Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189706 times)

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #200 on: January 20, 2018, 10:14:55 AM »
Wow. It seems likes everyone is doing well. I’m still going strong and have avoided buying any snacks while out and about on my own.

There have been some occasions where we’ve visited a café for drinks and a cake as a family. These were unplanned purchases but the rest of my family hasn’t signed up for this challenge and it doesn’t seem fair to impose my rules on them. Sometimes we end up popping into a café to escape the rain and thaw out after doing fairly frugal and outdoorsy activities. Acquiring a thermos flask might help us have hot drinks on the go once the weather improves.

This challenge has really helped me to become more aware of the thoughts and emotions triggered in certain shopping-related circumstances. Consequently, I need to own up to another gazingus pin: Clothes for my daughter.

She gets so many hand-me-downs from her older cousin that we really don’t need to buy her much at all. But I find it hard to resist a bargain especially when it’s from one of the organic brands much beloved by some parents in our area. This is TOTALLY about impression management. I can deal with the idea of people judging me negatively based on my attire but I would hate for them to do the same to my daughter. Logically, I know that this really shouldn’t matter but emotionally, that’s a different matter.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:45:49 AM by Duchess »

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #201 on: January 20, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
Hi Everyone!

Confession time: I bought tea for a family member who recently ran out of her regular brew of choice, and succumbed to the temptation to add something for myself to the order as well. Sigh.

Not going to waste anyone's time by rationalizing the purchase on here, though it was not a mindless one. Also, if I hadn't decided to participate in this thread I would likely have bought more. A LOT more. And it would have been the varietals that expire sooner.

I have no intention of slinking off into the shadows and quitting altogether. But I wanted to come clean. This stuff is hard, and I admire you all for sticking to your guns. Onward and upward...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:00:57 AM by Inkedup »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #202 on: January 20, 2018, 11:19:45 AM »
So... it looks like my husband will be using my exception and buying fabric.

We are redoing our living room, and the design presented includes $700 of pillows.  I can make 8 pillows for about $50-100, even with expensive home dec fabric.  I will first go through my stash of quilting cottons and see if I can do anything with what I have, including dyeing some; so I'm going to avoid buying.  But there is NO WAY I will buy a pillow. Especially not for $80 (I used to balk at $25 pillows...)

Gotta ask... could you live without pillows for 11.5 months? Any worries that this could be the first exception of many..

I could, I'm not really a fan of them on couches, but redecorating our living room is husbands #1 priority this year. If I don't make them, he will buy them.

Ah gotcha. Not sure if it would work for you guys but we found some throw pillows at a thrift shop, 3 for $7. The colours and the cleanliness worked for us :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2018, 11:23:31 AM »
Wow. It seems likes everyone is doing well. I’m still going strong and have avoided buying any snacks while out and about on my own.

There have been some occasions where we’ve visited a café for drinks and a cake as a family. These were unplanned purchases but the rest of my family hasn’t signed up for this challenge and it doesn’t seem fair to impose my rules on them. Sometimes we end up popping into a café to escape the rain and thaw out after doing fairly frugal and outdoorsy activities. Acquiring a thermos flask might help us have hot drinks on the go once the weather improves.

This challenge has really helped me to become more aware of the thoughts and emotions triggered in certain shopping-related circumstances. Consequently, I need to own up to another gazingus pin: Clothes for my daughter.

She gets gets so many hand-me-downs from her older cousin that we really don’t need to buy her much at all. But I find it hard to resist a bargain especially when it’s from one of the organic brands much beloved by some parents in our area. This is TOTALLY about impression management. I can deal with the idea of people judging me negatively based on my attire but I would hate for them to do the same to my daughter. Logically, I know that this really shouldn’t matter but emotionally, that’s a different matter.

Props to you for such great awareness! Do you want me to add DD clothing to your name on the first post?

I grew up in handmedowns and it instilled some good values in me :)
One being that it’s important to be presentable but more important to have a good personality and be kind and hardworking etc. I guess I’m saying, maybe you can hope that people will judge your daughter based upon who she is and not what she’s wearing. (I know we as a society judge by appearances but still.)

Anyways great job with the snacks etc! And the awareness and thought process just sounds really great.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #204 on: January 20, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »
Hi Everyone!

Confession time: I bought tea for a family member who recently ran out of her regular brew of choice, and succumbed to the temptation to add something for myself to the order as well. Sigh.

Not going to waste anyone's time by rationalizing the purchase on here, though it was not a mindless one. Also, if I hadn't decided to participate in this thread I would likely have bought more. A LOT more. And it would have been the varietals that expire sooner.

I have no intention of slinking off into the shadows and quitting altogether. But I wanted to come clean. This stuff is hard, and I admire you all for sticking to your guns. Onward and upward...

You’re right - it is so hard to change ingrained habits! You’ve got guts to fess up and continue on :)
I believe in you.
Keep on keepin’ on. Make the decision to make this work and I bet you could do it. Only 11.5 months to go!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »
OK OK - here I am, joining the club - pass the tea, please:)

I've followed this challenge from the beginning and I've resisted joining in the fun (fun, ugh - highly debatable:). Resistance proved futile - I have some bada$$ goals for 2018 and unless I kick my jewelry habit - I love natural gemstones and whenever there is a new mine find or a favorite, like Sleeping Beauty Turquoise about to be mined out - I spend every extra penny on my sparkly obsession.

Looking over my 2017 expenditures showed me that I lied to myself all of 2017 - I am an out of control, raging jewelry/gemstone collector. Yes, I've successfully beat the collector's fever down to a smoldering fire - a few times in the last three years and yes, I did no real damage to my finances, yet.
However, the ugly truth is that if I want to meet my goals this year I need to step away from the fire.

A few days ago:
Oh lord, help me - it's gem week and I just discovered that my favorite designer is offering an event price on the matching earrings and ring to the necklace I already own.
This is my birthstone and my birthday is coming up and I really want to own the complete ensemble - well, everyone knows a complete set is more valuable to a collector .....
OMG, I can't stand to watch - this is the last cut (meaning he is out of that stone cut) - meaning this is a one and done, unless I order this now - it will be gone forever. I.WANT.IT.!!!

I came to this thread thirty times and shut off the TV for the afternoon - when I looked again, the set was sold out. So I didn't really totally resist temptation, I knew that if I held off for a few hours it would be gone forever - oh the agony!
Relief too - this was $700 I could ill afford to spend and I knew it, still, while I was in the grip of desire - imagining wearing my new complete set on my birthday - I was coming up with all sorts of spins to make it happen anyway - I mean I could ask for the ring for my birthday, ignoring that I already asked for a watch - I'm worth it, right?!

Full disclosure:
I did order a ring during gem week, before I saw the jewelry ensemble to match my necklace. My intention had been to allow myself one item, but only an item that I had been drooling over for a while and only if it was at a killer event price to boot.
So there is that - 99 bucks worth incl S&H.

But - that was before I discovered the extent of my jewelry purchases in 2017 at another channel that I had managed to hide from my conscious inspection. So now I feel guilty, chagrined.
I am questioning my values and what I'm even doing on MMM - since obviously I may be bada$$ in some areas - but a total failure in the obsession with sparkly beauties department.

@lifejoy - I hope it is OK for me to hang out with you here. I do think jewelry repairs should be allowed, if we don't, we deprive ourselves of the joy of wearing our sparkling beauties.
I am holding off on having my mother's pearl necklace restrung because I don't wear it that often.
I will not have anything reworked or have a new piece designed around my Morganite stones collection like I hoped to do for my birthday either.

I'm really feeling the pinch of paying off the few sparklies incl a lovely Chrome Diopside necklace with awesome stone quality that I pounced on during the holiday sale. These were pieces to enhance my collection and I love and wear everyone one of them with great joy. The trouble is that I forgot how much of an impact even a $200 monthly payment can have on an already tight budget - there was much upheaval in my budget in 2017 and I'm still trying to adjust - not fun.

So since it is no longer in the budget and all my resources in 2018 will be poured into my two goals of $50K savings and filling up my travel fund in time for my Europe trip later this year - there will be no more Gazingus pins for me in 2018.

Oh and lifejoy, I am glad that I was never into diamonds, although I admire the Art Deco pieces, they never were in my price range:) Although I do own a couple, including one ring I bought in Amsterdam at the Diamond Exchange a long time ago, small, but exquisite.
I'm a sucker for gold though and one day I will buy that one particular style gold necklace I've always wanted, maybe for my 70th birthday. Yes, I think I'd like that.
In fact, as I write this I've come to a decision - that necklace will be the last thing I'll ever buy. I love jewelry and always pick up something on every trip I take, but I am well aware that the time has come to say enough is enough and in a sense, I am good with that.
So I will end it all in style with a fine gold necklace.

Whew - funny how these things happen sometimes - it will be so much easier to quit cold turkey now.
So now I am thinking - - yup, nothing at all is just fine with me.
Just think, I'll save a bunch of money now and in the future. I'll be able to meet both my goals a lot easier and I have that last fine gold necklace to look forward to.

Welcome, Rosy!! You’re a girl after my own heart :)

Something that has helped me buy less jewellery is to take photos and itemize and appreciate everything I already own. I’ve stopped shopping for jewellery but I haven’t unsubscribed to emails or bling Instagram accounts. That’ll be step two :)

You might check out the Smart Closet or Stylebook apps. I’m using stylebook (because I didn’t know about the free alternative, Smart Closet) and its REALLY helping me. You take pics and you can see cost per wear and everything!

I’m doing well and a book that I keep thinking of is The Power of Habit. (Your library will probably have it! I https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12609433-the-power-of-habit) I am making a new habit.

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2018, 11:53:15 AM »
Props to you for such great awareness! Do you want me to add DD clothing to your name on the first post?
Thank you 😊 Yes, please add DD clothing to the list.

@lifejoy I notice in your stylebook screen that you have zero items on your wish list. That’s got to be a good thing!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:32:53 PM by Duchess »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »
Avoided some adorable fashion and accessories last night...a lovely lace bralette that I just don't need was passed over with only an adoring glance.   Sadly, I know that my girls would never be contained by such frivolity, but it is nice to day dream.  Buttery soft navy blue and magnolia leggings with a denim tunic...sigh.  And then I wandered away from the shiny pretties, muttering under my breath "no gazingus pins" and made haste to the item I really needed, TEA...bahahahahaha

No really, its for my new singing gig, got to protect the pipes.

Way to go!!!! Practice that resistance muscle!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2018, 12:10:59 PM »
Totally late, but I'm definitely joining this. I have a few smaller gazingus pins that are mostly under control, but my biggest gazingus pin is and always has been books. Being surrounded by books is intensely comforting to me for a whole variety of reasons. While that's not necessarily bad, the fact that I buy books and then don't READ them is. Books are great, but my relationship with them is off, and to me it feels disrespectful to a book to buy it and then never interact with it again.

Therefore, I have a moratorium on buying new books; the only exception is a book for the book club I run IF I can't find it at any of the libraries I have access to, or on a friend's shelf. Audible subscrip is cancelled, my comic pull list is set to run out at the ends of the current runs (may take a bit but we'll see), and I have given myself a firm GLARE about buying rarer medieval texts at the specialty bookshop. Gift books are okay (they're the guaranteed thing I receive on any gift-giving occasion). I'm not sure what my line is yet on free books (e.g. free piles or Little Library books). I'm leaning towards no on the freebies, but I'm not sure yet.

Congrats to everyone who is successfully resisting their gazingus pins! Woooo!

Welcome! I hear ya on buying books and not reading them. It wasn’t until I switched to 99% library books and I had 3-9 weeks (depending on renewals) to read them... that I started really, swiftly, reading them. It’s pretty great!!

You got this. :)

For comic books, my library has the hoopla app and it allowed me to read the Saga comic (including the latest one in the day of its release! Awesome!). Maybe your library has something like that?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
Just checking in to say I'm still going strong.

Really appreciating this thread. Making a public commitment to buy NO gazingus pins has helped me in ways I did not expect - it is oddly soothing to know I won't be browsing certain online shops, won't be agonising over potential purchases, won't be wondering afterwards if they will be worth it. Thanks Lifejoy!

I feel the same way. Telling myself something is not an option has kind of mentally taken it off the table for me.

Also I am somewhat housebound with a baby, so that helps me avoid the malls! ;)
But online shopping was always my bigger challenge anyways. I am avoiding online shopping by reading blogs and watching videos and posting on the MMM forum, instead.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »
And, my gazingus pin - not buying discounted gift cards unless I have an actual planned expense that will use them up. I sometimes get caught up in the "bargain"

Staying strong. Have not bought any gift cards, and have been slowly using up a couple that we have.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »
Hi Everyone!

You’re right - it is so hard to change ingrained habits! You’ve got guts to fess up and continue on :)
I believe in you.
Keep on keepin’ on. Make the decision to make this work and I bet you could do it. Only 11.5 months to go!

Thanks, lifejoy! :D

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2018, 04:13:35 PM »
And, my gazingus pin - not buying discounted gift cards unless I have an actual planned expense that will use them up. I sometimes get caught up in the "bargain"

Staying strong. Have not bought any gift cards, and have been slowly using up a couple that we have.

Woo woo!! Nailing it!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #213 on: January 20, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »
Welcome! I hear ya on buying books and not reading them. It wasn’t until I switched to 99% library books and I had 3-9 weeks (depending on renewals) to read them... that I started really, swiftly, reading them. It’s pretty great!!

For comic books, my library has the hoopla app and it allowed me to read the Saga comic (including the latest one in the day of its release! Awesome!). Maybe your library has something like that?

It's both hard and easy -- most of the time it's not too rough, but I have some very weird, niche interests, and so when I'm in some old used bookstore and a book hits that interest perfectly... it can be hard. One of the things I need to do is just not go into the bookstores that have my biggest problem books.

My library has an okay comic collection, not great. It does look like we have Hoopla, though; I need to look. I have CloudLibrary, may as well add Hoopla in...!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #214 on: January 20, 2018, 09:10:07 PM »

It's both hard and easy -- most of the time it's not too rough, but I have some very weird, niche interests, and so when I'm in some old used bookstore and a book hits that interest perfectly... it can be hard. One of the things I need to do is just not go into the bookstores that have my biggest problem books.

My library has an okay comic collection, not great. It does look like we have Hoopla, though; I need to look. I have CloudLibrary, may as well add Hoopla in...!

I am HUGE into the “Saga” graphic novel series and Hoopla has it. Super easy to read on phone, tablet, or computer!

Yes learning to stop shopping for our gazingus pins seems to be vital.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2018, 09:27:07 AM »
I am HUGE into the “Saga” graphic novel series and Hoopla has it. Super easy to read on phone, tablet, or computer!

Saga is amazing, and one of the things that got me back into comics after years off.

Yeah, learning to avoid certain triggery places is so helpful. I'm glad mine are physical - easier to avoid than websites. I feel for everyone who has an online trigger!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2018, 09:49:58 AM »

Saga is amazing, and one of the things that got me back into comics after years off.

Yeah, learning to avoid certain triggery places is so helpful. I'm glad mine are physical - easier to avoid than websites. I feel for everyone who has an online trigger!

Sometimes I dream of camping with no wifi...

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2018, 10:48:23 AM »
Checking in... so far I'm still on the wagon! The Buy Nothing Group shoes I was hoping to get didn't happen, the person flaked out, which is fine. I had already mentally selected a pair of older, uncomfortable trail shoes in my closet that I would have put in the donation bag, so I feel good about exercising the one-in one-out mentality.

Hubby seems pretty convinced his trekking poles are in good shape and don't need replacement, but he also emailed the company to see if what they say or if they can repair them.

I ran several times last week, and had a good hike yesterday, all with my existing gear. Buying shit doesn't make me outdoorsy, going outside makes me outdoorsy :)

Oooh! Do you need help shopping for a tent??? (KIDDING)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:51:14 AM by DTaggart »

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »
I'm doing well this week, I think.  I haven't bought any clothes, and I have avoided buying extra snacks except for two granola bars (Kind savory bars) to bring to work.  Right now I only have sweet things to snack on, and that just spirals down into eating tortillas with melted chocolate chips and peanut butter when DH isn't looking (for real - it's ridiculous and terrible and I can't stop myself, which is yet another problem).

My clothes swap has been moved from the beginning of Feb to the beginning of March, which I'm taking as a good thing - more time to go through my clothes and resign myself to getting rid of more!  I still haven't chosen a shirt to get rid of in response to buying that Costco shirt, which is just sad. 

DH has a standing video game engagement on Monday nights - I think I'm going to try to go through my dresser once a week and get rid of at least one thing, as well as consider carefully what I'm keeping.  I have a bunch of shirts that I have either never worn or wear very seldom, but I keep them "just in case" - for that one perfect situation, or to try with that other pair of pants that isn't quite comfortable yet, so I still haven't worn it.  I have a shirt that I got (for free, at least) that gaps at the front buttons, and I rationalized it with "once I'm done breastfeeding this will totally fit!"  I think that's the one that's going to go first.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2018, 11:10:26 AM »
I am so excited for spring. 2 years ago we upgraded our tent for an epic cross continent camping trip, then DH got hit by a car and we couldn't go.  Last year, we had the baby. But THIS year we are going to use our mammoth tent!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »
Checking in... so far I'm still on the wagon! The Buy Nothing Group shoes I was hoping to get didn't happen, the person flaked out, which is fine. I had already mentally selected a pair of older, uncomfortable trail shoes in my closet that I would have put in the donation bag, so I feel good about exercising the one-in one-out mentality.

Hubby seems pretty convinced his trekking poles are in good shape and don't need replacement, but he also emailed the company to see if what they say or if they can repair them.

I ran several times last week, and had a good hike yesterday, all with my existing gear. Buying shit doesn't make me outdoorsy, going outside makes me outdoorsy :)

Oooh! Do you need help shopping for a tent??? (KIDDING)

Hahaha good one!!! ;)

Also smart on you guys for emailing the company. And I really like: “Buying shit doesn't make me outdoorsy, going outside makes me outdoorsy :)”

I think that sentence can be adopted for all aspirational buying!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »
I'm doing well this week, I think.  I haven't bought any clothes, and I have avoided buying extra snacks except for two granola bars (Kind savory bars) to bring to work.  Right now I only have sweet things to snack on, and that just spirals down into eating tortillas with melted chocolate chips and peanut butter when DH isn't looking (for real - it's ridiculous and terrible and I can't stop myself, which is yet another problem).

My clothes swap has been moved from the beginning of Feb to the beginning of March, which I'm taking as a good thing - more time to go through my clothes and resign myself to getting rid of more!  I still haven't chosen a shirt to get rid of in response to buying that Costco shirt, which is just sad. 

DH has a standing video game engagement on Monday nights - I think I'm going to try to go through my dresser once a week and get rid of at least one thing, as well as consider carefully what I'm keeping.  I have a bunch of shirts that I have either never worn or wear very seldom, but I keep them "just in case" - for that one perfect situation, or to try with that other pair of pants that isn't quite comfortable yet, so I still haven't worn it.  I have a shirt that I got (for free, at least) that gaps at the front buttons, and I rationalized it with "once I'm done breastfeeding this will totally fit!"  I think that's the one that's going to go first.

Here's one idea that works well for me. If my clothes are super well organized, I'm much more inclined to a) see everything and b) know what I'm wearing/not wearing or c) wear everything.

Here are a few tips I use:
-I roll all of my tank tops & then line them up by color in drawers. (I'm in California, so layer a lot of thin cardigans with colored tank tops for work). The rolling gives you a TON of space, and you can easily see everything at one glance. Seeing how many lovely colors I have is really helpful & prevents me wanting to buy more
-Work out clothes. Same thing - I group into categories (running pants for warmer weather, cooler weather, and just around the house pants). I fold the pants, but they are all in convenient stacks, so I don't need to see everything. Once I grouped them by usage, it became clear that I had too many of one type. (Will sell the nicer pair on eBay). For my workout tanks, I arrange by sports bras (just stacked on each other), rolled dry fit tshirts, and work out tanks. I can easily see everything I have, and things go through quite a rotation

I could go on, but the organization is key for me in seeing what I'm using, using what I have, and discovering when I have too much of any one thing.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2018, 12:03:49 PM »
@chaskavitch:

Things I’ve done to prep for clothing swaps is to reverse the direction of all my hangers and then turn them the other way once I’ve worn that item. Over time it because obvious which items you’ve never grabbed for.

Also I keep a bag in my closet for potential clothing swap items. I feel it on an ongoing basis. If I never dig an item out, then I know I won’t miss it if I give it up!

Good luck :)

This website helped me narrow down what kind of items I should keep: https://anuschkarees.com/

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2018, 01:03:46 PM »
Success today: ran to the mall for something I needed, and lo and behold, there was a brand new tea shop across the walkway.  I stopped and saw all the lovely canisters, and then turned and walked away. 

But I am reminded why I don’t go to the mall!  It’s funny, the last few weeks I have had unexpected free time as DD is now driving and taking care of stuff, and I am realizing that I have spent more money than before, because I am using my free time to take care of annoying errands that involve the mall or a shopping center (which I normally avoid like the plague), and then I see other things that seem like a good idea, and before I know it, I’ve bought crap I don’t actually need.  Just this AM I talked myself out of picking up a new pair of gym shoes “while I was out” — I knew I was going to be next to the store, and I had a coupon and member “bucks,” so I thought, well, might as well get that taken care of so I don’t have to make another trip when the shoes give out.  And then I made myself inspect my shoes, and yes, they are over a year old, but they are just fine, so I put the coupon down and stepped away.

So clearly the lesson for me is to stick with habits that keep me away from temptation.  Because willpower goes only so far.  Luckily, this morning it took me right past that pretty new tea shop and out to my car.  ;-). And I’ve finished off a second bag of tea, too.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »
@chaskavitch:

Things I’ve done to prep for clothing swaps is to reverse the direction of all my hangers and then turn them the other way once I’ve worn that item. Over time it because obvious which items you’ve never grabbed for.

Also I keep a bag in my closet for potential clothing swap items. I feel it on an ongoing basis. If I never dig an item out, then I know I won’t miss it if I give it up!

Good luck :)

This website helped me narrow down what kind of items I should keep: https://anuschkarees.com/

I've tried the reverse hanger thing before, but I always convince myself that I have a good reason for keeping things :)  I should probably try again.

That's an interesting website!  I vacillate a lot about what my "style" is, or what colors I enjoy.  I should really think about it so I end up with a cohesive wardrobe, instead of random outfits that don't intermingle.

ETA: Now I'm just going through pinterest looking for pretty lace tops /sigh
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:33:13 PM by chaskavitch »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2018, 02:57:47 PM »
I've tried the reverse hanger thing before, but I always convince myself that I have a good reason for keeping things :)  I should probably try again.

I don't know if this would work for you, but two things I've done:

1. When I do the reverse hanger trick, I give myself a full year to turn the hangers back around. If I haven't worn it in over a year, it GOES (unless it's something I'm only gonna wear to a wedding) -- work clothes, workout clothes, etc, it goes. Because I know it GOES, this means I purposefully put items into rotation, and wear them when I might not otherwise. And when I keep staring at something and still don't want to wear it, even if I know it has to go after a year, it usually means I should probably get rid of it before the year is up.

2. I am not allowed to acquire more clothing storage space. No more hangers than I have. No more drawer or shelf space than I have. If something new doesn't fit in that space, something old has to get tossed. This absolutely works well for me in getting rid of things I don't wear, and has prevented me from buying stuff before too ('This is a hanger top and not cooler than anything else I have!').

Clothing's not my gazingus pin, so not sure if this would work for you. I'm kind of using the second method for my books right now -- if there's no shelf space, there's no space for new books (which is... very true right now, and helping me in not buying new stuff).

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »

1. When I do the reverse hanger trick, I give myself a full year to turn the hangers back around. If I haven't worn it in over a year, it GOES (unless it's something I'm only gonna wear to a wedding) -- work clothes, workout clothes, etc, it goes. Because I know it GOES, this means I purposefully put items into rotation, and wear them when I might not otherwise. And when I keep staring at something and still don't want to wear it, even if I know it has to go after a year, it usually means I should probably get rid of it before the year is up.

2. I am not allowed to acquire more clothing storage space. No more hangers than I have. No more drawer or shelf space than I have. If something new doesn't fit in that space, something old has to get tossed. This absolutely works well for me in getting rid of things I don't wear, and has prevented me from buying stuff before too ('This is a hanger top and not cooler than anything else I have!').

Clothing's not my gazingus pin, so not sure if this would work for you. I'm kind of using the second method for my books right now -- if there's no shelf space, there's no space for new books (which is... very true right now, and helping me in not buying new stuff).

So, another problem with this method right now (and yet another justification) is that I'm in the middle of kids.  I got pregnant in summer 2015; spent half of 2016 pregnant; and spent last year convincing myself I was going to be consistent working out, eating right, lose weight, and fit in the clothes I've been saving for years for "when I'm thinner again".  We're considering trying to have another kid this year, so everything will hopefully be in flux for a while longer.

On the other hand, there are clothes that I definitely already look at and think "I should really try that shirt again", and pass them over because I just don't like them that much,  due to comfort/color/style.  Those clothes, at least, should definitely go.

I also like the idea of not adding things I don't have space for.  I've already been pregnant, and theoretically shouldn't need to buy even more maternity clothes this time around. 

Harper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
Great job everyone!

I haven't bought any new workout videos -- at least in 2018. I did pick up 8 videos for $8 at Dollar Tree at the end of December but no more.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2018, 01:09:20 AM »

So, another problem with this method right now (and yet another justification) is that I'm in the middle of kids.  I got pregnant in summer 2015; spent half of 2016 pregnant; and spent last year convincing myself I was going to be consistent working out, eating right, lose weight, and fit in the clothes I've been saving for years for "when I'm thinner again".  We're considering trying to have another kid this year, so everything will hopefully be in flux for a while longer.

On the other hand, there are clothes that I definitely already look at and think "I should really try that shirt again", and pass them over because I just don't like them that much,  due to comfort/color/style.  Those clothes, at least, should definitely go.

I also like the idea of not adding things I don't have space for.  I've already been pregnant, and theoretically shouldn't need to buy even more maternity clothes this time around.

Clothes that don’t fit right now:
Would you buy it brand new today? No? Why?

Keep the stuff that you’d buy new in the right size. But if the style gives you pause, that should tell you something!

Pack up the clothes that don’t fit now. For me, my pre-pregnancy clothes got packed away. And now my maternity clothes are packed away, too. I’ve got out my pre-pregnancy clothes that fit, and my nursing clothes. It helps me focus on the clothes that work now instead of being overwhelmed by a whole bunch of sizes.

Download the free app “Smart Closet”. If there’s an article of clothing you don’t want to add, pay attention to that feeling! It’s probably something you don’t really like.

Hope that helps :)

Another thing you can do is to move all your “maybe” clothes (that do fit) instal a spare closet. If you never reach for them... you know you’ll never miss them!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2018, 01:10:24 AM »
Great job everyone!

I haven't bought any new workout videos -- at least in 2018. I did pick up 8 videos for $8 at Dollar Tree at the end of December but no more.

Woo woo! That’s really excellent of you!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2018, 01:35:33 AM »
PS good questions for looking through clothing:

Does this fit me?
Is this age-appropriate?
Is this my true style?
Do I love this?
Do I wear this?

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2018, 06:23:05 AM »

Does this fit me?
Is this age-appropriate?
Is this my true style?
Do I love this?
Do I wear this?

Those are nice simple questions that seem like they should be easy to answer if I go with my gut reaction.  We'll see how tonight goes.  I did make some lists yesterday after reading through a few posts on the website you recommended, and I realized I never wear brown.  Ever.  I think of myself as having sort of an earthy palate usually, lots of greens and burgundys, burnt orange, etc., but I have exactly one brown camisole and one other shirt (that I rarely wear) with brown accents.  It's weird that I never noticed that before.   

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2018, 06:28:31 AM »

Does this fit me?
Is this age-appropriate?
Is this my true style?
Do I love this?
Do I wear this?

Those are nice simple questions that seem like they should be easy to answer if I go with my gut reaction.  We'll see how tonight goes.  I did make some lists yesterday after reading through a few posts on the website you recommended, and I realized I never wear brown.  Ever.  I think of myself as having sort of an earthy palate usually, lots of greens and burgundys, burnt orange, etc., but I have exactly one brown camisole and one other shirt (that I rarely wear) with brown accents.  It's weird that I never noticed that before.

Sounds like you’re off to a great start! And you’ll be getting new-to-you stuff at your upcoming swap. It’ll feel good to contribute the stuff you don’t wear and don’t love :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2018, 07:57:13 AM »
So far so good - presently, I am not tempted to add to my jewelry collection at all.

My last jewelry payment is in May - some of it will drop off in Jan and then March. So to make this challenge more real and effective, I will take exactly half of each of those payments and send them to my Holiday Club savings account @2% APR instead.
So come Feb 1, I'll see my first small $ win. It will be only $22 (pmt was 43.88) but hey, I'll take it.

lifejoy, you are right - it certainly helps to take inventory of what you already own. I did that last year and was shocked when I found a couple of near-duplicates - what a waste of money. For shame!

My downfall has been the jewelry channels on TV, I discovered them at a time when I was sick and depressed ... I stopped buying for awhile when the monthly pmts got out of hand - WTH? I knew I was in trouble then:)
This is year four and ugh, I find that I'm still not quite where I would like to be, although there has been a measurable improvement.

Last year I organized my jewelry by gemstone which really made me happy:). I ordered jewelry boxes with a glass top lid so I can see at a glance what I already have.
That gave me great satisfaction, definitely saved me some money, because I could take a time out from TV and quickly look in my jewelry box. It stopped me from buying more.
Of course, it also led to a list of - I need earrings to go with that....

Taking inventory, taking pictures and having all jewelry invoices in one place went a long way towards reigning in the spontaneous spend. I realized there was significant appreciation of a couple solitaire stones I purchased years ago. Sweet!
So there is that.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »
Rosy, I think you and I are making a smart move by calming it down on the jewellery! I own stuff I’ve never even worn...

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2018, 10:00:19 PM »
I just wanna say... my stylebook app is keeping a running total of how much money I’ve spent on clothing and jewellery. Yikes. It reminds me of the first step in YMOYL where you add up how much money you’ve ever earned and then you go WOAH.

Well I’ve been slowly adding to my digital closet and WOAH. Maybe when I’m done I’ll reveal the total $ but for now I’ll just use it as a VERY effective way to not give in!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2018, 08:05:44 AM »
My thought for this morning:

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #237 on: January 23, 2018, 11:24:43 AM »
Also this one:

Socrates — 'He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.'

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »
My thought for this morning:

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Love this one!!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #239 on: January 24, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »
Rosy, I think you and I are making a smart move by calming it down on the jewellery! I own stuff I’ve never even worn...

Lifejoy - I confess there are three items in my jewelry box at present that I have not yet worn - although I will say in my defense that two of them are "going out" pieces not suited for daily wear.
The third - well, is one of the reasons I am toning it down.

In my e-mail this morning:
Rosy, we've got a markdown with your name on it .....

Sure I let myself be pulled into the rabbit hole and looked ... and oh yeah, I was sooo tempted for about 5 minutes until, like you, I looked at last years credit card statement and I was once again - temporarily - cured.
Those statements, and yesterday I looked all the way back to 2013, are like throwing cold water on my feverish desire for more ...
Yes, I wanted those two items and had saved them, but hey, I am sticking to my plan - no more gemstones/jewelry for me in 2018.

I am hoping that together we will make it through this year. If I want to meet my goals I simply have to re-direct my money, that is all there is to it.

Something else I noticed, one of the last pieces I bought in December and another around June of last year - were "upgrades"!!!!
A dangerous development.
I already own most of the collection (95%) that I set out to accumulate - oh yeah, somewhere along the line this "collection" turned into a "goal" of owning certain gemstones/jewelry ensembles.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2018, 10:58:05 AM »
Congrats on holding strong, Rosy.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: January 24, 2018, 11:09:56 AM »
phweeew! The nail polish sale ended and I did not buy any :)

No fabric so far in January. And I've actually sewn a few times, so used some. 

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #242 on: January 24, 2018, 12:08:45 PM »
@Rosy:  One of the things that I find helps me in the face of mindless temptation is to multiply whatever the amount is by 25, because that is how much more I would need to have in my 'stache to FIRE with the ability to buy stuff like that every year.  Because sure, I'm not going to buy the exact same thing again, but I have gotten used to a lifestyle where I get to blow $XX cash on that kind of stuff every year.  And that means that I have to acknowledge to myself that this isn't a one-time thing -- that I have let my lifestyle inflate to the point that dropping $XX/year on this stuff is my "normal."  Therefore, if I want to FIRE successfully, my two choices are to get used to living without $XX worth of new stuff every year (starting now!), or to make sure I save enough extra to continue to fund $XX every year.

And if you really want to be depressed, start with that (e.g., take your last year's jewelry spending and multiply by 25 to get the extra 'stache needed), and then compare that figure to how much $$ you are saving each year, in total.  How many more years will you need to work at that savings rate to cover the cost of your habit?  Is it worth that extra time?

I'm not going to blow smoke:  I will freely admit that sometimes my answer to that question has been "hell yes, this is worth it!"  But way more often, the answer is either "what the hell was I thinking, I don't need this!" or "you know, I like this and appreciate it, but maybe $X is enough to make me happy instead of $XX."   

On the tea front, another tin down. :-)  I have really been surprised to discover how many containers I had with only a pot or two of tea left -- just getting rid of those will free up a ton of room in the pantry.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #243 on: January 24, 2018, 12:46:03 PM »
Everyone is doing awesome!

I had a moment of major temptation yesterday. I'm in several Facebook groups for discussing hiking/backpacking gear, and yesterday someone pointed out a MassDrop deal for 3-packs of Darn Tough merino wool hiking socks for about 1/3 off the normal price. I would have scrolled right on by, except that Darn Tough is an AWESOME brand who happens to have a lifetime guarantee - if you ever get a hole in one of their socks you can send them in and receive a replacement pair. I already own 1 pair and have had them replaced once, so I know they make good on the guarantee. My eventual goal is to someday have 4-5 pairs of Darn Tough socks each for both hubby and I, and then we'll never have to pay for hiking socks again!

So needless to say, the deal caught my eye. But then I clicked on it, and it turned out it was for the short ankle-height socks which neither of us like, so I was able to resist. I'm not sure I would have passed it up if they were a length and style I wanted.

I should probably unsubscribe from some of these gear groups, but even if I'm not planning on buying gear, I still want to learn about it and keep up on things, because eventually I'll have to replace some stuff. I think this issue will mostly resolve itself once I'm FIREd (ONE MORE WEEK YA'LL!!) and will not have nearly so much idle time to waste scrolling through FB. I'll give it a few weeks and revisit.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #244 on: January 24, 2018, 02:00:43 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement on the jewelry temptations, diapasoun:)
About the books - I've adopted the one in and one out plan, the best and only thing that I ever did that helped me go from over seven large bookcases down to three medium-size ones.
I do love my books, although not to the point of a gazingus pin. Good books on Herbs - Aromatherapy - Herbal recipes or medicine are expensive and not easy to find. Over time I built a small collection on that and other subjects that interest me. I keep them, exchanging rarely for another, better book.

All the leisure reading-sci-fi, romance, top ten, thriller etc. is read and then immediately donated. I actually have a stack of books that I haven't read yet, doesn't happen often. We have a new 3-2-1 used bookstore and I picked up a stack of $1 and $3 books.
Unfortunately, our library is often sorely lacking in books about finance or anything else I find myself interested in - heck even jewelry making - there is practically nothing to choose from. Decorating books from the 60s? give me a break.

My next endeavor will entail reading the classics, hopefully, I can find a good source online and some at my library.

I'm with you that clothing is not my gazingus pin - I've planned my wardrobe on a yearly basis since I was ten - no joke:) It was born out of necessity and later it became a fun challenge.
I could probably do classes on how to go about it and come away with a great wardrobe suited to you and your lifestyle.

@Laura33 - Money is an emotional trigger for me - I am rarely rational about it. I totally get what you are saying, especially the time factor - for all intents and purposes I am out of time.
You are right, it does help to see the statements from the past four years and I have been looking at them obsessively. It is a clarifier and motivator.

Bottomline:
This is only the beginning of the year and I am frankly terrified that I can't make my goals happen because I can't control my spending habits when it comes to gemstones/jewelry. I will feel better once I see the final numbers for January - because that means I won the battle - one month down and 11 more months to go.

This is about as bada$$ as it gets, I left MMM creampuff territory because I am making one last push for two goals that are important to me. So I really hope this thread will continue to stay strong and supportive throughout all of 2018 - I need you guys!

@iowajess you wanna trade my gemstone/jewelry gazingus pin for your nailpolish addiction?:) It would totally solve my problem:)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #245 on: January 24, 2018, 02:19:12 PM »
My next endeavor will entail reading the classics, hopefully, I can find a good source online and some at my library.

If you're willing to read electronically (either on an ereader or on a computer screen), Project Gutenberg has pretty much ALL the classics, and they're completely free. PG's an open source site dedicated to getting out of print books into electronic format, and of course the popular ones got up there first. However, there's a really wide variety. One of my vices is medieval cookbooks, and they have a pretty sweet selection! So, if you're looking for more traditional classics, you've got a very good chance of finding them.

(Obviously, since of my vices is medieval cookbooks, I feel you on the specialty book life.)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #246 on: January 24, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »
Rosy, we can do it!!!

I’m starting to analyze my reasons for jewellery buying. A lot of it I seldom wear because I don’t like looking “showy”. But I love collecting it.

Iowajes - bravo! Way to exercise that resistance muscle!

Laura33 - good tip about multiplying by 25! There is also a free app (called “Pretirement”) and it does calculations to show you how far away you are from FIRE if you add or subtract certain purchases from your life.

DTaggart - woohoo! So close to FIRE! Let us know if that changes your ability to resist gazingus pins!

Rosy - does your library so interlibrary loans? Also, are you a university graduate who lives near a university? As an alumni you should be able to take out books from your alma matter and schools that have a partnership with it. +1 for Project Gutenberg! Classics you find for free (and copyright free!) http://www.gutenberg.org/

Also, you are SUPER BADASS! Good job on signing up for this and I know we can do it. Find a new hobby to replace the time you used to spend shopping for jewellery. Post here when you need support. We can do this!

Like yoda says... (I think)... “Do or do not. There is no ‘try’”.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #247 on: January 24, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »
I’m listening to an audiobook about addiction. I enjoy buying clothes, but I am/was addicted to buying jewellery!

The author summarizes some interesting points about addiction vs passion.

http://www.mindfulhub.com/passion-vs-addiction/

“Passion is generous because it’s not ego-driven.  Addiction is self-centered.  Passion gives and enriches, addiction is a thief.” (From “In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts” by Gabor Maté).

Anyways I’ve read a lot about shopping addiction and the formation of habits, and this book takes a unique look at addiction in general (although it focuses on drug addiction). Thought you guys might find it interesting!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/617702.In_the_Realm_of_Hungry_Ghosts

(Oh, but for you book buyers make sure to get it from the library!)

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #248 on: January 25, 2018, 05:48:42 AM »
Almost 1 month into 2018 and I'm on track for the following:

1. Not buying any clothes this year. I have multiples of everything in case something rips or gets ruined somehow.
2. Zero spend on bike parts and maintenance. Again, have multiples of extra stuff (grips, tires/tubes, helmets, etc). Also, fortunate enough to possess a gift card from my local bike shop in case something major happens like blowing out a drivetrain or breaking a frame.

Good luck to all!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2018, 06:59:47 AM »
Just for honesty, I'll report that I bought 5 yards of fabric and 10 pillow forms.  This cost me $100 and replaces the $600 worth of pillows the designer put into our room.  I have enough invisible zippers for all but 2 of them, and those I'll just do envelope style backs.

I'm so excited about the new living room.  (And instead of the $500 table that is apparently made from MDF, my husband bought $125 of supplies and will be building our table. He makes great furniture.)

This should be the ONLY fabric purchase this year- and I'm really considering it a pillow purchase.  I just wanted to pass out at the thought of spending that much on premade pillows.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!