Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 62449 times)

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #700 on: November 22, 2017, 06:30:33 AM »
My odd chore for today: cleaning out the 'odd socks drawer'. Every time I have a single sock left over after washing, I put it in this drawer. And every once in a while, I'll spend some time matching those single socks and trowing everything out that still hasn't have a partner.

I also went quickly through my other clothes and found 11 pieces that I no longer wear or are really too old and damaged to be worn. So those are now gone too :)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #701 on: November 22, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
My chore for this weekend is painting the office. I picked out a lovely shade of pale gray, packed up stuff, etc., etc. All ready. My husband says something about painting the trim first. I'm like, painting the trim???  . . . I didn't buy paint for the trim. Now all my energy is seeping away at the thought of all the extra work I totally didn't prepare for.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #702 on: November 23, 2017, 01:02:47 PM »
Just discovered this thread & love it. I have a bunch of Thanksgiving related food prep, but cleaned my electric toothbrush (inside). Oh, how it needed it!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #703 on: November 24, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »
Inspired by littlelykke, I cleaned out the "missing sock" drawer, and found 6 matches. I then went through each of the kids sock drawers & reunited another 5 pair of socks.

I also washed the top of our garbage can (the kitchen one), which somehow attracts strange things, like trails of banana peels, etc.

I love this challenge. Need to think of what kind of fun stuff I'm going to do tomorrow. :-)

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #704 on: November 25, 2017, 04:56:43 AM »
Inspired by littlelykke, I cleaned out the "missing sock" drawer, and found 6 matches. I then went through each of the kids sock drawers & reunited another 5 pair of socks.
[...]

Haha, you're welcome! And good job! :)

Today we finally went to the dutch version of goodwill. And donated 5 big bags with books, magazines, clothes, shoes, some knick knacks, etc.

And I'm about to clean my bike, since I saw that some places were covered in mud.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #705 on: November 25, 2017, 09:16:16 AM »

Today we finally went to the dutch version of goodwill. And donated 5 big bags with books, magazines, clothes, shoes, some knick knacks, etc.

kinda curious.....what is the name of the Dutch equivalent of goodwill? (yes, i'm a travelling thrifter).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #706 on: November 25, 2017, 09:16:46 AM »
Inventoried my freezer, so I now know how many servings we have, and of which item. It's been a few "mystery meals", where I defrost the wrong thing, so this should help.

Also, went the extra mile & grouped all like things together, and organized into bigger containers. We buy deli meat for paninis & then break into smaller packages to freeze. My husband doesn't always search the freezer before buying more, as evidenced to the 12 bags I found of meat. Now that everything is grouped into larger ziplocks, it should make it quick & easy to determine how much we have, and cut down on waste.

For tomorrow (or, maybe today? No sports for the kids, so should really take advantage.) I need to organize our hall closet. It holds all of the random things. Scared to open it, let alone clean it. But, every time I open it, it annoys me.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #707 on: November 26, 2017, 05:10:52 AM »

kinda curious.....what is the name of the Dutch equivalent of goodwill? (yes, i'm a travelling thrifter).

De kringloop! --> Here's a list where you can search for adresses per province. https://www.kringloop-info.nl/adressen-kringloopwinkels-nederland/ (website in Dutch).

that's the biggest and most well-known (oldest as well I think). But there are lots and lots of other ones too. In my area, there is a 'Hebbus!' and a 'noggus & noggus'. As well as some more fancy 'boutique' like goodwill stores. For example 'appel en ei'.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #708 on: November 26, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »
Today's odd chore is to work on the laundry room. I had it all neat and tidy, and then did a major closet over-haul and some of that stuff that I couldn't deal with ended up in the laundry room.

Also, this week I need to get some random stuff together and take it to the donation center.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #709 on: November 26, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »
-Organized scary hall closet
-Cleaned/decluttered kids rooms
-Cleaned the microwave (has been on the to do list "forever")

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #710 on: November 28, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
Last night I moved everything off the bathroom counter, wiped it down, and rearranged it - mostly moving the fish tank to the other side.  And getting my electric toothbrush plugged back in - somewhere along the way it got unplugged and shoved in a basket - now I can use it again!

I still need to figure out how to hang my small cabinet on the wall.  I bought it because the bathroom has one big cupboard under the sink, with no shelves or drawers to organize smaller items.  And there was no medicine cabinet, just a big mirror above the sink.  So I bought this one at IKEA.  But I've never got it installed on the wall - it just sits on the countertop.  Getting it up on the wall would really unclutter the counter, and make the bathroom sink area far more functional.  But even moving it to the other side works better with the way that the door opens, so partial improvement!
'To be human you must bear witness to justice. Justice is what love looks like in public." 
Dr. Cornel West

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #711 on: November 28, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »
PJ!!!!!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #712 on: November 28, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
PJ!!!!!

Hi to you too!  :-)

Ok, odd chore for today - raked up a couple bags of leaves in the nice warm afternoon sun.  What a gorgeous day it was here, wish I'd spent even more of it outside.

'To be human you must bear witness to justice. Justice is what love looks like in public." 
Dr. Cornel West

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #713 on: November 28, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
Washed the car today.  It was 15C, and that's spectacular for November here.  Next week will probably bring blizzards.  : )
When life shuts a door, open it again. It's a door.  That's how they work.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #714 on: December 11, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »
We still needed to install a lamp in the bedroom. Lamp case had been bought, been laying around the house for weeks and I finally fixed it. Hung up the lamp, connected the electricity and... it worked! Yay for me! Had never done that before, but it went well and I learned something new :)

middo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Learning.
« Reply #715 on: December 11, 2017, 06:52:08 PM »
Replaced a couple of Venetian blinds last night.  They have been samaged for a while, and replacements came out at half price. One more to do tonight.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #716 on: December 12, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »
Have noticed a few marks on our hallway wall. Finally had the lights on full blast yesterday for other purposes, and noticed that it was, in fact, blood splatter. And, there was a lot more of it than I thought. One of the kids? A stubbed toe, maybe? Yay. Anyway, got that all cleaned up.

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #717 on: December 12, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »
I love this one.

Today I'm going to put together a bed for in-laws that are staying with us over Christmas.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #718 on: December 12, 2017, 11:30:14 PM »
Finally painted the bedroom trim and cut it and put it up.   It had been mostly (80%) cut and sitting in the bedroom for 6 years.   I still have to caulk and topcoat, but what a difference.    Unfortunately, I need to buy one more 8 ft piece to finish one door.

I can't wait for the new headboard we are getting for christmas (we have gone 12 years without one), so a complete master bedroom clean up and prep is well worth it. 

Other tasks because I have guests coming this weekend:
Washed off the back deck and put pressure washer into storage where it won't freeze,
Scrubbed walls for finger prints (2 floors),
Got out the plaster for wall repair.
Fixed a broken picture frame and hung it back on the wall.
Scrubbed stairs to basement,
Made chocolate fudge balls,
Made butternut squash soup
Moved all furniture to properly clean the area rug,
Caulked the kitchen counter where it meets the wall,
Replaced lightbulbs, including the weird halogen ones that are $$ and I have been ignoring until more burn out.
Scrubbed the kitchen floor on my hands and knees to get the spots that the standup mop doesn't.
Finished all the laundry in the house.  (still needs to be put away)

And tomorrow is another day!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #719 on: December 16, 2017, 07:03:33 AM »
Cleaned out our little garage which was getting too full to be able to pull into.  Took a few hours over about 3 days. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #720 on: December 16, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »
This is a small one, but a few months back, we broke our milk jug. (The glass container we keep in the fridge, that we decant the giant, Costco size containers of milk into.) The jug helps prevent spillage when the kids (or, sometimes adults) pour milk. Today, I dug threw the cupboards on a search for a backup option & found something! This should help keep the fridge & counters cleaner, & reduce spills. Always a win.