Author Topic: Only necessary clothes shopping 2018  (Read 30168 times)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
Only necessary clothes shopping 2018
« on: January 01, 2018, 07:44:05 AM »
This is a thread for people who want to basically no clothes shopping in 2018, but with a small number of exeptions allowed (as opposed to HappierAtHome's thread, which is for people who want to do no clothes shopping with absolutely no exceptions.

My goals are:
- No clothes shopping for me, with the sole exception of new bras after I wean my baby
- No new clothes for the kids; thrifted clothes are okay as necessary

Wanttobehome

• Stubble
Re: Only necessary clothes shopping 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:39:52 AM »
I'm planning no clothes shopping for 2018, but know some of my items will need replacing. Therefore only buying replacements  that are essential and have been worn out.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 01:54:20 PM »
In !

jr1029

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:12:25 PM »
In, with a few specific exceptions:

- Some of my bras/undies desperately need replacing, and I will do so. I may end up needing some socks too - some of mine are very threadbare.  Goal here is to keep same number but have things that aren't worn to bits.
- I am in the process of trying to find some boots for a trip next summer, and I will buy those, once I make up my mind!
- It's freezing here and I lost one of my gloves. Unless I find it, I'll need a new pair if I want to keep my fingertips.
- I may get a "souvenir" shirt from an event I'm going to this spring
- If I miraculously lose the 15lbs I always dream of, I'll need new pants (Hah). ;)
- If my swimsuit gets see-thru I will buy another. Can't scandalize the kiddies at the pool! I'll be happy if I swim enough to make this actually happen.
- Likewise, I'll need new triathlon shorts and possibly top for events this summer. Not good to be baring-all in those race photos.

SanDiegoAli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 11:14:13 AM »
Yep - I'm down for this.

My exceptions will be socks / tights / undergarments as NEEDED.

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 03:09:58 PM »
I finished a year of not buying any clothing and then replaced most of what I wanted to over the past few weeks. I don't plan on doing another complete no spend year so this challenge is more my speed!

My goals are:
  • Replace any regularly worn items as needed, if they can't be repaired.
  • For non-replacements, add to a wish list and wait 30 days before purchasing. Only purchase items I absolutely love and will wear often, that fit within my capsule wardrobe. Aim to focus on items manufactured in Canada ethically and sustainably.

I don't have anything on my list at the moment, but I may need shoes/boots at some point during the year.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »
Fantastic, this is a better fit for me than the "no exceptions" one. I turn 40 this year and really want to try and get my health managed, so I'm planning to work hard with diet and exercise to fit into my "skinny" clothes this year. Here are my necessary exceptions:

Jeans if I go under 2 pairs that fit (one is getting a thin spot in a critical area and I wear jeans every day)
Swimsuits (2 max),bras (3 max), underwear if I lose enough weight that the current ones truly do not fit
one shirt (and no more than one scarf) when we go to Paris in April; my MIL and I plan to each get a shirt at Euro Disney
Replacement for current, regular items, if they can't be repaired (thanks recklesslysober for the wording there)
one pair of nice black dressy sandals towards the end of the year IF I've lost enough weight to fit into my fancy black dress for company party

Hopefully that isn't too many exceptions to be true to the spirit of things!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »
I'm in. The kids are an exception, in that I will buy things to replace what they grow out of (jeans, shoes, etc). I know they will need at least another pair of new shoes each, and also likely one new pair of soccer cleats. I think I have hand me downs that will fit my older child.

For myself, I'm okay with making smart replacements, but the biggest issue is my weight. If I can drop 10 pounds, I'll have a significant amount of things to wear. I don't want to keep buying because my clothes are too tight! Pretty sure that's not the solution. :-)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »
My only 2017 purchase was socks and whitey tighty underwear.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 03:33:09 AM »
I'm down for this too.  Unfortunately, I have a bit of a weakness for a clothing "bargain".  I probably won't have to buy any clothes for my kids in 2018 but this depends on how much the older one grows this year.  Younger one wears tons and tons of handmedowns.

I need to concentrate on 'shopping my closet' as I have tons of clothes many of which need to be worn.  I also need to get some things tailored and/or fixed which is a lot cheaper than buying new things.

Only possible exception might be a new wool coat as my old one has holes in it.  I have a lined raincoat and a puffa coat that I can wear instead of the wool coat though.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:37:08 AM by Hula Hoop »

Wanttobehome

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 02:22:25 PM »
Received boots, top, scarf and gloves for Christmas, which were items I was planning on replacing
If there is anything else I require in the near future will ask for it as a birthday present or will ask for vouchers so I can replace underwear before my hols.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »
I'm in for this. I'm not able to do the no clothes at all challenge, but I will try to keep it minimal and find what I need at thrift or consignment shops. I would also like to get rid of more clothing items than I buy. Some background: in December 2016 I did a huge purge,got rid of anything that was worn out or didn't fit well, and turned the hangers around for everything I kept. Then I got pregnant in February so decided to wait one more year to get rid of the remaining clothes. I still have about 10 lbs of pregnancy weight to lose and then I will try everything on and decide what to keep.

In 2017 all I bought for myself were socks, underwear, 1 pair of sandals, and some larger scrubs for work. I also bought some used clothing for my toddler and the new baby. Both are boys but the seasons are opposite so I will have to buy a few things. The scrubs were because I had purged the ones from my first pregnancy.  I am on the fence about a third child so I won't get rid of any maternity or baby clothes yet.

I will need to buy a nice dress and shoes for my brother's wedding this spring, but I will try to find these items in a thrift or consignment shop (I gave away all of my dress shoes because my feet grew after DS 1). I would also like some new yoga pants because all of my old ones are starting to look really worn out. For my kids I would like to set a goal of buying everything second hand or on mega-cheap clearance. I already bought my toddler a coat for next winter on clearance at Costco.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 10:02:07 AM »
I’m going to buy no clothes except for a bridesmaid dress :)

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
Hi!  I started out in the "Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018" but I will need one item: a pair of pantyhose for a wedding I'm going to this year.  I've failed miserably at this challenge before so I'm really going try this year.  I have way to much clothes and don't need any more!  I just unsubscribed to a few retailers I've been getting emails from.  I hope that helps.  I also closed out my Amazon window which has been perpetually open.  I don't need to mindlessly browse anywhere but here!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 09:04:48 PM »
I'm in! This is basically what I did last year. Replacements are still allowed but not mandatory. And some clothes may sneak into the dating category

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 07:19:43 AM »
I'm late to the thread but I am in! I bought a pair of gloves this month but they were necessary as I am beginning to feel arthritis in one hand and I had no gloves capable of colder then -10 and it's been around -30 for a week.

I am losing weight but thanks to a generous friend I have lots of clothing in smaller sizes. Just this week I now fit into THREE pairs of jeans that cost me $0. Unless I lose a crazy amount of weight I should be ok with gradually moving down in sizes and taking items in. I also own a few summer dresses that I am hoping if they become to big, I can cut them down to use as summer skirts. The plan is ideally to not have to replace a large part of my wardrobe until next January.

I also received FIFTEEN pairs of new shoes from my aunt that volunteers at a thrift store. She gave them to me in December (all from one estate donation) so I won't have to buy shoes for a decade. These are all high end, extremely supportive, quality shoes and of the 15 pairs, 13 pairs I kept, I passed 2 pairs on to a friend.

I feel like I am really well setup for a year of no clothing shopping (no shopping at all in fact) but with the potential weight loss I don't want to commit to no shopping at all. I'm not sure what's going to happen in that endeavour. Honestly, it's just so exciting to be able to fit into so many pieces I have stored in the back of my closet for so long. It feels like I already get to shop just by opening the closet doors.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »
I've bought a patch for my favorite jeans. The hole is in an area not visible to others, so I'm hoping to extend the life of the jeans quite a bit via the patch. I think it was $4 on Amazon, and came with a few color options.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 08:37:46 PM »
I almost caved. Then I thought of the shame of admitting to you all that I had caved and I backed away slowly and did not buy an unnecessary coat!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 09:16:26 PM »
I'm in! But only committing for 6mos.

I currently have no justifiable or anticipated needs, and don't anticipate losing enough weight I'll need a new wardrobe in that time.

If that does happen, I can replace pants.
And I won't look for these, but if I end up in a situation to buy light-neutral dress shoes and purse, I will (have a dress I like lots but that doesn't go with my black/silver accessories...:( )

Besides that I think I'm covered come hell, high water, weddings, interviews, even periods (I've been on the verge of caving to replace a pair of THINX, but I don't NEED to)

Thanks all! Good job lifejoy *high five*!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 10:43:25 PM »
Thanks for the high five, Galliver :)

(Yay for positive reinforcement!)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 10:01:25 AM »
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/15/opinion/sunday/shopping-consumerism.html

Seemed relevant!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 10:34:17 AM »
This is the perfect thread for me.  I need to avoid all unnecessary clothes shopping this year.  But I've about walked thru my work shoes and my down jacket is about done.  I don't have a lot of clothes so I tend to wear thru them. 

• I will allow necessary replacements.
  • Those replacements should come from socially conscious companies.
I find limiting purchases to local companies or companies with ethical practices helps me limit my spending and feel good about the little I do spend.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 03:14:34 PM »
Unfortunately i had to spent 60 Euro on a scout uniform for my older daughter today.  She got hand me downs for part of it but, unfortunately, uniforms are expensive.  I also had to throw out my wool coat as it was full of holes.  I want to get a new one in the post Christmas sales but might use the gift card I got from my boss for Christmas.

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »
I'm in.

My exceptions are:
  • My black sandals have all fallen apart. I'll probably get these when the weather gets warmer:
    https://www.zappos.com/p/dansko-season-black-full-grain/product/8808905/color/797
  • I've been wearing black maternity pants to work for the last 3 years (DS is 2.5yo), but the band part has been loosening up. I may buy new work pants if they become unwearable.
  • This is my Patagonia puffer's 9th winter; the seams have been repaired a couple of times, and the zipper's pull tab broke off, so I replaced it with a paper clip. I'm hoping to get a 10th winter out of it, but I might buy a puffer next season!
  • Leggings: I wear my current ones year-round, and they're starting to get thin in the crotch area.
  • Socks, underwear, as needed.

We don't have a hand-me-down source, so I do have to buy clothes for my growing toddler. Will try to get as much as I can from thrift stores, but it's been hard to find good used shoes and sleepers. The ones on ebay cost nearly as much as new. Will try to limit toddler clothes to $300. (Not a very mustachian limit, I know.)

There's nothing more sustainable than second-hand, but what else are people doing for sustainable sources of clothes?

I read this blog:
http://www.readingmytealeaves.com/category/wardrobe

But the sustainable clothes she recommends are $$$.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
I'm in.

My exceptions are:
  • My black sandals have all fallen apart. I'll probably get these when the weather gets warmer:
    https://www.zappos.com/p/dansko-season-black-full-grain/product/8808905/color/797
  • I've been wearing black maternity pants to work for the last 3 years (DS is 2.5yo), but the band part has been loosening up. I may buy new work pants if they become unwearable.
  • This is my Patagonia puffer's 9th winter; the seams have been repaired a couple of times, and the zipper's pull tab broke off, so I replaced it with a paper clip. I'm hoping to get a 10th winter out of it, but I might buy a puffer next season!
  • Leggings: I wear my current ones year-round, and they're starting to get thin in the crotch area.
  • Socks, underwear, as needed.

We don't have a hand-me-down source, so I do have to buy clothes for my growing toddler. Will try to get as much as I can from thrift stores, but it's been hard to find good used shoes and sleepers. The ones on ebay cost nearly as much as new. Will try to limit toddler clothes to $300. (Not a very mustachian limit, I know.)

There's nothing more sustainable than second-hand, but what else are people doing for sustainable sources of clothes?

I read this blog:
http://www.readingmytealeaves.com/category/wardrobe

But the sustainable clothes she recommends are $$$.

I host clothing swaps :)

Today I was feeling WEAK but resisted! Realizing that sleep-deprivation and stress wreak havoc with my willpower.

I bought the stylebook app ($5.49CAD) in hopes that I can channel my shopping energies into cataloguing what I already own. Should be interesting! I’ll report back on my findings.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 05:50:54 PM »
As I've been putting laundry away the last few times I've been culling. Things look really good! 1-2 more sweaters, 1-2 more dresses, 1-2 more sports bras and replacements as needed.

I love when my wardrobe is in a good spot!

Shoe needs looking ahead to the year, are rain boots and replacing my flats and casual shoes when I kill them.

But this should be a pretty affordable year!

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 06:51:04 PM »
I am in for this challenge! But honestly, it will be an incredible challenge for me. I work in fashion as the head of marketing, and there is a certain expectation to look and dress a certain way. Thankfully, I am given some of my brand's products for free to 'wear test' so I will be able to look like I'm keeping up, without actually spending the money.

I'm motivated since I was horrified to do my 2017 tally and realize I spent $2500 CAD on clothing. :| (In my defence, I'm new to MMM!)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 04:33:01 AM »
I am in for this challenge! But honestly, it will be an incredible challenge for me. I work in fashion as the head of marketing, and there is a certain expectation to look and dress a certain way. Thankfully, I am given some of my brand's products for free to 'wear test' so I will be able to look like I'm keeping up, without actually spending the money.

I'm motivated since I was horrified to do my 2017 tally and realize I spent $2500 CAD on clothing. :| (In my defence, I'm new to MMM!)

You’ve got a great plan. I believe in you!!

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 09:52:25 AM »
I've made it two weeks! Yay!  I got an email that my favorite thrift store is having a 50% off sale this weekend.  Unsubscribed.  The thrift store is my weakness.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 12:54:41 PM »

You’ve got a great plan. I believe in you!!

Thank you. ;)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2018, 01:51:14 PM »
I've made it two weeks! Yay!  I got an email that my favorite thrift store is having a 50% off sale this weekend.  Unsubscribed.  The thrift store is my weakness.

Good move!

Thrift clothes will be around in 2019.

Wanttobehome

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 05:43:56 AM »
Two weeks in no problems
Not been near a shop , not even looked.
Although I have a smallish wardrobe I am looking to donate what I don't wear

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 10:49:55 PM »
I will admit that before I joined this challenge I bought a pair of Blundstone's... but I'd been wanting them for 2+ years, and with my lifestyle and line of work they are SO PRACTICAL. I also got given three pairs of jeans through work.

However, I realllyyy want a cropped sweatshirt. And saw a very cute one. BUT I am not going to buy it, because sweatshirt season is almost over. (?!)

I think I will also schedule a clothing swap. That seems like a good idea.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 02:58:10 AM »
I will admit that before I joined this challenge I bought a pair of Blundstone's... but I'd been wanting them for 2+ years, and with my lifestyle and line of work they are SO PRACTICAL. I also got given three pairs of jeans through work.

However, I realllyyy want a cropped sweatshirt. And saw a very cute one. BUT I am not going to buy it, because sweatshirt season is almost over. (?!)

I think I will also schedule a clothing swap. That seems like a good idea.

Great idea!

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 04:58:47 AM »

Good move!

Thanks lifejoy!  I have to keep reminding myself that there's no urgency to buy anything; there will alway be another good deal coming along. 

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 05:26:48 AM »
I'm in. My jeans are wearing thin, and for them to be work-appropriate, I'll need to replace those. Otherwise, I don't see any need for new clothes this year.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 11:34:25 AM »
A few weeks in, and focused on the fitness/eating side. . . so I can actually wear all of the clothes I already own! That should definitely help me avoid clothing shopping.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 10:25:02 PM »

Good move!

Thanks lifejoy!  I have to keep reminding myself that there's no urgency to buy anything; there will alway be another good deal coming along.

So true. In part due to this thread, I unfollowed all the fashion oriented buy & sell groups I'm in on Facebook. I justify the expenses since they are DEAALLSSS but spending nothing is a better deal. ;)

(I got given another pair of jeans at work today to 'wear test' so I've really got a fortunate pressure valve here).

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 09:45:15 PM »
Going on about 2 weeks of being sick.  Flu and now bronchitis.  Good thing is you can't spend if you don't go shopping.  Well I guess you can but I hate online clothes shopping.

We have a big goal this year and the money I would have spent on clothes has a clear purpose.  Good to stay motivated.  Goal - trip for DH's 40th to Germany.  $40 not spent on clothes = entrance to a castle.  Got to visualize what I really want and say not to the clothes.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2018, 12:24:27 PM »
Going on about 2 weeks of being sick.  Flu and now bronchitis.  Good thing is you can't spend if you don't go shopping.  Well I guess you can but I hate online clothes shopping.

We have a big goal this year and the money I would have spent on clothes has a clear purpose.  Good to stay motivated.  Goal - trip for DH's 40th to Germany.  $40 not spent on clothes = entrance to a castle.  Got to visualize what I really want and say not to the clothes.

That’s a smart way to look at it!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2018, 02:07:20 PM »
A few weeks in, and focused on the fitness/eating side. . . so I can actually wear all of the clothes I already own! That should definitely help me avoid clothing shopping.

Have spent nothing on clothes so far. I'm still working on the fitness side (fitting into my clothes) + actually selling/donating things I don't wear. Every time I see how much I have in my closet, I'm reminded of why I don't need to buy anything. Clothes are feeling a smidge looser. :-) Patched jeans are back in rotation!

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2018, 06:55:12 AM »
I was going to wait until the 31st to say that I've made it through a month but I can't wait that long!  So I'll say now, I've made it four weeks!  This may be a record for me as I don't think I made it through January last time I tried.

How's everyone else doing?  Not letting the exceptions get out of control, are we?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2018, 07:11:13 AM »
Have spent nothing for myself. For other family members:
- We did get my son a pair of pants (riding his bike to school every day), but he asked for them for a birthday gift. So, will come out of our gift budget instead.
-My husband spent $11.99 on hemming of his jeans he got as a Christmas gift

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2018, 07:26:59 AM »
Nothing for myself so far. I bought 2 pairs of shoes for my son because they were on clearance. These are Stride Right, normally $30, marked down to $7. He is in size 8 right now so I got a 9 and a 10, so they should last the year, and then he can pass them on to his brother.
I am still working on weight loss but I did pack up and put away all of my maternity clothes, and my DH threw out some holey shirts.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2018, 08:51:15 AM »
I’m feeling weak but staying strong! Gah. Must go and count all the coats I own. I want a new one purely for newness and fashion.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2018, 01:18:29 PM »
Confession: I sort of failed. My husband bought me a new jacket, without asking me first, and I decided to keep it, even though it's not a need. Partly to not hurt his feelings, and partly because it was a nice jacket for a good price. I'm still feeling a little guilty though.

On the "win" side: my baby is outgrowing her current size, so I wanted to get her a few new (thrifted) things in the next size. But I forced myself to unpack and sort all the hand-me-downs from her sister first, and it turns out we have a TON of clothes in that size. So I don't think I'll need to buy any new kids clothes until at least summer.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2018, 06:26:14 PM »
Just some socks for me, so feeling good!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2018, 06:48:44 PM »
Why would one buy unnecessary clothes?

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2018, 05:28:17 PM »
Why would one buy unnecessary clothes?

Why would anyone buy unnecessary anything?

"I like it", "I think I'll use it", "It'll make me feel good," "It'll replace [old one] when it wears out eventually" (but you actually buy 3 before the old one dies) Etc.

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2018, 05:40:09 PM »
I bought a sweater earlier in the month - to replace one that had several holes in it that I now wear exclusively at home. Since then I've worn it almost every day. I was worried that I'd fall back into old habits after replacing a few things in December following my year of not buying any clothing. Not the case! I can't think of any clothing that I would buy right now.