Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164826 times)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #550 on: May 19, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »
Freecycled some unwanted items

Potted some artificial succulents for a place that doesn't get enough light for real ones.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #551 on: May 21, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
I need to hop on board. Tomorrow I will go room by room and make my list.

Today: Deep cleaned one of the bathrooms, including decluttering drawers and under the sink. Feels good to have that done. Tomorrow I will do the other one, but it doesn't get used much, so shouldn't be too bad.

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #552 on: May 21, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »
I cleaned the oven today.  I didn't have quite enough cleaner so it will need a second pass, but it looks considerably better.  I also cleaned the tracks on the sliding glass door.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #553 on: May 22, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »
Cleaned out my aunt's storage unit for her. She's 83 and lives in another country. Wasn't much in there thankfully. Get to deliver some items to her friend later this week.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #554 on: May 23, 2017, 02:22:30 AM »
Cleaned off my desk and filed everything in the paper sorter.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #555 on: May 23, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »
Went through big pile of toys in living room and picked out a few for upcoming church tag sale. Reunited as many as I could with missing pieces and fixed a few broken ones so they could actually be played with. Cleared out clutter from under couches.

Weeded small vegetable patch and transplanted poor sad tomato/pepper seedlings which should have been transplanted weeks ago... doubtful that many will make it.

Finally washed out old compost pot that has been outside since last summer, when we discovered it was the source of endless horrible flies in the house. Brought it back inside and crossing my fingers that the flies will not come back.

Cleared off 4 cluttered surfaces in house.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #556 on: May 25, 2017, 08:47:44 AM »
Our grandbaby is bringing her parents to visit for a nice, long weekend.  Somehow the closet in the guest bedroom has become quite full. I'll be clearing it out today so they can use it. This may only mean moving boxes into the garage, but that's still a chore, right?

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #557 on: May 26, 2017, 04:16:01 PM »
Started the de-cluttering of my closet, but it is going to take more than just one stab. How is it that I have so many clothes, but never feel like I have anything to wear?

Going to try two (yes two!) pairs of fancy sandals that I bought for my son's wedding over two years ago, and didn't end up wearing. If I can't sell them, they are going in the Give-away box.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #558 on: May 26, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »
Today I turned my compost pile, weeded and amended my wheelbarrow raised bed (now played out with greens all bolting) and planted radishes and marigolds, went to town for paint, and painted boards for our soffits. Husband put up a bunch of soffit, but a bunch left to go.

Yesterday I deep cleaned the stove and replaced the reflector pans (3/4 had rusted to the point of having pinprick holes in them).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #559 on: May 26, 2017, 08:15:23 PM »
In prep for the visit mentioned above, the boxes were merely moved to the office, because what's in them is going to take some deliberating and/or scanning to determine if they can safely go away. Closet now usable, but I took a shortcut to get it that way.

To atone for this, I cleaned out 2 pantry drawers and the refrigerator, which I had put off for far too long. Hooray!

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #560 on: May 28, 2017, 04:20:57 PM »
Hemmed some pants that had been ironed and pinned for 3 weeks!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #561 on: May 30, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »
I finally got back to the laundry room/workshop.  Task for today was to clean up the workshop area - sort everything, clean it, and pitch what isn't needed anymore.  Why do I have so many paintbrushes?   And why are so many of them huge?  I do all the painting in the house, but rarely use anything but a 1" or 2" brush.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #562 on: May 31, 2017, 12:22:35 AM »
Yesterday I went through all the winter stuff for the four of us.  Some of it went into the donate box and some things even got thrown out. I washed the rest and packed it all up into plastic tubs and put them into the storage shed until fall/winter. Then I hung up all the summer hats where the scarves used to be. Yea summer! (Except today it decided to go back to cold and rainy. Of course.)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #563 on: May 31, 2017, 03:38:37 AM »
Filled out forms, scanned and emailed them, and paid a bill. My achievements have changed a bit with a newborn in the mix!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #564 on: May 31, 2017, 05:50:16 AM »
Last night I put foil on the window on the front door. It was a small job, but should help with the A/C costs a bit.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #565 on: May 31, 2017, 06:47:00 AM »
Back from vacation, time to get back to the odd chores.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #566 on: May 31, 2017, 08:12:02 AM »
I took last week off while my boyfriend was visiting and we knocked out so many things on the to do list.

Most notably: Sell car and Buy new phone (iphone 4 was losing it's will to continue). Also sealed my raised beds, planted the garden, cleaned the garage, fixed so many different odds and ends, primed the window frames (painting them is still on the list), fixed a leak and the fence at the rental property and made so many other decisions and small progress towards other items on the list.

Yesterday I painted the concrete steps leading up to the front door. The old paint was chipped so badly there wasn't much left on the steps. Looks so fresh and clean now. :) Also worked on the dandelion problem. It's brutal.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #567 on: May 31, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
I painted the scratched screws on my bathroom switchplate with a tiny paintbrush and white Rustoleum.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #568 on: May 31, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »
Killed off a bunch of invasive honeysuckle and privet down by the public road at the foot of our mountain.

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #569 on: May 31, 2017, 05:27:21 PM »
Submitted my expense report for last week's work trip to LA.  Time to get back at it.

Also, helped my 17 year old daughter set up a Mint account.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:31:09 PM by Frugalicious »

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #570 on: May 31, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »
Cleaned up the front entryway and put some flip flops, umbrellas and jackets in the giveaway box.

I saw a listing online today for a condo I am interested in. I have been thinking about downsizing to a condo someday, but someday may have come sooner than I thought. Which means ... the Odd Job list may have to get fast tracked so I can sell my house.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #571 on: June 01, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »
I cleaned my sewing machine and fixed the tension.  Can't find my machine oil so I ordered some and will oil it when it arrives.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #572 on: June 01, 2017, 05:51:48 PM »
Repaired a baby toy, paid all bills and made sure things are running smoothly for this month.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #573 on: June 01, 2017, 11:47:50 PM »
I saw a listing online today for a condo I am interested in. I have been thinking about downsizing to a condo someday, but someday may have come sooner than I thought.

How exciting!

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #574 on: June 05, 2017, 06:31:54 AM »
Ok, I've been avoiding this thread and all the ones related to decluttering or house projects but it's time to join. With a newborn coming in Nov, it's high time I organize the appart and declutter. Another thing is with 80% of my wardrobe useless for some months, I need to organize my closet.
Tonight I have to do some cooking so my odd chore would be to clean the sink a la Flylady or the bathroon, if I have time both.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #575 on: June 05, 2017, 10:07:34 PM »
I finally installed the ecobee!  Had to hook up an extra wire, so it was an advanced beginner level installation.  I feel very accomplished.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #576 on: June 06, 2017, 12:40:52 AM »
Ok, I've been avoiding this thread and all the ones related to decluttering or house projects but it's time to join.

Hahahahaha! This is me too!

Joining to get the rest of my unpacking done from our move. Today I unpacked an orange cloth bag from Powell's Books! yay me!

Nancy

« Reply #577 on: June 06, 2017, 04:02:42 AM »
I'd like to join! I haven't been on the forums in a dog's age. This challenge is just what I need before I move.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #578 on: June 06, 2017, 04:04:05 AM »
We have a clown-sized garage, 1050 sf, which hasn't sheltered a car since we bought this place four years ago. It's mostly quite organized and we store a lot of stuff that supports our involvement in our community. However, there are plies of clutter that have to be dealt with. I've been working on them little by little over the last week. It's starting to make a visible difference, for which I am quite pleased. Last week, a Girl Scout Leader asked via freecycle for canning-type jars for a craft project. I was able to give her 60, plus assorted other crafty items, which resulted in an empty cabinet for the win.

Incremental progress.

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #579 on: June 06, 2017, 05:22:08 AM »
Ok didn't do any odd chore yesterday. I did arrive home late, 10 past 9PM. That's not an excuse I know. Today, I'll have to do one.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #580 on: June 06, 2017, 05:36:53 AM »
I retrieved a couple of documents from our safety box, scanned them and returned them all in the same day. That's amore.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #581 on: June 06, 2017, 05:39:04 PM »
I have not updated this thread in so long because I have been in an insane odd chores marathon. Basically I have been doing 2-3 hours a day working on odd chores in a real push to get all my outside spaces in gear by the end of June. After being sick for a few years my property was an overgrown mess, as of today there are still a few areas to work on but it looks 100x better and I am getting daily compliments from family, friends and neighbours! It is such a positive mental boost. The best part, I have done it all with an insanely low budget!

The rest of the month for me is fixing porches/decks, painting them, a new garden bed, more shrub pruning and weeding. Oh and decorating my front porch will be the icing on the June cake. :)

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #582 on: June 06, 2017, 05:59:32 PM »
I hemmed a pair of my daughter's pants.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #583 on: June 06, 2017, 07:01:43 PM »
Sprayed roundup on the weed crop.  Again. 

Soon, we'll do mulch. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #584 on: June 07, 2017, 01:24:30 AM »
Put just one thing in the give away box, but that was more than I did on most days since our move, so there's that...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #585 on: June 07, 2017, 02:00:28 AM »
Returned containers which had been used to gift me food. If my brother is going to go to the trouble of bringing me meals, the least I can do is return his Tupperware in a timely fashion :-)

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #586 on: June 07, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
I really fell off the wagon for a couple of months, but I am trying to get back into the odd-jobs mode. Today I finally assembled the new rolling cart to contain the Lego tornado and put all the errant Legos in my daughter's room into it. So much better.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #587 on: June 07, 2017, 01:28:47 PM »
Half reorganized our coat closet.  A little flummoxed about how to make the space more functional.  In addition to coats, it stores shoes, brooms and a mop, and my sewing machine and ironing board.  Storing boots is such a pain.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #588 on: June 07, 2017, 04:58:22 PM »
Collected all the little jars of paint and half full paint cans with colours that don't match our rooms anymore.  Stirred in paint hardener so I can put it all in the garbage tonight.  Also broke down a bunch of small Amazon boxes to add to our recycling box.   The garage already looks neater.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #589 on: June 07, 2017, 05:42:28 PM »
I have a refrigerator and an upright freezer in the garage. (Yes, I'm prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse.) The refrigerator requires a firm push toward the bottom to assure it's closed, which is, of course, accomplished with a foot, as one's hands are always full. The face of both and the handles were looking pretty gross. Today, I nuked them and they look like new. Happy. Took longer to type this than to complete the chore. There's a lesson there somewhere.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #590 on: June 08, 2017, 01:02:51 AM »
Half reorganized our coat closet.  A little flummoxed about how to make the space more functional.  In addition to coats, it stores shoes, brooms and a mop, and my sewing machine and ironing board.  Storing boots is such a pain.

i use this.  There are larger ones too.  Soft sides so they shift to accomodate other stuff in the closet.
https://www.jysk.ca/storage/shelves/alice-10-shelf-organizer.html

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #591 on: June 08, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
Decided today was the day to strip out all the old caulk in our shower and redo it.  Took forever, but it looks so much better.  I've been procrastinating about this chore for over a year, so I'm glad this thread gave me the kick I needed to get it done.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #592 on: June 09, 2017, 06:58:18 AM »
Decided today was the day to strip out all the old caulk in our shower and redo it.  Took forever, but it looks so much better.  I've been procrastinating about this chore for over a year, so I'm glad this thread gave me the kick I needed to get it done.

Nice! I did this a few months ago, and it is so satisfying to be in the shower with the clean-looking caulk!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #593 on: June 09, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
I have been avoiding my hobby bench (electronics) because it is so cluttered.
When I finish this post I will go and clean it up.
 I'll edit about progess if/when I finish.

EDIT: Great, I got it cleaned up, parts restocked and have one project that I can work on again.
I almost got derailed when I picked up a stack of reciepts, one was from a restuarant from my daughters graduation where I had Grouper Picatta, it was very good. I was deciding where the receipts went while sitting in my computer chair, I almost Googled Grouper Picatta to see how to make it, but caught myself, I filed the receipts and continued the cleanup.
  Btw, that was not a very Mustachian meal, I paid $160 for 4 of us and left a $35 tip. But your only daughter only graduates from college once right? No, not in my case, that was her second, BS, now she studying for her masters, and then dental school. I'm saving for two more dinners :-)
Next is to tackle my computer desk, but not now!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:03:11 AM by BTDretire »

lamil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #594 on: June 09, 2017, 09:55:42 AM »

What are the most important items you use on your hobby bench?  I have a bunch of small electronics that I've kept around with the intention of eventually taking them apart and learning more about the internals and finding things to mess around on. Any suggestions?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #595 on: June 09, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »

What are the most important items you use on your hobby bench?  I have a bunch of small electronics that I've kept around with the intention of eventually taking them apart and learning more about the internals and finding things to mess around on. Any suggestions?
Do you mean tools?
Soldering iron,  DVM, oscilloscope, Light, optivisor, DC power suppply, variac, signal generator, frequency counter, and battery operated drill and bits, for starters. I have an inductance/capacitance meter and multiple other test meters.
  I do more repair than design, but I have built may items over the years, mostly from other peoples design.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #596 on: June 09, 2017, 04:54:57 PM »
Fixed two locks in the house.
Rearranged baby clothes and changing table for easier access to everything we need.
Cleared out all the stuff/paperwork hospital sent us with and made followup appointments with everyone
 concerned. Just need to wipe down a suitcase before it goes back inside.
Did a grocery run for the week - we are good to go for a few more days.

Need to empty a dresser top from all the crap on it but I might take some time doing it based on how well baby cooperates. Also need to activate a Fitbit but I guess I'll let DH do it for me. He loves fiddling with it while I don't, so off it goes onto his plate.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #597 on: June 09, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
Posting mostly to follow.  I did finish sorting through a box of papers that I've moved at least twice, shredded and tossed most of it.  Still need to put away the files I kept for now.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #598 on: June 10, 2017, 04:21:17 PM »
So far today:
  • Took the mountain of recycling to the depot
  • Picked up the broken branches and fallen pinecones in the yard from the big storm we had on Thurs. night
  • Took the refundable bottles in (got $33.40)
  • I'm on my way out in a bit to pick up a small table for the deck. I sold my big set, so I'm buying a used table for $20
  • This week I have continued to put at least one thing/day in the give away box. Usually it is more, but the rule I have made for myself is 1/day

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #599 on: June 10, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
The last three days' odd chore was cleaning the deck.  Oh, what fun.  At least I got it done before the really hot weather gets here in the next few days!