Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread  (Read 67644 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2019, 05:56:22 PM »
Wooohoo! New 5k PB today 22:56 :D

I tend to do this....it's never a couple of seconds, it always seems to be a huge chunk (this time 34 seconds!) whenever I run a new best time.

Will enjoy this for the moment, and now reassess a time to aim for on my next 10k race in 6 weeks time.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2019, 06:18:37 PM »
Great work, @marty998! Blazing fast, especially if you’re running in Australian summer! Congrats!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2019, 06:51:54 PM »
@Better Change - killer times! Seems you actual hit the times I was aiming for lol. It’s been since I was about 15 since doing any type of timed track running so I had no idea what to expect. Sounds like you really have the workouts dialed in. Do you find running the 5k in the middle or end of a workout helps by being so much more warmed up? My only “5k” I’ve really tried on, I don’t think I warmed up like I should have. I usually feel better after miles 1-2 on my runs, so maybe I need just like a 10-12 min mile warmup before going for the 5k?

@marty998 - awesome times as well! For your 10k, couldn’t you just aim for double your 5k time? ;) what did you do as a warmup before your 5k PR?

@mm1970 - I have a scrawny coworker like that than run 800’s in college. He’s like 6’2 and 155lbs, I’m 5’9 and 182 lbs. we’re both probably the same body fat. I remind him sometimes that we are built for very different activities, doesn’t mean we can still enjoy the same ones, however!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:54:35 PM by use2betrix »

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2019, 07:19:58 PM »
@use2betrix : oh yeah, I find the warmup to be pretty critical. I usually spend the first two miles above 9:00 pace. I also start my tempos slower than target pace and try to get faster over the duration. I always do a 2-3 mile warmup before a 5k race.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2019, 08:29:06 PM »
@use2betrix : oh yeah, I find the warmup to be pretty critical. I usually spend the first two miles above 9:00 pace. I also start my tempos slower than target pace and try to get faster over the duration. I always do a 2-3 mile warmup before a 5k race.

Thanks for the info! Still have a lot to learn. I’m seeing how much I progress throughout my run so that makes a lot of sense.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2019, 01:09:31 AM »
@Better Change - killer times! Seems you actual hit the times I was aiming for lol. It’s been since I was about 15 since doing any type of timed track running so I had no idea what to expect. Sounds like you really have the workouts dialed in. Do you find running the 5k in the middle or end of a workout helps by being so much more warmed up? My only “5k” I’ve really tried on, I don’t think I warmed up like I should have. I usually feel better after miles 1-2 on my runs, so maybe I need just like a 10-12 min mile warmup before going for the 5k?

@marty998 - awesome times as well! For your 10k, couldn’t you just aim for double your 5k time? ;) what did you do as a warmup before your 5k PR?

@mm1970 - I have a scrawny coworker like that than run 800’s in college. He’s like 6’2 and 155lbs, I’m 5’9 and 182 lbs. we’re both probably the same body fat. I remind him sometimes that we are built for very different activities, doesn’t mean we can still enjoy the same ones, however!

I don't actually warm up..... is that something I should be doing seriously? Honestly I look at some of the warmup routines some people do and think "I'm going to be tired before I even start the race!"

I guess I walked around a little bit at the start line listening to the announcements (it was a Parkrun 5k).

What would you suggest an appropriate warm up to be for a 5k for someone at my level? I go running 2-3 times a week for 6-8k, do a 5k Parkrun on Saturday, and a long run on Sunday (21+ km alternating fortnights, otherwise 10k). Training pace is around 6min / km.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:12:37 AM by marty998 »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2019, 01:21:50 AM »
Also @use2betrix I'm not sure it works that way on doubling the time for a 10k :D   

Under 46 would be a 2020 goal maybe.

I was happy that my last km was a 4:20, which was my fastest of the 5. Usually I start fast and cling on, this time left enough gas for the end.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2019, 09:20:28 AM »
Regarding warming up (disclaimer: not an expert): the amount of warm-up is dependent on the length of the race as well as your fitness (and ultimate race goal).  If a "long run" is 3-4 miles, then you probably don't want to do a ton of warm-up before a 5k, because yeah, you're going to tire yourself out.  However, at 20-30 mpw and with a long run of 8-10 miles (or more), I still suggest 15-20 minutes of easy running followed by three to four strides where you gradually increase pace over 100-200 m until you're basically sprinting.  Ideally you do these strides right before you hit the line so your legs are dialed into the turnover you need to settle into race pace. 

I'll do 10-15 minutes of easy running before a 10k and maybe 5 minutes of hopping around trying to stay warm before a half marathon.  I do not warm-up before a marathon, unless you count milling around the start line.  For longer races, generally the best strategy is to start a little slower than goal pace anyway, so you use the first few miles as the warm-up.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2019, 10:22:41 AM »
@Better Change - thanks for the info! While not an “expert” you’re definitely more experienced. Your advice aligns with much of what I’ve read (but failed to put in place)

@marty998 - look at it this way, you had gas left in the end and your last split was the fastest. I’m like you and when I run my harder 5k training, I might stretch a bit, walk for 5 mins, then go. I ALWAYS feel that first mile is hardest in terms of warming up and getting really loosened up. I may feel less “exhausted” but my muscles and bones always ache a bit at first.

Earlier last week I ran 5 miles and it was cooler out. Aside from a blister starting to hurt at mile 4, my 5th mile I actually felt the best by far. Had my foot not hurt, I probably could’ve crushed my previous mile splits. Even with it hurting it was 20-40 seconds faster than miles 2-4.

Everyone’s different, but I think it’s be worthwhile to give it a shot (myself included)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2019, 06:43:37 PM »
10 miles in ~1:25 today, not a PB, but close!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2019, 01:32:50 PM »

@marty998 - look at it this way, you had gas left in the end and your last split was the fastest. I’m like you and when I run my harder 5k training, I might stretch a bit, walk for 5 mins, then go. I ALWAYS feel that first mile is hardest in terms of warming up and getting really loosened up. I may feel less “exhausted” but my muscles and bones always ache a bit at first.

Every run I feel a little "hump" at about 8-12 minutes in where I feel like I just want to die. If I push through until 16 minutes I'm usually ok for the rest of the run.

Long ago I had a soccer coach who had this theory of making us do sprint repeats as a warm up. He called it "getting a second wind" when you finally go out to play.

I really don't know if it worked, but I was always stuffed by the opening whistle.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »

Every run I feel a little "hump" at about 8-12 minutes in where I feel like I just want to die. If I push through until 16 minutes I'm usually ok for the rest of the run.

Long ago I had a soccer coach who had this theory of making us do sprint repeats as a warm up. He called it "getting a second wind" when you finally go out to play.

I really don't know if it worked, but I was always stuffed by the opening whistle.

The first kilometre lies. :D

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2019, 01:28:50 AM »
My boss asked me today if I ran much over the break.

I showed her a photo of @marty998 and I doing a Christmas fun run, and she said, "Oh I'd run everywhere if he was in front!"

:D :D :D

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2019, 01:48:47 AM »
Oh my god! You can't say that @mustachepungoeshere !!!

LOL FFS haha

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2019, 08:51:29 AM »
I'd like to join!

I help sponsor (and then run in) a workplace run/walk 5k every year.  It's small and informal--everyone tracks their own time.  But it got me into running!  I've yoyo'ed the last few years, though.  I keep redoing the C25K program every year because I haven't maintained my fitness past the event.

So this year, I'm training for a 10k!  I want to progress beyond where I've been with my running.  And I'm committing to going to a race per quarter, so I don't slack back to the couch.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2019, 01:34:46 PM »
I'd like to join!

I help sponsor (and then run in) a workplace run/walk 5k every year.  It's small and informal--everyone tracks their own time.  But it got me into running!  I've yoyo'ed the last few years, though.  I keep redoing the C25K program every year because I haven't maintained my fitness past the event.

So this year, I'm training for a 10k!  I want to progress beyond where I've been with my running.  And I'm committing to going to a race per quarter, so I don't slack back to the couch.

Have you signed up for your next race yet? I find it really motivating to sign up early, have it on the calendar and have it there to look forward to.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2019, 01:52:05 PM »
hello! Been a lurker on the Forums for sometime now, but am such a running nut thought I'd finally join when I saw this thread.

Been running off and on for sometime now, albeit only in 2015 did I start running more consistently. My goal for 2019 is 2000 miles by 12/31/19!

i did 2,020 miles in 2018. i wasn't really going for a lot of volume but ended up with a lot.  former triathlete turned runner.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »

I don't actually warm up..... is that something I should be doing seriously? Honestly I look at some of the warmup routines some people do and think "I'm going to be tired before I even start the race!"

I guess I walked around a little bit at the start line listening to the announcements (it was a Parkrun 5k).

What would you suggest an appropriate warm up to be for a 5k for someone at my level? I go running 2-3 times a week for 6-8k, do a 5k Parkrun on Saturday, and a long run on Sunday (21+ km alternating fortnights, otherwise 10k). Training pace is around 6min / km.
[/quote]
always, always do a warm up. i raced a marathon in 2018 and ran at least a mile if not more before the race.  i ran a sub-2:50 marathon that day at 38 yrs old.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:29:07 PM by wannabe-stache »

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2019, 02:01:12 PM »
I'm with you on that...I see people running miles to get warmed up to start a race. If I did that I'd be done long before the finish line, lol

Oroadsm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2019, 01:07:06 PM »
I'm going to jump in on this also.  I started running seriously about ten years ago, did a number of marathons, a few 50Ks and 1 50 miler.  But I have been mostly hurt for the past 18 months.  Hoping to get back into enough running shape for a half marathon and perhaps a half ironman.  Right now I am swimming a lot, the only race I have on the calendar is a long open water swim in June.  I should be at about 15 miles this week and start slowly ramping up through the spring.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2019, 05:15:27 PM »
Had a good run tonight. Unfortunately I went again underdressed. Felt great in the sun but like 90% of my run was in the cool shade. I didn’t warm up til about 3 miles in.

Hit a 5 mile PR tonight at 42:57. Had a decent amount left in the tank too. That’s about 55 seconds faster than my previous best 5 mile time (haven’t done a ton of 5 mile runs and the longest run I’ve ever done was 6 miles on a treadmill).

Pretty good and reassuring since I’ve been in a bit of a slump lately. This dang blister on my foot continues to be annoying off and on.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2019, 01:10:43 AM »
I'm in: have been running for a few years, but unfortunately not at the moment due to a knee issue; hoping I'll be back out in a couple of weeks.

I'm 175cm and about 200lbs; goals for this year are to shed a little weight in advance of track season, knock two minutes off my PB for a local duathlon, and get a sub-42 10k. I'm in a running club, and transferred to a new role in work at the start of the year that lets me cycle to work, so once my knee is good I'll be getting plenty of cardio in. Diet is my real challenge....

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2019, 03:28:31 AM »
I'm in!  Thanks for the thread @use2betrix.

I'm a 51 year old female.   I'm mostly a trail runner, and I've done every distance from 5ks up to 50ks. I've been running since college and love it, but my mileage took a nosedive during the last three years.  First a cancer diagnosis (all well now), and then long hours at work took their toll.  Well, I'm FIREing next week (hooray!) so no more excuses.  In the past couple of weeks I've started to build back up to a good schedule.   I'm running 5 days a week, with one long run and one day of intervals.  On the off days I walk.  I've done this schedule over the years and it works well for me.  Sunday: Long run; Monday: off; Tuesday: regular run; Wednesday: regular run; Thursday: intervals; Friday: off; Saturday: regular run.

My goals for this year are:

--  Gain muscle and strength with some cross training/strength training.  I've gotten damned spindly and weak.  I'm 5'7" and about 120 pounds.  I'd like to add a few pounds, and more muscle if that's possible at my age.  I've been looking at local CrossFit programs and wondering if I could do them without injuring myself.  I wonder if they have a "Desk job to Crossfit" class I could get into, haha.

--  Do some kind of yoga.  I think the stretching and relaxation will do me good. 

--  Maintain the 5 day running schedule, lengthening distances

--  Enter at least one or two local races this year

--  Run with my kids as often as I can.  Love it.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2019, 05:02:57 AM »
@Trifele: I want to be a cool trail runner like you!  The biggest problem I have is my ankles.  I've had two nasty sprains in the past few years, and I'm petrified of turning an ankle on a root or a rock.  Got any good tips?  We got a Bosu ball for Christmas, and my husband and I switch on and off with our lifting sets and balancing on the Bosu....but is it enough?  I'm definitely on the cusp of becoming tired of road racing culture.  I love to run and I love to hike, but I love them for different reasons.  I feel like trail running is mostly me staring at the ground trying not to trip! = not very relaxing the way hiking is.

And I have mixed feelings about Crossfit.  I understand the culture can be really motivating for people, but I've also seen lots of my friends end up with nasty, chronic injuries to their backs and shoulders.  Form is so critical in weightlifting, and I don't know how you can focus on good form when the goal is to do AMRAP (as many reps as possible). 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2019, 05:27:07 AM »
@Trifele: I want to be a cool trail runner like you!  The biggest problem I have is my ankles.  I've had two nasty sprains in the past few years, and I'm petrified of turning an ankle on a root or a rock.  Got any good tips? 

Hmm.  I've had ankle injuries in the past playing other sports, but never from trail running.  I'm a slow runner (not very gifted aerobically), so maybe that helps.  I think if you started slow, walking the uphills, jogging the flats, and cautiously running the downhills you should be ok on average trail terrain.  Maybe avoid super rocky or technical running situations for a while?  Think of it kind of like 'fast hiking' haha.  You could also try a soft ankle brace like this one:  https://www.performancehealth.com/mueller-soft-ankle-brace-with-strap?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq92MwvWI4AIVFlcNCh2qmQELEAQYAiABEgJfxfD_BwE  I've run with one of those on before and it was fine.   Fit in the shoe and didn't cause any rubbing. 

On the trail after a while you get in this groove where your brain automatically scans the terrain using peripheral vision, and you don't even think or worry about it.  I love trail running.  I think it's really good for the body when every step is slightly different and uses different muscles.  And you can't beat the fresh air and 'nature bath' you get.  Delightful. 

Enjoy!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »
Cracked a nominal goal of 30 miles for the month of January......goal moving forward is to increase this a bit every month, even if it's little by little, so by the end of the year I'll have ran at least 500 miles =)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2019, 08:10:32 PM »
Cracked a nominal goal of 30 miles for the month of January......goal moving forward is to increase this a bit every month, even if it's little by little, so by the end of the year I'll have ran at least 500 miles =)

But then would you go 500 more.... just to be the man who ran a thousand miles to fall down.....

I'll just see myself out now.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2019, 01:33:10 AM »

But then would you go 500 more.... just to be the man who ran a thousand miles to fall down.....

I'll just see myself out now.

Well, I think you're funny. :D

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2019, 05:17:07 AM »
I'm in! For january I'm doing yoga every morning so I will start in february after this has become a habit and to not start everything at once. I already did yoga 3/4 mornings per week but want to keep doing it every day (or maybe 6 days will be better). I already bought two pairs of running shoes (both on sale, second pair were 10€ and had to buy them) so am good to go.

I also bike to work (36 km total) but that's on an e-bike so doesn't really do anything for my physical fitness. I also bike a lot as we don't have a car but I feel running is just so much better for the physical fitness thing.

I will do a  couch-5k program that I also did in 2013 but stopped due to an injury (not running related). I don't know how many times per week, maybe 2 per week to start with?

Chuck Ditallin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2019, 09:05:26 AM »
This is turning into a cool group, with lots of different challenges for different people!

To add to the trail-running thing, I try to do most of my winter running in the mud; every footstrike is a different footstrike, so no 'repetition' injuries. Yes, there's a risk of acute twists and sprains, but over the years, my stability has got better and I get fewer of them (I am so going to regret posting that...) See also falling over; I now just go down gracefully (steady...) and take the impact on my shoulder. An occasional fall is par for the course.

Mileage target for the month will almost be achieved; not quite going to make the 100, but should be 90-ish. Missed out on a couple of runs due to a dodgy curry on Friday...

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2019, 09:59:30 AM »
Oh neat!
Somehow I have just discovered this thread!
I'm a weightlifter who runs via RunBet (I won't run unless there's a chance I'll lose money, I've tried everything else, lol). 
I do back to back challenges and generally run about 15 miles a week or so at a niiiiiice snails pace.  I'm a 40 minute-ish 5k'er and my normal runs are over the 10 minute/mile pace (probably more like 12) but I'm ok with it as long as I do it.

I stay consistent.  I've been doing back to back RunBets that followed a running challenge in 2017/18, so I've been running at minimum 3-4x/wk for a year or two. 

My goal would be to remain consistent and to become eligible to do at least one RunBet at a faster pace this year.
Since I do Crossfit, I always sign up for the 17 minute pace cut-off bets so that WORST case scenario I could still limp at a 17mi/mile pace if I am sore or injured... I'd like to be able to sorely limp at a 16m/Mi pace instead, LOL.
So I'll be open to more of their challenges and have more opportunities to make money.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2019, 06:03:42 PM »
I’m at 26 workouts so far this month which makes sense cause I’m running 4 days a week and lifting 2. With cutting from 3 weight lifting days to two, my sessions are a bit longer. Sunday’s workout was 66 minutes, I burned 772 total calories, and my average pulse was 135 bpm. I had legs and biceps. My leg workouts are nothing short of soul crushing.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2019, 07:50:03 AM »
Woke up wide awake at 3 am this morning. Instead of aimlessly phone surfing I got up and did a 6 mile run. Felt amazing, I had a few miles more in me but I’m slowly building. At one point towards the end I had what could only be described as my first true runners high.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2019, 08:49:28 AM »
Yesssss!  The runner's high! 

I had a slight hiccup this week: my hamstring tightened up after a cold and hilly 10 miler on Sunday.  I ran easy on Monday, did slightly slower-than-goal intervals (1200 m) on Tuesday, and took yesterday off.  I'm about 90%, so I'll give my tempo run a solid go this evening.  It's always a struggle to decide when to push and when to back off.  I'm pretty good at deciding if it's pain or PAIN, but I still make mistakes.  I had plantar fasciitis in 2017 that forced me to reduce my volume significantly, but - fingers crossed - no major derails since.

With tonight's planned mileage, I will be at 199 miles for the month of January.  Do I run one more to make it a round 200?  Nope, probably not! 

I'm looking forward to some days in the 50s next week!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2019, 01:31:41 PM »
I'm in!  Thanks for the thread @use2betrix.

I'm a 51 year old female.   I'm mostly a trail runner, and I've done every distance from 5ks up to 50ks. I've been running since college and love it, but my mileage took a nosedive during the last three years.  First a cancer diagnosis (all well now), and then long hours at work took their toll.  Well, I'm FIREing next week (hooray!) so no more excuses.  In the past couple of weeks I've started to build back up to a good schedule.   I'm running 5 days a week, with one long run and one day of intervals.  On the off days I walk.  I've done this schedule over the years and it works well for me.  Sunday: Long run; Monday: off; Tuesday: regular run; Wednesday: regular run; Thursday: intervals; Friday: off; Saturday: regular run.

My goals for this year are:

--  Gain muscle and strength with some cross training/strength training.  I've gotten damned spindly and weak.  I'm 5'7" and about 120 pounds.  I'd like to add a few pounds, and more muscle if that's possible at my age.  I've been looking at local CrossFit programs and wondering if I could do them without injuring myself.  I wonder if they have a "Desk job to Crossfit" class I could get into, haha.

--  Do some kind of yoga.  I think the stretching and relaxation will do me good. 

--  Maintain the 5 day running schedule, lengthening distances

--  Enter at least one or two local races this year

--  Run with my kids as often as I can.  Love it.

I think you are badass.

I'm 48 and am also looking to work on muscle.  Last year I did specific hip/core workouts for runners at a local gym.  They really helped.  I'm going to try some other classes this year.

A few of my running friends are also really into Crossfit, and they have recommended it.  It looks interesting.  There are many Crossfit gyms in my town, so one of the things that I did is check out all the ones I could find (including the 3 that my various friends belong to), and look at their FB and web pages.  I'll admit it, I was looking for the old guys/ gals.

I figured that gyms with a higher percentage of 40+ people are probably better able to understand our particular needs when it comes to avoiding/ preventing injury.  Though still I'm going to try something else.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2019, 03:42:09 PM »
Welcome @Trifele and congratulations on hitting FIRE (this week, right?). I mentioned up-thread that my brother being an ultrarunner is a big part of how I started running last year. I'm still slow and a trail novice, but I'm working on it. Nice to "see" another trail runner here!

I had a running success this week. I was on business travel in DC and I went ahead and ran 5k even though it was 30 degrees (remember, Southern California native here). It ended up being a 13 mile day since I spent the rest of the day wandering the National Mall, visiting friends, etc. I'm really, really glad I got a run in on my trip, even though I couldn't feel my fingers for the first mile and a half. Major props to those of you who run with actual cold on a regular basis. :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2019, 05:14:19 PM »
Yesssss!  The runner's high! 

I had a slight hiccup this week: my hamstring tightened up after a cold and hilly 10 miler on Sunday.  I ran easy on Monday, did slightly slower-than-goal intervals (1200 m) on Tuesday, and took yesterday off.  I'm about 90%, so I'll give my tempo run a solid go this evening.  It's always a struggle to decide when to push and when to back off.  I'm pretty good at deciding if it's pain or PAIN, but I still make mistakes.  I had plantar fasciitis in 2017 that forced me to reduce my volume significantly, but - fingers crossed - no major derails since.

With tonight's planned mileage, I will be at 199 miles for the month of January.  Do I run one more to make it a round 200?  Nope, probably not! 

I'm looking forward to some days in the 50s next week!

199 miles is huge! I got to 147km for January which is my highest ever, but wow, can't imagine doubling it at this point and adding a bit more!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
Had a solid month in total. Changing from 3 weight lifting sessions and 3 cardio sessions a week to 2 and 4 respectively has been different but I’m enjoying it. My intensity has been where I’ve expected. Had a bad blister the first 3 weeks I worked through and now fighting a cold, but no biggie, not letting it slow me down. I’m also working 6 days a week (9-10 hr days) so working it in with that as well. I’ve been cutting back on my sleep a little because I don’t really need 8 hrs. As Arnold Schwarzenegger says, “just sleep faster.” I’m also down from 185.8 lbs to 180.8 lbs. My goal was to hover around 180-182.

January 2019 total miles/workouts:
64 miles
2 40 min (500 cal) spin sessions
9 weight lifting sessions
28 total workouts

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2019, 01:20:23 PM »
Had a solid month in total. Changing from 3 weight lifting sessions and 3 cardio sessions a week to 2 and 4 respectively has been different but I’m enjoying it. My intensity has been where I’ve expected. Had a bad blister the first 3 weeks I worked through and now fighting a cold, but no biggie, not letting it slow me down. I’m also working 6 days a week (9-10 hr days) so working it in with that as well. I’ve been cutting back on my sleep a little because I don’t really need 8 hrs. As Arnold Schwarzenegger says, “just sleep faster.” I’m also down from 185.8 lbs to 180.8 lbs. My goal was to hover around 180-182.

64 miles
28 total workouts

Bold bit I am curious about.... I find that even on a highish intensity I rarely get to 350 calories burned for a 45 minute spin session. What is your average wattage output to get to 500?

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2019, 03:01:01 PM »

64 miles
28 total workouts

Bold bit I am curious about.... I find that even on a highish intensity I rarely get to 350 calories burned for a 45 minute spin session. What is your average wattage output to get to 500?

Mine is based off my Apple Watch which factors my age, weight, gender, heart rate, etc. We use spin class non-electric bikes, not electrical ones.

My brother had the same watch and is about 25 lbs heavier. He consistently burns far more calories for less amounts of “work.”

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2019, 08:33:31 PM »
2 runs in for Feb, a 4 miler on the treadmill and 3 miles outside today.

Only got 30.4 miles in for January, and with a goal of 500+ for 2019, I'm already behind =)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2019, 08:02:20 AM »
PTF and hope that I can get running back into my routine.

About 8 years ago, I lost over 50 pounds thanks in large part to picking up running.  I did several races including seven half marathons.  One of those squeaked in under 2:00 mark, and I was down to about 54 for a 10K and 23:30 for 5K.

A couple years ago I had an ankle injury in a horse accident, and it's taken a long time to fully heal, so I've stuck to the under 5 mile distances.  In the meantime, my canine running buddy has aged, and wants to slow to a walk after about two miles.  He's having surgery this week, so it will actually be a good opportunity for me to run without him, and not feel guilty when he sees me leaving the house and not taking him.

I'd love to get back to the point of having a <50:00 5-mile run feel easy and fun.  Maybe doing 12-15 miles/weekly.

For cross training, I mostly use kettlebells and do a few other core strength and balance exercises.  My routine is more designed for my riding fitness, rather than for running.  I do find that riding helps with my cardio (I ride dressage, and it is work, especially when my instructor is yelling at me) so it's not such an uphill battle to get back to running.  Currently, on a good day I can jog a 5K with just a short break at my turnaround point, but I'm fairly slow.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2019, 05:25:53 PM »
Ran my first “unofficial” 5k today. Going to be the last time I can likely run outside for a week or so, and it was warm today, so I wanted to see where I was at. I didnt really plan it as I did a very heavy squat/leg/calf day Saturday, a hard 6 mile run yesterday, and was still feeling poor from my few margaritas last night.

I did 3.11 miles in 23:44. My last mile was actually my fastest at a pace of 7:33. Still have a ways to go to hit my 20 minute goal but considering I’ve only been running for 7 months and have never been a distance runner in my life, I’m pretty content. I’ve just started pushing past 15 mpw the last few weeks so I think I have a lot more quick progress as I get to 25ish mpw or so. I think in perfect conditions and proper rest/prep I could be closer to 23 right now.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »
I'll join in.

Mountain biking is my main love/hobby but I do also enjoy the simplicity and mind clearing aspect of running along with the aid to weight maintenance and overall fitness. Plus I can squeeze a 30 minute run around the rest of my day easier then gearing up to get a ride in and getting out to the trails and all.

I've had a goal/resolution of breaking 2 hours in the Half marathon for a few years now and I've come really close twice (just under 2:04 both times on two different courses). I'm thinking part of my problem is always choosing a Fall race so if I fail I don't have time to necessarily find and do another one that year.

So this year I've decided to try a Spring race, May 5th in fact 3 months from today.

Only manged two runs in January so gotta get cracking!!!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2019, 01:27:06 PM »
Ironman training January stats:

Swam: 20 miles
Biked: 327 miles
Ran: 79.5 miles

Not bad for going out of town and missing a few workouts.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2019, 11:56:24 PM »
I did a little bit of intervals yesterday -

400m, 800m, 1200m, 800m, 400m with short rest breaks in between.

All done at 4:15/km pace, except the last 400 which was done in 1:28 (3:40 pace)

I can be happy with that. Should help me get down towards a 22:30 5k in the near future.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »
I usually don't know how far I run, but February is off to a good start -- 7 hours of running so far this month. 

Thanks so much for the kind words @mm1970 and @FireHiker!  Much appreciated as I rebuild my fitness.  :)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2019, 10:43:59 AM »
Today was a major win, because I really did NOT want to get up and run. My oldest had a late rugby game last night, so I was tired and didn't want to get up, plus it was cold (for us). My youngest was up at 5:50 though so I sucked it up and did it. I'm trying to add in shorter/faster (for me) runs, so I did two miles today with 10:25 average pace. Usually I'm in the 11:30-12:30/mile range so that was progress!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2019, 11:33:18 AM »
Damn, some crazy high mileages here already!

You guys and gals are an inspiration.

I'm at three runs for February, 3, 4, 3 miles.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »
I usually don't know how far I run, but February is off to a good start -- 7 hours of running so far this month. 

Thanks so much for the kind words @mm1970 and @FireHiker!  Much appreciated as I rebuild my fitness.  :)
That's so awesome!

My rebuild is going SLOWLY. 
January: 17.4 miles
Feb: 2.5 miles

It's kinda cold here right now (for So Cal, it was 36F this morning.  I don't have winter clothing!)  Plus we've had a lot of rain.
I'm trying to work myself up to about 7 miles a week (2x a week, 3 miles + 4 miles).   Prob in March the long Sat run will go to 6 miles.  Still though my injured hamstring limits me to about 4 miles.  Half marathon training starts late March.

I walked 35.5 miles in Jan and I'm at 4+ miles for Feb, so...at least I'm moving!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!