Author Topic: Only necessary clothes shopping 2018  (Read 30156 times)

Rosielicious

• Stubble
Re: Only necessary clothes shopping 2018
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2018, 05:55:33 AM »
Can I join in for the last part of the year? I haven't been on the forums long and I've only just found this thread.

I want to challenge myself to not buy any clothes/shoes unless I need to replace something that has worn out and I can no longer patch it/stick it back together.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2018, 11:40:13 PM »
Can I join in for the last part of the year? I haven't been on the forums long and I've only just found this thread.

I want to challenge myself to not buy any clothes/shoes unless I need to replace something that has worn out and I can no longer patch it/stick it back together.

Welcome! Anytime is a good time to start being thoughtful and cautious about clothes shopping!

Rosielicious

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2018, 04:25:12 AM »
Awesome.

I am expecting to have to replace a pair of jeans at some point. I have 3 pairs of black jeans that I wear to work and I've had to patch 2 of them already this year. We'll see how long the repairs last! They all wear through on the inner thigh eventually. Whilst I can continue to wear them for a while, once they're mostly patch I won't be able to wear them for work.

I need to have a pair of walking trainers repaired, turns out I lift my big toes up when I walk and have worn holes in the top of them both after only a few months. It's not noticeable if I only wear black socks, but they will need fixing. And that should be it for shoes.

And I really want a pair of joggers to hang around the house in so I can wear my jeans less. These will be from a charity/thrift shop.

One of my bad habits is buying wool to make scarves and hats. This autumn/winter I intend to only make things from wool I already have in my stash. No buying new wool! Maybe this way I can reduce my craft stash as well! Might put wool on my Xmas list...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2018, 12:33:07 PM »
The previous couple of days we were on a city trip to Gdansk in Poland. DH felt like we had to go shopping. So we visited a big shopping center. I thought hard about what I could possibly need and landed on a pair of jeans. I even looked at some jeans in two shops. The all had the tag "skinny" on them, which is not an adequate description of my figure. Therefore I was spared the temptation of a purchase. Ended up buying nothing at all. We just spent the time looking at stuff in the city, as well as drinking craft beers.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:41:03 AM by Linda_Norway »

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2018, 05:35:17 PM »
I fell off the wagon for this challenge. Got pregnant, bought pregnancy clothes. Lost baby, bought new clothes in grief and frustrating with my changed body. Now life is settling a bit more, so I'll join for the last few months of the year.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2018, 01:42:21 AM »
I fell off the wagon for this challenge. Got pregnant, bought pregnancy clothes. Lost baby, bought new clothes in grief and frustrating with my changed body. Now life is settling a bit more, so I'll join for the last few months of the year.

Oh dear, I'm sorry for you.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2018, 06:24:08 AM »
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »
@Off the Wheel : so sorry for your loss. Hope you are well.

I think I've failed at this challenge. I tried, but the problem is, if I don't buy any clothes for 6-12 months, I start to feel frumpy. I know this is exactly how the materialist-capitalist system wants me to feel. I'm a consumer sucka, but there it is.

I try to avoid anything too trendy, and I buy clothes and shoes in a limited color palette (black, white, gray, blue), but I still feel the need to refresh my wardrobe with 2-4 bottoms, 4-6 tops, and perhaps 1-4 pairs of shoes each year. I find that maybe only 50-70% of what I buy ends up in regular rotation: some things that initially look good end up being not quite as forgiving as I thought, or too tight and uncomfortable around my neck, or too sheer, etc. In my post-pregnancy middle age, the range of clothes I can confidently wear is much narrower than when I was younger. Some of what I buy is to replace what's become misshapen, worn out, or pilled, but it's definitely more than what's strictly necessary.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2018, 07:39:49 PM »
@Off the Wheel, My condolences. It is a very difficult thing to go through; I hope you can be kind to yourself, whatever that means to you.

I think I've failed at this challenge. I tried, but the problem is, if I don't buy any clothes for 6-12 months, I start to feel frumpy. I know this is exactly how the materialist-capitalist system wants me to feel. I'm a consumer sucka, but there it is.

I try to avoid anything too trendy, and I buy clothes and shoes in a limited color palette (black, white, gray, blue), but I still feel the need to refresh my wardrobe with 2-4 bottoms, 4-6 tops, and perhaps 1-4 pairs of shoes each year. I find that maybe only 50-70% of what I buy ends up in regular rotation: some things that initially look good end up being not quite as forgiving as I thought, or too tight and uncomfortable around my neck, or too sheer, etc. In my post-pregnancy middle age, the range of clothes I can confidently wear is much narrower than when I was younger. Some of what I buy is to replace what's become misshapen, worn out, or pilled, but it's definitely more than what's strictly necessary.

I think I've had similar feelings about my wardrobe and shopping habits. I'm pretty sure I haven't fully resolved it, but there are a few things I think have helped...
-keeping track of the types of things I buy and wear a lot, vs the types of things that I like but don't end up getting a lot of use. For me this tends to be most related to fabric (I tend toward soft), too-tight or too-short cut, or dressier than my usual style. I've also discovered I really can't get away with non-petite sizing on many tops (arm holes show bra or button downs ride up and sit funny). I've tried to stop buying things that I don't *love* when trying them on, the things I just "think I can pull off".
-pushing myself to wear what I have, both pushing my style from comfort zone to aspirational zone, and not "saving" my nicer/favorite clothes until they don't fit, are out of style, etc.
-gentler care regime (fewer washes, hang drying some things)
-paying more attention to materials and how they age. I've noticed my cotton sweaters tend to fade & stretch and acrylic ones get scratchy. When I replaced my cardigans I found some light merino wool ones...I like how the knit and fibers have held up over last winter, but they did seem to develop small holes easily so I might try a different brand once they're beyond repair.

I have also made peace with the fact that certain high-wear items will just wear quickly. I seem to burn through my dark-wash skinny jeans and flat everyday sneakers...because I wear them several times a week!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2018, 02:59:12 AM »
@Off the Wheel, My condolences. It is a very difficult thing to go through; I hope you can be kind to yourself, whatever that means to you.

I think I've had similar feelings about my wardrobe and shopping habits. I'm pretty sure I haven't fully resolved it, but there are a few things I think have helped...
-keeping track of the types of things I buy and wear a lot, vs the types of things that I like but don't end up getting a lot of use. For me this tends to be most related to fabric (I tend toward soft), too-tight or too-short cut, or dressier than my usual style. I've also discovered I really can't get away with non-petite sizing on many tops (arm holes show bra or button downs ride up and sit funny). I've tried to stop buying things that I don't *love* when trying them on, the things I just "think I can pull off".
-pushing myself to wear what I have, both pushing my style from comfort zone to aspirational zone, and not "saving" my nicer/favorite clothes until they don't fit, are out of style, etc.
-gentler care regime (fewer washes, hang drying some things)
-paying more attention to materials and how they age. I've noticed my cotton sweaters tend to fade & stretch and acrylic ones get scratchy. When I replaced my cardigans I found some light merino wool ones...I like how the knit and fibers have held up over last winter, but they did seem to develop small holes easily so I might try a different brand once they're beyond repair.

I have also made peace with the fact that certain high-wear items will just wear quickly. I seem to burn through my dark-wash skinny jeans and flat everyday sneakers...because I wear them several times a week!

I also wear the same few clothes all the time. I think I rotate between 7-8 shirts and 3 trousers for work. Sometimes with a cardigan. Some time ago I went through my closet and got rid of everything I don't wear regularly. Now I have tiny piles of clothes, very easy to find stuff. By the way, I find that good quality fleece lasts long for a cardigan. My eldest one is 20 years old and I have worn it often. If they wear through the sleeves, you can always patch them. ;-) I haven't needed to do that yet.

At the moment I buy new things when I need it. If a bra is getting saggy, I will look for a new one on sale. I have in general just lost interest in clothes and couldn't really be bothered to go shopping for fancy (office) clothes. Privately I usually only wear outdoors clothes. And they wear through sometimes, so that we can buy or make other stuff. Buying is done on sale of course. At work I now wear up what I had before. I hardly visit shopping centers any more. If you don't see nice clothes, it is easier to oppress the thought of buying them.

DH has discovered sewing as a hobby, so he has been making me some clothes (his idea), a blazer, trousers and outdoor pants. He will also make me a new goretex raincoat as my old one is showing signs of delamination (which will leak).

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
I must confess to the terribly non-mustachian purchase of matching pajamas for the whole family for a Polar Express train ride we're doing. But hopefully it will be a great memory for my older daughter (the younger one isn't old enough to remember it).

Otherwise, I've been doing okay - I got a couple fall/winter things for the kids, but stayed within my parameters of buying them used (other than some socks and undies that were bought new). And I bought myself a pair of joggers at Costco for $10, but it was after realizing that my only pair of sweats that fit properly now have a hole in them.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »
Sigh...I need support... I got/signed a job offer! My first one out of school, basically. Based on my interview experience, the office is business casual.

I. Have. Plenty. To. Wear. 3-4 pairs slacks*, 3ish skirts, shoes (2-3x ok flats, oxfords, heels, ankle boots), at least 5 tops, plus sweaters/cardis. Even have 2 nice coats/jackets, though in SoCal I won't need them much. (*Pants detail: 2 pairs are older/pilling at crotch but still 100% serviceable/appropriate, 1 pair is kinda thick material but prob ok in office and as it gets cooler, and 1 pair is suit pants I probably won't use on their own.)

I reeeeeally want a pair of cute loafers, which seem "in" now, i.e. available/good selection. :( I think I'd like how they go further up the foot than ballet flats. But they will probably be *on sale* in January and I can pick some up *after* a few paychecks and after I wear out my flats. I can also put off getting new slacks/dress pants until the pilling ones deteriorate a bit more with daily wear. There's not really a need or practical purpose for any closet updates. Just waaaaant. /end whining

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »
Sigh...I need support... I got/signed a job offer! My first one out of school, basically. Based on my interview experience, the office is business casual.

I. Have. Plenty. To. Wear. 3-4 pairs slacks*, 3ish skirts, shoes (2-3x ok flats, oxfords, heels, ankle boots), at least 5 tops, plus sweaters/cardis. Even have 2 nice coats/jackets, though in SoCal I won't need them much. (*Pants detail: 2 pairs are older/pilling at crotch but still 100% serviceable/appropriate, 1 pair is kinda thick material but prob ok in office and as it gets cooler, and 1 pair is suit pants I probably won't use on their own.)

I reeeeeally want a pair of cute loafers, which seem "in" now, i.e. available/good selection. :( I think I'd like how they go further up the foot than ballet flats. But they will probably be *on sale* in January and I can pick some up *after* a few paychecks and after I wear out my flats. I can also put off getting new slacks/dress pants until the pilling ones deteriorate a bit more with daily wear. There's not really a need or practical purpose for any closet updates. Just waaaaant. /end whining

Congrats on the new job!  That's awesome!

If you need a little more of a reason to stay strong until the end of the year - it'll be good to wait and get an even better sense of your work environment before you buy any additional work clothes.  That way you can better tailor your future purchases to fit in with what others wear and what you might need for certain occasions (meetings with higher-ups, etc.).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »

If you need a little more of a reason to stay strong until the end of the year - it'll be good to wait and get an even better sense of your work environment before you buy any additional work clothes.  That way you can better tailor your future purchases to fit in with what others wear and what you might need for certain occasions (meetings with higher-ups, etc.).

+1
As a person getting her first paycheck, you are very vulnerable for lifestyle inflation. At least, wait for the periods with sales. There are several per year and only buy good bargains. And don't go bananas. You have enough clothes, don't buy a pile of new stuff. Just a few things that fit with the rest of what you have.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2018, 04:52:26 PM »

+1
As a person getting her first paycheck, you are very vulnerable for lifestyle inflation. At least, wait for the periods with sales. There are several per year and only buy good bargains. And don't go bananas. You have enough clothes, don't buy a pile of new stuff. Just a few things that fit with the rest of what you have.

I should probably make more clear that it's not really "my first paycheck," as my PhD has been paying me for years :) The new job is a very nice pay bump from that and there will be lifestyle inflation in areas with good value. E.g. we're upgrading to a 2BR apartment so bf can have a separate office space for working from home full time. We're going to pursue a few hobbies (rock climbing) and get a cat. Most of the pay bump will go to savings, though...for retirement, for down payment.

As far as clothes, I definitely need to keep up a professional appearance for this job since I was hired to provide expertise and need to be taken seriously, esp in a male-dominated field. To me that means good fit and in good repair as well as the right styles of clothing (fortunately, the style isn't fancy, more classic/understated). What I have will work for now, but I'm not very happy with fit or repair on my pants so those will need updated sooner rather than later. Just not yet. :) I think I'm going to aim for a capsule wardrobe type of approach to work clothes, and mostly replace things as they wear out. Or don't fit right.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2018, 08:02:56 PM »
To help stick to the challenge, I finally got around today to fixing a bra.  The underwire was poking out, so I sewed a little fabric over that area and stitched it a lot.  Now to see if it holds - wish me luck!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2018, 01:05:28 AM »
To help stick to the challenge, I finally got around today to fixing a bra.  The underwire was poking out, so I sewed a little fabric over that area and stitched it a lot.  Now to see if it holds - wish me luck!

Good luck. I have done that as well, or maybe my DH did it and that bra works fine now.

My problem with my current favorite bra is that it has gotten sloppy after a number of years with intensive wearing. I think it is more than 4 years old. I bought 2 new bras earlier this year, but I still wear that old one most often, because it is the most comfortable one.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »
My collection of shoes is now at seven. I bought two pairs yesterday because I should not have been walking around in torn shoes.

Currently I have
Sneakers
Casual TOMs (not the original but the ones with actual soles as the original ones are the worst shoes ever)
Dressy flats
Pair of low heels (I wear these daily to work)
Out door slippers
Indoor slippers
Shower slippers

Yes- I have a slipper problem but it's not negotiable.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #168 on: November 07, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
I think I may have to buy new socks. And I just bought socks earlier this year!  I did not realize that my getting into a much more religious habit of working out would result in so much sock consumerism. I realize I was a lazy bastard most of my first few decades, but I swear my socks last at least 3-5 years before and I did *not* expect that to go down to 3-5 months.  I might have to explore a different brand.  I'd purchased a few packages of the lowest cut Asics socks and they are just threadbare after a few months.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2018, 07:09:03 AM »
How do you treat kids' clothes - do you count them as part of this challenge?

I took my older pre-teen daughter to H&M on the weekend to look for some inexpensive shoes.  She now wears an adult women's size and is also very tall for her age so the hand-me-downs have completely dried up.  We ended up buying 2 pairs of jeans, 4 shirts and some socks for her and no shoes.  She really needed all these clothes as her old clothes are getting too small and/or worn out.  She wears jeans plus a t-shirt pretty much every day.  I also remember being that age and I remember that being able  to choose my own clothes was important as a pre-teen so I let her choose what she wanted.  Of course H and M is fast fashion and the clothes aren't wonderful quality but she's really happy with them and they should last long enough as she's growing so fast.

For shoes - her feet are growing really fast so I don't want to buy anything expensive.  Any suggestions?  She has a cheapo pair of sneakers that cost around Euro 15 but I want to get her some more robust shoes for winter.  Maybe online is the way to go. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2018, 01:21:07 AM »
For shoes - her feet are growing really fast so I don't want to buy anything expensive.  Any suggestions?  She has a cheapo pair of sneakers that cost around Euro 15 but I want to get her some more robust shoes for winter.  Maybe online is the way to go.

Shoes need to be tried on. If you order online, just make sure you can return for free. I once bought 3 pairs of sandals online, tried them at home at sent 2 pairs back. In general I think shoes are best buying in a physical shop. Just wait for the sale. I guess winter shoes are now at their most expensive. Maybe January will have a sale?

Here in Norway sports shops sometimes have good insulated winter shoes.
Your daughter might also fit into shoes meant for young boys. Children's shoes are often cheaper than adult shoes. This is often the case for specialty shoes, like cross country skiing shoes. I have several times bought a children's model.
And if you can find a flea market, this could also be an option for her winter shoes.

On the other hand, if you think her feet have grown enough and she will have the same size for the next few years, why not invest in a pair of good winter shoes.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2018, 05:45:28 AM »

Here in Norway sports shops sometimes have good insulated winter shoes.
Your daughter might also fit into shoes meant for young boys. Children's shoes are often cheaper than adult shoes. This is often the case for specialty shoes, like cross country skiing shoes. I have several times bought a children's model.
And if you can find a flea market, this could also be an option for her winter shoes.

She's ten and wears a women's European size 39/40 (US size 8-9)!  She also has very narrow feet (just like me) so men's shoes don't work.  I doubt that her feet are done growing as I wear 41 (10) and my two closest female relatives wear 42.5 shoes (11.5).  I'll keep looking around for some decent, not too expensive, winter shoes for her.  I miss the days when she could wear kids' shoes.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »
Bought 2 pairs of boots yesterday.  Definitely necessary, as I had been wearing Crocs to work (VERY casual environment, so it wasn't too bad, but got a little ridiculous the day it snowed).  Well, I guess I could have only bought 1 pair, but now I have both brown and black and shouldn't have to resort to wearing Crocs to work again for a few years ;)

On a related note, I had to brave Black Friday crowds to get them.  I felt very overstimulated.  It was really freeing knowing that I didn't need any clothes and wasn't going to buy any and therefore I didn't even have to look at any of them.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2018, 10:15:56 PM »
I bought a pair of pants that I'm not sure was strictly needed. I had no brown/tan dress pants though and I've gotten rid of more than one pair of work out pants this year so maybe? I was down to just black for dress pants although I have some white pants that are more casual, but still fancier than jeans.

In general I have more pants than I need still though so it feels a bit like cheating to say they were necessary.

Rosielicious

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2018, 03:27:53 PM »
Bought some boot socks this month, that's it! Feet were getting cold, so thicker socks were needed.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2018, 02:22:53 PM »
I am not buying clothes. Instead, I will repair a 25 year old fleece vest which is the piece of clothing I've worn most in the past 25 years, every time I were cold. The collars at the arms were worn through, as well as part of the collar on the underside. We have some collar material at home, so I cut off the old collars and will sew on new ones tomorrow.
Edit: I did such a bad job, cutting off the collar, that I had to throw the vest away. I have a couple of other fleece vests, so I don't need to replace it immediately.

DH has just sewn me a new bathing suit. My current one is a size to small, bought online in the wrong size. He wanted to practice sewing with stretchy fabric.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:05:50 AM by Linda_Norway »

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »
I bought a pair of pants that I'm not sure was strictly needed. I had no brown/tan dress pants though and I've gotten rid of more than one pair of work out pants this year so maybe? I was down to just black for dress pants although I have some white pants that are more casual, but still fancier than jeans.

In general I have more pants than I need still though so it feels a bit like cheating to say they were necessary.

Aaand I'm completely of the wagon. Didn't quite make it the whole year. Bought some boots that I've been wanting for a while, over a year. They were 40% off and it looks like the manufacturer won't be making that style any more. I got the last pair in my size at the local store.  I'm very ok with the spending money wise at this point as spending year to date is just over 3% of my current stash level, but I am still mindful about wanting to not create extra waste just because I have 💰 to consume things. These should be a bit it for life type boot that can have a new sole put on in the future while reusing the leather and other components.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2018, 06:41:48 AM »
2018 clothes quota has been -

1 pair wellies £11
replacement underpinnings £45
1 linen summer dress £40 (needed to be smart on a hot summer day)
1 thermal top $16

(Although there were two lightweight jumpers for £40 that I'm no longer sure whether they were 2017 or 2018 but which have been in heavy rotation this year.)

Not too bad.  Being intentional about purchasing has not only meant that I bought less it meant that I bought better, and also led me to be more aware of what I've already got and to take better care of it.  I'm in reasonable shape for next year, although I think the wellies may be developing a crack (fine for normal wear, of which they get a lot, not so good for mucking out the village pond next Saturday) and a pair of sweatpants is clearly on the way towards the rag basket and will be replaced when the dog refuses to be seen out with me in them.  The only other purchase on the horizon might be a new swimsuit next summer.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2018, 07:44:36 AM »
I bought very little clothes this year. I spent 76 dollars on clothes in 2018.

But very soon I'll have to buy the following items:
- new trousers. The old ones that I patched and worn through again.
- a pair of house shoes for at our cabin. The old ones have holes and are done.
- a woolen under shirt long sleeved. My old one is getting very thin and showing several holes.

I hope to buy these items on sale in January.

In 2018 my DH made me some clothes, because it is his hobby. In December I got a T-shirt, a nice fancy jacket for party wear, a bathing suit. He is currently making me a new goretex jacket.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2018, 10:56:12 AM »
For myself I bought only one summer dress, one pair of dressy sandals, and one pair of yoga pants. I also received two pairs of socks for Christmas. I got rid of three old pairs of yoga pants as well as some assorted worn out underwear and socks, so I am negative on clothes for the year.

I was given a huge bag of children's clothes from my colleague, so I had to buy very little. I also gave away a bunch of baby clothes and other items to my niece, so I am pretty much neutral on the number of children's clothes as well.

In the coming year I plan to be neutral or negative on clothes again. I own two pairs of skinny jeans and both have gotten holes in the knees recently, and I'm not sure whether to replace them or not.  Does anyone know if boot cut jeans are back in style or not? I have three older pairs of boot cut that I haven't worn in a long time but are still in good shape. I don't follow fashion but try not to look hopelessly dated either.

zee dot

• Stubble
« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2018, 06:28:13 PM »
@MrsWolfeRN  Here is an article on denim trends for 2019.
https://www.refinery29.com/amp/en-us/fall-denim-trends-2018
Looks like wide leg, cropped, and wide leg crops are what's in.
Some of those look ridiculous to me but to each their own!
There is one style that looks like boot cut with side splits on the outside of the flare.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #181 on: January 01, 2019, 08:00:44 AM »
There is one style that looks like boot cut with side splits on the outside of the flare.

Thank you. I agree some of them look ridiculous. I am not a fan of the pre ripped, split leg, or cropped styles. I do have a pair of straight legs in a dark denim that are a bit simpler version of one of the styles listed. I might get those out for when I want to look semi-dressed-up. I think I will leave the low rise boot cut pair put away for now.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2019, 05:21:50 PM »
I managed to only replace - and only bras, socks and a rain shell at that - this year, so it went well.  I think I'm going to have to do a lot more replacing in 2019, as so many of my shirts and sweaters are so old and have small holes or the dreaded deodorant pit stains (what I wouldn't do to prevent that from accruing on some of my favorite clothing!).  In fact, airline lost our luggage on the way back from visiting my fiance's family over Christmas and I almost hoped they didn't find one of them, since it pretty much just had my clothes in it and then I'd have an excuse (and $) to replace that stuff!  One bag was full of our mostly really nice camping gear, so I'm happy that was found, but the other bag came along with it, so I guess I'll only be replacing the most dire needs this next year!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2019, 12:58:56 AM »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2019, 01:02:36 AM »

Thank you. I agree some of them look ridiculous. I am not a fan of the pre ripped, split leg, or cropped styles. I do have a pair of straight legs in a dark denim that are a bit simpler version of one of the styles listed. I might get those out for when I want to look semi-dressed-up. I think I will leave the low rise boot cut pair put away for now.

My boss has one of those wide-legs black jeans. They look nice on her.

I just ordered a wide-legged trousers, in cloth, not jeans:
https://www.zalando.no/forever-new-andie-high-waist-pant-bukser-schwarz-fod21a00e-q11.html
I hope they will look acceptable/good on me...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!