Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164843 times)

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2017, 03:03:12 PM »
I'm game; anything to give me motivation. However I know it won't be on a daily basis. 

My son helped me know what the first task should be...  he took the tray out of the junk drawer and there was no getting it back in.  It sat on my table for about a week and while I was taking with my Dad yesterday at said table (he's visiting for a couple of days), I decided to take on the task of decluttering the junk drawer.   He didn't mind, in fact he got a kick out of all the "treasures" I threw out.  (and where did we get so many pens!)

Time to go make a list!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2017, 03:30:14 PM »
Went around the house and removed all the scuff marks from the walls and doors.  There were a LOT of scuff marks!  : D

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2017, 12:24:31 AM »
Okay, no MIL stories today. I cleaned out the pantry drawers in the kitchen and got rid of a couple of festering science projects. These two deep drawers hold bread, cereal, taco shells, chips, crackers, etc. There was some old stuff in there... Why yes, we do like our carbs.

I also organized the cupboards underneath each of our bathroom sinks. Had to make room for the new Costco pack of TP I bought today. If I get really motivated, perhaps I'll clean out the bathroom drawers and then one whole area will be done.

Thanks for the motivation!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »
Caulked the kitchen backsplash and "textured" the ceiling patch in my living room (mid century ranch with a swirl texture on the ceiling - removed part of a wall and had to patch and mimic the texture).
Can you post pictures and more details?  I think I have to patch the same type of ceiling from so old water damage.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2017, 09:23:19 AM »
This morning I cleaned the bathroom window & shelf.  As I am doing my "odd" chore in the morning, I like to think of other people on this thread doing their 'odd' chore too.

Keep them coming!

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2017, 11:07:23 AM »
No odd chores over the long weekend, unless you count taking the kids out for a bunch of interesting cultural events chores :)

But, this morning I repainted the radiators in our dining room. They get warm, so they had to be painted with oil-based paint, which is sort of smelly. But they will look very nice when I repaint all the trim!

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2017, 11:46:23 AM »
This thread is so great! I was lurking, but now I'll post:

Saturday - Did my taxes! Woohoo! Also cleaned the wall behind the stove.
Sunday - No chores done, but got ahead on homework
Today - I will clean the top of the stove and the range hood. :)

Well, I succeeded in cleaning the top of the stove and the range hood. I went one step further and cleaned the burners too!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »
Today, I vacuumed the stairs to our basement. They get dirty fast, but I never think to vacuum them more frequently. Plus getting the vacuum up and down the stairs is kind of cumbersome. But hey, it's done for a few weeks now :D

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »
Even though the forum was down this morning, I did my one "odd" chore:  spot-cleaning two little stains on the carpet in the dining room.  :)

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »
Finally put together the shelf I was planning on putting together a week ago (and bought 3 years ago!). I pulled everything out of the bottom of the closet where I wanted to put it and vacuumed. Unfortunately, the shelf wouldn't fit, so I had to vacuum out the bottom of *another* closet to put it in. This also resulted in organizing the stuff at the bottom of the first closet. So I think that counts for at least 3 days worth of odd chores! Oh, and I also threw away an old shower caddy that we were hanging onto in case we didn't like the new one.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2017, 03:58:39 PM »
I finally hemmed a pair of pants that's been on the work table for a few months now. And then I went to triumphantly post about it... only to find the forum down. Glad you are all back!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »
I sorted through some recyclable metal in my basement. I got all the pure copper sorted out from the stuff with brass fittings and bagged it up so I can take it to the recycling center without making my car a mess.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2017, 05:44:22 PM »
Yet another great thread!

Over the weekend, and through today:

• Fix our faucet
  • Fix DS’s drawer (drilled a few missing holes instead of returning the whole thing to Ikea)

Made a list of odd chores in Evernote, read the annual maintenance link from earlier in the thread, resurrected my Toodledoo recurring/annual chores lists, looked for fridge filters, ordered new ones, found the paint for an upcoming outdoor painting job.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »
I've had a busy few days, so I barely got the regular stuff done, let alone anything extra.  Tomorrow I'll file papers.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2017, 11:05:03 PM »
I've had a busy few days, so I barely got the regular stuff done, let alone anything extra.

Me, too. However, the house is clean and the laundry's done, which is good. I'll try to do a couple of catch-up chores over the next few days. Just to clarify, for the purpose of this thread, "chore" is something not on the everyday housekeeping list, if that makes sense. So doing laundry, cooking meals, etc. does not count. This is just for me. Not making rules for anyone else.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2017, 06:43:29 AM »
I have been quite busy the last couple of days and today I am not feeling well so I am working from home. However, I took a scroll through the mental chore list and picked a couple of chores I could do while taking work breaks and that won't set off the unhappy tummy.

I'm going to dust the walls in my stairwell (very high ceilings) with my favourite fuzzy stick. I am going to shop-vac my concrete/unfinished horror movie basement to vacuum up any accumulated dust. Lastly, cleanup my mud room a bit and move some items into my garage. Those 3 chores should make up for my busy work week slacking!

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2017, 04:25:22 AM »
Yesterday I cleaned the spice shelf and put the leaky salt shaker into a little ceramic bowl so it stops spreading salt around (it's a grinder with the sluice at the bottom).

I also fixed the tuft button that had come loose on the couch cushion. I don't have a giant tufting needle so I macgyvered one out of sturdy wire. Worked perfectly.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
Came home from vacation to find that the refrigerator had not cooled at all since we left (confirming my theory that the only reason it works these days is because I give the cold control a good whack every few hours.) Fortunately it was mostly empty due to my hard work before leaving on vacation.  So after a half day of skiing, a four hour drive, unpacking the car, and putting cranky kids to bed, I wiped the fridge out again, disassembled it until I found the thermostat, photographed the thermostat to get the serial #, and reassembled it. Then I ordered a new used part for $35. This is something I've been meaning to do since January or before.

Strangely enough, since reassembly, the fridge has been working! Maybe it just wanted me to spend a little money on it, to show that I care.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »
I listed one item on eBay.  I think I've listed about 5 things in my lifetime, so figuring it out was a big step.  The hope is to list more, but it's definitely an odd-chore right now. 

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2017, 06:46:03 PM »
I listed one item on eBay.  I think I've listed about 5 things in my lifetime, so figuring it out was a big step.  The hope is to list more, but it's definitely an odd-chore right now.

I need to do this, too. I took the pictures of the item a few days ago as my odd chore, but have yet to post them. (And if it makes you feel better, I think I've only ever sold 1 or 2 things on ebay...)

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2017, 12:38:54 PM »
Today was a productive odd chore day. I got rid of the scrap metal in my basement, fixed my bowling shoes (the non-slide sole started peeling off), and finally donated an old mountain bike that was sitting in our basement.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2017, 01:53:13 PM »
I have some weird confessions for a lot of threads right now- I will explain. I went thrifting today so I need to post that in the thrift finds thread. I spent some money - uber frugal March thread and last but not least, what's relevant to this thread.

My odd chore today was that I made my house feel more like spring to chase away the February blahs. I planted some newly thrifted pots with some on sale plants - which means in the last two weeks I have added four new plants to my collection. I lit some lilac scented candles and spread them around the house and then I rearranged some of my decor to add some more colour in my main rooms.  I swapped out some pictures on my giant art wall to some more cheerful art.  Washed my "winter" throw pillow covers and traded in for the brighter spring/summer ones. I recognize I live in Canada and this is kinda early for spring, but I was just feeling blah today.  It is gloomy, overcast, rainy, cold and just kinda ugh out.

However, now my house feels a lot happier, smells great and the cheerful colours are fighting back against the outside gloom. I consider this an odd chore win.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »
Today I cleaned out and inventoried the fridge freezer and the deep freeze.  Made myself a little database to list everything, which was surprisingly easy.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2017, 06:00:06 PM »
Finally mended those &*^*(# athletic pants. The boys tear the knees, and because of the mesh liner, they aren't straightforward to sew. I had to find a thrift store pair of polyester pants, cut it up for patches, insert the patches in between the mesh and the back of the outside fabric, and use a repair stitch to stabilize the torn fabric. 

While I was on a roll, sewed up a sweater underarm and replaced the thread on a potholder.  This stuff took less than five minutes, so I don't know why I was procrastinating!

Finally at the "making up" part of a cardigan that I started knitting 6 years ago! Who knows, maybe I will actually finish it tonight! Just need to sew on the sleeves, hide ends, sew buttons, and block. Unfortunately, these are my least favorite tasks in knitting.

BiscuitsForBreakfast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2017, 06:23:07 PM »
Poundwise, you and all the other posters tackling odd jobs that require skills are inspiring! I love the idea behind this thread, and it got me to file paperwork (yesterday), and do some odd errands (drop off donations, sell some books, drop off knives to get sharpened) today, which is great but none of which requires actual skills...

I can sew on a button and replace a flapper, but clearly I have much to learn.

In other news, I learned a new term today, which I shall apply to you all: accountabilibuddies. Knowing I have "pledged" to tackle odd jobs along with similarly minded folks MAY actually help me accomplish them... Thanks, y'all!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2017, 06:40:10 PM »
Poundwise, making up is my least favorite part of knitting and crocheting as well.  Somehow my wife finds satisfaction in weaving in ends, so she does that on all my crochet, but I'm too picky about knitting to let her do it.  So stuff just sits instead.

BiscuitsForBreakfast - I love learning new skills!  I think having an attitude of "I don't know how to do this...yet" is key.  You can learn tons from YouTube, and if you're lucky enough to find local community groups that is awesome too.  I learned a ton about bikes from two local bike collectives, but a lot of the things I know how to do are self taught.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2017, 06:52:03 PM »
Painted the ceiling and walls of my living/dining room.  Kind of exhausted but glad I got it all in today.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2017, 06:23:17 AM »
Painted the ceiling and walls of my living/dining room.  Kind of exhausted but glad I got it all in today.

Wow! That's impressive in one day!

BuilcuitsForBreakfast, I love "accountabilibuddies". I'm going to use that.

Yesterday I vacuumed the inside of the smoke detector that is close enough to a bathroom to be very infrequently set off by steam. The internet suggested dust might be the problem.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2017, 08:12:19 AM »
I emptied out the cupboard under the kitchen sink, and did a total wipe down/reorganize.  Since this is where the garbage can is, this really should be a 'do it a lot chore' rather than an 'odd' chore, but I confess I hate doing it, so 'odd' it is.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2017, 08:56:40 AM »
Doorstops installed.  With help of 4 year old. 

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
I patched the knees of my 8 year old's pants. Although I do it often enough it should count as a regular chore maybe. I don't think he is actually jut rubbing them with sandpaper, but...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »

My odd chore today was that I made my house feel more like spring to chase away the February blahs. I planted some newly thrifted pots with some on sale plants - which means in the last two weeks I have added four new plants to my collection. I lit some lilac scented candles and spread them around the house and then I rearranged some of my decor to add some more colour in my main rooms.  I swapped out some pictures on my giant art wall to some more cheerful art.  Washed my "winter" throw pillow covers and traded in for the brighter spring/summer ones. I recognize I live in Canada and this is kinda early for spring, but I was just feeling blah today.  It is gloomy, overcast, rainy, cold and just kinda ugh out.

However, now my house feels a lot happier, smells great and the cheerful colours are fighting back against the outside gloom. I consider this an odd chore win.

hard times call for hard measures - great job encouraging spring.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »
Retiredat63: I confess I don't even want spring to arrive that quickly, my job goes nuts in the spring and its 3 months of crazy overtime. Typical Canadian complaining about the weather, no matter what the weather is. :)

Today I went a little nuts for my odd job and ripped apart my linen closet, my bathroom vanity (which has a million drawers) my cleaning supplies throughout the house and the dresser where I keep my outdoor gear. I organized hair bits and bobs into a ziplock, collected a bunch of items to donate, went through all my toiletries, organized and then threw a few out, refolded my linens, selected some to donate to the animal shelter, decluttered my outdoor gear, again some to donate, sunglasses went into a ziplock, hand warmers another, just in general, massively decluttered and organized stuff logically and decided to throw out or donate anything I truly didn't use.

Then as a bonus I sat down and made a detailed list of all the steps I needed to do to completely redo one of my rooms to turn it into a fully functional and decorated office space. I tried to do each step as an odd chore I could accomplish in a day. Some steps will require a day to accomplish but I will save those for a weekend.

Now it's some errands and then some bulk cooking for the week. This has been a busy day!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »
Cut and Scotchguard treated fabric to recover the seats of our kitchen chairs and island stools.  I think I have enough fabric leftover to make some sort of valances for the windows, too.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2017, 12:58:14 PM »
Okay, i took a few days off from the "odd chore" thread because I was at the Seattle MMM meet-up where I had a great time!! 

Today's odd chore will be cleaning up a planter that sits by the front door.  the usual story here.  I keep walking by it thinking "I need to deal with this" and then I just keep walking.  So I am going now to deal with it.

Thanks for the motivation fellow thread followers.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2017, 01:18:05 PM »
BIL took his mom out for lunch yesterday. First contact with her since Christmas. Le sigh. He ended up keeping her for four whole hours! We used the time to nuke her room, reorganize her closet and dresser and find all some of the weird shit that she hides everywhere.

Wasn't exactly on my list, because the lunch plan was sort of will-he-or-won't-he, but I'm counting it for the win. I also cleaned out some of the office, but not enough of a dent yet to count as a win.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: February 26, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »
You guys are so motivational!!!

While I was cooking a ton of food I decided to wash my kitchen cupboard faces and then I cleaned all the glass fronts of my pictures in the kitchen and washed some vintage plates I display on my wall. From there (still waiting for 5lbs of beets to cook) I went on a cobweb hunt downstairs and cleaned the glass in my front door and bay window again. I said last week I was going to make that a weekly chore now, so I think I have to take it off the odd list now that I have done it twice. My odd list for the weekend is quite long, you guys challenge me to keep going.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2017, 08:32:04 PM »
Oh, you people and your productivity!

You finally guilted me into it.  Every time I read an update on this thread, my mind flashes to the dress hanging on a hook on my closet door.  Tonight, I finally sewed the missing button back on it.  I think I wore it last in July.  Maybe August. :-/

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2017, 09:46:27 PM »
  • Unfreeze credit reports
  • Change fridge water filter
  • Replace compost container filters
  • Raise height of overhead light in guest room
  • Fix DD’s faucet

This last one was huge for me. I had done the easy ones of replacing filters, and went up to tackle the non-functional hot water tap in the kids' bathroom. It's a 70-year-old fixture, so maybe not so easy to repair. I credit this thread and the Frugalwoods blog for the motivation to fix it today. We were thinking just replace the damn faucet, as the one in our bathroom was leaking until last week as well. But I searched for the model, and found a source for the cartridge. Then DW mentioned that an unused sink in the basement might have the same parts, which it did! After watching a Youtube video, I was able to swap out the cartridge, so now DD has hot water. The part will be $13.00 plus shipping, so a savings of $110 or more in plumbing labor, plus probably $50-100 in marked up parts.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2017, 10:53:21 PM »
  • Unfreeze credit reports
  • Change fridge water filter
  • Replace compost container filters
  • Raise height of overhead light in guest room
  • Fix DD’s faucet

This last one was huge for me. I had done the easy ones of replacing filters, and went up to tackle the non-functional hot water tap in the kids' bathroom. It's a 70-year-old fixture, so maybe not so easy to repair. I credit this thread and the Frugalwoods blog for the motivation to fix it today. We were thinking just replace the damn faucet, as the one in our bathroom was leaking until last week as well. But I searched for the model, and found a source for the cartridge. Then DW mentioned that an unused sink in the basement might have the same parts, which it did! After watching a Youtube video, I was able to swap out the cartridge, so now DD has hot water. The part will be $13.00 plus shipping, so a savings of $110 or more in plumbing labor, plus probably $50-100 in marked up parts.

And savings on your water bill from fixing it too!

JG in Hangzhou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2017, 11:17:02 PM »
Someone said taxes!  So I guess I need to stop reading this post and do mine!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2017, 11:20:40 PM »
I'm in... I've been following along and feeling guilty about all the things I'm not getting done, so it's time to just do it.

Making a BIG batch of anti-cat spray to keep the neighbours cats from pissing and copulating (Oh goodness, the sound! The stench!)  In our carport, on our deck, in the flower beds on the side of our house, on our front door step...

Do you have a recipe / instructions for the anti-cat spray? I need to try it out!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2017, 11:59:38 PM »
Got two done today!  Read about balancing our forced air heating system and started following the directions.  Should have done this three months ago but better late than never.

I also did some extra cooking to make some freezer meals for DD.  We only manage family meals 3-4x a week, so I want some healthy options for her on the other nights.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2017, 04:42:34 AM »
This is a great challenge.  I think I will make a list and join in.   There are things I just avoid and it would be great to get them done.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2017, 04:48:46 AM »
Cleaned out expired crap from my pantry and wiped down the shelves!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2017, 10:27:09 AM »
Covered one (of six) chair seats with the fabric I cut and treated yesterday (and hope to get another one or two done today).  Note to self:  next time, buy a random pattern, not something with stripes.  Very hard to get it to look even!

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2017, 12:10:27 PM »
Washed a window in my bedroom. Was all set to wash all three windows, but it was surprisingly exhausting so I decided to make it a one-window-per-day thing.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »
Cleaned a window in the bedroom.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2017, 12:27:36 PM »
Had the day off (I work 4-10s - although I did work yesterday for some OT!) so I like to make it as productive as possible -

Washed the outside of the appliances, washed the kitchen floor (hands and knees washed...), scraped the paint off the windows (painted the kitchen 2 weeks ago) and washed them, rehung the valance, applied another coat of drywall mud to the dining room wall that I patched, cleaned up all the supplies that have lived by such patch for a while, washed the hardwood floor in the dining room, moved all the furniture back to their correct spots in the living and dining rooms (I painted those rooms Saturday - except the one wall I patched - that'll get painted next Saturday), made the bed in the guest room (my daughter's coming for a visit next week!), changed my sheets, dusted and vacuumed the house (I have a small 1100 sf ranch so that doesn't take too long), swept the basement stairs (can't remember the last time I did that.  Ugh.) and have a meeting set up with my accountant to start my taxes later today.

Since it's pretty decent out, I want to clean up some of my landscaping too.  Old leaves are still hanging around some of my bushes and it drives me crazy.  :)

For this month - I've painted my kitchen walls, cabinets and trim, painted my living/dining room ceiling, trim and walls, patched an opening in my dining room where there used to be a large group of glass block windows (weird), and set up my guest room with a borrowed bed from my boyfriend's mom (she sold her house and let me borrow it until her new house is built - perfect for my daughter's visit!), ordered and picked up a remnant rug for the guest room (bound 7'x10' rug for $141 including tax!), rehung a kitchen cabinet over my fridge (I had removed it because the fridge was too tall but my bf cut out part of the flooring under the fridge - you can't see it - so the fridge sits a little lower.  Problem solved!), helped my son do his taxes, and probably a couple other small things.  I also picked up a lot of OT!  Tomorrow I picked up another OT shift so I'm working 7am-10pm - so no more odd chores for me this month.  :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »
frugalkristen, I got too tired from reading everything you've done, that I'm not going to be able to manage my own "odd" chore today.  Thanks a lot! ;-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!