Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189744 times)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #1000 on: July 25, 2018, 10:56:59 AM »
My mom gives me a Visa gift card every year for Christmas. I have NO IDEA how to keep track of the balances except by putting a sticker on the card and writing the new balance in. Ugh.

How do you think your gift card status differs now from when you started the year?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1001 on: July 25, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
I lost a July star. I bought some nail polish.  But I am really happy with my purchase.  So I'm OK with it.
6/7 so far is decent.

You are ahead of me!

What color did you get?

That makes it sound like I only got one...

I bought from ILNP.com and got: Deep End (blue jelly with red shimmer shift), Rush Hour (amazing holographic berry jelly), Someday (bright green jelly with silver holo sparkle), Lights Out (deep burgundy jelly with shift to green and gold shimmer), Misbehaving (pink jelly with sparkly silver holo glitter), Surfboard (gorgeous turqouise jelly with holo glitter), and Interstellar (teal jelly, with navy/purple shift and holo glitter).

Surfboard, Interstellar, and Someday are real standouts! 

I had a 25% off code, which is the only time I buy from them- with free shipping, a pretty reasonable $7.15 a polish.

*for non-nail polish people "holo" means sparkle that reflects a rainbow rather than plain single color glitter.  And jelly is a type of polish that is more sheer and layers for a really cool look, as opposed to 'creme' polishes generally sold in drug stores.

Not to encourage a gazingus pin but those are flipping gorgeous.  Since I am a person with chronically weak flaky nails*, I have *not* kept up with nail polish tech, so do these require gel setting or any other technology to work? and 2) the holo colours - does this involve any sort of hard glitter/sparkle objects that will shred my nails when I try to remove the colour?

Because I am Hearts For Eyes re Interstellar, Lights Out and Harbour Island but there is no point in buying awesome nail polish if it will just peel off in 1 big sheet or result in ripped nails when I remove it.

*I have tried everything including the nail strengthener used by guitarists. I miss you Once Removed original formula, if I had known you would be discontinued I would have bought you in bulk

These are not gel polishes, so they just dry normally.

The holo removes with regular polish remover, no chunky glitter. 

Polish can actually strengthen flaky nails, as long as you don't use remover very often (that's what dries them out; the remover) because it protects them as a barrier layer.  Depending on how oily your nails are, something like UNT peel off base coat can eliminate the need to use nail polish remover. It's helped me a lot, but I have one oily nail that the nail polish just pops off on its own after a day or so...the rest of the nails stay in place for a week.  But it is AMAZING if you need to wear chunky glitter for an event.

I use jojoba oil daily as a cuticle oil. I have a little pen that I refill so it's cheaper that way. Your nails might be fight that. Have you seen a dermatologist to make sure there isn't an underlying deficiency?

There is a facebook group for ILNP- you're in the UK right? Do you want me to find out if there is a retailer there to avoid international shipping?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1002 on: July 25, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »
My mom gives me a Visa gift card every year for Christmas. I have NO IDEA how to keep track of the balances except by putting a sticker on the card and writing the new balance in. Ugh.

How do you think your gift card status differs now from when you started the year?

I'm thinking of just buying something for more than $50 & using it all at once. Or, maybe a gift card for Amazon at the grocery store, and then immediately applying it to my Amazon account. I started off the year with $1276, so down a bit.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1003 on: July 25, 2018, 05:29:24 PM »
Red Panda - I think all my nails are oily. Nail polish just comes off in one day, generally taking the top layer of nail with it.
BUT good to know about the ILNP, my Nail Polish friend also rec'd their metallics and told me to wave goodbye to my bank balance.
I'm in Oz so I'll check out the local suppliers.
/end NP digressions

I get a star for this month! My bag gazingus pin reared up again so I've been having to play whack-a-mole but since I DIDN'T buy any this month, stars for *meeeeeeeeee*

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1004 on: July 28, 2018, 07:35:14 AM »
I think I will also earn a star this month, although it isn't August yet.   But I don't see any major tempting situation in the near future.  I am basically avoiding temptation by shopping in my stash instead.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1005 on: July 28, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »
I'll make it to August, and honestly I have broken the habit of buying tools because I "may need it in the future". August will require tool purchases, because we will be starting a to clean and renovate our rental that is 4000 kms from my tool shed.  Most tools I will need will not be economic to ship, so minimal purchases and some hiring will be needed.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1006 on: July 31, 2018, 08:44:05 AM »
Permission to make the stars metaphorical? Because I can’t add them on my phone, I never get around to it :/

But we should be doing this for the intrinsic rewards, right? ;)

Anyways. I’ve been staying strong with no clothes buying. 7 months! Woot! I feel like my brain has rewired. I don’t shop for clothes anymore! I don’t have the urge to, either! It’s really neat. It’s also helped me to appreciate the clothes I already own. Now, I did attend a clothing swap and I also found a huge box of clothes I packed away pre-pregnancy. That has certainly helped. But I’ve stopped thinking about NEW clothes. They’re not on my radar anymore. I did, however, buy some new socks and underwear. I decided they’re not clothes and the need was real! I got tired of wearing stuff that has holes or was too big.

Jewellery. Now this is a process for me. I have a few problems in this area: the “good deal”, the love of variety, and a touch of an addiction. I’ve been letting myself buy whatever jewellery I want and it has made the addiction more apparent. And I’ve been asking myself, How much is enough? Do I want ten more? Can I enjoy what I have if I keep buying more? I also plan on opening an Etsy store to sell my good deals that I never wear. I consider this a good project, a positive thing for me to practice and learn about. Cheaper than an MBA!

Anyways I’m not going cold turkey on jewellery just yet,  but I’m working up to it and doing clothing first is a good practice for me. I feel like I could probably add one healthy habit per year, and ten years from now I’d be a very awesome person ;)

You guys have been doing great! Keep updating and inspiring me! It’s very motivating to hear about your progress.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1007 on: August 01, 2018, 04:51:09 AM »
Whew, made it through July.  I did buy yarn, but for a project that needed yarn that was not in my stash (nothing remotely close to what I needed was in my stash).  So that was a legitimate purchase.  I did pet fibre, but resisted buying.  I have been wanting to try true worsted spinning, but have not bought the required fibre.  When more of the stash has been used (like next January), maybe.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1008 on: August 02, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »
Jewellery. Now this is a process for me. I have a few problems in this area: the “good deal”, the love of variety, and a touch of an addiction. I’ve been letting myself buy whatever jewellery I want and it has made the addiction more apparent. And I’ve been asking myself, How much is enough? Do I want ten more? Can I enjoy what I have if I keep buying more? I also plan on opening an Etsy store to sell my good deals that I never wear. I consider this a good project, a positive thing for me to practice and learn about. Cheaper than an MBA!

Sounds like you are asking the right questions of yourself.

The Etsy store sounds like a great idea.  Do you think you'll be able to recoup what you spent on the jewelry?

Is there a possibility that you will end up buying MORE using the store as an excuse?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1009 on: August 03, 2018, 09:31:16 PM »

Sounds like you are asking the right questions of yourself.

The Etsy store sounds like a great idea.  Do you think you'll be able to recoup what you spent on the jewelry?

Is there a possibility that you will end up buying MORE using the store as an excuse?

I'm very confident I can sell for more than what I paid.

I'm not as confident that I'm willing to part with these items ;)

Initially it was an excuse to buy more, but then I had some of the above questions/realizations. I'm attempting to re-start my jewellery ban. I can do it, I just have to want to. :/

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1010 on: August 12, 2018, 10:22:22 AM »
Hi guys - quick check-in to report my loss of July star while on vacation.  I debated whether I really “deserved” to lose it; we were abroad and I legitimately needed to buy tea to get me through the trip.  But I didn’t need that tea:  we were in a town with a great tea shop I was looking forward to shopping in, but they were closed when we got there, so DH picked me up regular box tea at the grocery store.  Then I went back the next day and bought some of the good stuff anyway - and I bought three (because it was a “deal” - it’s like 3 for 30e, vs 12e each).  I don’t regret it - I brought the rest home, it’s delicious, and I’d do the same thing again - but now I am back to two rows deep on my shelf, and I can’t in all fairness claim a star with such an excessive unnecessary purchase.

Also reporting in advance my forfeit of an August star.  We are going to SF, and DH has told me I must go tea-shopping in Chinatown.  I’ve never been and likely won’t be there again any time soon, so I plan to do that.  Again, no guilt whatsoever, but I can’t in good conscience claim a star.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1011 on: August 12, 2018, 10:25:59 AM »
Checking in as well. No new gift cards acquired, and here's the status of using up what we have:

We have a total of $915 in gift cards currently, broken out as follows:
-Safeway - $9.53
-Lowes - $300 (we have A LOT of home stuff going on right now)
-A local spa - $210 (this was a gift from work for $500 from two years ago, and I still have some leftover :-))
-A local restaurant/salad bar that is a kid favorite when I travel - $70
-A visa gift card for $50. I find these a PITA to use, as you have to know the exact balance? How does everyone else use these?
-Gap - $75. Perfect example of one I shouldn't have bought. Don't have a need for it, hope I don't succumb to some sort of impulse purchase to "just get rid of the gift card" - Used, but bought pants which I didn't really like + a gym bag. I use a repurposed Lululemon bag that someone gave me (not an actual gym bag, but the shopping bags they hand out) for my gym stuff, and it's looking pretty tragic. But, I liked nothing & will return it all. I did, however, find a pair of pants that I liked even better at Costco for $10, so I'll take that win!
-Target - $39. Had a $100 reward from a hotel stay from work - Used for school supplies
-Starbucks - $134. Recently earned $60 in Starbucks gift cards through another promo. I save Starbucks for travel. When it's work travel, I get reimbursed. When it's personal travel, I do count it as our travel budget. I'm doing a relay in August, and typically buy breakfast at least one day for six people. - Now $120. Saved me from a meal out.
-Subway - $2. Used the rest on our road trip
-Local bowling alley - $25. These are kind of a hassle to use, as you can only use one per trip. We received these for free for booking a birthday party. No out of pocket cost. But, using them will be pricey, so may just toss them.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1012 on: August 21, 2018, 10:48:00 AM »
Update report:  well, I think I retroactively undid all my stars for the year.  ;-)  Several hours in Chinatown resulted in @$200 in delicious tea purchases.

The funny thing is, I don't feel bad about it -- I planned it, I took advantage of being somewhere I may never be again, and I am now looking forward to drinking them all.  I think the gazingus pin I was focused on was the emotional side -- the "ooh, look" impulse buy, the huge pile of stuff I didn't like but never drank, the not wanting to drink up the "good" stuff, etc.  And I kinda feel like I've already "won" that challenge.

But it's really the next couple of months that will tell -- if I continue to methodically drink and enjoy, then I'm good; but if I start relegating this new stuff to the "eh, not so good after all" pile, or reverting to picking stuff up just because I see it, then I have a lot more work to do.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1013 on: August 21, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »
Sounds like it's test time, @Laura33! May it go well. \o/

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #1014 on: August 21, 2018, 04:03:54 PM »
Back-to-school time - even after being out of school for awhile now, it makes me want to stock up on school supplies.  Usually fun pens.  Staying strong with the challenge, though.  Maybe I can dig around in my stash at home and find a few to bring to work (where I do 99% of my pen using) to have some novelty :)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1015 on: August 21, 2018, 10:21:20 PM »
I have had to buy some tools.  A ladder, a wheel barrow, two shovels, some painting equipment.  All necessary, and all against what I set out to do.  But, I haven't bought anything that was a) not essential and b) that I could borrow.

I feel that I have improved my purchasing thought processes for tools, and they are no longer a gazingus pin for me. 

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1016 on: August 22, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
It sounds like several of us are trying to graduate :)

My mom gave me money for my birthday.  I spent about 25% of it on books the other day, to fill out a series that I had started reading.  I did not actually order the 10 books waiting in my cart at Amazon - I managed to quell the impulse to hit the final button the day I went a little nuts and filled the cart.  I will buy several of those this month, for various reasons that make sense to me, but I'm waiting a few more days to make sure I only purchase the ones I have a valid-to-me reason to buy (that isn't "because BOOKS").

To me, that sounds like a win :)

While on the way to the bookstore I passed the Yankee candle store.  I allowed myself to look in the window at the beautiful candles and think about the sale that was going on...and then I walked away.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1017 on: August 22, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »
I have had to buy some tools.  A ladder, a wheel barrow, two shovels, some painting equipment.  All necessary, and all against what I set out to do.  But, I haven't bought anything that was a) not essential and b) that I could borrow.

I feel that I have improved my purchasing thought processes for tools, and they are no longer a gazingus pin for me.

Tools are tools.  I just bought a new garden spade and a new garden fork - because I broke the ones I had.  Years of use, they owed me nothing.  I shopped carefully for them.

Tools - I am thinking about buying storage bobbins for yarn, there are lots of good reasons why.  But I am researching them, not just buying the first ones I see online.  Same for wool combs, I am starting to process fibres that could be combed, but buying a pair is not urgent.  If I see a pair I like at a good price . . . .

I am actually enjoying spinning down the stash, the urge to buy more fibre is waning.  I intend to still avoid temptation.   ;-)

I'm off to play - oops, ply.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1018 on: August 22, 2018, 05:47:18 PM »
Currently doing the writing down spending impulses in a wee notebook with the date & the price. Amazing how the spending urge can be appeased by this and a week later I can look back and go "huh, I really thought *that* would solve Problem X, weird"

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1019 on: August 23, 2018, 09:00:15 PM »
I had a complete breakdown in July and got all sorts of random clutter at the craft store. I did have a good purpose to enter the store (making goodie bags for birthday parties for parentless teens in shelters) but ended up getting and spending way more than necessary. For instance I didn't need all the Fourth of July candles, fabric, and other kitsch. :~(

I don't believe I've purchased any crafts in August, but I'm still digging myself out from lax financial habits and a lot of clutter than accumulated this year. Returned from vacation and realized that I need to spend some time cracking the whip in all directions... I gained more weight, I don't know how much money I've spent this summer (usually I have a good idea), and my house is full of junk. Ugh.

RetiredAt63, it's wonderful that you are working through your fiber stash!  I need to recognize that I just don't have the time to actually do the crafts that I used to do.  Or maybe I need to figure out a way to make the time.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1020 on: August 24, 2018, 06:38:20 AM »
I had a complete breakdown in July and got all sorts of random clutter at the craft store. I did have a good purpose to enter the store (making goodie bags for birthday parties for parentless teens in shelters) but ended up getting and spending way more than necessary. For instance I didn't need all the Fourth of July candles, fabric, and other kitsch. :~(

I don't believe I've purchased any crafts in August, but I'm still digging myself out from lax financial habits and a lot of clutter than accumulated this year. Returned from vacation and realized that I need to spend some time cracking the whip in all directions... I gained more weight, I don't know how much money I've spent this summer (usually I have a good idea), and my house is full of junk. Ugh.

RetiredAt63, it's wonderful that you are working through your fiber stash!  I need to recognize that I just don't have the time to actually do the crafts that I used to do.  Or maybe I need to figure out a way to make the time.

Oh, the temptation of all the goodies when you are in the store.  My willpower isn't that great either, I have avoided any group activities where vendors are a major part of the event.  I can be strong if the squooshy stuff is there in small quantities, but I am not sure I could resist major wool fumes.   ;-)

Even in retirement I am super busy, the stash is going down veeerrrryyyy slowly.  I figure it is good for a few years.   ;-)

I know a lot more about the different fibres (and the differences between different sheep breeds when it comes to their fleeces) now than I did when I bought some of the stash.  I may well get to the point where I acknowledge that there is nothing in the stash that I want to spin, ever.  Then it will get donated. Definitely not there yet!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1021 on: August 29, 2018, 07:07:41 AM »
I'm finding people are bringing fleece to various casual get-togethers.  And yarn. Gorgeous silk yarn in a perfect colour.  Lovely merino.  Lovely Shetland.  Interesting Finnish sheep wool.  I'm getting lots of practice in resisting temptation.

I may have to become a hermit.    ;-) 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1022 on: August 29, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »
A few years ago I had a ton of yarn. Even though I knit a 100 scarves a year for the homeless I decided not to buy anymore until my stash got low.  I just stay away from yarn if I go into a store.  I am now down to about 15 left.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1023 on: August 29, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
I almost caved and bought a coat last night, but I eventually realized I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER COAT. So I resisted and felt better for it.

8 months and no clothing purchases (except 1 bridesmaid dress). It's really killing the clothes-shopping habit.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1024 on: August 29, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »
Good job @lifejoy! That's definitely progress. :D

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1025 on: August 29, 2018, 11:10:08 AM »
Yes, good job everyone!

I had a moment of regret this morning that I didn't sign up for a workshop led by a very creative artist and now it's sold out.
But a few moments later, I remembered why I am doing this. There will always be more things, more opportunities, there is so much and I can't do it all (as much as I try).

Life has been more simple, beautiful and peaceful without shopping and without extra activities filling spare time.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1026 on: August 29, 2018, 06:40:49 PM »
Yes, good job everyone!

I had a moment of regret this morning that I didn't sign up for a workshop led by a very creative artist and now it's sold out.
But a few moments later, I remembered why I am doing this. There will always be more things, more opportunities, there is so much and I can't do it all (as much as I try).

Life has been more simple, beautiful and peaceful without shopping and without extra activities filling spare time.

The beauty of "no".

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1027 on: August 30, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »
I've been absent from this thread for a while, but I've mostly stayed on the wagon. Does paying $1 at a yard sale for a new in package pair of red and black stripey tights count? Yes, it probably does, haha. But it could've been worse!

No tea, though. That's easy because it is summer. I still have some from last winter/spring. When it gets cold out, I'm going to struggle. Especially since I've decided to stop keeping booze in the house so that it is less easy to drink it (calories, not addiction issues).

I realized in writing this that my tea and socks/tights addictions are both in response to it being cold out, thus neither is an issue in summer. They are coping mechanisms for shitty weather. I need to find new coping mechanisms for shitty weather but I've no idea what those would be, as I've banned booze, sugar and wheat from the house and I can't drink coffee after noon or else I don't sleep. I guess I could get decaf, but any type of coffee makes me pee constantly for hours so that's not a good choice for night regardless.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1028 on: August 30, 2018, 12:40:49 PM »
Do you have particular body parts that get cold? Those little hot packs for hands/feet could go a long way, especially in the office or while travelling.

Also: under-the-desk space heaters in the office (if possible) or a butt-warming pad in your chair. Big fat blankets at home to curl up in. A steamer or hot chocolate made with only milk/cocoa powder plus a non-sugary flavoring like cinnamon. Big floppy hats. Knit handwarmers. Huge scarves.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1029 on: August 30, 2018, 02:13:25 PM »
Ah, sorry, wasn't clear. My gazingus pins aren't for physical comfort, really, though that is a side effect, and they're not things I find enjoyable in the heat. It's more that they are mood-lifters when I'm bloody miserable that it's snowing out and I can't go outside without pain. It's retail therapy because I'm depressed and angry about the weather. It's thinking, "it hurts to be outside but hey, at least I have these awesome thigh-high socks with skulls all over them!" Ideally I would live somewhere sunny and warm year-round as I am just not made for this climate, but I haven't been able to make that happen.

The parts of my body that get the coldest are hands and face - and I can't tolerate a scarf wrapped around my face, I feel like I am suffocating.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1030 on: August 30, 2018, 02:49:40 PM »
Ah, sorry, wasn't clear. My gazingus pins aren't for physical comfort, really, though that is a side effect, and they're not things I find enjoyable in the heat. It's more that they are mood-lifters when I'm bloody miserable that it's snowing out and I can't go outside without pain. It's retail therapy because I'm depressed and angry about the weather. It's thinking, "it hurts to be outside but hey, at least I have these awesome thigh-high socks with skulls all over them!" Ideally I would live somewhere sunny and warm year-round as I am just not made for this climate, but I haven't been able to make that happen.

The parts of my body that get the coldest are hands and face - and I can't tolerate a scarf wrapped around my face, I feel like I am suffocating.

I feel you on that. I think I may just tie physical comfort very highly to mood-lifting -- I grew up in the northeast and winter made me so miserable, but a big fat scarf made me warmer and therefore soooo much happier, so I closely equate comfort + mood in the winter. I do know the joys of a brightly colored peacoat versus a black one, though (such a big difference, to feel like a robin instead of being another person in the same dreary black-grey palate).

What other mood lifters do you have when it's so cold and crappy? I imagine kitten snuggles will get you a long way in the upcoming months, but are there other lifters that will work outside of retail therapy? Stuff like painting your toenails, breaking into some of your wonderful preserved summer produce?

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1031 on: August 31, 2018, 08:04:56 AM »

I feel you on that. I think I may just tie physical comfort very highly to mood-lifting -- I grew up in the northeast and winter made me so miserable, but a big fat scarf made me warmer and therefore soooo much happier, so I closely equate comfort + mood in the winter. I do know the joys of a brightly colored peacoat versus a black one, though (such a big difference, to feel like a robin instead of being another person in the same dreary black-grey palate).

Ha, yeah, that doesn't work for me. I never really get warm no matter how many layers I am in, and how high quality my winter gear is. I am always, always cold if the temp's under 70. And I'm always in black - though I do have a really pretty purple and blue plushy scarf that I love. (Free with a Bloomingdale's gift card that my ex-husband passed to me because he wasn't going to use it. It was $75! Huh, I just realized that I got divorced in 2004 so the scarf is older than that!)

What other mood lifters do you have when it's so cold and crappy? I imagine kitten snuggles will get you a long way in the upcoming months, but are there other lifters that will work outside of retail therapy? Stuff like painting your toenails, breaking into some of your wonderful preserved summer produce?

Mostly stuff I can't have because dieting. Food, booze, baking, hot chocolate. I have to really limit my consumption of my canned produce because I'm supposed to be off sugar, and all jam and preserved fruit has sweetener in it. I've been using more honey and coconut sugar in my jams, to at least get off refined sugar, and use low-sweetener recipes whenever I can find them - but to your body, that's still sugar. So I limit myself to tiny portions.  The tomatoes don't have any sugar in them, though! And those are wonderful in the middle of winter. My tomato crop this year has been small. I did a batch of salsa and soon can probably do a small batch of crushed tomatoes. That might be it, though? Depending on when frost hits? :(

I need to check with my landlord, but supposedly the issue where us taking a bath = water pouring into the downstairs apartment through the ceiling has been fixed. So hot baths might be on the table again this winter!

I was just wondering this morning, looking at my totally grody toenails, how I'm going to give myself pedicures with two kittens in the house who are very very in love with my feet..... ;) Agree that the kittens will be good stress relief/mood lifters. I'm totally exhausted right now but seeing those little kitties running around with such joy and abandon makes me very happy. <3

Speaking of gazingus pins, I probably need to add one. Halloween decorations. This is a problem for me, mostly because my tastes are such that I keep Halloween decorations around all year long. Every year I say I'm going to put savings aside for October so I can spend without guilt. Every year it doesn't happen and I go hog wild. I'd say I am not allowed to buy ANY this year, but I don't think I can hold to that. Maybe I can set a budget?

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1032 on: August 31, 2018, 10:53:22 AM »
I'm gonna go ahead and call it - no books purchased in August, so one metaphorical star deserved!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1033 on: September 01, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
Well, I was fine for August, another metaphorical star.  September is a fail already, and it is only September 1.  I went to a flower thing that had other vendors and came home with 200gms of cria (baby alpaca, first shearing, lovely soft fine stuff) silk blend.  Gorgeous, and I have almost no cria, and no cria/silk.  But still, I fell like a rock (thud).

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1034 on: September 01, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »
I went to Joanns, looked at their Halloween stuff, and didn't buy anything! I saw 3 things that I really wanted, but so far am resisting.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1035 on: September 01, 2018, 07:35:11 PM »
No books bought in August. Star for me!

September has already had a purchase for book club. Luckily, I found a 99 cent copy.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1036 on: September 03, 2018, 06:33:53 AM »
I do not get a star for August. I bought stamping plates and the bundle had polish in it. Didn't even think about it. Oops.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1037 on: September 04, 2018, 07:15:10 AM »
Ooh, I get a star for July AND August!  I thought I bought my bathing suit in July, but it was June, and I haven't bought any clothes since.  I did buy shoe-goo and fix some older shoes, though! 

I'm hoping that I can borrow a few maternity leggings from a friend once I need them, and I still have two pairs of maternity jeans from my last pregnancy.  Hopefully that'll be enough to get me through March :)  I'm only at 12 weeks, but I've managed to lose 3 lbs since I found out I was pregnant solely because none of my normal snacks sound appetizing AT ALL.  Putting off moving into maternity clothes for a bit means I'll be able to wear all of my normal shirts for even longer, thank God.  Most of my maternity shirts are...less than flattering, let's say.

Harper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1038 on: September 05, 2018, 06:09:56 PM »
Sorry...I don't think I've checked in at all this year.

☆Harper - workout videos and no more than one workout video subscription site

But....I have spent a total of $10 on 10 DVDs.  This is huge for me.  I let my one video subscription go in May but will probably re-join once it gets cooler.

Hope y'all have been doing well too.  Lots of pages to catch up on!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1039 on: September 05, 2018, 07:14:39 PM »

Hot water with lemon? And maybe fancy up the hot baths? With Epsom salts and good music? Or a book?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:22:32 PM by lifejoy »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1040 on: September 05, 2018, 07:25:07 PM »
I’m doing well with clothes. However I have never bought so much jewellery in my life!

So either: new motherhood, or trying to not buy any jewellery at all, or the fact that all of my willpower is diverted to clothing and I have none left for jewellery, or a combo of all of the above...

Who knows. Next year I may attempt a new personal challenge. I’m thinking: zero online shopping. This would cut out 90% of my shopping!

I think of you all often :) Keep up the good work!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1041 on: September 16, 2018, 05:26:26 PM »
Well I already failed September. Not sure if this is another fail.

I bought a loom.   Second hand.  Sad story, weaver died, wife is moving to assisted living,  house is being sold, all the craft things have to go.  That isn't the fail.

With it came masses and masses of yarn for weaving, free (well, part of the sale).    Since I have very few weaving supplies, this was good.  I did not take any of the offered knitting yarn.  So my yarn stash increased, but for the new loom, not for knitting.  I am calling it neutral, not a win, not a fail.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1042 on: September 17, 2018, 09:54:13 AM »

I bought a loom.   Second hand.  Sad story, weaver died, wife is moving to assisted living,  house is being sold, all the craft things have to go.  That isn't the fail.

With it came masses and masses of yarn for weaving, free (well, part of the sale).    Since I have very few weaving supplies, this was good.  I did not take any of the offered knitting yarn.  So my yarn stash increased, but for the new loom, not for knitting.  I am calling it neutral, not a win, not a fail.

The crafter in me wants to know a LOT more about your loom. ;)

The Mustachian + gazingus-pin-susceptible parts of me sympathize -- getting a loom for a reasonable price is a real deal, but also takes a lot of space + materials for successful use.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1043 on: September 17, 2018, 10:33:01 PM »
I have bought a couple of tools in September.  It was inevitable since we are renovating a house.  But - I have been able to borrow tools that I am not going to use much, and only buy the reciprocating saw I will use many times over the next few months.

I must say, going to the hardware and buying tools was a lot easier, as I was more focussed on what I needed to do the job, rather than how I was in the past, when I would upgrade the tool to the biggest and best and buy other things at the same time.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1044 on: September 18, 2018, 07:15:26 AM »

The crafter in me wants to know a LOT more about your loom. ;)

The Mustachian + gazingus-pin-susceptible parts of me sympathize -- getting a loom for a reasonable price is a real deal, but also takes a lot of space + materials for successful use.

There is my journal for weaving adventures.  I got a Leclerc Artisat, not sure when it was made, but the raddle has a price sticker (I think $16.50?) and they are over $50 now.  So old, but in great shape, owner was an engineer and, I gather, very meticulous.

Detective time - all those cones of yarn - are they wool, cotton, something else?  Good thing I have a stainless steel sink for burn tests.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1045 on: September 18, 2018, 08:42:20 AM »
I rarely come into this section of the forum and ended up reading most of this thread while awake early but unable to get up.

I confess myself astonished at all the emotions I felt as I read it...foremost being anxiety.   I am not sure what triggered the anxiety exactly, but I find the psychology around money super-interesting and I often think I should figure out how to ditch my current boring job and train to be a 'money psychologist/counselor' though I'm not actually sure that would be any different than being regular psychologist/counselor LOL.

The question is, why does this thread cause me to feel anxiety and occasionally horror to read?  My first response was, "oh yeah, I have dealt with some GPs over the years" followed by "wait...why TF would anyone EVER spend any/that much money/energy/time on [fill in the blank]?" followed by  "no wonder people can't save" followed by "shit I wonder if my OWN GPs are still there but invisible?" followed by "I wonder if my current trend toward minimalism is causing me to react more than I would have 15 years ago?"

A few hours of reflection have me thinking I was triggered partly b/c I feel like I went through about 20 years of habitual consumerism from late high school to around my early 30s (including Gazingus Pin categories that roved around depending on my stage of life).  And then I gradually shifted to much more mindful spending, and in the past few years even further toward being interested in minimalism.  And, much like the horror with which I now regard my youthful and college eating habits, I also feel irritated when remembering all the stupid spending I did in my youth.

However, while my GPs are usually* not an issue anymore, my aspirations toward 1) minimalism of stuff; and 2) substituting actions/experiences for buying/accumulating stuff  have not gone as well.  And my irritation and anxiety about that must be triggered by reading this thread, which reminds me of how I behaved 20 years ago and also reminds me how little progress I've made getting rid of things that I own.

Ugh.

*"Usually" meaning that of the categories of things in my lifetime that qualified as GPs, most are now nearly inoperable or my spending on them is well in line with my values and/or is done on a 'need it' basis, though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to review them (again).

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1046 on: September 18, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »
I confess myself astonished at all the emotions I felt as I read it...foremost being anxiety.   I am not sure what triggered the anxiety exactly, but I find the psychology around money super-interesting and I often think I should figure out how to ditch my current boring job and train to be a 'money psychologist/counselor' though I'm not actually sure that would be any different than being regular psychologist/counselor LOL.

YES. I think about this all the time, especially as I'm getting more invested (haha) in how our household spends our money and more importantly, why our priorities are what they are and whether or not our priorities are inline with our values today. Being a financial counselor would be fascinating and if it doesn't exist, it should. I could Google it but I don't want my hopes to be dashed so I'll choose to believe it's a real thing and mentally plan my career transition anyway.

However, while my GPs are usually* not an issue anymore, my aspirations toward 1) minimalism of stuff; and 2) substituting actions/experiences for buying/accumulating stuff  have not gone as well.  And my irritation and anxiety about that must be triggered by reading this thread, which reminds me of how I behaved 20 years ago and also reminds me how little progress I've made getting rid of things that I own.

This resonates so much. I have been dealing with similar feelings around other traits (physical Gazingus Pin manifestation?), specifically certain behaviors in those that are close to me. The ones that I'm most bothered by are the ones that I'm struggling with myself. So I hate that the way I actually "fix the problem" (the irritating behavior in DH, for example) is to work on accepting said-behavior in myself or working on addressing/minimizing the behavior I'm doing.

I don't know why but it seems to come as a surprise to me every time that my...triggers or irritations with gazingus-like behavior in other people is always about looking internally and dealing with my own stuff.

Argh. Personal growth is hard and never-ending.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1047 on: September 18, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
B/C I'm interested in the psychology of what triggers and what allows control of GP/mindless/or compulsive purchasing, I started thinking about my own GP categories over my lifetime (I'm in my late 40s now).

GP category:                                                                                                                                                   Clothing/Jewelry
Peak intensity (scale 1 [buy to replace or for change in lifestyle/climate] to 5 [regular impulsive buying]):    4
Age when peak occurred:                                                                                                                                ~15-25 years
Current intensity:                                                                                                                                             2    

History and behavioral patterns:

Like many teen girls pre-Internet, I developed the habit of recreational clothes shopping as soon as I got access to 1) a decent mall (junior year HS) and 2) my first job. I fell into the usual cliches of buying for 'imaginary me', buying things that didn't quite fit/wrong color/weren't my style, etc.  I never spent more than I could technically afford, but by my mid-20s I realized I never even wore half of what I bought and was wasting a lot of money.  By age 30 I had developed a simple personal style and had lost all impulse to hang out in malls or randomly shop online unless I actually NEEDED something, but I was still susceptible to impulse purchases once I actually committed to GOING shopping for a needed item. 

By age 40 I had settled into a lifestyle where I rarely required any clothes nicer than jeans/yoga pants, t-shirts, etc., and so I am rarely triggered to spend.   Nowadays, I mostly just replace, athletic shoes/boots, socks/underwear, and swimsuits (which I burn through at a fearsome rate).  I have some old paste jewelry, but don't really wear jewelry anymore.   And I've NEVER had the 'female shoe gene' thing.  I have always hated shoe shopping so much that I'm going on year 7 of 'needing to replace some basic casual-low-heeled shoes'.  Apparently I can get along without them after all.

This was definitely a GP for me for about a decade, but naturally withered as my style matured and lifestyle settled. It has probably helped that I haven't changed locations/climates, or jobs all that time, nor has my weight ever fluctuated much since college. My spending has been very steady/relatively low for more than 10 years. 

Conclusions:  Sheer regular exposure to new clothes seems to be my main trigger, and I don't regularly expose myself to that trigger so the impulse to buy has withered as well.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1048 on: September 18, 2018, 01:04:51 PM »
Here's another one...

GP category:                                                                                                                                                    Random hobbies/crafts/etc
Peak intensity (scale 1 [buy to replace or for change in lifestyle/climate] to 5 [regular impulsive buying]):    4
Age when peak occurred:                                                                                                                                all, flares about every 5 years
Current intensity:                                                                                                                                            1

History and behavioral patterns:

I am not sure this would qualify. The bursts of impulsive buying are so short, and there are long gaps between...would this be a GP? Or just a series of hobbies that I tried and didn't stick with?

My pattern seems to be getting bored with my routine and deciding I should start a new hobby, only to realize after a short burst of spending $ on it that I am not actually DOING the hobby that much, or at least not enough to warrant further spending.

Examples would be candlemaking, watercoloring, board games, jigsaw puzzles, workout dvds/online vids.

Of these, I DO actually do jigsaw puzzles every winter, but once I accumulated about 10 of them, I no longer have much urge to buy more and have given myself permission to buy a new one only if I give one away. That’s worked fine.

Workout dvds still FEEL like a true GP, psychologically speaking, although I haven’t bought any for several years.  I do work out, but not usually with the dvds; however, I constantly aspire to work out more AND to learn some dancing skills along the way.  And since I have about 20 dvds, most of them dance related, I get frustrated with myself that I don’t actually use them more, and that I mostly swim instead.

So even though I actually only impulse-purchased workout dvds for about 1 year during my early 40s, there is still strong psychological ‘baggage’ associated with those purchases that make it feel like I should consider it a GP and stay wary of falling into the impulse purchase pattern, even though I haven’t had a strong desire to purchase any workout dvds any time recently.

Conclusions:  One of my personality traits that seems to lead to GP style purchases is ‘aspirational’ buying. In other words, buying for the person I aspire to be, rather than the person I actually am. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1049 on: September 19, 2018, 10:56:40 AM »
1. Hi guys, I'm back from Europe and reporting in - I did not cave and engage in serious jewelry acquisition although I had allowed for that in my budget, instead I picked up a few pieces of costume jewelry for fun and for gifts, I spent way less than I expected and plowed that right back into my savings this morning.

I was thrilled to find several cool copies of Egyptian jewelry. I can't wait to work parts of these pieces into the Egyptian necklace that I have been working on for an entire year - I kept re-doing the design - ugh:) Both, the Louvre in Paris and the Egyptian Museum in Munich had the perfect "gold" pieces for my project - happiness reigns:).

2. So pleased to see how well everyone is doing - it is indeed a process that requires serious navel gazing and a little pain to shine a bright light into the darkest corners - those truths we prefer to ignore:)
So much of this gazingus pin passion is based on old realities or on current emotions we haven't given a voice to or simply cannot accept, yet.

3. Wenchsenior makes a good point, different phases in our lives trigger different behaviours.

Conclusions:  One of my personality traits that seems to lead to GP style purchases is ‘aspirational’ buying. In other words, buying for the person I aspire to be, rather than the person I actually am.

@wenchsenior
Yup - there is an aspirational aspect to my own jewelry buying tendencies for sure. However, it isn't as simple as all that:), of course.

As your life changes - your perceptions and desires change as well. Although I conquered the jewelry gazingus pin, I am now considerably more aware of how I really spend my money and why - it is a different level of awareness. One that allows me to acknowledge my true spending patterns.
A new level of awareness that is kind to me and allows me to be good to myself, yet reigns in the impulse spending without yelling in my head or making me feel bad when things are not perfect.
Interesting, how we strive to hide our excesses and poor choices even from ourselves - in other words, we need to be truthful and on occasion ready to accept and face bitter realities.

One of my own conclusions is certainly that a) it is good to know - I am not alone in this. It made me feel better about myself and inspired me to hang in there when temptation was overwhelming.
I hated the idea of reigning in anything - the bitterness in my case came from the realization that I/we have X amount of money and it is not just prudent but imperative for our future to manage it well.
It is eye opening how much better our financial lives become once we become pragmatic instead of operating strictly on an emotional level.

I am not entirely sure that if I had more monies at my disposal that I would have even entertained the idea to stop spending money on jewelry - I might simply have upgraded and increased the monies spent on individual jewelry purchases.
At first, I ranted and raved - a lot - then came insights and acceptance and better decisions, bit by bit. It is like everything else if you really want it - you stick with it and you make it happen - one day at a time.
I simply lived in denial for a while - we all know how to justify the silliest purchases to ourselves and call them "our values" and tell ourselves that we deserve it all.

What we all deserve is a good life, but with that comes the need for discipline and responsibility and those two do not really jive with a mindless gazingus pin addiction.
I happen to like being in control - so once I discovered that this gazingus pin was out of control I was completely unhappy with myself and my actions. Continuous unchecked indulgences are simply not a good thing, even financially irresponsible me can see that. I was determined to be back in control.

b) in the end it is all about balance, truthfulness (no lying to ourselves) and the importance of being kind to ourselves. We do deserve to live well - I agree with the saying: Living well is the best revenge.
Living well means different things to different people, but the happiness lies in the possibility of execution - to find a way to live the good life as you perceive it.

c) Examining our reasons, actions and addictions is not punishment or castigation/deprivation - no, it is utter relief to see clearly where you are and why you did what you did in the past or might have carried into your current life without any sort of examination of whether you are still on the right track.

Now I smile when I look in the jewelry window - I can just enjoy the beauty and style and all the fun designs online. There will always be new and cool things - it never really ends, but I have different priorities now and I am redirecting my money - so perhaps ...
ugh - can that be true??? - saving money has become my new gazingus pin:)

In other words, buying for the person I aspire to be, rather than the person I actually am.

Well, I think on occasion this can be a positive as well - i.e. - I purchased some leather hot pants when I was nine months pregnant in the size I wanted to return to:)
Took me almost three months to get into them - for the younger crowd - these are super short-shorts:)

Or purchasing a business suit for the job I aspired to...sometimes such a purchase can help us visualize and support our aspirations.

On the other hand, letting go of the acroutements of past lives or persisting in living a lifestyle we can no longer afford is financial suicide.

Dang - so sorry - I did not mean to go on and on. Anyway, if I were to guess I'd say I'm still firmly in the quarter of "I've conquered my jewelry gazingus pin" and I am duly impressed with how everyone keeps expressing their thoughts and feelings so eloquently - I recognize myself in so many of you.

Wenchsenior - no reason for panic and anxiety - we are just here to work it all out for ourselves - one day - one purchase - one reason at a time and yes, we are being uncomfortably honest in some of our assessments.
I think we all gasp at the things others spend money on or are surprised how truly tight some people are with their money. Not to mention the odd reasoning or preferences we all have. I still can't get over the fact that anyone finds it hard to spend money, even worse, feels no joy over buying something beautiful - even for themselves. That's shocking to me.

Like everything else here on MMM you gain a lot of new insights and new tools for your own life. This is one of those threads you take a lot away from if you do the work.

Change itself can be difficult, but overcoming an overwhelming desire to buy something that you know damn well you can't afford or already have too much of is not an easy feat - that's why it is called a challenge.
I don't think there is one reason or one cause. Sometimes we cave thoughtlessly, that is much easier to overcome - you recognize an automatic buy response and find a way to stop it, eventually:)

I even think that some people in this challenge are way too hard on themselves (in my unqualified opinion) others can't stop looking for excuses, but everyone is making progress.

There will be no jewelry buying by me in October, because I know I can do this for 30 days (one can do anything for 30 days if you see it as temporary) - but I plan to buy nothing at all for the rest of the year either. I want to remind myself to stay mindful and stay away from any sort of mindless purchases.

I am happy to continue the challenge with no purchases until Dec 31, 2018. Instead, I plan to complete several of my jewelry projects. 
On vacation, I bought four books, too much perfume and pretties for the house - so there - I should be good for at least six months:).

I even bought myself two pairs of pricey shoes/boots.
The boots and shoes were an extravagant purchase, but it felt so good to walk into the store and say I want those boots in the window, they are just my style. I hate buying "serviceable footwear", you know, the one shoe that supposedly goes with everything. I love my new classic style boot in Ferrari red with a bit of a heel. The shoes are a crazy new colorful style with a great walking sole.

Like Laura33 mentioned about her vacation tea purchase - I don't regret it at all. Boots like that are hard to find in my area and I am pleased with the quality too.

I have learned, that just because it is in the budget is no reason to buy - practicing abstinence on occasion is a very good thing and makes one feel so "holier than thou":)
Such foolishness - clearly, I'll never be un-emotional about money. Nevertheless, as long as I can manage to stick to my savings goal - it's currently looking better then I hoped for, yeah, despite vacation - I'll call it a success if I finish this challenge with three more months of no jewelry purchases.

@lifejoy - good going on the clothes. BTW, I read one of the books you recommended.

Good luck - hang in there everyone - we got this - only 103 more days to go!
Yes, of course I read up on everyone too:)