up. But I want to stick to certain parameters about when I'll make updates, so it's not taking over time meant for other things.

For now: paperwork then exercise.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2020, 08:58:04 PM »
1 hour, 10 minute Friday night surf session. Time to read.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2020, 09:45:04 PM »
I clocked 10 hours of distracting time over 7 days last week.  I'm at 10 right now over 6 days this week.  Still way down from previous weeks -- basically in half.  Some of the distracting time was actually useful things, too, it's just the Rescue Time classification system is a bit odd and I haven't dug into it too much yet.

I'm still good on the three blogs I was trying to avoid.  I ignored MMM and personal capital all week, but I cracked Friday night.  Technically a day early but I surfed all Saturday morning last week and this week I've got plans to exercise with a friend.  Instead of a marathon session, I'm going to try some time tonight and then some time Saturday and then it's back to the goals so I'll be logging off starting Sunday until next weekend.

I was "white knuckling" it a bit yesterday, but things are going OK on the whole.  Life is still as busy as ever, even with less surfing.  I think that's just the way it rolls with three little kids.  I finished up a TV show I was watching regularly on Netflix, so I need to make sure that time is channeled to good use.  My big goal for next week is going to be to keep things up, but channel the reduced TV time well. 

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2020, 09:47:40 PM »
I made my goal of 40 hours or less! Last week (1/12-1/18) I logged 40 screen hours, 15 of which were on my phone.

Major consideration:
MMM forum   5 hours   
Email   3.5 hours   
News   2 hours
Facebook   1.5 hours
YNAB   1.5 hours   
Advice column   1 hour   
Recipes   1 hour
Youtube   0.5 hours   

I'm fairly pleased with most of this. Due to the nature of my work, I expect my total hours to go up next week, especially with some career development hours. That's not a problem.

Goal: I would like to HALVE both my top two categories, so aiming for under 4 hours on texting apps and under 2.5 hours on MMM.

Strategy: I guess I better get off! Cutting down MMM just means less time on "all unread" looking for new interesting threads. I'm not actually sure how my texting got so big; per day, my usage ranged from 13 minutes to two hours. I'll just keep an eye on it and see if I can spot any patterns.

ETA: Just realized my phone was set to stay on for 5 minutes of inactivity, which may have been boosting my numbers (both from fake usage and from being more likely to catch my attention that way). I just turned it back to 30 seconds. Maybe that will help.

Great work, Tass.  I really like how you broke down the time so well, it helps put things in perspective.  I'm sure it will be helpful for tracking week to week.  I'm going to dig into rescue time a bit more and see if I can pull out some useful data like this. 

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2020, 09:50:07 PM »
Week 12 of the challenge, so it's time to look over the numbers from start to present.

Random urges to surf when not time: 26

Getting distracted by interesting links when doing something task-based:
-7 distractions

How do you track this?  Do you just mark it in notepad each time? 

These numbers are good, I think probably what I have in a day.  What did things look like in Week 1?

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2020, 09:06:12 PM »
@blinx7, I check in to this thread with every urge, distraction, and late log off. I just scrolled through and tallied it up by week.
I had very convincing urges to randomly surf a few times a day the first week. Then it went down to every day for the next week. It's been once a weekish since then. But I've noticed that getting distracted by links when I'm doing task-based things has taken the place of urges as my main challenge. It's harder to pause before acting in those cases. That and logging off after my time is up.

With that in mind 1 hour, 10 minutes for Saturday night surf time (and another 15 min for this reply on my way to logging off). On to reading.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:26:05 PM by Luz »

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2020, 09:08:54 PM »
I had the impression that this week didn't go well, but the numbers were better than I thought. I didn't meet my ambitious goals, but I did move in the right direction.

Last week (1/19-1/25) I logged 39 screen hours, 12 of which were on my phone.

Major consideration:
Various texting apps   6.5 hours   
MMM forum   3.5 hours   
Email   3.5 hours   
News   2 hours
Facebook   1.5 hours
Goodreads   1 hour?? no clue how that happened
Recipes   1 hour

Goal: I want to get that texting time a little lower.

Strategy: This is probably straightforward, as I have a lot of lab work to do this week. I'm approaching a level that I'm pleased with! Let's keep it up.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2020, 12:53:42 PM »
I visited a friend last night during my surf time (I'm trying to get out around friends more evenings a week) and tonight have a book I want to chip away at for this week's reading challenge (it's kind've dragging on and I need to make some progress). But that means I won't surf again until Friday night, because surfing before then will eat into other things I need to do, even though I technically have time leftover.

Also, the toddler is 10x the usual work this week because she's teething and miserable. Toddlers are irrational anyway, but teething really takes it to a new level. Surfing and multiple bowls of chocolate ice cream are a tempting way to deal with how exhausting this phase is, but I know they won't make me feel better in the long run. Those teeth will poke through sooner than later, and I'll be glad to have stayed the course meanwhile. No exceptions, especially for the times when I think I deserve them most.

Next right thing: finish my journaling meditation, exercise, and hop in the shower (being un-showered is such a trigger for just throwing the day away, for some reason)

@Tass and @blinx7  Work it! I'm impressed.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2020, 10:43:10 AM »
I decided how to structure my MMM challenge updates. I already do 3 challenge updates during the evenings I do related projects and study Spanish. For the others, if I have updates, I will check in while the toddler is napping or during her solo playtime, but only after I've gotten the responsibilities that I usually do during those times done. I'll track updates on paper for when there isn't time to fit them in. And I'll check in here when I want to log updates and it's not the appropriate time to do so. I'll keep updates for this challenge flexible, because it's what helps me redirect urge to surf in the moment. 

So to review, check-ins are for:
-urges to surf when it's not time (outside of my 3 evening hours weekly)
-urges to update challenges when it's not time (outside my project evenings and before completing other responsibilities)
-distractions when I'm using the internet for task-based items
-logging off from surfing when my time is up

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2020, 08:22:27 PM »
My evening schedule changed a bit so now I'm surfing Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights.
Tonight: 1 hour, 20 minutes.
Time to read.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2020, 08:46:59 AM »
Things have been pretty great this week.  Still cold turkey on the sites I decided to cut out of my life.  Way less time on news and distractions.  Rescue Time is showing 4 hours and 5 minutes, and most of that was my designated MMM break on Friday night / Saturday morning.  I also averaged an hour of TV a night Monday through Thursday and was able to work on bedtime habits as a result.  I think this is great because I knew I couldn't just say "no internet" and poof because that's never worked, so instead I've been thinking of this as a process of rewiring my habits and it's been generally working. 

I'm trying to apply a bit of Marie Condo logic to my time on the internet.  Is this really bringing me joy?  I am OK blocking out some break time for things that bring me joy, but to cut mercilessly things being done to distract myself or that engage me but I dislike, like political arguments.  There was a thread I posted on last week on this site for example, that didn't start political but sort of spiraled that way.  I checked this week and was going to respond to someone's post that I thought was pretty rude, but then I stopped and thought "is this worth it?  does it bring me joy?  does it help the world?"  The stupid thing is I really don't care passionately one way or another, I think I just like debating and proving points.  But I can do that in a constructive manner in my job and make money and help my clients.  Wasting that mental energy in my personal time, when I should be recovering, is insane.  So I'm just trying to disengage from things that aren't really adding value and it's mostly working.  I'm proud of myself or recognizing this in advance and not "taking the bait."  (Upon reflection, I am guessing a lot of people in those threads are actually very normal, nice people, with the same problems as me, and they frame their arguments to be purposefully provocative in order to get other people to take the bait -- and I probably did that too.)

I did have a bit of an issue last night, where I designated Friday as my "free internet time" but then watched TV with my wife, so I stayed up later to surf more.  I watched some really interesting Youtube documentaries on North Korea, but then stayed up until almost 1am.  Worst, I've been doing so good at my wake-up goals that I was awake at 6:30 anyways and couldn't really fall back asleep, so I laid in bed until 8am and just dragged myself up. 
So I think I need to remember that a break time is great but the break needs to bring me joy.  A break that fits into my life is break, but a break that disrupts it is just a binge. 

I'm thinking of this process like cleaning up my diet.  We can't avoid food, and we can't survive just on broccoli.  But we need to make sure we are nourishing our bodies properly and that treats have their place in our diet but just their place and not the base.  Screentime is the same way.  Some things just need to be eliminated (like the online versions of Cheez Whiz).  But other things need to be moderated, or enjoyed at certain time, or stopped for a brief period to achieve a goal and then brought back when they can be handled well.  Also, like diet we are going to have occasional lapses.  But as long as those lapses are just an hour or two more than we should, and just once every couple weeks, etc., that's gonna be just fine.  But if they start to pile up we will just need to course correct.

I read that it takes an average of 66 days for something to go from a tracked goal to just a habit.  For something as ingrained as needlessly scrolling blog / reddit comments (which I did for over a decade), I think I'm going to need a bit more than that.  So I'm still tracking as goals staying away from those stupid political sites and am going to do so for at least another few months.  I need to make sure I knock that out for six months until I can just say "wow that's all out of my life now."

This week I exercised twice, went on a networking dinner, and was more engaged with kids before bedtime.  I also ate my meal prepped lunches from Sunday all week, and I spent time texting friends in order to line up plans. Superbowl this week, followed by two brunches the next two weeks, and a happy hour in a few weeks.  Some regular exercise plans with friends as well.  I was active before, but now with extra mental space I can redirect internet time to planning these things and do even more.  Also, I used to feel deprived or stressed with too many activities, because I "needed" my 2-3 hours of internet or TV time.  I've whittled this down to an hour of relaxing TV and minimal internet "surfing" except for designated breaks, so I can have a full day work and fun activities and not feel stressed for time.

Need to still be watchful and not declare victory early because in the past I've made progress then relapsed during stressful periods.  But two months in and things are going great.  Onward and upward. 

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2020, 09:06:55 AM »
@blinx7, I check in to this thread with every urge, distraction, and late log off. I just scrolled through and tallied it up by week.
I had very convincing urges to randomly surf a few times a day the first week. Then it went down to every day for the next week. It's been once a weekish since then. But I've noticed that getting distracted by links when I'm doing task-based things has taken the place of urges as my main challenge. It's harder to pause before acting in those cases. That and logging off after my time is up.

With that in mind 1 hour, 10 minutes for Saturday night surf time (and another 15 min for this reply on my way to logging off). On to reading.

Thanks.  I think checking in here when I wanted to play on the internet would be dangerous for me! 

Links are dangerous.  I remember reading something about how even the presence of links reduces reading comprehension.  Maybe one solution would be to download something like Pocket and save the article you opened in a link for later and see whether you actually care once the instant temptation is gone?  But anyways you are doing great so doesn't seem like you need to worry that much. 

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2020, 09:45:49 AM »
I'm trying to apply a bit of Marie Condo logic to my time on the internet.  Is this really bringing me joy?  I am OK blocking out some break time for things that bring me joy, but to cut mercilessly things being done to distract myself or that engage me but I dislike, like political arguments.  There was a thread I posted on last week on this site for example, that didn't start political but sort of spiraled that way.  I checked this week and was going to respond to someone's post that I thought was pretty rude, but then I stopped and thought "is this worth it?  does it bring me joy?  does it help the world?"

I like this and I like your diet analogy.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2020, 03:25:35 PM »
Last week (1/26-2/1 I logged 49 screen hours, 17 of which were on my phone.

Major consideration:
MMM forum   3.5 hours   
Word + Excel   4 hours   
Email   3 hours   
Audio   2.5 hours   (Spotify, podcasts, etc)
News   1.5 hours
Facebook   1.5 hours
Career development   1.5 hours
YNAB   1.5 hours   
Phone browser   1.5 hours   
Skype   1 hour
Recipes   1 hour

Texting and MMM are still the two things killing me.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2020, 11:31:18 AM »
I had an epic fail in one of my other MMM challenges today and REALLY (like thinking of all sorts of reasons why it would be the exception) want to check into the thread to do a little analysis and troubleshooting. But Saturday is my update day for that particular thread. By respecting my internet boundaries, my off-screen life is so much fuller and I still get to enjoy my time online (just not whenever the mood strikes). Best of both worlds.

I'm just going to write about it offline if I have time (after completing all my other responsibilities for the day that are important to me), then copy and paste to the thread Saturday. If I don't have time today, I'll do it when I next have downtime or just on Saturday, whichever comes first.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2020, 08:16:41 PM »
1 hour, 11 minutes surf time tonight.
On to reading.
I've read a book a week since the first of the year! I probably read 12 books all of last year. I'm so pleased!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2020, 09:05:19 PM »
2 hours for tonight's surf session. I didn't surf Sunday because of a super bowl party, so technically I'm within my 3 hours + change bounds for the week... but the intention was to just do 1 hour tonight, so it feels a bit like a justification (I got sucked into a particularly juicy discussion on one of my FB forums and by the time I looked at the clock, I was 1 hr 20 minutes in- since I had gone over, I thought I might work it for what it's worth).
Anyway, next right thing: brush teeth and read a bit before lights out.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2020, 04:05:06 PM »
Success this week:

Continue cold turkey from the three sites I quit two months ago.
4hr 59 minutes "distracting time" this week so far.  Little higher than this time last week but last week I ended up spending a few hours on Saturday, and so if I don't do that tomorrow this week will probably be the lowest yet.
Watched less than one hour of TV most nights. 

Struggles:

I did check MMM and personal capital a few times.  MMM was really just a quick check, and I looked and thought "I can live without this and wait until the weekend."  So that's good. 
I did spend a lot of time this week "researching" productivity apps and strategies.  This is part of my brain tricking myself.  When I started this journey quitting the political blogs two months ago, I found my self seized with the urge to start "researching" personal finance again.  I stopped that, and then now it's "researching" productivity.  Nothing wrong with that, but it should be channeled to the appropriate time slots (after dinner, but less than an hour before bed) and preferably high quality materials (a highly regarded book) plus active reflection, not random blog posts.  (Note that some of these blogs are classified as "productive" in Rescue Time, so my distracting totals are a bit skewed and I probably wasted more time than might be evident).

Goals for next week:

Same as before, except I've noticed now how much I literally pick up my phone.  To check e-mails.  To open the budgeting app.  A lot of times, honestly, I'm opening just to distract myself.  Or just because it feels nice, because it's my habit.  Last week it averaged 69 times per day!  Given that my screen time has gone down a lot, that's really high.  Some of this is to listen to music, or text my friends, or respond to a work e-mail or do my budget, so it can't go to zero because it's a useful tool, but just picking it up randomly every 15 minutes at work is a bad, distracting habit.  Now that long surf sessions have dwindled, I'm going to work to average under 35 pickups a day from now on.  I'm also just working on turning my phone off and putting it in its charger earlier in the night or for long stretches over the weekend. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:08:56 PM by blinx7 »

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2020, 04:10:43 PM »
I had an epic fail in one of my other MMM challenges today and REALLY (like thinking of all sorts of reasons why it would be the exception) want to check into the thread to do a little analysis and troubleshooting. But Saturday is my update day for that particular thread. By respecting my internet boundaries, my off-screen life is so much fuller and I still get to enjoy my time online (just not whenever the mood strikes). Best of both worlds.

I'm just going to write about it offline if I have time (after completing all my other responsibilities for the day that are important to me), then copy and paste to the thread Saturday. If I don't have time today, I'll do it when I next have downtime or just on Saturday, whichever comes first.

Great job!  I think using the offline journal for daily reflection, and then checking in here only occasionally for social interaction, is a great idea. 

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2020, 08:16:44 PM »
I have 3 hours of kid-free time prior to bedtime. 1 hour when the toddler is playing in her room alone and 2 hours when she naps. Ideally, I shower in the morning then exercise and do household paperwork in the afternoon (check off to-do list items, make grocery list, budget, manage library borrowing, deal with emails...). Today instead of showering, I spent time researching apartments since we're moving soon. It's task-based, so that's fine. But even for task-based items, I'd like to keep them corralled into certain times of the day. Otherwise they take over time that should go to other things. So I'll check in here if I'm tempted to use the internet even for tasks before I shower, exercise, or get my paperwork done.

Check ins now include:
-urges to use the internet for task-based items before shower, exercise, or household paperwork
-urges to update challenges outside my project evenings and before shower, exercise, or household paperwork
-urges to surf when it's not time (outside of my 3 evening hours weekly)
-distractions when I'm using the internet for task-based items (I downloaded Pocket and am brainstorming how to train myself to divert distractions in its direction, thanks @blinx7)
-logging off from surfing when my time is up

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2020, 10:13:24 AM »
I did spend a lot of time this week "researching" productivity apps and strategies.  This is part of my brain tricking myself.  When I started this journey quitting the political blogs two months ago, I found my self seized with the urge to start "researching" personal finance again.  I stopped that, and then now it's "researching" productivity.  Nothing wrong with that, but it should be channeled to the appropriate time slots (after dinner, but less than an hour before bed) and preferably high quality materials (a highly regarded book) plus active reflection, not random blog posts.  (Note that some of these blogs are classified as "productive" in Rescue Time, so my distracting totals are a bit skewed and I probably wasted more time than might be evident).

Could you scratch the research itch with nonfiction books?

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2020, 02:44:38 PM »
The benefits of this challenge have been a bit subtle and have taken awhile to build (and as someone mentioned earlier, I don't magically have gobs of extra time). But I'm really seeing the benefits in my relationships lately.

The first year of my daughter's life was pretty exhausting. So when we got her to bed in the evening, my husband and I would just kind've zone out to the internet to decompress (sitting next to each other on the couch!). But now we're taking ~30 minutes right after the toddler goes down to catch up before he does homework and I do my side hustle then various projects or surfing. It's made all the difference.

We also moved to a new city for grad school. Then I had my daughter right after graduating. So I hadn't put a lot of effort into getting to know people the three years we've been here. And it's been so lonely. But part of reducing my reliance on the internet has been about making an effort to get out there and build friendships, and it's slowly but surely paying off. I now have three or so social engagements every week on top of in-person meetings with my facebook groups twice a week. I doubt I would be as engaged during the week with people in real life if I was spending as much time on the internet as before this challenge. It's also taken a ton of initiative on my part, where before I approached it quite passively.

On a separate note, until this point, my purpose in this challenge has been to separate out surfing from task-based use of the internet. But I know some of you look at both productive and non-productive use as a whole. I think I'm ready for that next step. So this week I'd like to portion out my task-based use a bit better and establish a few parameters.

@blinx7  I'm right there with you on the whole research issue. The time slot solution has been the only thing that's been helpful so far since I can get lost researching a subject only to find myself back at the original question hours upon hours later (though reading nonfiction in the evening has been a great outlet, like @Tass mentioned, even if hasn't been about following my nose on the particular questions that pop into my mind). I'm interested to see what tricks you find helpful!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2020, 08:43:12 PM »
1 hour, 12 minutes surf time. I want to keep scrolling, but I still have an hour each on Tuesday and Wednesday where I can pick up where I left off.
Time to read!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2020, 07:59:37 AM »
Checking in just briefly for the moment. 

I had a screen time binge last night.  The ultimate source was a stressful morning meeting. 

I am learning how much of this is psychological.  When I am stressed, I seek an escape, and for me the escape is getting lost in the sea of the internet.   

I think when I am really stressed like that, I need to journal.  If I have thoughts just rattling around in my head, then it doesn't work to say "just drink some tea."  That's not how I roll.  Me and the teacup can be up to 2am with the same thoughts racing.  So I need a way to get the thoughts out of my brain and put them in a box so I can clear my head and return to them later.

One bright side is that I did stay away from the political blogs.  I looked at this site for a bit, and some financial news, and then watched a Youtube video about the Fifth Amendment.  I learned not to talk to the cops if I am arrested.  Good to know, but pointless.

It's ok, this is a journey and one thing I pride myself on is that I make mistakes and backslide a lot but I am determined.  So today is a new day and I am going to saddle up and keep on keeping on. 

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2020, 08:32:49 AM »
Slightly late update. Last week (2/2-2/8 I logged 48.5 screen hours, 15 of which were on my phone.

Major consideration:
Various texting apps   5 hours   
News   4.5 hours   Unusual political week!
MMM forum   4.5 hours   
Email   4.5 hours   
Facebook   3.5 hoursTends to go up when I'm reading lots of news
Tax prep   2 hours   
Phone browser   1.5 hours   
Word + Excel   1.5 hours   
Twitter   1.5 hoursHow?? I don't HAVE twitter!
YNAB   1 hour   
Advice column   1 hour   

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »
I got my paperwork done early and have the urge to update challenges. But the time to do that is after I've also done my exercise. So on to exercise. Hopefully the toddler will still be sleeping when I've finished. If not, there will be later opportunities.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2020, 08:22:41 PM »
1 hour, 18 minutes surf time today.Tomorrow I'd like to begin wrapping up at the 1 hour mark (with 10 minutes margin time). Today I began wrapping up at 1 hour, 10 minutes (I'm working the system).

I'm super into my current book: "Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner". Time to read it.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2020, 08:47:37 PM »
1 hour, 43 minutes. I did start wrapping up at the 1 hour mark and not the 1 hour, 10 minute mark like yesterday. But I was in the middle of a MMM post... and spent some time thinking about it and the thread's subject. If going over becomes a theme next week, I'll address it then. If not, I guess it was just time I needed to wrap my head around that particular subject.

On to brushing teeth and reading my (oh so good) book.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2020, 06:51:06 AM »
This morning I was going to look up some details from the book I'm reading while the toddler is otherwise occupied. But that will have to wait for the appropriate time (after getting my exercise, shower, and paperwork done).

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2020, 11:55:21 AM »
I'm thoroughly inspired by the book I'm reading and was on my way to clicking a link related to the subject, but now's not the time. I have 2 hours of side hustle to do instead. I'll look at the link and dig into the other book-related research at the next appropriate time.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2020, 07:21:00 AM »

Total clock in was more than last week but less than the week before.   This week (6 days so far):  8h 39 min distracting over 6 days.  (Last week was 7.5 hours for all seven days).  Rescue time still says "trending downwards" even though it's already higher than last week plus I have a day left, so I guess it uses a rolling average for that feature.  I did cut down phone pickups from an average of 69 a day to an average of 49. 

I had two lapses, Monday night when I was stressed, and then Friday night when I was allowed to surf, but then I ended up wasting time when I wasn't really having fun... more like mindless surfing because I "could" rather than something really enjoyable.  So that's another lesson, that just because I give myself the window does't mean I need to take it... it's just an option.

My goal for this week is to focus on the psychology.  The time I waste on the internet (as opposed to time that is genuinely useful) usually comes from something -- being stressed out and trying to escape or just release my tension through distraction, just initial resistance to starting an activity (putting kids to bed, going to bed) or plain old dopamine habit (hey let's see what crazy thing is on drudge report today).  Perhaps if I identify the motivation behind the seemingly counterproductive behavior, it will help me realize that it's not something I want in my life and it will be easier to resist. 

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2020, 09:16:45 AM »
The benefits of this challenge have been a bit subtle and have taken awhile to build (and as someone mentioned earlier, I don't magically have gobs of extra time). But I'm really seeing the benefits in my relationships lately.

The first year of my daughter's life was pretty exhausting. So when we got her to bed in the evening, my husband and I would just kind've zone out to the internet to decompress (sitting next to each other on the couch!). But now we're taking ~30 minutes right after the toddler goes down to catch up before he does homework and I do my side hustle then various projects or surfing. It's made all the difference.

We also moved to a new city for grad school. Then I had my daughter right after graduating. So I hadn't put a lot of effort into getting to know people the three years we've been here. And it's been so lonely. But part of reducing my reliance on the internet has been about making an effort to get out there and build friendships, and it's slowly but surely paying off. I now have three or so social engagements every week on top of in-person meetings with my facebook groups twice a week. I doubt I would be as engaged during the week with people in real life if I was spending as much time on the internet as before this challenge. It's also taken a ton of initiative on my part, where before I approached it quite passively.

On a separate note, until this point, my purpose in this challenge has been to separate out surfing from task-based use of the internet. But I know some of you look at both productive and non-productive use as a whole. I think I'm ready for that next step. So this week I'd like to portion out my task-based use a bit better and establish a few parameters.

@blinx7  I'm right there with you on the whole research issue. The time slot solution has been the only thing that's been helpful so far since I can get lost researching a subject only to find myself back at the original question hours upon hours later (though reading nonfiction in the evening has been a great outlet, like @Tass mentioned, even if hasn't been about following my nose on the particular questions that pop into my mind). I'm interested to see what tricks you find helpful!

This is great!  I've started to see that I am doing more social engagements now, because I resisted playing on the internet and instead used the time to set up plans for the future. Then when I go out there's no internet then either.  So it's been win-win. 

Great job making sure to maintain a social life with little kids.  I think a lot of people just give up and that's not good for the long run.  What facebook groups are in you in?

The trick I am trying to use for internet research is I keep notes in my "Google Keep" app on my phone and if I have an urge to research something, I write it down there.  (I keep a separate to-do-list, but I don't keep random internet urges on there, because the Google Keep list is really more like brainstorming potentially useful things.)

Then later, at the appropriate time (work done, kids in bed, not too late) I can crack open the Google Keep and if I really am inspired to research something, I can do it.  And if in hindsight I realize I don't care and it was just an excuse to play on the internet, I just delete it. 

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2020, 08:09:26 PM »
1 hour, 19 minutes of surf-time. Over my 10 minute wrap-up mark, but better than the last few times. Tuesday I'll try to focus on the fact that I can surf another hour Wednesday. And also on getting to read right after.

On to a project, then reading.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2020, 07:47:18 PM »
I really want to surf tonight, but it's not time. I surfed Friday instead of studying Spanish because my vocab list was in the sleeping toddler's room. And today I could talk myself into surfing again because I have 2 more surf days this week (and I'm tired and unmotivated). But I need to get my vocab going early in the week so I have enough reviewing time that it stays in my head before the next weekly vocab list is due.

I'm also starting to get more tired with the pregnancy. The other day I skipped my side hustle because I didn't feel like doing it, and did projects instead. It'd be easy to start talking myself into doing the easy things first and then blowing off the things that require more effort, as they stack up later in the week or day. But I don't want to lose ground on my gauntlet challenges. So I'll focus on keeping my structure in place no matter how I feel and reinforce the fact that once I get going on a task, I'm good. It's usually just hard the first 2 minutes as I fire things up.

So on to my Spanish vocab.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »
I did my vocab the other night after checking in and can confirm that it required little effort after I got started. I'd like to reinforce the fact that getting over the motivation/procrastination hump only takes a minute or two.  And it was such a great feeling to get first-things done first.

I want to research a career decision I've been mulling over the past week. I don't know if it's a personality thing, but I'll often have an idea for something I'd like to pursue, then I work my way backwards spelling things out in the most minute detail. After I've done my analysis, I can see more clearly if the original idea is something I truly want to accomplish, given the effort involved (strangely, I make my final decisions based more on gut-feeling, though hopefully my gut is more well-informed after this process). For that reason, once an idea strikes, it's hard for me to just let it be until I've broken it down, step-by-step. And I usually put everything else in my life aside until the detailing is complete. But I'm trying to change that here and channel the analysis into a time where it doesn't affect other areas of my life.

Next right thing: paperwork and exercise. I'm surfing tonight and can look up a few details then. There's also tomorrow if I get my stuff done before the toddler wakes from her nap. Overall, I will likely just need to change how I do my analyses. Maybe instead of marathon sessions, I'll just have to chip away at the details bit by bit so it doesn't negatively affect the rest of my life. Most of my ideas are long-term ones anyway and time is on my side.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2020, 08:33:03 PM »
1 hour, 20 minutes for my surf time tonight. I usually just scroll. But lately I've been posting comments (in my different forums) which takes longer to wrap up. Maybe if I'm going to comment, I'll type out a few thoughts on a sticky to post during the next session if needed. That way my surf time is more focused on scrolling and I feel less time pressure. We'll see how that works tomorrow.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2020, 08:33:37 PM »
1 hour, 15 minutes surf time tonight.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2020, 12:24:38 PM »
I updated a few challenges after finishing my paperwork... but I still have yet to exercise, and I prefer to save updates until that's done.

I feel a bit tired from going to bed late last night and also feel the need to get focused and organized. Lately my mind has been full of ideas and random details that I haven't had time to process. If I were to take time to process things, it feels like some other important area of my life would get backed up. It's probably best to just chip away at extra stuff like this as time allows. First things first always pays off and I'll just have to trust that I'll find extra time to empty my brain that's not at the expense of everything else.

So on to exercise.