Author Topic: One Good Deed a Day/Week/etc  (Read 4548 times)

Drole

• Stubble
One Good Deed a Day/Week/etc
« on: November 15, 2017, 11:05:04 PM »
For the past few weeks i've been trying to do one good deed a day.

Some days it is as simple as picking up a piece of trash.

Thought i'd see if anyone else wants to play along with me.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One Good Deed a Day/Week/etc
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:03:02 PM »
What a lovely idea!

I may not always post, but I will try to play along.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 12:27:25 AM »
My MIL lives with us. So does her pal, Al Z. Heimer. I'm trying really hard to be nicer to her/them. I need this thread. Thank you for starting it.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 02:36:33 AM »
Such a good thread! I've been thinking about what really has brought me joy in my personal life over the past few months. Of course, friends and family were top on the list. But helping an elderly lady with her groceries and leaving a big tip for a waitress who was in crisis, that just gives you those bursts of joy that you need sometimes!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:58:01 AM »
I was going to start a thread on random acts of kindness, but this seems like the same thing. I am going to try to do one good deed (or random act of kindness) per day between now and the end of the year.

Today I am going to make or buy (Dollar store) a card to send to a friend anonymously in the mail.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 01:46:10 PM »
I hooked up the bike trailer so the kids and I could go pick up cans in the neighborhood. So, there is a financial incentive for the kids (I once estimated we earn about $1 an hour doing this). And we get exercise. Guess it's a trifecta.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 10:38:57 AM »
Monday: volunteered to help with neighborhood association project (volunteered husband as well for bonus points)
Tuesday: picked up trash as I walked back from an errand
Wednesday: donated some stools and clothing/shoes to my favorite thrift shop.  (also spent supported them financially by donating $9.80 for about 10 books, 5 small zippered bags, 2 board games, ski pants, 5 new/like new bottles of nail polish and a waterproof bag for camping gear...). 

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 05:40:22 AM »
I reached out to two people I haven't been in contact with in a long time. One was a cousin who had a double hip replacement, and the other was a friend. Had great conversations and brightened all of our days.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »
Here  is an assortment for me from the past week or so:
-Was in South Korea at a hotel, and there were many US service people staying in the hotel. Made it a point to initiate a conversation with each one, and thank them for their service. One got emotional & told me how much it meant to him to hear that at a time when he's away from his family, over the holidays. I awkwardly cried during the conversation.
-Volunteering to run the kids crafts at my son's holiday party at school. He's in 5th grade, so it's now or never in terms of getting into the classroom. There are almost no opportunities for that type of volunteering next year +
-Read this post http://www.becomingminimalist.com/the-white-envelope/ & fell in love with the idea. Decided that, for this year, my husband and I will pay for my disabled aunt's health insurance. She works 30 hours/week as a dishwasher, and funds are really, really tight. She doesn't qualify for much else, and has struggled financially since my grandmother passed away. It makes me feel so nice to be able to do something that is critical & useful.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:20 PM »
We've had a ton of snow in the past 2 days.  We have a snow removal contract (no punches - we're in our 60's, and have some health issues).  I was baking cookies for Christmas today, and offered them a bunch still warm from the oven.  Turned out they had been working since the middle of the night and had not eaten (this was at 2 p.m.).  I don't think I've ever seen oatmeal cookies get such an enthusiastic reception!   : )

savings4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 06:36:06 PM »
I fought for my employees and won! Executives were taking away my housekeeping services and going to mandate my clerks start cleaning the public toilets among other things. I went into the Executive meeting with my key points memorized on why this was not a good plan - including how it would hurt our customer service. Executives agreed with me and my clerks love me for taking up for them!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 06:55:35 PM »
I fought for my employees and won! Executives were taking away my housekeeping services and going to mandate my clerks start cleaning the public toilets among other things. I went into the Executive meeting with my key points memorized on why this was not a good plan - including how it would hurt our customer service. Executives agreed with me and my clerks love me for taking up for them!

Awesome!!! That's a huge win.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 07:33:29 AM »
Helped my son save for & donate teddy bears to a teddy bear drive at his school. He was really excited to help.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »
Volunteered in my son's classroom for the holiday party today. Remembered that my employer offers a $10/hour donation match to any time I volunteer (up to a cap), so filled out the form for that to earn the school a little bit of money. Also, 5th graders are awesome & super fun.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »
I came across this website and it seems interesting, but haven't really explored it yet.  actionforhappiness.org

Served dinner the other night to a lot of hungry folks.  I was not expecting such a large group in need...made me really wish I had supplied more food donations.  It was not specifically for the needy so that's why I was a little surprised. 

A youth group at my husband's church is collecting coats for kids.  There were none left on the super cheap day at the thrift shop.  I was going to give up (because the first day of the new weekly sale is just too insane for me), but then saw on Facebook that another thrift store was running a special for $1 per clothing item yesterday.  So I made it over there and found one.  Wish there had been more, but at least I have found one. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 04:29:55 PM »
I made up a small gift & went over & spent some time with my elderly neighbor, who recently lost her husband. She was very appreciative & I need to make it more of a consistent thing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 01:33:02 AM »
Yesterday when I drove to work, I saw a man running in his big winter coat with an office bag. He looked stressed and uncomfortable. I asked him if he wanted a ride down the hill to the bus stop. He was very grateful. I probably saved him 10 minutes of running.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
Cooked dinner for 100 to feed those in need. Got to set a good example for the kids. 

Suzanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 04:51:43 AM »
For the past few weeks i've been trying to do one good deed a day.

Some days it is as simple as picking up a piece of trash.

Thought i'd see if anyone else wants to play along with me.

I our country they swatch bharat. We are cleaning our surroundings. It is like a national movement, :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 08:25:48 AM »
Sent my monthly small sum to my mom, to use for my disabled aunt. She's struggled since my grandmother passed away, as she has no one to help fill in "the gaps". She works as a dishwasher, but her employer doesn't provide full time opportunities, or benefits. Sometimes my mom uses the money to buy her a new pair of work pants, buy her groceries, cover her health care bill, or just take her to lunch at an inexpensive place.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 01:44:19 PM »
Cooked dinner for 100 to feed those in need. Got to set a good example for the kids.

Whoa, that's quite a good deed!  I think you deserve major props, @Drole!

Quote from: Hirondelle
This thread is way too inactive. No one pursuing and increase in good deeds?
I think we are doing good things, just it is a little embarrassing to report them so often.

For a good deed of a new sort, I arranged a blind date between two good kind people who spent their lives nurturing crazy mean partners but are now finally free. I hope it works out.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 05:52:37 PM »
I donated $20 today to a young couple with a little girl who were standing by the side of their small broken RV.  I hope it helped.  They were very appreciative.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 06:20:07 PM »

For a good deed of a new sort, I arranged a blind date between two good kind people who spent their lives nurturing crazy mean partners but are now finally free. I hope it works out.

Oh, this is a nice one :) I set up some friends years ago and now they have 2 kids..it's the best when people hit it off!

And @LaineyAZ they probably were very surprised by a random act of generosity! Good inspiration.

I am going to sign up to donate monthly to Sea Legacy.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 05:21:02 AM »
Still doing the deeds here too. 

I've been cleaning out a storage unit that we basically have had locked up for the last 2-3 years.  (Note: Not a pay place, tho we might be able to put the space to better use).

Anyway, this has led to a flood of stuff to sort through and donate.  I've also been reading the book 7 and she has an interesting point in the book about trying to donate directly to the person in need.  I really liked that idea, but have not been successful in finding that right person for stuff. 

So I've done a few trips to my favorite thrift shop and have another load planned for today. 

Also sent a Sympathy card off to a girl from my childhood on the death of her mother.  No one I was directly close/really friends with, but just felt it was the right thing to do. 

Checked in on another gal who just had surgery.