Author Topic: Not buying clothes at all - 2020  (Read 17907 times)

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Not buying clothes at all - 2020
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2020, 05:21:00 PM »
Same, still no clothing purchases this year.

The “shoe goo” fix on the fabric of my hiking boots didn’t hold through a hiking vacation last month.  I might goo them again, since it does hold for a little while.  They are still wearable, but it means I’ll probably purchase boots next year.  Or go back to my previous pair, I guess.  Pretty disappointed in the Hoka brand, though.

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »
I didn’t buy anything in September 🙌🏽

aliene

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2020, 02:32:57 AM »
I've made it! It's been a year. I will have to say that Covid definitely made it easier.

I will buy 2 basic tops this month, as two are worn out. I also know that one of my birthday gifts will be comfy pyjama's (I've handpicked them myself) and I will buy new slippers this month.

After that I'll try to not buy anything untill 2021, and try to switch to second-hand clothing after that.

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2020, 03:32:49 PM »
I didn't buy anything in October yay

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2020, 04:52:35 PM »
Still no clothes purchases this year.

I finally “darned” my sports socks tonight (I don’t think I officially darned, just stitched).   We’ll see how long they hold up.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2020, 02:29:15 AM »
Still here, nothing bought this year.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2020, 05:07:22 AM »
Still here as well!

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2020, 01:05:15 AM »
Nothing bought in October or November.
And as I will be out in sticks camping for the next 2 weeks, I feel confident that I will keep it up till the end of the year.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2020, 04:20:06 PM »
Welp, I'm out.  My warm pajamas finally gave up the ghost, and they were on sale so I replaced them.  Nothing else planned for the foreseeable future. 

Good luck everyone!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2020, 03:18:13 AM »
Welp, I'm out.  My warm pajamas finally gave up the ghost, and they were on sale so I replaced them.  Nothing else planned for the foreseeable future. 

Good luck everyone!

Thanks! I would say that was well thought about.

So I bought two pairs of shoes, so I'm kinda 'out' but want to keep going with no 'clothes'..
One pair of ankle boots that are very comfortable but also nice enough for work and go with everything (€1). One pair of low shiny oxford like shoes with a rubber sole, so also comfortable, perfect for spring/summer for work (€ 7.50).

Last weekend my two pairs of good walking/trekking shoes (I had one pair low, one pair high) broke down ON THE SAME DAY. I put on one pair at home and the sole came loose. I put on the other pair, was walking outside and those soles came loose as well! Luckily I had some hair ties I put around the shoes so I could finish the walk. I thought this could be fixed by glueing the soles back but I did some research online and found out it's the layer in between the soles that deteriorates and can't be fixed as the cushioning is also gone, not only the glue (hydrolysis - https://blog.hanwag.de/nl/hydrolyse-der-zwischensohle/).   

I already thought, I can wait to buy shoes next year. That way I can also think about what kind of shoes I want.

I went to a second hand shop nearby for a different reason, to bring clothes I no longer wear, not to buy shoes. But then I noticed some hiking boots and before I know I was trying them on but they didn't fit. While I was sitting there I noticed the ankle boots and they were discounted to € 1, tried them on and they fit like a glove. I was walking around the shop for a few rounds thinking and questioning if I should buy them, the shop owner must've thought I was crazy to think about a 1€ purchase like this. ;) Then I decided that it would be crazy to not buy them.. And then I noticed the other shoes and of course they fit too. I've tried these kind of shoes in the past but the fit was never good.

So... walking boots out, other shoes in. In no way a replacement. ;)

I had to check my 'rules' on this forum for myself but it did say no shoes so I didn't stick to my own rules. I still want to finish the whole year without buying actual clothes. If I do I will still consider this a win (but will tell people I bought shoes ;))

I noticed my exception was underwear but i didn't have to buy that fortunately.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2020, 08:25:51 AM »
Thanks to 2020 I unintentionally have not purchased any clothing items this year.

I have been working from home or out in the field since the office is off limits so minimal wear and tear since most days I wear my PJ’s or shorts.

The only thing I could really use is a new pair of shoes, they are very worn out and hurt my feet but now that winter is here I will be wearing my boots so I should be good until next summer.

Really brings to life the additional cost of wardrobe for work as discussed in your money or your life.

Thanks for letting me join even if it was unintentional :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2020, 10:20:02 AM »
Nothing new purchased, but I did get a Snuggie off of Buy Nothing.

So far nothing bought here, either.

I'm going to keep it going next year! I've been reorganizing and going through all my stuff, and my goal should really be getting rid of things, not just don't buy more.

Same here. However, two pair of (office) shoes have now disintegrated. If I cannot fix them, I may need to replace them at some stage. I will try to postpone this to 2021, though.

Oh shoot, I forgot about shoes. I need new sneakers. Mentally I'm counting this as medical expenses, since I've been having some pain and may need orthopedics.

Everything else on my body can be secondhand garbage, but I gotta protect the feet!

^^ Never was able to get my feet tested, so I still don't know what shoes I need, so I still haven't bought anything. Sneakers aren't helpful in winter here, anyway. My hiking boots are fine.

I have gotten rid of a lot of clothes! I still have a small pile that I'll try to sell instead of donate.

Accrual

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2020, 08:17:56 PM »
I was participating in this challenge without the knowledge it even existed! CV19 has made it easier to not buy new work clothes.

Will likely have to buy new clothing next year when I finally decide to dip my toes into the dating market.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2020, 05:12:15 PM »

Thus far I bought NO clothing this year.

I almost bought a belt but didn't because I already have dozens.

2021 draws nigh.

By then I am sure I won't buy any clothing so I hereby  declare that I bought no clothing in 2020.

HOORAY for me!

How about you?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 05:15:29 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2020, 03:04:17 AM »
Congrats everyone who made it this far!

Besides the shoes, still no clothes purchased.

thinking about doing project 333 next year, to keep me from buying non essential (for me) items, but not sure yet (not counting outer wear/shoes/bags/jewelry as I want to use what I have, I already narrowed that down anyway). Has anyone read that book about capsule wardrobes?

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2020, 08:11:21 AM »
thinking about doing project 333 next year, to keep me from buying non essential (for me) items, but not sure yet (not counting outer wear/shoes/bags/jewelry as I want to use what I have, I already narrowed that down anyway). Has anyone read that book about capsule wardrobes?

I followed the 333 website with interest during the early days.  Instead of packing up everything but 33 items, I chose instead to divide my existing wardrobe into 4 season boxes ending up with 45-50 items in each. I packed away all but the season already in progress and spent a year trying to use only the items designated for each season during that season.  As I discovered and discarded clothes I didn’t really like, I found myself getting close to the intended 33.  By year two as favorite clothes began to wear out, I ‘borrowed’ favorite clothes across seasons and when I did purchase new clothes I was able to do so with intention.  My wardrobe is now curated enough that I only have two boxes: warm vs cold season and that’s working really well for me now.
That sounds like a great approach.  I have so many lovely things that don't fit me comfortably anymore and I am loath to part with them.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »

I followed the 333 website with interest during the early days.  Instead of packing up everything but 33 items, I chose instead to divide my existing wardrobe into 4 season boxes ending up with 45-50 items in each. I packed away all but the season already in progress and spent a year trying to use only the items designated for each season during that season.  As I discovered and discarded clothes I didn’t really like, I found myself getting close to the intended 33.  By year two as favorite clothes began to wear out, I ‘borrowed’ favorite clothes across seasons and when I did purchase new clothes I was able to do so with intention.  My wardrobe is now curated enough that I only have two boxes: warm vs cold season and that’s working really well for me now.
That sounds like a great approach.  I have so many lovely things that don't fit me comfortably anymore and I am loath to part with them.

I found it much easier to let go of lovely-things-that-didn’t-fit-me-quite-right when they were part of my limited seasonal options.  Before creating seasonal boxes I could ignore them, but when I touched them every day while looking for something to wear, I couldn’t.  And when I finally put them on to try and use them, (or worse yet, spent a day tugging at them while wearing them out of the house) it became super clear it was time to let them go.
The only drawback to this plan is that my DD is quickly growing into my clothing.  She now fits all my prekids clothing.  She is two inches taller than me but still has skinny woman arms! 

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2020, 09:04:55 PM »
I lasted this far, and expect to make it to January 1 - and beyond. I may need to get a new pair of house slippers sometime during 2021 - the old ones got more use than normal in 2020 because of working from home, and are getting quite shabby.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: December 20, 2020, 04:40:41 AM »
ok, calling it a successful "no clothes buying" year.
Wasn't too difficult due to a lot of WFH.
We are in Tier4 lockdown category now, so no temptation for any shopping now, really (shops are closed for non-essentials).

I must admit having an eye out for some cute flannel pyjamas, but I will hold out till Jan on this.
So, done for this year, books pretty much closed.

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2020, 11:21:44 AM »
I wasn't so successful in November. I bought a few things that I wanted, especially during Black Friday. I'm trying to get back to no clothes etc shopping once again and will make the same commitment for 2021. While I do end up buying a few things here in there some months, I am still proud of myself for managing to not buy anything most months, which is a massive improvement from my previous spending habits. I don't want to fall too far off the wagon, so I want to stick to this more minimal shopping habit going forward.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2020, 01:31:16 AM »

I found it much easier to let go of lovely-things-that-didn’t-fit-me-quite-right when they were part of my limited seasonal options.  Before creating seasonal boxes I could ignore them, but when I touched them every day while looking for something to wear, I couldn’t.  And when I finally put them on to try and use them, (or worse yet, spent a day tugging at them while wearing them out of the house) it became super clear it was time to let them go.

Thanks for the insight and tips!

I kinda did this this year (and last year, but with buying and this year without buying) as well. I switched the clothes in my closet when the weather started to change. Luckily I can use my boyfriends closet as well as he barely has anything in it. So I put things in drawers and let them hang in my bf closet and in my (part of the) closet I only have things that actually work for that weather/season. I got rid of things this way as well as I knew IF I was to wear them I had to wear them that season.

I want to keep doing this. I also want to stop buying too much. 'Problem' is I like browsing charity/thrift shops and secondhand online. I want to keep doing this but only add what I want to wear a lot and need. So maybe a restriction on number of items would be good but I'm not sure yet. Maybe I should try it.

Funny thing is I got to 33 items when I counted them this season (not counting shoes, accessories, bags, basics like camisoles). So it's not thát bad I guess..

And I can only keep a handful of 'just in case' and 'but I like it but never gravitate towards it' items. More has to go. I would like a wardrobe  with items where (at least) 80% gets worn A LOT/all the time and only 20% is extra's.

Last days! Going to make it. ;)

Things I actually need:
- Walking/hiking boots
- Summer trousers
- Some good bras (sigh) and some basic camisoles

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2020, 04:05:50 PM »
Made it!  No clothes bought in 2020!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2020, 08:01:32 PM »
Made it no clothing purchases for me in 2020.

My fuzzy pants (PJ’s) are about shot since I have been wearing them almost all day,  everyday, everywhere since March.

Maybe I will splurge in 2021 and buy a 2nd pair :)

Green_Tea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2021, 04:28:28 AM »

My fuzzy pants (PJ’s) are about shot since I have been wearing them almost all day,  everyday, everywhere since March.

Congrats on the success!

About the PJs: I don't know where you live but where I live, I'd return them for bad quality if the're broken after only 8 months of use, even if constant. Only because we've become used to bad quality do we think it's normal. We have a 2 year guarantee and I have used it before because I think it's good to bring to the companies attention that some people do not put up with planned obsolescence.

Good success for the new year everyone! :)

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2021, 07:12:49 AM »

Congrats on the success!

About the PJs: I don't know where you live but where I live, I'd return them for bad quality if the're broken after only 8 months of use, even if constant. Only because we've become used to bad quality do we think it's normal. We have a 2 year guarantee and I have used it before because I think it's good to bring to the companies attention that some people do not put up with planned obsolescence.

Good success for the new year everyone! :)
I’ve had them for probably 10+ years of normal use so they have done well. This year was probably equal to 100 years of expected normal use for this item and I will be sad when they area dead.

I have been looking for another pair for about 5 years that is as thick and comfortable unfortunately everything we have found is super thin fleece now days.

Green_Tea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2021, 08:09:12 AM »
oh, I see, yeah, that seems reasonable- hope you'll find a pair you will like as much! :-)

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2021, 01:43:57 AM »
Congratz everyone who made it this year!

I did buy 2 pairs of shoes (real cheap) but still consider it a win as clothing was my real problem and shoes not so much.

Mindfully into the new year!

I made a budget for myself of 50 euros per month and anything I sell will also be put in the budget. That will give me room to buy things but not too much.

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2021, 07:08:01 AM »
I almost completed this challenge, but there was an insane offer for winter shoes (-50%) and all my winter shoes had holes in them and were unwearable.
I bought 3 shoes, spending a total of $60 :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!