Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 43640 times)

LindseyC

• Stubble
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #400 on: March 22, 2017, 11:54:40 AM »
When we have another month of winter we will know who to blame!

Ha! I actually hope we get another month of winter. My job goes nuts in the spring (nursery industry) and I am way behind on all my winter work projects. My friends generally curse my name around this time of year because I frequently gloat when the temperature drops below freezing. ;)

Odd job for today, I did some research on some new succulents I planted to make sure I am caring for them correctly. I also spent a few hours early this morning proofreading some business documents for a friend of mine. An odd chore that didn't benefit me and was super boring, but it was helpful to my friend so no regrets!

Tonight I am also hoping to strike some super small items off my mental list. Too numerous and fussy to list, but needless to say I will be flitting about the house with my tool belt on!

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: March 23, 2017, 07:45:56 PM »
Replaced a hallway incandescent can light with an LED replacement (required touch up painting of the ceiling since the old trim was a smidge larger than the new).  Now to the one that's 12' over the stairwell landing...

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #402 on: March 24, 2017, 03:11:32 AM »
I had rearranged toys so our plush toys and books had a more sensible arrangement. Happy to say my kid likes it and now cleans up much better. I still need to figure things out with regard to a corner where the plush toys used to live since the living room seems cluttered all the time. And we spend a lot of time there.

Also I cleaned up my car after a month. So satisfying to see it spick and span. Still need to clear the hand rest compartment but that chore is for tomorrow.

I also returned things on Amazon and got money back and filed claims to our insurance and made sure they got everything needed for processing it. Now I need to make sure they really process it and send the checks. I wish the insurance stuff had a easier way to do things. It's too much hassle - why can't we scan and send to a secure system where they upload it or they give us a way to directly upload it? All this faxing and mailing is crazy!!

Finally, this is not an odd chore but I've been working on it every paycheck - pretty close to maxing out 401k for this year. Will take rest of year to actually max out but that is because of my employer's rule that I have to have contributions every paycheck to qualify for the employer match (pretty arcane but....). I'm so glad I can finally put it on autopilot and out of my to-do list and hit the max by end of year.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:13:41 AM by firelight »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #403 on: March 25, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »
WD40'd all the creaky door hinges. My house is so silent now...

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #404 on: March 26, 2017, 05:57:41 AM »
Went through a mystery box in my kid's closet and put away the contents. It mostly had a couple of swim clothes ( right on time for summer) and her hair accessories. I arranged them such that we (and she) can see them easily and wear it everyday. My husband and her went in to dress her up and loved the setup. She already used it twice and loves it. She is only 2.5 so I'm happy I found a system she can use :)

Started on our taxes.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #405 on: March 26, 2017, 07:17:03 AM »
Oh, this one was good for a chuckle. DH's mom has Alzheimer's and lives with us. We recently had house guests. On the last day, over breakfast, they asked why all our doors were so squeaky, especially since DH is a handy guy. We explained that it's a cheap way of tracking MIL's movement around the house. (Funny, her door is squeaking right now.) The noise drives us nuts, but anything that makes it easier to track her that costs zero is a good thing.

On the major chore completed this week list: taxes, hooray! We finished a rehab and rented it out in the first quarter, when bought another and completed it in the middle of the year, ergo lots of details to sort out and organize. It's all at the accountant now, but the results should be good.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #406 on: March 26, 2017, 02:47:32 PM »
I put Missy's 2017 dog tag on her collar and took the 2016 one off.  Small, but important.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #407 on: March 26, 2017, 02:49:21 PM »
I have been so busy lately working overtime and also battling my chronic illness, I have been odd chore slacking however today I got a few done.

I replanted, potted up some of my babies. I also organized and marked a few of my board games for easier playing. (This is important as I belong to a board game group and we share games)

I am also debating cooking a big bulk stroganoff to freeze in single servings. I have been doing at least one bulk cook each Sunday for the last month and it been making taking a daily lunch totally painless and saving me huge time and money. It has also made dinner quite easy the odd night when I have worked late and felt too lazy to cook.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #408 on: March 26, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »
I posted something for sale on Craigslist.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #409 on: March 26, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
Pruned roses and a few other shrubs. Ow.

facepalm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #410 on: March 26, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
Took a box of books to our local friends of the library used bookstore. One box down, several to go!

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #411 on: March 26, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
Went through our laundry closet and put away some empty boxes for recycling. Also found a nice stash of bags I can use for gifts. And found a bunch of baskets that I can either sell or donate if not sold before move.

Along with these, did meal prep for week and started on laundry. Now onto next closet.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #412 on: March 26, 2017, 05:24:47 PM »
Did approximately one million odd chores yesterday. Now I'm too tired to list them all :-P

Oh, this one was good for a chuckle. DH's mom has Alzheimer's and lives with us. We recently had house guests. On the last day, over breakfast, they asked why all our doors were so squeaky, especially since DH is a handy guy. We explained that it's a cheap way of tracking MIL's movement around the house. (Funny, her door is squeaking right now.) The noise drives us nuts, but anything that makes it easier to track her that costs zero is a good thing.

Something for me to consider when I have naughty little ones to keep track of!

Drole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #413 on: March 26, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »
Got the spare bike put away so we don't trip over it daily. 

Moustachienne

• Stubble
« Reply #414 on: March 26, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »
Squeegied the window over the kitchen sink at the MIL's house.  Now to get at the external streaks and smudges!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #415 on: March 26, 2017, 09:34:18 PM »
Something for me to consider when I have naughty little ones to keep track of!

Yep! :)      I mostly track my kid's movements and activities by sound. He thinks I'm psychic. Nope, I just have very sensitive hearing and our house is tiny.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #416 on: March 26, 2017, 10:59:43 PM »
But no harm in letting him think that.  I often explain things with "mommy magic." :)

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »
Well haven't done one yet, well I probably have but not posted it - the little is home sick today and going to do at least one while she sleeps!  Right now, since who knows if it will happen again after she wakes up!

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: March 29, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »
Threw a soup in the instant pot!  Did the quick version in case baby woke up, but she didn't, so now depositing a check that's been sitting around.  Since my phone died a week or so ago I have to set up the mobile depositing app again.  No biggie, just takes a minute but has been enough to keep me from getting it done.  Thanks for being here forum friends!

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #419 on: March 29, 2017, 11:00:19 AM »
I made the most of a tantrum that Baby Poundwise threw this morning. On the way back from dropping off her big brother at school, she refused to get out of her stroller, so I wheeled it into the garage and started to tidy up the workbench.  I managed to sort several handfuls of random screws and nails into our hardware drawers, before she stopped yelling and screaming, got bored, and finally climbed out of the stroller.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #420 on: March 29, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »
Clever parenting there, poundwise!

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #421 on: March 29, 2017, 02:08:50 PM »
Clever parenting there, poundwise!

Hee hee, thanks! It felt good. When we got inside the house at last, she said she wanted to eat a banana, ate one, and gave me a big gooey kiss afterwards.  3 year olds. :)

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #422 on: March 30, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »
Took a box of books to our local friends of the library used bookstore. One box down, several to go!
On behalf of all the "Friends of [insert name here] Library" groups who sell used books, I thank you, facepalm!

This week is our quarterly book sale, so every free moment is occupied with set-up, sale and take-down.

Layered over that is the prep for my other library group's annual fundraising gala. Seems that both the Exec. Dir. and the Program Dir. have elected to take vacation time within three weeks of the event. They are creating artificial deadlines tailored around their [extremely inappropriately timed] travel plans, which is pissing me off royally. Yes, pissed as hell. Thanks for letting me vent here, in private.

All of this activity has seriously hampered my daily "Odd" chore activity.

However, general awareness of this theme is helping my house stay extra clean. I hosted a pot-luck style dinner for eight on two day's notice last Sunday, and it was a total breeze. Thanks, guys!
A Lot Like This

blueberrygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #423 on: March 30, 2017, 10:53:14 AM »
Great idea! Today I'm going to mail in a tax form that should have been sent already.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #424 on: March 30, 2017, 12:40:10 PM »
I taught my kids how to play Monopoly. I know, that's probably not a chore. But I really do see it as a good life skill.

In real chore news, I've been working for three days now on clearing out a room that was being used as storage. It's a real chore, trust me. UGH!!!  But it's getting done....

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
  • The ghost in the corner
« Reply #425 on: March 30, 2017, 01:30:30 PM »
I've been searching out some boxes of old toys in the garage for DS' next batch to take home.  He tells me what he thinks he wants to sell next, and I go hunt them out.  Saves time while he is here, plus I sort of know where everything is, since I put it there.   : )

I have missed a few days of the 'odd' chores, because I was finally catching up on regular chores that were way overdue.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #426 on: March 31, 2017, 09:17:31 PM »
Finally caught up on laundry, finished federal taxes and recycled three magazines

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #427 on: April 01, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »
  • Fix bathroom sink screen
  • Replace switch plates and outlet covers in kitchen
  • Replace bathroom switch plate with half-blank
  • Install new faucet :-(

My plumbing adventures continued, as each step that I took eventually made the sink leak worse. I finally caved after hunting around for parts, and bought a new faucet. I got an open box one from Amazon for less than half of list price, and installed it over the last couple of days. I also now have a bunch of spares for two other old sinks in the house (oh-oh, partial reveal of how facepunch-worthy our house is).

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #428 on: April 01, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »
My wife and I just installed heat reflective window film on our west facing windows.  We have a couple more east facing bedroom windows still to do.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #429 on: April 01, 2017, 03:02:59 PM »
Oiled my paper shredder (now a monthly maintenance item in my Google calendar).

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: April 01, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »
Listed 4 pairs of DH's unworn pants on eBay.  Bought 2.  DH ONLY wears one style of pants, and they're no longer made.  At least they're cheap!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #431 on: April 01, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »
I have been falling behind in posting but still working on projects.

Today I patched a million holes on the walls in my bedroom. Years ago I had hung up a nice collection of artwork and my poor 100 year old walls did not take well to the various screws and heavy art. I rearranged the bedroom so now this wall must be fixed, repainted and redecorated. I'm going with much lighter art this time and much better hanging hardware now that I am a little wiser. Tomorrow I will sand the patches, wash the wall and start touching up the paint. I'd love to repaint the entire room but I have a few rooms in dire need to do first, speaking of which....

I also started scraping the bubbled paint / plaster in my second bedroom that was damaged as a result of a squirrel instigated roof leak. It also damaged a corner in my bathroom that needs a total overhaul. The bedroom is going to need a large area on two walls repaired and the corner of the ceiling. Not fun! The leak is fixed though and my new steel plates will keep the fucking squirrels away.

After the wall is patched and levelled, I will empty this room of its minimal contents (I have been clearing it out for awhile in preparation) then I will wash walls, prime and paint. I also need to clean up the gum wood trim with some fresh stain and some oil. I am seriously debating painting my pinewood floors that are damaged but the cost is a tad prohibitive at the moment so I might just clean them up and restain to tide me over for a few years.

This is my next weeks plan. However I am working crazy hours at work right now and my mom just had knee surgery so I will be helping her out when needed. She lives an hour and a half away so this week might be a total write off.

Hope everyone is doing well and I will see you in about a week to catch up on everyone's chores!!!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #432 on: April 01, 2017, 04:13:44 PM »
Pulled stove out, washed walls all around and floor under. (Is it even more "odd" that I do this every couple of months?)

Drole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #433 on: April 02, 2017, 03:42:06 PM »
Finished two sewing projects that had been sitting around, 95% finished for a few weeks. Still one more to finish, but need some supplies first.

Also yesterday fixed a shirt for DH, dress for DD and two shirts for DS. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #434 on: April 02, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
Unclogged bathroom drain that was taking too long to empty the sink.

Soaked whites in special whitening detergent to reduce yellowing (how DO my sheets get do gross?!).

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #435 on: April 02, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
  • Prepared amended 2013 tax return

Whoo! I've known I had to do this for nearly three years. I was ready to do it last year, then realized the deadline was 3 years after filing, which gave me an extra year to procrastinate. It was so much easier than I feared, and I will probably be paying some penalties. Really dumb to let it go for so long.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #436 on: April 03, 2017, 10:38:24 AM »
Friday: Rented a floor sander and sanded hardwood floors in the living room
Saturday: Filled holes, swept a dozen times, vacuumed with friend's Dyson, applied first coat of stain, fixed leak in air mattress
Sunday: Applied second coat of stain

Since I'm keeping the dogs out of the house until this project is done, and I'm trying to keep myself out of the house as much as possible, I set up camp in the bed of the truck in the garage and also caught up on some reading while the stain was drying.

Tonight I'm putting on the top coat and as soon as it's dry, the painting of walls starts again. Should be quick, they are all prepped and ready to go.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #437 on: April 03, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »
Pulled stove out, washed walls all around and floor under. (Is it even more "odd" that I do this every couple of months?)
It's not odd, but it is amazing! You live in a rented place and you've been sent "On your way" (as they say in Les Miz) and you still care enough to complete this chore? I did not think I could love you more, jooni-ploo.

In Diceyland, I finished the damn spreadsheet, all 14 legal-size pages. Hooray! The book sale was a qualified success, but not without completely unnecessary drama. Maybe when a bit more time has passed, I'll chronicle it in my journal. There will be name-changing, to protect the guilty, required.

Today is going to be a laundry day. Plus, normally my 92-year-old pal comes to my house on Monday afternoons. We do the Sunday NYT Crossword together and she stays for dinner with us. Today, MIL and I are going to have lunch at her house. I am going to make Egg Salad for sandwiches. It will be a nice change-up. Then my walking partner and I will have a nice walk (and talk and vent) together later this afternoon.
A Lot Like This

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #438 on: April 03, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
Changed the filters for my reverse-osmosis water system. They're supposed to be changed every 6-12 months. Basically, I think we drank beautifully clean water for Year 1, and then drank all the junk back during Years 2-3.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #439 on: April 03, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »
It's not odd, but it is amazing! You live in a rented place and you've been sent "On your way" (as they say in Les Miz) and you still care enough to complete this chore? I did not think I could love you more, jooni-ploo.

Haha! Thanks :)    "YOU CAN EVICT ME, BUT YOU CAN'T MAKE ME NOT WASH UNDER THE STOVE!!!!!!" No matter what I naturally do, it will be cleaner when I move out than when I moved in!

Road42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #440 on: April 03, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »
I'm back from vacation! Or rather, from a family trip (we have a friend who thinks it can only be called a vacation if the kids go to grandma's house for the duration...). While we were away we realized that DD is now big enough to no longer need a booster seat in the car! Whee! My baby is now a small-adult-sized young person!

So, I put her booster on Craigslist as my odd chore.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #441 on: April 03, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
I have a car seat to put on Craigslist. Damn kids with all their growing.

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
  • The ghost in the corner
« Reply #442 on: April 04, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »
Did both my and the Mister's taxes today.  Slightly poorer now, but all done until next year.

Drole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #443 on: April 04, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »
Found a bundt pan at the thrift shop for son's bday cake for later this week.  $3.
Found brand new bag with tag at thrift store to donate to silent auction at former school. My cost: 50-cents.  Retail was $59.  (I get a kick out of seeing how much my finds sell for....)
Found an ugly beaded belt that I can repurpose into a pull string. (50cents) (It'll still be ugly, but better than what I have now).
Got a new library card. (Bad news....bought several cookbooks from the library book sale store...major weakness for me). 
Grabbed some freebie books for the kids at the library book store to use as exchange books at the Little Library I take them to each week (we've upgraded so many books, I ran out of crappy ones to trade!)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #444 on: April 04, 2017, 05:09:38 PM »
Yesterday: decluttered a heap of stuff from cupboards we never open / use. Shifted some kitchen things from a hall cupboard to the (gasp!) kitchen, so we can get a better idea of how to use that hall cupboard to its full potential.

Today: rearranged some kitchen cupboards to make more sense. Probably going to do a heap more decluttering and organisation.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #445 on: April 04, 2017, 06:26:16 PM »
Sorted, packed, loaded into car eight bags for thrift :)

...so that drole will have more stuff to buy!

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: April 04, 2017, 09:08:50 PM »
Sprayed weed killer on all the baby weeds today.  Trying to stay ahead of things this year, rather than end up with the disaster that was last year!

Drole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #447 on: April 05, 2017, 08:02:05 AM »
Sorted, packed, loaded into car eight bags for thrift :)

...so that drole will have more stuff to buy!

Yeah, it was a bit of a spendy day bc of the cookbooks.  But now I have finished the beaded pull cord project so that I should no longer have to climb up in a slippery, wet bathtub to reach the blind.  Odd project for the day completed!

Road42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #448 on: April 05, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »
I finally cleaned the shelf that the olive oil and similar cooking stuff sits on. Apparently some of the oil spilled on it at some point, and from then on everything taken from that shelf would leave a bunch of oil anywhere on the counter. It's literally been months of this, but I finally dealt with it.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #449 on: April 05, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »
I finally cleaned the shelf that the olive oil and similar cooking stuff sits on. Apparently some of the oil spilled on it at some point, and from then on everything taken from that shelf would leave a bunch of oil anywhere on the counter. It's literally been months of this, but I finally dealt with it.

So how did you manage to get it clean? (Asking for a friend...)