Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164854 times)

Stachless

• Stubble
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #350 on: March 15, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »
I love this thread - thanks to all for your contributions and inspiration!!

I work from home when not traveling, and have had it in my routine to do some form of chore on days when I don't go to the gym (there are LOTS of these days!).  I had been running low on 'odd chores' but recently just got this little guy from Amazon (Prime of course):

ALL IN ONE Comforday Handheld Steam Cleaner, HIGH PRESSURE Chemical Free Steamer for Bathroom, Kitchen, Surfaces, Floor, Carpet, Grout and more, BEST GERM KILLER and SANITIZER with 9 FREE Accessories
4.5 out of 5 stars    207 customer reviews  | 21 answered questions
#1 Best Sellerin Handheld Steamers

This thing is awesome!  It steams away all kinds of gunk and grime and grease very quickly and comes with a bunch of attachments.  So far I've used it on several windows (perfect - no windex/ammonia required), sealed granite countertops and island, under the microwave (which is mounted above the stove and had incredible amounts of gunk!), the oven window (can actually see what's cooking now!) and even the grimy seatbelts in our cars.

I highly recommend grabbing one for $37 and putting it to work - it is like a Shark Steam Cleaner for everything besides your floors!

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #351 on: March 15, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »
Everyone is doing so well! I love this thread - it's the only challenge I've signed up for that I'm actually consistently living up to.

Today I spackled, caulked, and painted the doors to my basement. The slow whole-house trim reprinting project continues! No one in my family has really noticed, but I think it looks amazing. Of course now I'm realizing that every wall needs to repainted as well....

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #352 on: March 15, 2017, 08:38:32 PM »
I do hospitality for a large group 6x/year. It's a total chore to wash, reorganize and stow the gear after each meeting. I've been doing the laundry as I do my regular family laundry, so I haven't counted it as an odd chore.

Yesterday I finished cleaning and stowing everything. Then I got out everything for next month and packed it all up in three totes. I don't think I need to buy anything but perishables next month. I did all this, but sill didn't finish the expense report referenced above. It was a ton of work, so I'm counting it as two chores. Now, about that expense report...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #353 on: March 15, 2017, 11:29:46 PM »
My odd chore yesterday: pulling apart all the pregnancy goodie bags I've been given at antenatal classes. A lot of the contents were just junk (flyers for services we won't purchase), but I have ended up with a pile of items that we'll use AND a pile that we would never use but which someone else will be very happy to receive as freebies via my Buy Nothing group.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #354 on: March 16, 2017, 11:30:36 AM »
 I'm washing some dishes that got left at the mobile home we lived in before the house was finished (long process, that – lots of mold down there). I've gotten several large baking dishes that I will use occasionally cleaned up, but had no good place to put them, so I finally cleaned out a big lower cabinet that was mostly full of old grocery bags that I won't ever use up.

I'm also soaking some rust stains off the bottom of a glass canister with vinegar. And I turned another rehabbed glass canister into a much-needed salt cellar yesterday.

QueenV

• Stubble
« Reply #355 on: March 16, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »
I haven't quite been keeping up with one odd chore a day, but I do keep this thread in the back of my mind and it's inspiring me to do more than I normally would!  In the last week or so I've managed to:

- email two companies to ask for warranty replacements of faulty products
- go through more piles of papers/mail and file/recycle/shred (this was multiple days)
- organize a box of baby items to go into the attic
- put together a small Ikea shelf and hung it in bathroom (purchased over a year ago)
- took down a different storage item from bathroom wall

Tonight I'm hoping to put a few more boxes in the attic to get them out of my way.

QueenV

• Stubble
« Reply #356 on: March 16, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »
We finally figured out how to play a board game we've had for the past year - 7 Wonders.  Super fun, quick strategy game that's challenging enough to keep playing but simple enough for the kids to grasp. Is it really a chore, you ask? Well, it's something we have been putting off because of how many different pieces the game has, and how convoludedly the instructions explain what is actually a very straightforward game mechanic. But now, we have a new game in our vast nerdy board game arsenal!

Road42, 7 Wonders is one of my favorite games!  I totally agree, the instructions make it sound complicated, but once you start playing it's pretty straight forward.  I think the first time we played it we had to restart 3 times because we kept realizing we were doing things wrong.  :)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #357 on: March 16, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
The good:  I baked the Mister a cake for his birthday today.  The house smells so good!

The bad:  I put away all the bedding, towels, etc. I had ready for the visit our son, DIL and grandson were supposed to make on Monday.  DS is very sick with a Noro type bug.  They had postponed the visit initially til tomorrow, but have totally cancelled as of today.  DS is not well enough to travel.  : (

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #358 on: March 16, 2017, 01:37:47 PM »
The good:  I baked the Mister a cake for his birthday today.  The house smells so good!

The bad:  I put away all the bedding, towels, etc. I had ready for the visit our son, DIL and grandson were supposed to make on Monday.  DS is very sick with a Noro type bug.  They had postponed the visit initially til tomorrow, but have totally cancelled as of today.  DS is not well enough to travel.  : (
Awwww, I hope DS is well soon and that the rest of his tribe sidesteps it completely.  :(((((  Indeed.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: March 17, 2017, 08:26:28 AM »
...have totally cancelled as of today.  DS is not well enough to travel.  : (

:((((((
Poor DS, poor grandma :(((
Hope they're able to reschedule soon...

It'll be a while, but we'll survive. ; D     DS had booked vacation time this week, and would like to keep the days he has left for a summer trip for them.  He was hoping to clear out some more of his 'goldmine' in the garage, aka his childhood toys that sell like crazy on kijiji.   We will probably take the train up one weekend to see them next month instead. (no parking anywhere near their apartment, so no driving there for us).

Chore for today:  I will continue sorting out the bookcases, etc.  I had originally started this as 'babyproofing', but am liking the less cluttered look, so now I'm doing it for us.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:41:15 PM by Shinplaster »

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #360 on: March 17, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »
I noticed my rear window wiper blade was streaking this week, so I stopped at the dealership and bought a new wiper blade insert.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #361 on: March 17, 2017, 03:01:34 PM »
Our 14 year old dishwasher (fixed a half dozen times by DH) seemed to be on its last legs for real this time (draining at odd times).  We went dishwasher shopping and couldn't find anything DH liked (he does the dishes). 

He worked on it again, and it seems okay for now, but the racks are rusty in spots.  Guess what my odd job is today - painting "Rerack" on the rusty bits.  Maybe we'll get another year or two out of this old dishwasher. 

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #362 on: March 17, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
We finally figured out how to play a board game we've had for the past year - 7 Wonders.  Super fun, quick strategy game that's challenging enough to keep playing but simple enough for the kids to grasp. Is it really a chore, you ask? Well, it's something we have been putting off because of how many different pieces the game has, and how convoludedly the instructions explain what is actually a very straightforward game mechanic. But now, we have a new game in our vast nerdy board game arsenal!

Road42, 7 Wonders is one of my favorite games!  I totally agree, the instructions make it sound complicated, but once you start playing it's pretty straight forward.  I think the first time we played it we had to restart 3 times because we kept realizing we were doing things wrong.  :)

Ha! That happened to us with another straightforward game/overdomplicated instructions combo: Evolution. My kids are now totally obsessed with trying out the various 7 Wonders strategies to see what maximizes points. I don't think we've played anything else since we started playing it!

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #363 on: March 17, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »
And, oh yeah - I replaced the old, gross, painted over hinges that were leaking graphite powder all over the basement doors with nice new ones that match the door handles and look modern rather than derelicte. It took a ridiculous amount of time to dig out the paint-covered screws, but so worth it.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #364 on: March 17, 2017, 05:42:05 PM »
Not really checking off any chores, but making progress. I ordered and installed one two oversized outlet covers. I ordered the parts for the bathroom sink that is leaking again. Also ordered backup parts, in case the companies go out of business. The valve stem was $13.00 from one supplier, and over $200 from another, so I figured it's worth the price. My son was home from school, so I gave him some money for odd chores -- washing lots of windows, magic erasering some areas.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #365 on: March 18, 2017, 04:10:08 AM »
I replaced the rear wiper blade on my car this morning. That was way harder than it should have been. It's hard to describe exactly what was happening, but the rubber form the insert kept bunching up and the little plastic fingers that hold the insert into the wiper were getting stuck between the insert and the spring that goes in the insert. After 10 tries, I finally got some soapy water and was able to get everything to slide in without bunching.  I don't remember my wife's car being that difficult when I did the same thing last year. Fortunately, Honda's OEM wipers seem to last a long time, so I shouldn't have to do that again for at least a few more years.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #366 on: March 18, 2017, 08:49:37 AM »

and even the grimy seatbelts in our cars.

This inspired me to clean the beyond grimy dining room chairs (upholstered) that a friend gave us. And best part....they actually cleaned up well!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #367 on: March 18, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »
Our 14 year old dishwasher...

Totally thought you were referring to your kid, lol! The sentence got more and more bewildering as I went along...

And I was all excited, ready to point out to my "twelve year old dishwasher" that, yes, another kid on the planet does live without a machine and wash by hand. D'oh! Will shield his eyes from this thread...

Oh, my mom used to say that she didn't need a dishwasher, because she had 4 of them! 

(Actually, 5, if you count my dad, or 6, if you count my grandfather, who lived with us.  Usually the kids did dinner dishes on a rotation, with granddad drying.)

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2017, 01:25:59 PM »
I just cleaned all the shelves and drawers in my fridge. Oh, and I threw out all the old food to boot.

melbefree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #369 on: March 18, 2017, 06:08:50 PM »
I've been reading through and getting motivated. Took advantage of the nice weather to thoroughly clean the front porch. Dust, dirt, leaves, and bird poo be gone! Now to wash the dog nose prints off the  storm door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #370 on: March 18, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
I finished filling up my ThredUP bag with clothes I no longer want and closed it up and sent it off with the mailman.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #371 on: March 19, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »
This is very small but still satisfying.  I need to clear out old condiments from the fridge but haven't been inspired to get to it in a big way so far.  However, we are doing a one bottle at a time approach which is chipping away at the collection.  Yesterday some ancient miso gravy left the premises; today a bottle of very hot green sauce.   Pro tip - don't buy condiments for one dish only or that you don't really like. And if you do, don't let the sunk cost make you keep them in the fridge forever!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: March 19, 2017, 03:59:41 PM »
I'm cleaning a stroller I picked up cheap on kijiji for when the grandson comes to visit.  The lady had it waiting outside - now I know why.  It reeks of cigarette smoke!  Yuck!  Neither DH or I could smell it on her porch, but I think it's going to take some real elbow grease to deodorize/clean it up.

Side rant:  why do stroller manufacturers make it hard to get the seat covers off to wash?  And why do they make it impossible to take the canopy off?  They do know sticky fingered toddlers are using these things, right?

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »
It has been a few days since I posted, but I caught up with everyone's chores and I am happy to see everyone is still going strong!

I have been quite busy doing chores but haven't posted them because I was too busy! I wont post the full list, just a couple of quick ones.

I bleached/cleaned all my plastic cutting boards, dish rack and washing pad.

Cleaned my trunk out and put the winter emergency kit items away in the house, also removed the bag of salt, winter washer fluid and extra winter clothes. While I was at it I put away a few random items sitting in the car, dusted the interior and then washed all my cloth grocery bags that I keep in the car permanently. Then I decided to check and fill the air in my tires.

I went through my giant drawer of free toiletry samples. Figured out what I would realistically use in the next few months and donated the rest! I also organized them into baggies, so like items are together and everything is easier to find. The drawer which was JAMMED is now half empty. I like free samples because my regular toiletries are extremely simple, but the drawer was getting a little silly.

I moved some of my winter clothes into my second closet and brought forward some of my spring/summer clothes. I had a rethink about this though and have decided I need to do another declutter. I don't have tons of clothes, but some are worn or too big now and I could easily edit down. So I have put this back on my list.

There was more, but that's a pretty good short list!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2017, 05:07:45 PM »
Today I mopped which I know is not an odd chore *ahem* but I spring-cleaned mopped. Moved all the furniture mopped. I also wiped down the legs and backs and seats of the dining room chairs. And I used adhesive velcro circles to hide a cord coming out of a lamp. Well, two of them actually. No one cares, but I how like how tidy it looks.  Oh! And I tightened screws in two living room chairs. My sweet nine-year-old put the legs on, and then I went behind her and re-tightened all the screws. Because, nine.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #375 on: March 19, 2017, 05:09:48 PM »
I glued little felt "feet" to all the kids ceramics projects that we have displayed. Now that I'm repainting all the trim, I don't want their adorable but sharp creations mucking up the newly painted built-in shelves!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #376 on: March 20, 2017, 07:43:19 AM »
Didn't get many odd chores done while camping over spring break. So I eagerly washed the bird poop off the car this AM (learned my lesson on the last car how it can mess up the paint) and got the pliers out to bend back the pokey piece on the fence gate. It kept catching the wheel of the bike trailer. 

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #377 on: March 21, 2017, 05:49:44 AM »
  • Rearrange desk for standing

This was quite involved, and I got rid of a lot of clutter from my office -- 2 monitors and stands, an unused computer, a bunch of accessories, 4 pairs (!) of binoculars, camera. I had to move some modular shelving around, moved the printer closer to the desk, and discovered some stuff for donating or eBaying. I ended up with one nearly empty shelf, and photos that are more visible.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #378 on: March 21, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »
I'm starting to burn myself out with painting and renovating. But I'm done the kitchen walls, and have moved everything out of the living room, ripped out the living room baseboards and the heavy glass block wall by the door. Yesterday I decided I was going to take a day off, but I found a microwave range hood on kijiji for $25, so I went to pick that up and while I was out I swapped out two empty propane tanks for full ones to prepare for BBQ season, something else that has been on my list for a few months.

On the list today is installing the microwave and posting more things to sell on kijiji. Maybe if I get ambitious I'll start fixing and filling the holes in the living room walls, but honestly I think I need to slow down and take care of myself for a couple days. But not too long! I need to figure out how to refinish the hardwood floors so I can have my living room back soon.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #379 on: March 21, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »
Did some such up painting around the house.  Now noticing all the spots I missed.  :-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #380 on: March 22, 2017, 07:23:07 AM »
OMG, finally got the tax preparation done and appointment with the CPA is finished. In the process, I sorted and organized my files and got all the loose pieces of paper off the desk and other surfaces in the office. Hooray!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #381 on: March 22, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »
It has been a few days since I posted, but I caught up with everyone's chores and I am happy to see everyone is still going strong!

I have been quite busy doing chores but haven't posted them because I was too busy! I wont post the full list, just a couple of quick ones.

I bleached/cleaned all my plastic cutting boards, dish rack and washing pad.

Cleaned my trunk out and put the winter emergency kit items away in the house, also removed the bag of salt, winter washer fluid and extra winter clothes. While I was at it I put away a few random items sitting in the car, dusted the interior and then washed all my cloth grocery bags that I keep in the car permanently. Then I decided to check and fill the air in my tires.

I went through my giant drawer of free toiletry samples. Figured out what I would realistically use in the next few months and donated the rest! I also organized them into baggies, so like items are together and everything is easier to find. The drawer which was JAMMED is now half empty. I like free samples because my regular toiletries are extremely simple, but the drawer was getting a little silly.

I moved some of my winter clothes into my second closet and brought forward some of my spring/summer clothes. I had a rethink about this though and have decided I need to do another declutter. I don't have tons of clothes, but some are worn or too big now and I could easily edit down. So I have put this back on my list.

There was more, but that's a pretty good short list!

When we have another month of winter we will know who to blame!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #382 on: March 22, 2017, 11:54:40 AM »
When we have another month of winter we will know who to blame!

Ha! I actually hope we get another month of winter. My job goes nuts in the spring (nursery industry) and I am way behind on all my winter work projects. My friends generally curse my name around this time of year because I frequently gloat when the temperature drops below freezing. ;)

Odd job for today, I did some research on some new succulents I planted to make sure I am caring for them correctly. I also spent a few hours early this morning proofreading some business documents for a friend of mine. An odd chore that didn't benefit me and was super boring, but it was helpful to my friend so no regrets!

Tonight I am also hoping to strike some super small items off my mental list. Too numerous and fussy to list, but needless to say I will be flitting about the house with my tool belt on!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #383 on: March 23, 2017, 07:45:56 PM »
Replaced a hallway incandescent can light with an LED replacement (required touch up painting of the ceiling since the old trim was a smidge larger than the new).  Now to the one that's 12' over the stairwell landing...

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: March 24, 2017, 03:11:32 AM »
I had rearranged toys so our plush toys and books had a more sensible arrangement. Happy to say my kid likes it and now cleans up much better. I still need to figure things out with regard to a corner where the plush toys used to live since the living room seems cluttered all the time. And we spend a lot of time there.

Also I cleaned up my car after a month. So satisfying to see it spick and span. Still need to clear the hand rest compartment but that chore is for tomorrow.

I also returned things on Amazon and got money back and filed claims to our insurance and made sure they got everything needed for processing it. Now I need to make sure they really process it and send the checks. I wish the insurance stuff had a easier way to do things. It's too much hassle - why can't we scan and send to a secure system where they upload it or they give us a way to directly upload it? All this faxing and mailing is crazy!!

Finally, this is not an odd chore but I've been working on it every paycheck - pretty close to maxing out 401k for this year. Will take rest of year to actually max out but that is because of my employer's rule that I have to have contributions every paycheck to qualify for the employer match (pretty arcane but....). I'm so glad I can finally put it on autopilot and out of my to-do list and hit the max by end of year.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:13:41 AM by firelight »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »
WD40'd all the creaky door hinges. My house is so silent now...

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #386 on: March 26, 2017, 05:57:41 AM »
Went through a mystery box in my kid's closet and put away the contents. It mostly had a couple of swim clothes ( right on time for summer) and her hair accessories. I arranged them such that we (and she) can see them easily and wear it everyday. My husband and her went in to dress her up and loved the setup. She already used it twice and loves it. She is only 2.5 so I'm happy I found a system she can use :)

Started on our taxes.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #387 on: March 26, 2017, 07:17:03 AM »
Oh, this one was good for a chuckle. DH's mom has Alzheimer's and lives with us. We recently had house guests. On the last day, over breakfast, they asked why all our doors were so squeaky, especially since DH is a handy guy. We explained that it's a cheap way of tracking MIL's movement around the house. (Funny, her door is squeaking right now.) The noise drives us nuts, but anything that makes it easier to track her that costs zero is a good thing.

On the major chore completed this week list: taxes, hooray! We finished a rehab and rented it out in the first quarter, when bought another and completed it in the middle of the year, ergo lots of details to sort out and organize. It's all at the accountant now, but the results should be good.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #388 on: March 26, 2017, 02:47:32 PM »
I put Missy's 2017 dog tag on her collar and took the 2016 one off.  Small, but important.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #389 on: March 26, 2017, 02:49:21 PM »
I have been so busy lately working overtime and also battling my chronic illness, I have been odd chore slacking however today I got a few done.

I replanted, potted up some of my babies. I also organized and marked a few of my board games for easier playing. (This is important as I belong to a board game group and we share games)

I am also debating cooking a big bulk stroganoff to freeze in single servings. I have been doing at least one bulk cook each Sunday for the last month and it been making taking a daily lunch totally painless and saving me huge time and money. It has also made dinner quite easy the odd night when I have worked late and felt too lazy to cook.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #390 on: March 26, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »
I posted something for sale on Craigslist.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #391 on: March 26, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
Pruned roses and a few other shrubs. Ow.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #392 on: March 26, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
Took a box of books to our local friends of the library used bookstore. One box down, several to go!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #393 on: March 26, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
Went through our laundry closet and put away some empty boxes for recycling. Also found a nice stash of bags I can use for gifts. And found a bunch of baskets that I can either sell or donate if not sold before move.

Along with these, did meal prep for week and started on laundry. Now onto next closet.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #394 on: March 26, 2017, 05:24:47 PM »
Did approximately one million odd chores yesterday. Now I'm too tired to list them all :-P

Oh, this one was good for a chuckle. DH's mom has Alzheimer's and lives with us. We recently had house guests. On the last day, over breakfast, they asked why all our doors were so squeaky, especially since DH is a handy guy. We explained that it's a cheap way of tracking MIL's movement around the house. (Funny, her door is squeaking right now.) The noise drives us nuts, but anything that makes it easier to track her that costs zero is a good thing.

Something for me to consider when I have naughty little ones to keep track of!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #395 on: March 26, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »
Got the spare bike put away so we don't trip over it daily. 

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #396 on: March 26, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »
Squeegied the window over the kitchen sink at the MIL's house.  Now to get at the external streaks and smudges!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #397 on: March 26, 2017, 10:59:43 PM »
But no harm in letting him think that.  I often explain things with "mommy magic." :)

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #398 on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »
Well haven't done one yet, well I probably have but not posted it - the little is home sick today and going to do at least one while she sleeps!  Right now, since who knows if it will happen again after she wakes up!

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: March 29, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »
Threw a soup in the instant pot!  Did the quick version in case baby woke up, but she didn't, so now depositing a check that's been sitting around.  Since my phone died a week or so ago I have to set up the mobile depositing app again.  No biggie, just takes a minute but has been enough to keep me from getting it done.  Thanks for being here forum friends!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!