Author Topic: Only necessary clothes shopping 2018  (Read 13995 times)

nessness

• Bristles
Re: Only necessary clothes shopping 2018
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2018, 09:34:44 AM »
I haven't bought anything else for myself, and haven't really been tempted.

I bought a couple fall things for my older daughter at thrift stores, but she has very few things from last year that still fit so that qualifies as a necessary purchase. Younger daughter has plenty of hand-me-downs.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2018, 12:18:56 AM »
On Sunday I was in a shop that sells nice hiking trousers. They had one in what I thought would be my size, so I tried it to see whether I fit the model. It was twice as expensive as what I want to spend on trousers. But I thought it was good to know the size, in case I ever see that pair on sale somewhere.
Then yesterday, I went looking online for those trousers on sale. I don't need them yet, my mind is just now focussed on them. Stupid. Luckily I haven't bought them yet and now realize that I am having the wrong mindset.

We found a solution. DH has a pair of hiking trousers in his cupboard that don't fit him well. So he doesn't wear it anymore. He suggested I tried it on. It was sitting pretty well, apart from being a bit too wide at my waist. DH made it a bit narrower at the waist and now it fits very well. :-)

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2018, 02:29:45 PM »
I also really needed to replace a couple of bras.  I caved and bought some of those expensive ThirdLove bras I've been seeing advertised everywhere for their "amazing" fit and 30 day guarantee.  They fit...like a little(?) better than any others I've ever had that were half the price?  I honestly don't know what to do.  I'm only a couple weeks in to the 30 day trial, so I could return them, but I already threw away my two old bras and that means I'd have to actually go shopping and do the hard work of finding other ones that fit almost as well.  I HATE bra shopping.  So I might keep them, even though I could save some money, because it saves me time and they fit marginally better.  I hate that I got sucked in, though, and I'm sure this is what they count on - people finding it more work than it's worth to do the returns.  Sigh.

Ha, I fell into the ThirdLove trap too. Didn't love the bras, didn't hate them. Didn't feel like going through the hassle of returning them. Next time I need new ones I will have to force myself to go shopping, ugh.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2018, 01:41:34 AM »
I also really needed to replace a couple of bras.  I caved and bought some of those expensive ThirdLove bras I've been seeing advertised everywhere for their "amazing" fit and 30 day guarantee.  They fit...like a little(?) better than any others I've ever had that were half the price?  I honestly don't know what to do.  I'm only a couple weeks in to the 30 day trial, so I could return them, but I already threw away my two old bras and that means I'd have to actually go shopping and do the hard work of finding other ones that fit almost as well.  I HATE bra shopping.  So I might keep them, even though I could save some money, because it saves me time and they fit marginally better.  I hate that I got sucked in, though, and I'm sure this is what they count on - people finding it more work than it's worth to do the returns.  Sigh.

Ha, I fell into the ThirdLove trap too. Didn't love the bras, didn't hate them. Didn't feel like going through the hassle of returning them. Next time I need new ones I will have to force myself to go shopping, ugh.

My bras with favorite fit are certain models from Marie Jo, like this one:
https://www.fruugo.no/marie-jo-0100416-kvinners-avero-hvit-polstret-underwired-bh/p-15170639-32683167?ac=google&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk_TbBRDsARIsAALJSOYvuhR_TF4olTDAXI8fhTFfkZJuxsGj8mo_X4PNxGW-m4uYFM8JTioaAhPaEALw_wcB
They are expensive, but they keep their model for a decade or so.
As I have grown a cup size compared to my old Marie Jo bras, I caved in as well last year and bought a new one after searching the whole internet for those particular bras on sale. It is a slightly different model, but if fits fine. Even on half price, it still cost a lot more than my El Cheapo Hennes & Mauritz bra on 50% sale. The Marie Jo is a lot more comfortable to wear, though.

Hula Hoop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2018, 08:03:06 AM »
We just got back from our annual trip home to the US where I tend to go hog wild discount shopping clothes for the whole family since everything is so much cheaper over there.  This time, while we bought a few things at the TJ Maxx type place we go to, we managed to keep it within certain bounds.

I got a new backpack as the old one is all ripped.  I wear this to work every day so ripped back pack was not cool.  I got a pair of jeans shorts at a thrift shop and some nice shorts at discount shop.  We got a bunch of t-shirts and leggings for older DD that can eventually be handed down to younger DD and a new swim suit for younger DD with proper sun coverage (not available here in the land of the deep tan).  Also 2 t shirts and 2 shorts for my husband.  All in all, not too bad.   We only shop once a year in the US usually so this will be it for the year.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2018, 02:03:08 AM »
We just got back from our annual trip home to the US where I tend to go hog wild discount shopping clothes for the whole family since everything is so much cheaper over there.  This time, while we bought a few things at the TJ Maxx type place we go to, we managed to keep it within certain bounds.

I got a new backpack as the old one is all ripped.  I wear this to work every day so ripped back pack was not cool.  I got a pair of jeans shorts at a thrift shop and some nice shorts at discount shop.  We got a bunch of t-shirts and leggings for older DD that can eventually be handed down to younger DD and a new swim suit for younger DD with proper sun coverage (not available here in the land of the deep tan).  Also 2 t shirts and 2 shorts for my husband.  All in all, not too bad.   We only shop once a year in the US usually so this will be it for the year.

I have colleagues who typically travel to the US with empty suitcases to full them up over there. I can't imagine that such people would only buy necessary clothes.

Hula Hoop, sounds like you could restrain yourself pretty well.

Hula Hoop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2018, 02:26:51 AM »
Thanks, Linda. I was quite proud of myself.  It's hard when clothes are so much cheaper (and fit me better as I'm tall) not to overspend.

Rosielicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2018, 05:55:33 AM »
Can I join in for the last part of the year? I haven't been on the forums long and I've only just found this thread.

I want to challenge myself to not buy any clothes/shoes unless I need to replace something that has worn out and I can no longer patch it/stick it back together.

sui generis

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2018, 11:40:13 PM »
Can I join in for the last part of the year? I haven't been on the forums long and I've only just found this thread.

I want to challenge myself to not buy any clothes/shoes unless I need to replace something that has worn out and I can no longer patch it/stick it back together.

Welcome! Anytime is a good time to start being thoughtful and cautious about clothes shopping!

Rosielicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2018, 04:25:12 AM »
Awesome.

I am expecting to have to replace a pair of jeans at some point. I have 3 pairs of black jeans that I wear to work and I've had to patch 2 of them already this year. We'll see how long the repairs last! They all wear through on the inner thigh eventually. Whilst I can continue to wear them for a while, once they're mostly patch I won't be able to wear them for work.

I need to have a pair of walking trainers repaired, turns out I lift my big toes up when I walk and have worn holes in the top of them both after only a few months. It's not noticeable if I only wear black socks, but they will need fixing. And that should be it for shoes.

And I really want a pair of joggers to hang around the house in so I can wear my jeans less. These will be from a charity/thrift shop.

One of my bad habits is buying wool to make scarves and hats. This autumn/winter I intend to only make things from wool I already have in my stash. No buying new wool! Maybe this way I can reduce my craft stash as well! Might put wool on my Xmas list...

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2018, 12:33:07 PM »
The previous couple of days we were on a city trip to Gdansk in Poland. DH felt like we had to go shopping. So we visited a big shopping center. I thought hard about what I could possibly need and landed on a pair of jeans. I even looked at some jeans in two shops. The all had the tag "skinny" on them, which is not an adequate description of my figure. Therefore I was spared the temptation of a purchase. Ended up buying nothing at all. We just spent the time looking at stuff in the city, as well as drinking craft beers.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:41:03 AM by Linda_Norway »

Off the Wheel

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2018, 05:35:17 PM »
I fell off the wagon for this challenge. Got pregnant, bought pregnancy clothes. Lost baby, bought new clothes in grief and frustrating with my changed body. Now life is settling a bit more, so I'll join for the last few months of the year.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2018, 01:42:21 AM »
I fell off the wagon for this challenge. Got pregnant, bought pregnancy clothes. Lost baby, bought new clothes in grief and frustrating with my changed body. Now life is settling a bit more, so I'll join for the last few months of the year.

Oh dear, I'm sorry for you.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2018, 06:24:08 AM »
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mariposa

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »
@Off the Wheel : so sorry for your loss. Hope you are well.

I think I've failed at this challenge. I tried, but the problem is, if I don't buy any clothes for 6-12 months, I start to feel frumpy. I know this is exactly how the materialist-capitalist system wants me to feel. I'm a consumer sucka, but there it is.

I try to avoid anything too trendy, and I buy clothes and shoes in a limited color palette (black, white, gray, blue), but I still feel the need to refresh my wardrobe with 2-4 bottoms, 4-6 tops, and perhaps 1-4 pairs of shoes each year. I find that maybe only 50-70% of what I buy ends up in regular rotation: some things that initially look good end up being not quite as forgiving as I thought, or too tight and uncomfortable around my neck, or too sheer, etc. In my post-pregnancy middle age, the range of clothes I can confidently wear is much narrower than when I was younger. Some of what I buy is to replace what's become misshapen, worn out, or pilled, but it's definitely more than what's strictly necessary.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2018, 07:39:49 PM »
@Off the Wheel, My condolences. It is a very difficult thing to go through; I hope you can be kind to yourself, whatever that means to you.

I think I've failed at this challenge. I tried, but the problem is, if I don't buy any clothes for 6-12 months, I start to feel frumpy. I know this is exactly how the materialist-capitalist system wants me to feel. I'm a consumer sucka, but there it is.

I try to avoid anything too trendy, and I buy clothes and shoes in a limited color palette (black, white, gray, blue), but I still feel the need to refresh my wardrobe with 2-4 bottoms, 4-6 tops, and perhaps 1-4 pairs of shoes each year. I find that maybe only 50-70% of what I buy ends up in regular rotation: some things that initially look good end up being not quite as forgiving as I thought, or too tight and uncomfortable around my neck, or too sheer, etc. In my post-pregnancy middle age, the range of clothes I can confidently wear is much narrower than when I was younger. Some of what I buy is to replace what's become misshapen, worn out, or pilled, but it's definitely more than what's strictly necessary.

I think I've had similar feelings about my wardrobe and shopping habits. I'm pretty sure I haven't fully resolved it, but there are a few things I think have helped...
-keeping track of the types of things I buy and wear a lot, vs the types of things that I like but don't end up getting a lot of use. For me this tends to be most related to fabric (I tend toward soft), too-tight or too-short cut, or dressier than my usual style. I've also discovered I really can't get away with non-petite sizing on many tops (arm holes show bra or button downs ride up and sit funny). I've tried to stop buying things that I don't *love* when trying them on, the things I just "think I can pull off".
-pushing myself to wear what I have, both pushing my style from comfort zone to aspirational zone, and not "saving" my nicer/favorite clothes until they don't fit, are out of style, etc.
-gentler care regime (fewer washes, hang drying some things)
-paying more attention to materials and how they age. I've noticed my cotton sweaters tend to fade & stretch and acrylic ones get scratchy. When I replaced my cardigans I found some light merino wool ones...I like how the knit and fibers have held up over last winter, but they did seem to develop small holes easily so I might try a different brand once they're beyond repair.

I have also made peace with the fact that certain high-wear items will just wear quickly. I seem to burn through my dark-wash skinny jeans and flat everyday sneakers...because I wear them several times a week!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2018, 02:59:12 AM »
@Off the Wheel, My condolences. It is a very difficult thing to go through; I hope you can be kind to yourself, whatever that means to you.

I think I've had similar feelings about my wardrobe and shopping habits. I'm pretty sure I haven't fully resolved it, but there are a few things I think have helped...
-keeping track of the types of things I buy and wear a lot, vs the types of things that I like but don't end up getting a lot of use. For me this tends to be most related to fabric (I tend toward soft), too-tight or too-short cut, or dressier than my usual style. I've also discovered I really can't get away with non-petite sizing on many tops (arm holes show bra or button downs ride up and sit funny). I've tried to stop buying things that I don't *love* when trying them on, the things I just "think I can pull off".
-pushing myself to wear what I have, both pushing my style from comfort zone to aspirational zone, and not "saving" my nicer/favorite clothes until they don't fit, are out of style, etc.
-gentler care regime (fewer washes, hang drying some things)
-paying more attention to materials and how they age. I've noticed my cotton sweaters tend to fade & stretch and acrylic ones get scratchy. When I replaced my cardigans I found some light merino wool ones...I like how the knit and fibers have held up over last winter, but they did seem to develop small holes easily so I might try a different brand once they're beyond repair.

I have also made peace with the fact that certain high-wear items will just wear quickly. I seem to burn through my dark-wash skinny jeans and flat everyday sneakers...because I wear them several times a week!

I also wear the same few clothes all the time. I think I rotate between 7-8 shirts and 3 trousers for work. Sometimes with a cardigan. Some time ago I went through my closet and got rid of everything I don't wear regularly. Now I have tiny piles of clothes, very easy to find stuff. By the way, I find that good quality fleece lasts long for a cardigan. My eldest one is 20 years old and I have worn it often. If they wear through the sleeves, you can always patch them. ;-) I haven't needed to do that yet.

At the moment I buy new things when I need it. If a bra is getting saggy, I will look for a new one on sale. I have in general just lost interest in clothes and couldn't really be bothered to go shopping for fancy (office) clothes. Privately I usually only wear outdoors clothes. And they wear through sometimes, so that we can buy or make other stuff. Buying is done on sale of course. At work I now wear up what I had before. I hardly visit shopping centers any more. If you don't see nice clothes, it is easier to oppress the thought of buying them.

DH has discovered sewing as a hobby, so he has been making me some clothes (his idea), a blazer, trousers and outdoor pants. He will also make me a new goretex raincoat as my old one is showing signs of delamination (which will leak).

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
I must confess to the terribly non-mustachian purchase of matching pajamas for the whole family for a Polar Express train ride we're doing. But hopefully it will be a great memory for my older daughter (the younger one isn't old enough to remember it).

Otherwise, I've been doing okay - I got a couple fall/winter things for the kids, but stayed within my parameters of buying them used (other than some socks and undies that were bought new). And I bought myself a pair of joggers at Costco for $10, but it was after realizing that my only pair of sweats that fit properly now have a hole in them.