Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2020 Runners Thread  (Read 14205 times)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2020 Runners Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2020, 05:57:32 PM »

The weather is heating up in the gulf coast south. I was planning a half on April 19th but we’ll see. If it’s going to be 75-80 I won’t hit a PR so for me, likely not worth the work of tapering, waking up/traveling, etc. we’ll see.

Do you still have a race that has not been cancelled / postponed?  April 19 doesn’t sound likely to happen, to be honest. 😬😬

When I checked yesterday, the race was still on. I’m pretty indifferent either way. I know it’s the running and training that is going to progress me in the long run, which I’m continuing regardless. It seems a lot of people need the thought of a race to have motivation to run, but it doesn’t change much for me.

I typically don’t sign up for races until like a week or two before, because if it doesn’t seem like I’ll be 100%, I’m fine not doing them as well.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2020, 08:40:00 AM »
You’re right, it’s the regular running that will make you progress. If you don’t need a race to motivate you, that’s great. In fact, that’s a sign of true running love!
Let’s see what happens - keep us posted!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2020, 11:54:03 PM »
Been a while since I posted here.

@use2betrix wow that's a great improvement on your mile time! I'm struggling to work out what the metric equivalent of that is though :)

That's a great PR and what a way to improve!  I sometimes will look through my old "Track Tuesday" times to see what my splits are, so I can see that I'm improving.

I did my virtual 10k today (not racing, just running), through the neighborhood.  I hit some big hills, because that's where I live.  It was fun.

Indeed, my 10 mile trail race in May has been postponed until October.  At least.

Most of my events have been postponed to at least August, but there's been no word from any of them as to whether they will go ahead or not.

Seems like that is not putting you off @mm1970, well done on the 31min 5k!

I've been mostly just doing easy miles lately. Ran a 25k yesterday for my long run, and just trying to maintain about 50k of running a week now. It's hard to get motivated when there are no events locked in, and even harder when you don't notice the improvements (even if they are being made), because of not going all out on a training run.

I had a goal at the start of the year to do 2020km, and am still on track for that. Currently at 582km - Jan 117, Feb 181, March 200 and April 83. Hopefully I can get to 200 again this month and keep that momentum going.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2020, 11:59:22 AM »
It seems to be hard for people to be motivated.  Even my running coach bought new shoes to motivate herself to run more.
Another friend says she's been taking it easy because she has no races, but it's helping her speed.
I'm getting kudos for still going!  But I really need it to stay sane.

I'm still struggling a bit.
This week:
- I did my speed workout on Tues (800s).  I went a little faster than "goal race pace" because no race till October.  So, a little sub-10:00.  Hard 800s for me would be more like 8:30-9:00.  So, coming in somewhere in the middle.
- Thursday it was raining and I was supposed to do 50 minutes with neg split and I wasn't feeling it.  Did 3+ miles, but didn't stretch enough, hamstrings tight, back ache, yeah, ended up walking the last half mile.
- Sat was pretty good - 6.4 miles, at an easy-ish pace.  12:43, but a really hilly course.  So, I went harder than I prob should have for "easy", and paid for it with the headache the last half of the day.

My struggle is to find places to run where I can social distance.  My neighborhood works, usually, but near the end of my run there are a lot of walkers and dog walkers - far more than usual because nobody is working.  This week I ran west and into a very nice, rich area.  That was much better (fewer runners and walkers, more cyclists), but there's a 0.5 to 1 mile section that is narrow and windy and the traffic was not any less than normal (lots of gardeners trucks).

It's important for me to stay away from people, because I cannot run well with a mask (my glasses fog up). 

Still, I'm doing ok. My coach was checking in on me (it's obvious I'm not following her "plan" anymore).

This week plan:
Tuesday: 1200 m repeats with 200m jog recovery (prob aim for 9:45-10:15 pace - hard but not blistering).
Thursday: hill repeats.  I live on a hill, this is easy
Sat: long run. Either a repeat of last week, or maybe I'll drive over to a rural-ish place to run.  Aim for 6-7.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2020, 12:15:12 PM »
Been a while since I posted here.

@use2betrix wow that's a great improvement on your mile time! I'm struggling to work out what the metric equivalent of that is though :)

That's a great PR and what a way to improve!  I sometimes will look through my old "Track Tuesday" times to see what my splits are, so I can see that I'm improving.

I did my virtual 10k today (not racing, just running), through the neighborhood.  I hit some big hills, because that's where I live.  It was fun.

Indeed, my 10 mile trail race in May has been postponed until October.  At least.

Most of my events have been postponed to at least August, but there's been no word from any of them as to whether they will go ahead or not.

Seems like that is not putting you off @mm1970, well done on the 31min 5k!

I've been mostly just doing easy miles lately. Ran a 25k yesterday for my long run, and just trying to maintain about 50k of running a week now. It's hard to get motivated when there are no events locked in, and even harder when you don't notice the improvements (even if they are being made), because of not going all out on a training run.

I had a goal at the start of the year to do 2020km, and am still on track for that. Currently at 582km - Jan 117, Feb 181, March 200 and April 83. Hopefully I can get to 200 again this month and keep that momentum going.

We’re on very similar paths for yearly mileage! I had originally planned for 1000 miles I think? But now I’m shooting for 100 miles/month average, or 1200 miles per year. For your metric reference, your 2020km looks to be 1254 miles!

Here in the states, our spring events are basically all cancelled. There’s no way I’m hitting a PR in the southern coast between Jun-August with the heat. My last race I did was December, so I may very well have around 10 months between that race and my next.

I’ve been struggling with motivation but still been getting out there. I’m moreso struggling to make myself do my weekly “hard/interval” run.. Mostly just easy runs. Regardless, since I’m still newer to running, just getting the miles in will help.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2020, 12:34:19 PM »
My running club had a virtual race on Saturday. Three distances 15 K 25 K or 50 K.
Everyone started at 8:00 am and tuned in there log at then end. We ended up with over 50 people running all over the area.

I ran the 15 K 2:07 not great but considering everything I'll take it.

Most of the trails have been closed due to weather or covid-19, I've been lucky so far my local park has not gotten to crowded to run in. Missing the dirt though.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2020, 01:33:06 PM »
Well, I WOULD have been boarding a plane headed to Boston tomorrow.  I will probably refund my entry fee and skip the September version of the race.  I couldn't get to the hotel booking until five hours after the link went live, and there was nothing left.  :(  The race might not even happen anyway.  I am not physically or mentally ready to tackle a marathon anytime soon.  I made it 13 out of the 18 weeks of training and lost all joy in running.  I'm still doing it, but it feels terrible and isn't doing anything but stressing me out more.  I'd probably feel worse if I gave up all exercise, though, so I'm doing what I can.

I'm a total buzzkill. 

At least the weather has been pretty pleasant lately.  It's nice to see you all still chugging along.  :)

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2020, 07:00:47 AM »
Well, I WOULD have been boarding a plane headed to Boston tomorrow.  I will probably refund my entry fee and skip the September version of the race.  I couldn't get to the hotel booking until five hours after the link went live, and there was nothing left.  :(  The race might not even happen anyway.  I am not physically or mentally ready to tackle a marathon anytime soon.  I made it 13 out of the 18 weeks of training and lost all joy in running.  I'm still doing it, but it feels terrible and isn't doing anything but stressing me out more.  I'd probably feel worse if I gave up all exercise, though, so I'm doing what I can.

I'm a total buzzkill. 

At least the weather has been pretty pleasant lately.  It's nice to see you all still chugging along.  :)

Don't beat yourself up too bad. I am having the same thing going on with the half marathon I was supposed to run two weeks ago. Probably going to skip the October reschedule, because my marathon is in November... assuming either of them happen.

Sorry about Boston, that has to be a heartbreaker.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2020, 08:47:19 AM »
I'd probably feel worse if I gave up all exercise, though, so I'm doing what I can.

This is 100% true! I’d suggest tailoring a workout more to your enjoyment as opposed to just what’s “best.” No need to knock yourself out with a grueling program when you may have 6+ months until your next race. Just keep a strong base level of fitness so that you’re in a good place when it’s time to start getting serious for the next race.

I am keeping a weekly schedule of about 80% of what I would do prepping for a race. Mileage is about 80%, and I’ve mostly just cut back on my hard interval days. I still do them some, but only about 1/2 as much as I would otherwise. If I can just keep this base level strong through the summer, I should be very comfortable to pick things up several notches when I decide on the next race to do.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »

I'm a total buzzkill. 

I think you are normal.  A friend I met during a half marathon training program a couple of years ago qualified for Boston and was supposed to be there.  So, I hear you.  I have many many friends who are adrift right now, unmotivated, not feeling it because no races. 

I am actually mostly following my coach's run plan for a race that isn't happening, but decreasing overall mileage (half marathons are just too much for my body).  I am intentionally slowing down my long runs (coming in around a blistering 13-13:30 pace), and I am finding that I enjoy myself much more.

I know I'd feel worse if I did nothing.  Several friends are giving me kudos for still going!  You do NOT want to see peri-menopausal me working FT at home and helping kids with distance learning without running.

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Marathon in November...Is it possible?
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2020, 07:01:11 AM »
I'm a 50yo former smoker who, in a momentary lapse of reason, signed up for a marathon in November. I have done two half's around 2012 but gave up running due to foot and back problems.  These have abated somewhat.  I'm also 5'11 and weigh 210.

So far I have been running 4 times a week...Three of those are 3-4 mile runs and one "long" run of 6-6.5 miles.

Am I on track for success?  My goal is to finish within 5 hours but I'd take just 6 hours if I had to.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2020, 09:16:01 AM »
Anyone interested in a Summer Virtual Challenge? Laz from VolState and the Barkleys has put together something. :)

The Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee 1000K

PLACE
Bottom Left Hand Corner of Tennessee
Memphis, TN US 37920
DESCRIPTION
The Great Virtual Road Race Across Tennessee... 1000 Kilometers

Laz and Durb (with technical expertise from Bad Mike) are putting together the virtual race of the summer:

1,000 kilometers across Tennessee from the very southwestern tip of the state to the very northeastern tip of the state.

We will have a map set up vol-state style showing your daily progress across the great state of Tennessee.

Runners will have a vol-state link where they can turn in their daily mileage to update the map and standings. This link will be given to you BEFORE MAY 1.

Can you beat your buddies from the Mississippi River levee near Anthonyville, Arkansas to the high trestle branch off of Buckeye Hollow road way up in the Appalachian Mountains?

And when we say the Race of the Summer, we mean the whole summer!

It will start on May 1 and continue through August 31. To complete the race will require only a hair over 5 miles per day...  and those who want a little extra on their plate, you can do the out and back version... 2,000 kilometers.

Everyone can challenge themselves... and all comers!

We will have a fine looking commemorative shirt to all starters. For those who persevere til the very end we will have a medal that will be the envy of all... except for those determined suckers who get the double crossing medal for running all the way back.

So the question is; Who wants to play?

https://runsignup.com/Race/TN/Memphis/TheGreatVirtualRaceAcrossTennessee1000K?fbclid=IwAR31gtzSmu2RLOdgG6Zxwz8s1IbS8dAnMUti0QM4z_Phg4wwQHBuSFvR_Qs

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2020, 02:04:17 PM »
Anyone interested in a Summer Virtual Challenge? Laz from VolState and the Barkleys has put together something. :)

The Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee 1000K

PLACE
Bottom Left Hand Corner of Tennessee
Memphis, TN US 37920
DESCRIPTION
The Great Virtual Road Race Across Tennessee... 1000 Kilometers

Laz and Durb (with technical expertise from Bad Mike) are putting together the virtual race of the summer:

1,000 kilometers across Tennessee from the very southwestern tip of the state to the very northeastern tip of the state.

We will have a map set up vol-state style showing your daily progress across the great state of Tennessee.

Runners will have a vol-state link where they can turn in their daily mileage to update the map and standings. This link will be given to you BEFORE MAY 1.

Can you beat your buddies from the Mississippi River levee near Anthonyville, Arkansas to the high trestle branch off of Buckeye Hollow road way up in the Appalachian Mountains?

And when we say the Race of the Summer, we mean the whole summer!

It will start on May 1 and continue through August 31. To complete the race will require only a hair over 5 miles per day...  and those who want a little extra on their plate, you can do the out and back version... 2,000 kilometers.

Everyone can challenge themselves... and all comers!

We will have a fine looking commemorative shirt to all starters. For those who persevere til the very end we will have a medal that will be the envy of all... except for those determined suckers who get the double crossing medal for running all the way back.

So the question is; Who wants to play?

https://runsignup.com/Race/TN/Memphis/TheGreatVirtualRaceAcrossTennessee1000K?fbclid=IwAR31gtzSmu2RLOdgG6Zxwz8s1IbS8dAnMUti0QM4z_Phg4wwQHBuSFvR_Qs

I'm in! I am already running Vol State this year (unless it gets cancelled as well), so I have half the distance covered in about 7-8 days. Planning on putting in 250-300 km months for May and June. Briefly toyed with the idea of doing the double crossing as I figure I'll finish the first crossing during Vol State, but I just can't make the math work to where I'm not burned out and possibly injured by the end of August. Plus we're hosting an exchange student from Australia thru November, so really hoping we can get out and do some stuff with her this summer. Still, should be a lot of fun, plus it will keep me focused on my training for Vol State!

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2020, 05:37:33 PM »

I'm in! I am already running Vol State this year (unless it gets cancelled as well), so I have half the distance covered in about 7-8 days. Planning on putting in 250-300 km months for May and June. Briefly toyed with the idea of doing the double crossing as I figure I'll finish the first crossing during Vol State, but I just can't make the math work to where I'm not burned out and possibly injured by the end of August. Plus we're hosting an exchange student from Australia thru November, so really hoping we can get out and do some stuff with her this summer. Still, should be a lot of fun, plus it will keep me focused on my training for Vol State!

Great!

I needed something to get me out the door and consistent again. I won't be finishing early, just to get there. 35-40 mile weeks hopefully. April will be my first 100 month since 1/19.

Vol State would be epic! Are you running crewed or screwed?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 05:48:33 PM by dblaace »

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2020, 08:25:07 AM »
March was my first 100 mile month in ages! Managed 125 for April and had a 60 mile week last week for the first time ever - I don't intend to keep that level up though, will probably stick to 45-50 mile weeks.

I am SO hoping Vol State isn't cancelled! I'm running screwed - in my mind, crewed is almost harder because you've got an easy out sitting right there when you hit a low spot. Screwed, if you feel like dropping out it might be half a day (or more) before the meat wagon can pick you up, so you may as well keep moving!

I had some friends do it last year, one the year before. I have one friend doing it with me this year, though we've already agreed that we'll only stay together if it makes sense to do so. He is a much higher caliber runner than I am, and I don't want to hold him back if he decides to push it. I'm shooting for 7-8 days for a finish - my wedding anniversary is the last day of the official race, but I figured I better be home by then!

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2020, 10:43:45 AM »
March was my first 100 mile month in ages! Managed 125 for April and had a 60 mile week last week for the first time ever - I don't intend to keep that level up though, will probably stick to 45-50 mile weeks.

I am SO hoping Vol State isn't cancelled! I'm running screwed - in my mind, crewed is almost harder because you've got an easy out sitting right there when you hit a low spot. Screwed, if you feel like dropping out it might be half a day (or more) before the meat wagon can pick you up, so you may as well keep moving!

I had some friends do it last year, one the year before. I have one friend doing it with me this year, though we've already agreed that we'll only stay together if it makes sense to do so. He is a much higher caliber runner than I am, and I don't want to hold him back if he decides to push it. I'm shooting for 7-8 days for a finish - my wedding anniversary is the last day of the official race, but I figured I better be home by then!

I know someone who has done it several times and did it last year. Not sure if he's doing it this year.

Good luck if it happens! Races seem to be getting canceled daily. I just got an email that TransRockies was cancelled.

I'm planning on one in August but have not registered yet.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2020, 01:35:35 PM »

I know someone who has done it several times and did it last year. Not sure if he's doing it this year.

Good luck if it happens! Races seem to be getting canceled daily. I just got an email that TransRockies was cancelled.

I'm planning on one in August but have not registered yet.

Thanks! Ugh, that sucks your race was cancelled. If your August one falls through you should consider coming to IL Labor Day weekend - I'm one of the RDs for a 200k race. It's on a 25k course that's double track and run washing machine style, so you're able to keep your distance. You can get swag starting at 50k and every 50k after. PM me if you're interested - as long as the park is open we plan to have it! Hope your August race is still a go!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »
For someone like me, that kind of race sounds brutal.  My phone tells me I've run 566 miles in the last year...that's more than ever in a year for me.  2019 calendar year it was 520.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2020, 06:19:03 PM »
I'm supposed to run the NYC Half this weekend. There has been radio silence from the organizers despite increasing coronavirus cases in NYC and NY State, a state of emergency, and messaging not to gather in large crowds. I suspect it will end up getting canceled at the last minute, but who knows. From a public health standpoint, they should probably cancel, but I'm sure they don't want to lose all the money.

I also have a cold (99.9% sure it's not the coronavirus based on the symptoms and lack of known exposure). I'm hoping that if the race is on, I'm better by Sunday. I signed up for this race on a whim, and really don't want to defer until next year. I did the training and now I just want to do it and be done with it.

I almost hope the race gets canceled so I don't have to make a decision. But in general I hate all this uncertainty, especially for my first (and planning it to be my only) big race.

If the race goes on and I don't feel better by then, any tips for running with a cold? It's basically all nasal congestion/runny nose, with minor coughing from post nasal drip. I usually take advil before long runs anyway to prevent a post-run headache, and I will of course plan to be well hydrated in the days leading up to the run. Anything else I should do?

Well, this post didn't age well. I found out today that I tested positive for covid antibodies, and that this cold was actually covid. The cough did get worse after this post, but I never had a fever. Covid symptoms seem to vary so much, and we didn't know that six weeks ago. I'm really glad they canceled the race, because if I had tried to run it, I would have exposed so many people. And I don't think I would have been able to finish anyway. I've had a really hard time running after this illness. I've been fully recovered for a long time, but my breathing and heart rate are just not the same when I exercise. I still can't keep up the pace or the mileage from before I got sick.

I still want to try to run a half marathon on my own to "earn" that medal I picked up, but it'll take longer than I thought.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2020, 08:58:15 PM »
I'm supposed to run the NYC Half this weekend. There has been radio silence from the organizers despite increasing coronavirus cases in NYC and NY State, a state of emergency, and messaging not to gather in large crowds. I suspect it will end up getting canceled at the last minute, but who knows. From a public health standpoint, they should probably cancel, but I'm sure they don't want to lose all the money.

I also have a cold (99.9% sure it's not the coronavirus based on the symptoms and lack of known exposure). I'm hoping that if the race is on, I'm better by Sunday. I signed up for this race on a whim, and really don't want to defer until next year. I did the training and now I just want to do it and be done with it.

I almost hope the race gets canceled so I don't have to make a decision. But in general I hate all this uncertainty, especially for my first (and planning it to be my only) big race.

If the race goes on and I don't feel better by then, any tips for running with a cold? It's basically all nasal congestion/runny nose, with minor coughing from post nasal drip. I usually take advil before long runs anyway to prevent a post-run headache, and I will of course plan to be well hydrated in the days leading up to the run. Anything else I should do?

Well, this post didn't age well. I found out today that I tested positive for covid antibodies, and that this cold was actually covid. The cough did get worse after this post, but I never had a fever. Covid symptoms seem to vary so much, and we didn't know that six weeks ago. I'm really glad they canceled the race, because if I had tried to run it, I would have exposed so many people. And I don't think I would have been able to finish anyway. I've had a really hard time running after this illness. I've been fully recovered for a long time, but my breathing and heart rate are just not the same when I exercise. I still can't keep up the pace or the mileage from before I got sick.

I still want to try to run a half marathon on my own to "earn" that medal I picked up, but it'll take longer than I thought.

Wow! Glad you're recovering and hope you get back to running condition soon. Fever seemed to be the one key symptom.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2020, 10:23:04 AM »
Today's run!

4 x 1 mile with 2 min rest. Supposed to be at "goal race pace", which ... I don't know what that is right now, ha!  Because races postponed.

So, I figured, my 10miler or half marathon would be at 10:45-11:30-ish goal.  Instead, I just ran medium-hard miles and figured that's good enough.

Negative splits! 10:43/10:19/10:19/10:04, whee!!  My last 5k time trial came in at 10:07 so I'm pretty happy with that last mile.  (Heart rate was way too high though, average at 169, which is high for my age, and I don't want to talk about the max...)

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2020, 11:00:52 AM »
Today's run!

4 x 1 mile with 2 min rest. Supposed to be at "goal race pace", which ... I don't know what that is right now, ha!  Because races postponed.

So, I figured, my 10miler or half marathon would be at 10:45-11:30-ish goal.  Instead, I just ran medium-hard miles and figured that's good enough.

Negative splits! 10:43/10:19/10:19/10:04, whee!!  My last 5k time trial came in at 10:07 so I'm pretty happy with that last mile.  (Heart rate was way too high though, average at 169, which is high for my age, and I don't want to talk about the max...)

Nice

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Marathon in November...Is it possible?
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
I'm a 50yo former smoker who, in a momentary lapse of reason, signed up for a marathon in November. I have done two half's around 2012 but gave up running due to foot and back problems.  These have abated somewhat.  I'm also 5'11 and weigh 210.

So far I have been running 4 times a week...Three of those are 3-4 mile runs and one "long" run of 6-6.5 miles.

Am I on track for success?  My goal is to finish within 5 hours but I'd take just 6 hours if I had to.

Ok you have 6 months. Work backwards from there. It's hard to say if you're on track because you haven't given your times for these runs (or what sort of effort you are putting into them).

By the end of October, you should have done one run of 32km or longer (20 miles).

By the end of September, your weekly long runs should be at least a half marathon distance.

By the end of August you should get up to running 25 miles per week.

All of your training should basically be at an easy pace where you can hold a conversation. You should not be exhausted at the end of each run. If you want to do a hard effort run, limit it to no more than once a fortnight, and make sure you have a day off afterwards.

There's a few marathon training plans out there (Hal Higdon etc). It's hard to follow them if you have a busy life, but they do work if you stick to them.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2020, 07:19:30 AM »
So my race last month was canceled and I haven't yet found another one, but the running's been going great!   I did a glorious 2 hour run on some beautiful single track up and down the mountain the other day with my daughter.  That's been my longest run in a good while.  Plantar fascitis seems to have cleared up finally.  Life is good.   

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2020, 12:01:59 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm a former runner turned bike commuter, and while we are working from home and avoiding errands I have no where to bike to!
Also I weaned my youngest in December... so hopefully no more ligament relaxing hormones means I can maybe start running regularly again - it's been 13ish years since my last half marathon... and 8 since my last non recreational triathlon!

DH and I have been following the c25k program and are approaching the last 2 weeks, when we run we have a 7 year old on scooter, a 4 year old on a 2-wheeler bike, and a toddler in the running stroller... so we are the very definition of chaos. But this works better for exercise than a recreational bike ride - for one the kids get exercise too, for two we stay closer to home, and for three it takes less time.

As we approach the end of the program I'm starting to think about what I should plan for next. I don't really want to follow a 'race' program because I like staying a 2-3 miles 3x a week (with maybe increasing one to a 'long' run at maybe 4 miles). So the current plan is one shorter 'tempo' paced run, one funner interval/hill/fartlek type run and then a slow long run varying in length by how we all feel.

@mm1970 I love reading about your heart rate struggles! Mine also runs super high. (FWIW my 'zone 2' long runs had an average HR of 186 when I was training for my 1/2 marathons... and my mile intervals could easily run into the mid 190's, and sprints over 200 - but I was only 25 then). Now my fitbit tracked my last 20minute run with an average heart rate of 175-179... I would've called it hard, but not too hard given I held it consistent for the whole 20 minutes, and have only been running for about 6 weeks... so zone 3, maybe 4?  I use RPE, talk tests etc. because they are generally more useful then my heart rate zones.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2020, 08:28:58 AM »
So....I have COVID-19.  Day eight.  It seems to have gone right to my lungs.  I haven't had anything higher than a low grade fever (99-99.6F).  I tested negative right after symptoms started, but everything has been spot on for the virus, and I was exposed to a known case at work.

I'm 35.  I'm healthy.  This has hit me HARD.  In the first few days, the shortness of breath was remarkable.  We got a pulse ox just so I could monitor myself, and I've been doing okay.  But wow.  The chest pain and nerve pain nearly sent me to the hospital twice.

I refunded my Boston Marathon entry for the September race.  I wasn't sure I'd be able to train properly.  It's just not meant to be.  When I start running again, I'm going to have a lot of slow, tedious work to do to get back.  How are you doing, @zygote?

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »
So....I have COVID-19.  Day eight.  It seems to have gone right to my lungs.  I haven't had anything higher than a low grade fever (99-99.6F).  I tested negative right after symptoms started, but everything has been spot on for the virus, and I was exposed to a known case at work.

I'm 35.  I'm healthy.  This has hit me HARD.  In the first few days, the shortness of breath was remarkable.  We got a pulse ox just so I could monitor myself, and I've been doing okay.  But wow.  The chest pain and nerve pain nearly sent me to the hospital twice.

I refunded my Boston Marathon entry for the September race.  I wasn't sure I'd be able to train properly.  It's just not meant to be.  When I start running again, I'm going to have a lot of slow, tedious work to do to get back.  How are you doing, @zygote?

Oh man, that sucks. I hope you recover soon and manage to stay out of the hospital!

I'm finally starting to feel normal-ish on my runs, two and a half months after my symptoms started. By normal, I mean I'm able to push myself to go a little faster or a little farther and it feels like progress instead of a setback. But I completely lost all the fitness I gained training for the half marathon. The last run I did before I got sick was my 10 mile long run, and I'm just now feeling like I can do a slower 3.5-4 mile long run safely. And that's only because I backed off after my antibody test and stopped trying to do long runs for two weeks. It's like I'm back at the beginning of my training plan.

I definitely tried to push too much too soon when I was first recovering. Since I originally thought it was just bronchitis, I didn't understand why 1-2 miles at my old pace felt so hard and would just grit my way through it in the hopes of finishing the half on my own soon (lol no). I think that really slowed my comeback, because my lungs weren't fully recovered before I tried to work them out again. I really wish I had waited longer. I highly recommend waiting until your cough is completely gone and breathing feels 100% easy and normal in your daily life to run again, and being really gentle with yourself when you do.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »

Oh man, that sucks. I hope you recover soon and manage to stay out of the hospital!

I'm finally starting to feel normal-ish on my runs, two and a half months after my symptoms started. By normal, I mean I'm able to push myself to go a little faster or a little farther and it feels like progress instead of a setback. But I completely lost all the fitness I gained training for the half marathon. The last run I did before I got sick was my 10 mile long run, and I'm just now feeling like I can do a slower 3.5-4 mile long run safely. And that's only because I backed off after my antibody test and stopped trying to do long runs for two weeks. It's like I'm back at the beginning of my training plan.

I definitely tried to push too much too soon when I was first recovering. Since I originally thought it was just bronchitis, I didn't understand why 1-2 miles at my old pace felt so hard and would just grit my way through it in the hopes of finishing the half on my own soon (lol no). I think that really slowed my comeback, because my lungs weren't fully recovered before I tried to work them out again. I really wish I had waited longer. I highly recommend waiting until your cough is completely gone and breathing feels 100% easy and normal in your daily life to run again, and being really gentle with yourself when you do.

Yeah, I suppose I benefit from getting sick a few months after it hit the country (NYC) really hard.  Others' experiences have been really helpful in my understanding just how bananas these symptoms are.  And just about everyone says no physical exertion for a long while.  It almost creates another wave of immune response.  This isn't like the cold where sometimes a workout helps clear things out.

I'm glad to hear that you're making some progress.  I have heard of cases 60-90 days in with some pretty awful lingering issues.

You'll get your redemption half.  It might not be until later this fall, but you'll get it!  (if you want it.  if not, that's cool too)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2020, 05:11:32 PM »

Yikes, not just a cold, eh?

I'm on day 9 of the run streak.  My 14 yo is running the 1 mile days with me.  My husband joined a few days ago.

The 1 mile is basically downhill and uphill.  About 0.35 mi down, 0.3 mi flat, 0.35 back up.

Today, they beat me for the first time, by 12 sec.  Sigh.  I've been running for years, but I'm not a 14 yo boy or 6' tall so...usually I could pass them on the hill

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2020, 02:14:53 PM »
Run streak update (the missing days are when I do speedwork, long runs, etc.)  My 1 mile is basically 1/2 mile downhill and then back up (100ft). I PR'd today!

Run streak   1 mile pace
5/17/2020   12:39
5/18/2020   11:27
5/20/2020   11:04
5/22/2020   11:07
5/24/2020   11:11
5/25/2020   11:11
5/27/2020   10:57
5/29/2020   13:09 (my 7 year old joined us, I ran with him)
5/30/2020   11:25
5/31/2020   12:33 (stayed with the teen, he was dogging it)
6/1/2020   10:36

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2020, 04:45:49 PM »
Run streak update (the missing days are when I do speedwork, long runs, etc.)  My 1 mile is basically 1/2 mile downhill and then back up (100ft). I PR'd today!

That's awesome!  Great job!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2020, 05:22:13 PM »
I have run over 302 miles this year so far.

Half way through the run streak (going till July 4).
I'm not sure I'm gonna make it.

My achilles is killing me, and my sciatica/piriformis is flaring.  I think I need a break from running.  Or to at least cut back to 2x a week, and pick up walking/ hiking/ biking again.  Not ready for the pool.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2020, 05:18:36 AM »
I had to cut back at the end of May / early June. Same problem (achilles) it was sore and tender for about a week but I kept running on it. Then it got really sore and tender so I gave it five days off with ice and rest. Hated every single day I wasn't running but it seemed to work.

Started running on it again when it was still niggling a little, but the extra "weight" on it from pounding the pavement helped put some strength back into it.

I haven't tested it with a long run yet (21km+) but will be tomorrow morning in about 8 hours. Fingers crossed eh!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2020, 05:34:07 AM »
I had to cut back at the end of May / early June. Same problem (achilles) it was sore and tender for about a week but I kept running on it. Then it got really sore and tender so I gave it five days off with ice and rest. Hated every single day I wasn't running but it seemed to work.

Started running on it again when it was still niggling a little, but the extra "weight" on it from pounding the pavement helped put some strength back into it.

I haven't tested it with a long run yet (21km+) but will be tomorrow morning in about 8 hours. Fingers crossed eh!

Eccentric heel drops have worked wonders on achilles' niggles for me in the past. Hakan Alfredson did a really nice sports science study showing that they're more effective than surgery and a whole bunch of other possible medical interventions.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2020, 05:40:56 PM »

I decided to take a break, and last Weds was my last run.  I'm not sure how many days I'll take off.  I think I'll start with 1.5 weeks and go from there.

Also, I ordered new shoes.  I already have 2 pair of relatively new shoes, but they are Altras. I love altras for the toe box, but I think that maybe zero drop just aren't good for me for as many miles as I've been putting in.  I looked at my last year's of running, and each time I hit 16 miles/ week, I started having issues with various body parts.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »
We finished up the c25k program this week.

Current plan is to restart the program with jog/run intervals instead of walk/jog intervals. Maybe two interval sessions a week and one 30 min straight pace run. The time commitment for these workouts is about right for us... and since our kids are biking along - we probably can't got much further or longer at time. Even the toddler in the stroller is calling it quits after more than 40 minutes.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2020, 09:12:10 PM »
Feet are back to feeling fine now! 🙂

Last Sunday ran a 25k, but was then immediately notified the marathon I’d signed up for has been postponed again from August to November.

I don’t really want to back off the training but I might have to a little bit.

Want to get some shorter distance PBs this year at least.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2020, 02:15:30 PM »
So, I took a week and a half off from running and started up again, slow.  I decided to go with 2x a week, right now Tues/Thurs.  I am enjoying alternating family hikes (short, because: 8 yo) and longer dog walks with the husband on Saturdays.  I have no races upcoming until MAYBE October, so why force myself to slog through long runs on Saturday?

Anyway, my favorite thing in the world for running, really, is speed work.  Today I did "race recovery" week from one of my books, which is 2x(200m with 200 recover), 2x(400m with 200 recover), 2x(200m with 200 recover).  I had my fastest 200m repeats all year, and my 2nd fastest 400m.  So yay!  I walked for my warm up, cool down, and all recovery sections. 

Breaks are good!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2020, 05:54:02 PM »
I’ve still been trucking along with my goal of 100 miles per month. Last month I hit 120 miles. I’m working 55-60 hrs/wk + weight lifting hard twice a week, so the running takes up a chunk of my free time.

Have been dealing with some ongoing injuries but usually can work around them with heat, ice, stretching, exercises, etc.

Goals this year are 1:38 in my first half, 1:35 before next summer hits.

I’d like to break 21 mins in a 5k and 44 mins in a 10k..

We’ll see how it goes.. I think they are all achievable if everything goes right (no sidelining injuries)

Also - today is exactly 2 years since I started running, I’ve ran 1802 miles in that time.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2020, 11:54:37 AM »
That's some good mileage.  I've flipped my running / lifting.  Lifting 4x a week and running 2x.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2020, 03:44:00 PM »
Just a quick check in.  I too have decreased my mileage as it's gotten really hot and humid.  I'm lifting weights three times a week, and that's going well.  I don't have a good track record for weight lifting (I lose interest and then let it slide after a while), so this is the best I've done so far.  Two solid months of lifting under my belt. 

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2020, 07:48:52 AM »
Just a quick check in.  I too have decreased my mileage as it's gotten really hot and humid.  I'm lifting weights three times a week, and that's going well.  I don't have a good track record for weight lifting (I lose interest and then let it slide after a while), so this is the best I've done so far.  Two solid months of lifting under my belt.

I bought a treadmill so I can run in my basement during the hot months of June - August. I got the Horizon t101 for $599 (including tax and shipping). I've had it for 3 weeks and I am very happy with it.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2020, 06:51:53 AM »
I have a race this Saturday! An actual non-cancelled Half Marathon race!

Very excited. Fingers crossed for an unlikely PB, it's a rolling hilly course. Not mountains, but not flat either.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2020, 03:24:32 PM »
I have a race this Saturday! An actual non-cancelled Half Marathon race!

Very excited. Fingers crossed for an unlikely PB, it's a rolling hilly course. Not mountains, but not flat either.
Wow, a real race!  Good luck,

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2020, 02:59:23 AM »
I forgot to update here!

Race run, no PB. Actually blew up after 18.5k and lost about 5 minutes but still finished in 1:54.

A little disappointed but I’m going to have another crack before the year is out.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2020, 06:46:21 PM »
I forgot to update here!

Race run, no PB. Actually blew up after 18.5k and lost about 5 minutes but still finished in 1:54.

A little disappointed but I’m going to have another crack before the year is out.
My 10 mile trail race in March was postponed to October.  As of now it's still on, but I'm not sure I will do it if it is.

I might just let them keep my money.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2020, 07:56:13 AM »

Hello everybody!

I was reviewing my progress since last year. I started jogging in the spring 2019, with the goal of forming a habit. I am pleased to say that my running habit is formed! I jog most days, and usually miss only if raining.

I lost 15lbs since I started, without thinking too much about it and most recently I added some other exercise in the mix as well, a couple times a week.

I was going to run my first 5k this summer. It was cancelled. Oh well.

Last year in the winter months I took advantage of my Y membership and used their treadmills during my lunch breaks. The Y was conveniently located a couple minutes by foot from my office. The issue now is that I'm working from home, and will be for the next few months. The weather is starting to cool down, and this week my morning runs are already at 45-50F (4.5-7.5C). I live in a area were we will have a couple weeks under -30F (-34C). I'm not sure what to do for this winter. Maybe get an stationary bike or treadmill? Those things look gigantic, and my apartment is not big. I'm still trying to find a good solution for the months to come. Anybody here has a treadmill etc? Is it worth it?

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2020, 02:19:14 PM »

I decided to take a break, and last Weds was my last run.  I'm not sure how many days I'll take off.  I think I'll start with 1.5 weeks and go from there.

Also, I ordered new shoes.  I already have 2 pair of relatively new shoes, but they are Altras. I love altras for the toe box, but I think that maybe zero drop just aren't good for me for as many miles as I've been putting in.  I looked at my last year's of running, and each time I hit 16 miles/ week, I started having issues with various body parts.

Yea, I only run in Altras on low mileage days.

For your achilles: try doing some of your runs on softer terrain. Any dirt roads or soccer pitches near you?

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2020, 02:21:44 PM »
I’ve still been trucking along with my goal of 100 miles per month. Last month I hit 120 miles. I’m working 55-60 hrs/wk + weight lifting hard twice a week, so the running takes up a chunk of my free time.

Have been dealing with some ongoing injuries but usually can work around them with heat, ice, stretching, exercises, etc.

Goals this year are 1:38 in my first half, 1:35 before next summer hits.

I’d like to break 21 mins in a 5k and 44 mins in a 10k..

We’ll see how it goes.. I think they are all achievable if everything goes right (no sidelining injuries)

Also - today is exactly 2 years since I started running, I’ve ran 1802 miles in that time.

You definitely should be able to break 21 min in 5k if you hit 1:38 in the half.

I ran a 1:40 half then a 20:40 5k a couple months after.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2020, 06:20:23 AM »
You definitely should be able to break 21 min in 5k if you hit 1:38 in the half.

I ran a 1:40 half then a 20:40 5k a couple months after.

Sounds like either you're naturally a fast-twitch muscle person, or you weren't quite as well trained for the half as you were for the 5K?

Jack Daniels' calculator, which is pretty widely used, says a 1:40 half is equivalent to 21:47 5K. I've been (just) under 1:40 for a half, but never below 21:40 for 5K.

For a 1:38 half, the calculator gives 21:20 for 5K and 44:15 for 10K.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!