Author Topic: One (small) good deed a day 2024  (Read 27163 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One (small) good deed a day 2022
« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2023, 09:22:17 PM »
Wow!!! Somebody did ME a random good deed today!

I was in the grocery store... was wearing my ragged, stained work clothes with holes in them... had a pretty full cart as the whole family is home and we're going to cook out for July 4... the total was over $212. To my embarrassment, my credit card was in my small purse at home, so I tried my ATM cards, which supposedly could be used as debit cards though I had never done so before. But one after the other failed. The man behind me in line kindly offered to pay because "it's not a large amount" but I found my checkbook so I tried to pay that way.  For some reason THAT was not accepted, so I was prepared to go home for my card and come back. But the guy behind in line again insisted to pay, so I sheepishly accepted his offer, vowing to make a donation to the food bank. 

I asked for his number so I could pay him back but he was reluctant, nor would he take my check, so I foolishly gave him my number because I didn't know what to do.  I think if I had been less flustered I would have been better able to manage. But I've been a little off recently what with dizziness from sinus infection from smoke, and also lost my glasses so was wearing an old prescription. So I wasn't been able to think well and don't even remember if I thanked him!

It felt weird to have a random kind thing like that done for me. But it saved me an hour and having to drive another trip when I haven't been feeling well.  I made a $250 donation to the food bank. Anonymous nice guy, thank you!!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: July 09, 2023, 06:52:25 PM »
That's pretty amazing, Poundwise :-)

I did a few little kindnesses on public transit this weekend... I gave up my seat for an older person (I have chronic pain/disability but I was almost at my destination). I also narrowly stopped someone from sitting in - well, it was sticky and had chocolate chips in it? Probably something that cost $6 from Starbucks. She had white shorts on, so that was a good save.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2023, 08:52:10 AM »
oh wow @Poundwise --that's a great story even if you felt a bit flustered about it.

I was recently reading a story about forest monks and so the concept of 'giving someone the opportunity to be generous' pops into my head when I read this.
Hopefully the person who helped you felt the positive repercussions of helping someone out!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #253 on: July 10, 2023, 06:00:33 PM »
Talked to an elderly person today who mentioned that they got a 23 & me kit, mainly for the medical stuff, and they asked me about it because they were having trouble getting it set up (couldn't get the e-mail to go through, etc.). I happen to know that they have some complicated family history (relatives they never met for potentially upsetting reasons/circumstances) and I cautiously asked if they knew that 23 & me could potentially put long-lost relatives in touch with them through DNA matching. They'd had no idea that was a part of it, and definitely didn't want any part of that. So I suggested they make sure they can opt out of that part, and knew how to do it, before they sent it in.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #254 on: August 05, 2023, 11:27:26 PM »
Was at a small jazz club tonight and saw a woman with a full beer get collided with by some guy who wasn't looking where he was going, and got beer sloshed all over her hand and arm (luckily not her dress). I had my purse-pack of Kleenex so I offered her some to wipe up, which she accepted, and I also wiped up the little splash on the floor because it was in a place where people walked a lot and I didn't want anyone to slip on the hardwood floor. There was only one employee there and they were really slammed.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #255 on: August 10, 2023, 01:07:43 PM »
DH found a Hong Kong ID card on the ground in the departure lounge at the airport. Losing your HKID card is on par with losing your passport while you are overseas. It is your ID for EVERYTHING in HK and in China. DH turned it in to the airport police. Hopefully, the owner will get his card back soon, once he returns to Hong Kong from his trip.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2023, 09:30:38 PM »
Another grocery store line save at the big midtown Manhattan store I go to sometimes... it was almost closing time and all the lines were closed except two. But instead of roping off the lines, they had little video screens at the ceiling saying "line closed." An older lady got in the closed line next to me and was patiently waiting for a number that would never get called. I told her what was wrong and let her get in line in front of me so she wouldn't have to walk around to the back.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: August 27, 2023, 10:52:49 PM »
It was my dad's birthday today, and he mentioned several times that he hadn't heard from his son or grandson (my brother & nephew) and was bummed out about it. After hearing this several times I decided to surreptitiously text my brother at 9:30PM, who claimed he hadn't forgotten and was totally going to call, which he did about 5 minutes later - and then my nephew called a little while later as well. I think it made my parents happy :-)  And got my brother out of the doghouse slightly.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2023, 10:23:21 AM »
Nice Bday save @Dollar Slice !

-I picked up a sharp object that was in someone's driveway 
-did some problem-solving with a coworker who was having friend-issues
-did wordsmithing with another co-worker who is having roommate hygiene concerns

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #259 on: August 29, 2023, 01:35:20 PM »
This is tiny, but I'd like to stay motivated, so I'll post it.  I was hanging banners around town to promote an upcoming community event. A fence we'd been given permission to use was covered with an expensive scrim. We found a temporary section of fence without scrim and hung our banner there. Then I used zip ties to replace some that were missing on the rest of the fence, so everything looks better than before i got there. Did the same thing at a couple of schools. If the existing banners were flapping, I added new zip ties.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: August 30, 2023, 06:17:08 AM »
I’m not really a kid person but I had a FBM buyer and her daughter in my living room and successfully introduced the daughter to my very friendly and very soft cat, George!  It was adorable 🥰.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: August 31, 2023, 01:31:37 PM »
-volunteered to deliver the church flowers to some homebound elderly members, took me only 5 minutes out of my way and the bouquets would have been discarded otherwise

-cooked extra dinner and dropped off some to the poor friend whom I couldn't help before

-another friend just had a kidney transplant; I drove her and her sister to another state for treatment (this wasn't a small deed actually, it took all day)

-dropped off the unsold Girl Scout cookies to food pantry, so glad to have my laundry room back!

-gave away our old bunk bed on craigslist, and also offloaded a child's bike and some other toys to the nice family that picked up

- dispensed personal finance advice to some young people who seemed ready to hear it

OK, that's a wrap for the last couple of weeks! I was happy that my young daughter dropped one of her own dollars in a collection for Maui, a good sign that she is developing compassion.

Good work everyone!! I found @Dicey's good deed with the banners especially satisfying, BTW! And I enjoy @Dollar Slice's good deeds because I also get to live vicariously in Manhattan through her anecdotes!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: September 01, 2023, 04:27:47 AM »
bringing dinner to a dear friend's mother today who just had surgery - soup and homemade soft bread because she has sutures on her lip and wanted it to be easy to eat.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2023, 03:40:31 AM »
There's a mosque near me that participates in a government food distribution program. Once a month, they give away bags of food, no questions asked. I bring them bags to pack the food in, which I get from another volunteer gig.

We have a friend who built and stocks a little free food pantry in front of her house. On distribution days, 4 or 5 of us collect a bag at the mosque and give it to her to help keep the pantry stocked.

Somehow, the mosque is connected to Door Dash. I believe the DD drivers deliver to people without transportation. The DD drivers typically pick up ten orders at a time. Today, there was only one person handling the operation and seven DD drivers, so my friend and I started filling the driver's trunks so the person in charge could pull the next order. It made it easier for him and cut down the waits for the other drivers. Then we each got our bag and passed them on to our pantry friend. Helping out made the wait time pass more quickly.

One of the DD drivers had a new 33# bag of premium dog food in his trunk that he did not need. He gave it to me as I helped him load his trunk, and I passed it on to my food pantry friend. Some dog owner is going to get really lucky.

Best if all, we learned that they do a similar distribution of food from a different source every Friday. We will all start doing the same thing on Fridays.

Of course, I will keep providing bags.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2023, 11:36:55 PM »
Had one of those "only in New York" good deed opportunities tonight - long story short, I went to a concert tonight and I was talking to a musician who has done really big name sideman work (has played with a lot of Grammy winners etc.) and has a substantial solo career. And he was asking me about a certain type of smaller venue in NYC because he has a hard time finding venues to play solo acoustic jazz shows for his indie career. Acoustic shows are tough because not a lot of places have a quiet enough vibe (unless you're playing fancy-pants upscale venues, which he's not). So I told him about my good friend's art gallery where she also books a couple of dozen jazz and classical concerts a year, it's just what he's looking for - no bar, fantastic location on a fairly quiet street in central Manhattan, a built-in audience that she's maintained over a number of years. He even has friends who have played there (who I could name off the top of my head, because I'm an obsessive music fan). And it's about the right size for him to sell out. He was really interested in doing a gig there. My friend is PSYCHED. Potentially a big win for both of them. :-)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #265 on: November 29, 2023, 10:41:37 PM »
It's been cold and windy the last couple of days (sub-freezing wind chills) and tonight I was out waiting for the bus when I looked at my phone and discovered that the "every ten minutes" bus wasn't coming for 25 minutes. Ugh. An elderly woman using a cane walked up just as I was deciding whether I would do my errand a different day or just walk there. I started chatting with her to make sure she wasn't about to spend 25 minutes waiting in the cold for the same bus as me - she was. :-(

I asked where she was going, and looked at my bus route app, and it turned out there was a more efficient route that she could take - one bus instead of two, if she didn't mind walking two extra blocks when she got there. And it was coming in 10 minutes instead of 25, so she wouldn't have to wait outside as long. I walked her around the corner to the other bus stop to make sure she found it, since it was dark out and she wasn't familiar with the neighborhood. Hopefully everything went smoothly for her on the rest of her trip!

I ended up waiting for my bus since talking to her and taking a short walk proved to be a pretty effective time-killer - my bus was only 8 minutes away when I got back to my stop...

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #266 on: November 30, 2023, 05:46:13 AM »
DD’s school throws out boxes and boxes and boxes of imported English books every year when new teachers decide they don’t want certain books or they change reading programs. I know the teachers and reading coaches at the school and always ask if I can have the books that they are tossing. These last few weekends, I’ve been mailing boxes of books to Cambodia, where my sister works at a school in an impoverished area of town. I saved two giant ikea bags of books from the dumpster, and the Cambodian school has basically a small library of books now, all selected by well-trained and knowledgeable educators at a top international school.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #267 on: November 30, 2023, 07:03:43 AM »
@Freedomin5 - is there a service that accepts text books for these schools?  I have a few books from my son's high school classes that are not being used any more and would like to contribute them.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #268 on: November 30, 2023, 08:08:29 PM »
@Freedomin5 - is there a service that accepts text books for these schools?  I have a few books from my son's high school classes that are not being used any more and would like to contribute them.

Thanks for asking! That's so kind and generous of you! I'm sure they exist, but I'm not personally aware of organizations that take high school books. The level of the students at the school my sister works at is so low that they're more interested in kindergarten to middle elementary books at this time.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2023, 07:24:47 AM »
@Freedomin5 -  No problem...I did a little research and found this:

https://www.booksforafrica.org/donate/donate-books.html

you can mail text books here and they will distribute them to students in Africa.  Seems like a good idea.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #270 on: December 01, 2023, 02:13:14 PM »
@Freedomin5 -  No problem...I did a little research and found this:

https://www.booksforafrica.org/donate/donate-books.html

you can mail text books here and they will distribute them to students in Africa.  Seems like a good idea.

Looks like an amazing organization. I love how simple they keep the whole process.

Hmm…I wonder if they have something similar in Canada. I’ll be living in a college town (literally in the middle of a neighborhood populated with student housing, in fact the previous owner of our house is a college student who graduated). Come April, when students are moving out, I wonder how many gently used textbooks will be trashed. I’d happily walk around on move out day to pick up textbooks. Something to explore when I retire in a couple years.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: December 02, 2023, 06:10:13 AM »
I posted about LasagnaLove on our neighborhood page on NextDoor.com.   I got thanked from people who weren't aware of it but wanted to do something from their home to help the hungry.
https:/lasagnalove.org

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: December 02, 2023, 08:54:38 AM »
@Freedomin5 - it looks like you can reach out to the organization and get a drop box.  It may make sense for you if your are living around a bunch of students.  Here in the US, it seems like more and more classes are using online subscriptions for textbooks--get to charge slightly less, but only get the license to use it for a year.  While I am in favor of less waste, I think this is a profit driven approach from the book manufacturers.  And there will be fewer books to ship to charities in underserved regions.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #273 on: December 02, 2023, 03:04:36 PM »
@Freedomin5 - it looks like you can reach out to the organization and get a drop box.  It may make sense for you if your are living around a bunch of students.  Here in the US, it seems like more and more classes are using online subscriptions for textbooks--get to charge slightly less, but only get the license to use it for a year.  While I am in favor of less waste, I think this is a profit driven approach from the book manufacturers.  And there will be fewer books to ship to charities in underserved regions.

That reminds me, DD’s school has already started sending their old iPads to needy schools. Some of the textbook publishers offer free subscription services to needy schools who can’t afford the subscription fee. One of my neighbors is an academic coordinator for DD’s school and she was telling me about it. The iPads are preloaded with a program with lots of downloaded books, encyclopedias, and other info, so they don’t need stable internet, just intermittent internet so they can update the system and add more material. She recently brought a bunch to a school in the middle of the jungle in the Philippines and spent a few days down there training teachers on how to use the program. This is for elementary school though. High school would still have the same problem, but I wonder if textbook publishers might offer free subscriptions.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 06:10:44 PM by Freedomin5 »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: December 14, 2023, 12:39:58 PM »
A friend of mine asked me for help setting up an Amazon wishlist for her support group of low income people living with mental illness. So I did, and am trying to whip up my set of high income friends to donate things.  If we can make this happen, my friend will feel so empowered!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: December 22, 2023, 08:46:59 AM »
We did it! At first, nobody donated even though I primed the pump by buying some items. Later, since nobody was buying the $25 bulk packs, I divided them up into less cost effective but overall cheaper $7 items and then people bought a lot, and even ended up buying the bulk packs so we ended up with twice as much! We put together the gift packages yesterday, took photos, and I'll send thanks to the donors soon. I hope my friend, who suffers from depression herself, feels good about what we accomplished.

Other good deeds: gave a Christmas wreath to a disabled senior who lives nearby; took a refugee grocery shopping.  But it's always fun to take refugees around because it's so easy to help them.  The woman I took out on Tuesday was concerned because the packaged herbs were so wilted but she was very chuffed when I went into the florist section and found the potted herbs for her! Made me feel like a genius.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #276 on: December 25, 2023, 07:45:58 PM »
I visited my traveling friend’s cats for some food/water/litter scooping.  My friend has had a challenging time lately with her job and family and I wanted to do something helpful for her household while she was away.  So I took out a bunch of cardboard boxes and plastic bottle recycling to help her out.  The cats hid the entire time me.  Free and saved my friend a pet sitting fee? 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2024, 02:38:42 PM »
Picked up some garbage on my walk and then organized the recycling shed a bit (moved a few armloads of cardboard and around 10 pizza boxes to the cardboard location).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2024, 03:54:44 PM »
It's been awhile! In no particular order:
-Made a donation, when I looked over our list of good deeds & came up with nothing for the week. (I include this in my blog, and I love the forcing function of writing it down, because it often inspires me to be more creative, or look for those small moments.)
-Offered to help coordinate a project for the school soccer team. This is impressive almost entirely because I loathe things like this. But, someone has to do it, so why not me sometimes?
-I returned shopping carts at the grocery store. I try to make it a point to collect a few, when I return my own.
-Was able to fulfill a bunch of asks on BN, especially for ski clothes. Which, are expensive, and we have teens who outgrown things regularly, so it's awesome to help out & pass things along.
-Swept my neighbor's leaves, when I was doing my own.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #279 on: January 14, 2024, 04:59:10 PM »
- Helped a friend get disability accommodations
- Helped a friend save $55 on something he wanted to buy
- A friend wanted to go to a late-night music festival but felt bad leaving his partner home alone before a big work trip where they would be alone again, so I invited his partner to have a girls' night out with me that night. Triple win since I think all three of us had a good time and I got us $10 concert tickets so it was very frugal :-)

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #280 on: January 14, 2024, 06:51:18 PM »
Someone else left a baggie of dog poop at a trailhead I visited today. I threw it away properly before starting my walk.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: January 15, 2024, 06:46:42 AM »

Holy heck, that's a big good deed, not a small one - good for you! 

I've read that there are so many services available to people but they just don't know how to access them or that they even exist.  I hope that friend can continue the chain and help someone else.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: January 15, 2024, 07:07:45 AM »

Holy heck, that's a big good deed, not a small one - good for you! 

It was just for a one-time event. But they were not answering their emails and didn't provide a phone number, so it was a bit of a Thing. You would be horrified at how poorly so many places respond to minor accommodation requests.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2024, 11:07:26 AM »
Tried to help a couple of friends who are having major anxiety issues with some of their life admin stuff. Both are planning trips and one is looking for a therapist, so there was a lot of online searching I could do and just helping whittle down options, helping with decision-making, etc. One of them I think I really helped (he got his hotel and plane all booked). The other is still working on stuff but I think she at least feels like someone's got her back? And I said I was available for more help if she was feeling indecisive/overwhelmed.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2024, 10:47:27 PM »
Slicey, you are a good egg.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2024, 01:32:30 PM »
Was hiking with my dog in a remote area. There is an older man who lives in his van, he doesn't talk or acknowledge me much but I've given small waves in the past few weeks. Today we walked by on a road and chatted a bit. When he saw me returning he asked if I would jump start his van. I had to drive to a sketchy, icy area to access it and was a bit concerned I'd get stuck but it worked out fine (even though it seems his van is quickly on the way out of commission)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2024, 06:56:03 PM »
Snippet from earlier post:
-Offered to help coordinate a project for the school soccer team. This is impressive almost entirely because I loathe things like this. But, someone has to do it, so why not me sometimes?

Well, apparently, this is normally a job for a committee. We are in a super weird position this year, as the junior parents plan and run this event, but there are 17 seniors, and only 4 juniors. One of the junior parents is totally MIA, hasn't replied to emails and I've never seen them at a game. The other parent begrudgingly agreed to my requests that he pick up one of the tasks (take photos, as he's a photographer & has an awesome camera). The last parent is hosting the end of the year banquet & is the team manager, so she's helped be a person I can bounce ideas off of, but I've done 90% of the work myself & feel she's contributing plenty on her own projects. I've probably invested 20+ hours so far, and we're not even close to done yet. I keep telling myself that I'm making up for lost time, because this isn't something I typically lead. Making up for lost time :-)

I'm really excited to wrap this project - I'll be done by end of February!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: February 13, 2024, 09:59:07 PM »
Cleared the snow-ice-water mess from a bus stop bench today after the storm ended, so that it would dry off for future people to sit there.

Still helping my friend try to find a therapist. She's contacted two people I found for her that supposedly take her insurance which is a really big step. She's been struggling for months to get over that hump. Hopefully one of them will work out.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #288 on: February 14, 2024, 10:52:17 AM »

Well, apparently, this is normally a job for a committee. We are in a super weird position this year, as the junior parents plan and run this event, but there are 17 seniors, and only 4 juniors. One of the junior parents is totally MIA, hasn't replied to emails and I've never seen them at a game. The other parent begrudgingly agreed to my requests that he pick up one of the tasks (take photos, as he's a photographer & has an awesome camera). The last parent is hosting the end of the year banquet & is the team manager, so she's helped be a person I can bounce ideas off of, but I've done 90% of the work myself & feel she's contributing plenty on her own projects. I've probably invested 20+ hours so far, and we're not even close to done yet. I keep telling myself that I'm making up for lost time, because this isn't something I typically lead. Making up for lost time :-)

-Hosted & finished this very time intensive project. Grateful it's done, it went well. Was at least 50+ hours, so lesson learned.
-Made several donations
-Embarking on a very large & ongoing project with my sister, to take over tasks from my parents to support my mentally disabled aunt. This is a lot, and I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to manage this effectively, but my parents absolutely have to tap out.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #289 on: February 14, 2024, 03:11:27 PM »

-Hosted & finished this very time intensive project. Grateful it's done, it went well. Was at least 50+ hours, so lesson learned.
-Made several donations
-Embarking on a very large & ongoing project with my sister, to take over tasks from my parents to support my mentally disabled aunt. This is a lot, and I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to manage this effectively, but my parents absolutely have to tap out.

As another soccer parent, thank you for taking this on and making it happen!  I wound up managing teams for a number of years, because I felt the options were me (who is reasonable) or some parent who was kinda insane (there are a lot of those around here). But I really, really appreciated it when people would take on separable tasks, and I'm not sure I really thanked them enough -- so let me do so now! (And if it was a senior-night-type thing, extra thanks, because that is a real PITA -- but the seniors and their parents generally really enjoy it!)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #290 on: February 14, 2024, 08:53:46 PM »
@jeninco - it was senior night! And, bonus, after a not great season, we tied a team that's rated in the top ten in California, in a complete shocker game. :) Thanks for all of your volunteering! Our club team is volunteer led, so we're supposed to do 4 hours/season per kid, and many of the positions cover full cost for your kid to play, which I like, because it broadens the opportunities.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: February 15, 2024, 07:36:03 AM »
I've been helping a widowed neighbor who is under hospice care.  She has daytime help but in the evening or night she needs a few minutes assistance to transfer from sofa to wheelchair or from wheelchair to bed. 

My good deeds are typically donations to food drives or volunteering with an association but this is the first time I've helped with physical assistance.  I'm glad to help but it's a sobering experience.  Memento mori.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #292 on: February 15, 2024, 06:17:11 PM »
An acquaintance commented on an artwork I shared on social media.
 I said I could send her a small print of it if I had her address and she was very appreciative..only a few days later did I see that she is struggling with a mental health crisis. Small act but I have to hope that it transmits some care.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #293 on: February 15, 2024, 06:22:16 PM »
I sincerely love reading these updates by everyone!

I've invested a bunch of time in helping my aunt lately, and so far have saved her about $70/month off of her bills. I've also found that she's eligible for reduced utilities, and my dad is going go to help her with that (needs to be in person). And, she's authorizing me to deal with her insurance, so I'm going to tackle that, hopefully tomorrow. Her income is under $1k/month, so these change will be really meaningful to her.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: February 16, 2024, 07:56:17 AM »
I sincerely love reading these updates by everyone!

I've invested a bunch of time in helping my aunt lately, and so far have saved her about $70/month off of her bills. I've also found that she's eligible for reduced utilities, and my dad is going go to help her with that (needs to be in person). And, she's authorizing me to deal with her insurance, so I'm going to tackle that, hopefully tomorrow. Her income is under $1k/month, so these change will be really meaningful to her.

That's very kind of you, she's lucky to have such caring relatives.  Have you looked at the www.benefits.gov?  It's a great source to start researching and you can filter it by location.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: February 16, 2024, 09:37:29 AM »
Lovely work, everyone! with a special shoutout to  @LaineyAZ. The endgame for the elderly in this country is very rough and it's scary to be dependent on others in our last days. Just having the peace of mind that she'll be able to get into her bed at night is such a gift to your neighbor.

Hrm, I can't say that I've been particularly good to man or beast lately.  I've continued on my usual volunteer work but this month it's been mainly planning meetings, postponing them, and sending emails saying that the meetings were postponed.  I did initiate a craft circle at a building of low income seniors... have secured funding promises, made the flyers and am collecting yarn etc., and I'm hoping that bringing the seniors together will become a regular thing that they can sustain themselves, to reduce isolation in this community. It's scheduled for next month and I'm looking forward to it. It's kind of a maverick event that I threw together out of frustration with everything else that I'm having to do by committee.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #296 on: February 16, 2024, 10:20:36 AM »
Lovely work, everyone! with a special shoutout to  @LaineyAZ. The endgame for the elderly in this country is very rough and it's scary to be dependent on others in our last days. Just having the peace of mind that she'll be able to get into her bed at night is such a gift to your neighbor.

Hrm, I can't say that I've been particularly good to man or beast lately.  I've continued on my usual volunteer work but this month it's been mainly planning meetings, postponing them, and sending emails saying that the meetings were postponed.  I did initiate a craft circle at a building of low income seniors... have secured funding promises, made the flyers and am collecting yarn etc., and I'm hoping that bringing the seniors together will become a regular thing that they can sustain themselves, to reduce isolation in this community. It's scheduled for next month and I'm looking forward to it. It's kind of a maverick event that I threw together out of frustration with everything else that I'm having to do by committee.
Good on you! I've recently learned that there's a group of ladies who meet in the community room at our library. The first part of the meeting is kind of a materials swap. Then they settle in for another couple of hours of needlework of all types, and conversation. It was delightful to see.

Dicey: "Ooh, we had a lot of knitting books donated before the last book sale. There were more than we had room for, so we kept some of them for the next book sale. They're in my garage, would you like them?"

Group: "We donated them."

Later, at the Thrift Shop, a conversation with a fellow thrift shop/library volunteer: "Dicey, the shop is low on cookbooks and craft books. Do you have anything?" And that's how my groaning bookshelves have fewer cookbooks and the crate of knitting books is out of my garage, yay!

To stay sort of on topic, we were at the library multiple times so DH could do extensive repairs on the storage shed where The Friends accumulate used books. It's the former trash enclosure, in the alley behind the library. It has no power, so we have to mooch it from the community room. Bonus: DH scavenged most of the materials. In the course of scavenging, someone had some unused, brand-new windows along with the materials we were picking up, so we took them and dropped them off at ReStore. The Friends had the money to buy new materials, but that's not how Mr. Dicey rolls. Now The Friends have extra money to spend on library needs. In the Spring, he will repaint the building with material he's already sourced. Free, of course.

dangbe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2024, 01:03:54 PM »
I came across this post this morning and it inspired me to do a good deed.  When I went out to shovel snow this morning I noticed my neighbor's sidewalk hadn't been shoveled and shes usually the first one to do it, so I decided to shovel it for her.  Not sure if shes sick or had errands to run, but either way hopefully made her day a touch easier.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2024, 03:47:48 PM »
I came across this post this morning and it inspired me to do a good deed.  When I went out to shovel snow this morning I noticed my neighbor's sidewalk hadn't been shoveled and shes usually the first one to do it, so I decided to shovel it for her.  Not sure if shes sick or had errands to run, but either way hopefully made her day a touch easier.

This makes me really happy.  That's why we have this thread. Thank you for making the world a little better, @dangbe!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One (small) good deed a day 2024
« Reply #299 on: February 21, 2024, 09:05:00 PM »
I've updated the year on this. Wish it could become one of those really long threads, hopefully corresponding to an increase in good deeds in the world!