Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189423 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #600 on: March 16, 2018, 07:42:47 AM »
I was gifted a small bag of Shetland wool (raw, needs washing) at an event (wasn't expecting freebies at it).  Sort of a trial sample, and I have never spun Shetland.  But I didn't buy it!  This may count against me.    ;-(

For those who understand jewellery but not fibre, Shetland wool can be spun very fine and soft - they knit "Wedding ring shawls" out of this.  The shawl is so fine and light-weight that a whole shawl can go through a wedding ring.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #601 on: March 16, 2018, 07:58:32 AM »
Shetland wool is a nice treat to spin!  I love it.  (I gave away my spinning wheel and all my spindles. I was a crappy spinner and prefered to let other people do it.)

I don't think a gift can count against you.  Though I suppose the question is why are you doing the challenge: is it about money or about hoarding?

Could you give away a similar quantity of another fiber?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #602 on: March 16, 2018, 11:32:49 AM »
RetiredAt63 - you certainly put it into words I can understand!

For me, gifts or freebies 100% don’t count! Because the challenge for me is to not spend money in these areas. It makes unexpected gifts or freebies extra special and I appreciate them more.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #603 on: March 16, 2018, 05:08:00 PM »

LOL can I make it out of diamonds?? Or can it be like in AA and I get a medallion for making it that far? ;)

Haha I am soooo not a crafter.

Ha, @lifejoy you are doing a FANTASTIC job of slowing your gem-stone aquisition.
And 100 days of anything is fantastic, so congrats to all the rest of you as well :)

I’ve been feeling so tempted lately. But I keep imagining how good I’ll feel, knowing I’ve gone a year!

@lifejoy - baby steps, don't think about the entire year. Only 15 more days left in this month!
You can do this - one day at a time - 15 more days to go until the next extra shiny, extra sparkly star just for lifejoy!:)

@RetiredAt63 - gifts and freebies don't count - you get a free pass:) Shetland wool is a very fine thing - enjoy your free gift and honor the sheep by making something beautiful..

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #604 on: March 16, 2018, 05:56:42 PM »

@RetiredAt63 - gifts and freebies don't count - you get a free pass:) Shetland wool is a very fine thing - enjoy your free gift and honor the sheep by making something beautiful..

Whew!    ;-)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #605 on: March 16, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »
Thanks Rosy!

I’m just finding I need a new outlet. Instead of feel bad, buy jewellery or clothes- I need a new habit. Like, feel bad —> go walk in nature.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:46:13 PM by lifejoy »

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: March 18, 2018, 06:54:22 AM »
I still haven't bought any clothes for myself, so yay!  However, I did buy our kid a bunch of clothes at Walmart last week, mostly because his long-sleeve shirts are all 3/4 length shirts now. And then, after I'd taken the tags off and thrown them in with a load of wash, I found FIVE MORE 2T SHIRTS, all long-sleeved, upstairs in my "this is still too big" bin.  Yeah, they're not too big anymore, because I forgot about them.  /sigh.

And THEN I finally got the book Overdressed from the library, and now I feel absolutely awful about all of my clothing purchases. Everything I own was made in Cambodia or Vietnam or China by people who make like $5 a month, and they're all made partially of plastic.  Gah.  On the bright side, at least half of my clothes are second hand, but it's still ridiculous.

My plan was already to ask for nice replacement clothes for birthday and Christmas presents, once things start to break, but now it's definitely a stronger commitment to buy from Patagonia or the Made in the USA Carhartt line.  I never in a million years thought I'd say I wanted "made in the USA" things, but not supporting sweat shops seems like a good reason.  Patagonia is also trying to ensure good working conditions in their production facilities around the world, and they've got a great repair/replacement support system.  There's actually a page on their website on how to re-treat or repair all of the clothes they sell, which I thought was neat.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: March 18, 2018, 08:28:22 AM »
That's interesting, chaskavitch.  I feel kind of bad about buying cheapo clothes at H&M too.  Any other clothing brands which don't use sweatshops you can recommend? 

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: March 18, 2018, 08:38:22 AM »
That's interesting, chaskavitch.  I feel kind of bad about buying cheapo clothes at H&M too.  Any other clothing brands which don't use sweatshops you can recommend?

I haven't done a lot of research into it yet.  Patagonia is mentioned in the book as doing more work than "required" to ensure their sources are ethical, and I've always liked their business model and products.  My husband asked me to look into Carhartt, because he really likes their workwear. 

I'm sure there are a number of little artisan or local places that at least construct their clothing in the US.  If I find any other bigger brands when I look into it, I'll update here :)

I've also been more interested in sustainability overall in the last few months - less plastic use, better energy and water use, more gardening, getting local and more ethically raised meat, getting more chickens so we don't need to buy as many eggs - so this interest in sustainable clothing consumption is really just an expansion of my recent trains of thought.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:44:44 AM by chaskavitch »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #609 on: March 18, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »

I haven't done a lot of research into it yet.  Patagonia is mentioned in the book as doing more work than "required" to ensure their sources are ethical, and I've always liked their business model and products.  My husband asked me to look into Carhartt, because he really likes their workwear. 

I'm sure there are a number of little artisan or local places that at least construct their clothing in the US.  If I find any other bigger brands when I look into it, I'll update here :)

I've also been more interested in sustainability overall in the last few months - less plastic use, better energy and water use, more gardening, getting local and more ethically raised meat, getting more chickens so we don't need to buy as many eggs - so this interest in sustainable clothing consumption is really just an expansion of my recent trains of thought.

@Hula Hoop & @chaskavitch
Here is one website you can explore a bit..they have a list under Resources (I believe) about some top retailers and whether they are complying or transparent with working conditions for garment workers. http://fashionrevolution.org/about/

After years of watching this type of issue, I honestly feel that brands who are doing something about addressing these issues will be vocal (in their marketing) as they realize it's a growing concern.
2nd hand is great since textile dye-waste is also a massive environmental concern.

Patagonia is one well-known brand (pricey but will last ages). In Canada we have Mountain Equipment Co-op (which carries Prana, Arcteryx, etc)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #610 on: March 18, 2018, 03:56:16 PM »

@Hula Hoop & @chaskavitch
Here is one website you can explore a bit..they have a list under Resources (I believe) about some top retailers and whether they are complying or transparent with working conditions for garment workers. http://fashionrevolution.org/about/

After years of watching this type of issue, I honestly feel that brands who are doing something about addressing these issues will be vocal (in their marketing) as they realize it's a growing concern.
2nd hand is great since textile dye-waste is also a massive environmental concern.

Patagonia is one well-known brand (pricey but will last ages). In Canada we have Mountain Equipment Co-op (which carries Prana, Arcteryx, etc)

Thanks for that.  I was really surprised to see that H&M, Uniqlo and other budget brands that are often considered 'fast fashion' actually do really well in the transparency index.  And some expensive luxury brands like Hermes and Fendi are ranked really low.  Food for thought.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #611 on: March 19, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
I've bought no new gift cards & haven't violated my goals, but Mother's & Father's Day are coming up, which are always hard. I did pass on restaurant gift cards that were discounted yesterday, knowing that I don't want to go out to eat more often with an "excuse" due to the gift card. :-) I have also used 3 gift cards that have been lingering in my purse, reducing clutter!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #612 on: March 19, 2018, 07:28:32 AM »

Thanks for that.  I was really surprised to see that H&M, Uniqlo and other budget brands that are often considered 'fast fashion' actually do really well in the transparency index.  And some expensive luxury brands like Hermes and Fendi are ranked really low.  Food for thought.

Yes, sometimes public pressure has helped increase the transparency for the well-known brands.

There are, of course, other factors like you said,  that a lot of cheaper clothing isn't well made (not long-lasting at all) and composed of synthetic fibers (won't degrade), so it ends up in landfills even when donated to charities.
Textile waste is currently one of the biggest contributors to garbage heaps and some poorer countries are even trying to outlaw the dumping of N.American clothing into their economy since it ruins the local economy for tailors/sewers. An interesting issue to pay attention to that's for sure :)

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #613 on: March 19, 2018, 08:13:10 AM »
I bought my one book for March.  It was a new release by one of my favorite authors that I had preordered months ago.

I have to finish my library books before I will allow myself to read it.  One and a half to go.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #614 on: March 19, 2018, 11:03:23 AM »
I am now at the boring stage of the challenge, just trudging through most of the "meh" teas, interspersed with the periodic treat from one of the remaining ones I really like.  To whomever suggested mixing some of the plain teas in with the flavored ones, thanks!  One of the problems I have with my two remaining flavored ones is that they are too much, so I mixed in some dregs of some plain green/white teas, and not only did I get rid of a couple more bags, but the tea now tastes more like tea instead of overwhelming fruit.

I will say, though, I have caught myself in what I can only call a semi-cheat:  I found myself filling up the strainer to the very top to try to work through the remaining stuff more quickly!  Of course, that was largely irrelevant, because I re-steep each pot several times for my decaf tea, and of course more tea in the pot = shorter brewing time each time = more pots until the flavor runs out.  ;-)  So at least my bad intentions didn't actually help me cheat.  I just want to know what this part of my brain is that thinks up these things without me even realizing it until I'm doing it the second or third time!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #615 on: March 19, 2018, 07:42:10 PM »
Still no tools!  I feel that I am doing well, but we are starting to enter the cooler months when we can do more outside here.  Tool use picks up, and tool desire picks up.  I'm going to be strong.  I have every tool I need.

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #616 on: March 20, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »
Watches are my pins. I just don't know why, but I'm always looking at watches to buy even though I have 5 already and can only wear one at a time.

Holding strong...not a single watch purchase this year. Been resisting all the new micro brand releases!

Oh snap. Do you hang out on watchuseek? If you don’t... I would say don’t start until 2019 ;)

And I’ll give you a star once I get to a computer!!

Too late! I'm already a long time lurker on that website!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #617 on: March 21, 2018, 08:21:35 AM »
ATTENTION:

I am down to ONE tea bag. According to the rules I set, I can't buy more tea until I drink what I've got. Thanks to it still being Ass Cold out, I will most likely drink that tonight and will then be totally out.

So - time to replenish. I am not totally giving up tea as it's my healthy substitute for what I really want to be eating/drinking (wine, sweets, cheese, other junk food). Just have to figure out how to replenish in a non-gazingus-pin manner. For starters, I need to stop buying new varieties simply because I'm bored with what I've got (and really don't want tea anyway but instead want wine and junk); that leads to a package of tea I don't like and have to force myself to choke down. Which, y'know, runs counter to the whole point of trying to convince myself I'm having a treat.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #618 on: March 21, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »
Watches are my pins. I just don't know why, but I'm always looking at watches to buy even though I have 5 already and can only wear one at a time.

Holding strong...not a single watch purchase this year. Been resisting all the new micro brand releases!

Oh snap. Do you hang out on watchuseek? If you don’t... I would say don’t start until 2019 ;)

And I’ll give you a star once I get to a computer!!

Too late! I'm already a long time lurker on that website!

WUS was a major reason I suddenly needed watches... my husband really benefitted from my obsession! I no longer cruise on WUS because of too much temptation.

Yesterday I was at a thrift shop and an $8 gold seiko caught my eye. DID NOT BUY. I feel like watches are half jewellery and half "clothing" so they would count as a gazingus pin for me. I held strong!

Also... my husband is crazy, and he's going on a trip to a big city today and feels badly about leaving me home with baby all day even though he's on holiday. He'll be having brunch and dinner with friends, going to art galleries and beaches. Anyways - he says to me: "Want me to buy you a diamond when I'm in town? Something from Tiffany's??"

I say.... "NOOoooooooOOOOooo.... you can just get me a chocolate from Purdy's or something." ACK! What strong will. What torturous temptation. Especially since if DH used his fun money it would not totally be me cheating... but I will admit, he already bought me an ultrasonic cleaner with his fun money (even though I insisted he should wait until 2019) so I'm trying to be really really good.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #619 on: March 21, 2018, 10:10:21 AM »

I say.... "NOOoooooooOOOOooo.... you can just get me a chocolate from Purdy's or something." ACK! What strong will. What torturous temptation. Especially since if DH used his fun money it would not totally be me cheating... but I will admit, he already bought me an ultrasonic cleaner with his fun money (even though I insisted he should wait until 2019) so I'm trying to be really really good.

You are being REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!

Can I divert you with jewellery advice assistance?  I would like to occasionally wear a ring, but I have short stubby fingers.  Short enough that I can barely span the octave on a piano.  And chubby.  What styles of rings look good on fingers like that?  I know none of my rings look good right now because they are a bit tight and they look like they are going to cut off the circulation for that finger.  But stone shape?

There is no rush, I am trying to gradually (sensibly) lose weight to be kinder to my knees and more active this summer.  And that will mean thinner fingers.  But even when I had thin fingers, rings never looked all that great because of the short part.  Help?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #620 on: March 21, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »

You are being REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!

Can I divert you with jewellery advice assistance?  I would like to occasionally wear a ring, but I have short stubby fingers.  Short enough that I can barely span the octave on a piano.  And chubby.  What styles of rings look good on fingers like that?  I know none of my rings look good right now because they are a bit tight and they look like they are going to cut off the circulation for that finger.  But stone shape?

There is no rush, I am trying to gradually (sensibly) lose weight to be kinder to my knees and more active this summer.  And that will mean thinner fingers.  But even when I had thin fingers, rings never looked all that great because of the short part.  Help?

Hi!!!

Oh yes, I can DEFINITELY help you :D

I will PM you so this doesn’t turn into a shopping thread, but this site is cool for seeing what certain styles look like on different finger sizes: https://mysparkly.com/

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #621 on: March 21, 2018, 12:21:16 PM »
My husband has never randomly offered to buy me jewelry. :(

He does buy me gift cards to the bookstore....but I think maybe I'm missing out here!

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #622 on: March 21, 2018, 03:14:45 PM »
Oh my I need this challenge.  My gazingus pins are running related (and in my defense, I typically run 5 days a week).  I can't resist sale shoes, or a new pair of sunglasses in another color.  I literally have 8 pairs of running shoes, and I rotate them and use them under different conditions - but they probably have enough collective tread on them to last well over a year.

As for the sunglasses...they are only sold at certain specialty retailers, and when we travel out of state I literally search to see if there's a retailer in that city so I can bring home a "souvenir".  Ugh.  So I am posting here to be accountable.  I should probably tell my husband about my resolve so he won't enable me. ("sure honey we can stop at that running store...")

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #623 on: March 21, 2018, 03:54:52 PM »
Welcome to the club, @ohsnap - we are happy to have you join in this challenge with us:). Looks like you'll fit right in with the sport/shoe/runner addicts,  but you are the first with a sunglass fetish. Although, living in Florida I can totally relate, there are some super cool styles around.

Update - not caving so far, but what a terribly long month this appears to be.
Spending more time spring gardening and other diversions are helping me stay on track.

Meanwhile, the payments for jewelry bought in the past are slowly dropping off. I'll be done with all but one in May. ~ 75 more days to a clean slate - YAY.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #624 on: March 22, 2018, 08:24:57 AM »
Congrats @Tris Prior!  I think we have our first official winner on the thread!

Please post how you decide to address future tea purchases -- I am perhaps a month or so out myself and need to come up with a plan to counteract my "oh doesn't that look delicious think I'll treat myself" instinct.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #625 on: March 22, 2018, 08:47:55 AM »
That's a good question, Laura33. My plan for now is to buy no more than 3 flavors (I feel like that's the minimum variety I need so that I don't feel even more resentful that I'm drinking tea instead of wine), and to only buy flavors I've had before and know I like (to avoid a repeat of the disaster of choking down cup after cup of that awful Sugar Cookie tea I bought a while ago).

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #626 on: March 22, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »
My husband has never randomly offered to buy me jewelry. :(

He does buy me gift cards to the bookstore....but I think maybe I'm missing out here!

Omg before my self-imposed challenge he has NEVER offered and I have always asked!!! Maybe he’s offering because he knows my resolve is strong? Gah.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #627 on: March 23, 2018, 02:11:45 PM »
Update for me:  I decided to tell my husband of my resolve so that I'd be more accountable.  He was pretty happy.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #628 on: March 23, 2018, 04:02:58 PM »
One of the ways I justified to myself that I could still buy a few books a year is that the library doesn't tend to get a lot of the romances that I love.  Most of those books don't come out in hardcover, so the libraries don't always get them.

I had pre-ordered a new release for this month and was so excited to get my paperback.  I went to the library today...and they have 2 hardcover copies of the book in the new releases section.   Apparently it came out in hardcover at the same time.

This book I would have bought anyway because it's part of a series that I adore, but now I'm going to have to rethink my book-buying habits even more.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #629 on: March 23, 2018, 06:05:44 PM »
One of the ways I justified to myself that I could still buy a few books a year is that the library doesn't tend to get a lot of the romances that I love.  Most of those books don't come out in hardcover, so the libraries don't always get them.

I had pre-ordered a new release for this month and was so excited to get my paperback.  I went to the library today...and they have 2 hardcover copies of the book in the new releases section.   Apparently it came out in hardcover at the same time.

This book I would have bought anyway because it's part of a series that I adore, but now I'm going to have to rethink my book-buying habits even more.

Libraries are often very receptive to purchase requests from their patrons! Another thing to think about :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #630 on: March 25, 2018, 08:36:19 AM »

Oh no!:) more romance book temptation:) I had convinced myself that my local library NEVER gets any new romance books - they all seem to be at a minimum five to eight years old, most are from the nineties. 
Not that I care when it was written, but it would be nice to be able to read all of your favorite author's books in real time - not twenty years down the road.
I've been keeping my new romance book buying to about four-five books a year - like when I travel or was sick or wanted to treat myself.

I am sticking to my plan of reading 25 money/finance/economic books this year so this leaves considerably less time to read romances, but addicts always find time for reading somehow:).

Full disclosure, I spent close to $100 on books this year already, on a wide range of topics, haven't read any of them yet - unusual for me. Normally, I spend between $50 and $200 total annually, depending on whether I received gift cards or not.
For now, I'm good with reading down my stack of books from the library, the second-hand store, and B&N. 

I think it is a good exercise to reflect on your spending and set limits, but $200 max a year does not put me in gazingus pin territory since I can easily handle it out of my monthly discretionary funds.
The enjoyment I get from reading, the educational value and the leisurely afternoon spent sipping a fancy coffee while selecting my purchases is just one of the things that makes life worth living - other people may choose to camp out in the wilderness instead - the horror:)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #631 on: March 25, 2018, 01:00:46 PM »
I just made it through Target without any clothes for myself or anyone else, and without buying any Easter candy.  Whew!

My library seems to get a number of romance novels fairly quickly after they're released.  I never thought about what that says about the demographics of my city :)  I'm struggling to get through my stack of books now (all of which I want to read) because all I want to do in my free time is re-watch Doctor Who now that I found it on Amazon prime.  Good thing they're all moderately low on other people's lists of must-read books, so I can renew them for another three weeks :) 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #632 on: March 26, 2018, 12:23:38 AM »
Looking forward to my March star!!

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #633 on: March 26, 2018, 08:18:11 AM »

Oh no!:) more romance book temptation:) I had convinced myself that my local library NEVER gets any new romance books - they all seem to be at a minimum five to eight years old, most are from the nineties. 
Not that I care when it was written, but it would be nice to be able to read all of your favorite author's books in real time - not twenty years down the road.
I've been keeping my new romance book buying to about four-five books a year - like when I travel or was sick or wanted to treat myself.

I am sticking to my plan of reading 25 money/finance/economic books this year so this leaves considerably less time to read romances, but addicts always find time for reading somehow:).

Full disclosure, I spent close to $100 on books this year already, on a wide range of topics, haven't read any of them yet - unusual for me. Normally, I spend between $50 and $200 total annually, depending on whether I received gift cards or not.
For now, I'm good with reading down my stack of books from the library, the second-hand store, and B&N. 

I think it is a good exercise to reflect on your spending and set limits, but $200 max a year does not put me in gazingus pin territory since I can easily handle it out of my monthly discretionary funds.
The enjoyment I get from reading, the educational value and the leisurely afternoon spent sipping a fancy coffee while selecting my purchases is just one of the things that makes life worth living - other people may choose to camp out in the wilderness instead - the horror:)

My goal is 50 nonfiction books for the year.  I've read 45 books total already this year - 27 are romances.  They're like candy. Or crack.

I can well afford to toss a few books in my cart every week, and I do think I need to spend some money supporting my favorite authors, if only to convince them to keep writing!  My goal for this year is to be more mindful about my book lust in general.  If my TBR stack is so high I can't even remember what's in it (and therefore buy it again.  And again.), then I have a problem.  If I'm keeping dozens of books not because I want to read them again but because I'm too emotional to give them up...I have a problem.

<waves>My name is FDM and I have a book addiction.

This weekend I may have broken my goal for this month.  I gave oldest kid $10 for her book fair (I always give them book fair money with the caveat that it must be spent on books) and bought the youngest kid the first Wings of Fire book.  He's been really upset that he's been on the waiting list at the library for two months and probably has another two months to go before it's his turn.  I felt sorry for him...and a friend dragged me with her to B&N and I have an inability to leave that store without buying SOMETHING.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #634 on: March 26, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »

It's a personal challenege so obviously you set your own parameters, but I don't think ability to afford has anything to do with what a gazingus pin is, as defined in the first group.

If it did, I could buy hundreds of nail polishes or yards of fabric every month.  The issue is habitual buying of things you don't really need.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #635 on: March 26, 2018, 03:23:00 PM »
I’ve been feeling weak lately. I’m struggling to remember the reasons of why I’m doing this :/

Monkey brain says: why not just spend ALL THE MONEY on ALL THE THINGS

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #636 on: March 26, 2018, 04:55:02 PM »
I’ve been feeling weak lately. I’m struggling to remember the reasons of why I’m doing this :/

What are the big goals you have for your money?

Early retirement, where you have the time to luxuriate in bed in the morning and have a slow cup of coffee/tea in your bedroom? The ability to go for a run, or to paint, or to do what most fulfills you, day in and day out?

Waving kids off to college, happy and healthy, knowing that you're setting them up for an easier life with fewer/no student loans?

A trip to Asia?

Funding a scholarship at your alma mater?

What do you most deeply wish you had the money for? Because that's why you're resisting monkey brain.

(I have literally taken a post it, written a reason to not spend on it, and stuck the post-it on my debit card before.)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #637 on: March 26, 2018, 05:08:30 PM »

Can you remember a time you bought ALL THE THINGS and then felt crappy about it afterwards?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #638 on: March 26, 2018, 07:33:44 PM »
Diapasoun and happierathome - thank you. This really helped.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: March 26, 2018, 07:39:04 PM »
You are exercising your frugal muscles.  Just like when you work out (I imagine.. I don't work out LOL) when your muscles are at their most tired you get the biggest benefit from exercising them.   When you are having a moment of weakness, and then persevere and remain frugal and don't buy... that builds your strength even more than when it is easy.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #640 on: March 26, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »
Ok. My goals:

-stop buying stuff I really really don’t need
-stop buying stuff out of habit
-stop buying stuff when sad/insecure/bored
-stop adding to clutter
-stop web shopping
-stop mindless consumption/acquisition

-gain time
-gain space in my home
-gain mental space
-be a better role model for my daughter
-develop new hobbies
-gain confidence
-be more creative with current wardrobe
-be more environmentally-friendly by consuming less and reusing more

Thanks for helping me think about this stuff.

And happierathome, YES I have bought stuff and regretted it SO MANY TIMES, ESPECIALLY with clothing and jewellery. They are very much aspirational purchases for me, and the reality rarely meets the illusion/delusion. So yeah. Staying strong!

Also, I went out to go buy some walking shoes. Major win: I’m in the shop and my mom says, “Oh, I have some just like that! Do you want mine? I never wear them.” SCORE!!!!! So, so far this year, I’ve only bought sunglasses (to replace my only pair that broke) and a bridesmaid dress (mandatory). Doing well!!!

I want to buy the bride a piece of jewellery as a bridal shower gift/keepsake. I know she would appreciate that, but I worry that it’s me cheating or projecting. I’m thinking on it.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #641 on: March 26, 2018, 11:03:50 PM »
Web shopping is an interesting thing.  You can get such good bargains, but often you buy something you don't really need.  I used to do the "put it in the basket for later", but I would eventually buy it anyway.  I gave up internet shopping and internet browsing about 8 months ago, and the account with our debit card on it has grown and grown.  Do I miss the things I used to buy?  No.  Did i really need them?  No.  Was I feeling short of money because I was emptying an account whenever I had the cash?  Yes. 

The biggest change is that I no longer even think of browsing for things.  We occasionally buy items that are not available locally (and no, Amazon is not really an option here), but it is not a go-to.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #642 on: March 27, 2018, 07:50:56 AM »
I want to buy the bride a piece of jewellery as a bridal shower gift/keepsake. I know she would appreciate that, but I worry that it’s me cheating or projecting. I’m thinking on it.

What kind of gift would you get her if you didn't buy her jewelry?  Would you consider giving away a piece from your own collection instead of buying?

I would come up with a dollar amount that you feel you ought to spend on the wedding gift, and if buying jewelry fits into that amount, then just go ahead and do it.  However, if you feel comfortable giving away a piece that you already own that you think she would appreciate, and that would be at that value or greater-- why not do that, and put the savings towards your big goal?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #643 on: March 27, 2018, 08:27:29 AM »

What kind of gift would you get her if you didn't buy her jewelry?  Would you consider giving away a piece from your own collection instead of buying?

I would come up with a dollar amount that you feel you ought to spend on the wedding gift, and if buying jewelry fits into that amount, then just go ahead and do it.  However, if you feel comfortable giving away a piece that you already own that you think she would appreciate, and that would be at that value or greater-- why not do that, and put the savings towards your big goal?

I will think on this. Unfortunately I don’t own anything like I’m thinking of gifting, but I’m going to make certain!

I want to get her a bracelet from Tiffany’s, (she threw me a Breakfast at Tiffany’s bridal shower, so it’s a nice tie-in), but my other ideas are a nice pitcher for entertaining or a basket of date gift cards / wine / etc.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #644 on: March 27, 2018, 10:09:45 AM »
PS - So what do you all think? If you wanted to buy your gazingus pin as a gift for a friend, would that be cheating?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #645 on: March 27, 2018, 10:15:02 AM »
@lifejoy  Cheating? Well...I don't know..
              I know that I am trying not to buy books for others as well this year * I love finding books that I think someone would love* but I am also trying to reprogram my impulse to shop/to buy (for so many of those reasons you have listed above lifejoy!)
Sometimes the person will love the gift, but perhaps I am also adding to their clutter, or list of to-dos (ie..read this book!)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #646 on: March 27, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »

It's a personal challenege so obviously you set your own parameters, but I don't think ability to afford has anything to do with what a gazingus pin is, as defined in the first group.

If it did, I could buy hundreds of nail polishes or yards of fabric every month.  The issue is habitual buying of things you don't really need.

@iowajes - yes and no. I do agree with you that habitual buying of things you don't really need is an issue and a reason/definition of a gazingus pin. However, for me, books fall into the non-negotiable, this adds value to my life category.

I do exercise control of my impulses along with fiscal responsibility by curbing the book spend, using libraries and asking for gift cards. Books may be considered an indulgence by others if you purchase them outright instead of living with what the library has to offer.
You may call them personal spending "habits", but I disagree.
Books are important to me, they are not a "thing" like nail polish or jewelry.
Just like the occasional big trip or the pleasure I get from designing our big, organic garden, it is intertwined with my core values and way of life.

Books are not necessary for survival, but I'd forego eating for a good book and actually have on rare occasions in the distant past. That alone shows where my values lie, even though I am a foodie, I'd still choose a book.
Notwithstanding the ultimate pleasure of sippin' something or the double indulgence of eating chocolate while reading:)

I view my jewelry and gemstone addiction as a serious gazingus pin. I do not like that it has become a habit that is hard to kick for good. It was beginning to actually cause financial damage, which is completely unacceptable. The jewelry and gemstones do add great enjoyment to my life and even add monetary value, but if this particular buying habit goes unchecked, it can cause trouble since my financial resources are limited.
In truth, I have enough, still, it is proving hard to abstain from "habitual" buying and acquisition. I've actually never before had a true buying addiction like this one and I am rather unhappy with myself over it. It is hard to admit, but I am still tempted, although not as much.   

So you see I agree with your analysis that affordability is not the absolute measure or even a reason (although in my case it was part of the reason) for a gazingus pin.
But controlling your spending habits is the ultimate reason - I am in agreement there .

I want to severely limit, if not eliminate entirely, my jewelry/gemstone addiction, but I do not in the least feel that buying the occasional book rates as a gazingus pin in any way.
To the contrary, I would consider it a good habit:)

Sure, I'd prefer not to have to spend a dime on books, but that is not realistic or even desirable, given that without authors who can actually earn a living from their writing, the library would not have any books either.
I'd support an author any day before I would support a merchant. You buy a book - you buy an idea, entertainment, escape from reality, knowledge or an education.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:12:18 PM by Rosy »

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #647 on: March 27, 2018, 07:14:08 PM »
PS - So what do you all think? If you wanted to buy your gazingus pin as a gift for a friend, would that be cheating?

No.  If I was to buy a present for my son for his birthday, and he wanted some tools, I would see that as a good decision on his behalf.  Most quality tools last a long time and are pay back their value in savings over getting someone else in to do the work.

Jewelry?  I don't know if it ticks all of the boxes above.  But if it is something that you would feel great about giving, and something that means a lot to both of you, and she would keep and wear and get great enjoyment out of it, then that ultimately is what money is for (aside from keeping us alive).  If you are not fully convinced that she will love the present, then maybe reconsider it. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #648 on: March 27, 2018, 08:05:02 PM »

No.  If I was to buy a present for my son for his birthday, and he wanted some tools, I would see that as a good decision on his behalf.  Most quality tools last a long time and are pay back their value in savings over getting someone else in to do the work.

Jewelry?  I don't know if it ticks all of the boxes above.  But if it is something that you would feel great about giving, and something that means a lot to both of you, and she would keep and wear and get great enjoyment out of it, then that ultimately is what money is for (aside from keeping us alive).  If you are not fully convinced that she will love the present, then maybe reconsider it.

Cool. I have some time. I’m going to dig deep and be honest with myself about whether this gift would be more satisfying to me or for her. I also have a pearl necklace I never wear, which could be an option (as suggested above).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #649 on: March 28, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »

@iowajes - yes and no. I do agree with you that habitual buying of things you don't really need is an issue and a reason/definition of a gazingus pin. However, for me, books fall into the non-negotiable, this adds value to my life category.

I do exercise control of my impulses along with fiscal responsibility by curbing the book spend, using libraries and asking for gift cards. Books may be considered an indulgence by others if you purchase them outright instead of living with what the library has to offer.
You may call them personal spending "habits", but I disagree.
Books are important to me, they are not a "thing" like nail polish or jewelry.
Just like the occasional big trip or the pleasure I get from designing our big, organic garden, it is intertwined with my core values and way of life.

Books are not necessary for survival, but I'd forego eating for a good book and actually have on rare occasions in the distant past. That alone shows where my values lie, even though I am a foodie, I'd still choose a book.
Notwithstanding the ultimate pleasure of sippin' something or the double indulgence of eating chocolate while reading:)

I view my jewelry and gemstone addiction as a serious gazingus pin. I do not like that it has become a habit that is hard to kick for good. It was beginning to actually cause financial damage, which is completely unacceptable. The jewelry and gemstones do add great enjoyment to my life and even add monetary value, but if this particular buying habit goes unchecked, it can cause trouble since my financial resources are limited.
In truth, I have enough, still, it is proving hard to abstain from "habitual" buying and acquisition. I've actually never before had a true buying addiction like this one and I am rather unhappy with myself over it. It is hard to admit, but I am still tempted, although not as much.   

So you see I agree with your analysis that affordability is not the absolute measure or even a reason (although in my case it was part of the reason) for a gazingus pin.
But controlling your spending habits is the ultimate reason - I am in agreement there .

I want to severely limit, if not eliminate entirely, my jewelry/gemstone addiction, but I do not in the least feel that buying the occasional book rates as a gazingus pin in any way.
To the contrary, I would consider it a good habit:)

Sure, I'd prefer not to have to spend a dime on books, but that is not realistic or even desirable, given that without authors who can actually earn a living from their writing, the library would not have any books either.
I'd support an author any day before I would support a merchant. You buy a book - you buy an idea, entertainment, escape from reality, knowledge or an education.

But being able to -afford- something has nothing to do with whether it is a gazingus pin or not.

It is "the non-essential that you keep on buying even though you don’t need it, you already have some, and it’s just not necessary! It’s your kryponite, your habit, your addiction. Your collection. Your irrational obsession."

If you think books are essential, you need them and they are necessary- then it isn't a gazingus pin at all.  That they fit your budget doesn't matter. All my gazingus pins fit my budget (and also are a huge part of my stress relief, and therapist prescribed mental health care; though using, not buying...)  But just because I can afford more doesn't mean I need more.  What makes them not a gazingus pin is that to you they are necessary purchases.  Not that you are spending only $200 on them.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!