Author Topic: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019  (Read 2862 times)

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2019, 07:33:20 AM »
Bought two dress shirt replacements from J. Crew. I got 25% off and free shipping, at least. Also, my mom picked up a couple base layer shirts for me (winter is cold in Minnesota), and I paid her back for them. My husband and I made a deal where I have a clothing budget each month, but if I don't spend it on clothing, I can put it into a fun money fund for myself. I have a few larger items I'd like for myself and can use it toward that. That's been motivating. Also, we decided our credit card points with Old Navy don't count, since they are essentially free clothing.

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »
I bought nothing in January! On to February!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2019, 12:28:50 AM »
I bought nothing in January! On to February!

Well done!

In January, I only bought a new pair of jeans to replace a pair with holes in embarrassing places. And some socks, but those are staple goods.

Otherwise I'm not interested in buying clothes. But when it is sale at the end of the winter, I will look for buying a new woolen long sleeve shirt. I miss the one that I had to ditch because of many holes.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »
OMG -- my first post on this thread was 1/20.  That means it's only been 16 days.  And I have definitely thought about buying clothes.  Haven't done it, but definitely thought about it.

For some reason, I fixated on the idea that I needed a black one piece swimsuit.  I was torn between a trendier, sexier one and a more conservative, classic one.  Of course, the answer is that I don't need either because I already have plenty of swimsuits.  And they will be making black one pieces until the end of time, so when one of the ones that I currently own gives out, I will need a new swimsuit then.  But not now.

I miss the creative outlet of finding new clothes, and the feeling that buying clothes was really just for me.  Like all of us, I have a lot of obligations to work and family and I spend most of my time getting things done for other people.  Finding and buying exciting, beautiful clothes was just for me.  I was kind of grouchy and resentful this weekend because my husband spent a good chunk of time working on a non-mandatory home project (which is a hobby of his) and I "couldn't" buy clothes.  Keep in mind, he's not pushing me to drop the clothes habit.  I've been  trying to lead by example on cutting expenses.  But I felt resentful all the same.

I think the answer is to treat not buying clothes as a new creative challenge, like finding new ways to wear the clothes I already have or up-cycling old clothes or jewelry into something I will get more wear from.  I've got half an idea to take an old pair of jeans that are on their way out and drawing a graphic pattern on them with a sharpie. I've also got a bunch of cheap elastic bracelets and necklaces that are dying.  Those beads could be sewn onto a plain t-shirt or sweater.

In other news, I went for the ultimate badass mustachian style hack . . . and buzzed off my hair!  I've been wearing a longer asymmetrical pixie cut for years, but I needed to get it cut every 5-6 weeks and it was $90 a pop.  Add in product and I spent almost $900 last year on that haircut. I justified it all kinds of ways -- I need a professional look for my job, I've been seeing my stylist for years and genuinely like her, she runs her own business and I want to support her.  But at the end of the day, it was an unnecessary expense.  So after mulling it over for weeks and toying with the idea of maintaining the look on my own (lol, no), I went with radical simplicity.  I took my husband's clippers, put on the 3/4 inch guard, and just shaved it all off in the bathroom.  And it looks . . . awesome!  It's very rock and roll, but having just a bit of length keeps me from looking like a skinhead.  And, so far, no one at work cares.

Here's to a no new clothes February!

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2019, 09:12:50 AM »
When I was in Ottawa for the weekend, I found out the hard way, my winter boots are no longer water proof and in fact - the left one has a big hole or holes.  I had frozen feet - particularly my left foot in no time at all.  The next day I was in MEC and they had waterproof boots marked down from 159.99CAN to 89.99CAN.  I went for it.  They are nice and wide in the toes so my big chunky wool socks will fit.  They aren't very high so they won't work well in Ottawa- but we don't get nearly the amount of snow they do.  Perfect.  I am going to see if the shoe repair can fix my other boots - because the upper still look ok and they are very comfortable for walking, if everything is either dry or frozen.  I used to own a pair of Sorels but they completely wore out and would either leak or if I wasn't using really thick socks scrape the skin off the back of my foot.  Finally after forgetting to double up the socks once again I threw them in the garbage. I have not owned slush proof boots for a year now and with our climate, they are necessary.  Sitting on the train for 90 minutes with wet socks and then walking home for 20 is just plain torture.

I don't know how to find cheaper boots that would are warm and dry in the slush, so given that they are were on sale and fit nicely, this is a win for me.
I further thinking - only one pair of the four pack woolen socks were unnecessary - I have worn those socks every day of the week since I got them. 

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2019, 10:55:01 AM »
OMG -- my first post on this thread was 1/20.  That means it's only been 16 days.  And I have definitely thought about buying clothes.  Haven't done it, but definitely thought about it.

For some reason, I fixated on the idea that I needed a black one piece swimsuit.  I was torn between a trendier, sexier one and a more conservative, classic one.  Of course, the answer is that I don't need either because I already have plenty of swimsuits.  And they will be making black one pieces until the end of time, so when one of the ones that I currently own gives out, I will need a new swimsuit then.  But not now.

I miss the creative outlet of finding new clothes, and the feeling that buying clothes was really just for me.  Like all of us, I have a lot of obligations to work and family and I spend most of my time getting things done for other people.  Finding and buying exciting, beautiful clothes was just for me.  I was kind of grouchy and resentful this weekend because my husband spent a good chunk of time working on a non-mandatory home project (which is a hobby of his) and I "couldn't" buy clothes.  Keep in mind, he's not pushing me to drop the clothes habit.  I've been  trying to lead by example on cutting expenses.  But I felt resentful all the same.

I think the answer is to treat not buying clothes as a new creative challenge, like finding new ways to wear the clothes I already have or up-cycling old clothes or jewelry into something I will get more wear from.  I've got half an idea to take an old pair of jeans that are on their way out and drawing a graphic pattern on them with a sharpie. I've also got a bunch of cheap elastic bracelets and necklaces that are dying.  Those beads could be sewn onto a plain t-shirt or sweater.

In other news, I went for the ultimate badass mustachian style hack . . . and buzzed off my hair!  I've been wearing a longer asymmetrical pixie cut for years, but I needed to get it cut every 5-6 weeks and it was $90 a pop.  Add in product and I spent almost $900 last year on that haircut. I justified it all kinds of ways -- I need a professional look for my job, I've been seeing my stylist for years and genuinely like her, she runs her own business and I want to support her.  But at the end of the day, it was an unnecessary expense.  So after mulling it over for weeks and toying with the idea of maintaining the look on my own (lol, no), I went with radical simplicity.  I took my husband's clippers, put on the 3/4 inch guard, and just shaved it all off in the bathroom.  And it looks . . . awesome!  It's very rock and roll, but having just a bit of length keeps me from looking like a skinhead.  And, so far, no one at work cares.

Here's to a no new clothes February!

I presume you are a woman, having a husband and swimsuits? Then having this kind of hair cut is really badass!

When it comes to clothes, you might want to look into redesigning your old clothes into something else. Of course doing it yourself on the sewing machine.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »
@Linda_Norway  Yes, I am a cisgender woman with a husband :)  But good on you for not making the assumption.

I've considered the idea of getting a sewing machine.  It would be basically learning from zero, but would be a fun challenge.  Maybe if I go the whole year with under $200 on clothes and shoes, I'll buy one.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2019, 12:24:08 AM »
@Linda_Norway  Yes, I am a cisgender woman with a husband :)  But good on you for not making the assumption.

I made the wrong assumption once, when a woman with an male-like username wrote about "my wife". Learning all the time...

I've considered the idea of getting a sewing machine.  It would be basically learning from zero, but would be a fun challenge.  Maybe if I go the whole year with under $200 on clothes and shoes, I'll buy one.

My DH has learned to sew from scratch and thinks it is fun. He doesn't do much redesign, but he makes stuff from scratch, mostly outdoor clothes and equipment, often making his own patterns. You could buy an old second-hand sewing machine, the ones from the early 70-ies with orange flower print on them, last forever.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2019, 03:28:06 PM »
I bought 2 things I said I needed earlier today - new pair of road running shoes and a pair of trail running shoes.

I also bought something I didn't "NEED" but wanted to replace. I got some decent arch support slippers to wear around the house. I have 2 pair at home but they are both crappy and worn out- kinda like cheapo Kohl's type slippers that I've been milking for years. They are barely sturdy at all and falling apart. So I can replace both with my new pair.

So I bit the bullet and bought a nice pair of support slippers that I hope will serve me well for the next 5 years or so.

I also bought two pairs of pants at the goodwill last month when I was bored and taking a walk during lunch. Boo. :( They were cheap and I really like them but I didn't need them.

I just found out I'm within walking distance at work to a FREE art museum. I think when I'm bored and need a stroll when it's pouring rain I can walk around inside there and then won't be tempted to buy anything.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2019, 01:20:28 AM »
I mentioned earlier that a needed a new woolen undershirt, because my old one was so worn through that I tore holes in them when putting it on. It still has a way too high price. Yesterday I ordered a new shirt online, from another brand that is much cheaper, as well as on sale. It looks pretty similar.

Didn't buy anything else that I didn't need.

Currently wearing a free shirt from my previous employer, 5-6 years old and still in good condition.

Hula Hoop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2019, 02:52:46 AM »
Score!  My boss just gave me some Ferragamo rubber rain boots that are slightly too big for her.  Why on earth someone would buy Ferragamo rain boots is beyond me but they're very nice.  I already have rain boots but they are bright green so not very work appropriate.  These will be a nice addition to my wardrobe.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2019, 06:40:21 AM »
I don't know if this is a win or a fail, but I haven't bought the clothes that I need yet. I got some pants, so yay? But my shirts are uniformly too large right now. Hooray weight loss, but damn it's expensive to get 5 new shirts. Plus, who has time to go shopping?

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2019, 06:12:14 AM »
Things I will definitely need:
- Sandals - are falling apart
- Good (ankle) boots - not easy to find good vegan durable nice boots, suitable for work but also good for walking a whole day. So if I find some I will go for it. My pair I have are 5+ years old and I could use some even if these will last longer than I think
- Flowy pair of 'summer' pants/trousers - black - suitable for work but also loungy enough to wear anywhere else - I had/have some but those have a tear on the butt area that can not be fixed good enough to still be sfw

So.. I'm noticing just NOT buying clothes for me is sooo much easier than only clothing you need (last year not buying clothes for 11 months wasn't that hard tbh). If I can buy something I'm browsing and then I feel i NEED things I don't.

I don't want to be the clothes buying type. I want to be the having good/nice clothes but having enough type, feeling enough, being grateful, not thinking too much about it. I don't like excess.

That being said, I bought all the stuff from my list already.
Sandals: Bought 2 pairs online, exactly the same as the ones that are falling apart. Found the same ones from 6 years ago somewhere, was so glad I found them and decided to go for 2 pairs (one complete black, one with some silvery accents) and hoping they will last me a long long time.
Good boots:There was a sale at a shoe shop and they had some good non-leather boots that fit me like a glove with comfortable rubber soles and zippers as well as laces so easy to get on/off. For only 30Ä (used to be 70Ä) so that was a very good find. I never thought I would find something so soon but I'm so happy with these. I've been wearing them all the time and they are amazing. Comfortable and just nice enough to be able to wear to work (it's a dressy casual workplace so that's great) but also very good for walking around in all day and also casual/kind edgy vibe.
Flowy pair of summer pants: Bought the same pair at the same store, just new ones and without the tear. Bought a second-hand one later online (slightly different with a black velvet like stripe on the sides). So I'm good to go. So happy with these as they go with everything, the best to wear if it's too hot for jeans/thicker pants and too cold for bare legs. So, almost every day in summer in the Netherlands.

I'm hoping that the fact that I bought the things on my list and the fact that I can stop browsing will mean being tempted by other stuff will stop. I will not browse, not check online shops and/or online secondhand market places. It's just a slippery slope for me. Lesson learned.

On another note, I need to buy some bras. I hate buying them, I have to find good ones that fit well and they are usually expensive. But I only have 3 normal pairs and 2 sport bras. Enough for sport (one in the wash, one to be able to wear) but I only really like the fit of 1 of the normal ones. I need some more I guess. I will force myself and try to find the same fit I already have and love.

zygote

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2019, 03:53:06 PM »
I haven't bought any clothing this year so far, but I am going to have to buy some black work pants soon. I just realized (while at work!!) that my one pair has a hole in the crotch. It's so threadbare I don't think I can patch it without it being pretty visible. If these were casual pants I'd do it, but since they're work pants, I need new ones. Goal is to spend less than $60. My legs are really long, so it's difficult to find pants secondhand, plus they should last longer new.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:57:02 PM by zygote »

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2019, 01:01:37 AM »
On another note, I need to buy some bras. I hate buying them, I have to find good ones that fit well and they are usually expensive. But I only have 3 normal pairs and 2 sport bras. Enough for sport (one in the wash, one to be able to wear) but I only really like the fit of 1 of the normal ones. I need some more I guess. I will force myself and try to find the same fit I already have and love.

+1. I currently don't need them, but hate buying them as well, because the good ones are costly. And most don't fit well.
Last time I bought one online, on sale. I used a brand I was used to, but it is slightly too big, even though I have other models of the same brand that fit perfectly.

zygote

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2019, 12:49:24 AM »
Update: I went to a few stores last weekend, and nothing fit right. It seemed like it was going to be harder than I thought to replace the torn pants, so I figured Iíd at least try fixing the ones I already have. I took it to a tailor and he patched it for $10. Itís not seamless, but he did a good job and my wife swears you canít see the patch when the pants are on. Iíll take it! ~$50 saved, and I donít have to recycle the pants yet.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2019, 04:04:28 AM »
Nice job @zygote!  ^That's a happy story.

Holding strong here -- no clothes bought for myself since December of 2017 (when I bought a coat).  So I'm going on 15 months of buying nothing.  I'm tempted to try to make it until the end of this year (two full years of no clothes), but then my feet would get wet.  The pair of shoes I wear the most has unfixable holes.  :(   So between the shoes and the potential need for some farmwork pants and underwear, I'm setting an annual budget for myself this year of $150.

Since I FIREd at the end of January I've cleaned and sorted all my office work clothes.  I found a local church that runs a Dress for Success-type clothing closet, and I'm donating almost all my office clothes there tomorrow.  Keeping just one skirt, one dress, one tank top, and two fancy sweaters.

I also sorted all my other clothes, and found that everything I own (including shoes, socks, underwear, athletic gear, coats, and hats) is 72 items.   It fits easily in three drawers and about twenty inches of hanging space in the closet.  Seeing all that clean empty closet space makes me really happy.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2019, 05:57:09 AM »
I am really in the mood for a new winter coat. Stupid, because it is not absolutely necessary to replace it. The current one is still working, but I have been wearing it for 8 winters or so. I will have a look when the winter sales starts, which is in 1,5 month or so. And I will only buy if I find a nice and functional one for a low price and that doesn't look similar. Otherwise I will wait.

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »
Just checking in as I haven't bought anything since my last post. Dont see anything in the near future