Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164818 times)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #450 on: April 14, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »
Topped up the sand between the pavers out front.  I'm having a bit of a 'war' with a chipmunk - he/she is determined to tunnel between the pavers on the stairs to make a second home (primary home is under our deck).  I'm worried it will undermine the stairs, resulting in shifting or collapse eventually.  So I fill the gap, he digs it out again.  I think I will have to use concrete when I am sure he's not there.  He's missing half his tail, so easy to identify if we see him in the back yard.   Good thing for him I like chipmunks.  : D

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #451 on: April 14, 2017, 06:04:07 PM »
Ok I just spent an hour touching up my paint with the tester pot - PLENTY of paint for the job and my bedroom walls look soooooo much better. I am going to do a second round tomorrow when it dries, just in case I missed any spots. I feel kinda silly I never thought to just buy a tester pot, but usually I have leftover paint for each room, labelled in mason jars for touching up. Lesson learned $4 and the rooms looks 10 times better.

I was so inspired I took down my fabric blinds and curtains and they are presently in the washing machine. If it gets warm this week, I would love to wash my windows. However I am in Canada and it is only April, I might be jumping the gun a bit.

Just don't wash windows then power wash the second week.  You will be washing windows again the week after...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2017, 06:23:38 AM »
Went to the CPA's office to sign our tax returns today. Love it when the return covers the CPA's reasonable fee and not much else. Also, didn't flip a house this year, so nice to back in the 15% tax bracket. Filing taxes counts as a chore, right?

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »
I installed the fountain pump yesterday afternoon.  Now I have my soothing water sounds at the flick of the power bar switch when I sit out on our patio.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2017, 08:05:52 PM »
 Washed two wo Great Danes who are desperately opposed to the whole concept of bathing today

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2017, 08:11:01 PM »
Washed two wo Great Danes who are desperately opposed to the whole concept of bathing today

Oh man. You win. Although we did grind the nails of a very unwilling Old Dog, who resents her feet being touched. Ever. The cheese stick helped somewhat.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #456 on: April 17, 2017, 12:02:31 AM »
I hosted my cousin's husband in our home today. It is a chore due to his frightful personality, and it is odd due to said frightful personality.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #457 on: April 17, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »
Finally the living room painting and hardwood refinishing is done! I still have to do the bathroom and the back entryway, but those are going to have to wait. I need a break!

But now I get to work on more little odd jobs! Yesterday I replaced a tail light that was out and MacGyver'd a fix on the tail light casing so that it's being held on the vehicle with BOTH screws, not just one!

Moved the pea climbing fence to a new, hopefully better location where the peas will get more sun and thrive this year.

Started sorting through photos, organizing and condensing them. Emptied 2 small albums so far for donation.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #458 on: April 17, 2017, 04:01:37 PM »
Yesterday I cooked a bunch of food for an Easter dinner I did not end up going to because I was feeling rough. I also babysat my sisters dog for the afternoon which was a great odd chore.

Today I pulled down the rest of the shrink plastic from my windows. I have my regular Monday night chores to do (I do most boring chores Monday because it generally is my least favourite day) so will probably not get anymore odd chores done.

I feel like I have been slacking lately because work is nuts and I am working long hours. My mental list is starting to get long again and that stresses me out, so I need to figure out a better schedule to still be productive.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #459 on: April 17, 2017, 07:09:27 PM »
-did the taxes
-caught up with medical claims
-made a short term debt repayment plan
-booked vacation time

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #460 on: April 18, 2017, 01:30:54 PM »
Did my taxes. Was a bit more complicated than the year before. Also switching banking accounts to save the fees my bank introduced lately.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #461 on: April 18, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »
I did so many chores over the last few days I can't even list them all! Taxes in the list, lots of cleaning, cooking, scrubbing and clearing out. The toaster oven and the microwave are looking much nicer.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #462 on: April 18, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »
Did a deep clean of the house - everything is sparkling now. Also tried to scrub the walls because my kid had used crayons on it. Partially successful, need to give it another go.

Called bank to enable online access and started a transfer to be eligible for a bonus.

Called carpet cleaning which we get for free but couldn't get hold of them, hope they call me back soon so we can schedule it down.

Called a few schools to enquire about their admission process. Need to tour them before we finalize on one.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #463 on: April 18, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »
I've been MIA lately.  My odd chore for the end of March was having a baby!  He's almost three weeks now and I'm home with him, so I have some time for odd chores and projects.

Today I filed our tax extension (we have an issue we need time to resolve) and sewed two newborn size bibs.  Little one dribbles everywhere when I feed him so this should help keep his clothes clean.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #464 on: April 18, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
Also dropped off a huge bag for donation. I've been adding to it for more than a month and it's finally out of the house. Now to start another bag.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #465 on: April 19, 2017, 07:16:45 AM »
My odd chore for the end of March was having a baby!

:))))))))))   Congrats, SimpleCycle!!

Sounds like you're both feeling good?? Great!

Yeah, we're doing really well.  I'm still sore and have to make sure I don't overdo it, but he's such a happy easy baby, it makes everything easier.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #466 on: April 19, 2017, 07:38:05 AM »
Did a few online organisational tasks I'd been dreading. They were fine in the end!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #467 on: April 19, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
Visited family for Easter and so the odd chores slowed.  But I did take pics and request a refund for an item I ordered that was damaged in shipment.  Also took photos of my old favorite shoes to see if the manufacturer could fix them.  Still waiting on that reply!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #468 on: April 19, 2017, 10:43:18 AM »
Fixed a bifold closet door that had slipped of the track.   Also reorganized our computer/printer supply drawer, so now I know exactly how much paper and how many ink refills are there.  Found some cables I've been looking for forever, so bonus!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #469 on: April 19, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »
Replaced lights in the bedrooms. Fixed a closet door and applied oil to the other squeaky doors in the house.

Scheduled the carpet cleaning for next weekend!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: April 19, 2017, 03:56:39 PM »
I've been MIA lately.  My odd chore for the end of March was having a baby!  He's almost three weeks now and I'm home with him, so I have some time for odd chores and projects.

Well done, well done, SimpleCycle!! That's one task you don't want to procrastinate too much!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #471 on: April 19, 2017, 05:55:14 PM »
Congratulations, SimpleCycle! I bet he's just beautiful.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #472 on: April 19, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
Tried to replace old can recessed lights with new LEDs, but the new fixtures don't sit flush with the ceiling.  Tried to fix with double stick tape, but it didn't stay stuck.  So I guess "finish installing lights" is still on the to do list.

Cleaned out the drawer that holds my workout and lounge clothes.  I have way too many workout clothes.  I'm keeping them for now but I might decide to get rid of some soon.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: April 19, 2017, 09:47:27 PM »
Oh and I cut my hair.  I've been trying different tutorials and I think this one came out well.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #474 on: April 19, 2017, 10:16:38 PM »
Tried to replace old can recessed lights with new LEDs, but the new fixtures don't sit flush with the ceiling.  Tried to fix with double stick tape, but it didn't stay stuck.  So I guess "finish installing lights" is still on the to do list.

We had a similar problem.  The replacements were from Costco and have these springy wires sticking up that go into the can to hold it up (which didn't really do the job).  Our old cans have 2 tabs sticking out from the sides with slots in them.  We squished each pair of wires together, stuck them into the slots, and the light draws up and is now firmly in place.  Hopefully yours will have something similar.

If this doesn't make sense, there's a youtube I found that showed something similar - that's the only way I figured it out.  The directions weren't helpful at all!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #475 on: April 19, 2017, 11:18:05 PM »

We had a similar problem.  The replacements were from Costco and have these springy wires sticking up that go into the can to hold it up (which didn't really do the job).  Our old cans have 2 tabs sticking out from the sides with slots in them.  We squished each pair of wires together, stuck them into the slots, and the light draws up and is now firmly in place.  Hopefully yours will have something similar.

If this doesn't make sense, there's a youtube I found that showed something similar - that's the only way I figured it out.  The directions weren't helpful at all!

Thank you!  Ours are the same ones from Costco, so I'll try it.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #476 on: April 20, 2017, 05:53:06 AM »

If the old cans are intact, why not just use replacement LED bulbs instead?

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #477 on: April 20, 2017, 07:13:51 AM »

In this case, because the plastic part of the old cans was old and yellowed.  If I can't make the Costco ones fit, I'll see if I can replace the plastic part and get bulbs.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #478 on: April 20, 2017, 07:25:29 AM »
+100 To the Costco LED can lights, because that's my guess as to how many we have purchased/installed since they started carrying them.

Some months ago, I started a thread looking for Silent Auction Fundraising ideas. The big event is this weekend. Wrapping up all the details has been a laundry list of chores over the last few weeks. The retail value of what we've collected is $37,000. I can't wait/am nervous as hell to see how much we actually raise.

Now to figure out what to wear...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #479 on: April 20, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »
+100 To the Costco LED can lights, because that's my guess as to how many we have purchased/installed since they started carrying them.

Some months ago, I started a thread looking for Silent Auction Fundraising ideas. The big event is this weekend. Wrapping up all the details has been a laundry list of chores over the last few weeks. The retail value of what we've collected is $37,000. I can't wait/am nervous as hell to see how much we actually raise.

I just ordered a long black chiffon skirt from EBay, $7.50 shipped. I will let you know what it's like. I have a ton of dressy tops I can wear with a black chiffon skirt.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #480 on: April 20, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »

In this case, because the plastic part of the old cans was old and yellowed.  If I can't make the Costco ones fit, I'll see if I can replace the plastic part and get bulbs.
Ours were yellowed, too, and smaller as well, so we had to touch up the ceiling. <joy>  But the Costco LED lights have a diffuser and look very nice.  They're bright, though!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: One &quot;Odd&quot; chore a day
« Reply #481 on: April 20, 2017, 09:59:22 AM »

I just ordered a long black chiffon skirt from EBay, $7.50 shipped. I will let you know what it's like. I have a ton of dressy tops I can wear with a black chiffon skirt.
Oh, I plan on shopping in my closet. Problem is, I told DH if he'd wear his (thrifted) tux, he could choose my dress. The one he prefers (thankfully, a hand-me-down) doesn't go with any shoes that I own. I didn't really want to go shoe shopping, as I have enough, in general. FWP, I know.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #482 on: April 21, 2017, 10:27:17 PM »
I think I did my oddest odd chore today. I was browsing Facebook around 6PM and saw that a friend had commented on a charity's post requesting set up help for a yard sale just up the street - at 6PM.  So I walked up there and helped drag box after box after box of donated goods out of their garage and set up tables.

I would never have seen it had my friend not commented. So random.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #483 on: April 22, 2017, 10:07:25 AM »
That was nice of you.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #484 on: April 22, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
Very nice. Did you score any frugal treasures as you were setting up?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #485 on: April 22, 2017, 11:22:43 AM »
Nope. I rarely find anything I need (or even want) at yard sales or thrift stores, but at least the rain held off, so I hope it went well.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #486 on: April 22, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »
Nope. I rarely find anything I need (or even want) at yard sales or thrift stores, but at least the rain held off, so I hope it went well.
I entertain a lot, mostly involving feeding people. I have loads of party supplies. Almost all of them are used. That's what I look for at estate/garage sales. When I'm done with a big house, it will all go back out into the universe with nary a care.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #487 on: April 22, 2017, 03:41:16 PM »
Recovered the free table I got for my kids' art projects. Old table top had a large tear in the plastic/fabric cover. 

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: April 22, 2017, 08:12:32 PM »
In totally non-frugal odd chores, I ran errands today and picked up supplies to make my daughter a purple stuffed walrus.  $15 later, she's going to be super psyched.  I figured out how to print large PDFs on multiple 8.5x11 pieces of paper so that saves me a trip and a few dollars in printing costs.  Tomorrow I sew!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #489 on: April 23, 2017, 10:19:28 AM »
I finally applied weed and feed to our lawn. That stuff has been stinking up my garage for the last coupe of weeks.

I also finally put the new wheels, cassette, chain, and brake pads on my wife's bike. Those have been sitting around for about month. I didn't have any luck getting the rear derailleur readjusted with the new wheels so we had to go to the bike shop to get it readjusted. I couldn't get the shifts to happen cleanly or reliably. It turns out the hanger was slightly bent but the damage was magnified by the new cassette and chain and the fact that the cables were a little sticky from being dirty.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #490 on: April 23, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »
I know it's tempting the weather gods, but I put away our winter boots, gloves, etc.  I'm washing winter jackets today, and hoping I don't need to dig them out again until November.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #491 on: April 23, 2017, 11:15:01 AM »
I can't say, I've been doing one odd chore a day but this week I have...

Put some drain cleaner down the shower drain that was running slowly.
Cleaned the bottom of the garbage bin.
Dyed some faded clothes black again.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: April 23, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
In totally non-frugal odd chores, I ran errands today and picked up supplies to make my daughter a purple stuffed walrus.  $15 later, she's going to be super psyched.  I figured out how to print large PDFs on multiple 8.5x11 pieces of paper so that saves me a trip and a few dollars in printing costs.  Tomorrow I sew!

This is very cool!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #493 on: April 23, 2017, 10:34:55 PM »
I cleaned out the brush on the vacuum cleaner. Boy was it bad. A combination of not doing it for awhile and new carpet that had lots of fuzzies still to come off.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #494 on: April 24, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »
This weekend: Found some picture frames and matted/framed some artwork I had. Took out a garbage bag and collected garbage all around my house, yard, neighbours, road etc.. So tired of my dirty neighbours who just throw garbage everywhere. Overseeded my lawn with clover seed. Visited my parents and helped them with chores (my mom is recovering from knee surgery)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #495 on: April 24, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »
Hubs and I worked on the garage on the weekend. Much more spacious.  And less dusty/dirty.  All bikes are washed and tires inflated.  All cars got washed and vacuumed.  Snow shovels up on the hooks. (watch us get walloped with a foot of snow next week)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #496 on: April 24, 2017, 04:21:06 PM »
Tonight I'll be cleaning up and putting away a new pile of random crap that my husband accumulated on the kitchen counter. >:(

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #497 on: April 25, 2017, 05:17:35 AM »
Went through medicine cabinet and bagged all that had expired. We are down to a couple of medicines now. Also finished a multi vitamin bottle we've had for some time. Now both my husband and I can use the same one and bit have two different bottles.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #498 on: April 26, 2017, 04:23:11 PM »
So a friend is trying to raise money for a national charity.  I can't say I love the group, but I'm sending out donation request letters.  33 letters sent today.  One positive response so far.  I'm sure I'd get more if I pounded the pavement, but since its not near and dear to my heart.....

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #499 on: April 26, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »
Washed the car windscreen and rear window. Not the whole car, because I give zero fucks if my car is dirty. But visibility is important.

I'd been waiting for the rain to wash my car windows for me (car lives outside with no protection from the weather), but we're having the driest Autumn ever, seems like.