Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164813 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #650 on: August 26, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »
Visiting my parents. Discovered my mother had labeled/stickered all of her out of date canned foods. I decided it had to go so I cleaned out her pantry. I found peanut butter that had expired in 2008. It's not as if she was ever going to eat it, she's just unable to throw things away. I've gone through the refrigerator now too.
My local food bank will take food up to one year past the expiration date.

Last month, I did an Estate/Moving Sale for a friend who has a) A large pantry and b) Alzheimer's. We had to discard five large boxes of food. Such a waste. Alzheimer's and the damn food.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #651 on: August 26, 2017, 11:12:09 AM »
OK - after reading the above, I'm inspired to go through our cold storage room.  I know there are things there that are past their dates, but know that I've kept them, because dates don't always mean you should throw it out.  I've already found spaghetti sauce that is dated November 2011 (not a brand we usually use, but it was on sale, the only one the store had, excuses, excuses, so I got it thinking we would try it anyway.  Nope - sat there all this time).  Heaven knows what other horrors I will find in there.  : )

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #652 on: September 01, 2017, 07:27:47 AM »
Need2Save, your wonderful list made me want a house! When it's broken down like that, the jobs sound fun to me!

Well done on your progress.

Haha.  The ultimate goal is to sell our house in a few years, so I guess it depends on where you are coming from.  We plan to be homeless for a while, during a long-travel period and then possibly/rent or buy somewhere else in the U.S. (smaller house for sure). It's not anytime soon though. I just want to be 'ready' when the finances line-up and not have to do a massive blitz on the house to get it ready to sell at that time. It helps if you get to these maintenance chores and purging a little at a time. Plus, living here for 8 years now, our use and abuse of things is starting to show. 

This holiday weekend, my goals are:
1. Clean the ceiling fans (we have 4 of them)
2. Touch up the ceiling paint in son #2's bedroom (I just repainted his walls and doors)
3. Steam-clean carpet in said son's bedroom and the main living areas (tv/family room for example)
4. Go through papers in office and file/purge unneeded paid bills, etc.  We try to do this every 4-6 months to tame the paper beast.
BONUS CHALLENGE: Replace screen for remaining 3 windows.

If I can do those 4 things over a 3-day weekend, I'll be very happy.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #653 on: September 01, 2017, 12:47:38 PM »
I finally got the toilet installed.  Before setting it, I repaired the wallpaper that had been behind the old one.  Also laid a new vinyl tile floor.  Not ideal, but our floors are a little bouncy, and I wasn't prepared to strip down/reinforce the subfloors to install ceramic tile.   I am very pleased with how it turned out.

Also finished the cold storage room.  Not as many horrors as I feared, but did find some canned drinks that had been shoved to the back, and had been there so long they were starting to leak.  0_0

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #654 on: September 02, 2017, 04:55:21 AM »
-Got new passport pix taken for my kid
-Tidied up the alley/trash area behind one rental
-scraped 3 years of gunk off shower walls at another rental (I'd post a pic, but it is pretty gross).
-borrowed some space in 6 of my neighbors' trashcans to throw out nasty pillows and blankets left behind at said rental just before the trash pick up (with FIRE, one can be there at the right time to do this.....). 

We have a property manager who normally does these things....but its been a good reminder getting a little back involved.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #655 on: September 04, 2017, 06:45:29 AM »
-Tidied up the alley/trash area behind one rental
-scraped 3 years of gunk off shower walls at another rental (I'd post a pic, but it is pretty gross).
-borrowed some space in 6 of my neighbors' trashcans to throw out nasty pillows and blankets left behind at said rental just before the trash pick up (with FIRE, one can be there at the right time to do this.....). 

We have a property manager who normally does these things....but its been a good reminder getting a little back involved.

It's posts like these that make me terrified of getting into rentals.  People can be very gross!

I did not yet do #4 above or my bonus challenge.  However, I did tackle a mountain of paper in my son#1's room yesterday including recycling several bags worth of old high school and college paperwork and also rounded up about 2 bags worth of totally unused/brand new school supplies from his room and around our house that I am going to give to my SIL who is a teacher and can use the supplies.  We also rounded up a stack of about 12 AP and SAT study guides that her younger kids can still use, now that my kids are done with High School.  So it feels good to pass along those things to someone who can use them.

We've also decided to host a yard sale in 2 weekends when the church up the street has their fall YS (free advertising and more foot traffic), so that is motivating me to round up items from the house that can be sold then.  We decided to donate all $ proceeds to our local food bank. The goal is just to get rid of some unused items from our house to keep the purge train going.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #656 on: September 04, 2017, 03:05:17 PM »
Between our neighbor's house burning last month, and all the hurricane talk, I finally was spurred to take pictures of the contents of our house and upload to dropbox.  It's not every item and a price list, but enough to "walk through" and remember most of what we have. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #657 on: September 06, 2017, 04:04:46 AM »
Spent two hours catching up on weeding my front yard. If I can keep sneaking in an hour here and there I might eventually get it under control...

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #658 on: September 07, 2017, 10:27:57 AM »
Cleared out some room in the freezer, cleaned the crumbs that collect at the bottom, and am slowly adding some mason jars 2/3 filled with water.  Stuck a few in the fridge, too.  We're expected to get heavy winds here from Irma, so if the power goes out, they'll be good thermal mass.  If it goes out for a long time...they'll be good drinking water.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: September 09, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »
Disconnected the dryer and cleaned out the vent pipe.  There was a LOT of lint packed in there!   Made a note in the calendar to do this next year, and not wait 6 years again. <hangs head in shame>

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #660 on: September 10, 2017, 03:49:18 AM »
Washed a couple of very dirty windows.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #661 on: September 10, 2017, 06:37:01 PM »
Painted the entryway/foyer. Still needs a second coat, but first I have to make dinner.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #662 on: September 16, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »
Our Saturday yard sale was a moderate success.  We priced things to go with true yard-sale prices since we were motivated to move unwanted things from our house. Most things were priced 25 cents to a dollar with only a few things which were more valuable in the $5 to $10 range. We sold a ton of things including all but a small handful of Halloween decorations. We also gave away free a ton of white wire shelving which we took out of our master closet last year when we redid the shelves.

We made $100 for our time/effort which will be donated to our local food bank on Monday.  With the items that didn't sell, we took one tub full of clothes, another box of shoes, and miscellaneous household goods/decorations and already dropped them off at Salvation Army.  The box of books will be taken to the library drop off next week. I only put one small box of stuff, one chair, and one aquarium back in the basement for when the next yard sale spark hits us (maybe next spring or again next fall).

Now that we are over the yard sale hump, it's my plan to organize, seperate, and purge several boxes of sentimental stuff in our storage room.  These are mostly pictures of my family over the last 20 years, a few things I held on to for some dumb reason from before we were married, and a box of framed pictures which I plan to take out of the frames and add said frames to the yard sale pile for next time.  This may be my big winter project as I think it's going to take a lot of space and time to go through everything and decide how much (how little) I should keep for my sons.  I may try to scan in some photos for a photo book for each of them and purge all the duplicates and my god - all the pictures of kids I don't even remember their names now!  Why did I take pictures of so many other kid's birthday parties? It's my goal to have no more than one box for each of them.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #663 on: September 16, 2017, 04:28:44 PM »
Tidied under the kitchen sink and cleaned up the trash bucket and recycle bin I inherited from a former tenant. 

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #664 on: September 18, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »
Washed all our cloth grocery bags. Boy, they were nasty.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #665 on: September 20, 2017, 01:15:41 PM »
I'm not sure whether to put this here, or as a money saving post, diy, etc., but it's 'odd', so......  : D   Everything I used for this I already had.

A few weeks ago, we had our furnace and a/c replaced.  While removing the furnace, the techs tore the vinyl floor in the laundry/utility room.  It's a pretty big and ragged tear - maybe 12" x 18", and completely torn away from the floor. Since the furnace is at the front of the room, you see it every time you go in there, and it looked awful.  I could have made a fuss/demanded a new floor, but eh, the house is 25 years old and the floor was already scuffed up.  I also did not want to remove the washer, dryer, shelving units, etc. to put in a new floor.  I've painted vinyl floors before, so I decided to see what I can do with it.  Glued down the torn piece and used floor leveler to fill in the gaps.  Luckily it's a mottled fake tile pattern, so I'm layering in paints that I have that match pretty well.  I've got it looking good enough I think to put the 'grout' lines back in on the patch tonight, and then I'll coat it with floor gloss/sealer.   The alternative was to paint the whole floor - I'm glad the patching is working instead.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #666 on: September 22, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »
The door to the cold storage room wasn't latching correctly, so I fixed that today.  Also put some weatherstripping on the door.

We had an energy audit as part of our furnace install, so did the recommended draft proofing the tech suggested.  Gaskets on outlets, sealing the attic hatch, and sealing some gaps between the wood surround and metal framing of the gas fireplace.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #667 on: September 24, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »
I simply don't have the time or energy for one odd chore a day, since I still work full-time, and I have a part-time side hustle on the weekend. Not to mention taking care of a house and yard on my own. So I am going to modify the challenge to be one odd chore a week. Hope that is OK.

The chore I am setting for myself in the upcoming week is to take several boxes of shredding from the side hustle that is stored at my house to the commercial shredding center. Client will reimburse me.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: September 24, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »
I simply don't have the time or energy for one odd chore a day, since I still work full-time, and I have a part-time side hustle on the weekend. Not to mention taking care of a house and yard on my own. So I am going to modify the challenge to be one odd chore a week. Hope that is OK.

The chore I am setting for myself in the upcoming week is to take several boxes of shredding from the side hustle that is stored at my house to the commercial shredding center. Client will reimburse me.

I tend to do things in bursts, not every day, and I haven't been kicked off the thread yet.   : p

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #669 on: September 24, 2017, 09:15:34 PM »

I tend to do things in bursts, not every day, and I haven't been kicked off the thread yet.   : p

Clearly someone is slacking in their odd chore of managing this thread.

I got my husband to attach a table top that I pulled from a roadside giveaway to a table base I pulled from bulky trash. Franken-table. Oh, and he cleaned the outdoor chairs too. These were odd chores on my list, but of course the odd part was mostly that he did them.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #670 on: September 25, 2017, 01:30:41 AM »
Weeded a garden bed that REALLY needed it.

Now the trick will be, once I've caught up on my backlog of weeding, to make it a small regular chore rather than an odd one...

FallenTimber

• Stubble
« Reply #671 on: September 27, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
Finally painted the vaulted ceiling in the living room. Been dreading that for months. Lots of beams made edging real fun.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #672 on: September 27, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »
All edging is from hell. Good job getting that done!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #673 on: September 28, 2017, 04:38:00 AM »
Finished off a sewing project that had been sitting around. Not exactly a "chore" but I was procrastinating getting it done, so...

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #674 on: September 29, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »
Happy to report that I did take the shredding in to the shredding place.

My tasks for this week will be to take two more bags of clothes to donate and buy a can of Scotchguard and apply it to the couch and chair.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One &quot;Odd&quot; chore a day
« Reply #675 on: September 30, 2017, 09:25:47 PM »
My odd chore is to list items for sale.

I listed four and two are gone, two are pending pickup.

Feel bad for not doing it so long.

My next task is to list more items for sale. I want to list atleast 100 items before December so our next move is way easier.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #676 on: September 30, 2017, 09:51:22 PM »
I like this challenge!

Today I did phase 1 of the gardening needs - pulling up the spent plants.

Also crazy glued the semi-broken washer handle. Hopefully it will set and keep us from having to replace the part.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #677 on: October 01, 2017, 02:26:11 AM »
Cleared out another garden bed (so much weeding!).

Tomorrow: call and cancel my roadside assistance (we have double cover by accident, hence cancelling). Posting it here will mean I do it, right?

Anygivenlindsay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #678 on: October 03, 2017, 06:28:27 AM »
I've been stalking this thread for a couple weeks and finally made an account so I can participate. Thanks so much for starting this thread! We moved into a house that had almost all original features from when it was built in the 70s (not the good 70s stuff - it included original brown? carpet!). The stuff that had been updated was done so poorly by renters. Slowly but surely we're getting things done. Last night the project was hanging a mirror we built for the entryway. Side note, can one of the subsequent days be correcting the height at which we hung the mirror? Measure twice is a real thing that needs to happen!
Keep up with all the good work everyone!

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #679 on: October 03, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »
Joining, since I've been following this thread for so long.

Yesterday, I finally painted the shelves I bought for my kitchen. I had to let them dry overnight, but hopefully I will get them set up today so I can do a few other odd chores that have been waiting on them.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #680 on: October 03, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
Dug the kids' table and chair set out of the garage and cleaned it up.  It's getting passed on to grandson this Christmas.

Anygivenlindsay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #681 on: October 03, 2017, 08:18:37 PM »
Hung up the towel bar in our bathroom

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #682 on: October 06, 2017, 08:34:10 AM »
Partially fixed my bike, after a month of letting it annoy the crap out of me. The chain was rattling. So I cleaned it up and gave it some fresh oil. Now I'm waiting for my boyfried to get the chain nicely tightened again, since I can't get this screw to move and tighten.
I'm pretty proud of myself, normally I would've brought my bike to the nearest shop and let them fix it. But I did it, I didn't break anything and learned a couple of new things today :)

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #683 on: October 09, 2017, 07:58:23 AM »
I got the kitchen shelves assembled on Saturday, and filled them wih food on Sunday, along with putting away all my wedding presents. The next odd chore will be returning duplicates for gift cards.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #684 on: October 10, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »
We got a new thermostat which is of course a different size than the old one, so patched the hole that still shows.  Will touch up the paint later today so I no longer have a pink undercoat patch on a beige wall.  sidenote:  why oh why did this builder use bubblegum pink paint as the undercoat everywhere in this house?  Was he a fan of Barbie?  Did he have a bunch from another job to use up?  I have never seen this before, and hope to never see it again.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #685 on: October 10, 2017, 06:43:02 PM »
I repaired the front door, then touched up the paint, all before the cold weather hits.  Win!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #686 on: October 11, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »
Cleaned the filters for the furnace today.  We went from mid 20sC to 10C this morning - winter is coming.  Brrrr.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #687 on: October 15, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »
Task for the week: Buy and install new blinds for the living room.

Next week: New curtains to go with the blinds.

Been meaning to do these two things for over a year.

Had a 6 hour flight home yesterday and lot of things got put on the list.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #688 on: October 22, 2017, 05:42:16 AM »
Recent 'Odd' jobs completed by the Need2Save family:

1. Emptied everything out of our freezer. Cleaned it out, tossed 'mystery meat' and other wonders. Used up several things already.
2. Checked credit reports and filed a request to delete mystery address from profile.
3. Froze credit so noone can open a new account without our knowing it.
4. Opened a Donor-Advised Fund (DAF) for current and future charitable giving. Post coming on our blog either today or tomorrow.
5. Set up detailed budget for 2018 (we always have ballpark, but then we detail it out in the last quarter of the year prior).
6. Refined our projected 'FIRE' date assumptions.  A little over 5 years and counting! Woo-hoo.
7. Scheduled annual checkup with Gyn and will take care of mammogram shortly following when I get the order from my doc. (It's breast cancer awareness month. When was your last mammogram?) Hubby also scheduled his annual physical.
8. Signed up for maximum HSA contributions for 2018.  Hubby and I split our insurance to take advantage of the employer contributions at each of our jobs, but we make sure not to exceed the combined family contribution limit.
9. Switched bedding from light/summer to our fall/winter duvet - all warm and toasty!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #689 on: October 22, 2017, 08:10:05 AM »
Task for the week: Buy and install new blinds for the living room.

Next week: New curtains to go with the blinds.

Been meaning to do these two things for over a year.

Had a 6 hour flight home yesterday and lot of things got put on the list.

Update:
I bought the blinds, but I may be quitting my job soon, so I am considering returning them as that is $280 I don't need to spend right now if I am out of work.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #690 on: November 10, 2017, 07:42:22 AM »
Since we are probably selling our house in a couple of months, I decided to pick up a couple of 'odd chores' the coming weeks, to make our house look at its finest before we put it up for sale.

Todays chore was cleaning out the (tiny) garage and finally securing the storage solutionthing to the wall, so that we can put everything neatly away and make our tiny garage seem a bit bigger than it actually is.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #691 on: November 10, 2017, 08:37:59 AM »
littlelykke - good luck getting ready for your house listing.  I know that can be stressful to keep your house looking it's best for an extended period! Wishing you a speedy and profitable sale.

We are getting ready for Thanksgiving here:
1. Did self-clean cycle on both wall ovens
2. Cleaned the bits of food and grease that get trapped between the wall ovens
3. Detailed the gas stovetop (it's stainless steel and we use Bartender's Friend to keep it clean, which then gets trapped in the grooves of the burners some times)
4. Ordered our fresh turkeys from local turkey farm (no they are not cheap, but we like to buy fresh and local for this one holiday)

Unrelated to Turkey Day:
5. DH listed about 20-25 items on Ebay for sale
6. Winterized the outside hose bibs

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #692 on: November 11, 2017, 03:31:49 AM »
littlelykke - good luck getting ready for your house listing.  I know that can be stressful to keep your house looking it's best for an extended period! Wishing you a speedy and profitable sale.

[...]

Thank you :) We will see how it goes :)

Today's odd chore: deeeeeeep cleaning the bathroom. It has never been this clean :P

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #693 on: November 11, 2017, 05:18:54 AM »
I too have bursts of odd job completion.

Cleaned the bedroom light fixture.
Disconnected and emptied  the rain barrels.
Attached the downspouts.
Brought all the concrete garden ornaments inside.
Return some tools borrowed from the neighbor.
Cleaned out the bird feed Barrel.
Wiped out my dresser drawers. Cleaned a basket.
Cleaned a bunch of belts
Sorted some of the kids clothes.
Went looking for winter clothes.
Helped my son to clean up his room.
Remove the fountain pumps from the ponds and brought them inside.
I moved all the hoses and connections and brought them inside.
Shut off the main water supply and openned the tops outside

It is amazing what I'll get done when the temperature is going to drop below zero for a couple of days.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:23:53 AM by Frugal Lizard »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #694 on: November 11, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »
Since I've worked on several of my days off lately, I've been pretty unmotivated to keep up with regular stuff around the house even when I am home.  I guess the thinking is that I "deserve" some down time.  But I also "deserve" a clean and tidy house!

So though it's not really an "odd" chore, I'll post that I emptied out a couple of bags from that spot in the house where shopping bags, purse, work bags, etc tend to accumulate.  And also relocated a couple of things from the coffee table where many many things have accumulated.  If I do that 50 more times, the coffee table will be clear again...

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #695 on: November 11, 2017, 09:10:34 AM »
Put out the outside Christmas lights (but won't turn them on until December).  Dug out our winter hats, mitts, etc.  It's supposed to warm up again next week, but the snow we got yesterday was a good reminder to do all this before we have 3 feet of the white stuff out there.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #696 on: November 11, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »
My odd chore -- inviting SIL's family to dinner tonight.   I don't think I have ever done that before without inviting the grandparents, too.   DH doesn't reach out to his family much because of his personality, not because of the family..   But if I never make an effort, family ties won't happen.

ETA:  Went ok.  The cousins, who normally don't interact much had an absolute blast together.   (ages 11-17)   I don't seem to click, but for a family effort, went ok.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:27:06 PM by Goldielocks »

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #697 on: November 12, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »
Sorted and reduced the contents of the out of control box of gift bags.  Recycled every bag that was damaged or not my taste for reuse and sorted the remainders into Christmas, Birthday, General, and Wine. Still have surplus but at least I now know what I have and will never need to buy another gift bag!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #698 on: November 12, 2017, 11:17:21 PM »
Went through all my daughter's clothes and packed up anything summery and also a different bag for outgrown items. Then I reorganized my own closet and nailed a hangy thingy to the wall inside the closet and hung up my sweaters on that. I did my son's closet a few days ago.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #699 on: November 13, 2017, 12:15:59 AM »
Repaired the hinges on the bedroom window today.  The window wouldn't shut easily when we opened it, so when we got it shut last it stayed that way.  That meant we couldn't allow the cool breeze through the room in the afternoon, with subsequent airconditioning at times.  Now we can open and close the window easily.  New flyscreens next.  :)