Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189426 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #750 on: April 23, 2018, 06:42:17 AM »
Still on track for this month.  I have barely had 10 minutes to sew all year, so that is helping a lot with the fabric buying.
I'm trying to swatch through all my polishes, so that is helping there.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #751 on: April 23, 2018, 10:07:16 AM »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #752 on: April 23, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »
When your gazingus pin is leather products from Gucci: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.gq.com/story/buzz-bissinger-shopaholic-gucci-addiction/amp

Wow, quite the story. Over half a mil! The mind boggles..
"As any addict knows, impulsivity is the meal ticket of addiction. The more you do it, the more you do it."

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #753 on: April 23, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
GASP ...................
When your gazingus pin is leather products from Gucci: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.gq.com/story/buzz-bissinger-shopaholic-gucci-addiction/amp

It wasn't until the preparation of this story that I actually took a detailed look at the items I have purchased from 2010 through 2012. I was afraid, quite candidly, although a total of a quarter of a million dollars would not have fazed me.

I was somewhat off: $587,412.97.

Oh, wow - I thought I had problems:)
Modified to comment on the link.

Also updated my earlier comment:(
Since I blew it already this month can I order just one more thing>:) Just kidding! - Well, I did cave twice more and all I can say is that my head is spinning right now. Not even analyzing!
I'm ready to start over fresh in May - seven more days and I have another chance at a star! - right now I don't even believe that! I'm stumbling and slinking away until next month.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:05:01 AM by Rosy »

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #754 on: April 25, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »
UPDATE:
The saga continues, I am returning the jewelry I ordered.

It arrived yesterday and while it is lovely and truly a killer deal, the stone, Tsavorite, (which is what my collection is basically all about - the stones) looks identical to the Russian Chrome Diopside collection, (think Emeralds if you haven't heard of the stone), that I already own.
My main objective had been to own just one good quality Tsavorite, normally not in my price range.

I debated a bit - it would be nice to at least be able to say I own a Tsavorite, but meh, not when it looks identical to my Russian "Emerald" collection.
I slept on it, but I see no reason to keep it.
Like I said before, for me this one was an exception akin to a planned purchase.

However, the other two small purchases (under $50 each - auction) that I made later are definitely addiction type cave ins - both are earrings to go with sets that I already own. Felt good and guilty at the same time, like sneaking an ice cream cone when you are on a diet:)
Nevertheless, when they arrive I'll evaluate if they work with the two ensembles I intended them for - if not, they'll become gifts for two upcoming birthdays. 

I've thought about dropping out of the challenge, mainly because I've finally figured out where my problem lies. A bitter AHA moment - reality sux. I may have to make changes going forward, but for now I appreciate the three months of goldstars and I'll move past this one month of failure.

Stay strong everyone - only five more days to your next goldstar!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #755 on: April 25, 2018, 06:56:59 PM »

My main objective had been to own just one good quality Tsavorite, normally not in my price range.

What a pretty green stone.  Much prettier than my peridot birthstone.  Where do I petition to add it to the August birthstone list?   ;-)

Look at what a pretty ring it makes!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:00:07 PM by RetiredAt63 »

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #756 on: April 27, 2018, 11:43:36 AM »
OOOHHHHH:) - very pretty. Just don't tell me where to get it or how much it is - I don't want to know. Maybe next year - maybe never, I'll live:)

@RetiredAt63 - Good Peridot is beautiful - did you know that most of Cleopatras Emeralds were really Peridot?:), good Peridot practically glows in the dark.

I own some very fine Peridot pieces, beautiful apple green, (none are yellowish or olive or clouded) got it before the prices went up and while they still had quality big carat stones coming out of the mine.
It was a window of opportunity. What they are finding at the Hebei mine in China right now isn't as good in color and clarity - they used to have the best quality stones. India's Peridot is a tad olive and from what I heard about the stateside mine, it has some good stones, but only a small production.

I also have a few loose stones in the two, three and four-carat range that came with a random stone parcel I ordered on a whim about four years ago. I think I'll have to take a closer look at them - I never expected Peridot prices to go up or that the good stuff would be mined out this soon.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #757 on: April 27, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »
My baby’s birthstone is peridot! I have yet to find a peridot piece that tempts me.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #758 on: April 27, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »
My one peridot is a very pale green, you have to look close to see it has colour.  My Dad's birthstone is Emerald, I wish I had been born in May!

Are there only a few mines for peridot in the world?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #759 on: April 27, 2018, 11:49:15 AM »

I've thought about dropping out of the challenge, mainly because I've finally figured out where my problem lies. A bitter AHA moment - reality sux. I may have to make changes going forward, but for now I appreciate the three months of goldstars and I'll move past this one month of failure.

Stay strong everyone - only five more days to your next goldstar!

Care to elaborate? I’d love to hear more about the root of your addiction, especially as my own is so similar.

And I am really, really, REALLY impressed that you returned the jewellery you bought!!!!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #760 on: April 27, 2018, 12:50:06 PM »
Jewelry folks, y'all obviously know stones and their provenance very well. If I were trying to ethically source stones (i.e. minimal environmental damage and acceptable working conditions), how would I check up on that? A friend of mine is super into crystals and she doesn't want to buy stones that are, well, horrible. She's not here for very expensive stones, more things like the various quartzes, but either way -- I have no idea where to look to help her.

(I can also take this over into Ask a Mustachian and not derail this thread.)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #761 on: April 27, 2018, 02:00:51 PM »
Jewelry folks, y'all obviously know stones and their provenance very well. If I were trying to ethically source stones (i.e. minimal environmental damage and acceptable working conditions), how would I check up on that? A friend of mine is super into crystals and she doesn't want to buy stones that are, well, horrible. She's not here for very expensive stones, more things like the various quartzes, but either way -- I have no idea where to look to help her.

For her purposes, would labcreated stones satisfy?

What country does she live in?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #762 on: April 27, 2018, 02:20:31 PM »
My baby’s birthstone is peridot! I have yet to find a peridot piece that tempts me.

@lifejoy Here is one by EFFY that you might like. https://www.evine.com/Product/168-821

My one peridot is a very pale green, you have to look close to see it has colour.  My Dad's birthstone is Emerald, I wish I had been born in May!

Are there only a few mines for peridot in the world?

@RetiredAt63 Ah, I understand - a lack of color - no wonder you are underwhelmed.
To give you an idea:
Here is a current page with a variety of styles and price ranges - https://www.evine.com/search/?q=peridot+ring&icid=InternalSearch_Default_peridot+ring

You can tell there is a significant difference in the brilliance and the depth of color, a good Peridot is alive with color, add a specialty cut and you have eternal beauty.
BTW - Peridot is found in meteors as well - so it is indeed out of this world:) and it is never treated - it is simply cleaned and cut - a true gem:)

Yes, there are very few active Peridot mines in the world.

@diapasoun
That question requires more expertise than I have, but I can tell you that there is a clear Quartz stone called Herkimer Diamond out of I believe NY state.   The mine is owned and operated by a lady - a family business. HSN sometimes has their finished jewelry, but they sell other places and may have their own website.
I dare say they are an ethical outfit, and no one has stricter regulations for mines than the US and I believe Germany.
OK found it for ya, here is the website for the mine: https://www.herkimerdiamond.com/

She might be best off to look online for gemstone shows in her area or a gemstone society, both would offer better access and better prices and good information. They do vary greatly though and some only have beads where others specialize in minerals and specimen, but most have at least a small section for crystals - it's a start.

There is also a small village/family operation in Brazil that I am aware of that has the most awesome "untreated" quality amethysts - purple to die for:). I'll see if I can dig up the information and give you a link. There are lots of small mines in the US, sometimes just a man and his pic ax - you sort of find out as you get into gemstones:)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:53:42 PM by Rosy »

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #763 on: April 27, 2018, 02:44:58 PM »

Oh please that is a dirty word for any gemstone lover - lab created:) Just for edification lab created means it is totally lab grown, not that they can't be pretty and they are cheap.
If you use them for healing or similar purposes you certainly want the real thing and preferably untreated. If you just want to hang a pretty glass bauble in the window - then ouch - lab created will do:) 

There are also enhanced gemstones (about 95% of all gemstones are enhanced in some way or treated and/or have coatings).

Some quartz is treated - some are left natural. Amethyst, for instance, can be both. It might be heated or receive a coating, but of course, the best is untreated and it varies greatly in color - the best color is whatever you prefer:). But, you would want it at least eye clean, no inclusions floating around inside the stone.

Emeralds are oiled and are allowed inclusions, the best literally have none visible to the eye, and Rubies might be FF - fissure filled, they carve out the impurities and fill it with something like glass color. So if you see FF in the description it means fissure filled.
Burmese rubies are left totally natural - no treatment.....

Sorry lifejoy:) didn't mean to interfere.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #764 on: April 27, 2018, 02:47:04 PM »
That question requires more expertise than I have, but I can tell you that there is a clear Quartz stone called Herkimer Diamond out of I believe NY state.   The mine is owned and operated by a lady - a family business. HSN sometimes has their finished jewelry, but they sell other places and may have their own website.
I dare say they are an ethical outfit, and no one has stricter regulations for mines than the US and I believe Germany.

She might be best off to look online for gemstone shows in her area or a gemstone society, both would offer better access and better prices and good information. They do vary greatly though and some only have beads where others specialize in minerals and specimen, but most have at least a small section for crystals - it's a start.

There is also a small village/family operation in Brazil that I am aware of that has the most awesome "untreated" quality amethysts - purple to die for:). I'll see if I can dig up the information and give you a link. There are lots of small mines in the US, sometimes just a man and his pic ax - you sort of find out as you get into gemstones:)
I guess I better stop derailing this thread, before I get in trouble:).

Herkimer diamonds! I grew up in NY and so have been to Herkimer. :) I can't believe I didn't think of them.

The gemstone shows + societies are a good idea. We definitely have those in this area. She's interested in most things that aren't already jewelry -- points, tumbled stones, and "raw" stones would probably all do well.

Keep yourself safe here ;) and thanks for the info!

I believe they would, although I'm not 100%. She's also in the US -- west coast.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:48:59 PM by diapasoun »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #765 on: April 27, 2018, 02:54:16 PM »
Oh please that is a dirty word for any gemstone lover - lab created:) Just for edification lab created means it is totally lab grown, not that they can't be pretty and they are cheap.
If you use them for healing or similar purposes you certainly want the real thing and preferably untreated. If you just want to hang a pretty glass bauble in the window - then ouch - lab created will do:) 

There are also enhanced gemstones (about 95% of all gemstones are enhanced in some way or treated and/or have coatings).

Some quartz is treated - some are left natural. Amethyst, for instance, can be both. It might be heated or receive a coating, but of course, the best is untreated and it varies greatly in color - the best color is whatever you prefer:). But, you would want it at least eye clean, no inclusions floating around inside the stone.

Emeralds are oiled and are allowed inclusions, the best literally have none visible to the eye, and Rubies might be FF - fissure filled, they carve out the impurities and fill it with something like glass color. So if you see FF in the description it means fissure filled.
Burmese rubies are left totally natural - no treatment.....

Sorry lifejoy:) didn't mean to interfere.

The healing bit is why I'm not sure if she's okay with lab grown gems -- she's definitely using these for woo-woo purposes. ;) And since I don't know anything about woo-woo uses of stones, I have no clue if that would preclude it for her.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #766 on: April 27, 2018, 06:11:57 PM »
@diapasoun A really good friend of mine in Germany works with healing stones. I don't really know much about it, I just happen to love stones, period - riverstones or gemstones in a way it is all the same to me. Incredulous, but true:).
I saw that the Herkimer Diamond which is a Quartz is supposed to have excellent healing powers because of the crystal structure which is different from other crystals. Have her do a google search.

My other friend has crystals that are bathed, ahem, I mean cleansed in the moonlight on a full moon ...:)

Yes, for healing stones they have to be as they came out of the earth - they can only be cleaned and cut. So Herkimer is apparently an excellent choice, maybe I should order some for my friend as a gift.
Although I know she used a black stone, not sure what kind, that thing literally whittled away and started having holes in it when she used it - definitely woo woo, how is that even possible?
She said you have to hold the stone in your hand and it will call out to you if it is the right one. I tried it and the one that called out to me turned out to be a bloodstone, that thing heated up in my hand like nobody's business.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #767 on: April 28, 2018, 07:21:51 AM »
Rosy, a lot of the peridots still had that olive tinge, but some were gorgeous.  And of course  the one I liked the most had peridots as an accent.   ;-)  And I think it would look good on a short stubby finger, don't you?    ;-)

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #768 on: April 28, 2018, 02:42:09 PM »
I am SO looking forward to earning my star on Monday!  Can I get a gold sparkly one?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #769 on: April 28, 2018, 04:02:09 PM »
Lol Rosy I know lab-created is blasphemous but it would make sourcing ethical stones easier!

I know there are some places in the US where you can go gem digging. Maybe that would be possible?

Anyways I’m excited to dole out stars! This  challenge has been going nearly 1/3 of a year!!!! Wooooot!

Ok if anyone has a suggestion for what kind of star should come next, comment with it :)
It has to be one we haven’t used yet.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #770 on: April 29, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »
So, I've been avoiding Target, Walmart, and various thrift stores since we started this challenge, because I tend to get sucked into the clothes section and waste hours and $ looking for clearance gems and things I can modify, etc.

DH and I get "spontaneous" money each month - $100 for him, $75 for me (my other $25 goes to GiveWell). 

Feb - spent $47.40 on the Crossfit Open and non-stick baking sheets that I use all the time
March - spent $10.17 on some unknown thing at Walmart (sad that I can't remember what it was - my budget line says "Walmart - stuff?")
April - spent $25.25 on a movie date with my sister and admission to a petting zoo farm when my parents came up to visit

That's ridiculous and amazing.  I'm thinking a lot more about what I'm spending my money on, especially after I couldn't remember what I purchased at Walmart - obviously nothing life changing!

Now I just have to start keeping track of unnecessary grocery shopping (above and beyond the snacks I'm not buying).  I bet I can cut out a LOT.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #771 on: April 29, 2018, 12:58:19 PM »

On the north west coast of Norway, there is a large island consisting almost entirely of olivine. Peridot is the gem grade quality of olivine. They mine the olivine for industrial purposes, within Norwegian labour laws (way stricter than the US ones), and with very strict environmental standards (here is an article about an energy efficiency project: http://www.mynewsdesk.com/no/enova-sf/news/energiledelse-ga-store-besparelser-139102). There is a local visiting center, where you can search for your own peridots, or buy jewelry from the local goldsmith. https://www.visitnorway.no/listings/norsk-olivinsenter-(nos)/19230/

This is the queen's jewelry, made from Åheim peridot: http://www.buggeauthen.no/spesialarbeid/hkh-dronning-sonja-sitt-halskjede/

I'm doing quite well with my challenge. Every so often, I find myself in a book shop, perusing the stationary shelf. But so far, I have managed to walk away without buying anything. being part of this challenge does help.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #772 on: April 29, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »
Still on track here.  I did actually buy two boxes of tea (black caffeinated and green decaf) because I was unexpected called out of town to take care of my grandmother and figured that was better than trying to find a Starbucks every day.  I felt ridiculously guilty buying them!  If I had thought ahead, I’d have packed some of my stuff to go with me, but it was all very complicated and last-minute, so I didn’t.  But despite feeling guilty, I have decided that it was not a gazingus pin, because I was just making sure I had some tea and not just adding to my stash at home (and in fact, I drank all but a few bags while I was there, and finished the rest when I got home).

I was also very very tempted today - I realized I am out of decaf green and wanted to replenish.  But I realized I have three boxes of decaf black (which I don’t drink because I find it insipid).  These boxes epitomize my gazingus pins, because I bought a box to make sure I had some for guests, and then over time bought two more because I wasn’t paying attention to what I already had.  So as a matter of principle, I am making myself drink two of those before any decaf replacements are allowed. 

But I still want my decaf green, dammit.  So I am definitely looking forward to my star this month!!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #773 on: April 29, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »
Retiredat63 - I like all sorts of styles, elongated may or may not work, depending:) Occasionally I see a ring style and I know this one is for me (and it always is:), but generally, no matter how good it looks online I'm never sure until I see it on my finger.
I have small hands too, but they've changed a lot due to arthritis-they broadened, ugh, I used to wear a size 7, now I wear a size 10, size nine on a good day and on one finger I can still wear a size eight.

gaja - Oh, I love that peridot necklace in gold - that stone does not look olive at all.

lifejoy - I feel a bit adrift going into May - we'll see.

CONGRATS to everyone who scored a gold star in April!!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:58:10 PM by Rosy »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #774 on: April 29, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »
Stayed strong through April.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #775 on: April 29, 2018, 09:52:59 PM »
No books, no workshops for me this month--success!
Another star of any variety is appreciated @lifejoy

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #776 on: April 29, 2018, 10:39:09 PM »
I've earned my star this month. I did buy a book -- as a birthday gift -- but I feel okay about it; it was planned months in advance, and not that sort of acquisitive "I want this on my shelves" purchase that I'm fighting against. Book club books were all from the library this month, woo!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #777 on: April 30, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »
Gaja, that necklace and peridot are beautiful.  Jewellery is definitely not a gazingus pin for me, I think and hesitate and usually don't buy.

I was "good" this month, avoided temptation, I earned a star.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #778 on: April 30, 2018, 08:10:46 AM »
I get a star for April!

But I have to admit, I'm really glad no one in this thread is posting pictures of beautiful nail polishes.  Talk about temptation jewelry people.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #779 on: April 30, 2018, 09:14:03 AM »
I get a star for April, at last! However, I have made no progress at all in using up my stash... part of the reason I didn't make craft purchases is that I didn't use or think about my crafts!

I believe there's another thread for that, but I'm too lazy to find it right now. Aiming to finish some projects without buying anything.  So my goal is to finish some knitting (maybe while waiting to pick up kids from activities) and yet not get more craft supplies. That is, decouple my satisfying craft hobbies from my unsatisfying shopping/hoarding hobby.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #780 on: April 30, 2018, 05:38:20 PM »
I earned my second star this year for the month of April!!  I was hungry at work and had money, and VERY tempted too... but I resisted the siren call of the vending machine goodies!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #781 on: May 01, 2018, 07:21:29 AM »
I get a star for April!

But I have to admit, I'm really glad no one in this thread is posting pictures of beautiful nail polishes.  Talk about temptation jewelry people.

Oh so true:), but we are working on a steely resolve:) or is a willowy approach better? ... lots of bending (the rules?:) but no final break down - steel snaps!, LOL.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #782 on: May 01, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »
I get a star this month!  No candle purchases (although I forgot to burn any of my existing candles either....) and no book purchases, even though I was in the bookstore THREE TIMES this month.  I bought gift cards for my daughter to give friends at two different birthday parties, and the third time, my daughter wanted to buy a new book with her money.  It was new enough that she had to ask an employee to get it out of the back because they hadn't put it on the shelves yet.

We've been to the library on average twice a week.

I may actually be making progress on making more mindful purchases :)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #783 on: May 04, 2018, 02:23:29 AM »
I made it through! AND I even did some sewing in April- shortening all the legs on my shorts so they look cute not frumpy.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #784 on: May 04, 2018, 04:56:25 AM »
I've been following this thread all year and finally thought of my gazingus pin!  Mine is fun, colorful pens.  Luckily I'm not into any that are too fancy/expensive, but am always tempted to buy them even though I have about 30 already.  I realized this on vacation last week (man does Germany have a lot of nice stationary stores all over the place!) and managed to think of this thread and resist buying any.

So, no buying new colorful pens (or any pens) until I actually run out.  I think this will take at least through the end of the year, based on my current stash.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #785 on: May 04, 2018, 07:19:02 AM »
I ran out of base coat...

So now I'm trying to figure out if I go the rest of the year without polishing my nails  (horrible!), polish without a base coat (bumpy, chippy, and stain my nails), or buy one and lose a star :(

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #786 on: May 04, 2018, 09:04:03 AM »
I'm still on the wagon and, to be honest, have not really been that tempted.

Except when I saw the socks with pictures of a goth/punk version of Rosie the Riveter giving the finger. I mean, seriously!! Didn't buy them though.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #787 on: May 04, 2018, 07:01:30 PM »

So now I'm trying to figure out if I go the rest of the year without polishing my nails  (horrible!), polish without a base coat (bumpy, chippy, and stain my nails), or buy one and lose a star :(

Honestly? I wouldn't count this towards losing a star. It's like running out of laundry soap or umm bread. It's not a new tempting colour or sparkly thing. It's a precondition to using up what you already have. Of course, if you use this as an opportunity to grab multiple base coats or other colours then starloss away.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #788 on: May 05, 2018, 10:18:39 AM »

See if you can find someone who will trade base coat for a bottle or two of a color you don't use?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #789 on: May 05, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
Have been putting books in my amazon cart as a way to feel like I am 'getting them' without purchasing..also that way I also won't forget the titles.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #790 on: May 06, 2018, 03:30:53 PM »
Came REALLY close to caving today, with all of the Mother's Day gift card specials. Almost bought $100 of Starbucks credit to earn a $30 Sephora gift card. Didn't. I still have money left on my Starbucks card. I can top up as needed when it gets closer, if/when I run out. Starbucks is a rare, usually travel based splurge for us.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #791 on: May 08, 2018, 03:22:25 PM »
I’ve been dreading telling you all that I didn’t make it last month!

Caved right near the end because DH strongly suggested buying me a piece of jewellery for Mother’s Day. I am only human! Haha. Oh well. I’m staying strong on the clothing front.

But I do find it hard to find new enthusiasm to continue, now that the floodgates gave opened.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #792 on: May 08, 2018, 03:25:25 PM »

Caved right near the end because DH strongly suggested buying me a piece of jewellery for Mother’s Day. I am only human! Haha. Oh well. I’m staying strong on the clothing front.

But I do find it hard to find new enthusiasm to continue, now that the floodgates gave opened.

The floodgates have NOT opened. You found a small leak. You can patch this leak up.

Think of the many reasons you have to not buy jewelry -- saving money for other purposes; feeling mastery over your desires; enjoying the beautiful collection you already have; and so on and so on.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #793 on: May 08, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »

The floodgates have NOT opened. You found a small leak. You can patch this leak up.

Think of the many reasons you have to not buy jewelry -- saving money for other purposes; feeling mastery over your desires; enjoying the beautiful collection you already have; and so on and so on.

I’ll divy our stars soon! I need to regroup.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #794 on: May 08, 2018, 06:55:33 PM »

The floodgates can be closed. After my slip in the middle of last month, I remained strong, including not loading a digital Doritos coupon to my loyalty card and buying Bud Light instead of expensive craft beer. So you have a whole new month, and a whole seven months after that. Think of damage containment instead of dam breaching. You are the dam, not an innocent fish getting washed downstream. Push the button to close those floodgates, and redirect the water through the turbines to generate power.

I'm looking forward to earning my first star this month.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #795 on: May 08, 2018, 08:47:10 PM »

One piece is not a floodgate! Onwards and upwards from here :)

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #796 on: May 08, 2018, 08:49:54 PM »
Earned a star for April, but it was difficult.

When I said I had a LOT of tea, I meant it. As much as I'm drinking on a regular basis, the stash has only been moderately depleted. Geez.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #797 on: May 09, 2018, 06:49:57 AM »
I bought some pajamas and shoes for our toddler, and it seems to have scratched my clothes-buying itch for now. They were reasonably necessary - all he has are footed fleece jammies, which are very summer-inappropriate, and one pair of Keens that he wears ALL THE TIME.  Now he has cute new (to us) dino jammies and some red sandals that he loves, and I still haven't bought myself any clothes, yay!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #798 on: May 09, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
I had fibre exposure recently, kept my hands behind my back and didn't touch (mostly), stayed strong.  Kept saying in my head - moratorium, moratorium.

We can do this, everyone!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #799 on: May 09, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
So far, so good, but a fountain pen is calling my name. Must resist!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!