Author Topic: One month at a time Goal- Goals For January?  (Read 11454 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
One month at a time Goal- Goals For January?
« on: January 01, 2018, 05:48:05 AM »
I believe to achieve yearly goals you need to break it down into smaller goals. Quarterly, Monthly and even some goals daily. So this will be the start of setting monthly goals. Being January try not to confuse New Years resolutions with a monthly goal. A good example which is usually a big one is to get in shape or lose weigh in 2018. You can do that but what is your goal soley for January.

Here are my January goals-

Lose 1lb for good.  I have lost 60lbs and have kept off for 3 years but Its time to lose the final 10-15 which is my yearly goal.

Average a minimum of 15k steps a day

Start working to get rid of my sweet tooth I have developed.

Pickup the damn phone and make an appt to get me knee(s) replacement on the schedule

Get Started on the Bathroom remodel that haunts me

Read 2 books

Beat my monthly budget if not only by 1$

I am going to leave it at those 7 so I don not want to overwhelm myself and get nothing done. I will feel really good if I accomplish these and feel its realistic.

I left a space between goals so on 31st I can fill between how I did but I encourage updates!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
Re: One month at a time Goal- Goals For January?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 06:47:58 AM »
Thank you for starting this thread, I needed something to break down my goals and actually make progress. My goals for January are:
1. All of our dishes are to be washed every evening
2. Get all the refunds for medical expenses I can find from last year
3. Write my application for my PhD program

Good luck!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »
I will join you for January.

1. Save enough money from budget to pay for DH snowblower he just purchased. By cutting back on every extra for January I am going to pay for this and avoid taking anything out of savings.

2. Lose two pounds in January.

3. Exercise minimum three times per week.

Small goals perhaps. I would like to be able to accomplish these and move on to bigger and better in February, with some success under my belt.

Thanks for starting this one!  Good luck!

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 02:09:24 PM »
Thanks for starting this!
My goals for January....

1. clean all dishes before going to bed
2. call at least one old friend per week
3. clean out hall closet

Not much, but would like to actually accomplish these and get motivated for the rest of the year!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread :) - keeping track monthly is a great idea to keep us focused.

My non-financial goals for 2018

1.Call at least one friend a week.
Meet with at least one friend a month.

Have a garden party first week in April.

2. Starting Jan 2nd - sort papers every day - M-F - min 30 minutes a day. I know I can do 30 minutes and hopefully, I'll stick with it longer.  Until all 12 boxes are sorted, thrashed or filed.
Then sort out the cabinet, maybe even my CD collection, the bookcase in the study and the files on top of the closet. Declutter and donate as long as it takes.

3. Financial and general education - read a book, take a class, etc. - do at least one thing a month.
Since I love to read trashy romance novels (I always find time for those:) - I'll just do a tradeoff - one romance - one good book:)...

4. I'm dying to do a fun art project - but it seems there is always something more important that needs doing. Well, that has to change. I am making my art projects a priority - I love to play, making jewelry, doing mosaics-that door in the carport would look awesome with a funky mosaic multimedia style:), make something cool for the garden ... whatever cool project on Pinterest that appeals to me. At least one project a month.
Need to pick a day to finish organizing my jewelry supplies and the project table - so I can work in a nice, clean, orderly area. Maybe next Monday or Tuesday at the latest.
Once I made my first necklace - or rather finished off that Egyptian piece I started months ago I'll feel a lot better.  I can relax and start in on organizing the rest of the studio cum shed while continuing on finishing up more of my jewelry projects.

Looking forward to this - in reality, I've been working on the shed for three months a little at a time and it has been a huge, rather daunting project, which is finally beginning to shape up nicely. I may paint the furniture a funky color and hide the storage behind some cool curtains, perhaps move out a few things to a different shed.
A studio needs a lounging area - don't you think? Where one can lounge and sip something and dream up the next project, right?:)

5. Walk or exercise daily. Sign up for photography walks and for classes at the local community center. I love walking, but around here it is not always safe and none of my friends are healthy enough or care to walk at all. So I guess I have to get my behind out of bed in time to be at the park by eight or nine - hopefully, the chosen parks will be somewhat close to home.
I may just drive to the beach a couple of times a week to go for a walk.
Besides, right now it is actually getting down to the fifties - so I could ride my bike. Finally - a couple of weeks without Florida heat. There is a bike trail I've been thinking about trying.

In January - I will concentrate on goals 1 through 5 and report on my progress at the end of the month. In Feb/Mar I plan to add that bathroom project that haunts me. (stole that from succerlover:) since I should be done with all those damn boxes full of paper by then.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 04:42:09 PM »
Starting small, I want January to be a No Alcohol month. Also, I will make a Goodwill drop at the end of the month, and I would like to have 50 items to donate.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 04:57:12 PM »
1.  Keep grocery spending under $160.
2.  Get rid of two boxes worth of stuff at home (as part of ongoing decluttering project).
3.  Get rid of two boxes worth of stuff at my office.  (Retiring in 4 months, so must empty office!!)
3.  Lose 10 pounds.
4.  Drink 4 liters of water every day.
5.  Walk at least 5 miles at least 5 days per week.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 05:51:32 PM »
My goals for January.

1.  Read two books.
2.  Sort and organize paperwork every night until up to date
3.  Wash dishes every night and make sure sink is clear before going to sleep.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »
January Goals

Finish current book, Antiquity. 1/12 for the year that are new reads.
Set up kids new Spanish and French materials.
Finish the self-study course on drawing.
Work on other study course 2x per week.
Self-study painting: complete a minimum of 1 lesson in acrylics and 1 in watercolors.

Intermittent fasting (alternating vegetable only days).
Running 3x per week (follow schedule).
Stay off caffeine.
Skip desserts (substitute with fruit). No alcohol except when dining with friends.
Walk dog 3x per week.

Reevaluate budget.
Write or call my friends once each.
Set up special budget contributions to visiting friends and family fund.
Choose one classic kids novel to read to the kids.
Playing board games at least once a week.

Finalize Phase 2 of our business expansion.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 09:08:09 AM »
Great idea, I'm a big believer in breaking down big yearly goals into smaller daily/weekly/monthly goals. I have them all written down at home but here are the ones I can remember and I'll update if I forgot any. There are a lot of little ones

January Goals;
- Read 2 books
- Meditate everyday starting at 2 mins and working my way up to 30 mins
- Do dishes as they are used
- Do Yoga 9 times
- Run 9 times
- Stretch 10 mins a day
- Take Vitamins in the AM/PM
- Donate/Sell 31 items
- Have 10 No Spend Days
- No Added Sugar (this just a Jan and Feb goal)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 02:18:58 PM »
Some good January goals here......and were off! Good Luck everyone!

DirtDiva

• Bristles
January Goals
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
My January goals:

1.  meditate every day for 30 days straight
2.  Yoga once weekly, bike ride once weekly
3.  10k steps 6 days/week
4.  Food and beverage budget under 1k (Yes, that is an absurd amount for 2 people> I'm happy that DH,
     the household chef, has finally bought in!).

I started using a nice looking 30-day planning calendar last month- I love writing in it!  I am an admitted office-supply-addict.  Pens, highlighters and sticky notes...my heart actually beats faster when I cruise down the office supply aisle at Walmart.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 02:57:22 PM »
January goals
1) Daily morning meditiation (minimum 5-30min)
2) Sign up & complete AST1 course (Avalanche Safety Training)
3) At least 10 no spend days (highlight in day-planner)

Agent Rosenflower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 03:37:42 PM »
January goals -

- Give notice to my boss (I'm in the 2018 FIRE cohort and expect to reach my target number in early spring)
- Bring lunch to work a minimum of 3 days a week. Husband and I used to be religious about doing this almost every day, then the routine fell apart after we had a baby.
- Stretch goal: Take a 30-minute walk every day. Again, this used to happen every day without fail, pre-baby.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: January Goals
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 03:40:27 AM »
My January goals:

4.  Food and beverage budget under 1k (Yes, that is an absurd amount for 2 people> I'm happy that DH,

I started using a nice looking 30-day planning calendar last month- I love writing in it!  I am an admitted office-supply-addict.  Pens, highlighters and sticky notes...my heart actually beats faster when I cruise down the office supply aisle at Walmart.

Wow! 1k a month for 2 people to eat I dont think I have ever seen that.

January goals -

- Give notice to my boss (I'm in the 2018 FIRE cohort and expect to reach my target number in early spring)
- Bring lunch to work a minimum of 3 days a week. Husband and I used to be religious about doing this almost every day, then the routine fell apart after we had a baby.
- Stretch goal: Take a 30-minute walk every day. Again, this used to happen every day without fail, pre-baby.

Thats awesome and good luck on delivering the message! and Walking is so good for people.

January goals
1) Daily morning meditiation (minimum 5-30min)
2) Sign up & complete AST1 course (Avalanche Safety Training)
3) At least 10 no spend days (highlight in day-planner)

I like the 10 no spend days...keeping that one for a future month. I would bet I am close now but putting that one down for February.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
1) open 401k-i accounts for me/DH
2) begin new plan for rental income/expense mgmt
3) start 1 side hustle idea
4) have at least 1 date night/time with DH
5) do something to learn Portuguese at least 15 days during the month
6) create meal plan
7) create kid activity plan
8) purchase and begin 2 new stretch programs (do each one at least 10 days during the month)
9) Lose 2 pounds
10) do the 10 ideas exercise at least 15 days during the month

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 10:51:23 AM »
  • Ride my horse at least 10 times
  • Catch up on online dressage course
  • No junk food, including sugars and grain products during the week; no alcohol on weeknights
  • Run or hit the gym at least 2x a week
  • Stick to budget to cashflow recent large vet bill

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »
I have my sink clean with the dishes washed every night before going to bed.  So far so good with this one goal.

I have to get cracking with the 2 books read and organizing my paperwork.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 11:19:20 AM »
1. No new debt
2. Run 100 miles

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 12:43:14 PM »
I'm in!

Financial:
-Max out 401K (I get a bonus in January)
-Sell a car
-Shop around for new insurance
-Finalize & budget for house projects/remodel
-Come up with one way to reduce what we need/spend on an ongoing basis. Sometimes these are small. One month I ditched paper napkins & invested in cloth. Other months, they are larger.

Fitness:
-Do a complete round of 21 Day Fix (the workouts)
-Run 6 times. Need to get over the final stages of bronchitis before I can do this.
-Lose 3 pounds
-Eat 5 servings a day of fruit & vegetables

Family:
-Have one date night with my husband
-Have one family night with the kids (likely board games, popcorn, etc)
-Send a family newsletter (at the request of relatives) on travel hacking

Personal:
-Try to make yogurt
-Spend time with a friend
-Volunteer at least 1x
-Complete a Dream Bio (stolen from Frugalwoods)

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
January
1. Lose 1.5 lb
2. Walk dog 30 min 5 days per week
3. Make quilt for wedding gift
4. Read daily (3 book goal)
5. 20 no spend days

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »
I've been doing my drawing class daily. So much fun...and better for me than snacking on sweet junk food when I get anxious. I am off caffeine (spikes my anxiety badly) and we had grapefruit for dessert last night. So yummy!

I still need to decide on a Classic book to read to the kids. I was thinking of The Wind in the Willows. My reading has been curtailed for a few days while we have extra work to do.

I should be able to get back into my running/exercise tomorrow. My walking pneumonia is finally better and I'm not coughing constantly for the first time since Thanksgiving.

And, to fulfill one of my challenge goals, I also wrote two friends emails and sent my beloved uncle and aunt a note in the mail! I'm hoping we can go visit the latter this spring.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
I've been doing my drawing class daily. So much fun...and better for me than snacking on sweet junk food when I get anxious. I am off caffeine (spikes my anxiety badly) and we had grapefruit for dessert last night. So yummy!

I still need to decide on a Classic book to read to the kids. I was thinking of The Wind in the Willows. My reading has been curtailed for a few days while we have extra work to do.

I should be able to get back into my running/exercise tomorrow. My walking pneumonia is finally better and I'm not coughing constantly for the first time since Thanksgiving.

And, to fulfill one of my challenge goals, I also wrote two friends emails and sent my beloved uncle and aunt a note in the mail! I'm hoping we can go visit the latter this spring.

Good to hear that walking pneumonia is getting better! Takes a lot of oneself !!  I exercise at least 5 if not 6 times a week but I couldnt draw a stickman! haha

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 02:29:05 PM »
Thank you for starting this thread, I needed something to break down my goals and actually make progress. My goals for January are:

Good luck!
#1 is going well. I got thrown off by a really hot day were I couldn't wash dishes, but we're going away for a night so I'll have them all done before we leave and start again fresh on Sunday.

For #2, I've downloaded the app I need to use. #2 & #3 look like I'm going to need to organise childcare, as bub isn't sleeping well and won't let me work while he plays quietly, so hopefully I can get a family member over this week.

Agent Rosenflower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 06:27:30 PM »
My week:

Eh. Thought about doing it this week but the timing was weird.

Success!

Not so good. Did it two days as part of my commute.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 02:42:19 AM »
My week:

Eh. Thought about doing it this week but the timing was weird.

Success!

Not so good. Did it two days as part of my commute.

Big week!! Good luck and tell us how it goes! any offer willing to make you stay? or are you DONE DONE!!

Good luck!
#1 is going well. I got thrown off by a really hot day were I couldn't wash dishes, but we're going away for a night so I'll have them all done before we leave and start again fresh on Sunday.

For #2, I've downloaded the app I need to use. #2 & #3 look like I'm going to need to organise childcare, as bub isn't sleeping well and won't let me work while he plays quietly, so hopefully I can get a family member over this week.

Hot day? wouldnt know what that is. We have been below zero seems like forever! sounds like your doing well so far so keep up the good work.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 08:19:18 AM »
Progress so far. Happy with how things are going.

Financial:
-Max out 401K (I get a bonus in January)
-Sell a car
-Shop around for new insurance
-Finalize & budget for house projects/remodel
-Come up with one way to reduce what we need/spend on an ongoing basis. Sometimes these are small. One month I ditched paper napkins & invested in cloth. Other months, they are larger. - going to replace Kleenex with hankerchiefs. I've been sick & have already implemented, but need to get options together for the other family members.

Fitness:
-Do a complete round of 21 Day Fix (the workouts) - completed 6 of 21. Will get 7 done today, to be right on track.
-Run 6 times. Need to get over the final stages of bronchitis before I can do this.
-Lose 3 pounds - have lost 1/2 a pound
-Eat 5 servings a day of fruit & vegetables - averaging 6 serving/day so far

Family:
-Have one date night with my husband - date night was last night!
-Have one family night with the kids (likely board games, popcorn, etc)
-Send a family newsletter (at the request of relatives) on travel hacking

Personal:
-Try to make yogurt
-Spend time with a friend - free & fun hike. Combining goal to be more social with frugal goal of spending no money :-)
-Volunteer at least 1x
-Complete a Dream Bio (stolen from Frugalwoods)

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 10:57:56 AM »
My January goals:

I know, it's absurd.  Frankly, I'm ashamed. Lotta restaurants and alcohol in there.

Week 1:
1.  6 for 7 on meditating.  I need to find a better time than bedtime.
2.  Yoga, check, bike ride, check.
3.  10k steps: 5 for 6
4.  Food/bev total so far: $123.98/1K

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »

Good luck!

Hot day? wouldnt know what that is. We have been below zero seems like forever! sounds like your doing well so far so keep up the good work.
I'm in the opposite hemisphere, I'm summer ;) I've booked my mum for babysitting in the last week of January, so I'll do what I can before then but won't worry about stuff. Dishes are all washed, and today is laundry day, I better get on it!

Agent Rosenflower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 06:43:21 PM »
My husband took my daughter to the playground and I used the free hour to go nuts with food prep for the week. I might actually have prepped too much food!

soccerluvof4 - I could see staying at my job until the end of June at the most. Maaaaybe end of the year if the circumstances were perfect. But I’m really feeling like I’m at the point of diminishing returns with staying there. Thanks so much for starting this thread btw!

Blahhhh456

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 07:26:16 PM »
I would like to join in as well... a bit late, but I have been doing the following:

1. Meditate once a day for at least 5 minutes. I have missed one day so far.
2. Walking/moving for at least 20 minutes a day - walking from parking lot to office of 15 minutes does not count toward this goal. Also have missed one day this month - only excuse allowed is if it pouring rain, light rain I will need to suck it up!
3. Clean one room a day. I have kept up with this since the first of the year.
4. Wash at least one dish per day. This is just for items which cannot go into the dishwasher. I have been keeping up with this as well. I am finding my goal of having a clean sink every night to be my year end goal. I am beginning with baby steps and plan to increase the minimum number of dishes each month.

I am trying to keep up with a neat and clean house. I had a kid about a year ago, so I am feeling like I am finally coming up for air and returning to "normal." I have also gone through the "junk drawer" in our kitchen, which had turned out to be "junk drawers!!" It was great to shred paper for a few hours and now we are down to one drawer. I would like to maintain this for the year.

Thanks for the kick in the pants as I would like to remain accountable for the month!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 05:00:30 AM »
Starting small, I want January to be a No Alcohol month. Also, I will make a Goodwill drop at the end of the month, and I would like to have 50 items to donate.

One week in and I am good on no booze. It's not difficult for me, thank goodness.

I have put five things in the donate box. I actually put more in, but the dog got something out and savaged it to death and my husband pulled something else out and returned it to non-use. The dog did me a favor and that item is still gone!

I need to step up my game.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »
Week 1 in and I am on schedule for must. Though I have not been struggling with the sweet tooth as much I have not reached cold turkey yet. So i need to keep working hard on that one to get the 1lb off.

Suzanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 10:19:43 PM »
My goal for this month is:

Buy new clothes as we have festival season.
Cleaning the gutters and home.
Throw off the unwanted garbabe.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
Week 1 update;

January Goals;
- Read 2 books - Nearly done with Alias Grace
- Meditate everyday starting at 2 mins and working my way up to 30 mins - 4/31 need to get back on track
- Do dishes as they are used - Did great the first few days slacked off the last couple days
- Do Yoga 9 times - 1/9
- Run 9 times - 0/9
- Stretch 10 mins a day - 4/31
- Take Vitamins in the AM/PM - Great with the AM vitamins about 50/50 with the PM Vitamins
- Donate/Sell 31 items - Have a few items ready to go but haven't make it to savers yet
- Have 10 No Spend Days - 4/10
- No Added Sugar (this just a Jan and Feb goal) 8/31

I can do better. Days 1-4 were really good but days 5-8 not so much.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 12:00:34 PM »
I'm continuing to make progress, which is good. As usual, some of the smaller things have been easier to do. The harder things. . . well, they are still in motion. ;-)

Financial:
-Max out 401K (I get a bonus in January) - bonus is coming later this month
-Sell a car - nope. Car is still in the shop.
-Shop around for new insurance - having some insurance challenges, so waiting to sort out car sale & then will tackle.
-Finalize & budget for house projects/remodel - have plans to review with my husband next Monday when we have the day off
-Come up with one way to reduce what we need/spend on an ongoing basis. Sometimes these are small. One month I ditched paper napkins & invested in cloth. Other months, they are larger. - going to replace Kleenex with hankerchiefs. I've been sick & have already implemented, but need to get options together for the other family members.
-Bonus item (not on original list): list 20 items on eBay, to take advantage of free listing - currently have 9 items listed. Hope to get up the rest this weekend.

Fitness:
-Do a complete round of 21 Day Fix (the workouts) - completed 9 of 21, so far on track.
-Run 6 times. - Need to get over the final stages of bronchitis before I can do this. So far, nada.
-Lose 3 pounds - have lost 2 pounds.
-Eat 5 servings a day of fruit & vegetables - averaging 5.75 serving/day so far

Family:
-Have one date night with my husband - date night was last night!
-Have one family night with the kids (likely board games, popcorn, etc) - probably this weekend.
-Send a family newsletter (at the request of relatives) on travel hacking - yes, done! Have already helped a couple of people figure out how to use their frequent flier miles :-)

Personal:
-Try to make yogurt - nope, haven't tried yet.
-Spend time with a friend - free & fun hike. Combining goal to be more social with frugal goal of spending no money :-)
-Volunteer at least 1x - no, and don't have a lead yet on volunteering options. Need to figure this out.
-Complete a Dream Bio (stolen from Frugalwoods) - hoping for this weekend.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 08:59:34 PM »

Good luck!

I'm in the opposite hemisphere, I'm summer ;) I've booked my mum for babysitting in the last week of January, so I'll do what I can before then but won't worry about stuff. Dishes are all washed, and today is laundry day, I better get on it!
I've missed some days on dishes and am slowly catching back up. It's forced me to rethink how much other stuff I get done that is perhaps not as important as having clean dishes to eat off the next day (hierarchy: sleep, food, everything else). Fussy crawling baby seems to have finally cut his most recent tooth and isn't quite as clingy as he's been for the past week, so hoping that helps.

Rhoon

• Stubble
    • Multifamily and Apartment Investments
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 09:02:03 PM »

1) Stop Drinking Alcohol.
2) Max 401K
3) Max both IRAs
4) Save 95% of my take home bonus check

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »
  • Ride my horse at least 10 times Four rides in so far, should make it unless weather turns nasty
  • Catch up on online dressage courseGetting there - the more I ride the more motivated I am, and better able to digest the materials
  • No junk food, including sugars and grain products during the week; no alcohol on weeknights Doing pretty well,
     but did have some wine on Wednesday night
  • Run or hit the gym at least 2x a weekShit; this has not happened.  At least I've been been walking, but feel like a sack of potatoes in the saddle.  Will go for a run today and gym tomorrow
  • Stick to budget to cashflow recent large vet billExpecting to make this goal, but I hit WholeFoods and spent too much on food and booze yesterday

How is everyone else doing?  Almost halfway through the month!

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 09:35:20 AM »
Hopping into this one late but better late than never!

Goals to accomplish before end of month:

1. Max 2017 Roth IRAs
2. Complete one full week of meal planning/shopping
3. Read 2 books

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »

Two weeks of no booze and things are fine. I did have one funny moment where I looked in the fridge, saw a beer and thought about it, decided against and had a clementine soda. Only later did I realize I had stuck to my no booze goal without actually realizing it.

I have made real progress on donations. The box is overflowing with kitchen items, knick-knacks, books, and quite a few nice things we don't use and have no room for.

We live in a small house, and there is limited storage. Having fewer things is the only sensible way to make cleaning easier.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 04:02:24 PM »
Week two, almost complete. Here's where things stand. Feeling pretty good about the progress to date.

Financial:
-Max out 401K (I get a bonus in January) - will happen next week
-Sell a car - gently nudging my husband on this one, as he's the car guy who will do the actual selling
-Shop around for new insurance - dependent on above
-Finalize & budget for house projects/remodel - carving out time for this on Monday, as we have the day off

Fitness:
-Do a complete round of 21 Day Fix (the workouts) - completed 13 of 21 days, so right on track
-Run 6 times. Need to get over the final stages of bronchitis before I can do this. - First run today!
-Lose 3 pounds - have lost 2 pounds
-Eat 5 servings a day of fruit & vegetables - averaging 6 serving/day so far

Family:
- Have one date night with my husband - date night was last night!
-Have one family night with the kids (likely board games, popcorn, etc) - did movie & popcorn night, using free Redbox code + airpopped popcorn
-Send a family newsletter (at the request of relatives) on travel hacking - done! Also helped two other friends with financial stuff, at their request. My sister will now be saving $100/month between cell phone & cable cuts. She's on a tight budget, so this is huge!

Personal:
-Try to make yogurt - not yet, but I'm roasting my first chicken tonight!
-Volunteer at least 1x - nope, but may have found an opportunity
-Complete a Dream Bio (stolen from Frugalwoods) - nope

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »
My January goals:

I know, it's absurd.  Frankly, I'm ashamed. Lotta restaurants and alcohol in there.

Week 1:
1.  6 for 7 on meditating.  I need to find a better time than bedtime.
2.  Yoga, check, bike ride, check.
3.  10k steps: 5 for 6
4.  Food/bev total so far: $123.98/1K

Week 2:
1.  6 for 7 on meditating, still doing bedtime. 
2.  Yoga, check, bike ride x 2
3.  10 k steps 6 for 6

4.  Food/bev so far:  $361.64/1k.. on track for an $800 or less month, which would be half of our average spending per month in 2017.  Good god, that is still utterly ridiculous.

Amazing what paying JUST A LITTLE attention does.  I notice I spent 55.50 for breakfast and lunch this week.  This is a great motivation to start carrying my lunch to work again.  I brought lunch from home religiously for 26 years but the cafeteria food at my new job is cheap and delicious (but not as cheap as carrying lentils and rice from home!).

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
I am late to this thread (as I am to all monthly ones) but I have a few goals I am working on too.

1. Declutter maintenance for the entire house (excluding the basement storage)

Doing great on this, my main floor is done, clothes are done, now just working on my office/craft room and my bathroom

2. Prime / paint either my large linen closet or dining room hutch

i cleaned off/out my hutch to start sanding it, however my sister needed to borrow my shopvac. So I have instead switched to cleaning out the giant closet so I can remove the shelves and start painting there (no need to sand) hoping to work on it after work each night this week.

3. Lose 4lbs

2 down!! Totally on track!!

4. Organize miscellaneous areas of my house (not just decluttering, but actually organizing and putting items in logical locations)

Also killing this one. I have worked on the kitchen (may be a few more items to donate) started on the bathroom, totally moved around and sorted all my clothing, sorted my games collection and now I need to tackle the office/craft room and finish the bathroom.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »
1.  Keep grocery spending under $160.
2.  Get rid of two boxes worth of stuff at home (as part of ongoing decluttering project).
3.  Get rid of two boxes worth of stuff at my office.  (Retiring in 4 months, so must empty office!!)
4.  Lose 10 pounds.
5.  Drink 4 liters of water every day.
6.  Walk at least 5 miles at least 5 days per week.

Hmmm...

1.  I have spent $104 so far on groceries, and I'm confident that I can stay under $160 for the month.
2.  No progress.
3.  No progress.
4.  This will be a bit tough, as I did not weigh myself at the beginning of the month.  Too scared.  BUT, I am doing REALLY well with eating ONLY fruit, veggies, tofu, tempeh, and beans, so I know the weight will drop off.
5.  It appears that I have kicked caffeine.  THIS IS HUGE for me.  The only thing I have had to drink since 1/6 is WATER, and LOTS of it.  In fact, I drink so much water, it's hard to keep track of it.  I'm sure that most days, I drink at least 4 liters.
6.  Failing on this one.  I have been walking every day, but only 3 miles at best.

Need to pick up my game!!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »
Week 2 update;

January Goals;
- Read 2 books - (1/2) Finished Alias Grace almost done with How to Make Your Money Last. I may even finish 3 books this month :)
- Meditate everyday starting at 2 mins and working my way up to 30 mins - (4/31) - not doing well since week 1
- Do dishes as they are used - Got back on track this past week and have been taking care of the dishes within the hour
- Do Yoga 9 times - (1/9) - Terrible I haven't done any since the 1st. I would need to do some like every other day to hit this goal
- Run 9 times - (0/9) - Same as above I need to get to the gym and just do it!
- Stretch 10 mins a day - (4/31) - not great with this either, I seem to be spending all my extra time reading :)
- Take Vitamins in the AM/PM - Doing better though I forgot to take my AM vitamins this morning :(
- Donate/Sell 31 items - Have a few items ready to go but haven't make it to savers yet (same)
- Have 10 No Spend Days - (5/10) - got in one more day last week and today is looking like a no spend day as well
- No Added Sugar (this just a Jan and Feb goal) (8/31) - Not doing well here but today should be one more no sugar day

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2018, 12:21:05 PM »
Oooooh I just found this thread but I love it!'

For the remainder of January I'll set three goals:

1) Every day, dig out one thing to sell from our giant piles of crap (I have a related thread on these efforts). All of this is CC debt killing money.

2) Out of the remaining 16 days in January, 8 of them will be no spend days.

3) Stick to the YNAB budget - no adding money to categories that have already reached their funding goal. I am guilty of sometimes sneaking myself an extra $20 of pocket money to justify buying something impulsively. Once all categories are fully funded, leftover money goes to fund the Feb budget, and then anything left after THAT to debt payoff.

Already looking forward to Feb!!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 02:46:16 PM »
Well a little over half way through the month I have managed to

ave over 15k steps a day

Started the Bathroom remodel

havent lost the sweet tooth yet

depending on the day I cant claim the 1lb loss yet to be legit

Have not booked knee appt

Alot of time left but it will go fast so going to keep working on all my goals and thinking about February's!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 03:01:36 PM »
Here's where things stand.

Financial:
-Max out 401K (I get a bonus in January) -  So bummed. Was supposed to happen tomorrow. Unfortunately, I made an error in my request to Vanguard, and swapped two numbers. I've fixed it, but this won't happen until February. :-(
-Sell a car - gently nudging my husband on this one, as he's the car guy who will do the actual selling. Gentle nudges continue.
-Shop around for new insurance - dependent on above
-Finalize & budget for house projects/remodel - carving out time for this on Monday, as we have the day off. Okay, did this, and now have a budget in mind. Unfortunately, it's a big one, and would require me to change my FIRE plans. Workable, and totally possible, but we're now in the decision/tradeoff phase. However, this has been a lingering source of angst for months, as I wasn't ready to FIRE until we had the conversation & plan in place.
-Come up with one way to reduce what we need/spend on an ongoing basis. Sometimes these are small. One month I ditched paper napkins & invested in cloth. Other months, they are larger. - going to replace Kleenex with handkerchiefs. I've been sick & have already implemented, but need to get options together for the other family members.

Fitness:
-Do a complete round of 21 Day Fix (the workouts) - completed 18 of 21 days, so right on track
-Run 6 times. Need to get over the final stages of bronchitis before I can do this. - Two runs complete.
-Lose 3 pounds - have lost 2 pounds
-Eat 5 servings a day of fruit & vegetables - averaging 5.5 serving/day so far

Family:
- Have one date night with my husband - date night was last night!
-Have one family night with the kids (likely board games, popcorn, etc) - did movie & popcorn night, using free Redbox code + airpopped popcorn
-Send a family newsletter (at the request of relatives) on travel hacking - done! Also helped two other friends with financial stuff, at their request. My sister will now be saving $100/month between cell phone & cable cuts. She's on a tight budget, so this is huge!

Personal:
-Try to make yogurt - nope, but roasted my first chicken. May push yogurt to February.
-Volunteer at least 1x - nope, but may have found an opportunity
-Complete a Dream Bio (stolen from Frugalwoods) - nope

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2018, 07:08:08 AM »
Goals to accomplish before end of month:

1. Max 2017 Roth IRAs Done!
2. Complete one full week of meal planning/shopping Done! This last week was well planned and despite having a busy work week to contend with, we stuck to eating the food we'd purchased and leveraged 1 freezer meal in a pinch. I'll be completing meal planning and shopping today since I'd love a repeat next week!
3. Read 2 books Have started both books but work has kept me tied up. Will be able to get some reading done next week though since things will slow down