Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread  (Read 67619 times)

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 20, 2019, 05:23:47 AM »
My first half marathon is in the books - ran in 2:01. Just missed my top goal of sub 2 hour but I'm happy with this result. Felt great the first 10 miles but fell apart at the end. I had to cut back a bit on my last couple weeks of training to let some nagging injuries heal up, and the second half of the race was in the sun and hit 70, so I was overheating. I need to get a singlet for days like that, maybe that will help me stay cool.
I'm hurting today, muscles are sore and rolled my ankle at one point (which thankfully didn't bother me until after I stopped moving). The plan is to take a week or 2 off and then start training again.
Any advice on improving half marathon times? I haven't done much speedwork this cycle, mostly worked on building up my aerobic system. Longest run was only 11 miles which isn't great, want to get that up to 13 or 14 for the next one.

Next goals
5K in September - sub 25 min, sub 24, sub 23:30
Half marathon in Oct/Nov - maintain pace through the finish, sub 2:00, sub 1:58

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: May 20, 2019, 08:11:01 AM »
@BookValue great first effort! And it sounds like you know exactly what you need to do to improve your time: get your long run up to 13/14 miles, and add a day of speed or hills. (And also get lucky with weather and injuries, but those are not always within our locus of control.)

I was officially cleared to resume all physical activities last Monday, and it has been GREAT. I ran normal-ish "not really training for anything, just running" mileage last week, and did two days of gentle yoga. I don't think I've lost as much fitness as I was worried I would! I haven't been running at my normal pace, but that's probably 50/50 being out of shape and the weather heating it up (it hit 90 yesterday, ugh). I guess all the walking I was doing paid off.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #302 on: May 20, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
My first half marathon is in the books - ran in 2:01. Just missed my top goal of sub 2 hour but I'm happy with this result. Felt great the first 10 miles but fell apart at the end. I had to cut back a bit on my last couple weeks of training to let some nagging injuries heal up, and the second half of the race was in the sun and hit 70, so I was overheating. I need to get a singlet for days like that, maybe that will help me stay cool.
I'm hurting today, muscles are sore and rolled my ankle at one point (which thankfully didn't bother me until after I stopped moving). The plan is to take a week or 2 off and then start training again.
Any advice on improving half marathon times? I haven't done much speedwork this cycle, mostly worked on building up my aerobic system. Longest run was only 11 miles which isn't great, want to get that up to 13 or 14 for the next one.

Next goals

Great job!  Maybe give yourself more than a couple of weeks off from the training.  YMMV, but I need a break of a month after a half.

So, improving half marathon times, I would say:
1.  Speedwork
2.  Hill repeats
3.  Distance, but you already know that.  (Note: I do not ever run longer than 11.5 miles while training for a half.  But I've also never done sub-2.)

I've been struggling with getting my pace back after an injury, so after this recent half I'm going to shift to speed work.  I was going to train for the uphill half but my heart isn't really in it this year.  Maybe next year.  Besides, I love speed work!

When my running coach is really training for a half to PR, in addition to long runs (14+) she incorporates speed work into the long runs.  Sometimes aims for a strong finish (last 2-3 miles fast).

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #303 on: May 20, 2019, 12:23:48 PM »
Bit of a random question, is anybody running Grandma's next month (Full, half, 5k, whatever)? I think it would be a lot of fun to meet some other Mustachian runners while we're all in Duluth!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2019, 07:33:54 PM »
I ran an incredibly rainy (windy + thunder) half on Sunday. It wasn't a lot of fun. I shaved 90 seconds off of my last half time, but nowhere near my PR. It was a miserable run. In positive news, I don't have any lingering knee/ankle pain like I did after my last half (had to take months off of running), so my more consistent training definitely paid off. I also didn't fuel enough, and hit the wall at mile 10 or so. It was brutal. I was drenched from head to toe, could feel blisters forming from my wet socks/shoes, and I just didn't have any energy. I sent my sister on ahead of me, and gutted it out. My pace the last few miles was almost a minute slower than my previous miles. Yikes. I need to experiment with different fuel options and know how much I need to avoid that feeling again.

Next up is a relay on the Washington coast in two weeks or so. I think I have a total of ten miles between the two legs, so totally manageable.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: May 21, 2019, 12:10:28 PM »
Ugh, I haven't posted in forever and my running is way behind schedule. I'm running a half marathon June 2nd and I am nowhere near where I wanted to be in my training. Work has been a huge time sink lately (at least I've gotten paid for the overtime which is super rare). I'll do the best I can at the half and then try to reset and get back on track with running and health in general.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #306 on: May 21, 2019, 01:37:26 PM »
@FireHiker - this happens to me a lot as well. I try to rebuild the consistency at the lower base (3, 3-4 mile runs/week) with a long run each weekend. If I get the consistency at the lower miles on track, I find that I can hack out the longer runs. Once I drop the shorter runs, it all falls to heck & I want to give up because each run is just so dang hard.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: May 22, 2019, 12:21:13 PM »
@FireHiker - this happens to me a lot as well. I try to rebuild the consistency at the lower base (3, 3-4 mile runs/week) with a long run each weekend. If I get the consistency at the lower miles on track, I find that I can hack out the longer runs. Once I drop the shorter runs, it all falls to heck & I want to give up because each run is just so dang hard.

Thanks for the encouragement! I've still been getting out at least a couple times per week, but last year I had a consistent yoga practice and attended a boot camp class twice a week during my training and I think those things really made a huge difference in my overall fitness level. Everything just seems to hard right now. My husband has been dealing with an injury so he hasn't been training like he planned either. We're going to go try and have fun at the half and not worry about time and then get back on track. Between work really being busy lately and my oldest graduating high school next month (!!) life has been overwhelming lately. It should settle down here though (huge work meetings last week) and I should be able to reset and re-prioritize my health and fitness again.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: May 23, 2019, 03:31:06 AM »

Next goals

Well done @BookValue, 2:01 is great for a first half! How to improve? Run more.

I am totally underdone for my first marathon on June 1, but I've done a consistent 35km a week for several months now, with a couple of 30km / 3 hour runs - one in Feb and one in April, so I think I'll be ok for a 4 hour crack.

It's nowhere near the recommended 50 miles a week, but it's the best I could do with work and my current fitness levels without getting injured.

Consistent steady training, very gradually increasing distance and speed. Good luck!

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2019, 05:07:17 AM »
@marty998 You're gonna do great for your first marathon!  It's all about the experience anyway.  Your times are in line with a sub-4 hour finish.  Just make sure that you go out nice and easy and don't get too caught up in the moment.  You want the first one to be fun, not a death march for the last 6-10 miles.  This is especially important with a lower mileage base.  Run too close to the red line for too long and you'll find that "wall" fast.  Enjoy the last week of taper!

@BookValue Great first half marathon!  Nearly breaking 2 on the very first is quite the achievement.  With a few more months of consistent running, you'll likely run well under 1:58 in your next one.  My first was just under 1:54, and the second 1.5 months later was 1:45.  Since you're not regularly doing speedwork, a weekly tempo run will go a long way in preparing you for a faster half.  I would prioritize that over intervals if you're easing into a speed schedule. 

@FireHiker  You'll be fine for your half!  You're a veteran of the distance and know what it takes to finish.  Just go out and have a good time.  Definitely don't let it add more stress to your life. 

It's really getting hot and humid here.  I went out early Monday morning before my interview (!!!! for a rocket scientist position!!!!), and I was absolutely soaked through after 5 miles.  Running continues to be my time to think about work, talk through my seminars/presentations, and rehearse what I'm going to say if I'm asked for my salary requirements.  I was cooling down and stretching last night when I got the call about salary, and I was ready.  Thanks, running!

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #310 on: May 23, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm curious, how many miles per week do you half and full marathoners average? My peak week was 24, average was around 20 the previous 10 weeks. Planning to get that up to 25 avg with a peak of 30 for the next half

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #311 on: May 23, 2019, 12:40:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm curious, how many miles per week do you half and full marathoners average? My peak week was 24, average was around 20 the previous 10 weeks. Planning to get that up to 25 avg with a peak of 30 for the next half

Half marathon: 40-45 miles per week, peaking at 50
Full: 50-55 miles per week, peaking in the mid 60s

Pretty much whatever is a reasonable build with low probability of injury.  I can usually handle the above volumes with two speed sessions and a long run per week over a 12-18 week program.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #312 on: May 23, 2019, 04:18:50 PM »
@marty998 You're gonna do great for your first marathon!  It's all about the experience anyway.  Your times are in line with a sub-4 hour finish.  Just make sure that you go out nice and easy and don't get too caught up in the moment.  You want the first one to be fun, not a death march for the last 6-10 miles.  This is especially important with a lower mileage base.  Run too close to the red line for too long and you'll find that "wall" fast.  Enjoy the last week of taper!

Cheers, my last week of taper includes a shot at a sub 22 5k run tomorrow so we'll see how that goes :D

I am going to run the marathon, or at least run until I hit that wall, at 5:30-5:40 / km pace. This is about my half marathon best time pace set last September (with much less training), so I may accidentally beat my HM best while doing the full distance haha.

Who knows, fingers crossed.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: May 23, 2019, 07:26:16 PM »
@marty998 - good luck on the 5k! Based on your progress I think you’ll hit your 22 minute goal no problem.

On a side note, do any of you read Running books? I’ve read several and found them to be insanely motivating. As much as some of the YouTube videos I’ve watched on UltraMarathons when on the treadmill.

Some of the books I’ve read (well, usually listened on commutes) and really enjoyed:
Born to Run - Christopher McDougall
Finding Ultra - Rich Roll
Ultramarathon Man - Dean Karnazes
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:10:06 PM by use2betrix »

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: May 24, 2019, 01:06:04 AM »
Running With The Kenyans by Adharand Finn is really interesting - he basically moved to Kenya for a year to improve his running. It's sobering reading; as non-Kenyans, we're forever running in their shadows. More Kenyans run a sub-2:20 marathon every month than Americans have ever managed it.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: May 24, 2019, 05:22:04 AM »
Running With The Kenyans by Adharand Finn is really interesting - he basically moved to Kenya for a year to improve his running. It's sobering reading; as non-Kenyans, we're forever running in their shadows. More Kenyans run a sub-2:20 marathon every month than Americans have ever managed it.

Your author does realise going to Kenya won't change his genetics right? :P

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #316 on: May 24, 2019, 10:52:16 AM »
@marty998 - good luck on the 5k! Based on your progress I think you’ll hit your 22 minute goal no problem.

On a side note, do any of you read Running books? I’ve read several and found them to be insanely motivating. As much as some of the YouTube videos I’ve watched on UltraMarathons when on the treadmill.

Some of the books I’ve read (well, usually listened on commutes) and really enjoyed:
Born to Run - Christopher McDougall
Finding Ultra - Rich Roll
Ultramarathon Man - Dean Karnazes
Funny story about Born to Run (great book) and about 2 people I don't know and have never met.

One of our local ultramarathon trail runners is profiled in the book.  He was on a plane somewhere, and the lady next to him was reading Born to Run.  She said, "Have you read this?  It's great!"  He never fessed up to being IN the actual book.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: May 24, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »

One of the interesting debates in the book is to what extent genetics is a factor. Most of the Kenyan runners come from Iten and went to the same Irish missionary school. They're not any genetically different to other Kenyans and they're training at much lower altitude than many others. His conclusion is there are many contributory factors as well as genetics.

"Feet in the Clouds" by Richard Askwith, a book about the traditional British (mainly Northern English) sport of fell running (races up and down a mountain) which has been credited with a big revival in the sport.

"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by Haruki Murakami - a philosophical memoir of his experiences of running.

"Eat and Run" by Scott Jurek - American ultra-runner talks about his life and ultra-running, along with a bunch of vegan recipes.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #318 on: May 25, 2019, 12:45:27 AM »

No dice, a touch under 23 today, but a long way off 22. Might and been the cold air chilling my lungs, but that was the best I could manage this morning.

One of the interesting debates in the book is to what extent genetics is a factor. Most of the Kenyan runners come from Iten and went to the same Irish missionary school. They're not any genetically different to other Kenyans and they're training at much lower altitude than many others. His conclusion is there are many contributory factors as well as genetics.

"Feet in the Clouds" by Richard Askwith, a book about the traditional British (mainly Northern English) sport of fell running (races up and down a mountain) which has been credited with a big revival in the sport.

"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by Haruki Murakami - a philosophical memoir of his experiences of running.

"Eat and Run" by Scott Jurek - American ultra-runner talks about his life and ultra-running, along with a bunch of vegan recipes.

Ooh I've read Haruki's one. It's also interesting that after the Kenyans and Ethiopians, there are so many elite Japanese runners.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #319 on: May 25, 2019, 01:07:53 AM »
It's also interesting that after the Kenyans and Ethiopians, there are so many elite Japanese runners.

The Hakone Ekiden (200+km relay with 10 runners in each University's team) is a massive national event, certainly the biggest annual sporting event in Japan. For many people, a big part of new year's holiday celebrations is spending 2 days watching it. Some of the runners end up being mobbed by teenage girls - like being in a boyband or something.

The year I saw part of it, something like 30 of the students ran the equivalent of a 63 minute half-marathon. Britain had only one runner (Mo Farah) capable of that time.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #320 on: May 26, 2019, 07:17:36 AM »
PTF.

Hi everyone!

Past: ran my first half marathon last fall

Future: signed up for my first full marathon this coming fall, same event (what was I thinking?! Oh, right, the if-you-sign-up-now-while-you're-still-sore-its-only-$75-email)

Current: Week like 5 or so of Hal Higdon's 30-week beginner-to-marathon training plan, and I've got a fun 5k bubble run with my MIL and SIL at the end of June.

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #321 on: May 26, 2019, 07:27:51 AM »
I'm training for a marathon while traveling Europe full-time... It's been interesting. On the positive side, I'm always running in new, beautiful areas so I don't get bored. On the other hand, it's hard to run on cobblestones! And following a training schedule is difficult when you end up needing to do a 15mi run in the hilliest city you've ever seen...

I also learned a lesson about shoe quality. I tore a hole in my Brooks Ghost shoes and needed a new pair. I was in remote Romania and couldn't find a good running store, so I ended up going to a discount sportswear chain. Got one of their most expensive shoes (still only like $50 on sale) that felt pretty good in the store. Ohhh boy, I've never had foot and leg pain like that from running only a few miles! I tried them twice and then dropped them in the donation bin. Fortunately I found a legit running store in the next city I visited. I'll stick with what works, even though they're $120 a pair!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #322 on: May 26, 2019, 10:18:40 AM »
@marty998 dang - no dice this time! You seem to have been killing it lately so I would’ve thought it’d in the bag. What are the temps like there? I’m in the south central US, right now when I run at around 5:30 a.m. it’s upper 70’s with about 75% humidity (feels like temp is usually in the 80’s). I’ll be longing for cooler weather again soon!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #323 on: May 26, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »
You can do the maths for me to convert the temps :D

Normally in the mornings where I am its 15-20C, however I went down to see my brother over the weekend in another city it was between 5-10C.

He was laughing at me because after the race the condensate was actually "steaming" off me... Seems I was heating up the local area haha.

My lungs were burning from the cold, it felt like my insides were being chilled, which was the main problem in getting enough air. Something like that is probably ok if you're used to training in it, but I certainly wasn't!

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #324 on: May 27, 2019, 09:27:19 PM »
I'm joining the thread--- I signed up for my first half marathon!
Its in October. Right now I am doing the pre-training training. Basically learning how to best incorporate running in my life and schedule on a consistent basis and slowly adding a mileage base. I am running Tues/Thurs/Sat's. Its around 2-3 miles T/Th, and Saturdays I am slowly increasing my distance. This past week I did 2.25, 3, and 3.3. This week looking to do 3 miles each during the week and then 3.5 on Sat.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #325 on: May 28, 2019, 01:20:28 AM »
I'm 2 weeks into an 8-week half-marathon training program. Ran 27 miles total last week, 24 the week before. Long run last week was 9. Today ran 6. I'm running around 11 min/mile. Right knee is very stiff right now, which is not usual for me, so of course I'm thinking worst case scenarios (thanks, Internet). But probably just a bit of overuse, especially considering it's only week 2. Stretching, less sitting, maybe try to keep legs elevated a bit in case it's fluid.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #326 on: May 28, 2019, 09:02:21 AM »
Spontaneously ran a half marathon on Saturday. First one ever, not too shabby @ 1:55 total time.

Can't see the allure of 26.2 =P

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #327 on: May 28, 2019, 01:33:42 PM »
I'm 2 weeks into an 8-week half-marathon training program. Ran 27 miles total last week, 24 the week before. Long run last week was 9. Today ran 6. I'm running around 11 min/mile. Right knee is very stiff right now, which is not usual for me, so of course I'm thinking worst case scenarios (thanks, Internet). But probably just a bit of overuse, especially considering it's only week 2. Stretching, less sitting, maybe try to keep legs elevated a bit in case it's fluid.
Foam rolling and hip/core work might help with that.  I have knee issues sometimes too.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #328 on: May 28, 2019, 01:35:07 PM »
Spontaneously ran a half marathon on Saturday. First one ever, not too shabby @ 1:55 total time.

ah ha ha

A guy I met training for one of my half marathons last year just ran his first full marathon...in 2:55.
That made me think...that's only 3 min more than my most recent half marathon (which, admittedly, was my personal worst).

Then again, I'm not 29 years old, male, and >6 feet tall...

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #329 on: May 28, 2019, 03:32:21 PM »
Funny story about Born to Run (great book) and about 2 people I don't know and have never met.

One of our local ultramarathon trail runners is profiled in the book.  He was on a plane somewhere, and the lady next to him was reading Born to Run.  She said, "Have you read this?  It's great!"  He never fessed up to being IN the actual book.

Ha ha, that's awesome. My brother lives up your way (Ventura) and he's an ultrarunner. They've gone to Born to Run the last two years and they've met many of the people from the book now. I was thinking about doing the 30 mile race there in a couple years. Anyway my brother told me about the book and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks @Better Change for the encouragement! My head just has not been in it this year like it was last year! I got out and did 5 miles Sunday, plus I went to yoga three times last week. We're just going to try and have fun this weekend and then I'm really going to focus on getting my diet under control so I can get these 40 pounds off and enjoy the running a little more.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #330 on: May 28, 2019, 04:03:47 PM »
Foam rolling and hip/core work might help with that.  I have knee issues sometimes too.

Thanks, good reminder that I haven't done that! I have been very good about running since about October but all strength training, yoga, etc has fallen off and I am probably doing a lot more sitting.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #331 on: May 28, 2019, 04:29:25 PM »

Ha ha, that's awesome. My brother lives up your way (Ventura) and he's an ultrarunner. They've gone to Born to Run the last two years and they've met many of the people from the book now. I was thinking about doing the 30 mile race there in a couple years. Anyway my brother told me about the book and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks @Better Change for the encouragement! My head just has not been in it this year like it was last year! I got out and did 5 miles Sunday, plus I went to yoga three times last week. We're just going to try and have fun this weekend and then I'm really going to focus on getting my diet under control so I can get these 40 pounds off and enjoy the running a little more.
I have a few friends who just did the 30 miler at BTR.  Looks like a ton of fun, if running un-mapped (but at least marked?) loops for 8 hours is your idea of fun!

I'm a little wary of trail running after I bit it last year, but I'm still thinking of doing a 5 mile trail race in Montana del Oro in December.  Maybe if I can survive a few trail runs without falling on my face...

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #332 on: May 29, 2019, 11:14:34 AM »
Just found this video and the stretches for stiff knee were helpful, plus a good tip to use a dog leash for a strap. Weird to manually move your patella around (gently of course), makes you realize how strange the body is. I wonder what the point of that (moving patella) is? She said on some people it could take effort. Yikes!

https://youtu.be/WgPviOiTp-8

I have full mobility, it's only if I get into a squat that I feel one knee tighter than normal and a little more effort to get up than normal. Rested from running yesterday and may rest & stretch again today...

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #333 on: May 29, 2019, 11:37:33 AM »
I have a few friends who just did the 30 miler at BTR.  Looks like a ton of fun, if running un-mapped (but at least marked?) loops for 8 hours is your idea of fun!

I'm a little wary of trail running after I bit it last year, but I'm still thinking of doing a 5 mile trail race in Montana del Oro in December.  Maybe if I can survive a few trail runs without falling on my face...

My sister-in-law ran the 30 again this year and my brother ran the 10 with a top 20 finish. I may get up there and do the 10 or 30 one of these years.

I sure wish I had another month before the half marathon, but it's this Sunday. I ran 3 miles this morning and felt the best I've felt in awhile, but not "ready to run a half marathon without stopping" good. Oh well. I'll do 2 miles on Friday and then we'll just do our best Sunday. I'm going to keep at it though!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #334 on: May 31, 2019, 07:56:38 PM »
With summer coming, let’s here your hot weather tips! I ran this afternoon with a 100 degree heat index and had to cut my 4 mile run to 3.5 miles. Averaged a 9 minute mile which was probably a bit fast for the heat. Didn’t bring water (though I hydrated well all day) and did eat some sugary snacks part way through that helped.

Next time I’ll bring my camelback, but do plan to either looking into a smaller one or hip pack with a couple water bottles.

Love extreme weather running - just want to make the most of it!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #335 on: June 01, 2019, 03:04:25 AM »

Congrats 2B1S! that's an awesome time for a first effort. I'll bet though, one day you will cross to the dark side like I did today :)

May not have achieved my "A" goal of four hours, but fuck it felt good not to throw in the towel and mentally tough it out when the better option was to throw myself in the lake we circled.

The half came and went at 1:58, just one minute from my PB for that distance(!), and at 28k I was at 2:41.

I knew that was the end of the A goal because I could feel the wheels falling off due to not enough training miles and everything cramped in the last 14k. I got cramps and pains in places in my legs where I didn't know I had muscles. At 35km I lost my guts and lost 4 minutes at a toilet stop. Porta Potties are quite small, and the lack of space certainly didn't help when I needed space to...umm.... wipe properly lol.

I came to a complete standstill at 38km and again at 39.5km, where my throbbing calves and then hamstrings felt like they wanted to tear themselves from my legs and run away.

What was really surprising after that was that running was less painful than walking! So I did that, recalculated a new target of 4:30 and was all set to do it until the legs seized up with 80 metres to go! Cue audible gasp from the onlookers hanging around in the grandstand. I started bawling my eyes out* being so close watching the clock next to the finish arch and unable to move. Almost thought I'd have to crawl it. Then they all started cheering for me to get going and one woman shouted at me if I needed to be carried! One foot in front of the other and as the clocked ticked up, that last 80 took 40 seconds. Just made it at 4:29:57, net time being 4:29:42.

Frustrating as hell that I was not tired at the end. It was lack of legs, not lack of lungs that let me down. Need to do a lot more long runs, it's my own fault but there is a known path to fixing it which makes me feel good about it.

Next one is in 15 weeks. I must be crazy.

*After burning 4000 calories, I've discovered one starts to lose control of their brain function and emotional state quite quickly. I now have intimate understanding of why many finishers are a sobbing mess at the end of the big one.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: June 01, 2019, 03:24:23 AM »
Well done Marty! (And nice write-up too.) Hope tomorrow is not too painful. Couple of weeks for your body to rebuild and a parkrun PB in a couple of Saturday's time?

When you wrote about your training that I did think you might run out of steam in the last few miles. Other people have reported chilli peppers (and ginger, or other hot spices) as being helpful for avoiding cramps in the marathon. There is some science if you look online, but even if it's purely placebo, it still seems to work for me.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #337 on: June 01, 2019, 04:56:31 AM »
Great job @marty998 -- way to gut it out.  15 weeks is enough time for you to prepare for the next one.  Go you!

Excellent time for your first half @2Birds1Stone

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #338 on: June 01, 2019, 01:15:53 PM »
I’m officially signed up for a half marathon at the end of August. I did the same race last year (my first ever half marathon) and am hoping to set a PR. So far my training has been a lot better than at the same time last year, even though I basically quit running over the winter. Also hoping to run another half marathon in October but I have to wait until my work sets our travel schedules for the fall before I sign up.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: June 03, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »
I ran the rock n roll half marathon in San Diego yesterday. My training this year was sub-par (severely) compared to last year, but I stuck it out. My time sucked, but I did finish in under 3 hours. I lost about 8 minutes due to a bathroom stop along the way. Oh well. The weather was SO much better for running than last year as it was cool and cloudy and last year was SO hot and sunny. Well, "hot" for Southern California anyway. Also I didn't have a migraine this year, which was a vast improvement over last year.

It was still a lot of fun, but I was definitely frustrated with my limitations. I am so tired today, but I was relieved to see that there was some "muscle memory" even though my stamina was inferior compared to last year. I'm going to rest today, hopefully get to yoga tomorrow, and get back out there running on Wednesday. My goal now is to really concentrate on my diet and get 30-40 pounds off, while re-building my yoga practice and keeping up a consistent running schedule. I still have high hopes of running the Jack and Jill full in Washington someday, but it may be 2021, not 2020 like I had previously considered. I don't want to do another half until I can run the whole thing was 11 minute miles or better, so that will be my focus for 2020.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
Great job @marty998  Very nice write-up and I can feel the ... um ... accuracy.

@FireHiker I feel you on the disappointing half.  But I've decided that some times you just aren't feeling it.  It's okay to have a bad race.  They aren't gonna all be awesome, and it's still 13.1 miles.

I ran my first ever mile race this weekend.  Lined up with my age group, looked around and said "um, I could very well come in last".  Well, someone has to be last, right?

I was aiming for sub-10 (it's been a rough running season).  I hit just over 8:00!!  My coach this morning said "I can't believe you can even walk today."  Well, she finished in 5:48, that's a big difference.  MY limitation wasn't the legs, it was wanting to barf.  So my legs were fine today.

Next year: sub 8! 

And I wasn't last.  Pretty close though.  See, I need to line up with the 60+ people.  Though really, there weren't very many runners at 8+ miles.  I guess it's for super fast people.  Lots of my friends yelled encouragement to me, which is easy to do when you are literally running alone down the middle of the street, ha!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2019, 12:06:48 PM »
I ran my first ever mile race this weekend.  Lined up with my age group, looked around and said "um, I could very well come in last". 

A bunch of us book our local track once a year to do mile races. There's usually 30-40 people, so we do one race for the sub-6 minute runners, one for 6-7, another for 7-8 and another for 8+ (and sometimes we have enough for 2 races at that time.) Great fun. No need to think about pacing or anything like that, just run as hard as you can for 4 laps and a few extra metres.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »
Thanks, @mm1970 . I still had a lot of fun even if my time wasn't what I hoped. I don't generally like crowds and such, but the energy at the San Diego Rock n Roll is pretty awesome. At least I still came in under 3 hours. I can't imagine ever running a sub-8 minute mile; I ran a 9:30 once last year. Good luck with your efforts for next year!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2019, 02:33:39 PM »
Thanks, @mm1970 . I still had a lot of fun even if my time wasn't what I hoped. I don't generally like crowds and such, but the energy at the San Diego Rock n Roll is pretty awesome. At least I still came in under 3 hours. I can't imagine ever running a sub-8 minute mile; I ran a 9:30 once last year. Good luck with your efforts for next year!
Well, it's only one mile.
and it's all downhill

A veteran of the race said "pretty much take your normal mile time and subtract a minute".

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2019, 03:22:30 PM »
Well, it's only one mile.
and it's all downhill

A veteran of the race said "pretty much take your normal mile time and subtract a minute".

@mm1970 nonetheless, 8:00 is great for a mile! In some respects down hill can be harder, because it's simply easier to trip and fall flat on your face!

@FireHiker you can do it! Break it down into bite size chunks, and resolve to do a little better each week. That's how I worked my way up to my race on Saturday. You may not meet your big goal tomorrow, but you can always make progress towards it.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2019, 04:12:22 PM »
I do love running downhill...as long as it isn't TOO steep...there was one downhill section yesterday on the northeast corner of Balboa Park that is way too steep for comfort!

Thanks @marty998 for the encouragement! In running, FIRE-approaching, and life in general, I am totally down with incremental progress. :)

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #346 on: June 03, 2019, 06:04:41 PM »
I have not run much since my last race in Feb. After training for 6 months and accomplishing my goal it's been hard to find the motivation to get back into it.

Running has never been easy for me and I'm a mid to back of the packer at best.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #347 on: June 03, 2019, 06:44:13 PM »
@marty998 - way to stick with it for the first full marathon. In races like that, goal or not, one of the biggest satisfactions is giving it everything you have. Your training has been spot on, so you certainly haven’t been cutting any corners.

@mm1970 - awesome work on the 8 minute mile, especially when you had a goal of sub 10!

On an unrelated note - one thing I really enjoy about running is regarding age and peaking. A statement in Born to Run said something like, “male runners peak in their late 20’s, however they decline much slower than they peak, and barring no injuries, a runner in their late 50’s/early 60’s has about the same potential as an 18 year old runner.”   I don’t know how accurate this but I can certainly see it. There are many runners in their late 40’s that just destroy much much younger runs who are very fit but not “quite” as experienced.. Having just started running last 30, it’s a good motivator that I still have so much more time in my “prime.”

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #348 on: June 03, 2019, 09:27:15 PM »
@dblaace - you've described me perfectly. Don't let it get you down. I treat running as an opportunity for me to give myself time to train & get mental space, not to compete.

I ran the Hood to Coast - Washington relay on Saturday. It was gorgeous & the course was beautiful. My first leg was pretty great & I felt awesome, save for wanting to hurl as I pushed it through the chute & came in 90 seconds under my projection. Leg two was a cluster for me personally. I had fueling problems, everything hurt, it was hot, & the course was hillier than I'd expected. They also needed to add 1/2 a mile to my leg due to some sort of a transition issue, and I'd was pushing super hard through that last mile. I turned the corner, expecting my leg to be done, and instead was waved on by a volunteer telling me that I had "only" another half mile to go. I almost cried. I was "running" according to my legs/body, but my watch reports that I was over a minute off of my normal pace. So, closer to a walk. ;-) In the end, it was great & a gorgeous experience. My race entry was free thanks to a last minute addition, and relays are always a huge adventure. Today I'm quite sore in the quads. Plan to be back to running again this week, as I want to maintain most of my mileage.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #349 on: June 04, 2019, 11:29:17 AM »
I got 4 miles run/walk in this morning, I do miss the mental benefits and overall good feeling. Just need to get back in the habit and get out the door.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!