Author Topic: One (small) good deed a day in 2018  (Read 4676 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One (small) good deed a day in 2018
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2018, 08:16:40 PM »
I've been MIA with a crazy few weeks, but was so happy to see that people are still posting & doing good deeds. Here's mine:

-Offered to help a friend with childcare, so she & her husband could run a half marathon together
-Took my mom on a long weekend. She's been pretty stressed out over a death in the family/selling a house, being the executor of the estate. We had a nice long weekend & I did a lot of listening :-)
-Helped two people with work promotion stuff. Spent about 6 hours of my own time providing feedback & input on the documentation they have to put together. I do this all the time for my own team & managers, so it's something I have a lot of experience doing, & was happy to help

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2018, 05:52:59 AM »
I have been picking up garbage when on my walks.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2018, 12:06:36 PM »
I treated a broke friend to a nice day out in NYC. We had some great talks and she seemed happier when I dropped her off than when I picked her up. :-)

I have a friend who's been through some very tough times (emotionally) lately; without being overbearing, I've been trying to find events she would especially enjoy, and invite a couple people I know she really connects with, so she can spend time with people who will support her without having to take the initiative of reaching out to people when she's feeling so low.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2018, 10:37:31 PM »
There's another good deed thread somewhere around this forum but I lost it.  On it I posted that I helped set up a blind date.  Good news, there will be a second date and I was thanked for the introduction!!  Unfortunately this is all we will hear about this for now because at this point I need to butt out and give them space.

Oh good ones @Poundwise ! Helping people find love *potentially*, and sharing food & toiletries with so many people is INSPIRING!

I cooked some meals for family members and picked garbage up while out on a nature walk.
Will also reach out to a friend who is needing some support.

I hear that date #3 is planned!  Well,  I think at this point, even if there are no sparks, the pair are enjoying each other's company.  And, I'm happy to simply help new friends connect, so my job is done.

Good work on feeding loved ones, and beautifying the earth, @Serendip!

So what have I done lately? Hmm. I donated money and have done a fair amount of volunteer work for the church, which will indirectly lead to good works but also benefits me, so that doesn't quite count.  I also donated to an impoverished church in the Bronx... that's more altruistic. But I was kind of guilted into doing it. Gave canned goods to food bank, hmm hm.. nothing that is good in a new way, I think.

Oh, I did cook dinner for a friend who has had her 5th child!  She's usually a very upbeat and capable woman, but I think that she finally got overwhelmed, and appreciated not having to worry about dinner for once.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:39:36 PM by Poundwise »

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2018, 10:58:54 PM »
Thanks for bumping the thread, the last week+ was kind of crisis mode for me and I have been pretty focused on myself and my problems. I think the best I can offer for last week is that I did not completely lose my shit with any of the people who deserved it. ;-)

My good deed for today is that I took a moment out of an extremely aggravating day to tell a slight acquaintance something just because I knew would make him feel good about himself. I honestly don't even like him very much, but I figure if you can make someone happy with 15 words, why not?

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2018, 10:10:29 AM »
ha, good work @Dollar Slice!
& @Poundwise , I think that's great that they are enjoying each others company :)

I have continued -picking up garbage on walks
-will be covering a shift at work for someone
-will be writing a snail-mail letter to a friend who requested one
-bought groceries for my SO since I knew he would be happy to arrive home to beer, cheese & baguette

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »
I volunteered to help at a school event, and also signed up for an unpopular (but, important) voluntary work committee.

I'm going to challenge myself to make a donation over the next few weeks with "found" money. (Money that I'm not expecting, not from standard paycheck sources.)

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »
I have continued trying to be especially nice to my unemployed/broke friend and my depressed/grieving friend.

Picked up some trash on a walk in the park today (and refrained from giving a dirty look to the parents of the kid who dropped it).

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2018, 10:07:36 AM »
I saw someone drop some money and made sure they got it back.

I haven't been doing terribly well with this challenge lately :-/  But I thought of it last night, I went to a talk/discussion thingy put on by PEN America and there was some discussion that resonated with me and made me think of this challenge. One comment from someone who said after being in prison it made them want to help people who had less than them (less money, less power, less privilege etc.) because it gave them a window into what that's really like. And another comment about how the "first, do no harm" oath should apply to way more professions besides medical care. I really liked that. Withholding harm is sort of one step down from active good deeds, but I think it comes from the same place.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
I've been terrible about keeping this up to date, but. . . jumping back in! I'm volunteering twice today for a school activity.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2018, 08:09:30 AM »
I've been doing a lot of volunteer work for school, church and political action, on the order of doing things like bringing dishes to potlucks, donating flats of water to canvassers, etc. But not sure if these really count as good deeds.

I've also been making a lot of small donations. I donated to Florence Immigrant & Refugee Rights Project and the National Immigrant Justice Center because I was (am) so horrified that our government is grabbing the children of asylum seekers and these kids (including babies and toddlers) would be expected to defend themselves in court otherwise.

I also threw a little money to some GoFundMes to  help the poor folks in Guatemala.  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/how-to-help-victims-of-guatemalas-fuego-volcano

I put this as small good deeds because I didn't give much to each, about $20-$50 while I consider making room in my budget for a bigger donation.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2018, 11:54:46 AM »
I've been doing a lot of volunteer work for school, church and political action, on the order of doing things like bringing dishes to potlucks, donating flats of water to canvassers, etc. But not sure if these really count as good deeds.

I've also been making a lot of small donations. I donated to Florence Immigrant & Refugee Rights Project and the National Immigrant Justice Center because I was (am) so horrified that our government is grabbing the children of asylum seekers and these kids (including babies and toddlers) would be expected to defend themselves in court otherwise.

I also threw a little money to some GoFundMes to  help the poor folks in Guatemala.  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/how-to-help-victims-of-guatemalas-fuego-volcano

I put this as small good deeds because I didn't give much to each, about $20-$50 while I consider making room in my budget for a bigger donation.

These are definitely good deeds, and totally agree with you!

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2018, 03:02:14 PM »
I wrote up a little list of suggestions/recommendations for a friend who is having a similar surgery to the one I had last year. And I offered to pick her up from the hospital and make sure she gets home safely since she doesn't have any family here (she said she had already asked someone else to do it, but I'm her backup plan if he can't do it).

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2018, 06:20:37 AM »
Well, it looks like the blind date went nowhere in the end. No chemistry after 3 dates. :~(

I have been helping out with separated families. Helped connect some detained parents who speak indigenous languages and no English or Spanish, with a translator who will help them in court; also donated to several bail funds to free imprisoned moms and dads; as well as support funds since once freed they are not allowed to work until their court dates.

There was a call for helpers in Orlando, Indianapolis, Dallas, LA, Baltimore, Miami, Chicago, Silver Spring, MD, Houston, Alexandria, VA, Portland, OR, Moline, IL... so I forwarded to a friend who lives 20 minutes from Silver Spring and hope she can network somebody.

Filled out an application form for a job training program for a refugee who speaks little English and is going to work for the first time to support her 4 children as her husband has cancer; if she gets in she will also receive a small stipend.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2018, 07:28:53 AM »
Thanks for posting @Poundwise - super inspiring & a good reminder for me.

From my end, I'm trying to help get my disabled aunt prepped for an eventual retirement. She is quite mentally delayed but doesn't "accept" that, so she puts off asking for help & then tends to make quite a disaster out of situations. It's difficult & as she ages, I'm concerned about getting her set up for the future.

I've also been doing a lot of mentoring at work, which I really enjoy.

I need to do a better job helping my elderly neighbor. The times haven't worked out well yet, but I need to make it a priority.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache  Oy, the elderly!  Those are good deeds which take much and return little.
I've found it helps to research a couple of acceptable choices (whether eldercare facilities, or in home aides), then accustom your elderly relative to these two choices. She may fight them both tooth and nail at first. It may take a few years for her to get used to them as ideas. Then have her try them out a little (like a tour or even an overnight stay at a facility). She'll hate them.

After a reasonable amount of time, propose a new alternative that is still good but you think she will like much less than the first two.  Hopefully, she will recoil against the new idea and say she wants one of the first two options.

Do not expect her to come up with any good options on her own.