Author Topic: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019  (Read 29421 times)

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2019, 07:33:20 AM »
Bought two dress shirt replacements from J. Crew. I got 25% off and free shipping, at least. Also, my mom picked up a couple base layer shirts for me (winter is cold in Minnesota), and I paid her back for them. My husband and I made a deal where I have a clothing budget each month, but if I don't spend it on clothing, I can put it into a fun money fund for myself. I have a few larger items I'd like for myself and can use it toward that. That's been motivating. Also, we decided our credit card points with Old Navy don't count, since they are essentially free clothing.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »
I bought nothing in January! On to February!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2019, 12:28:50 AM »
I bought nothing in January! On to February!

Well done!

In January, I only bought a new pair of jeans to replace a pair with holes in embarrassing places. And some socks, but those are staple goods.

Otherwise I'm not interested in buying clothes. But when it is sale at the end of the winter, I will look for buying a new woolen long sleeve shirt. I miss the one that I had to ditch because of many holes.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »
OMG -- my first post on this thread was 1/20.  That means it's only been 16 days.  And I have definitely thought about buying clothes.  Haven't done it, but definitely thought about it.

For some reason, I fixated on the idea that I needed a black one piece swimsuit.  I was torn between a trendier, sexier one and a more conservative, classic one.  Of course, the answer is that I don't need either because I already have plenty of swimsuits.  And they will be making black one pieces until the end of time, so when one of the ones that I currently own gives out, I will need a new swimsuit then.  But not now.

I miss the creative outlet of finding new clothes, and the feeling that buying clothes was really just for me.  Like all of us, I have a lot of obligations to work and family and I spend most of my time getting things done for other people.  Finding and buying exciting, beautiful clothes was just for me.  I was kind of grouchy and resentful this weekend because my husband spent a good chunk of time working on a non-mandatory home project (which is a hobby of his) and I "couldn't" buy clothes.  Keep in mind, he's not pushing me to drop the clothes habit.  I've been  trying to lead by example on cutting expenses.  But I felt resentful all the same.

I think the answer is to treat not buying clothes as a new creative challenge, like finding new ways to wear the clothes I already have or up-cycling old clothes or jewelry into something I will get more wear from.  I've got half an idea to take an old pair of jeans that are on their way out and drawing a graphic pattern on them with a sharpie. I've also got a bunch of cheap elastic bracelets and necklaces that are dying.  Those beads could be sewn onto a plain t-shirt or sweater.

In other news, I went for the ultimate badass mustachian style hack . . . and buzzed off my hair!  I've been wearing a longer asymmetrical pixie cut for years, but I needed to get it cut every 5-6 weeks and it was $90 a pop.  Add in product and I spent almost $900 last year on that haircut. I justified it all kinds of ways -- I need a professional look for my job, I've been seeing my stylist for years and genuinely like her, she runs her own business and I want to support her.  But at the end of the day, it was an unnecessary expense.  So after mulling it over for weeks and toying with the idea of maintaining the look on my own (lol, no), I went with radical simplicity.  I took my husband's clippers, put on the 3/4 inch guard, and just shaved it all off in the bathroom.  And it looks . . . awesome!  It's very rock and roll, but having just a bit of length keeps me from looking like a skinhead.  And, so far, no one at work cares.

Here's to a no new clothes February!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2019, 09:12:50 AM »
When I was in Ottawa for the weekend, I found out the hard way, my winter boots are no longer water proof and in fact - the left one has a big hole or holes.  I had frozen feet - particularly my left foot in no time at all.  The next day I was in MEC and they had waterproof boots marked down from 159.99CAN to 89.99CAN.  I went for it.  They are nice and wide in the toes so my big chunky wool socks will fit.  They aren't very high so they won't work well in Ottawa- but we don't get nearly the amount of snow they do.  Perfect.  I am going to see if the shoe repair can fix my other boots - because the upper still look ok and they are very comfortable for walking, if everything is either dry or frozen.  I used to own a pair of Sorels but they completely wore out and would either leak or if I wasn't using really thick socks scrape the skin off the back of my foot.  Finally after forgetting to double up the socks once again I threw them in the garbage. I have not owned slush proof boots for a year now and with our climate, they are necessary.  Sitting on the train for 90 minutes with wet socks and then walking home for 20 is just plain torture.

I don't know how to find cheaper boots that would are warm and dry in the slush, so given that they are were on sale and fit nicely, this is a win for me.
I further thinking - only one pair of the four pack woolen socks were unnecessary - I have worn those socks every day of the week since I got them. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2019, 10:55:01 AM »
OMG -- my first post on this thread was 1/20.  That means it's only been 16 days.  And I have definitely thought about buying clothes.  Haven't done it, but definitely thought about it.

For some reason, I fixated on the idea that I needed a black one piece swimsuit.  I was torn between a trendier, sexier one and a more conservative, classic one.  Of course, the answer is that I don't need either because I already have plenty of swimsuits.  And they will be making black one pieces until the end of time, so when one of the ones that I currently own gives out, I will need a new swimsuit then.  But not now.

I miss the creative outlet of finding new clothes, and the feeling that buying clothes was really just for me.  Like all of us, I have a lot of obligations to work and family and I spend most of my time getting things done for other people.  Finding and buying exciting, beautiful clothes was just for me.  I was kind of grouchy and resentful this weekend because my husband spent a good chunk of time working on a non-mandatory home project (which is a hobby of his) and I "couldn't" buy clothes.  Keep in mind, he's not pushing me to drop the clothes habit.  I've been  trying to lead by example on cutting expenses.  But I felt resentful all the same.

I think the answer is to treat not buying clothes as a new creative challenge, like finding new ways to wear the clothes I already have or up-cycling old clothes or jewelry into something I will get more wear from.  I've got half an idea to take an old pair of jeans that are on their way out and drawing a graphic pattern on them with a sharpie. I've also got a bunch of cheap elastic bracelets and necklaces that are dying.  Those beads could be sewn onto a plain t-shirt or sweater.

In other news, I went for the ultimate badass mustachian style hack . . . and buzzed off my hair!  I've been wearing a longer asymmetrical pixie cut for years, but I needed to get it cut every 5-6 weeks and it was $90 a pop.  Add in product and I spent almost $900 last year on that haircut. I justified it all kinds of ways -- I need a professional look for my job, I've been seeing my stylist for years and genuinely like her, she runs her own business and I want to support her.  But at the end of the day, it was an unnecessary expense.  So after mulling it over for weeks and toying with the idea of maintaining the look on my own (lol, no), I went with radical simplicity.  I took my husband's clippers, put on the 3/4 inch guard, and just shaved it all off in the bathroom.  And it looks . . . awesome!  It's very rock and roll, but having just a bit of length keeps me from looking like a skinhead.  And, so far, no one at work cares.

Here's to a no new clothes February!

I presume you are a woman, having a husband and swimsuits? Then having this kind of hair cut is really badass!

When it comes to clothes, you might want to look into redesigning your old clothes into something else. Of course doing it yourself on the sewing machine.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »
@Linda_Norway  Yes, I am a cisgender woman with a husband :)  But good on you for not making the assumption.

I've considered the idea of getting a sewing machine.  It would be basically learning from zero, but would be a fun challenge.  Maybe if I go the whole year with under $200 on clothes and shoes, I'll buy one.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2019, 12:24:08 AM »
@Linda_Norway  Yes, I am a cisgender woman with a husband :)  But good on you for not making the assumption.

I made the wrong assumption once, when a woman with an male-like username wrote about "my wife". Learning all the time...

I've considered the idea of getting a sewing machine.  It would be basically learning from zero, but would be a fun challenge.  Maybe if I go the whole year with under $200 on clothes and shoes, I'll buy one.

My DH has learned to sew from scratch and thinks it is fun. He doesn't do much redesign, but he makes stuff from scratch, mostly outdoor clothes and equipment, often making his own patterns. You could buy an old second-hand sewing machine, the ones from the early 70-ies with orange flower print on them, last forever.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2019, 03:28:06 PM »
I bought 2 things I said I needed earlier today - new pair of road running shoes and a pair of trail running shoes.

I also bought something I didn't "NEED" but wanted to replace. I got some decent arch support slippers to wear around the house. I have 2 pair at home but they are both crappy and worn out- kinda like cheapo Kohl's type slippers that I've been milking for years. They are barely sturdy at all and falling apart. So I can replace both with my new pair.

So I bit the bullet and bought a nice pair of support slippers that I hope will serve me well for the next 5 years or so.

I also bought two pairs of pants at the goodwill last month when I was bored and taking a walk during lunch. Boo. :( They were cheap and I really like them but I didn't need them.

I just found out I'm within walking distance at work to a FREE art museum. I think when I'm bored and need a stroll when it's pouring rain I can walk around inside there and then won't be tempted to buy anything.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2019, 01:20:28 AM »
I mentioned earlier that a needed a new woolen undershirt, because my old one was so worn through that I tore holes in them when putting it on. It still has a way too high price. Yesterday I ordered a new shirt online, from another brand that is much cheaper, as well as on sale. It looks pretty similar.

Didn't buy anything else that I didn't need.

Currently wearing a free shirt from my previous employer, 5-6 years old and still in good condition.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2019, 02:52:46 AM »
Score!  My boss just gave me some Ferragamo rubber rain boots that are slightly too big for her.  Why on earth someone would buy Ferragamo rain boots is beyond me but they're very nice.  I already have rain boots but they are bright green so not very work appropriate.  These will be a nice addition to my wardrobe.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2019, 06:40:21 AM »
I don't know if this is a win or a fail, but I haven't bought the clothes that I need yet. I got some pants, so yay? But my shirts are uniformly too large right now. Hooray weight loss, but damn it's expensive to get 5 new shirts. Plus, who has time to go shopping?

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2019, 06:12:14 AM »
Things I will definitely need:
- Sandals - are falling apart
- Good (ankle) boots - not easy to find good vegan durable nice boots, suitable for work but also good for walking a whole day. So if I find some I will go for it. My pair I have are 5+ years old and I could use some even if these will last longer than I think
- Flowy pair of 'summer' pants/trousers - black - suitable for work but also loungy enough to wear anywhere else - I had/have some but those have a tear on the butt area that can not be fixed good enough to still be sfw

So.. I'm noticing just NOT buying clothes for me is sooo much easier than only clothing you need (last year not buying clothes for 11 months wasn't that hard tbh). If I can buy something I'm browsing and then I feel i NEED things I don't.

I don't want to be the clothes buying type. I want to be the having good/nice clothes but having enough type, feeling enough, being grateful, not thinking too much about it. I don't like excess.

That being said, I bought all the stuff from my list already.
Sandals: Bought 2 pairs online, exactly the same as the ones that are falling apart. Found the same ones from 6 years ago somewhere, was so glad I found them and decided to go for 2 pairs (one complete black, one with some silvery accents) and hoping they will last me a long long time.
Good boots:There was a sale at a shoe shop and they had some good non-leather boots that fit me like a glove with comfortable rubber soles and zippers as well as laces so easy to get on/off. For only 30€ (used to be 70€) so that was a very good find. I never thought I would find something so soon but I'm so happy with these. I've been wearing them all the time and they are amazing. Comfortable and just nice enough to be able to wear to work (it's a dressy casual workplace so that's great) but also very good for walking around in all day and also casual/kind edgy vibe.
Flowy pair of summer pants: Bought the same pair at the same store, just new ones and without the tear. Bought a second-hand one later online (slightly different with a black velvet like stripe on the sides). So I'm good to go. So happy with these as they go with everything, the best to wear if it's too hot for jeans/thicker pants and too cold for bare legs. So, almost every day in summer in the Netherlands.

I'm hoping that the fact that I bought the things on my list and the fact that I can stop browsing will mean being tempted by other stuff will stop. I will not browse, not check online shops and/or online secondhand market places. It's just a slippery slope for me. Lesson learned.

On another note, I need to buy some bras. I hate buying them, I have to find good ones that fit well and they are usually expensive. But I only have 3 normal pairs and 2 sport bras. Enough for sport (one in the wash, one to be able to wear) but I only really like the fit of 1 of the normal ones. I need some more I guess. I will force myself and try to find the same fit I already have and love.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2019, 03:53:06 PM »
I haven't bought any clothing this year so far, but I am going to have to buy some black work pants soon. I just realized (while at work!!) that my one pair has a hole in the crotch. It's so threadbare I don't think I can patch it without it being pretty visible. If these were casual pants I'd do it, but since they're work pants, I need new ones. Goal is to spend less than $60. My legs are really long, so it's difficult to find pants secondhand, plus they should last longer new.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:57:02 PM by zygote »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2019, 01:01:37 AM »
On another note, I need to buy some bras. I hate buying them, I have to find good ones that fit well and they are usually expensive. But I only have 3 normal pairs and 2 sport bras. Enough for sport (one in the wash, one to be able to wear) but I only really like the fit of 1 of the normal ones. I need some more I guess. I will force myself and try to find the same fit I already have and love.

+1. I currently don't need them, but hate buying them as well, because the good ones are costly. And most don't fit well.
Last time I bought one online, on sale. I used a brand I was used to, but it is slightly too big, even though I have other models of the same brand that fit perfectly.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2019, 12:49:24 AM »
Update: I went to a few stores last weekend, and nothing fit right. It seemed like it was going to be harder than I thought to replace the torn pants, so I figured I’d at least try fixing the ones I already have. I took it to a tailor and he patched it for $10. It’s not seamless, but he did a good job and my wife swears you can’t see the patch when the pants are on. I’ll take it! ~$50 saved, and I don’t have to recycle the pants yet.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2019, 04:04:28 AM »
Nice job @zygote!  ^That's a happy story.

Holding strong here -- no clothes bought for myself since December of 2017 (when I bought a coat).  So I'm going on 15 months of buying nothing.  I'm tempted to try to make it until the end of this year (two full years of no clothes), but then my feet would get wet.  The pair of shoes I wear the most has unfixable holes.  :(   So between the shoes and the potential need for some farmwork pants and underwear, I'm setting an annual budget for myself this year of $150.

Since I FIREd at the end of January I've cleaned and sorted all my office work clothes.  I found a local church that runs a Dress for Success-type clothing closet, and I'm donating almost all my office clothes there tomorrow.  Keeping just one skirt, one dress, one tank top, and two fancy sweaters.

I also sorted all my other clothes, and found that everything I own (including shoes, socks, underwear, athletic gear, coats, and hats) is 72 items.   It fits easily in three drawers and about twenty inches of hanging space in the closet.  Seeing all that clean empty closet space makes me really happy.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2019, 05:57:09 AM »
I am really in the mood for a new winter coat. Stupid, because it is not absolutely necessary to replace it. The current one is still working, but I have been wearing it for 8 winters or so. I will have a look when the winter sales starts, which is in 1,5 month or so. And I will only buy if I find a nice and functional one for a low price and that doesn't look similar. Otherwise I will wait.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »
Just checking in as I haven't bought anything since my last post. Dont see anything in the near future

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2019, 03:37:52 AM »

+1. I currently don't need them, but hate buying them as well, because the good ones are costly. And most don't fit well.
Last time I bought one online, on sale. I used a brand I was used to, but it is slightly too big, even though I have other models of the same brand that fit perfectly.

Good to know I'm not alone in the hate bra shopping ;) Good luck to you too..

The online store that had a sale didn't have the sale anymore so that was a bummer. BUT then another online store had a massive sale with the pieces from 80 to 35€ so I ordered 3 different ones, hope at least one of them fits like I want to. They're all pretty basic so that's good.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2019, 04:34:27 AM »

The online store that had a sale didn't have the sale anymore so that was a bummer. BUT then another online store had a massive sale with the pieces from 80 to 35€ so I ordered 3 different ones, hope at least one of them fits like I want to. They're all pretty basic so that's good.

+3 on hate shopping for bras.  The best thing I ever did was go in person to a real bra fitter.  (It only took me 50 years to figure it out, but better late than never haha).  Thanks to the fitter, I discovered the wonders of both a properly fitting bra, and also a high quality one.  I wasted money years ago on cheap bras that weren't comfortable.   Good bras last for years if you don't put them in the dryer.     

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2019, 05:08:48 AM »

+3 on hate shopping for bras.  The best thing I ever did was go in person to a real bra fitter.  (It only took me 50 years to figure it out, but better late than never haha).  Thanks to the fitter, I discovered the wonders of both a properly fitting bra, and also a high quality one.  I wasted money years ago on cheap bras that weren't comfortable.   Good bras last for years if you don't put them in the dryer.   

Good tip!

I went to a good shop 10 years or so ago after only having cheap bras and that lady also assisted me in a fitting of several brands/sizes and I had a completely different size than I thought I needed. That was an eye opener for sure. That first good bra was awesome. I bought some from the same brand/same models after this and replaced my old ones in the years after this. I could not go back to cheaper ones!

And I don't have a dryer so that's good! :)

I read somewhere once that 80% of woman wear the wrong size?!

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2019, 07:38:02 AM »
I hate bras. I literally only own sports bras, and a few spaghetti strap sporty Walmart things that I wear under my fancy clothes. In college I remember buying a few "regular" bras, and any time I would wear one it was so uncomfortable because the clasp in the back would dig into my spine if I would sit I a chair, and the cups were weird shaped. I'm literally almost 30 and I wear a sports bra every day haha. I should probably grow out of this at some point, but sports bras are so comfortable, and I am small chested and I honestly don't think anyone could tell the difference!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2019, 08:11:17 AM »
I hate bras. I literally only own sports bras, and a few spaghetti strap sporty Walmart things that I wear under my fancy clothes. In college I remember buying a few "regular" bras, and any time I would wear one it was so uncomfortable because the clasp in the back would dig into my spine if I would sit I a chair, and the cups were weird shaped. I'm literally almost 30 and I wear a sports bra every day haha. I should probably grow out of this at some point, but sports bras are so comfortable, and I am small chested and I honestly don't think anyone could tell the difference!

If they are comfortable for you than there's no reason to buy others!

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2019, 09:35:48 AM »
Well, I didn't get any of the shirts i need. Even better, I've gotten slimmer, and I now fit into some of my nice clothes I bought many years ago. So problem solved, shopping avoided.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2019, 10:26:38 AM »
I'm still on track and haven't bought any clothes this year. I may need to get together a little more of a professional wardrobe pending some developments at work, but I'm going to hold off as long as possible and keep it as minimal as possible. I need to take the approach @brute has taken and slim down...I have several nice work pants that could go back into rotation of I could get 20 pounds off...

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2019, 07:19:04 AM »
Welp, I spent all of my spontaneous money for February on nursing bras and nursing-compatible shirts from the ARC. 

I went into the month thinking "I had plenty of nursing bras last time around, it will be fine, I just need like one sleep bra for nursing", but then I realized that I wore some EXTREMELY ratty bras with holes in them (that I have since gotten rid of) for like the last 6 or 8 months of nursing, and no, I don't have enough.  I probably bought too many, but I ordered them online to take advantage of a 25% off + free shipping deal.  I may take some back to the physical store once I try them on, we'll see. 

I bought 4-5 shirts at the ARC, plus some super cute baby clothes, for $30 because apparently President's Day was a 4-tag sale day (lucky me)!  While thinking about nursing bras, I realized again that I felt super frumpy for almost 2 years because I hate the shirts I bought specifically for nursing.  They don't fit quite right anywhere - too small in the shoulders, too big in the waist, too small in the hips - and they're a single color, so any flaw in my body, real or imagined, was incredibly obvious to me all day, and I hated everything I was wearing.  I'm ok spending $30 for some patterned shirts with interesting cuts to help ameliorate that feeling for the next two years. 

Now I just need to stop buying cute baby girl clothes.  They're just ridiculously adorable <3

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2019, 09:20:25 AM »
So I had three things on my list to buy this year, and the most important -- by far -- was a pair of shoes.  My beloved ancient leather sneakers have ripped at the toes, and I thought they could not be repaired.  Long story short -- I made one last attempt and took them to a new shoe repair shop, and the guy said he could do it!!!   The repair won't look perfect, he said, but I don't care at all.  I'm so happy!

So I don't have to buy any shoes!  And the two other things on my list I can probably go without for the rest of the year.

Folks this is GAME ON.   New goal is to buy no clothes at all this year.  (If I can make it, that will make a two year streak for me with nothing bought.)   

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2019, 01:28:28 AM »
So I had three things on my list to buy this year, and the most important -- by far -- was a pair of shoes.  My beloved ancient leather sneakers have ripped at the toes, and I thought they could not be repaired.  Long story short -- I made one last attempt and took them to a new shoe repair shop, and the guy said he could do it!!!   The repair won't look perfect, he said, but I don't care at all.  I'm so happy!

So I don't have to buy any shoes!  And the two other things on my list I can probably go without for the rest of the year.

Folks this is GAME ON.   New goal is to buy no clothes at all this year.  (If I can make it, that will make a two year streak for me with nothing bought.)   

YES! Score.
That is so satisfying right?! Good for you and success for the rest of the year!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2019, 03:42:58 PM »
I *think* I've finally found sports bras, to replace my incredibly old/stretched out ones. I bought a two pack for $15 at Costco yesterday. Wore one for a run today, and it held up fine. Now I'll wash it, and if it works, I'll probably buy two more packs, so I can get rid of all of my old sports bras.

I also ordered myself a pair of glove liners for skiing. Mine are 15+ years old, and were ripped, which defeated the purpose when I was trying to get kids ready to ski and it was 10 degrees out. They were $10 or so on Amazon, so calling it a win.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2019, 04:41:40 PM »
I want one really nice, perfectly fitting, beautiful pair of jeans. I don't own any jeans right now, because it is so hard to find the perfect pair. I hate the "stretchy, thin denim" trend, and I want a thick, dark wash, skinny pair of jeans that I can wear with anything. I'm setting a goal of finding a pair before the end of the year...it will take me that long because I'm obnoxiously picky about fit.

I also want to buy 2 new pairs of boots. 1 pair of new waterproof/winter boots, and 1 pair of Blundstones.

That's pretty much it for the year I think.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2019, 06:19:06 PM »
I want one really nice, perfectly fitting, beautiful pair of jeans. I don't own any jeans right now, because it is so hard to find the perfect pair. I hate the "stretchy, thin denim" trend, and I want a thick, dark wash, skinny pair of jeans that I can wear with anything. I'm setting a goal of finding a pair before the end of the year...it will take me that long because I'm obnoxiously picky about fit.

I also want to buy 2 new pairs of boots. 1 pair of new waterproof/winter boots, and 1 pair of Blundstones.

That's pretty much it for the year I think.

Have you tried the Gap? They carry a variety of denim weight, some of which would meet your bar. For a more day to day option, I prefer Calvin Klein from Costco - typically $15. For the Gap, I try to buy online on Black Friday, and scored a great pair for $15-20 last year.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2019, 12:53:47 AM »
The bras I ordered were not the right fit so the search continues..

AnnaSmitt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2019, 02:46:04 AM »
I bought myself in 2019 a new gorgeous swimsuit. My dream is to go to the Maldives this year and put on my big-sized bikini wearion. Go to the beach and show off in front of everyone!

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2019, 05:09:43 PM »
No clothes bought this year!  I'm trying for the whole year - except I will need a pair of black flats for work (mine are getting very worn and I wear them every day).  I have a Kohl's GC and plan to use that for the shoes.  This has been easier than I thought!  The trick is not browsing ThredUp while I watch TV at night.   :)

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2019, 02:44:11 AM »

Score. I got 2 good ones for only 30€ together.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2019, 05:31:25 AM »

Score. I got 2 good ones for only 30€ together.

Nice!  ;)

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »
So far, I am doing terribly with this challenge, but pretty much everything I've gotten has been to replace worn out items. I found a pair of my beloved Ugg boots on eBay and bought them. So at the end of this winter, I'll retire my current pair which have completely ripped up linings and the waterproofing will probably be dead by spring. Also two pairs of jeans developed holes in terrible locations, so I bought more on sale. I've spent $321.63 on clothing so far in January & February.

I did get some winter (long sleeve) dresses at Old Navy for free with my credit card points. We do a surprising amount of "fancy" type events (orchestra concerts, opera, etc.) and I also perform at a few recitals, so having a few good dress options is handy. We have a wedding to attend tomorrow and I'm glad I have something I *know* fits me and looks good and will be warm.

I also realized I probably need to replace a swimsuit. I basically live in a swimsuit when I'm not at work in the summer since my parents have a pool. Oh, the humanity!

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2019, 01:14:42 PM »
Checking in.  No clothes this month.  Hurray for small victories.

I've been thinking hard about whether I need anything in the shoe department.  My hope is to get something on the higher quality end so I can enjoy it for many years, although I've been burned by "high quality" shoes before. Here are potentials:
-good quality leather sandals.  My sister let me try on her Birkenstocks and I liked them pretty well. 
-a brown / cognac leather flat or loafer
-canvas sneakers, probably Chucks, in gray

honestly, for summer, between the sandals and the flats, I probably don't need a sneaker.  I really just want something comfortable I can slip on and go, and the sandal and flat should satisfy that.  I have other sneakers.  The sandals I have are falling apart and I do not currently have a neutral flat.

I think I'm going to buy my sister a pair of nice winter boots for her birthday, but I don't suppose that really counts because they're not for me.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2019, 03:48:44 AM »
Also checking in to hold myself accountable. I did buy some new things again, aside from the bras and sandals and other shoes I actually needed. It's nice that I have some new (secondhand but new for me) blouses, dress and 2 skirts but I really don't need more clothes.

I'm not doing the strict no shopping for a year thing again like last year (that only lasted 11 months) but from now on I can only buy things I actually NEED like the thread says.

It adds up and I don't want too much stuff.

It reminds me of this article: https://www.raptitude.com/2011/01/i-dont-want-stuff-any-more-only-things/

NO shopping/looking for wants
NO secondhand browsing online or in secondhand stores
NO replacing items I don't need to replace

IF, but only IF something I really really need needs replacing I can.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:51:16 AM by Sanne »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2019, 04:14:44 AM »
My DH bought himself a new CC skiing jacket and a shirt, both on sale. He said his old stuff was getting thin. Otherwise he is following my good example of not buying clothes we don't need.

He is also trying to sell a fancy rain trousers he hasn't used for years.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2019, 05:14:54 AM »
This is a scootch off topic, but my curiosity is killing me -- @Linda_Norway: How is a CC skiing jacket different from a normal winter jacket?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2019, 05:25:02 AM »
This is a scootch off topic, but my curiosity is killing me -- @Linda_Norway: How is a CC skiing jacket different from a normal winter jacket?

It is not like a normal winter jacket, but a thin sports jacket, like a running jacket, but a bit warmer.

CC skiing is typically done at cold temperatures. And it is a sport where you tend to sweat a lot. The special feature is that it has windproof material in the front and very open material in the back. When you go fast downhill, you want it to keep the wind out in the front, to prevent your sweaty body from freezing. But when you go uphill and get warm, you want it to breath well and do that through the backside material.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2019, 05:28:51 AM »
Thanks!  I learned something today!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2019, 03:20:53 PM »
I ordered 2 pairs of jeans and one pair of cordouroy trousers today, all for $55 on Lucky brand jeans clearance sale. This is the first time I have bought clothes this year. Yesterday my DH bought me 2 sweaters at a thrift shop. So far I have thrown out two pairs of jeans with holes, one pair of stretched out yoga pants, one pair of shorts that I only wear for painting, and several bras and underwear that were itchy or did not fit well.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2019, 03:52:25 AM »
Man, I'm doing better with no shopping at all for clothes than only necessary shopping. My brain constantly wants to convince me I need something when I don't.

Therefore I will do the no shopping at least for the next 3 months and will see from there. Will re-evaluate after these 3 months and hopefully extend.

I thought I curbed my 'addiction' but *newsflash* I didn't. I have enough for every occasion in my life. I like my clothes, they fit right, enough to choose from so do not need more. More will rob me from the time I get to spend with the things I already have and will be extremely wasteful. 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2019, 04:47:42 AM »
Made the mistake of going shopping during a bit of a crisis (waiting while dog worryingly ill at vets, now recovered).  One bra I needed.  One jumper I needed (old one with holes retired to painting duty).  One very flattering top that I didn't need.  So unless I consider that I really need flattering that was a fail, less than three months in.  Sorry folks.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2019, 07:05:10 AM »
Not clothes, but spike soles. I use spike soles to put under my shoes in the winter when I walk to work. This is to prevent slices out on the ice/icy snow. I have had a pair that I used for the last 20 years. I have changed the spikes in them a couple of times. But now I cannot buy these exact spikes anymore. The spike soles have also always been slightly too big for my shoes.

So I read some reviews and selected the ones with the unanimous best review. I went to a shop that had them and bought a pair. My shoe size was exactly between 2 pairs. I first bought the smallest one. Tried them on my shoe in the car and found out it didn't fit at all. Went back into the shop, tried it on a sport shoe, but it still didn't fit the slightest bit. So I changed them to a bigger size. When home, I first had to find out how to actually fit them. That was more different from what I had expected. When I finally had them right, the bigger was were a bit sloppy on my shoes. I really have to pull them up abnormally high so that they will fit. I think they might go loose while walking.

We needed something else from that same sports shop, so we did an online order, the smaller pair of spike soles and a new LED headlight. When I have both pairs in the house, I will see which one fits best. Then I'll bring the one that doesn't fit back to the shop, which has a 100 days open for return.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2019, 07:30:32 AM »
Fell off the wagon on this challenge last week.  We were in Montreal and saw a department store that we don't have in our part of Ontario.  We had heard things about this department store and wanted to check it out.  The clothes for daughter were needed because she is growing out of everything but we didn't need to buy new.  Two work shirts for me were not really needed but I so wanted them.  What is done is done now hopping back on the wagon.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2019, 03:28:34 AM »
Fell off the wagon on this challenge last week.  We were in Montreal and saw a department store that we don't have in our part of Ontario.  We had heard things about this department store and wanted to check it out.  The clothes for daughter were needed because she is growing out of everything but we didn't need to buy new.  Two work shirts for me were not really needed but I so wanted them.  What is done is done now hopping back on the wagon.

That's the spirit. Right back on the wagon!