Author Topic: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019  (Read 755 times)

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019
« on: January 02, 2019, 02:17:23 AM »
After a successful thread in 2018, we need a new clothes-thread in 2019. Don't buy clothes that you don't need!

I only intend to buy clothes to replace some garment that is worn through. I will not fall for the temptation to buy extra unnecessary clothes when I spot them in a shop. Also, I only intend to buy replacement clothes on sale.

former player

• Magnum Stache
Re: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 04:16:03 AM »
I'm in. It will be interesting to see whether a second year of tracking will be different from the first.   Boots/shoes may be an issue this year.

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 11:46:10 AM »
I failed badly in 2018, so I'm jumping back in for 2019. I will only buy the following and only if I really need them:
-new running shoes if my current shoes need to be replaced (have 1 pair each currently, road and trail)
-sports bras, if I get below 3 that are functional for running (currently have 4)
-regular bras if I get below 3 that are wearable (shouldn't happen unless I lose substantial weight, I have 5 currently)
-direct replacement of a worn out/sized out staple (I keep min. 2 pair jeans for instance, both are new-ish so unlikely again unless I lose weight)

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 01:30:36 PM »
I also failed miserably last year! Just looked at my clothes/shoes spending for 2018 and I did not like the numbers, so I'm in. I'm hoping to limit spending to:
-replacements of undergarments (including camisoles and tights) as needed
-two pairs of summer shorts if needed
-two summer tops/t-shirts as needed

I donated all of my shorts and most of my summer tops in October because they were fitting poorly and looking worn. I'm going to try to get by with sun dresses as long as possible this year, but summer is a beast in Texas. That's truly all I could possibly need, but I know I'll probably want more. I'm also limiting my shopping to April and August. If I need something, it'll go on a list until one of those months and I'll do something else until. This should keep me out of stores and websites to avoid temptation. Off to unsubscribe from all the emails. 

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »
Ugh, I am reluctantly doing this. I likely have things I've outgrown and need to do a closet re-boot so I reserve the right to replace things that wear out, fall apart, or that I've completely outgrown but need. I dread trying on all my pants... I had hip surgery in 2018 and I'm just not able to be as active as I was pre-surgery.

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »
I'm in!  I enjoyed the 2018 challenge and significantly reduced my clothes spending.

Known purchases for 2019:

2-3 bras (I only have 2 right now and they're on their last legs)
2 pairs of hiking pants (what I wear for work all summer, and my current 2 pairs are several years old and getting worn)
good walking shoes for my trip to Europe

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 12:54:58 AM »
Last year I spent only 780 Norwegian Crowns on clothes, roughly 80 dollars. I bought the following:
- a pair of hiking shoes to repair a pair with a hole in it. The shop gave me back the money for the old defective pair.
- a pair of cross-country skiing gloves, to replace my old pair with holes in the fingertips.
- 3 undies

I also bought 2 x 3 pairs of socks in a grocery store, but the price of those is registered as "food". lso those were to replace socks with holes in them.

My DH likes to sew clothes and made me several garments in 2018. I don't count that on my clothes budget, because it is done as a hobby thing by him. He chooses what he makes.

Yesterday I sent an order on Zalando. I ordered a pair of slippers to replace the pair with holes at our cabin. They are on sale of course.
I also ordered a pair of trousers, which is scary to buy online. But you can send it back for free. One of my favorite pairs is having a hole between the thighs. Before the summer I patched it on the inside and wore the trousers some months longer. But now I can see through it, just beside the patch. The cloth is just getting very thin. Therefore, a new pair. The Zalando trousers are cheap. I hope that they fit, as I have a very difficult body figure for trousers (wide hips, but narrow middle).

I also need to replace one of my long-sleeved woolen undershirts, as one of them has many holes in the arms. It is my favorite that I always wear when cross-country skiing. I can wait until there is mega sale on woolen under garments.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:00:43 AM »
I'm in!  I enjoyed the 2018 challenge and significantly reduced my clothes spending.

2-3 bras (I only have 2 right now and they're on their last legs)
2 pairs of hiking pants (what I wear for work all summer, and my current 2 pairs are several years old and getting worn)
good walking shoes for my trip to Europe

Oh, this is a good idea! I know the winter boots that I wear every day from October through sometimes April (Minnesota) are probably on their last winter, so in the fall, will likely need to replace. I got them via eBay for like $80 vs. buying new for $160, though. Would likely do that again. And I recently discovered three dress shirts that I've been wearing since 2009 are getting threadbare. I've taken to wearing a "uniform" for work of jeans, button-down dress shirt, and cardigan, so those will probably need to get replaced at some point, too. But I did recently discover that I stockpiled two of my favorite bra, which the company stopped making! So, that's a win. Unfortunately, I also discovered my favorite long underwear shirt has some major holes in the sleeve. Am going to attempt a repair. I need to get better about repairing/patching things instead of replacing with fast fashion.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 07:35:08 AM »
I am a bit tired of my winter coat, as it is now in it's 7th winter, I think. But it still in a good condition and very functional, so I can't put myself into replacing it. Of course, I bought it on sale in the first place, at the end of the season.

mountain mustache

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 07:35:36 AM »
I'm in for this one! I don't buy a lot of clothing regularly, but I feel like last year I really "stocked up" during some good sales and I am mostly set for a long time.

- new winter boots. Mine are no longer warm or waterproof, which I found out 2 days ago when we got 10 inches of snow!
- a pair of nice jeans. I don't own any jeans, I've always hated them. But I really want a pair. So I am on the hunt for a nice, perfectly fitting pair.

I think that's it so far!

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 08:16:01 AM »
I'm in too!

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with my second, due March 20th. I'm going to be all sorts of sizes throughout the year, and I don't want to buy new clothes to fit any interim shape I'm at.

I already have plenty of maternity clothes, and my SIL has recently passed on a ton of shorts and shirts she doesn't want anymore, so I need to downsize, honestly. I am definitely aiming to buy any clothes I DO need second hand, even nursing bras if they're available on fb or something.

I'm open to buying :
New nursing bras
Maybe a new nursing top
Replacing any garments that break /wear out that I don't already have a replacement for or duplicate of
A new bathing suit if my boobs don't fit in my current one anymore :)

zygote

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »
I'm in!

I felt like I didn't buy very many clothes last year, but I still managed to spend $65/month according to YNAB. And the closet that I cleared out a year ago is starting to get too full again. Some of the purchases really were necessary because old staples wore out or didn't fit right anymore, but I still have more sweaters than any one human who lives south of Canada needs. I really have plenty of everything. So I'd rather focus on wearing the clothes I have than searching for new ones.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 08:18:04 AM »
I'm in for this one! I don't buy a lot of clothing regularly, but I feel like last year I really "stocked up" during some good sales and I am mostly set for a long time.

- new winter boots. Mine are no longer warm or waterproof, which I found out 2 days ago when we got 10 inches of snow!
- a pair of nice jeans. I don't own any jeans, I've always hated them. But I really want a pair. So I am on the hunt for a nice, perfectly fitting pair.

I think that's it so far!

Are you female? I love the jeans from American Eagle. I know that sounds like a store that's only for teenagers, but I'm a 37 year old and I love their skinny jeans. They have a perfect amount of stretch. They have regular skinny jeans, high-waisted, and what they call "skinny kick" which have a slight boot: https://www.ae.com/women-skinny-jeans/web/s-cat/1990002?icid=ae:women:bottoms:jeans:jean_guide:skinny:shop_now I love the Next Level Skinny ones, and I have 3 pairs that I cycle through: https://www.ae.com/women-ae-ne-x-t-level-skinny-jean-dark-cerulean/web/s-prod/0432_1544_982?cm=sUS-cUSD&catId=cat8620054

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 02:44:39 PM »
I'm in with a few known caveats:

I know I need running shoes and socks (I'm an endurance athlete).

I have a really big race coming up in May. I will probably buy a t shirt and a finisher's jacket and whatever else I feel like.

I also may need a new pair of khakis.

I think that is about it!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 08:26:32 AM »
I just bought my replacement trousers, with 50% discount. I did not look around in the rest of the shop, or rest of the shopping center.

I threw away my old trousers with hole.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 05:42:01 AM »
I'm in!  Thanks for the thread @Linda_Norway!

Me:  51y.o. professional, FIREing this year.  As soon as I pull the plug (hopefully at the end of this month) I'm going to give away my office-work clothes, which will leave me with my minimalist every day wardrobe.  I only buy clothes when something wears out to the point I can't mend it.  I spent $0 on clothes last year.

Known needs in 2019:  one pair of casual, every day shoes, and maybe 6 pair of underwear.   Possibly a pair of gardening/farm work pants.  My current farm-work jeans are getting pretty ragged.  I think I can get all three of these things for under $150, budgeting for new shoes, new underwear, and a used pair of pants.     

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 08:49:18 AM »

Me:  51y.o. professional, FIREing this year.  As soon as I pull the plug (hopefully at the end of this month) I'm going to give away my office-work clothes, which will leave me with my minimalist every day wardrobe.  I only buy clothes when something wears out to the point I can't mend it.  I spent $0 on clothes last year.

Known needs in 2019:  one pair of casual, every day shoes, and maybe 6 pair of underwear.   Possibly a pair of gardening/farm work pants.  My current farm-work jeans are getting pretty ragged.  I think I can get all three of these things for under $150, budgeting for new shoes, new underwear, and a used pair of pants.   

Welcome.
It might be a good symbolic thing to do to give away your working clothes. But I have noticed that sometimes, you still need decent clothes, even if not working. Think of a funeral or even visiting your GP. I feel a bit uncomfortable if I would only have my outdoor/freetime clothes available.
But maybe you could get another outfit forvthose occasions that is not a professional power-woman outfit. You are a woman, I hope?

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 09:48:08 AM »

Welcome.
It might be a good symbolic thing to do to give away your working clothes. But I have noticed that sometimes, you still need decent clothes, even if not working. Think of a funeral or even visiting your GP. I feel a bit uncomfortable if I would only have my outdoor/freetime clothes available.
But maybe you could get another outfit forvthose occasions that is not a professional power-woman outfit. You are a woman, I hope?

Yep, woman.  :) And absolutely, I agree -- I'll give away the power stuff that I definitely won't use, and keep a few things for dressing up a bit nicer. 

Brother Esau

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 07:01:33 PM »
Thanks for posting this Linda! I was successful in '18 at spending $0 on clothes. This year however, I have to replace some things that are wearing out. I will follow your lead and look for things on sale.

Tabitha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »
Iím in.

Iíve been weeding out unworn and unloved clothes lately, but thereís still enough left Iím definitely okay for leisure and should be mostly okay for work.

I have two knit work jackets that are picked that I will be trying to rescue. If not successful I will have to replace one.