Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164834 times)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #500 on: April 26, 2017, 10:32:31 PM »
I'm working to strike a balance of odd chores and regular chores.  The odd chores are more fun!

Today I sewed a cloth menstrual pad to see if I liked the pattern and it was a success.  So I ran to the fabric store for a couple yards of flannel because it was on sale until today.  I also sewed three bibs for the baby.

LindseyC

• Stubble
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #501 on: April 27, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »
I am so far behind in this thread, work has been insane lately!

Monday - Tuesday: Dropped off a bag of donations, Fixed a drain, Potted up some succulents

Today I am working from home and taking frequent movement breaks. So far today:

I moved a postal cabinet to my temporary office. (24 drawers and 4 oaks stacking units that had to be individually moved)
I emptied out my front hall dresser into a big bin (purses, winter accessories etc..) and moved that dresser upstairs to my bedroom
Rearranged the furniture in my bedroom and decorated the top of the dresser

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: April 27, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
Installed some hooks in the garage to hang the small stroller we bought for when grandson comes to visit.

Cleaned a couple of table top fans.  I always intend to clean them before I put them away for the winter, but never do.  Maybe in the fall that can be one of my "odd" chores.  : )

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #503 on: April 27, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »

Some months ago, I started a thread looking for Silent Auction Fundraising ideas. The big event is this weekend. Wrapping up all the details has been a laundry list of chores over the last few weeks. The retail value of what we've collected is $37,000. I can't wait/am nervous as hell to see how much we actually raise.

@Dicey: I think you might have been the one who posted somewhere else in these boards about some of your silent auction efforts.....I'd love to pick your brain a little.  I'm working on one right now that is a chore, but I decided that I can also work on one for my kid's school at the same time and THAT one, I will enjoy.  Feel free to PM if that's easier.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #504 on: April 27, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
Reseeded bald patches in the lawn with three year old grass seed. As soon as I had done so, the rain which had been pouring for three days promptly stopped, so I had to schlep a watering can out.  Not sure that this will be a success, but at least the seed is no longer cluttering up my garage!

I transplanted flowers from cheap plastic pots to a nice metal hanging pot that I've had for a few years, and hung them up. Emptied out soil and dead plants from some other pots and threw them away. This was all a little harder than it had to be because I had to tidy the garage a little in order to find my trowel, which I hadn't seen in a year.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #505 on: April 28, 2017, 05:03:49 PM »
I spray painted a metal geometric wreath I bought after Christmas on super sale and then hung it in my bedroom with magnets. I had to glue gun the earth magnets to the wall as its double brick and I didn't want to drill holes. It worked out perfectly, can't see the magnets and if I want to remove them I can just pop them off the wall with a little force. Great little DIY solution.

I decided the dresser I moved upstairs yesterday needs a bit of funk added to it. It is an antique but not in perfect condition and the dresser is stained very dark which sorta hides the design on the drawers. I will be painting some of the dresser, which as a vintage/antique collector I rarely do but it needs it. I will be doing this odd chore tomorrow using paint I already own. It's not the exact colour I would choose but it's the frugal option.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #506 on: April 28, 2017, 11:10:16 PM »
Cleaned the carpet and put everything back in place.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #507 on: April 30, 2017, 07:40:18 AM »
Saturday: ended up buying some paint and painting my bedroom side table and parts of my dresser. The colour is slightly off from my vision but it's growing on me. I also moved quite a few rocks for my new rick garden.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #508 on: May 02, 2017, 01:34:06 AM »
Saturday: ended up buying some paint and painting my bedroom side table and parts of my dresser. The colour is slightly off from my vision but it's growing on me. I also moved quite a few rocks for my new rick garden.

Salvo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #509 on: May 04, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »
I'll join in on this challenge!  Just moved into our house November 2015 and it needs a lot of little things.  Started going through with a notebook room by room to get an idea and the pages filled up fast!

Today's project is to disassemble an exercise bike that is taking up too much space so some parts can be sold and the frame scrapped.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: May 04, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »
Many, many eons ago in the days of dial up internet,  I had to run a phone line along baseboards, over a door frame, etc. to get it where I needed it to be.  I have been too lazy to remove it, and patch the tiny holes from the clips.  Today I will finally remove everything, patch the holes, and then touch up the paint tomorrow.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #511 on: May 04, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »
Welcome Salvo!

Yesterday I sorted through the kids' clothes and made a list of what I need to get.  We have two sets of hand me downs on the way, so hopefully we'll just have to fill the gaps.

Today I'm going to install our smart thermostat.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #512 on: May 04, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
Goldielocks - that's funny!! Good catch :)

So this week has just been insane. I have not done much outside of regular chores.

I did get my bedside table completely painted but my dresser still needs another coat. I am saving it for this weekend. I also stained a few scratches on my floors, looks much better. I have been repotting some plants and propagating new babies for Christmas presents. Other than that, I have not done much. Hoping to hit the list this weekend.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: May 04, 2017, 07:48:17 PM »
Packed hospital bag and got the car seat and bassinet ready. Definitely happy to have these odd chores completed. Now the baby can come whenever and we are ready!

Went through all the paper and scanned and shredded and filed everything.

Now need to start working through the remaining odd chores on the list.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #514 on: May 04, 2017, 07:48:49 PM »
I cleaned out my handbag. It's much lighter without all that paper clutter...

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #515 on: May 05, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »
Oh man, why did I have to open this thread? I do not need any more challenges in my life...

Okay - Okay:) I emptied the knife drawer, sorted out all the accumulated junk, like wine corks and mystery doohickeys, cleaned it all up and installed a new drawer liner. Love the result - voila - pretty and functional.
Maybe I'll tackle the baggie drawer next...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: May 05, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »
Yesterday I cleared all the flat surfaces in the bedroom.

Today I turned in (most of) my final grades for the semester. :)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #517 on: May 05, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
Cleared the crib of all the clothes on it, mostly mine. I have my husband's clothes folded so he can put them away when he comes home. Also repaired two clothes that were bugging me. Will test them on kiddo once she is back from school.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #518 on: May 05, 2017, 05:24:58 PM »
Four more windows, inside and out (our house has 29, which is nice until the spiders attack).

They looked great until the sun hit them.  Demmit.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #519 on: May 06, 2017, 09:54:24 PM »
Sewed a hook and eye on to the front of a 'flyaway' cardigan to make it, well, a bit less flyaway.  If it works out will do the same to a second cardi.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #520 on: May 08, 2017, 04:26:37 AM »
Some months ago, I started a thread looking for Silent Auction Fundraising ideas. The big event is this weekend. Wrapping up all the details has been a laundry list of chores over the last few weeks. The retail value of what we've collected is $37,000. I can't wait/am nervous as hell to see how much we actually raise.
@Dicey: I think you might have been the one who posted somewhere else in these boards about some of your silent auction efforts.....I'd love to pick your brain a little.  I'm working on one right now that is a chore, but I decided that I can also work on one for my kid's school at the same time and THAT one, I will enjoy.  Feel free to PM if that's easier.
Ooh, sorry, I just saw this! Did you email me about this, too? I did answer that (different name) person last week, but haven't kept up with this thread. If that was not you, pm me and I'll forward you a copy. Also, I have photos now, so ping me for a link. Even if it was you, here's something I just discovered, which is kinda similar to something we did, only much, much more ambitious.

http://wcefk12.org/events/taste-and-toast-2017/

On topic: Ahem, reporting in to say I finally completed several odd chores this weekend.
Saturday: Zig-zagged the edges of 24 new white Costco washcloths. Oh, so boring. I have put this off since Christmas. MIL uses one every day, then washes them out with bar soap. Her supply was getting grungy, so I gave her more last Christmas. Why yes, it is May now, but the chore is finally done. May I please count this chore 24 times?

Sunday: A couple of months ago, I bought DH and I new, giant bath sheets from Costco. Have you noticed that towels just ain't what they used to be? I wanted to reinforce the bindings as they tend to give way very easily these days. Sewed both bath sheets today, which was a total bitch of a project. The second one was harder than the first! Before I sewed the towels, DH and I made a dump run to recycle our old king-size mattress. Some folks go to Napa on a lovely Spring day to sip fine wine. We went to the Napa County dump. Fruuuuuuu-gal.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #521 on: May 08, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
Yesterday I finally sat down and claimed a years worth of prescriptions online for my MIL.  Turns out that after the deductible she has 80% coverage.  The meds aren't that expensive but she will get back $160 back.  Win!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #522 on: May 08, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
I cleaned up the piles of crap in the crap laundry room.  Still not pretty, but one can walk in there now.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #523 on: May 08, 2017, 01:01:35 PM »
I moved the stove and dealt with the yuckiness I found there. Swept out dust, dirt, and toys. Then scrubbed the floor where the edge of the stove had been, meaning stuff falls but mopping doesn't quite get it. Then scrubbed the side of the stove that is next to the counter and had spills on it that could never breached to clean. Same for the side of the cabinet. :)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: May 08, 2017, 08:46:07 PM »
Got the spices restocked in kitchen. Took the opportunity to rearrange the drawer containing spices and the shelves where the spices are stored in pantry.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #525 on: May 09, 2017, 07:24:09 AM »
I really cleaned the counter that gets the most dirty use - staining foods such as tea, coffee, beets, mustard, wine.  It gets washed with soap a couple of times a day but every now and then it needs a little hit of bleach to clean it right back to white.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: May 10, 2017, 07:45:01 PM »
Monday I got some paperwork notarized and mailed off so a company can stop charging my account.  Woo!
Yesterday I cleaned off the fridge front of random papers.
Today I ordered and picked up compost for the garden.  I also decluttered some drawers in the living room and tried (to no avail) to finish my mom's framed photo gift for Mother's Day.  Unfortunately my prints came out terribly at CVS and Walgreens photo printing was down.  Hoping to finish it tomorrow, although mom has to pick up her packages at the Post Office so she likely won't get it until Monday now.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #527 on: May 11, 2017, 01:01:10 AM »
Caught up on the digital files on the main computer. Need to back them up and move them to the appropriate hard disk. Also need to make sure I don't have any unsorted folders in my hard disk (which is entirely possible). But a huge load off my mind about computer crashing and us losing all the files and pictures/videos.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #528 on: May 11, 2017, 07:46:54 AM »
Got the construction trash into the trash can yesterday before today's AM pickup. 

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #529 on: May 11, 2017, 11:27:41 AM »
It's been a productive day so far:
-packed up four packages for UPS (a book trade in and three returns of unneeded baby stuff)
-sent warranty information to manufacturer to get a replacement phone charger cable
-registered for family camp and mailed deposit
-listed crib on Freecycle

polarama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #530 on: May 11, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »
This thread motivated me to finally stop lurking!

I organized my spice rack and made a typed list of all of our spices and taped it to the cupboard door.  In doing so, I discovered we had duplicates for some spices and DO NOT need to buy new spices for the foreseeable future (we somehow always think we do not have oregano, no, I have 3 jars of oregano).

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #531 on: May 11, 2017, 03:50:08 PM »
I went over to my Mom's, took her bedroom sheers down, washed them, and put them back up.  She's 87, and hasn't been allowed on a ladder since she was 80.  : )   I also cooked some meals for her yesterday, put them in freezer containers, and loaded up her freezer. 

Now I need to do OUR drapes!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: May 12, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
Cleaned the front common hallway of our condo building.

Cleared off and rearranged the mantel.

Organized the entry closet.

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #533 on: May 12, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
Changed four incandescent lights to LED. With german electricity cost (26ct/kwh), those things pay for themselfs in a year or so. Also, they don't heat up our flat so much during summer. Sold 2 some numismatic coins, making 3 times what I put in. I am keeping 2 to sell in december to christmas shoppers :-)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #534 on: May 12, 2017, 08:18:58 PM »
Started cleaning and organizing the laundry/workshop in the basement.  It's going to take a couple of days, but it already looks better.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #535 on: May 12, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »
Installed (sounds much fancier than hung, right?) the new clothesline and moved the homemade one across the yardage to full sun. Not sure I like the one I bought...it seems poorly made. 

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #536 on: May 13, 2017, 07:23:36 PM »
Spread compost in the garden and turned over the soil.

Decluttered our pantry cabinet.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #537 on: May 13, 2017, 11:36:15 PM »
I made some raised beds a few years ago and didn't seal them. After time they started to look terrible. Faded and stained. I got some wood cleaner and tinted sealant a few days ago and today cleaned 2/5 of the beds. They look SO MUCH BETTER!! Bright just like when they were new. I need to let them dry completely before sealing them, but I'm so excited to see how it'll turn out, and how much longer they will last before they look weathered.

Also finally reinstalled a phone jack after painting a month ago. I don't have a land line and there was a splitter thing that I wasn't sure was important or not. Apparently not. Now it's gone!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #538 on: May 14, 2017, 12:22:59 AM »
I'm on a roll with the sewing machine.  Mended three fraying kitchen towels. Used up a tiny spool of red thread that probably came from a travel kit a long time ago so I didn't have to buy any thread.

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #539 on: May 14, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
I am jumping on the bandwagon.  Yesterday's chores included reading this entire thread beginning to end, taking a load of toys and baby gear to the consignment store, and vacuuming the car.

Today's tasks include cleaning off the back deck and also prepping the handrail for painting.

Edited to add:  Also cleaned both small ceiling fans in the family room.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:36:13 AM by Frugalicious »

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #540 on: May 14, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
New trees in the ground. Courtesy of the DH, but it has been on my list.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #541 on: May 14, 2017, 11:27:41 PM »
All digital clutter in desktop and phones cleared, sorted and backed up.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #542 on: May 15, 2017, 10:37:38 AM »
Finished the cleaning the other three raised beds. I'm SO impressed with the product I used. Now I just need to wait for it to stop raining so I can dry the wood enough to apply the sealant.

Before

After

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #543 on: May 15, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
Looks like new!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #544 on: May 15, 2017, 11:06:04 AM »
Yeah, that's quite the transformation!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #545 on: May 15, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »
Got up on a stepladder with a pillowcase and cleaned my filthnasty kitchen ceiling fan without depositing any dust on the counters or floors (10’ ceilings mean this doesn't happen often enough).

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #546 on: May 15, 2017, 03:08:01 PM »
We had a couple of small bins of old McDonald's happy meal toys, small dinosaurs, etc. in the garage.  Some of these are 30 years old!  I brought them in and washed up the ones that were OK, and trashed a few that weren't.  I'm going to repackage them by theme when they're dry, and will parcel them out a bit at a time to our grandson starting next year (or whenever they are appropriate) when he comes to visit.  My Mom and Dad used to buy them for DS (we didn't go to fast food places all that often) and he thinks it's super that the new Grandma (me) gets to pass them along again.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #547 on: May 15, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »
We had a couple of small bins of old McDonald's happy meal toys, small dinosaurs, etc. in the garage.  Some of these are 30 years old!  I brought them in and washed up the ones that were OK, and trashed a few that weren't.  I'm going to repackage them by theme when they're dry, and will parcel them out a bit at a time to our grandson starting next year (or whenever they are appropriate) when he comes to visit.  My Mom and Dad used to buy them for DS (we didn't go to fast food places all that often) and he thinks it's super that the new Grandma (me) gets to pass them along again.

Another idea is to use them as game trophies or party favors for birthdays.   I found 3 year olds love choosing a prize from the bin... did not care that they were mcDonald toys.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #548 on: May 16, 2017, 09:20:03 AM »

Another idea is to use them as game trophies or party favors for birthdays.   I found 3 year olds love choosing a prize from the bin... did not care that they were mcDonald toys.

That's a great idea.  Thanks!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #549 on: May 16, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »
Cleaned out two bathroom drawers and the kitchen junk drawer today. Now I can find things.