Author Topic: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019  (Read 29602 times)

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
Re: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2019, 09:01:47 AM »
I was going to replace my running sneakers because the insole has a hole in the heel and they smell. But then I threw then in the washer.

I'm thinking of getting new insoles.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2019, 11:50:35 AM »
I still didn't buy any clothes, but I got 2 garments as gifts. DH sewed me a top from a free pattern he had won and a free piece of cloth. I could choose both.
He also gave me a new pair of hiking trousers that fit me perfectly. Bought online when they were on sale. I wear hiking trousers all the time when I have time off.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2019, 07:20:32 AM »
Now that I'm not pregnant, I bought myself a new pair of pants, a new shirt, and a new bikini top.

I'm very happy with the pants.  Funny story - I asked a lady at the museum about the pants she was wearing, because they looked SO comfy and stylish.  I looked into them, bought a pair, and when they got to my house, I was like "hmmm, these look familiar."  Turns out I have another pair (in the next smallest size and in a different color) that I bought probably 8 years ago.  I love them, but I haven't worn them recently because they didn't fit over my hips during pregnancy, so I didn't immediately realize they were the same pants. 

(On another note, Prana is AMAZING - I had the pants shipped to me, and they came in a sturdy paper bag, wrapped in twine.  Not a single piece of plastic in the entire package.)

The shirt I could have done without, but I've worn it enough now that I'd feel bad returning it, even to REI. 

The bikini top was an absolute necessity.  There's no way my nursing boobs fit into any of my other bathing suits.

I'm done buying clothes for the year, though.  I definitely don't need any more, and I'm still just a little heavier/less muscular than I prefer, so I'm going to try to not buy clothes to fit this body unless I have to.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2019, 07:59:55 AM »
Nothing new to report besides some more underwear for my four year old. I might need to replace a couple pairs of shoes before the year is out though. Kids are set on clothes unless the oldest has a major growth spur. Husband is losing weight but never got rid of his old smaller clothes, so he is fitting into them again.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2019, 08:41:21 AM »
I'm in for this too.

This year I've bought a pack of underwear and a two-pack of yoga pants. I'll likely hit the mileage recommendations to replace my running shoes, so I'll have to retire the old ones and get some new ones. Other than that, I think I could do pretty well with this challenge.

A big plus is I got to raid my MIL going-to-goodwill bags this weekend. Got a couple of cute tops, three dresses, a skirt, and two long sleeve shirts to save for colder temps.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2019, 10:49:08 AM »
I'm in for this too.

This year I've bought a pack of underwear and a two-pack of yoga pants. I'll likely hit the mileage recommendations to replace my running shoes, so I'll have to retire the old ones and get some new ones. Other than that, I think I could do pretty well with this challenge.

A big plus is I got to raid my MIL going-to-goodwill bags this weekend. Got a couple of cute tops, three dresses, a skirt, and two long sleeve shirts to save for colder temps.

Are you sure that mileage recommendation is not just put a bit early by the producer, to motivate you to change shoes earlier? I tend to feel it in my running shoes when they need to be replaced.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2019, 01:49:25 PM »
Not quite sure as this is my first set of dedicated-only-to-running shoes.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2019, 03:52:29 AM »
Been awhile since i have stopped by but I havent bought anything since that pair of shoes. I could use one extra nice shirt for going out but am in no hurry. Its pretty much been all T-shirts and shorts weather. One other thing I would like to get is a new cap from my DD University. The one I have now is so faded from the sun and is over 3 years old it doesnt even look like the schools colors and not doing the school any justice wearing it....lol
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:54:31 AM by soccerluvof4 »

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »
I've spent $0 on clothing this year.

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2019, 02:33:37 AM »
Now that I'm not pregnant, I bought myself a new pair of pants, a new shirt, and a new bikini

The bikini top was an absolute necessity.  There's no way my nursing boobs fit into any of my other bathing suits.

I'm done buying clothes for the year, though.  I definitely don't need any more, and I'm still just a little heavier/less muscular than I prefer, so I'm going to try to not buy clothes to fit this body unless I have to.

I wasn’t prepared for post pregnancy body. I was wearing pregnancy tops for a good 6months after if I remember correctly. The things they don’t tell you until it’s too lat.. 😆

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2019, 06:19:29 PM »
I've spent $0 on clothing this year.

YAY - me too:) at least so far.
I'm about to de-clutter my closet and try once more to have only as many clothes as will comfortably fit into the closet - without wrinkling any of the other clothes...
I may cave and buy something once I de-cluttered, we'll see.

The zero clothing was rather unintentional - I had other things to deal with and enough clothes to wear.
I even missed the once a year shoe sale which I'm bummed out about.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2019, 02:39:14 AM »
Well yesterday I had to buy my second piece of clothing or 1 depending on how you look at it. The first earlier in the year a new pair of shoes and yesterday a pair of Cargo shorts. I need them for my cash side gigs I do so bought a pair on sale at Wally world . So that is it in 7 months and I dont see me really needing anything else this year though maybe one shirt. We will see.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2019, 07:33:14 AM »
Been awhile since i have stopped by but I havent bought anything since that pair of shoes. I could use one extra nice shirt for going out but am in no hurry. Its pretty much been all T-shirts and shorts weather. One other thing I would like to get is a new cap from my DD University. The one I have now is so faded from the sun and is over 3 years old it doesnt even look like the schools colors and not doing the school any justice wearing it....lol

I am also thinking about buying a new cap. I have one that came for free with a fishing magazine many years ago and it is also faded completely. And it is stored at our cabin amd sometimes I need one at home.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2019, 08:43:35 AM »
It's been a while!

I did end up buying some maternity clothes from Old Navy -- 2 pairs of jeans, 2 jumpsuits (I know it sounds weird, but they're jersey, very roomy, and insanely comfortable), a swimsuit, a pair of leggings and a pair of shorts.  Maybe $150 all in, I don't remember. All are getting worn frequently, and nothing that I regret buying.  I also bought a pair of silver Birkenstocks for about $90 on sale.  They took a little time to break in, but I am so hooked.  They're awesome, and I wear them with everything.

That was maybe 2 months ago, and nothing since then.  I'm especially proud of myself for what I haven't bought and for breaking the "recreational browsing" habit which, inevitably, led to purchases.  I had my eye on a very pretty dress that I tried to rationalize as "for a wedding" that's coming up in March.  Which is very silly -- I have loads of dresses I could wear.  The weird thing is, after a few pangs of desire, it kind of faded away.  After a couple weeks, I stopped thinking about it and moved on. 

I feel like this is the power of these kinds of challenges.  Over time, you come to realize that you can make a change and, yes, it may feel like deprivation at first, but that feeling fades as your habits change. It gives you encouragement to get through the next tough change that will ultimately improve your life.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2019, 10:55:44 AM »
So far in 2019, I spent $60 on 3 items: a wool sweater for 160 pesos (less than $10) in San Cristobal de las Casas (Mexico), it was freezing at night, I only had a pair of shorts and some t-shirts, and my light winter jacket which I did not expect to need in Mexico had been packed in our camper back in Utah, and the camper was being repaired in a garage some 50 miles away. Last month in Yellowknife, I reluctantly had to look cleanish to attend an unplanned 3-day business meeting so I got myself a pair of smart-looking Superdry sneakers (the cheapest I could find in town, on special for $20) and a casual short-sleeved shirt (I take M but this XL was on special for $30, so XL I got, a bit baggy but it was fine...)...I live full-time in my truck camper and didn't want to look like I came straight out of the bush with my standard-issued uniform: a t-shirt, my one and only pair of jeans, and my old signature pair of dusty Blundstones... 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:51:03 AM by yyc-phil »

Logans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2019, 11:39:58 AM »
Up to now I bought a pair of jeans to replace the one that got ripped and, before the year ends, I may need a new pair of yoga pants because the one I have is a bit worn out.

These days I am adding a new piece to my wardrove, I am knitting a multi-color striped dress using leftover cotton yarn. Living in Vancouver I did not need more than one summer dress, but here in Italy the summer is way longer and I felt the need to add more variety to my summer wardrobe. I have already knitted a third of the dress and I really like the way it looks.

kudos to those of you who spent $0!!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2019, 11:48:21 AM »
Logans - hi to a fellow Italy- dweller.  It is really HOT here this summer.  I basically only wear summer dresses all summer long.  I was weak and just bought a new linen summer dress in the sales and a pair of jean shorts (old jean shorts are worn out).

Logans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2019, 01:06:58 PM »
Logans - hi to a fellow Italy- dweller.  It is really HOT here this summer. 

Hi!!! Nice to meet you! I am happy to see that there are other fellow mustachians living in Italy! How long have you been in the country? This is my second summer here and yes it is really HOT!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2019, 08:18:07 AM »
Soooo just checking in to say I completely failed these past few months.

For some reason, after I did not buy anything for 11 months, I came into the buying habit again. I didn't NEED it although I am happy about half of my purchases.. Other half not so much. I like secondhand but online is not always a good idea, some purchases are regrettable because they don't fit quite right or something.. And even though it is secondhand it does add up.

I recently listened to a podcast about fast and fair fashion/fashion industry/pollution etc and that got me thinking again.

So plan of action
- Selling the items online again that I don't want/don't fit right
- No clothing shopping for the next 3 months. AT ALL. Because just NOT shopping is better for me than rules/exceptions. With one exception: bikini is allowed because the one I have is 10 years old and not so nice anymore (and I doubt it I will because I hate bikini shopping).
- After the 3 months it's colder weather and I'm re-evaluating. Doubt I need anything for colder weather though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:37:35 AM by Sanne »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2019, 04:44:00 AM »

I am also thinking about buying a new cap. I have one that came for free with a fishing magazine many years ago and it is also faded completely. And it is stored at our cabin amd sometimes I need one at home.

Yea thats what makes it tough to buy one as I usually stumble along one free somewhere but I'd like one of her school. Going to visit her in a couple weeks and they usually have a large clearance selection so I'll probably go that route.

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »
I bought a $2 pair of flip flops that I technically didn’t need, but the alternative was showering barefoot in a campground shower.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2019, 02:05:02 PM »
I replaced my Fitbit because it broke, not sure if that counts as clothes or not? Also got one for husband because his broke a while ago but he waited to get a new one until his phone also needed replacing, because the new models didn't work with his old phone. These were not strictly needed, but they do keep us motivated to move.

I also bought a pair of shorts and a pair of leggings for myself, and 3 outfits and a pair of swim trunks for older son.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2019, 03:23:31 AM »
I ordered a new cap for 3 $. Then I can have one at home and one at our cabin. So next summer, I can have my eyes shades at home with my own cap and don't need to borrow one from DH.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2019, 06:24:22 AM »
I ALMOST bought a clearance pair of Prana pants, because I love my other Prana pants so much and I don't have any jeans that fit that aren't wearing through, but I went to try them on in the store (vs buying them straight online), and I'm so glad I did, because they didn't fit at all.  Crisis averted, purchase not made.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2019, 05:17:53 AM »
Yesterday I placed on order on Zalando (free delivery and free return) for a new warm fleece vest and a new bra.
I ruined my previous old, warm fleece vest when I wanted to put new cuffs on the arms and on the underside. But I have 2 other fleece vests that are still good. So their is no real valid reason to buy it, other than that one of them has a difficult colour. Well, if it doesn't fit perfectly, I will just send it back.
The bra is a replacement for one of my current bras that is all faded in colour and has lost most of it's fasong. I think it is more than 5 years old. Unfortunately I didn't really found anything on sale. All the bras that were on sale were only available in very limited sizes that were not my size.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2019, 05:50:17 AM »
I also bought a new pair of hiking shoes, as my old shoes have warm through the soles and holes have become visible. I will use the new ones as long as they last, but I don't think that is very long. The new ones were on sale for a good price, as also with GTX.
I use those shoes to walk to work, on average twice a week, 14 km or so per day of use. Even though I thought the soles could have lasted longer, they have lasted a good number of km. I think the soles were made out of a softish material. That is nice for walking through the forest as it gives good grip, but they might warn through a bit fast on asphalt. My route is partly through forest and partly over asphalt, so I had to buy some kind of compromise.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2019, 03:18:09 AM »
Well i did take some cash from my side gig and but a 10$ T-shirt and 12$ hat from my DD's University. The other one now I can just wear for grungy work and I will just wear the new T-shirt and New hat to her games. So I believe I am around 200$ for the year so not to shabby.

Legsofsteel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2019, 10:40:15 AM »
My only clothes purchases this year has been blue jeans which I got for $16 (was on sale). I wear them frequently. I did have other jeans, but they were a tad tight (mostly used for dating). So having one that is more comfy was definitely a worthwhile purchase.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2019, 04:33:07 AM »
Caught a free T-shirt at my Daughters game last night and its a nice one so that is an added bonus and will for sure now get me through the end of the year!!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2019, 02:38:21 AM »
So plan of action
- Selling the items online again that I don't want/don't fit right
- No clothing shopping for the next 3 months. AT ALL. Because just NOT shopping is better for me than rules/exceptions. With one exception: bikini is allowed because the one I have is 10 years old and not so nice anymore (and I doubt it I will because I hate bikini shopping).
- After the 3 months it's colder weather and I'm re-evaluating. Doubt I need anything for colder weather though.

So far so good. This month I did buy 2 bikinis. I tried a lot on in the last years and nothing was quite right (or usually.. terrible) so I just kept using my old pair that was now falling apart after fixing it 2 times. There was a sale on bikinis online from a brand I wanted to try but thought too expensive. I tried a lot of models and sizes and have 2 good bikinis now, hurray.

This was such a better buy than other clothes as this was something I was going to need anyways in the very near future but as I hate bikini shopping I just never went for it. For some reason the not buying other clothes thing cleared up the time and space (in my head).

No other clothes were bought. I even turned down  a band shirt from a concert my boyfriend wanted to buy me. I hope this shift in mindset will last (longer.. this time).

I subscribed to a mail listing about the fashion industry from a journalist website to keep me in the mindset (about fast fashion and what it does to the world.. it's even worse than I already thought it was).

On selling items: I brought some stuff to a secondhand store that sells clothes and you get 50% and it gets donated after this if it doesn't sell to a place where people with low incomes can get it for free. I still have to sell some other items online. On my to do list for this month.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 04:06:02 AM by Sanne »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2019, 07:37:18 AM »
I bought 3 new sets of uniforms for work. Was only going to buy 2 but they got me with the free shipping . Now I can stash one of my old pairs at work for emergencies.

I will need to buy shoes before the year is over too, but I will wait for a sale.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »
I bought a sweatshirt on vacation last week. I definitely didn't need it, but it was one I've wanted for several years. It was out of stock last time I visited this particular place. I'm glad to have it now.

My clothing spending is still the lowest it's ever been in my life. This is only the 4th clothing/accessory item I've bought all year.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2019, 04:06:54 AM »
My clothing spending is still the lowest it's ever been in my life. This is only the 4th clothing/accessory item I've bought all year.

Nice! Only 4 is very good!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: September 04, 2019, 05:06:46 AM »
I'm doing quite well for the year too.  It feels like I've spent a lot of money on clothes and shoes, but they've been almost entirely practical and much-needed. (Exercise shoes, walking shoes, sun-protection clothes for work, decent bras after not buying any for 3+ years.)

The one and only non-necessary clothing purchase I've made is a $20 t-shirt that was a fundraiser for my local theater.  I'll just consider that a donation ;)

chicklets123

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2019, 08:47:05 AM »
Contemplating some boots that are $100 used and $400 new... would you pay $100 for almost new boots or is that still too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »
Depends on the quality/condition of the boots. I got $400 Frye boots on clearance for $100 a few years ago, and I am really happy with them. I normally don't spend much on shoes because I'm so hard on them that they wear out after a year or two regardless of price. But these are such a step up in quality they're still going strong with basically no signs of wear. I think $100 is worth it if it's a similar brand that has a good reputation for longevity and they really are almost new.

chicklets123

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »
Funny Bc they ARE Fyre boots I was looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2019, 02:06:39 AM »
Contemplating some boots that are $100 used and $400 new... would you pay $100 for almost new boots or is that still too much?

Same as mentioned above basically..

1. Is it good quality? I've bought some more expensive shoes in the past and most of them are still going strong. Shoes are important in my opinion.
2. Do you really need it or is it a want? Are you missing something like this or does a similar item you already have and are using frequently need replacing (are you fixing a problem)

I was wondering.. does anyone use a budget for clothing purchases?

I'm asking because I really don't and think I should. I'm purchasing mostly second hand items, with some exceptions here and there but it still adds up. Not only because I was buying too much the last months but it just does. I kept track of it in my YNAB and it's not good..

I mean.. I don't think I should NEED a budget.. my mindset should change.. but I think for clothing items it might help me as I notice I get sucked in again..
I'm doing no clothes shopping from August-October (hope I will stretch it to the whole year) but after this I'm thinking of using a budget.

I was thinking 50€ a month (might still seem as a lot for some I guess and maybe it is, maybe I should use less).. That way I need to 'save up' if I want to buy something more expensive like good shoes, coat etc.. And I would have to think about "small" purchases (do I need it, do I love it, does it replace something else) instead of just thinking that it's not that expensive. And I would think about fixing the items I already have.

I could even make some money for my budget by selling items I no longer use.. That way I would be less lazy (maybe..) to actually sell the items online that I no longer use but are too nice to just bring to the secondhand store..

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2019, 02:47:47 AM »
I have paid approx 260$ for a pair of good quality hiking boots that will last for years. The boots should at least last for many years if they cost that much.

I even once paid a large sum for some fancy lady's shoes, also counting that I will use them occasionally for the next 10-15 years. That was probably an outrageous expanse, but at least I still like them, 7-8 years later.

I don't budget. As long as you think carefully about what you will spend on, and you spend within your means, you don't need a budget. I did however make a cost overview when we did something expensive, like renovating the main bathroom in our previous house. We did everything ourselves, but we still wanted to know how much it would cost. So we made come guesses for the prices of tiles, toilet, bath tube, faucets etc. And we did indeed end up on the expected amount, even though the money want spent differently within the categories.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »
I don't budget. As long as you think carefully about what you will spend on, and you spend within your means, you don't need a budget. I did however make a cost overview when we did something expensive, like renovating the main bathroom in our previous house. We did everything ourselves, but we still wanted to know how much it would cost. So we made come guesses for the prices of tiles, toilet, bath tube, faucets etc. And we did indeed end up on the expected amount, even though the money want spent differently within the categories.

Thanks for the response!

I do totally agree that I shouldn't NEED a budget. And I don't for other expenses to be honest. We do use YNAB, but for us not really for budgeting, more to arrange the money we have and incoming money into categories as I like the overview. So it's not just a total sum of money but I know (roughly) what it's for. And I like going through the details/expenses/income and make listings and stuff like that.. ;)

For clothing it's different, I do spend within my means but I don't think that is enough. I want to spend less than I do now as I just don't need to spend a lot. I agree it is my mindset that should change but I hope this will help..

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
My favorite baseball team made the playoffs! This is unusual. I've been wanting a cap with their logo for a few years, and I told myself I'd buy a commemorative one the next time they made the playoffs. So I did. I can't wait for it to arrive! I ended up getting the cheapest one, though that was more coincidence than anything...

On the money saving side, I fixed a work shirt that wasn't looking so good anymore. It has a faux leather collar, and the material was starting to peel off. I tore off all the flaking faux leather to reveal plain black cloth underneath. The leather was a cool detail when it was new, but you wouldn't miss anything looking at the new version. It's one of my favorites so I'm glad it was salvageable!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2019, 04:04:40 AM »
I couldnt go any longer and had to buy two pairs of shoes. One pair of steel toes and one walking shoes as my others ones are walked out. For the year though i have done exceptionally well and in fact put a bag together yesterday of stuff I am getting rid of.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2019, 04:30:52 AM »
Spent so far on clothes in 2019: 308 euro.

That sounds like a lot and the amount scared me a bit. Luckily I also sent some things back to Zalando that didn't fit well. The obvious big posts are: a new winter coat for the time in 7-8? years, a new pair of low hiking shoes for daily use, a new fleece sweater and new bra. And the new pair of jeans at the beginning of this year. I have used that jeans a lot.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2019, 08:35:24 AM »
I made my first real clothing purchases for the year over the weekend. I am pursuing getting a new job in a different (read: more formal) industry, and needed some business casual/dressier clothing for job interviews. Last time I had an interview in the Spring I had to scramble to figure out what to wear, because I literally wear mostly running shorts/athletic apparel to my current job, so I don't keep much formal wear!

I committed this year (and honestly probably for the rest of my life) to only buying used apparel (with the exception of perhaps a new piece of specific outdoor gear like a ski shell, etc) and so far that has been easy to do! I decided to spend a day at various thrift stores, and ended up purchasing several outfits worth of gently used (and super cheap) more formal apparel. I spent less than $100 on about 15 pieces of J.Crew, Banana Republic and Ann Taylor business casual-ish clothing...way out of my comfort zone of clothing, but I actually like the idea of dressing up a bit, and am way less stressed about preparing for what to wear to upcoming interviews. I also ordered a few things very cheaply from Ebay, once I knew the styles/sizes I liked in different brands after trying things on.

I also had zero dressy shoes, as in...I own snow boots, running shoes, and chaco sandals. So I did purchase 2 new pairs of shoes, that are comfortable for my destroyed feet, but also job interview appropriate. So that was another $120. I would love to buy used shoes, but I wear a size 11, and need a specific type of shoe (narrow, with cushion because of joint pain) so it's literally impossible to find those used, except from time to time on Ebay.

Total for the year is about $250, mostly from this weekend.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: October 21, 2019, 09:37:14 AM »
Had a pretty big fail this weekend.

I went to a clothing store this weekend that I've heard good things about - that their pieces are high quality, last a long time, and are produced sustainably (well, as sustainably as fashion can be mass produced). I went with black jeans in mind. I wear them to work all the time, and the ones I have are already patched and a little tight at the waist nowadays.

Sadly, the black jeans didn't fit me. But a beautiful cashmere sweater caught my eye. I've never seen anything quite like it. It's a simple solid color, but a dark mustard I've never really seen before. I tried it on "for fun" and it honestly looked like it was made for me. It fit just right and the color really suits me. Without thinking much about it, I bought it. $100. Ouch.

It is really high quality, so I plan to take care of it and wear it a long time. And it is still a work purchase. I'm wearing it there today (with the black jeans I was hoping to replace...). But definitely not a necessary purchase. This is why I should browse clothing stores! But I find it hard to shop online because I'm picky about fit and would end up needing to go through a bunch of returns before finding the one keeper.

I thought about returning it, but I honestly didn't want to. I haven't bought any other unnecessary clothing all year, and even with this purchase, I'm under $300 for 2019. But I am going to try to make this my only clothing indulgence for a while. Or at least keep the shopping to thrift stores for a while so it's not as costly when temptation strikes...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2019, 06:41:52 AM »
I ordered a sweatpants to use for yoga for $30. I did yoga for a few months last summer, in short tights. Now in the winter I used long running tights, but they were not as comfortable as I hoped. They sag. My running tights are a hand down from DH for whom they didn't fit well.

The sweatpants had a lot of discount because of black friday, starting long before the actual date. I fell for also buying a woolen hat with 70% discount.
I hope both products fit, otherwise I will just send them back.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2019, 08:15:40 AM »
I just spent a ton of money on new clothes for my rapidly growing 11 year old.  She's as tall as many adult women but extremely skinny with no hips or boobs (because she's 11).  She likes practical no-nonsense clothes and all of her last year winter clothes are too small and I stupidly dry cleaned her winter jacket from last year so it shrank.  We don't get any hand me downs for her because, at this age, kids tend to wear through things.  Also she's the tallest of all her friends and we've only found one brand that carries her size (extremely tall and extremely skinny).

We got 3 pairs of jeans, 4 shirts, one dress, a pair of short rain boots, underwear, a jacket, a metal thermos for school (her school has gone "no plastic")  and a new rain/winter jacket - around Euro 200 total. 

Luckily her younger sister is constantly swamped in hand me downs so all we had to buy her was new underwear. 

I'm eyeing a new rain jacket from a certain high quality brand for myself.  I've had the last one for about 8 years and wear it to death and, unfortunately, the sleeves are wearing through.  I want to buy one exactly the same but a different pattern for Euro 125 but I might wait a bit to see if it goes in sale after Christmas.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:17:22 AM by Hula Hoop »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2019, 12:39:16 PM »
I'm eyeing a new rain jacket from a certain high quality brand for myself.  I've had the last one for about 8 years and wear it to death and, unfortunately, the sleeves are wearing through.  I want to buy one exactly the same but a different pattern for Euro 125 but I might wait a bit to see if it goes in sale after Christmas.

Black Friday, after Christmas/end of the winter season or at the beginning of the new season, last year's model.

Preferably you should also be flexible in brand and color, as long as the size fits. Just buy what is on sale.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:44:07 PM by Linea_Norway »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2019, 01:09:50 PM »

Black Friday, after Christmas/end of the winter season or at the beginning of the new season, last year's model.

Preferably you should also be flexible in brand and color, as long as the size fits. Just buy what is on sale.

That's my plan - either black Friday (so hilarious that this is a 'thing' here in Europe since they don't even celebrate Thanksgiving here so what's the point?) or post-Xmas. 

I'm flexible on color but not brand as this raincoat was just the bees knees - really good quality.  I find that if I buy unknown brands for cheap it often turns out to be fast fashion junk.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »

That's my plan - either black Friday (so hilarious that this is a 'thing' here in Europe since they don't even celebrate Thanksgiving here so what's the point?) or post-Xmas. 

Black Friday became a "thing" here in Canada 4 or 5 years ago, even though Canadian Thanksgiving is in October. It doesn't make sense here either!

Just found this thread. I stumbled on MMM's blog about six months ago, so I suppose my challenge started then. Haven't bought any clothes since July, other than a pair of running shoes to replace a worn-out pair (I run half marathons so I go through runners fast). I'll see how long I can hold out - avoiding the fancy mall under my office and the main shopping street in my city has been effective so far.