General Discussion > Throw Down the Gauntlet

No Gazingus Pins for 2018!

(1/224) > >>

lifejoy:
Ok, if you’ve read “Your Money or Your Life”, then you’re familiar with gazingus pins. For the rest of ya: it’s the non-essential that you keep on buying even though you don’t need it, you already have some, and it’s just not necessary! It’s your kryponite, your habit, your addiction. Your collection. Your irrational obsession. I’ll post a more in-depth description below, but I think you get the idea.

I’ll be giving up jewellery purchases for 2018 (ack!). What will you be giving up? Consider this thread your support group. We will be firm and we will hold you accountable. Post here when you’re feeling weak or triumphant. Let’s give up buying gazingus pins for 2018! We can do it!

Here’s who is participating, and the gazingus pin they’re pledging to give up for a year:

☆⋆✮Lifejoy - Clothing (except bridesmaid outfits)
☆CheapskateWife - books, jewellery, clothes, and amazon purchases
☆⋆✮✧✪✬Iowajes / I'm a red panda- fabric and nail polish
⋆Vertkurt - watches
⋆✮✧Inkedup - coffee and tea (until home collection is used up)
☆⋆✮✪✬Middo - tools (unless in emergency)
☆⋆✮✧✪✬Happierathome - Tupperware
☆Harper - workout videos and no more than one workout video subscription site
☆Horsepoor - Horse blankets (barring massive destruction of a winter blanket that doesn't have a spare), Saddle pads, Riding breeches or boots, and kitchen gadgets
☆⋆✧✪✬Tris Prior - tea (until home collection is used) and no fun socks/tights
⋆Duchess - eating out junk food / sweets
☆Alleykat - all beauty-related items
⋆✮✧✪Poundwise - craft supplies
☆JanetJackson - energy drinks
☆⋆✮✧✪✬Laura33 - tea
☆✧Chaskavitch - grocery store chocolate, clothing
☆⋆✮✧✪✬Mspym - material or patterns
☆⋆✮✪✬Rosy - jewellery
☆⋆✮✧✪✬Diapasoun - books (unless needed for book club)
☆⋆✧✪✬Formerlydivorcedmom - books (exception: one per month), candles
☆✧✪✬Crustybadger - junk food bought at work
☆⋆✮✪Zeli2033 - books
☆Izybat - eating out
☆⋆✮✧✪✬RetiredAt63 - fibre
☆⋆DTaggart - outdoor gear
☆⋆✧✪✬Serendip - books and workshops/self-improvement courses
✧Gaja - pens, pencils, stationary
✮✧✪Maybebabymustache - GCs unless to be used immediately

lifejoy:
Discover Your Gazingus Pins
What things do you particularly like to buy, and buy often? What items are so hard to resist that you just can’t pass them by? Everyone has them …

For some people it’s ceramic figurines; for others it’s pens.
For some people it’s shoes; for others it’s earrings.
For some it’s sports memorabilia; for others it’s electronic gadgets.

We call these “gazingus pins.” They are those things you buy automatically, because it’s a habit, or because they make you feel a certain way. You can create categories to track gazingus pins and to monitor when you make unconscious choices out of emotion or habit.

How Do You Know if Something Is a Gazingus Pin?

Ask these questions:

Do I/we need this? Do I/we really want it?
Where would this item be on the fulfillment curve (survival, comfort, luxury, clutter) when I first buy it?
Where would this item be in another month? Two months? A year?

- https://yourmoneyoryourlife.weebly.com/discover-your-gazingus-pins.html

meadow lark:
I love the idea, and often say to myself when I want something, "this is just a gazingus pin."  I don't know why it helps give me perspective, but it really does. 
  I can't think of any category of things I buy like that anymore, but if one hits me I will post!

lifejoy:

--- Quote from: Meadow Lark on December 18, 2017, 06:39:41 PM ---I love the idea, and often say to myself when I want something, "this is just a gazingus pin."  I don't know why it helps give me perspective, but it really does. 
  I can't think of any category of things I buy like that anymore, but if one hits me I will post!

--- End quote ---

Haha that’s probably a good thing if you don’t have an obvious answer come to mind ;)

For me, it used to be sweets until I started tracking my spending and found out I was spending $20-40/week on chocolates and pastries! Now it’s jewellery but I’m ready to swear off it for 12 months and appreciate what I have.

meadow lark:
Food was a big one, but now that I am vegan and in a small city, there's nothing tempting I can eat at the bakery anyway!

I love jewelry too, but every time Inam tempted I remember how much I already have that I don't wear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version