Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 43639 times)

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #500 on: April 19, 2017, 03:56:39 PM »
I've been MIA lately.  My odd chore for the end of March was having a baby!  He's almost three weeks now and I'm home with him, so I have some time for odd chores and projects.

Well done, well done, SimpleCycle!! That's one task you don't want to procrastinate too much!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #501 on: April 19, 2017, 05:55:14 PM »
Congratulations, SimpleCycle! I bet he's just beautiful.

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #502 on: April 19, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
Tried to replace old can recessed lights with new LEDs, but the new fixtures don't sit flush with the ceiling.  Tried to fix with double stick tape, but it didn't stay stuck.  So I guess "finish installing lights" is still on the to do list.

Cleaned out the drawer that holds my workout and lounge clothes.  I have way too many workout clothes.  I'm keeping them for now but I might decide to get rid of some soon.

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #503 on: April 19, 2017, 09:47:27 PM »
Oh and I cut my hair.  I've been trying different tutorials and I think this one came out well.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #504 on: April 19, 2017, 10:16:38 PM »
Tried to replace old can recessed lights with new LEDs, but the new fixtures don't sit flush with the ceiling.  Tried to fix with double stick tape, but it didn't stay stuck.  So I guess "finish installing lights" is still on the to do list.

We had a similar problem.  The replacements were from Costco and have these springy wires sticking up that go into the can to hold it up (which didn't really do the job).  Our old cans have 2 tabs sticking out from the sides with slots in them.  We squished each pair of wires together, stuck them into the slots, and the light draws up and is now firmly in place.  Hopefully yours will have something similar.

If this doesn't make sense, there's a youtube I found that showed something similar - that's the only way I figured it out.  The directions weren't helpful at all!

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #505 on: April 19, 2017, 11:18:05 PM »

We had a similar problem.  The replacements were from Costco and have these springy wires sticking up that go into the can to hold it up (which didn't really do the job).  Our old cans have 2 tabs sticking out from the sides with slots in them.  We squished each pair of wires together, stuck them into the slots, and the light draws up and is now firmly in place.  Hopefully yours will have something similar.

If this doesn't make sense, there's a youtube I found that showed something similar - that's the only way I figured it out.  The directions weren't helpful at all!

Thank you!  Ours are the same ones from Costco, so I'll try it.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #506 on: April 20, 2017, 05:53:06 AM »

If the old cans are intact, why not just use replacement LED bulbs instead?

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #507 on: April 20, 2017, 07:13:51 AM »

In this case, because the plastic part of the old cans was old and yellowed.  If I can't make the Costco ones fit, I'll see if I can replace the plastic part and get bulbs.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #508 on: April 20, 2017, 07:25:29 AM »
+100 To the Costco LED can lights, because that's my guess as to how many we have purchased/installed since they started carrying them.

Some months ago, I started a thread looking for Silent Auction Fundraising ideas. The big event is this weekend. Wrapping up all the details has been a laundry list of chores over the last few weeks. The retail value of what we've collected is $37,000. I can't wait/am nervous as hell to see how much we actually raise.

Now to figure out what to wear...
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #509 on: April 20, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »
+100 To the Costco LED can lights, because that's my guess as to how many we have purchased/installed since they started carrying them.

Some months ago, I started a thread looking for Silent Auction Fundraising ideas. The big event is this weekend. Wrapping up all the details has been a laundry list of chores over the last few weeks. The retail value of what we've collected is $37,000. I can't wait/am nervous as hell to see how much we actually raise.

I just ordered a long black chiffon skirt from EBay, $7.50 shipped. I will let you know what it's like. I have a ton of dressy tops I can wear with a black chiffon skirt.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: April 20, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »

In this case, because the plastic part of the old cans was old and yellowed.  If I can't make the Costco ones fit, I'll see if I can replace the plastic part and get bulbs.
Ours were yellowed, too, and smaller as well, so we had to touch up the ceiling. <joy>  But the Costco LED lights have a diffuser and look very nice.  They're bright, though!

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
Re: One &quot;Odd&quot; chore a day
« Reply #511 on: April 20, 2017, 09:59:22 AM »

I just ordered a long black chiffon skirt from EBay, $7.50 shipped. I will let you know what it's like. I have a ton of dressy tops I can wear with a black chiffon skirt.
Oh, I plan on shopping in my closet. Problem is, I told DH if he'd wear his (thrifted) tux, he could choose my dress. The one he prefers (thankfully, a hand-me-down) doesn't go with any shoes that I own. I didn't really want to go shoe shopping, as I have enough, in general. FWP, I know.
A Lot Like This

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #512 on: April 21, 2017, 10:27:17 PM »
I think I did my oddest odd chore today. I was browsing Facebook around 6PM and saw that a friend had commented on a charity's post requesting set up help for a yard sale just up the street - at 6PM.  So I walked up there and helped drag box after box after box of donated goods out of their garage and set up tables.

I would never have seen it had my friend not commented. So random.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #513 on: April 22, 2017, 10:07:25 AM »
That was nice of you.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #514 on: April 22, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
Very nice. Did you score any frugal treasures as you were setting up?
A Lot Like This

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: April 22, 2017, 11:22:43 AM »
Nope. I rarely find anything I need (or even want) at yard sales or thrift stores, but at least the rain held off, so I hope it went well.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #516 on: April 22, 2017, 12:38:23 PM »
Took 18 lbs of paper in for shredding.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #517 on: April 22, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »
Nope. I rarely find anything I need (or even want) at yard sales or thrift stores, but at least the rain held off, so I hope it went well.
I entertain a lot, mostly involving feeding people. I have loads of party supplies. Almost all of them are used. That's what I look for at estate/garage sales. When I'm done with a big house, it will all go back out into the universe with nary a care.
A Lot Like This

Drole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #518 on: April 22, 2017, 03:41:16 PM »
Recovered the free table I got for my kids' art projects. Old table top had a large tear in the plastic/fabric cover. 

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #519 on: April 22, 2017, 08:12:32 PM »
In totally non-frugal odd chores, I ran errands today and picked up supplies to make my daughter a purple stuffed walrus.  $15 later, she's going to be super psyched.  I figured out how to print large PDFs on multiple 8.5x11 pieces of paper so that saves me a trip and a few dollars in printing costs.  Tomorrow I sew!

mies

• Stubble
« Reply #520 on: April 23, 2017, 10:19:28 AM »
I finally applied weed and feed to our lawn. That stuff has been stinking up my garage for the last coupe of weeks.

I also finally put the new wheels, cassette, chain, and brake pads on my wife's bike. Those have been sitting around for about month. I didn't have any luck getting the rear derailleur readjusted with the new wheels so we had to go to the bike shop to get it readjusted. I couldn't get the shifts to happen cleanly or reliably. It turns out the hanger was slightly bent but the damage was magnified by the new cassette and chain and the fact that the cables were a little sticky from being dirty.
Less is more.

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
  • The ghost in the corner
« Reply #521 on: April 23, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »
I know it's tempting the weather gods, but I put away our winter boots, gloves, etc.  I'm washing winter jackets today, and hoping I don't need to dig them out again until November.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #522 on: April 23, 2017, 11:15:01 AM »
I can't say, I've been doing one odd chore a day but this week I have...

Put some drain cleaner down the shower drain that was running slowly.
Cleaned the bottom of the garbage bin.
Dyed some faded clothes black again.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #523 on: April 23, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
In totally non-frugal odd chores, I ran errands today and picked up supplies to make my daughter a purple stuffed walrus.  $15 later, she's going to be super psyched.  I figured out how to print large PDFs on multiple 8.5x11 pieces of paper so that saves me a trip and a few dollars in printing costs.  Tomorrow I sew!

This is very cool!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #524 on: April 23, 2017, 10:34:55 PM »
I cleaned out the brush on the vacuum cleaner. Boy was it bad. A combination of not doing it for awhile and new carpet that had lots of fuzzies still to come off.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #525 on: April 24, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »
This weekend: Found some picture frames and matted/framed some artwork I had. Took out a garbage bag and collected garbage all around my house, yard, neighbours, road etc.. So tired of my dirty neighbours who just throw garbage everywhere. Overseeded my lawn with clover seed. Visited my parents and helped them with chores (my mom is recovering from knee surgery)

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #526 on: April 24, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »
Hubs and I worked on the garage on the weekend. Much more spacious.  And less dusty/dirty.  All bikes are washed and tires inflated.  All cars got washed and vacuumed.  Snow shovels up on the hooks. (watch us get walloped with a foot of snow next week)
Seeing the possibilities

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #527 on: April 24, 2017, 04:21:06 PM »
Tonight I'll be cleaning up and putting away a new pile of random crap that my husband accumulated on the kitchen counter. >:(

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #528 on: April 24, 2017, 11:30:43 PM »
Returned for refund four items that had been waiting up to several years for their little journey home.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #529 on: April 25, 2017, 05:17:35 AM »
Went through medicine cabinet and bagged all that had expired. We are down to a couple of medicines now. Also finished a multi vitamin bottle we've had for some time. Now both my husband and I can use the same one and bit have two different bottles.

Drole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #530 on: April 26, 2017, 04:23:11 PM »
So a friend is trying to raise money for a national charity.  I can't say I love the group, but I'm sending out donation request letters.  33 letters sent today.  One positive response so far.  I'm sure I'd get more if I pounded the pavement, but since its not near and dear to my heart.....

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #531 on: April 26, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »
Washed the car windscreen and rear window. Not the whole car, because I give zero fucks if my car is dirty. But visibility is important.

I'd been waiting for the rain to wash my car windows for me (car lives outside with no protection from the weather), but we're having the driest Autumn ever, seems like.

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #532 on: April 26, 2017, 10:32:31 PM »
I'm working to strike a balance of odd chores and regular chores.  The odd chores are more fun!

Today I sewed a cloth menstrual pad to see if I liked the pattern and it was a success.  So I ran to the fabric store for a couple yards of flannel because it was on sale until today.  I also sewed three bibs for the baby.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #533 on: April 27, 2017, 12:12:55 AM »
Emptied my safe deposit box.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #534 on: April 27, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »
I am so far behind in this thread, work has been insane lately!

Monday - Tuesday: Dropped off a bag of donations, Fixed a drain, Potted up some succulents

Today I am working from home and taking frequent movement breaks. So far today:

I moved a postal cabinet to my temporary office. (24 drawers and 4 oaks stacking units that had to be individually moved)
I emptied out my front hall dresser into a big bin (purses, winter accessories etc..) and moved that dresser upstairs to my bedroom
Rearranged the furniture in my bedroom and decorated the top of the dresser

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #535 on: April 27, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
Installed some hooks in the garage to hang the small stroller we bought for when grandson comes to visit.

Cleaned a couple of table top fans.  I always intend to clean them before I put them away for the winter, but never do.  Maybe in the fall that can be one of my "odd" chores.  : )

Drole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #536 on: April 27, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »

@Dicey: I think you might have been the one who posted somewhere else in these boards about some of your silent auction efforts.....I'd love to pick your brain a little.  I'm working on one right now that is a chore, but I decided that I can also work on one for my kid's school at the same time and THAT one, I will enjoy.  Feel free to PM if that's easier.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #537 on: April 27, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
Reseeded bald patches in the lawn with three year old grass seed. As soon as I had done so, the rain which had been pouring for three days promptly stopped, so I had to schlep a watering can out.  Not sure that this will be a success, but at least the seed is no longer cluttering up my garage!

I transplanted flowers from cheap plastic pots to a nice metal hanging pot that I've had for a few years, and hung them up. Emptied out soil and dead plants from some other pots and threw them away. This was all a little harder than it had to be because I had to tidy the garage a little in order to find my trowel, which I hadn't seen in a year.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #538 on: April 27, 2017, 09:34:58 PM »
Released ginormous uni textbook; repaid unused govt grant amount.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #539 on: April 28, 2017, 05:03:49 PM »
I spray painted a metal geometric wreath I bought after Christmas on super sale and then hung it in my bedroom with magnets. I had to glue gun the earth magnets to the wall as its double brick and I didn't want to drill holes. It worked out perfectly, can't see the magnets and if I want to remove them I can just pop them off the wall with a little force. Great little DIY solution.

I decided the dresser I moved upstairs yesterday needs a bit of funk added to it. It is an antique but not in perfect condition and the dresser is stained very dark which sorta hides the design on the drawers. I will be painting some of the dresser, which as a vintage/antique collector I rarely do but it needs it. I will be doing this odd chore tomorrow using paint I already own. It's not the exact colour I would choose but it's the frugal option.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #540 on: April 28, 2017, 11:10:16 PM »
Cleaned the carpet and put everything back in place.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #541 on: April 30, 2017, 07:40:18 AM »
Saturday: ended up buying some paint and painting my bedroom side table and parts of my dresser. The colour is slightly off from my vision but it's growing on me. I also moved quite a few rocks for my new rick garden.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #542 on: May 02, 2017, 01:34:06 AM »
Saturday: ended up buying some paint and painting my bedroom side table and parts of my dresser. The colour is slightly off from my vision but it's growing on me. I also moved quite a few rocks for my new rick garden.

Salvo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #543 on: May 04, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »
I'll join in on this challenge!  Just moved into our house November 2015 and it needs a lot of little things.  Started going through with a notebook room by room to get an idea and the pages filled up fast!

Today's project is to disassemble an exercise bike that is taking up too much space so some parts can be sold and the frame scrapped.

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #544 on: May 04, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »
Many, many eons ago in the days of dial up internet,  I had to run a phone line along baseboards, over a door frame, etc. to get it where I needed it to be.  I have been too lazy to remove it, and patch the tiny holes from the clips.  Today I will finally remove everything, patch the holes, and then touch up the paint tomorrow.

SimpleCycle

• Bristles
« Reply #545 on: May 04, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »
Welcome Salvo!

Yesterday I sorted through the kids' clothes and made a list of what I need to get.  We have two sets of hand me downs on the way, so hopefully we'll just have to fill the gaps.

Today I'm going to install our smart thermostat.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #546 on: May 04, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
Goldielocks - that's funny!! Good catch :)

So this week has just been insane. I have not done much outside of regular chores.

I did get my bedside table completely painted but my dresser still needs another coat. I am saving it for this weekend. I also stained a few scratches on my floors, looks much better. I have been repotting some plants and propagating new babies for Christmas presents. Other than that, I have not done much. Hoping to hit the list this weekend.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #547 on: May 04, 2017, 07:48:17 PM »
Packed hospital bag and got the car seat and bassinet ready. Definitely happy to have these odd chores completed. Now the baby can come whenever and we are ready!

Went through all the paper and scanned and shredded and filed everything.

Now need to start working through the remaining odd chores on the list.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #548 on: May 04, 2017, 07:48:49 PM »
I cleaned out my handbag. It's much lighter without all that paper clutter...

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #549 on: May 05, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »
Oh man, why did I have to open this thread? I do not need any more challenges in my life...

Okay - Okay:) I emptied the knife drawer, sorted out all the accumulated junk, like wine corks and mystery doohickeys, cleaned it all up and installed a new drawer liner. Love the result - voila - pretty and functional.
Maybe I'll tackle the baggie drawer next...