Author Topic: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019  (Read 29419 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019
« on: January 02, 2019, 02:17:23 AM »
After a successful thread in 2018, we need a new clothes-thread in 2019. Don't buy clothes that you don't need!

I only intend to buy clothes to replace some garment that is worn through. I will not fall for the temptation to buy extra unnecessary clothes when I spot them in a shop. Also, I only intend to buy replacement clothes on sale.

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 04:16:03 AM »
I'm in. It will be interesting to see whether a second year of tracking will be different from the first.   Boots/shoes may be an issue this year.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 11:46:10 AM »
I failed badly in 2018, so I'm jumping back in for 2019. I will only buy the following and only if I really need them:
-new running shoes if my current shoes need to be replaced (have 1 pair each currently, road and trail)
-sports bras, if I get below 3 that are functional for running (currently have 4)
-regular bras if I get below 3 that are wearable (shouldn't happen unless I lose substantial weight, I have 5 currently)
-direct replacement of a worn out/sized out staple (I keep min. 2 pair jeans for instance, both are new-ish so unlikely again unless I lose weight)

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 01:30:36 PM »
I also failed miserably last year! Just looked at my clothes/shoes spending for 2018 and I did not like the numbers, so I'm in. I'm hoping to limit spending to:
-replacements of undergarments (including camisoles and tights) as needed
-two pairs of summer shorts if needed
-two summer tops/t-shirts as needed

I donated all of my shorts and most of my summer tops in October because they were fitting poorly and looking worn. I'm going to try to get by with sun dresses as long as possible this year, but summer is a beast in Texas. That's truly all I could possibly need, but I know I'll probably want more. I'm also limiting my shopping to April and August. If I need something, it'll go on a list until one of those months and I'll do something else until. This should keep me out of stores and websites to avoid temptation. Off to unsubscribe from all the emails. 

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »
Ugh, I am reluctantly doing this. I likely have things I've outgrown and need to do a closet re-boot so I reserve the right to replace things that wear out, fall apart, or that I've completely outgrown but need. I dread trying on all my pants... I had hip surgery in 2018 and I'm just not able to be as active as I was pre-surgery.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »
I'm in!  I enjoyed the 2018 challenge and significantly reduced my clothes spending.

Known purchases for 2019:

2-3 bras (I only have 2 right now and they're on their last legs)
2 pairs of hiking pants (what I wear for work all summer, and my current 2 pairs are several years old and getting worn)
good walking shoes for my trip to Europe

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 12:54:58 AM »
Last year I spent only 780 Norwegian Crowns on clothes, roughly 80 dollars. I bought the following:
- a pair of hiking shoes to repair a pair with a hole in it. The shop gave me back the money for the old defective pair.
- a pair of cross-country skiing gloves, to replace my old pair with holes in the fingertips.
- 3 undies

I also bought 2 x 3 pairs of socks in a grocery store, but the price of those is registered as "food". lso those were to replace socks with holes in them.

My DH likes to sew clothes and made me several garments in 2018. I don't count that on my clothes budget, because it is done as a hobby thing by him. He chooses what he makes.

Yesterday I sent an order on Zalando. I ordered a pair of slippers to replace the pair with holes at our cabin. They are on sale of course.
I also ordered a pair of trousers, which is scary to buy online. But you can send it back for free. One of my favorite pairs is having a hole between the thighs. Before the summer I patched it on the inside and wore the trousers some months longer. But now I can see through it, just beside the patch. The cloth is just getting very thin. Therefore, a new pair. The Zalando trousers are cheap. I hope that they fit, as I have a very difficult body figure for trousers (wide hips, but narrow middle).

I also need to replace one of my long-sleeved woolen undershirts, as one of them has many holes in the arms. It is my favorite that I always wear when cross-country skiing. I can wait until there is mega sale on woolen under garments.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:00:43 AM »
I'm in!  I enjoyed the 2018 challenge and significantly reduced my clothes spending.

2-3 bras (I only have 2 right now and they're on their last legs)
2 pairs of hiking pants (what I wear for work all summer, and my current 2 pairs are several years old and getting worn)
good walking shoes for my trip to Europe

Oh, this is a good idea! I know the winter boots that I wear every day from October through sometimes April (Minnesota) are probably on their last winter, so in the fall, will likely need to replace. I got them via eBay for like $80 vs. buying new for $160, though. Would likely do that again. And I recently discovered three dress shirts that I've been wearing since 2009 are getting threadbare. I've taken to wearing a "uniform" for work of jeans, button-down dress shirt, and cardigan, so those will probably need to get replaced at some point, too. But I did recently discover that I stockpiled two of my favorite bra, which the company stopped making! So, that's a win. Unfortunately, I also discovered my favorite long underwear shirt has some major holes in the sleeve. Am going to attempt a repair. I need to get better about repairing/patching things instead of replacing with fast fashion.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 07:35:08 AM »
I am a bit tired of my winter coat, as it is now in it's 7th winter, I think. But it still in a good condition and very functional, so I can't put myself into replacing it. Of course, I bought it on sale in the first place, at the end of the season.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 07:35:36 AM »
I'm in for this one! I don't buy a lot of clothing regularly, but I feel like last year I really "stocked up" during some good sales and I am mostly set for a long time.

- new winter boots. Mine are no longer warm or waterproof, which I found out 2 days ago when we got 10 inches of snow!
- a pair of nice jeans. I don't own any jeans, I've always hated them. But I really want a pair. So I am on the hunt for a nice, perfectly fitting pair.

I think that's it so far!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 08:16:01 AM »
I'm in too!

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with my second, due March 20th. I'm going to be all sorts of sizes throughout the year, and I don't want to buy new clothes to fit any interim shape I'm at.

I already have plenty of maternity clothes, and my SIL has recently passed on a ton of shorts and shirts she doesn't want anymore, so I need to downsize, honestly. I am definitely aiming to buy any clothes I DO need second hand, even nursing bras if they're available on fb or something.

I'm open to buying :
New nursing bras
Maybe a new nursing top
Replacing any garments that break /wear out that I don't already have a replacement for or duplicate of
A new bathing suit if my boobs don't fit in my current one anymore :)

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »
I'm in!

I felt like I didn't buy very many clothes last year, but I still managed to spend $65/month according to YNAB. And the closet that I cleared out a year ago is starting to get too full again. Some of the purchases really were necessary because old staples wore out or didn't fit right anymore, but I still have more sweaters than any one human who lives south of Canada needs. I really have plenty of everything. So I'd rather focus on wearing the clothes I have than searching for new ones.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 08:18:04 AM »
I'm in for this one! I don't buy a lot of clothing regularly, but I feel like last year I really "stocked up" during some good sales and I am mostly set for a long time.

- new winter boots. Mine are no longer warm or waterproof, which I found out 2 days ago when we got 10 inches of snow!
- a pair of nice jeans. I don't own any jeans, I've always hated them. But I really want a pair. So I am on the hunt for a nice, perfectly fitting pair.

I think that's it so far!

Are you female? I love the jeans from American Eagle. I know that sounds like a store that's only for teenagers, but I'm a 37 year old and I love their skinny jeans. They have a perfect amount of stretch. They have regular skinny jeans, high-waisted, and what they call "skinny kick" which have a slight boot: https://www.ae.com/women-skinny-jeans/web/s-cat/1990002?icid=ae:women:bottoms:jeans:jean_guide:skinny:shop_now I love the Next Level Skinny ones, and I have 3 pairs that I cycle through: https://www.ae.com/women-ae-ne-x-t-level-skinny-jean-dark-cerulean/web/s-prod/0432_1544_982?cm=sUS-cUSD&catId=cat8620054

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 02:44:39 PM »
I'm in with a few known caveats:

I know I need running shoes and socks (I'm an endurance athlete).

I have a really big race coming up in May. I will probably buy a t shirt and a finisher's jacket and whatever else I feel like.

I also may need a new pair of khakis.

I think that is about it!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 08:26:32 AM »
I just bought my replacement trousers, with 50% discount. I did not look around in the rest of the shop, or rest of the shopping center.

I threw away my old trousers with hole.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 05:42:01 AM »
I'm in!  Thanks for the thread @Linda_Norway!

Me:  51y.o. professional, FIREing this year.  As soon as I pull the plug (hopefully at the end of this month) I'm going to give away my office-work clothes, which will leave me with my minimalist every day wardrobe.  I only buy clothes when something wears out to the point I can't mend it.  I spent $0 on clothes last year.

Known needs in 2019:  one pair of casual, every day shoes, and maybe 6 pair of underwear.   Possibly a pair of gardening/farm work pants.  My current farm-work jeans are getting pretty ragged.  I think I can get all three of these things for under $150, budgeting for new shoes, new underwear, and a used pair of pants.     

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 08:49:18 AM »

Me:  51y.o. professional, FIREing this year.  As soon as I pull the plug (hopefully at the end of this month) I'm going to give away my office-work clothes, which will leave me with my minimalist every day wardrobe.  I only buy clothes when something wears out to the point I can't mend it.  I spent $0 on clothes last year.

Known needs in 2019:  one pair of casual, every day shoes, and maybe 6 pair of underwear.   Possibly a pair of gardening/farm work pants.  My current farm-work jeans are getting pretty ragged.  I think I can get all three of these things for under $150, budgeting for new shoes, new underwear, and a used pair of pants.   

Welcome.
It might be a good symbolic thing to do to give away your working clothes. But I have noticed that sometimes, you still need decent clothes, even if not working. Think of a funeral or even visiting your GP. I feel a bit uncomfortable if I would only have my outdoor/freetime clothes available.
But maybe you could get another outfit forvthose occasions that is not a professional power-woman outfit. You are a woman, I hope?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 09:48:08 AM »

Welcome.
It might be a good symbolic thing to do to give away your working clothes. But I have noticed that sometimes, you still need decent clothes, even if not working. Think of a funeral or even visiting your GP. I feel a bit uncomfortable if I would only have my outdoor/freetime clothes available.
But maybe you could get another outfit forvthose occasions that is not a professional power-woman outfit. You are a woman, I hope?

Yep, woman.  :) And absolutely, I agree -- I'll give away the power stuff that I definitely won't use, and keep a few things for dressing up a bit nicer. 

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 07:01:33 PM »
Thanks for posting this Linda! I was successful in '18 at spending $0 on clothes. This year however, I have to replace some things that are wearing out. I will follow your lead and look for things on sale.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »
I’m in.

I’ve been weeding out unworn and unloved clothes lately, but there’s still enough left I’m definitely okay for leisure and should be mostly okay for work.

I have two knit work jackets that are picked that I will be trying to rescue. If not successful I will have to replace one.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 07:05:47 AM »

Yesterday I sent an order on Zalando. I ordered a pair of slippers to replace the pair with holes at our cabin. They are on sale of course.
I also ordered a pair of trousers, which is scary to buy online. But you can send it back for free. One of my favorite pairs is having a hole between the thighs. Before the summer I patched it on the inside and wore the trousers some months longer. But now I can see through it, just beside the patch. The cloth is just getting very thin. Therefore, a new pair. The Zalando trousers are cheap. I hope that they fit, as I have a very difficult body figure for trousers (wide hips, but narrow middle).

I also need to replace one of my long-sleeved woolen undershirts, as one of them has many holes in the arms. It is my favorite that I always wear when cross-country skiing. I can wait until there is mega sale on woolen under garments.

Status: I ordered that pair of trousers on Zalando, but ended up sending it back. Every wrinkle in it was very well visible, because the cloth had vertical stripes. Even though the size fitted perfectly, I sent back. Then I ordered another pair, similar wide legs, same size, but different producer and very cheap. I received it yesterday. This time the same size was way too big and I should have ordered a size smaller. We also thought it was not worth it trying to fix it. So this is also sent back. And I learned 2 lessons:
  • Don't buy trousers online
  • I didn't really needed that second pair either.

So I won't try again and do with the trousers I already have.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 10:41:30 AM »
I have bought nothing yet this year! Last year I bought nothing until mid-March when I totally went off the rails and bought all kinds of running clothes. It just got worse from then on the rest of the year. On the upside, I did enough of a wardrobe refresh last year that I should be entirely set for this year and beyond, aside from replacing worn items like running shoes/sports bras on a limited as-needed basis. There is no need yet. We are skiing next month but rather than buy new ski pants (my "fat" ones need to be repaired and aren't very waterproof, and my "skinny" ones don't fit) I'll borrow from my co-worker again.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 01:14:05 AM »
I'm also in! I was in the no clothes shopping last year but failed in the last month (..) when I bought a coat and it spiraled from there. I bought some other things as well and think I will be good for this year apart from the necessary replacements I need to make.

Things I will definitely need:
- Sandals - are falling apart
- Good (ankle) boots - not easy to find good vegan durable nice boots, suitable for work but also good for walking a whole day. So if I find some I will go for it. My pair I have are 5+ years old and I could use some even if these will last longer than I think
- Flowy pair of 'summer' pants/trousers - black - suitable for work but also loungy enough to wear anywhere else - I had/have some but those have a tear on the butt area that can not be fixed good enough to still be sfw

Things I will definitely NOT need:
- Other shoes - including running shoes - already bought two pairs on extreme sale, so I'm good
- Jeans/other pants than mentioned
- Jackets/coats
- Work-out clothes
- Basic shirts

As I love secondhand shopping and was not able to do this last year I will cut myself some slack if I buy something secondhand from a thriftshop BUT I have to actually love it, need to be able/want to wear it 30+ times and it should be cheapo. I will not be on the lookout for stuff to add though, but on the occasion I bump into something or my mum directs me to something she noticed or something like that. So also no second hand clothes shopping online!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 05:56:37 AM »
I'm in too.  I did pretty well last year compared to my usual.

For me - I need some new undershirts that I'll buy in the sales that are on right now.  In the summer I need a new neutral colored pencil skirt for work and new neutral t-shirts.

For older kid - she needs some warm slippers as she grew out of her last ones and maybe more socks and leggings.  She also probably needs some more sandals this summer as her feet are growing really fast.

Younger kid - has a billion hand me downs so doesn't need any clothes ever.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 06:44:48 AM »
Yesterday I was in a grocery store with sales and got 4 pairs of normal socks for low price.

This morning I wanted to put on my woolen undershirt that has some small holes in it. I put it on really carefully, but I tore a big whole in it. Now it is in the garage to become a cleaning cloth.
This type of shirt is still too expensive to replace. I need to wait for sale at the end of the winter.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:02:57 AM by Linda_Norway »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 07:39:18 AM »
I think that I am going to try this challenge. 
I have been building up a work wardrobe and adjusting to a changing body shape. I am accepting this middle aged shape that I am.  Recently my feet have increased a full size so that I can't wear any footwear that is more than six years old.  All my good dress up shoes are more than six years old so if I need to go to a wedding or a funeral, I have nothing to put on my feet. Or wear a skirt to a presentation. Fortunately my daughter fits these beautiful shoes so she is getting some wear out of them.

2018 was a high clothing spending year because I bought a number of dressier items for work on really hot days to be comfortable and replaced a number of shoes and boots that had worn out beyond repair.  I was going to buy a new wool coat this fall but didn't find one that fit my shoulders well.  I am almost to the point that I don't need more clothes that fit - I just need to replace things that I wear out and can't repair.  It was very challenging during the spring to have three meetings with the same group and have three different outfits to wear on back to back days.  My clothes also need to be a sort of costume to help me overcome the imposter syndrome that I sometimes have.  As a small stature woman, the only person of my discipline, standing up in a meeting of two dozen or so grey haired men to say something they don't really want to hear, I need the confidence booster that I look well put together when all those eyes turn my way when I say 'wait a minute'.  I would like to be over that but I am not and may never be.  So a well cut jacket and some new shoes are always going to be my armour for these situations.

Last week I replaced some indoor work shoes and added four pairs of wool socks.  They have been keeping my feet warm in cold offices.  The shoes make my feet look very thin - even though they fit beautifully and I wore them all day Wednesday for hard meetings and giving a presentation.

Besides a new wool coat, I would like to get a dress for winter, some dress winter shoes and replace my aging knit cotton turtlenecks. 

Up until now I have never really planned clothing purchases - they have been quite random and sometimes very spendy.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 11:06:23 AM »
It really pays off to wait for a sales. So if you think you will need some funeral shoes later in the year, then grab your chance if you notice anything suitable on cheap sales. Better than having to buy them the day before the funeral at full price.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2019, 03:16:01 AM »
I'm definitely in on this. I am all about thrifty when it comes to clothes as I am pretty much a jean and flannel shirt guy or T-shirts in the summer and shorts. So my stuff really lasts along time. Plus Christmas is usually when we pickup most things as people/family ask for what we need. So i too have plenty of time waiting for sales. I also check out thrift stores first. I did buy 2 things this year but really dont see needing anything else in the future any time soon other than workout shoes every 4-6 months. I bout one pair of black Jeans for under 20$ and a pack of white socks for under 10$ i dont think I had a pair that didnt have a hole in them. So about 30$ on for the year. But again , I dont see needing anything for a loooonnnngggg time!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2019, 03:34:47 AM »
Unfortunately, I need to look 'put together' at work too and am also in the situation of being one of very few women in my field.  Luckily for me I'm really tall so I'm often as tall or taller than the gray haired men but it's still hard sometimes.  My solution is to wear lots of jackets and kind of a "uniform".  In the summer, shift dresses every day with a necklace.  In the winter, either a pencil skirt or dress pants with a jacket plus a plain t-shirt underneath.  Sometimes a wool cardigan.  Always a necklace.  I've built up my wardrobe over many years and I find that these kinds of clothes don't "date".  I have around 7-8 necklaces that I wear all the time and several of them are from the 90s.

outdoorsyfreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 06:11:21 AM »
I’m in. I spent way too much money on clothes last year and would definitely like to reign that in, and I think that this accountability will help.
Some thing I know I’ll need:
-a new pair of hiking boots
-a pair of dress shoes for my sister’s wedding
-a couple new bras

Some things I definitely don’t need:
- swimwear - this is a weakness of mine and I have way too many for how often I use them
-boots - same as above
-work clothes - i stocked up last year so shouldn’t need to replace this year
-work out clothes

Hoping I can stick to it!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2019, 06:26:48 AM »
Thanks for starting the thread Linda!!!! I don't plan to buy any clothes this year but I want to stick around here with you guys. So far I have thrown out the jeans with the hole (it got worse because my toe got stuck while putting them on) and one sweater that had an intractable stain on the sleeve.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2019, 11:05:45 AM »
Today I got a new goretex jacket. I didn't need it yet, but DH wanted to sew me one. So now I have it, homesewn. Not on my clothes budget. Cost 60-70 euros.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2019, 05:05:41 PM »
Yeah, I think I need this.

We went over our spending for last year, and my spending on clothes was  . . . too much.  It really is because I just like clothes. I like interesting colors and patterns and shapes. And being plus size, I remember a time when I had very, very few options in clothes, which is much less true now.

Still, I have all the clothes I need.  I may literally have all the dresses I need for the rest of my life. I recently bought some higher quality jeans and casual pants to replace a pants-mageddon wherein all my jeans died at once.  I also invested in some good quality socks, snow boots, snow pants, and waterproof gloves.  Those were all needs, and I bought quality in hopes I will not need to replace them for a long time (ever?).

But, that really should be it.  The only other things are even marginally acceptable would be 2 to 3 bras and black tights next fall.  And maybe one pair of sandals and one pair of sneakers in the summer. 

And, I'm this close to getting carried away with the exceptions.  Call it OMT (One More Thing) instead of OMY.

Hooboy, the gauntlet is thrown.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 01:22:05 PM »
Got through the weekend without buying any clothes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 05:44:35 AM »
I like this one!

So far, I need:
-Black dress shoes (my favorites finally wore out last year after more than a decade)
-A uniform concert dress for my choir (must purchase in time for next month's concert)

I'm expecting to need (at some point in 2019):
-Sneakers
-A couple of bras
-Underwear
-Maybe a couple of T-shirts (I have a couple with little wear holes that need to be retired to home use only)

I like clothes, but everything else is a want.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 06:00:55 AM »
My new trousers (bought on sale a few weeks ago) have an effect. Two people at work have commented on them and telling me I look good in them. The trousers are stretchy, blue jeans. I think I have been walking around in the same old trousers for so long that people really notice it when I wear something new. ;-)

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 06:05:19 AM »
I'm in. Of course, half my clothes are more than 15 years old, so there's that. I hate buying new clothes. But... with the new job, I have to get some nicer stuff, so I'll commit to only getting the minimum and going the least expensive route to get what I need to look appropriately professional.

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 08:38:54 AM »
I'm in as well.  I did a lot of shopping last year because I outgrew a lot of clothes that had previously fit well, and I started a new customer facing job with a higher standard of dress.  However, I know have a fully outfitted wardrobe and need new items like a hole in the head.

Thus far this year I have spent $12 on a 6 pack of underwear, to replace ones that had worn out.  I need to buy new running shoes--mine have started rubbing uncomfortably.  And I am looking for a a pair of running shorts--my existing yoga pants work but are getting run down.  I travel for work a lot, so pack-ability is a plus.

I'm in. Of course, half my clothes are more than 15 years old, so there's that. I hate buying new clothes. But... with the new job, I have to get some nicer stuff, so I'll commit to only getting the minimum and going the least expensive route to get what I need to look appropriately professional.

I went to Uniqlo for my work basics--good dress shirts that are cheap and air dry mostly wrinkle free.  That helps them last longer.  They are fast fashion, of course, but it's difficult to argue with the price point for quality.  I also spent a lot on a good blazer from Ralph Lauren--but that got me an all cotton one in a professional cut that I can wash myself instead of at a dry cleaners.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 04:51:45 PM »
Epic fail. I ordered a bunch of Smartwool socks today.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 01:37:24 AM »
I'm also in! I was in the no clothes shopping last year but failed in the last month (..) when I bought a coat and it spiraled from there. I bought some other things as well and think I will be good for this year apart from the necessary replacements I need to make.

Things I will definitely need:
- Sandals - are falling apart
- Good (ankle) boots - not easy to find good vegan durable nice boots, suitable for work but also good for walking a whole day. So if I find some I will go for it. My pair I have are 5+ years old and I could use some even if these will last longer than I think
- Flowy pair of 'summer' pants/trousers - black - suitable for work but also loungy enough to wear anywhere else - I had/have some but those have a tear on the butt area that can not be fixed good enough to still be sfw

Things I will definitely NOT need:
- Other shoes - including running shoes - already bought two pairs on extreme sale, so I'm good
- Jeans/other pants than mentioned
- Jackets/coats
- Work-out clothes
- Basic shirts

As I love secondhand shopping and was not able to do this last year I will cut myself some slack if I buy something secondhand from a thriftshop BUT I have to actually love it, need to be able/want to wear it 30+ times and it should be cheapo. I will not be on the lookout for stuff to add though, but on the occasion I bump into something or my mum directs me to something she noticed or something like that. So also no second hand clothes shopping online!

Epic fail for me too.

I said I could buy some secondhand things but wouldn't be looking out for them but because I started second hand shopping online after my not buying clothes for 11  months it became a habit again... I bought a blouse, sweater, sweater dress, sports leggings from Patagonia (good value for money, will last me a long time BUT not a need cause I already have one so big fail..) Time to get rid of the habit!!!

I thought I got rid of the habit by not buying clothes for 11 months but it crept back in. I don't want to add more and spent more money although it wasn't extremely expensive. I DON'T NEED IT.

So no looking for things anymore this year just to look because I will buy if I find something I don't need. Only replacing items.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 06:15:29 PM »
I'm in. I'd like to stick to my planned budget of $250. I'd also like to keep the kids clothing spending to needs only. It's so hard to predict with their sizes changing all of the time. So, if I focus on needs for them, that will be another win.

Things I know I need:
-Running shoes
-Sports bras. Mine are all 10+ years old, & despite repeated efforts to replace them, nothing is as comfortable. The ones I have are incredibly stretched out & basically doing me no good.
-Underwear. I've had the same underwear for 10 or so years. So far, so good, but open to replacing them as needed. I'm picky about cut, so those might be a little pricey.

I really don't need much else. I might pick up a summer dress, if I find something at the right price point, that's good for work and/or other casual events. I wash my clothes a lot (line dry) vs dry cleaning, and we got a lot of nice weather here. That means that the dresses get washed a tremendous amount, and don't last as long as they did when we lived in Seattle. ;-)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 06:18:32 PM »
small fail - four pairs of wool socks.  I had some of the same brand but only four pairs.  It is so cold I was doing laundry to have a clean pair.  So I just decided to buy another pack so I can get through the week with warm toes.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2019, 01:01:08 AM »
Doing well here.  Nothing bought so far out of my projected 2019 budget of $150.  Haven't bought anything for the family yet this year either.  Though DD desperately needs a new swimming suit, so I'll have to do that soon.

I'm FIREing today (woohoo!) and tomorrow I'm packing up most of my office work clothes to donate them.  My closet will be pretty much empty after that, and I'll be left with my minimalist at-home wardrobe and just a couple nicer things for the rare occasions when I dress up.  I am really looking forward to getting rid of those clothes -- such a treat.   

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2019, 05:33:11 AM »
@Trifele congratulations.   Enjoy.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 01:31:20 AM »
I'm FIREing today (woohoo!) and tomorrow I'm packing up most of my office work clothes to donate them.  My closet will be pretty much empty after that, and I'll be left with my minimalist at-home wardrobe and just a couple nicer things for the rare occasions when I dress up.  I am really looking forward to getting rid of those clothes -- such a treat.

Nice! Sounds great. Congrats!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 02:01:35 AM »
Congratulations Trifele!

I kind of failed but I'm pretty happy with what I bought.  I Marie Kondoed my closet and realized that all my undershirts are ragged and I have very few 'work appropriate' sweaters in the rotation (it's freezing in my office).  So I went shopping in the post-Christmas sales - bought two undershirts for Euro 10 and 2 nice sweaters for around Euro 40 each. 

I also bought some new navy blue leggings for my older daughter as she only has one pair left, a black fleece in a larger size (she lives in her black fleece but is growing out of it) and a long sleeved t-shirt.  She really needed all these things as she's growing like a weed and is rough on her clothes.  Her younger sister will wear all her handmedowns eventually so I buy decent quality stuff in the sales each year.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 06:08:14 AM »
I wasn't planning on needing anything for a while, but I have a big interview on Monday, and need an interview appropriate outfit. I work in a super casual industry right now, and honestly don't have a single item of clothing I'd wear to a professional interview. Hopefully I find something good and inexpensive at the consignment store!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2019, 10:12:43 AM »
Congrats @Trifele !

I bought the needed black dress shoes ($90; I purchase long-term/heavy-use shoes new). The choir uniform concert dress is on order ($110, will not need to be replaced for many years).

I serve on the local board of a volunteer service organization, and I’m planning to attend the state convention this spring. I’m set for shoes and pants but should probably take advantage of the Konmari phenomenon and pick up a couple of business-dress tops from a local thrift store. I work at home in jeans and T-shirts and don’t attend worship services, so my wardrobe skews heavily casual.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2019, 10:57:21 AM »
Bought NO clothes in January.  It was actually easy!  I'm hoping to go all year without buying any clothes.  There's a good chance that I'll need to replace my work shoes though (I wear black pants and the same pair of flats everyday.  They're starting to get really worn...).  I received a GC for Kohls over the holidays so plan to use that for the shoes when needed. 

The only non-food purchase so far this year was a $4 boot tray for my entry.  It was needed for the snow I was tracking in.  I'm really trying to spend nothing this year - as I'm planning on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Ireland in the fall.  I'm not much of a traveler but have always wanted to go and my (adult) daughter and I decided to jump on the chance.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2019, 01:30:27 PM »
Bought my first clothes/shoes item of the year - a pair of new exercise shoes.  Actually, that doesn't even hit my clothes budget because that goes under "exercise supplies" but it seemed appropriate to report here.  I'll wear them only to my Jazzercise classes and then hopefully switch them to general use once I retire them from Jazzercise.

I'm excited to hopefully not have my feet hurt as much when I do some of the higher-impact moves!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!