Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164825 times)

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #700 on: November 22, 2017, 06:30:33 AM »
My odd chore for today: cleaning out the 'odd socks drawer'. Every time I have a single sock left over after washing, I put it in this drawer. And every once in a while, I'll spend some time matching those single socks and trowing everything out that still hasn't have a partner.

I also went quickly through my other clothes and found 11 pieces that I no longer wear or are really too old and damaged to be worn. So those are now gone too :)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #701 on: November 22, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
My chore for this weekend is painting the office. I picked out a lovely shade of pale gray, packed up stuff, etc., etc. All ready. My husband says something about painting the trim first. I'm like, painting the trim???  . . . I didn't buy paint for the trim. Now all my energy is seeping away at the thought of all the extra work I totally didn't prepare for.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #702 on: November 23, 2017, 01:02:47 PM »
Just discovered this thread & love it. I have a bunch of Thanksgiving related food prep, but cleaned my electric toothbrush (inside). Oh, how it needed it!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #703 on: November 24, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »
Inspired by littlelykke, I cleaned out the "missing sock" drawer, and found 6 matches. I then went through each of the kids sock drawers & reunited another 5 pair of socks.

I also washed the top of our garbage can (the kitchen one), which somehow attracts strange things, like trails of banana peels, etc.

I love this challenge. Need to think of what kind of fun stuff I'm going to do tomorrow. :-)

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #704 on: November 25, 2017, 04:56:43 AM »
Inspired by littlelykke, I cleaned out the "missing sock" drawer, and found 6 matches. I then went through each of the kids sock drawers & reunited another 5 pair of socks.
[...]

Haha, you're welcome! And good job! :)

Today we finally went to the dutch version of goodwill. And donated 5 big bags with books, magazines, clothes, shoes, some knick knacks, etc.

And I'm about to clean my bike, since I saw that some places were covered in mud.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #705 on: November 25, 2017, 09:16:16 AM »

Today we finally went to the dutch version of goodwill. And donated 5 big bags with books, magazines, clothes, shoes, some knick knacks, etc.

kinda curious.....what is the name of the Dutch equivalent of goodwill? (yes, i'm a travelling thrifter).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #706 on: November 25, 2017, 09:16:46 AM »
Inventoried my freezer, so I now know how many servings we have, and of which item. It's been a few "mystery meals", where I defrost the wrong thing, so this should help.

Also, went the extra mile & grouped all like things together, and organized into bigger containers. We buy deli meat for paninis & then break into smaller packages to freeze. My husband doesn't always search the freezer before buying more, as evidenced to the 12 bags I found of meat. Now that everything is grouped into larger ziplocks, it should make it quick & easy to determine how much we have, and cut down on waste.

For tomorrow (or, maybe today? No sports for the kids, so should really take advantage.) I need to organize our hall closet. It holds all of the random things. Scared to open it, let alone clean it. But, every time I open it, it annoys me.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #707 on: November 26, 2017, 05:10:52 AM »

kinda curious.....what is the name of the Dutch equivalent of goodwill? (yes, i'm a travelling thrifter).

De kringloop! --> Here's a list where you can search for adresses per province. https://www.kringloop-info.nl/adressen-kringloopwinkels-nederland/ (website in Dutch).

that's the biggest and most well-known (oldest as well I think). But there are lots and lots of other ones too. In my area, there is a 'Hebbus!' and a 'noggus & noggus'. As well as some more fancy 'boutique' like goodwill stores. For example 'appel en ei'.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #708 on: November 26, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »
Today's odd chore is to work on the laundry room. I had it all neat and tidy, and then did a major closet over-haul and some of that stuff that I couldn't deal with ended up in the laundry room.

Also, this week I need to get some random stuff together and take it to the donation center.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #709 on: November 26, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »
-Organized scary hall closet
-Cleaned/decluttered kids rooms
-Cleaned the microwave (has been on the to do list "forever")

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #710 on: November 28, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
Last night I moved everything off the bathroom counter, wiped it down, and rearranged it - mostly moving the fish tank to the other side.  And getting my electric toothbrush plugged back in - somewhere along the way it got unplugged and shoved in a basket - now I can use it again!

I still need to figure out how to hang my small cabinet on the wall.  I bought it because the bathroom has one big cupboard under the sink, with no shelves or drawers to organize smaller items.  And there was no medicine cabinet, just a big mirror above the sink.  So I bought this one at IKEA.  But I've never got it installed on the wall - it just sits on the countertop.  Getting it up on the wall would really unclutter the counter, and make the bathroom sink area far more functional.  But even moving it to the other side works better with the way that the door opens, so partial improvement!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #711 on: November 28, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »
PJ!!!!!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #712 on: November 28, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
PJ!!!!!

Hi to you too!  :-)

Ok, odd chore for today - raked up a couple bags of leaves in the nice warm afternoon sun.  What a gorgeous day it was here, wish I'd spent even more of it outside.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #713 on: November 28, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
Washed the car today.  It was 15C, and that's spectacular for November here.  Next week will probably bring blizzards.  : )

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #714 on: December 11, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »
We still needed to install a lamp in the bedroom. Lamp case had been bought, been laying around the house for weeks and I finally fixed it. Hung up the lamp, connected the electricity and... it worked! Yay for me! Had never done that before, but it went well and I learned something new :)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #715 on: December 11, 2017, 06:52:08 PM »
Replaced a couple of Venetian blinds last night.  They have been samaged for a while, and replacements came out at half price. One more to do tonight.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #716 on: December 12, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »
Have noticed a few marks on our hallway wall. Finally had the lights on full blast yesterday for other purposes, and noticed that it was, in fact, blood splatter. And, there was a lot more of it than I thought. One of the kids? A stubbed toe, maybe? Yay. Anyway, got that all cleaned up.

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #717 on: December 12, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »
I love this one.

Today I'm going to put together a bed for in-laws that are staying with us over Christmas.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #718 on: December 12, 2017, 11:30:14 PM »
Finally painted the bedroom trim and cut it and put it up.   It had been mostly (80%) cut and sitting in the bedroom for 6 years.   I still have to caulk and topcoat, but what a difference.    Unfortunately, I need to buy one more 8 ft piece to finish one door.

I can't wait for the new headboard we are getting for christmas (we have gone 12 years without one), so a complete master bedroom clean up and prep is well worth it. 

Other tasks because I have guests coming this weekend:
Washed off the back deck and put pressure washer into storage where it won't freeze,
Scrubbed walls for finger prints (2 floors),
Got out the plaster for wall repair.
Fixed a broken picture frame and hung it back on the wall.
Scrubbed stairs to basement,
Made chocolate fudge balls,
Made butternut squash soup
Moved all furniture to properly clean the area rug,
Caulked the kitchen counter where it meets the wall,
Replaced lightbulbs, including the weird halogen ones that are $$ and I have been ignoring until more burn out.
Scrubbed the kitchen floor on my hands and knees to get the spots that the standup mop doesn't.
Finished all the laundry in the house.  (still needs to be put away)

And tomorrow is another day!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #719 on: December 16, 2017, 07:03:33 AM »
Cleaned out our little garage which was getting too full to be able to pull into.  Took a few hours over about 3 days. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #720 on: December 16, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »
This is a small one, but a few months back, we broke our milk jug. (The glass container we keep in the fridge, that we decant the giant, Costco size containers of milk into.) The jug helps prevent spillage when the kids (or, sometimes adults) pour milk. Today, I dug threw the cupboards on a search for a backup option & found something! This should help keep the fridge & counters cleaner, & reduce spills. Always a win.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #721 on: December 19, 2017, 03:08:57 PM »
I bought some potted shrubs over two years ago, meaning to plant them in the yard. Never did, so I have had to water them in the summer, then bring them into the garage for the winter. Waste of time. 

Today was reasonably warm day, so I finally got a shovel and pickax, and planted five of them. Watered and mulched them, so hopefully that is all.  It was hard work battling the rocks and tree roots, but I will enjoy having the space in the garage and not having to worry about them drying out.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #722 on: December 24, 2017, 11:06:23 AM »
Got inspired when reading this article ( https://www.thesimpledollar.com/the-power-of-good-relationships-and-thoughts-on-building-and-maintaining-them/ ) and decided to put his advice intro practice and get busy with my resolutions early. My goal was meeting with my friends once a month, it's  So I caught up with a old friend of mine, we had a really nice chat. Made me realize that I should do this more often, it was great talking to her again.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #723 on: December 24, 2017, 12:32:59 PM »
Washing the mattress cover and deodorizing the mattress with baking soda. Maybe I'l even flip it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #724 on: December 25, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »
Shoveled today. First and hopefully last time of the year but doubtful.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #725 on: December 31, 2017, 11:19:54 AM »
Washing the rugs. They don't get frequent enough attention here, so it's a good chore. Although, our dryer clearly needs to be updated, because it takes. . . FOREVER to dry the rugs properly.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #726 on: January 04, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »
Went through & cleaned up my old payments in my bank's bill pay.

This reminded me of two further chores that can be down:
1) figure out if I can automate any of the utility bills, as there are many! Will help reduce work, risk of forgetting/late payments, and give us credit card points.
2) Sign up for email notifications on all of the bills vs paper. Reducing clutter in the house.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #727 on: January 05, 2018, 02:21:37 PM »
Did the filing that's been stacking up for weeks & haunting me. It took less than 5 minutes! I'd psyched myself up for a big time suck, but it was quick & easy. Yes!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #728 on: January 06, 2018, 05:20:38 AM »
Today I am going to defrost the freezer.  It is going to be super cold again overnight.  So around 4pm I will put all the food from inside the freezer in the screen porch that is secure from animals but the same temperature as outside.  I will turn off the freezer and and fill it with buckets and towels/rags and leave the door open.  All the food will go in all the empty bins that I have from de-cluttering operations.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #729 on: January 06, 2018, 05:31:12 AM »
Today we're cleaning out the garden:
- Moving all the stoneblocks that were still laying there from removing the pond
- Planting some new plants at the back, to fill in the gaps that are now there because of said pond-removal.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #730 on: January 06, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
Cleaned the oven, which involved turning the dials and letting the oven do all the work.  I only do this once every year or so, usually in the winter when the added heat is welcome. It's -20C right now, on the way to -25C, so today seemed a good day for it.   : )

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #731 on: January 06, 2018, 05:47:54 PM »
Took all of our patio furniture cushions in, washed them, and am line drying the covers. Separately drying the liners as well. Will store for the winter.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #732 on: January 07, 2018, 02:45:23 AM »
Loaded the car with all my daughter stuff for college (she graduated HS early and is going to a big 10 school for Education and Soccer) drover her 4 hours and dragged it all up to the 5th floor in her dorm (luckily and elevator) and then after a couple hours drove back and made dinner!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #733 on: January 07, 2018, 07:03:30 AM »
Yesterday I also wiped out the inside of the fridge and arranged it so like foods were all together.
I started a container of veg that I would have previously tossed for soup stock - which I will make today.

Freezer is all reloaded and I took a careful inventory for future meal planning.

Next on the punch list is the fridge freezer.  I think I have become an impulsive butter buyer.  I was looking for something yesterday and kept finding butter.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #734 on: January 07, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »
Today we're cleaning out the garden:
- Moving all the stoneblocks that were still laying there from removing the pond
- Planting some new plants at the back, to fill in the gaps that are now there because of said pond-removal.

And today we spend 3 hours moving said stoneblocks to my fathers allotment. They'll stay there, while we'll sell our house. Then we'll have to move them again, to our new house. Yay!
But for now, it's done. And I've got my soreness to prove that we did.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #735 on: January 10, 2018, 12:47:16 PM »
I've been chucking broken items (mostly toys, also some books missing pages, etc.) into a closet.  I repaired a few electronic toys (sanded down dirty battery contacts, resoldered wires, and in one case actually replaced the speaker from, and resewed a neighing hobby horse).  Then I used superglue to fix items with snapped plastic.  Now the kids can finally play with them, or I can declutter them!

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #736 on: January 13, 2018, 06:10:47 PM »
I took down my Christmas decorations!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #737 on: January 13, 2018, 08:30:01 PM »
Ironed on a patch for my favorite jeans. This is on a non-visible part of the jeans, so I'm hopeful the patch will extend the life somewhat.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #738 on: January 14, 2018, 05:39:23 AM »
This past week saw the house get unChristmas decorated and so I washed the floors and cleaned marks off walls.  Target zones were light switches and door handles.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #739 on: January 14, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
This past week saw the house get unChristmas decorated and so I washed the floors and cleaned marks off walls.  Target zones were light switches and door handles.

I totally need to do this

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #740 on: January 19, 2018, 08:38:22 AM »
Recent 'Odd Chores' some of which overlap with the decluttering/getting rid of your '$HIT' category include:

1. Painting DS #1 Bedroom
2. Replacing Door Hinges and Door Knobs in DS #1 Bedroom (you know, after we painted the doors!)  looking so nice now!
3. Threw out or Recycled probably 4 boxes worth of paper and other 'mementos' that were mixed in with our photos in storage
4. Purged a massive number of poor quality photos/reprints/pictures of a bunch of kids I don't even remember their names from when sons were small, etc!
5. Created a photo box for both sons with reprints of family photos in storage. They probably don't want now, but may want in the future. I figure one small box per child is a good legacy to give them later.
6. Took family photos out of about ten frames we no longer display.  Will sell frames at next yard sale. Storing pictures until decide what to do with them.
7. Listed about 20 things on Ebay (currently selling ~10 of them). Have to decide to relist or not if they don't sell.  Have about 20 more to list this weekend!  Yeah for getting money for things we don't want any more!
8. Transferred excess money in my HSA over to the investment side (left a little cash in case we need it but the rest should be invested).
9. Found about 15 unused postcards that I had picked up over the years in my travels.  Considering using them in lieu of birthday cards this year for the family!  Will be fun and random for recipients.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: January 29, 2018, 03:20:26 PM »
Replaced all our smoke alarms (3).  They have to be done every 10 years, and time was up.  As they age, they get really yellow, so it's nice to be back to white units that blend into the ceiling again.

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #742 on: January 31, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »
I'm in on this one! My only modification to this is that since I work doubles some days not much will be accomplished those days.

Last night I did two odd chores, one was installing a new hand 18" towel bar in my bathroom. The old one was an ugly white bar that was painted on and get this, the previous owner Sharpied "Kristen towel" and "Joshua towel" on the bar itself! They did the same on the 24" bath towel bar, which I am replacing and installing the new one this weekend. How much do you have to dislike your partner to hate using their towel and not have the memory to know whose side is which? These bars I'm installing have been laying around for months as they were wedding gifts. I love practical gifts, except when it comes to actually installing them. Now I'm glad that those boxes are in the recycling and the old bars are on my local Buy Nothing for someone else to use.

The second odd chore I did was go through a closet I barely look at. I recently sold a tray rack that was in there, and realized how everything was just shoved in the closet pel mel. I have a lot of luggage and backpacks, as it turns out. In Aug 2016 there was a fire in the unit below mine and in Jan 2017 there was a fire down the street, having the (3) cat carriers ready to go and easy to get was very important to evacuating, if there was a fire yesterday, it would have been hell digging those out. The closet is well organized and I have a few more things to list for free or sell.

A third odd chore I did was cleaning an industrial fan we use for circulation during the summer. It had massive amounts of cat hair and dust caked on from not cleaning it for a few years, which is nasty because it's blowing that all over our place. We got it for free from the house we lived in before we moved to the condo, so it's up to use to maintain it. We have three air purifiers that all need a little TLC, I'm convinced I can fix them. None of them are running right now, which is bad because we have three cats in a 900sq ft condo and we both have breathing problems.

Next odd chores to do once my doubles this week are over: -wash cat carriers -install 24" towel bar -clean, repair, use or discard the three air purifiers we have that are not turned on right now.

Sorry for the novel, I just got really excited that I found this thread.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #743 on: February 11, 2018, 07:05:34 PM »
Been doing some weird ones and wanted to revive this thread!

-Got moss killer on the lawn. I read a bunch of articles that were like "solve the problem, don't just treat it!" ummm it's a north facing lawn in Oregon, of COURSE it's wet all the time. *eyeroll* BUT ANYWAY, the house across the street is up for sale, so we're trying to pretty up our place and hope it sells for the absurdly high amount they're asking for it, in case we want to sell later this year and move back to Portland.
-Pruning trees and cutting hedges back from the sidewalk and lawn.
-Pulling out a vine that was trying to grow up under (!!!) my siding. Also did a pass and trimmed all trees and shrubs back from the house to prevent damage.
-Rearranged the pantry.

Washing the rugs. They don't get frequent enough attention here, so it's a good chore. Although, our dryer clearly needs to be updated, because it takes. . . FOREVER to dry the rugs properly.

This is super old, but usually that means you need to clean your dryer, vs replace it. They last basically forever until you can't replace the rare part, especially if they're gas vs electric. Frequently overlooked things include washing the lint screen if you use fabric softener (it's hydrophobic, so it'll accumulate on the screen and stop moisture passing through adequately) and then cleaning lint out of the vent lines (not just what you can reach, further out).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #744 on: February 11, 2018, 08:33:49 PM »
Been doing some weird ones and wanted to revive this thread!

-Got moss killer on the lawn. I read a bunch of articles that were like "solve the problem, don't just treat it!" ummm it's a north facing lawn in Oregon, of COURSE it's wet all the time. *eyeroll* BUT ANYWAY, the house across the street is up for sale, so we're trying to pretty up our place and hope it sells for the absurdly high amount they're asking for it, in case we want to sell later this year and move back to Portland.
-Pruning trees and cutting hedges back from the sidewalk and lawn.
-Pulling out a vine that was trying to grow up under (!!!) my siding. Also did a pass and trimmed all trees and shrubs back from the house to prevent damage.
-Rearranged the pantry.

This is super old, but usually that means you need to clean your dryer, vs replace it. They last basically forever until you can't replace the rare part, especially if they're gas vs electric. Frequently overlooked things include washing the lint screen if you use fabric softener (it's hydrophobic, so it'll accumulate on the screen and stop moisture passing through adequately) and then cleaning lint out of the vent lines (not just what you can reach, further out).

Yeah, we clean the dryer often, but this is in our vacation house, and it's just an energy dog & needs to be replaced. But, it's hard to justify, given our usage of it. I should bring my long giant pole like thing that you can push into the lint trap & move around to get extra clean. Maybe that will help a bit.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #745 on: February 11, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »
-Cleaned my Sonicare & WaterPik today. If you don't have a WaterPik, and have trouble flossing (I have some tendonitis in my right hand), I highly recommend. I notice such a big difference vs regular floss.
-Was unplugging the shredder, and discovered the table near it was crazy dusty. Took care of that.
-Also noticed a bunch of dust wedged between the boards in my son's bed. Need to get in there, but didn't make it happen today.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #746 on: February 12, 2018, 01:35:22 AM »
Some of the grout in the shower started to get some moldy spots. So cleaned them all with the toothbrush & they are super clean again.
Also unclogged the drain, so the water can get away easily again :)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #747 on: February 13, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »
Yeah, we clean the dryer often, but this is in our vacation house, and it's just an energy dog & needs to be replaced. But, it's hard to justify, given our usage of it. I should bring my long giant pole like thing that you can push into the lint trap & move around to get extra clean. Maybe that will help a bit.

If it is one of those big white box dryers, it's usually pretty easy to open up the chassis and vacuum around the drum.  To find out how to open up the chassis, Google how to clean or how to repair your model number of dryer and you'll probably find a video.  Dryers are supposed to be serviced every year or so, and that is what the repairmen do. Also it's a fire hazard if you let lint accumulate inside your machine or in the duct.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #748 on: February 15, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »
Today I fixed our garage door remote... it has been broken all winter so my son has been leaving his bike outside.  Exactly while I was fixing the remote, my daughter broke the toilet handle. So we are at par.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #749 on: February 15, 2018, 07:57:27 PM »
Followed up on an online order from late last year that never arrived. It's my least favourite kind of chore, so I'm giving myself a gold star for doing it!