Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164815 times)

frugalkristen

• Stubble
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
PJ - Oh no!  I didn't want to discourage anyone!  I really wanted to get some things done before my daughter visits so I've been busy lately.  I can't wait for a little relaxation!  I do love fixing up homes though.  It's my hobby and therapy.  I fixed up 3 during my marriage.  It's tiring but the results are worth it to me.  My house isn't big (which I love!!) so I'm almost done with all the big things.  I still have to paint the closets, clean up the basement a little (it's partly finished and doesn't need anything big), and clean up the landscaping (I've already tackled the front yard so not much left to that either).  But I plan on holding off for a few weeks to catch my breath.  And because I have some scheduled OT in March which means less time to tackle projects.  Believe me, I have days where I don't want to get off the couch!

I also think this great weather (I'm in Buffalo - February is usually awful!) has motivated me!  I've been able to go for walks and open windows!  It's been awesome!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »
PJ - Oh no!  I didn't want to discourage anyone!  I really wanted to get some things done before my daughter visits so I've been busy lately.  I can't wait for a little relaxation!  I do love fixing up homes though.  It's my hobby and therapy.  I fixed up 3 during my marriage.  It's tiring but the results are worth it to me.  My house isn't big (which I love!!) so I'm almost done with all the big things.  I still have to paint the closets, clean up the basement a little (it's partly finished and doesn't need anything big), and clean up the landscaping (I've already tackled the front yard so not much left to that either).  But I plan on holding off for a few weeks to catch my breath.  And because I have some scheduled OT in March which means less time to tackle projects.  Believe me, I have days where I don't want to get off the couch!

I also think this great weather (I'm in Buffalo - February is usually awful!) has motivated me!  I've been able to go for walks and open windows!  It's been awesome!

Don't worry - my post was tongue in cheek.  Actually, though neither would count as an "odd" chore, after I posted I got up to make some lunch, and while it was in toaster oven, I went and put away something I've been tripping over for a couple of days now, plus emptied the dishwasher.  So in fact, you motivated me!

It's just, your post reminded me of this - Clean All the Things!

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2010/06/this-is-why-ill-never-be-adult.html

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »

Don't worry - my post was tongue in cheek.  Actually, though neither would count as an "odd" chore, after I posted I got up to make some lunch, and while it was in toaster oven, I went and put away something I've been tripping over for a couple of days now, plus emptied the dishwasher.  So in fact, you motivated me!

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2010/06/this-is-why-ill-never-be-adult.html

That was the funniest thing ever.  That graph is so me!  Now I have to send it to my daughter (my mini-me).  She's going to love it!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2017, 01:32:15 PM »

That was the funniest thing ever.  That graph is so me!  Now I have to send it to my daughter (my mini-me).  She's going to love it!

The whole comic/book/blog is awesome and funny.  Except for the fact that the author actually suffers from pretty debilitating depression, which is what underlies a lot of the situations she writes/draws about.  But I relate so so much to her, even though I don't have the depression piece.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2017, 02:32:31 PM »
You know, sometimes I wonder if there are any REAL adults, or are we all pretending? 

Now for my odd job of the day: Some child spilled cocoa on the side of our couch five years ago. I finally scrubbed off most of the stain today. 

I'm not really such a lousy housekeeper!  This is the Workbench couch from the 1980s that we've been meaning to replace once all the kids are old enough to stop scribbling on and destroying our stuff.  It is so beaten up that the cocoa stain looked like part of the pattern.

Poundwise, making up is my least favorite part of knitting and crocheting as well.  Somehow my wife finds satisfaction in weaving in ends, so she does that on all my crochet, but I'm too picky about knitting to let her do it.  So stuff just sits instead.

>Sigh<  I just can't bring myself to do it!  Okay, I will brace myself to weave in one end now, and not allowed to post in this thread until I've finished making up the sweater.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2017, 05:46:15 PM »
Today, I accomplished something that's been bugging me for some time. We have a 3-door fridge, freezer on the bottom (French door??). The lowest glass shelf of the refrigerator section was grimy under the glass, necessitating removal of contents and glass, then scrubbing said glass and frame clean. Last time I did this (on a different, and far less expensive refrigerator), the glass shattered into a million little pieces. I was dreading this chore. I'm happy to report it's done and the shelf is safely back in place and sparkly to boot. Took me all of twenty minutes. Thanks for the motivation, you amazing people of the mustache!

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »
Today, I accomplished something that's been bugging me for some time. We have a 3-door fridge, freezer on the bottom (French door??). The lowest glass shelf of the refrigerator section was grimy under the glass, necessitating removal of contents and glass, then scrubbing said glass and frame clean. Last time I did this (on a different, and far less expensive refrigerator), the glass shattered into a million little pieces. I was dreading this chore. I'm happy to report it's done and the shelf is safely back in place and sparkly to boot. Took me all of twenty minutes. Thanks for the motivation, you amazing people of the mustache!

Haha, that reminds me to add to my list replace the broken plastic pieces again on our "Elite" refrigerator. It's about every 2-3 years. Those sticky drawers, shelf pieces that fall out, etc.

Today:

• Sew button on coat

It was more that the cloth that the button is attached to wore out, so I cut a piece out of old jeans as a backing. It's not good as new, but it's > 80% better than a missing button, so count it. Now if I can find that pair of pants that was missing a button...

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »
You know, sometimes I wonder if there are any REAL adults, or are we all pretending? 

That comes very close to a quote that I've always loved, from a Margaret Atwood book.  Maybe not quite 100% accurate, but something to the effect of "Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is a grown-up, and I'm just pretending."

Anyway, I guess you guys really did suck me in, with all your productivity!  A button last night, tonight...

So, before doing any "odd" chores, I really did just need to do some "chore" chores, like clean the litterbox, take out garbage, and vacuum.  The vacuum hose got all clogged up though (vacuuming big clumps of cat hair from under furniture, plus the cardboard shreds from one of their scratching pads in an area not regularly vacuumed).  So I decided, after spending some time getting the vacuum unclogged, that that could count as my "odd" chore.

But then I read this evening's posts.  And I got up and wiped off one more shelf on the door of my fridge.  I realized recently that though it had looked pretty clean when I first moved in, that it was actually left pretty dirty by the previous tenant (underside of shelves, in the little hidden grooves where the shelves attach, etc).  I hate cleaning the fridge - that combination of the cold air, and a wet cloth is just very unappealing.  So since the hidden grime discovery, I've been doing one shelf or surface at a time.  Now I'm one step closer to a clean fridge.  Like Diane C said, thanks MMM peeps!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2017, 02:15:48 AM »

That comes very close to a quote that I've always loved, from a Margaret Atwood book.  Maybe not quite 100% accurate, but something to the effect of "Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is a grown-up, and I'm just pretending."

Anyway, I guess you guys really did suck me in, with all your productivity!  A button last night, tonight...

So, before doing any "odd" chores, I really did just need to do some "chore" chores, like clean the litterbox, take out garbage, and vacuum.  The vacuum hose got all clogged up though (vacuuming big clumps of cat hair from under furniture, plus the cardboard shreds from one of their scratching pads in an area not regularly vacuumed).  So I decided, after spending some time getting the vacuum unclogged, that that could count as my "odd" chore.

But then I read this evening's posts.  And I got up and wiped off one more shelf on the door of my fridge.  I realized recently that though it had looked pretty clean when I first moved in, that it was actually left pretty dirty by the previous tenant (underside of shelves, in the little hidden grooves where the shelves attach, etc).  I hate cleaning the fridge - that combination of the cold air, and a wet cloth is just very unappealing.  So since the hidden grime discovery, I've been doing one shelf or surface at a time.  Now I'm one step closer to a clean fridge.  Like Diane C said, thanks MMM peeps!
You're killing me, PJ! I originally typed out those exact words, then changed them to "people of the mustache." Cue the Twilight Zone theme...

Your Atwood reference reminds me of the time I peeked into the cockpit of an airplane to see a cute pilot speaking to an even cuter saucer-eyed little boy. The pilot caught me in his line of sight and then asked the boy if he wanted to be a pilot when he grew up. The boy nodded solemnly. The pilot gently told the little boy that he could only choose one. Cracks me up to this day.

Years ago, when I lived in SoCal, I belonged to All Saints' Episcopal Church in Beverly Hills. Twice I helped clean vestries in preparation for new ministers. I drew refrigerator duty and scrubbed those things with Q-tips and toothpicks until every nook and cranny was spotless and those suckers sparkled like new. Your experience wouldn't have happened on my watch, lol. Glad to hear you vanquished all the cooties.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2017, 04:23:32 AM »
Though I am not an every day poster here, I follow you all and love your momentum.

Yesterday, I finally patched my kitchen ceiling where my new sputnik chandelier was installed last year and painted about 30% of kitchen ceiling. Will do another 30% today. Had all supplies on hand.  I have been staring at this for months now, annoying me every day. It looks so niiiccceeeee. While I was up there, tested kitchen smoke alarm too. Should do that more often though.....it took 3 seconds to push button. ;0 (

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2017, 08:08:38 AM »
Scanning. [...] To get through it, I looked at the clock and noted to myself that while the process seems like some version of eternity, it will all be over by noon.

Well, the whole shebang actually took 3 hours—deeply stressful hours—to complete. No wonder I make it an odd job. FUCK. Fuck you, service people that demand all this to get some damn disability help. Thank you for being over for today, Odd Job.

Glad the awful odd job is over for the day and welcome to this thread, dear Jooniperberries    It is helping me get stuff done around the house. 

My odd chore this morning was cleaning the inside of the bedroom window.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »
You're killing me, PJ! I originally typed out those exact words, then changed them to "people of the mustache." Cue the Twilight Zone theme...

Your Atwood reference reminds me of the time I peeked into the cockpit of an airplane to see a cute pilot speaking to an even cuter saucer-eyed little boy. The pilot caught me in his line of sight and then asked the boy if he wanted to be a pilot when he grew up. The boy nodded solemnly. The pilot gently told the little boy that he could only choose one. Cracks me up to this day.

Years ago, when I lived in SoCal, I belonged to All Saints' Episcopal Church in Beverly Hills. Twice I helped clean vestries in preparation for new ministers. I drew refrigerator duty and scrubbed those things with Q-tips and toothpicks until every nook and cranny was spotless and those suckers sparkled like new. Your experience wouldn't have happened on my watch, lol. Glad to hear you vanquished all the cooties.

Ha ha!  Great minds think alike, they say!  (And fools seldom differ...)

My landlady is a very clean and tidy sort.  She like things done well.  But only to a point.  The house showed really well, but only once I moved in did I notice these little things.  Like, in the bathroom where they re-painted a patch of the wall - but the paint doesn't actually match.  No way would I have been satisfied with that, I would have re-painted the whole room.  Though, I have to admit, because it wasn't *my* work, I haven't bothered to paint it myself. 

Anyway, the fridge is still a work in progress.  It will eventually get totally clean.  But one more shelf has had the hidden grime removed, which is great!

Though I am not an every day poster here, I follow you all and love your momentum.

Yesterday, I finally patched my kitchen ceiling where my new sputnik chandelier was installed last year and painted about 30% of kitchen ceiling. Will do another 30% today. Had all supplies on hand.  I have been staring at this for months now, annoying me every day. It looks so niiiccceeeee. While I was up there, tested kitchen smoke alarm too. Should do that more often though.....it took 3 seconds to push button. ;0 ( 

I think it's hard to follow this group, and not get sucked into posting eventually, eh?

I'm already trying to think what will be tonight's "odd" chore!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »
We are trying to declutter a bit, with the view to downsizing in the next year or two.  Mr. SP has squirreled a bunch of his collectibles under our son's old mate's bed.  In order to get at these 'treasures' so he can sell them, the mattress and heavy support board have to be removed.  Won't let him do it, because he scuffs the walls, etc. and I don't want to repaint.  So today is the day - I'm off to rip that thing apart, and get it done.   While I'm at it, I will vacuum under there too.

ETA:  Done!   And it wasn't as dusty as I feared, so I didn't sneeze for half an hour.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:28:28 PM by Shinplaster »

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2017, 12:37:39 PM »
Today I will go through my pantry and select as many cans as I can part with to give to my library so I can get a .50 cent reduction on my fines for each can. I'm currently at $28 owed, and blocked! (Thanks, kid, for losing a library book.) Then I have to take said cans there because today is the last day they are doing the can drive/reduce your fees thing. At least for awhile. And I want to get unblocked!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
Today I will go through my pantry and select as many cans as I can part with to give to my library so I can get a .50 cent reduction on my fines for each can. I'm currently at $28 owed, and blocked! (Thanks, kid, for losing a library book.) Then I have to take said cans there because today is the last day they are doing the can drive/reduce your fees thing. At least for awhile. And I want to get unblocked!

Can you not replace the book, for less than that?  Or would you still have to pay the fees?

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »
Cleaned a window in the bedroom.

High five!

I washed the remaining two windows in the bedroom.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
The lost book is why the fees are as high as they are, because it's late fees for other stuff accumulated over time plus the cost of the book replacement. I do have to pay it all eventually as I owe it all. But turning in cans reduces the overall cost. They let you accumulate late fees but still have check-out privileges up to $25. I usually let my fines rack up until they have a sale. Some branches just do "half off fines month" and the one closest to my house does this cans thing. I'm happy to get rid of cans of stuff I know we won't eat, so it's a double good in my mind.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »
Cleaned a window in the bedroom.

High five!

I washed the remaining two windows in the bedroom.

I am kind of working my way around the house.  Gets it done painlessly.  :) 

Road42

• Stubble
Re: One &quot;Odd&quot; chore a day
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2017, 04:20:19 PM »
I did another odd chore: I sharpened all the scissors in the house using the "cut 150 grit sandpaper a bunch" method. It works so well, even on those flimsy kids safety scissors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
  • Sew pocket on sweatpants

Getting a lot done during meetings this week :-) Also made a phone call to fix a problem with my grocery rewards card, and connected it to UPromise. Made another phone call to finish up a final detail from my credit report task the other day.

Looked at the pantry lights, and I think there are already junction boxes in the wall, so that should make the install much easier.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #220 on: February 28, 2017, 06:11:29 PM »
Got my 30% or so done on kitchen ceiling paint.

Odd chore tomorrow is finish the white ceiling paint. Thursday/Friday  will be final touchups and cleanup. I need to think about next activity. Maybe basement?

Agree, PJ, difficult to not get sucked into thread if I am following.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #221 on: February 28, 2017, 06:18:51 PM »
Something black and funky was starting to grow around the kitchen sink faucet, and all our recent rain and humidity was just making it spread like crazy.  I love living with roommates (split rent!  company in the comfort of my home! sometimes I can borrow just a cup of milk!), but it also tends to breed a certain "someone else will take care of it" mentality when it comes to odd household cleanup and chores.  Well yesterday, that "someone" was me.  I scrubbed the hell out of the sink, the faucet, and all surrounding marble tile, and hopefully won't have to look at black gunk anymore for another few months at least.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: February 28, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
My cans knocked my library bill down by nine dollars, and I'm no longer blocked.  :D

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2017, 07:09:08 PM »
My cans knocked my library bill down by nine dollars, and I'm no longer blocked.  :D

Yay!

Road42

• Stubble
Re: One &quot;Odd&quot; chore a day
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2017, 12:03:19 PM »
Washed the patio doors and vacuumed the screens. It's so nice to feel like the house is getting cleaner just as spring is around the corner (although the weather has been making it feel like summer the past few days...)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #225 on: March 01, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »
Does going to the dentist count as an odd chore? Because I have a dentist appointment this afternoon, and then will pick up the kids and then will make dinner. Doesn't leave much time for choring.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: March 01, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »
Went and got passport photos done.  Does that count?  I say it's a chore, because I hate getting these photos done - the lighting is not great, you can't smile, and I usually look like a deer in headlights.  I think the latest photo will win me 'crone of the year' award. 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2017, 02:21:37 PM »
This is great method that works well for me, been doing it for years!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2017, 02:38:40 PM »
Wove in all the ends of the sweater but haven't attached sleeves or blocked yet.

But while I was avoiding that, I did shampoo the carpet, wash the kitchen window (inspired by this thread!), transplant seedlings, and take a photo of some things to sell on Craigslist.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »
OK, last one of these, as I don't have anything else to sew:

• Sew button on pants

I did declutter the dry cleaning basket where the pants were hanging out with a bunch of other stuff that didn't belong there (plastic bags with 2014 receipts, for example). This challenge is getting me into project mode, so hopefully it will carry over to the larger projects that I need to get done.

Oh, I also sent out a neighborhood email to commit to a date for hazardous waste drop-off, and got a few replies. That odd chore has just been building up for years. Lots of paint/stain, dead fluorescent bulbs, lithium batteries, and thermometers. It will be nice to get rid of that junk and reclaim that area.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #230 on: March 02, 2017, 04:42:23 AM »
I'm going to work on fixing the leaky spigot on the front of my house and the leaky shutoff valve in the house for that spigot. I've been putting that task off for years. The previous owners ran a bunch of electrical conduit around the valve in the house which makes it hard to access. The spigot probably just needs a new washer. The valve in the house will probably needs to be replaced.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: March 02, 2017, 08:34:25 AM »
This morning I cleaned one of the sliding door glass panels.  One more to go then I've cleaned all of the insides of our windows.  When the weather gets warmer, I'll do the outsides of the ones I can reach. 

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #232 on: March 02, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »
A few today:

I got up early this morning and finished my taxes, found myself an online coupon for 20% off and filed them! Then I organized all my tax papers in my file.

I ordered some laundry soap online because they were having a $20 off sale. That chore is done for a few years now.

Finished planting the rest of my recently purchased indoor plants.

Even though it is quite cold today, I took the winter plastic off two of my windows because we are having the odd warm day and I am a firm believer that adding a little cold fresh air in the early spring to your house, helps avoid spring colds/coughs.

Took a load of items to my garage to be stored - Seasonal items I leave in my mudroom for easy winter access.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: March 02, 2017, 02:52:13 PM »
Yesterday:
Called new insurance company to confirm benefits and network providers.
Called new doctor and made an appointment.
Today:
Mailed back bras that didn't fit. It was a free return, I just needed to do it, lol.
Got my passport photo taken.
Went to the bank.

All sorts of odd chores that rank REALLY high on my "don't want to" scale.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #234 on: March 02, 2017, 04:01:09 PM »
I finally mailed my membership fees to the natural history museum this morning. I also disconnected some old romex wire that was dangling from the wall in my basement. I wish I had taken care of that before I went to the scrap yard last weekend. I could have gotten a couple of extra bucks out of that wire. I was able to remove the conduit that housed the romex, so that should help with my water shutoff valve project.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: March 02, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
OMG, magic erasers are magic!  Someone gave me some cheap, thin ones when they moved, and I used them on the bathroom tile.  Then I bought a bunch of thicker generic ones from Amazon.  These things are amazing!  They cleaned our composite sink better than Bon Ami, got the dirt off the garage door that wouldn't come off with 409, and clean soap scum off tile like nobody's business.  And then they rinse clean, right back to white.  The only thing that's stuck to one was when I cleaned the glass on the toaster oven, and years of baked on greasy stuff got one side kind of crusty.

Good and bad, though.  Our kitchen floor is very light colored vinyl, with a textured crosshatch and some little leaves embossed.  Of course it catches dirt/grease.  Mopping is rather ineffective.  We even treated ourselves to a cleaning service for our anniversary and...meh.  But the magic eraser!  First I just did the sink, stove, dishwasher area, but now have branched out to the rest of the kitchen, which ain't small.  The bad part is there's no concealing start/stop points, and it's a lot of work.  And sweat.  I've taken to "mopping" with it under my shoe, which is effective, because I can put a lot of pressure, but I can't get it evenly clean.

More tomorrow!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #236 on: March 02, 2017, 05:10:42 PM »
OMG, magic erasers are magic!  Someone gave me some cheap, thin ones when they moved, and I used them on the bathroom tile.  Then I bought a bunch of thicker generic ones from Amazon.  These things are amazing!  They cleaned our composite sink better than Bon Ami, got the dirt off the garage door that wouldn't come off with 409, and clean soap scum off tile like nobody's business.  And then they rinse clean, right back to white.  The only thing that's stuck to one was when I cleaned the glass on the toaster oven, and years of baked on greasy stuff got one side kind of crusty.

Good and bad, though.  Our kitchen floor is very light colored vinyl, with a textured crosshatch and some little leaves embossed.  Of course it catches dirt/grease.  Mopping is rather ineffective.  We even treated ourselves to a cleaning service for our anniversary and...meh.  But the magic eraser!  First I just did the sink, stove, dishwasher area, but now have branched out to the rest of the kitchen, which ain't small.  The bad part is there's no concealing start/stop points, and it's a lot of work.  And sweat.  I've taken to "mopping" with it under my shoe, which is effective, because I can put a lot of pressure, but I can't get it evenly clean.

More tomorrow!

Just be careful with those on bathtubs, sinks, paint, etc. Since it's essentially working as sand paper. http://www.tipbusters.com/2011/mr-clean-magic-eraser-%E2%80%93-is-it-good-magic/ You can end up with MORE scum coming back than when you started since you've "etched" the finish off the surface of things like porcelain sinks. Ask me how I know... lol.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #237 on: March 02, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »
Yeah, I read what they were before ordering, and I'm not going to use them on painted walls.  They do work great on hard surfaces (ones we normally use Bon Ami or Comet).  It didn't scratch the tempered glass on the toaster oven (but I wouldn't use it on our windows).

The vinyl flooring, I know it's probably asking for trouble, but it was so bad, so impossible to clean, and looks so much better, I don't care. 

I'm very surprised it took the finish off your porcelain sink, though.  That's something my Mom made us use Comet on weekly for years with no problem.  Our shower tile seems just fine (although it didn't take much scrubbing to get the soap scum off, either).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #238 on: March 02, 2017, 05:24:26 PM »
Yeah, I read what they were before ordering, and I'm not going to use them on painted walls.  They do work great on hard surfaces (ones we normally use Bon Ami or Comet).  It didn't scratch the tempered glass on the toaster oven (but I wouldn't use it on our windows).

The vinyl flooring, I know it's probably asking for trouble, but it was so bad, so impossible to clean, and looks so much better, I don't care. 

I'm very surprised it took the finish off your porcelain sink, though.  That's something my Mom made us use Comet on weekly for years with no problem.  Our shower tile seems just fine (although it didn't take much scrubbing to get the soap scum off, either).

Well, it was bad when we moved in, I think they've been using abrasive cleaners and it's a 22 year old house, sink original obviously. So whatever coating was on it was worn off on the bottom anyway (hence using the erasers) but I could see where it took the 'sheen' off the sides close to the bottom, so it clearly took some of the coating off. Maybe only an issue if it's an already disrupted surface?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #239 on: March 02, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
I'm the Hospitality Chair (not a Table, a Chair) for a Woman's Arts Group I belong to. We meet once a month during the school year. Today's program featured a singer who is Autistic and has perfect pitch. Amaze-balls. She sings and her mom plays the piano. Inspiring story and the best rendition of "Oh, Danny Boy" I've ever heard, and I'm Irish.

My job is to set the theme and secure the decor, lasso the membership to remind them when it's their turn to bring goodies, get everything to our meeting place early enough to be ready to go by 9:15, including 3 urns of hot beverages and assorted sweets & savories if there aren't enough volunteers, plus all the necessary supplies. It's a big job. Then I (and my committee) pack everything up and load it back into my car.

Since it's just around the corner, I picked up the week's mail at the post office, then I did my volunteer stint at the library, and went to the bank to make the Friends' EOM deposit. Then I drove across town to a one-day-only estate sale and bought two DVD series, plus 2 yards of quilted black velvet, which will make a great backdrop if I ever get my shit together and figure out how eBay works, for $5.00 total.

While in the area, I looked at the models of houses in a new development I advocated for to the City Council last year. The prices are $1.2 -$1.4M and it was proposed as "affordable housing" by Pulte, ugh. What a disappointment! Swung by a fixer that just came on the market, found an open gate and strolled the property. I see potential, but DH does not like the setting, so probably not our next project.

Stopped by a friend's house to pick up her car key. She'll leave her car at the transit station at 0-dark-hundred tomorrow and I will walk over at a more civilized hour, pick it up and park it at my house until she returns. Tonight will be pizza from scratch and unpacking/washing/reloading my supplies from this morning. All of this with my MIL and her pal Al Z. Heimer, in tow. Did I mention it took three tries to get her into something presentable before we left this morning? Oy!

Tomorrow DH is off. Yay! I'm doing Read Across America at a local elementary school in the morning, then moving car referenced above, then we're picking up some furniture for a friend who needs it to go from Point A to Point B, a distance of 25 miles, involving multiple freeways and a big-ass toll bridge. Because, um, we own a truck and my friend is having cancer surgery on Monday? My birthday is in a few days, so DH has hinted at plans after that. Low-key suits me just fine. In fact, the lower, the better.

Hmmm, and here I'm feeling like a lazy ass because I have completed NO chores this week. Sorry I have nothing to report. I know this makes me a lurker/shirker of the worst sort. I promise, I'll try to get something done before my next report is due, instead of a bunch of whining and lame excuses, lol!

Tl;dr: Diane C has no new completed chores to report.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: March 02, 2017, 07:28:23 PM »
Diane C, I don't think someone who describes a day like that could possibly be called "lazy."  Just sayin'!

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: March 02, 2017, 08:02:30 PM »
Today:

• Install pantry lights

Very pleased with this, as is my wife. I won't go into the entire saga, but we have been waiting and/or delaying a long time for this.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #242 on: March 02, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »
Painted all the dining room trim after caulking all the cracks in it and scraped all the old caulk off our master bathroom shower. It's cold outside again, so I couldn't wash more windows. But I'm am very excited to spray anti-mold stuff and recaulk the shower tomorrow! We have the world's tiniest bathroom, so every tiny discoloration or crack really stands out. To me at least. Oh, to be someone who doesn't notice or care about the details!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #243 on: March 03, 2017, 12:53:36 AM »
I turned some paperwork to the DMV. I didn't want to go, but I did it and it's done.  Yea! Tomorrow I should clean a car seat. We'll see.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #244 on: March 03, 2017, 11:08:52 AM »
Ordered a copy of my birth certificate.  I'd been procrastinating on this because I thought it would be complicated.  One 5 minute phone call later, certificate will be in the mail and arrive in 2 business days.

Edit: emailed HR to cancel insurance we got when we had a mortgage AND THEN FORGOT TO CANCEL after we no longer needed it.  Aargh - the "not paying attention tax"!   But now cancelled.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:21:17 AM by Moustachienne »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #245 on: March 03, 2017, 01:21:38 PM »
I got a lot done since joining this thread, it has been very motivating. I think I have averaged one a day since joining but have not really been keeping track. Today I put up 2 new smoke detectors and a picture that had been sitting around since Thanksgiving. Also dusted in the corners. Last weekend I caught up on all the regular chores, plus moved the living room furniture and vacuumed and washed the floor underneath.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #246 on: March 03, 2017, 01:42:43 PM »
Like some others, I'm also planning on shampooing our carpet today-- it'll be the first time I've ever used the... I don't know what to call it?  The not-vaccuum that washes your carpet?  Anyway, we're borrowing one from a friend, and I'm looking forward to finally having clean carpets for the first time in a long while.

Also going to sew the back pockets onto a pair of pants, and this weekend, strip off the covers on the sofa and launder those too.  My messiest roommate is out for the weekend and the rest of us are taking the opportunity to wash everything in sight.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #247 on: March 03, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
I'm super excited to report I completed my first car repair ever.  I attempted to fix the headliner.  Its better, not perfect and I'm afraid the deteriorating foam stuff underneath made some stains on it.  But I think I'll notice those less than the sagging ceiling in the rear view mirror. 

Gosh, I really hope it doesn't fall down and become worse than it was. 

I don't think this will become a side hustle biz for me. 

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: March 03, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »
I'm super excited to report I completed my first car repair ever.  I attempted to fix the headliner.  Its better, not perfect and I'm afraid the deteriorating foam stuff underneath made some stains on it.  But I think I'll notice those less than the sagging ceiling in the rear view mirror. 

Gosh, I really hope it doesn't fall down and become worse than it was. 

I don't think this will become a side hustle biz for me.

LOL! 

You definitely get an A for effort, though!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2017, 02:25:16 PM »
My Mom is forever giving me books she gets for free from her apartment building laundry room.  I went through a bunch today, and set some aside that I will never read (authors I don't care for).  They will go back to her laundry room next time I'm over, so someone else can enjoy them.