Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164844 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
Oooh, neat thread! And one I need!

Tonight, I will go through the neglected bill/papers I don't want to lose but didn't deal with right away basket and well, deal with them.

And will you finish your curtains? ;)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »
Tonight I'm going to find my daughter's most recent lead test and make a copy for daycare.  My state's daycare requirements are ridiculous.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »
Today was a day of many regular chores and an upset stomach, so sad to say I have not done an odd chore yet. Tomorrow I will do 3 chores, an extra one to redeem myself!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2017, 09:13:43 PM »
Oooh, neat thread! And one I need!

Tonight, I will go through the neglected bill/papers I don't want to lose but didn't deal with right away basket and well, deal with them.

And will you finish your curtains? ;)

Ummmmmm.....

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »
Tonight I'm going to find my daughter's most recent lead test and make a copy for daycare.  My state's daycare requirements are ridiculous.

Thanks, this reminded me I need to submit a recent copy of my daughter's health form too! 

Today I am going to repot some plants... knocked over my aloe a few weeks ago and broke the pot, so it's been sitting in a plastic deli container since then.  I've been putting it off because I have to go out and search in the cold, icy garage for extra pots.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2017, 01:12:02 PM »
A while ago I accidentally bought the "daylight" kind of LED bulbs (they cast a super white, cold light, which I happen to find unpleasant). Well, since they are LEDs and will never burn out, I am stuck with them. But, today, I finally moved all the bulbs around in the various fixtures in our house so all the daylight LEDs are now in the basement, where the quality of their light doesn't bother me at all, and all the warm LEDs are in the living room and kitchen, casting a golden glow over everything.

I also went through our stash of paint to see whether we had enough semi-gloss for me to embark on my re-painting the trim project. No dice. Any suggestions for paint? My default is Sherwin Williams.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »
Been slowly but steadily working through my pile of handwash laundry items (actually my dry clean laundry pile, but who cares?)  I've got limited space on my drying rack, and some of these items are prone to dripping dye water, so I gotta just tackle it 3-4 at a time and rotate them out.

Also yesterday, I went through my closet and stuff and marked out a number of high value high fashion items that I had collected over the years but wear very rarely now (an expensive alternative fashion).  Today I'm going to take pictures of all of them and prep them to sell this weekend.  Hoping to make upwards of $500 cleaning out my closet this way!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2017, 02:14:28 PM »
When I get home from work, I am going to clean the dining room window. 

I just love this thread!  keep it going!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »
A while ago I accidentally bought the "daylight" kind of LED bulbs (they cast a super white, cold light, which I happen to find unpleasant). Well, since they are LEDs and will never burn out, I am stuck with them. But, today, I finally moved all the bulbs around in the various fixtures in our house so all the daylight LEDs are now in the basement, where the quality of their light doesn't bother me at all, and all the warm LEDs are in the living room and kitchen, casting a golden glow over everything.

I also went through our stash of paint to see whether we had enough semi-gloss for me to embark on my re-painting the trim project. No dice. Any suggestions for paint? My default is Sherwin Williams.

No specific brands, just that I painted my bedroom last summer with some cheap paint (what they sell at Walmart).  It was a whim, though something I'd planned to do eventually, but that's why I went with the Walmart stuff.  Because it was a light colour (off-white - very dark room because of the cedar tree right up against the window) it was ok.  But I didn't really enjoying painting with it, and would definitely recommend getting a better quality paint.  If you have good technique, and not too dark a colour, you really can get away with only one coat sometimes, and that wasn't the case with the stuff I used.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2017, 08:15:40 PM »
i went through my papers, phew. AND I konmari-ed my underwear drawer because people in another thread told me to.  :)  Now I have no clean underwear so I guess laundry is up next. (Sorry curtains.)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2017, 08:22:22 PM »
Mine today barely feels like I did anything - we made a "things to do before baby" list.  Now I have some more odd chores to get done!

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »

No specific brands, just that I painted my bedroom last summer with some cheap paint (what they sell at Walmart).  It was a whim, though something I'd planned to do eventually, but that's why I went with the Walmart stuff.  Because it was a light colour (off-white - very dark room because of the cedar tree right up against the window) it was ok.  But I didn't really enjoying painting with it, and would definitely recommend getting a better quality paint.  If you have good technique, and not too dark a colour, you really can get away with only one coat sometimes, and that wasn't the case with the stuff I used.

Good call, PJ.  I think paint is one those "spend the extra $8" things. If nothing else, my already prone to carpal tunnel issues hand and wrist will thank me later.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2017, 04:57:46 AM »
I did a few chores yesterday. I went through a bunch of papers and shredded old items. I shined every piece of glass in my vintage art glass collection. I cleaned up all my plants (cut leaves, shaped, and pulled out old stuff) then fertilized them. I also organized my board games collection and piled up a few of them to donate.

Funnily enough I realized that I have been doing a lot of decluttering in my kitchen but spread out over a few weeks. I just recognized how much I had cleaned up (donated) when I started putting some items away. Surprise odd chore success!

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »
Cleaned out a catch all drawer and surfaced a few gift cards (yay!) and a couple of stale dated cheques (boo!).  That should teach me not to go too long without checking what's in the "holding" slot.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »
This has been GREAT!  Even my DH is going for it.  Mending, cleaning odd bits, dealing with paperwork - it's actually getting done!  Love it!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2017, 07:55:12 PM »
This has been GREAT!  Even my DH is going for it.  Mending, cleaning odd bits, dealing with paperwork - it's actually getting done!  Love it!

Me too.   Tomorrow I will clean the window in the spare room. 

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »
Oh, shoot. I didn't do an odd chore. Well, I did at work. I cleaned out all three desk drawers, and cleared of the top, too. Does that count?

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2017, 06:24:38 AM »
Oh, shoot. I didn't do an odd chore. Well, I did at work. I cleaned out all three desk drawers, and cleared of the top, too. Does that count?

Cleaning out 3 desk drawers at work definitely counts.  You could come up to Canada and do mine too! 

My odd chore for today is to clean the window in the spare room.   

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2017, 07:29:19 AM »
Today I will hem curtains!  I really, really mean it this time.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2017, 08:06:24 AM »
Yesterday I finished working on the pillow revamp I started last week. Goodbye boring plain brown square, hello flower petal sunburst pattern. Cuteness achieved, desire for new home decor stemmed. Two birds, one stone!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2017, 08:50:03 AM »
I had a little bit of a slump this week, but today I froze some leftovers and cleaned out the fridge.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
I'll admit I haven't done something every day, but I figure every day I do is more than I've been doing.  So today, I am finally cleaning out the bottom of the china hutch.  My son took a bunch of family stuff (silverware, etc.) a few months ago, so it's time to organize what's left.  I think there are a lot of tablecloths that will go in the donate bag.

QueenV

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »
I'm in! I've got a list of odd jobs a mile long. :/

Yesterday I organized the top of a long bookcase in our living room. Today I'm hoping to go through the large stack of mail I've been ignoring for a month or so.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »
Today I am on a bit of a cleaning frenzy. My odd chore for the day, glass cleaning! I am polishing my living room bay window, my glass French doors and the glass doors to my bookcases.

After that I am debating moving more furniture around OR doing some cooking for the week. I want to make a giant pork roast to chop up and freeze in packages, along with mini individual shepards pies in mason jars.  Whichever one I don't do today, I will do tomorrow.

It's only been a few weeks but my house is looking very neat and tidy. I can see the changes starting to come together and even my regular chores have kicked in a bit more with no real conscious effort on my part. I love this tread, so motivating!!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
I love this thread too.  I somehow feel better about doing chores when I know you guys are all doing it too off in internet-land!

I will clean the front of the stove now.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »
Okay. I had a dry week there (didn't do any odd chores, and even missed a few of my routine ones!). But today we're making up for it! DH scraped all the old caulk out of our guest shower/tub that was failing and getting gross. I'll recaulk after lunch. We also pulled our sconces down and I'm touching up the paint. There were some white areas that the old sconces covered, and the new ones don't. We had to match the paint since there wasn't any left. We got the paint a while back, but never followed up. It's not a totally perfect match, but waaaaaaay closer than white, haha. I think once it cures it won't be noticeable. I also spackled over some holes from the old thermostat and a couple divots, and will paint over those later. We ALSO finally hung up DH's black belt certificates and his sword in his office.

Very productive day!

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2017, 05:03:02 PM »
I had forgotten to finish filing my son's 2014 (!) tax return, so I got back to it today, and it's now printed and waiting for mailing. He is owed money, at least.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2017, 05:38:15 PM »
Mended a ski bag that has had ripped seams since the late 1980s! (inherited it from in-laws, have been using it by tying a rope around it) Got five pairs of ice skates sharpened, for the first time in 8 years!

Less exclamation-point worthy, but it also looks like I'm on track to finally sew up rips in boys' athletic pants BEFORE they grow out of them.  Went to Goodwill and bought a yucky old pair of athletic pants to cut up and use as backing fabric.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
Cleared off bedside table top and reshelved the books I'm clearly not going to read any time soon.  Also vacuumed the basement stairs which we ignore for weeks on end. They look so much better!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2017, 08:20:56 PM »
Did inventory of my less used kitchen cabinet stock to see what I have to use up.  So. Many. Dried. Beans.  Worked beans into two meals this week and some rice into another meal.

I also looked up some toddler friendly recipes as she's been eating way too much mac and cheese lately.  Picked a couple to try out for nights the adults eat later.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2017, 06:33:20 AM »
Yesterday the weather was so nice, I decided to take my glass cleaning outside and extended my chore to cleaning the glass front doors and the outside of my bay window. I could easily clean my bay window once a week it gets so dirty, I'm thinking about making it more of a habit. It only takes 5 minutes and I could easily do it while I was waiting for the kettle to boil or something mundane like that.

Pachnik, I stole one of yours! This morning I washed the front of my stove and then washed one of the walls in my kitchen.

I have a giant wall in my front hall that is covered in funky fabrics in embroidery hoops of all different sizes. I am about to vacuum all the fabric and dust the frames. Then I am going to take apart my couches / chairs and vacuum all the insides and cushions. I am feeling energetic today and want to get a ton done today because it's going to be a busy week at work.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2017, 06:58:17 AM »
Well, I'm fashionably, and typically, late to this party, but I am so in need of this motivation. Producing a list would be too overwhelming, so I'll just use this thread to motivate myself to do something, anything,  every day. But first, must check out that Christmas thread...

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2017, 07:10:10 AM »
Well, I'm fashionably, and typically, late to this party, but I am so in need of this motivation. Producing a list would be too overwhelming, so I'll just use this thread to motivate myself to do something, anything,  every day. But first, must check out that Christmas thread...

Welcome Diane C.,  this is a very inspiring thread. 

Today, I will clean the inside of one of the glass panels that makes up the sliding door.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2017, 08:51:25 AM »
following for inspiration ;)

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »
Today I finally painted the curb furniture find I picked up almost 4 years ago! It's a little cabinet for the dining room.

QueenV

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2017, 10:53:42 PM »
Yesterday I made it through about 1/3 of my mail stack. Today I made it through another 1/3 and finished some thank you cards from Christmas.

I was really tempted to skip out on the mail stack yesterday but the thought of this thread kept me motivated!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2017, 11:42:20 PM »

Today, I will clean the inside of one of the glass panels that makes up the sliding door.

Well, I did my one fucking extra chore today. I am so pissed, I just have to swear about it. Hope y'all don't mind. My MIL has ALzheimer's and she lives with us. Somewhere between yesterday afternoon and mid-day today, she sat on the living room sofa with an open pen in her back pocket. Yup, there are pen slashes all over two of the three lower cushions. WTF? Fortunately, the Pottery Barn sofa  (bought it on CL) has removable covers. We pulled the covers off the cushions, saturated the ink with hairspray and blotted the hell out of every single ink mark, over and over. Then the covers went into the washer after a heavy dose of Spray 'n Wash. I washed them in Woolite. The ink seems to be gone and the covers are in the dryer. Then I will have to wrestle the covers back on before I go to bed. On top of that, I couldn't find the remote for the living room TV. Another WTF moment. I finally found it under a pillow on her bed. While I was searching for it in her room, having exhausted all logical options, I picked up a sun hat (it's been raining all week) from her dresser. There was something wrapped in newspaper underneath. Gah - It was the peels from two bananas that she had taken from the counter and eaten some time yesterday. That on top of three squares plus snacks. At least it's winter, or I would have been dealing with fruit flies. Thanks for letting me vent, folks. Wrestling the sofa covers off, washing and replacing them was #1,698 on my list of chores, but hey, at least it's done now. Until she does it again. Oh, well, at least I don't have to get up and go to work in the morning.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2017, 11:57:29 PM »

Well, I did my one fucking extra chore today. I am so pissed, I just have to swear about it. Hope y'all don't mind. My MIL has ALzheimer's and she lives with us. Somewhere between yesterday afternoon and mid-day today, she sat on the living room sofa with an open pen in her back pocket. Yup, there are pen slashes all over two of the three lower cushions. WTF? Fortunately, the Pottery Barn sofa  (bought it on CL) has removable covers. We pulled the covers off the cushions, saturated the ink with hairspray and blotted the hell out of every single ink mark, over and over. Then the covers went into the washer after a heavy dose of Spray 'n Wash. I washed them in Woolite. The ink seems to be gone and the covers are in the dryer. Then I will have to wrestle the covers back on before I go to bed. On top of that, I couldn't find the remote for the living room TV. Another WTF moment. I finally found it under a pillow on her bed. While I was searching for it in her room, having exhausted all logical options, I picked up a sun hat (it's been raining all week) from her dresser. There was something wrapped in newspaper underneath. Gah - It was the peels from two bananas that she had taken from the counter and eaten some time yesterday. That on top of three squares plus snacks. At least it's winter, or I would have been dealing with fruit flies. Thanks for letting me vent, folks. Wrestling the sofa covers off, washing and replacing them was #1,698 on my list of chores, but hey, at least it's done now. Until she does it again. Oh, well, at least I don't have to get up and go to work in the morning.

So glad you were able to get the marks out of the cushion covers.  And I am with you on hating wrestling the couch cushion covers back on!  Such an in-fun chore!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2017, 06:41:15 AM »
Diane C - that sounds like a stressful day. I'm glad no work for you today!

I'm going to work today, it's technically a holiday here in Ontario but I need some catch up time at work. Plus it's likely no one will be there so it will be very peaceful! Can I say going to work on a holiday is my odd chore?

I found a beautiful vintage cased art glass vase yesterday at the thrift store which I did buy ($3, worth about $60) it is in need of some major cleaning, so I will be doing that when I get home today as my official odd chore. I also need to cut up a GIANT pork roast I made yesterday and seal it into single servings for the freezer. I had quite the cooking frenzy yesterday which will make the rest of my week a little easier.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2017, 06:47:05 AM »
I am going to wash the top of my dining room table this morning before I leave for work using wood soap. 

I know i say it often but this is one of the best threads ever for me!   

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
Love this thread. 
With the spring like weather we have been having and a large house party next weekend, I have been doing some odd jobs to make the place presentable.
I will save the couch cushions for post party.  (Some of our parties can get pretty crazy)

I have cleaned all the furniture on the front porch so we could sit in the sun all weekend.
Son swept all the ceiling corners.
Son, daughter and I went through the house with vinegar spray bottle and clothes to wipe all marks off light switches and walls and doors.
Sprayed my bayleaf tree, shamrock and orchids with soap, alcohol and water to remove spider mite infestation.
Washed floors were sticky (major floor wash to wait until after the party)
Dusted the stone wall around the fireplace.
Dusted the vase collection.  (I keep eyeing the vases for Kon-maring and then someone brings me flowers that go in one and only one of 25 vases and I think - can't get rid of that one)
Sorted through all the old seeds and started getting the garden plan underway.
Ordered new seed as needed.
Took apart the Christmas wreaths on the front door and composted them.
Put away the Christmas lights.
Cleaned off the solar panels with the remaining snow on them so I can make money!  Last month I had to pay 6 bucks for the distribution charge because there was no sun when there was no snow and income was zero.

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2017, 07:50:22 AM »
Was inspired by this thread. Yesterday I tidied and swept out half of the basement so we could have a proper craft area and exercise area.

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »
This thread is so great! I was lurking, but now I'll post:

Saturday - Did my taxes! Woohoo! Also cleaned the wall behind the stove.
Sunday - No chores done, but got ahead on homework
Today - I will clean the top of the stove and the range hood. :)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
Someone please tell me to get off the forums and get back to my curtains project. I *have* been working on them as promised, but I'm not done. I need to be done.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »
Someone please tell me to get off the forums and get back to my curtains project. I *have* been working on them as promised, but I'm not done. I need to be done.

GO!!!

Did that help?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »
Making a BIG batch of anti-cat spray to keep the neighbours cats from pissing and copulating (Oh goodness, the sound! The stench!)  In our carport, on our deck, in the flower beds on the side of our house, on our front door step...

I don't know what it is about our place that is so enticing but I'm about to rip my hair out.

I figured this counts as an "odd" chore.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2017, 01:29:05 PM »
Making a BIG batch of anti-cat spray to keep the neighbours cats from pissing and copulating (Oh goodness, the sound! The stench!)  In our carport, on our deck, in the flower beds on the side of our house, on our front door step...

I don't know what it is about our place that is so enticing but I'm about to rip my hair out.

Indeed.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2017, 01:31:27 PM »

Indeed.

On the show "My Cat From Hell," neighbourhood cats outside on the property are often the source of a problem for the cats being featured on the show.  The host tends to use a motion activated sprinkler to scare them off, and at least on the show, it seems to work pretty well.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2017, 01:38:40 PM »

Indeed.

On the show "My Cat From Hell," neighbourhood cats outside on the property are often the source of a problem for the cats being featured on the show.  The host tends to use a motion activated sprinkler to scare them off, and at least on the show, it seems to work pretty well.

We tried that, but can't cover all the areas we need to easily. I think the cat just thinks it is a new challenge, everything we have done, he finds a way around.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2017, 02:54:30 PM »
Caulked the kitchen backsplash and "textured" the ceiling patch in my living room (mid century ranch with a swirl texture on the ceiling - removed part of a wall and had to patch and mimic the texture).