Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 165020 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #400 on: March 29, 2017, 11:00:19 AM »
I made the most of a tantrum that Baby Poundwise threw this morning. On the way back from dropping off her big brother at school, she refused to get out of her stroller, so I wheeled it into the garage and started to tidy up the workbench.  I managed to sort several handfuls of random screws and nails into our hardware drawers, before she stopped yelling and screaming, got bored, and finally climbed out of the stroller.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #401 on: March 29, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »
Clever parenting there, poundwise!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #402 on: March 29, 2017, 02:08:50 PM »
Clever parenting there, poundwise!

Hee hee, thanks! It felt good. When we got inside the house at last, she said she wanted to eat a banana, ate one, and gave me a big gooey kiss afterwards.  3 year olds. :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #403 on: March 30, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »
Took a box of books to our local friends of the library used bookstore. One box down, several to go!
On behalf of all the "Friends of [insert name here] Library" groups who sell used books, I thank you, facepalm!

This week is our quarterly book sale, so every free moment is occupied with set-up, sale and take-down.

Layered over that is the prep for my other library group's annual fundraising gala. Seems that both the Exec. Dir. and the Program Dir. have elected to take vacation time within three weeks of the event. They are creating artificial deadlines tailored around their [extremely inappropriately timed] travel plans, which is pissing me off royally. Yes, pissed as hell. Thanks for letting me vent here, in private.

All of this activity has seriously hampered my daily "Odd" chore activity.

However, general awareness of this theme is helping my house stay extra clean. I hosted a pot-luck style dinner for eight on two day's notice last Sunday, and it was a total breeze. Thanks, guys!

blueberrygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #404 on: March 30, 2017, 10:53:14 AM »
Great idea! Today I'm going to mail in a tax form that should have been sent already.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #405 on: March 30, 2017, 12:40:10 PM »
I taught my kids how to play Monopoly. I know, that's probably not a chore. But I really do see it as a good life skill.

In real chore news, I've been working for three days now on clearing out a room that was being used as storage. It's a real chore, trust me. UGH!!!  But it's getting done....

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: March 30, 2017, 01:30:30 PM »
I've been searching out some boxes of old toys in the garage for DS' next batch to take home.  He tells me what he thinks he wants to sell next, and I go hunt them out.  Saves time while he is here, plus I sort of know where everything is, since I put it there.   : )

I have missed a few days of the 'odd' chores, because I was finally catching up on regular chores that were way overdue.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #407 on: March 31, 2017, 09:17:31 PM »
Finally caught up on laundry, finished federal taxes and recycled three magazines

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #408 on: April 01, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »
  • Fix bathroom sink screen
  • Replace switch plates and outlet covers in kitchen
  • Replace bathroom switch plate with half-blank
  • Install new faucet :-(

My plumbing adventures continued, as each step that I took eventually made the sink leak worse. I finally caved after hunting around for parts, and bought a new faucet. I got an open box one from Amazon for less than half of list price, and installed it over the last couple of days. I also now have a bunch of spares for two other old sinks in the house (oh-oh, partial reveal of how facepunch-worthy our house is).

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #409 on: April 01, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »
My wife and I just installed heat reflective window film on our west facing windows.  We have a couple more east facing bedroom windows still to do.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #410 on: April 01, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »
Listed 4 pairs of DH's unworn pants on eBay.  Bought 2.  DH ONLY wears one style of pants, and they're no longer made.  At least they're cheap!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #411 on: April 01, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »
I have been falling behind in posting but still working on projects.

Today I patched a million holes on the walls in my bedroom. Years ago I had hung up a nice collection of artwork and my poor 100 year old walls did not take well to the various screws and heavy art. I rearranged the bedroom so now this wall must be fixed, repainted and redecorated. I'm going with much lighter art this time and much better hanging hardware now that I am a little wiser. Tomorrow I will sand the patches, wash the wall and start touching up the paint. I'd love to repaint the entire room but I have a few rooms in dire need to do first, speaking of which....

I also started scraping the bubbled paint / plaster in my second bedroom that was damaged as a result of a squirrel instigated roof leak. It also damaged a corner in my bathroom that needs a total overhaul. The bedroom is going to need a large area on two walls repaired and the corner of the ceiling. Not fun! The leak is fixed though and my new steel plates will keep the fucking squirrels away.

After the wall is patched and levelled, I will empty this room of its minimal contents (I have been clearing it out for awhile in preparation) then I will wash walls, prime and paint. I also need to clean up the gum wood trim with some fresh stain and some oil. I am seriously debating painting my pinewood floors that are damaged but the cost is a tad prohibitive at the moment so I might just clean them up and restain to tide me over for a few years.

This is my next weeks plan. However I am working crazy hours at work right now and my mom just had knee surgery so I will be helping her out when needed. She lives an hour and a half away so this week might be a total write off.

Hope everyone is doing well and I will see you in about a week to catch up on everyone's chores!!!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #412 on: April 02, 2017, 03:42:06 PM »
Finished two sewing projects that had been sitting around, 95% finished for a few weeks. Still one more to finish, but need some supplies first.

Also yesterday fixed a shirt for DH, dress for DD and two shirts for DS. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: April 02, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
Unclogged bathroom drain that was taking too long to empty the sink.

Soaked whites in special whitening detergent to reduce yellowing (how DO my sheets get do gross?!).

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #414 on: April 02, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
  • Prepared amended 2013 tax return

Whoo! I've known I had to do this for nearly three years. I was ready to do it last year, then realized the deadline was 3 years after filing, which gave me an extra year to procrastinate. It was so much easier than I feared, and I will probably be paying some penalties. Really dumb to let it go for so long.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: April 03, 2017, 10:38:24 AM »
Friday: Rented a floor sander and sanded hardwood floors in the living room
Saturday: Filled holes, swept a dozen times, vacuumed with friend's Dyson, applied first coat of stain, fixed leak in air mattress
Sunday: Applied second coat of stain

Since I'm keeping the dogs out of the house until this project is done, and I'm trying to keep myself out of the house as much as possible, I set up camp in the bed of the truck in the garage and also caught up on some reading while the stain was drying.

Tonight I'm putting on the top coat and as soon as it's dry, the painting of walls starts again. Should be quick, they are all prepped and ready to go.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #416 on: April 03, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »
Pulled stove out, washed walls all around and floor under. (Is it even more "odd" that I do this every couple of months?)
It's not odd, but it is amazing! You live in a rented place and you've been sent "On your way" (as they say in Les Miz) and you still care enough to complete this chore? I did not think I could love you more, jooni-ploo.

In Diceyland, I finished the damn spreadsheet, all 14 legal-size pages. Hooray! The book sale was a qualified success, but not without completely unnecessary drama. Maybe when a bit more time has passed, I'll chronicle it in my journal. There will be name-changing, to protect the guilty, required.

Today is going to be a laundry day. Plus, normally my 92-year-old pal comes to my house on Monday afternoons. We do the Sunday NYT Crossword together and she stays for dinner with us. Today, MIL and I are going to have lunch at her house. I am going to make Egg Salad for sandwiches. It will be a nice change-up. Then my walking partner and I will have a nice walk (and talk and vent) together later this afternoon.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: April 03, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
Changed the filters for my reverse-osmosis water system. They're supposed to be changed every 6-12 months. Basically, I think we drank beautifully clean water for Year 1, and then drank all the junk back during Years 2-3.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #418 on: April 03, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »
I'm back from vacation! Or rather, from a family trip (we have a friend who thinks it can only be called a vacation if the kids go to grandma's house for the duration...). While we were away we realized that DD is now big enough to no longer need a booster seat in the car! Whee! My baby is now a small-adult-sized young person!

So, I put her booster on Craigslist as my odd chore.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #419 on: April 03, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
I have a car seat to put on Craigslist. Damn kids with all their growing.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: April 04, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »
Did both my and the Mister's taxes today.  Slightly poorer now, but all done until next year.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #421 on: April 04, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »
Found a bundt pan at the thrift shop for son's bday cake for later this week.  $3.
Found brand new bag with tag at thrift store to donate to silent auction at former school. My cost: 50-cents.  Retail was $59.  (I get a kick out of seeing how much my finds sell for....)
Found an ugly beaded belt that I can repurpose into a pull string. (50cents) (It'll still be ugly, but better than what I have now).
Got a new library card. (Bad news....bought several cookbooks from the library book sale store...major weakness for me). 
Grabbed some freebie books for the kids at the library book store to use as exchange books at the Little Library I take them to each week (we've upgraded so many books, I ran out of crappy ones to trade!)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #422 on: April 04, 2017, 05:09:38 PM »
Yesterday: decluttered a heap of stuff from cupboards we never open / use. Shifted some kitchen things from a hall cupboard to the (gasp!) kitchen, so we can get a better idea of how to use that hall cupboard to its full potential.

Today: rearranged some kitchen cupboards to make more sense. Probably going to do a heap more decluttering and organisation.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #423 on: April 04, 2017, 09:08:50 PM »
Sprayed weed killer on all the baby weeds today.  Trying to stay ahead of things this year, rather than end up with the disaster that was last year!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #424 on: April 05, 2017, 08:02:05 AM »
Sorted, packed, loaded into car eight bags for thrift :)

...so that drole will have more stuff to buy!

Yeah, it was a bit of a spendy day bc of the cookbooks.  But now I have finished the beaded pull cord project so that I should no longer have to climb up in a slippery, wet bathtub to reach the blind.  Odd project for the day completed!

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #425 on: April 05, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »
I finally cleaned the shelf that the olive oil and similar cooking stuff sits on. Apparently some of the oil spilled on it at some point, and from then on everything taken from that shelf would leave a bunch of oil anywhere on the counter. It's literally been months of this, but I finally dealt with it.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #426 on: April 05, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »
I finally cleaned the shelf that the olive oil and similar cooking stuff sits on. Apparently some of the oil spilled on it at some point, and from then on everything taken from that shelf would leave a bunch of oil anywhere on the counter. It's literally been months of this, but I finally dealt with it.

So how did you manage to get it clean? (Asking for a friend...)

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #427 on: April 05, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »

So how did you manage to get it clean? (Asking for a friend...)

Ha! I didn't do anything fancy - just took everything off, cleaned the actual shelf with soap and water, and washed the bottoms of all the bottles and things with soap and water as well. Olive oil comes off very nicely with dish soap.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #428 on: April 06, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
Yesterday I bought the pads to put on the chairs. Today I stuck them on. 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #429 on: April 06, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »
Went through a bunch of puzzles.  Made one pile for my sister, who also loves puzzles, and put a bunch in a bag for Goodwill.  Some puzzles you never want to do again.  : D

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #430 on: April 06, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »
Cleaned the kitchen cabinets, touched up paint in a few places, and caulked a corner.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #431 on: April 08, 2017, 08:16:26 AM »
I have been working insane hours this week trying to get a work project done and I am set to work on it all weekend. :(

However yesterday I took the afternoon/evening to visit my mom who has just had surgery. I helped her out with a million odd chores she needed done so I told her I would put her as my odd chore and she thought that was quite funny. Mom says hi everyone! :)

Today I am going to change my cars cabin filter, something I just learned about yesterday and have never done. I watched a YouTube video, I'm gonna buy the filter, I got my screwdriver, I can do this!

I also finally found my paint sample from my bedroom, so I am going to go buy a tinted tester to use to cover up my patches I worked on this week. A tester should be plenty and it's only $4 woohoo! So glad I saved all my paint samples, past me was smart, past me should have just put them in a more obvious location!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #432 on: April 08, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »
Ok I just spent an hour touching up my paint with the tester pot - PLENTY of paint for the job and my bedroom walls look soooooo much better. I am going to do a second round tomorrow when it dries, just in case I missed any spots. I feel kinda silly I never thought to just buy a tester pot, but usually I have leftover paint for each room, labelled in mason jars for touching up. Lesson learned $4 and the rooms looks 10 times better.

I was so inspired I took down my fabric blinds and curtains and they are presently in the washing machine. If it gets warm this week, I would love to wash my windows. However I am in Canada and it is only April, I might be jumping the gun a bit.

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #433 on: April 08, 2017, 03:50:25 PM »
Got motivated by this to get up and clean the gutters and patch some cracks on the  outside of my house. Both really needed to be done, but I kept putting them off because they weren't on my normal rotation.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: April 08, 2017, 05:56:49 PM »
Cleaned out under the sink in our larger bathroom.  Decided to donate some towels to our local vet (they are always happy to get towels!) and reorganized everything.  Looks so much better!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: April 08, 2017, 11:26:24 PM »
Returned a bunch of things and got back cash which is going to the bank on Monday. Also gave away a few things to a friend. Slow going but we are getting there.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #436 on: April 09, 2017, 12:22:11 AM »
Today I broke out both instant-pots and batch cooked black beans (which became refried black beans), five lbs. of Costco Ground Beef seasoned for tacos (and stretched with ground oatmeal - Shhh! Don't tell my posse I do this.) and used up all the rest of the brown rice I had to make Spanish Rice. We had tacos for dinner, and Mexican Food will be on the menu all week. Oh, and Friday was pizza from scratch night.

Yes, all this scratch-and-batch cooking is a chore, and it counts, damn it.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #437 on: April 09, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
Today, I changed the lawn mower oil, blew all the leaves and dust our of the garage, blew the leaves that accumulated in our mulch beds out from behind the bushes, and mowed the front lawn. I would have done the entire lawn, but our property is still wet from rain we had last week. I'm hoping it will dry up enough that I can finish the rest tomorrow.

I also started working on cleaning up our cars. We're at that awkward time of year when there is salt and dead bugs on the car and the interiors are filthy. I vacuumed the carpeting and seats and took out the floor mats and scrubbed them. I'm going to wash them later today once the sun is not beating directly on the driveway. I'm going to try to wax them too, but there may not be enough time to do both. I'll at least do mine. My wife is out of town so hers can wait until tomorrow if necessary.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: April 09, 2017, 02:00:33 PM »
Reset our sump pump discharge for 'summer'.  In the winter, I change over to a 4" pipe from the normal 2" pipe outside to prevent a freeze up (happened once, and destroyed/burned out our pump).  Also took the burlap off the shrubs, and tidied up some leaves left from the fall.   

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: April 09, 2017, 02:10:30 PM »
Does finishing my application for Obamacare count as an odd chore?  I'm hoping it's a one time thing.

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #440 on: April 09, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »
One of the thresholds in our house was cracked, before we moved in, and it eventually tore in half and was in bad shape.  Went and pulled it up, got a replacement, and installed it today.

Another odd chore off my TODO list.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #441 on: April 09, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »
Finished all taxes, refund on the way!  Also cleared out things from cupboard and sorted out paperwork for the past two weeks. As a bonus, tax paperwork is all filed as well.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #442 on: April 10, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »
Weather is finally warm enough I turned my furnace off. It's chilly but ok with a hoodie. Since the furnace is off and it was garbage night, I decided to take down the plastic on all my upstairs windows. I still have a few downstairs windows covered, but I am gonna leave them for another week I think.

The rest of my night was a bunch of regular chores. I have a lot of odd chores for this week, really hope I can crack them out as I'm feeling behind again.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #443 on: April 11, 2017, 08:58:38 AM »
Found the little green cleaner in storage so I recleaned the dining chairs. 

Painted the ceiling in the kids' back/play house which they'd been wanting finished for the last two months.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #444 on: April 11, 2017, 09:10:22 AM »
I built a new screen for the window that didn't have one.

Why didn't it have one, you ask? Well, it did actually have one until the middle of last month, when a bird somehow smashed through the screen and then got stuck, thrashing around crazily, between the screen and the window glass. It was kind of an insane situation - I mean, we wanted to save this bird (although honestly, is this the kind of bird that needs to perpetuate its species? I mean, if it can't avoid crashing through window screens, I'm not sure it should be winning the natural selection process), but I had zero desire for it to end up flying into our bedroom and equally zero desire for it to peck anyone with its very sharp beak while completely losing its mind being trapped. So using a sophisticated system of a ruler and a pencil stuck through a tiny window crack, with adrenaline on overdrive, trying to stave off our own incipient heart attacks, we managed to pry the screen free of the window and send it crashing to the ground where it exploded. Bird - rescued. Screen - no more. But now, all is well. Until the next bird, I guess.

lamil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #445 on: April 11, 2017, 06:36:23 PM »
Moved an extra set of mounted coat hooks from the back patio door(had 2, only needed 1 set) to up by the front door.  coats and bags were making their way onto the kitchen table and chairs and staying there.  Have thought about trying this location out instead of having all the coats hanging by the back of the house.

took about 2 minutes and works perfect and already matches the trim color.

Then cleaned up the kitchen table that has been covered in things dropped off and not put away yet.

todo: shredding. have a box. need to just sit and do it.

also started using google keep again to start tracking a bunch of these I want to get done that I have been putting off.

Civex

• Stubble
« Reply #446 on: April 13, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
Really like this thread-as a unit, my SO and I are quite good at conquering the regular daily chores, but seem to miss the ones that aren't scheduled. Been trying to join in...

Today I swept the garage, scrubbed the dog bowls and stand, and while I was scrubbing in the garage decided to wash the garage side door.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #447 on: April 13, 2017, 10:40:23 PM »
Today after work I removed everything from the fridge (and threw out a lot of old stuff, oops), washed all the shelves and drawers and inside of the fridge, and then put it all back together. Ugh, I hate that job, especially with my shallow sink. But the fridge sure looks good now!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #448 on: April 14, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »
Due to an unfortunate doggie accident on the bed this morning, I had to wash our quilt and our mattress cover. She was just helping with spring cleaning is all ;)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #449 on: April 14, 2017, 04:06:44 PM »
I reattached the back of a vintage bookcase that had started to seperate. While it was pulled out I vacuumed throughly behind it.

I have also been slowly going through the house removing old and reattaching new, felt feet to various pieces of furniture.

Id love to say I have done tons of spring yard work, but sadly it would be a lie. I will get there :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!