Author Topic: Online Income 2015  (Read 3559 times)

innerscorecard

• Pencil Stache
    • Inner Scorecard - Where financial independence, value investing and life meet
Online Income 2015
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:31:16 PM »
Ok, I'm cheating to write this only after I already successfully completed the first checkpoint towards this. But here goes:

- Create a sustainable source of online income (doesn't need to be passive income), such that I have the equivalent of a part-time job working at minimum wage, on demand.

Initial checkpoints completed:

- Get an Amazon affiliate commission.
- Get paid for a Seeking Alpha article.

Next checkpoints:

- Get enough Amazon affiliate commissions so that I can actually get paid (there's a minimum threshold).
- Get enough Seeking Alpha income so that I can actually get paid (there's a minimum threshold).

Then, later (perhaps much later):

- Get enough (relatively) passive online income to perpetually pay for domain and hosting fees.
- Get enough online income to pay for internet provider and smartphone data fees.

Then, much later (maybe never for me):

- Get enough online income to be a useful source of "permanent capital" that can be used to fund investments and help maintain a certain standard of living (in a low cost of living location) regardless of financial asset fluctuations.

And the big unstated goal is to do all this while still having fun and writing about things I enjoy about, and providing a lot of value and useful information to others.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
Re: Online Income 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 12:44:10 AM »
I don't know if people have much success with blogging, but I tend to be in the camp that says treat online "businesses" as hobbies, not part-time jobs. The ROI is typically far worst than a minimum wage job. Do it if you like that kind of stuff, but don't throw a ton of energy into it expecting a return.

I may be wrong - anyone else produce significant income (above minimum wage for all the hours you put in) from online pursuits?

innerscorecard

• Pencil Stache
    • Inner Scorecard - Where financial independence, value investing and life meet
Re: Online Income 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 02:15:33 AM »
I don't know if people have much success with blogging, but I tend to be in the camp that says treat online "businesses" as hobbies, not part-time jobs. The ROI is typically far worst than a minimum wage job. Do it if you like that kind of stuff, but don't throw a ton of energy into it expecting a return.

I may be wrong - anyone else produce significant income (above minimum wage for all the hours you put in) from online pursuits?

As I already said in my post, I will only do what I enjoy and what I think provides value to others. I already work. I'm not looking for another job. The ideal goal would be to make minimum wage. If I don't, and if I even end up losing money in that my expenses greatly exceed my income (as is the case now), I would be ok with it. But I'd like to see if, basically, I can break even, and maybe even generate a little bit of income in a way that's non-market-correlated.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!