Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189481 times)

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #550 on: March 01, 2018, 08:47:22 AM »
Reporting in to claim my gold star for February!

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #551 on: March 01, 2018, 08:51:43 AM »
STAR PLEASE!!!!!!!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #552 on: March 01, 2018, 08:52:12 AM »
I get a star for February.
My favorite nail polish brand just released their spring collection....OMG so much pretty; I am resisting.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #553 on: March 01, 2018, 02:41:32 PM »
One star for me please.

Holding strong on the art workshops..even though I read about many appealing ones. I definitely get mental stimulation from them so am working out ways to keep myself motivated in other ways..

Also @lifejoy , I think you have me doubled up on the list if you could remove the first one (initially my username was astak) thank you!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:09:41 PM by Serendip »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #554 on: March 01, 2018, 09:02:19 PM »
One star for me please.

Holding strong on the art workshops..even though I read about many appealing ones. I definitely get mental stimulation from them so am working out ways to keep myself motivated in other ways..

Also @MaybeBabyMustache, I think you have me doubled up on the list if you could remove the first one (initially my username was astak) thank you!

I think you're looking for @lifejoy :-)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #555 on: March 02, 2018, 12:32:22 AM »
One star for me please.

Also @MaybeBabyMustache, I think you have me doubled up on the list if you could remove the first one (initially my username was astak) thank you!

I think you're looking for @lifejoy :-)

oops, you are correct :) thanks!

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #556 on: March 02, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »
I have failed this month -- no star for me! 

I have had some very troubling times this past week, and a bad weekend.   Went to work today without a proper breakfast or lunch and feeling emotionally overwhelmed.  At the first break  I thought, "What would really pick me up would be a nice jolt of cheesy salty oil crackers!"  AKA Doritos.   I'll be honest, they didn't solve any of my problems, but I did feel good eating them, even though I knew it meant no stars for me.

Gosh, no star for me this month and I"m OK with that -- but geez, I should have realized I caved on Feb 26th -- only two days till the end of the month!   Maybe that would have held me out longer!!

Anyhow, I am on track to try again in March!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #557 on: March 02, 2018, 12:14:49 PM »
I got a care package in the mail yesterday that included a pair of socks that say "I am a delicate fucking flower." I laughed hysterically.

I totally want those socks!!

One of the guys at my gym -- total badass -- has a t-shirt with pink writing/drawing that says "I'm a unicorn, damn it!"  I love him.  :-)

And a gold star for me too -- no tea purchases, despite walking by several tempting displays in the grocery store!  I actually really feel like I earned this one; the first month felt really good to clear out a bunch of partially-drunk boxes, and I almost felt guilty accepting a star for it.  But this month, man, drinking the "meh" teas really started to grate.  But I did it!  And the good news is if I keep it up, I may have only another month or two before I clear out everything else and get to buy some replacements, so there's an incentive -- I mean, if I can't hold out for 3-4 months, that is total wuss-level.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #558 on: March 02, 2018, 06:30:55 PM »
Checking in to report that no tea or coffee purchases were made during the month of February! Drinking down the stash continues...

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #559 on: March 03, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »
Can I claim my gold star for February please?

Definitely didn’t buy any clothing for my little one although was tempted a couple of times.

I’m finding it difficult to draw clear boundaries around buying snacks while out and about. I’ve avoided making unnecessary purchases in this category while on my own but we’ve made some unplanned food purchases as a family. It doesn’t seem fair to force this challenge on my husband though. The meals out were further compounded by being away on holiday (i.e., vacation) last week.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:00:25 AM by Duchess »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #560 on: March 04, 2018, 04:12:52 PM »
Stars will be added ASAP!

In the meantime, I did NOT go into the jewellery store that had signs that said: SALE! Up to 80% off! Everything must go!

Gah. I’m staying strong!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #561 on: March 04, 2018, 09:23:15 PM »
Bravo, Duchess! I only have junk food/sweets/eating out written for you. Should I be adding “kids clothes” or something?

Inkedup - curious: how much do you think you used to spend on tea each month, prior to this challenge? And yay, star!

Laura33 - any plans to find cheaper tea options for when you are allowed to purchase? (Warning: not trying to make you start shopping now!)

I think you tea people are proof that every dollar counts and adds up. My major pin being jewellery makes tea seem CHEAP but I know it’s just an illusion! ;) Great job for making it through the month, Laura!

CrustyBadger - it is in some ways harder to keep going after a misstep than when you’re totally cold turkey. I’m really impressed by you and could totally see you making it the rest of the year!

Serendip - changed! And here I thought you had a twin ;) Great job on February! Sounds like you faced a lot of temptation and held strong!

Iowajes - you are the bomb!!! If you’re anything like me, willpower + motherhood is a big LOL sometimes... SO HARD!!! (Iowajes and I both have babies.)

Zeli - books are the best and you are even better!! Way to go!

Tris - have you counted how many socks you own? Great job on resisting socks AND tea!

Rosy - I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you being in this challenge. We could have our very own thread: jewellery addicts anonymous. You did so well this month! And fate helped! I’m so impressed that you’re meeting your savings goals.

Poundwise - lol whoops. I shall exchange your January star for a February one :)
That ok with you?
And perhaps I should give people stars ahead of time... it sucks to lose something that you feel is already yours! Haha jk! But great job!

Formerly divorced Mom - no candles, either? Way to go!! As for buying cookie dough.. it’s not smart but sometimes I give the kids money and tell them to keep their hot dogs / cookies / chocolates / whatever. I’m spendy though... love throwing away my money to deserving kids haha

I think it’s really cool that your son has joined the challenge, without you even making him! Maybe you could make it very easy for him to earn the money? Lots of little job options? So cool. Part of what motivates me is my long-term goal of being a good role model for my daughter. My mom loves deals and shopping and I have memories of “Can we GO now???!” And I don’t want babyjoy to see my life as very consumerist and superficial. (No shade on my mom - she’s great! But is a bit addicted to shopping like 90% of the western world...)

Mspym - great going :)

Happierathome - I know you well enough that I’m not surprised you got a star! Is willpower easy-ish for you, or is there a struggle? How’s it going for you?

Middo - I’m so impressed. Tools are far easier to rationalize than another diamond ring! Ha!!

Horsepoor - I think while it doesn’t mean a star for February, I think it is a win for Mustachian living: you made a very conscious purchase and limited yourself from frivolous spending. Go, you!!

Diapasoun - woohoo! Great job! I wonder if you could get your book club titles far enough in advance that you could put holds on the books with plenty of time to spare?

RetiredAt63 - way to go! And I’m laughing because I’m still picturing a gazingus pin of edible fibre. Oops. Yarn etc! My mistake ;)
And great job!

DTaggart - congrats on FIRE and February! It’s really interesting to hear about how it’s affected your purchases. Lifestyle change can do that. I find I care less about superficial purchases now that I’m on maternity leave. No point in buying expensive and nice things to wear while I’m a poop slave ;)

Whew. I think that was everyone? Let me know if I missed you! Stop waiting to hear from a few people... come out, come out, wherever you are!

Update from me: I’m selling a ring and have had a few bites but haven’t been able to meet prospective buyers because: BABY. I’m ok with that. I think I will try again to sell the ring in a few months when it’s (hopefully) easier to leave baby with a sitter. Sigh. Sucks to miss out on a potential $1400 though...

Clothes I’m doing fine with. I crave new nursing tops because I’m wearing the same five 24/7 but babyjoy is nursing less often so I think I can wear my normal clothes more often and it’ll be less of a big deal. Cool. And I have two clothing swaps come up, so that will help. AND I’m really enjoying having a real true capsule wardrobe and how easy, simple, and clean it is. Yep.

Ok goodnight!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #562 on: March 05, 2018, 07:30:43 AM »
@lifejoy We send out the titles for our book club about a month in advance, which is plenty of time for holds to come in... provided the book is in the system. One of the books this month is not. :( So, I'll have to use the book club clause for the first time.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #563 on: March 05, 2018, 08:48:17 AM »
@lifejoy , way to go for not stopping at the jewelry store! 

Formerly divorced Mom - no candles, either? Way to go!! As for buying cookie dough.. it’s not smart but sometimes I give the kids money and tell them to keep their hot dogs / cookies / chocolates / whatever. I’m spendy though... love throwing away my money to deserving kids haha

I think it’s really cool that your son has joined the challenge, without you even making him! Maybe you could make it very easy for him to earn the money? Lots of little job options? So cool. Part of what motivates me is my long-term goal of being a good role model for my daughter. My mom loves deals and shopping and I have memories of “Can we GO now???!” And I don’t want babyjoy to see my life as very consumerist and superficial. (No shade on my mom - she’s great! But is a bit addicted to shopping like 90% of the western world...)

I didn't buy any candles either.    Cub Scouts is great at letting people pay for popcorn and send it to troops overseas; I wonder if the cookie dough people do the same thing?

My son gets a regular allowance for inside chores, and I'm paying him to do yard work.  I broke my foot and can't do it, so he gets money based on how much he chooses to do - weeding, planting, putting out mulch (which is uberfun, because you get to be dirty!).

I have been pondering the comments on this thread about books and why we keep them, so last night I made yet another pass through one of my bookshelves.  I put 12 books in the Goodwill box, and set aside another 30 that I enjoy but that I never think about when I'm ready to reread an old favorite.  I'll give myself one month - any of those 30 that aren't read in that time go in the box, and of any that I do read, I can only keep a max of 5, IF I truly think I'll proactively reread it again.  Next month I'll work on the next bookshelf.  This is going to keep me busy for most of the year.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #564 on: March 05, 2018, 07:34:21 PM »
@lifejoy We send out the titles for our book club about a month in advance, which is plenty of time for holds to come in... provided the book is in the system. One of the books this month is not. :( So, I'll have to use the book club clause for the first time.

I was in a book club that was devout about library usage and not buying books. Any chance you could borrow the book from a keen reader that is planning on buying?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #565 on: March 05, 2018, 07:35:34 PM »
@lifejoy , way to go for not stopping at the jewelry store! 

I didn't buy any candles either.    Cub Scouts is great at letting people pay for popcorn and send it to troops overseas; I wonder if the cookie dough people do the same thing?

My son gets a regular allowance for inside chores, and I'm paying him to do yard work.  I broke my foot and can't do it, so he gets money based on how much he chooses to do - weeding, planting, putting out mulch (which is uberfun, because you get to be dirty!).

I have been pondering the comments on this thread about books and why we keep them, so last night I made yet another pass through one of my bookshelves.  I put 12 books in the Goodwill box, and set aside another 30 that I enjoy but that I never think about when I'm ready to reread an old favorite.  I'll give myself one month - any of those 30 that aren't read in that time go in the box, and of any that I do read, I can only keep a max of 5, IF I truly think I'll proactively reread it again.  Next month I'll work on the next bookshelf.  This is going to keep me busy for most of the year.

I do something similar with my books. It is my reality check!

And thanks for the props :)
I am getting better at this!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #566 on: March 05, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »

I was in a book club that was devout about library usage and not buying books. Any chance you could borrow the book from a keen reader that is planning on buying?

Unfortunately very unlikely. :( The club is small. There are two folks besides me who attend pretty much every month. One does almost exclusively ebooks (and is likely to ebook this one, since her bookshelf is currently full and she's not highly invested in this one). The other lives about 30 miles from us, and 60 miles round trip is not cost effective when I can get the paperback used. I'd rather enact the book club clause and spend less overall.

I do have time, so I'm not rushing out to get the book in case something pops up.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #567 on: March 05, 2018, 08:36:03 PM »

Unfortunately very unlikely. :( The club is small. There are two folks besides me who attend pretty much every month. One does almost exclusively ebooks (and is likely to ebook this one, since her bookshelf is currently full and she's not highly invested in this one). The other lives about 30 miles from us, and 60 miles round trip is not cost effective when I can get the paperback used. I'd rather enact the book club clause and spend less overall.

I do have time, so I'm not rushing out to get the book in case something pops up.

Oh! Buying a used paperback is pretty darn legit. Props! Just trying to help you think out all the potential options, but I can see you’ve been there and done that!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #568 on: March 06, 2018, 06:30:20 AM »
Yay - we are all moving in the right direction, star or no star!:)

Just want to say that I'm pretty impressed with horsepoor even though officially it was a star-less month for her in Feb.

@lifejoy - oh wow - you really did not even enter that 80% off store closing?:) I'm not sure I could have resisted. HIGH FIVE! Good luck with the ring sale, may I ask what venue you are using?

@formerlydivorcedmom - I like that you are re-thinking your book stash. Again, this comes down to not just mindful acquisition, but also re-thinking mindless possession. Once it lives in my house for three weeks I don't really "see" things anymore.
Re-evaluating and de-cluttering is an ongoing battle.
FWIW - I'll be tackling at least one of my bookshelves this month.

Update: No serious temptations - yet. Not sure if that is really due to changing habits or because I've had one money set down after another since Mar 1.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #569 on: March 06, 2018, 06:31:17 AM »
Laura33 - any plans to find cheaper tea options for when you are allowed to purchase? (Warning: not trying to make you start shopping now!)

Yeah, I have to admit, my first thought was, "oooohhh, good idea, let me see what's out there!"  :-)  Yeah, no, not yet.  :-)

Seriously, I haven't thought that far ahead.  I am just tired of being surrounded by the mental clutter of stuff I don't really like; it means every time I open the cabinet, I think, "oh, yeah, I gotta drink that one of these days" instead of "which deliciousness shall I enjoy today?"  So right now, I just want fewer -- I want a simplified cabinet and to break myself of the habit of just picking up whatever looks good as a treat.

The reality is that most of my tea isn't too expensive -- we're talking Tazo-level for everyday, not froofy fancy stuff.*  So maybe the answer is going to be to have my basic categories of everyday drinking teas, and then have one slot for froofy teas; that way I can still try something new/different/fancy, but just one at a time, and I need to drink it all before trying something else.  But it's still more about self-control than money.

PS -- Awesome job walking away from that sale!!

*Don't get me wrong -- I love froofy fancy teas.  I'm just too cheap to drink them every day, especially given how much I drink. :-)  And on the flip side, I'm not willing to go cheaper -- believe me when I say that I have tried every cheap brand of tea in the grocery store, and Tazo is about the level that brings me daily happiness.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #570 on: March 06, 2018, 06:53:37 AM »
Yay, I got to go to my clothes swap!  I came home with less than half of what I brought - two pairs of pants (one of which is green); two pairs of shorts, because I currently have one pair that fits; three shirts, one of which is BROWN, so I don't know how that'll go; and one pair of lularoe leggings for my sister :)  I'm already wearing one of the shirts I got to work, and it's both comfortable and flattering, so I'm for sure happy with at least one of my finds.

Alas, no stars for me for February. I bought two cookies for myself at Sprouts last week because they opened a new little gourmet "buy it by the lb" cookie stand thing.  I ended up getting them for free, because the cashier couldn't figure out how to code it, but I still intended to purchase them :(  Carmelita bars are just so good!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #571 on: March 06, 2018, 08:43:06 AM »
@rosy - having the most luck with Facebook marketplace, interestingly enough. I’ve had bites but I’ve been unable to meet buyers due to baby (and the fact that I listed the ring in a major city I live 1 hour away from... knowing that I would get more bites there, and we pass through that city frequently). Oh well. Maybe I’ll try to sell it when babyjoy can be babysat more easily.

Laura33 - I have only bought tazo with a coupon, because it’s too expensive for me (because I had to save money for DIAMONDS lol) Thanks for the props

Yeah tazo seems to be a good mix between quality and affordability. Next time someone gifts you a Starbucks gift card, maybe save it up for when you need to buy your next box of tea? Maybe the Starbucks would sell you a box

Chaskavitch - coooool! Sounds like you did well at the clothing swap! Also, that is very honourable to admit you intended to buy your free cookies!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #572 on: March 06, 2018, 09:26:47 AM »
Laura33 - I have only bought tazo with a coupon, because it’s too expensive for me . . . . Next time someone gifts you a Starbucks gift card, maybe save it up for when you need to buy your next box of tea? Maybe the Starbucks would sell you a box

Alas, Starbucks no longer sells Tazo.  But I figured out it costs me about 70 cents a day for 1-2 pots, and it's the only non-alcoholic thing I drink, so I give myself a pass on that little splurge.  ;-)  [To be more precise, I tell myself I'm still doing better than DH, who insists on getting 2-3 Diet Pepsis from the vending machine at work for $1 a pop!]

IDK, maybe when I'm FIRE and "on a fixed income" (and don't have free tea at work any more!) I'll care more.  Or, you know, maybe not.  ;-)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #573 on: March 06, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »

Oh! Buying a used paperback is pretty darn legit. Props! Just trying to help you think out all the potential options, but I can see you’ve been there and done that!

Haha I appreciate it! One needs many angles, and I had forgotten to think through whether I could borrow it from someone this month (I've done it before with other books).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #574 on: March 06, 2018, 10:55:08 AM »
March has been a high fibre exposure month - and I am holding firm. 

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #575 on: March 06, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »
Watches are my pins. I just don't know why, but I'm always looking at watches to buy even though I have 5 already and can only wear one at a time.

Holding strong...not a single watch purchase this year. Been resisting all the new micro brand releases!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #576 on: March 06, 2018, 04:32:49 PM »
Laura33 - I have only bought tazo with a coupon, because it’s too expensive for me . . . . Next time someone gifts you a Starbucks gift card, maybe save it up for when you need to buy your next box of tea? Maybe the Starbucks would sell you a box

Alas, Starbucks no longer sells Tazo.  But I figured out it costs me about 70 cents a day for 1-2 pots, and it's the only non-alcoholic thing I drink, so I give myself a pass on that little splurge.  ;-)  [To be more precise, I tell myself I'm still doing better than DH, who insists on getting 2-3 Diet Pepsis from the vending machine at work for $1 a pop!]

IDK, maybe when I'm FIRE and "on a fixed income" (and don't have free tea at work any more!) I'll care more.  Or, you know, maybe not.  ;-)

Tea is much cheaper than pop, and diamonds, and books even! I’d say you’re doing just fine!! ;)

I gotta always ask the tough questions though :D

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #577 on: March 06, 2018, 04:33:24 PM »

Yesssss!!!!!! Good job.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #578 on: March 06, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »
Watches are my pins. I just don't know why, but I'm always looking at watches to buy even though I have 5 already and can only wear one at a time.

Holding strong...not a single watch purchase this year. Been resisting all the new micro brand releases!

Oh snap. Do you hang out on watchuseek? If you don’t... I would say don’t start until 2019 ;)

And I’ll give you a star once I get to a computer!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #579 on: March 06, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »

I had to read this a few times; the use of "fibre" and "firm" in the same sentence suggested a completely different topic of discussion.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #580 on: March 06, 2018, 05:13:52 PM »

I had to read this a few times; the use of "fibre" and "firm" in the same sentence suggested a completely different topic of discussion.

Hahaha I’m glad I’m not the only one that had that thought!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #581 on: March 06, 2018, 05:14:55 PM »

Hahaha I’m glad I’m not the only one that had that thought!

Maybe it's related to being in the "feeding baby solids" stage of parenting :-P

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #582 on: March 06, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
Lifejoy: The amount I spent on tea varied, but my average would be anywhere from $30-50 per month. The teas I drink seem expensive but average out to less than $1 per serving when you consider how much leaf you get per quarter pound, etc. All of what I drink comes from China and are plain tea leaves. I simply can't stand teas that have been sprayed with flavoring, artificial or otherwise, and contain fruity or flowery bits. And most of what you get in supermarkets is either flavored or stale.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #583 on: March 06, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »
I received a catalog through the mail a couple of days ago from "hardware warehouse".  Tool drool time.  But I was good, and threw it away.  After looking at it with my son who agreed with me that we could spend so much money on tools that wouldn't be used very often at all.

This afternoon I have to visit the hardware for a sprinkler after I mowed the top off one on the weekend.  No tools.  No tools.  No tools.  Repeat after me, no tools...

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #584 on: March 06, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »
I received a catalog through the mail a couple of days ago from "hardware warehouse".  Tool drool time.  But I was good, and threw it away.  After looking at it with my son who agreed with me that we could spend so much money on tools that wouldn't be used very often at all.

This afternoon I have to visit the hardware for a sprinkler after I mowed the top off one on the weekend.  No tools.  No tools.  No tools.  Repeat after me, no tools...

It’ll be worth it to resist! You got this :)
We’re all rooting for you.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #586 on: March 13, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »
I am not going to look - no-no and NO!
Got three e-mails for TV shows with my favorite designers and I know they are doing a gemstone event. I am not going to tune in, because I don't want to be tempted.

This has been a real up and down month for me emotionally and financially - so I am not exposing myself to temptation for buying jewelry. In two more days it is halftime again, Mar 15 - small victories.
We can do this! 

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #587 on: March 14, 2018, 08:03:18 AM »
Be strong everyone...we are 11 weeks into the year, which means we are 20% done.

We can do it!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #588 on: March 14, 2018, 08:18:29 AM »
Emailed Julep to cancel nail polish box instead of just "skipping" it every month.  :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #589 on: March 14, 2018, 09:04:48 AM »
Emailed Julep to cancel nail polish box instead of just "skipping" it every month.  :)

Yay @iowajes !!! Victory:) Yes, that makes a great deal of sense, you will not be torturing yourself any longer.

Inspired me to opt out of all future e-mails for upcoming jewelry shows - I don't need the distraction, aggravation or temptation. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #590 on: March 14, 2018, 10:15:22 AM »
I bought 2 books (ebooks, not the physical version) not too upset since I couldn't access them otherwise and
 -1st one was about a medical condition
 -2nd one was about possible treatment for said medical condition
:)
I will be able to write off the expense but need to share in terms of accountability..I don't want to get back into the habit even though I normally buy physical books, not the kindle versions.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #591 on: March 15, 2018, 03:07:44 AM »
Be strong everyone...we are 11 weeks into the year, which means we are 20% done.

We can do it!

Oh wow! What a great number to see! That really helps, thanks!

I’ve been shopping for jewellery a LOT lately... I think it’s due to stress or boredom or something (definitely not due to a need for jewellery!) so it’s nice to know I’ve already lasted 20%!!

Only 291 days to go... it’s almost been 100 days!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #592 on: March 15, 2018, 03:08:54 AM »

Yay @iowajes !!! Victory:) Yes, that makes a great deal of sense, you will not be torturing yourself any longer.

Inspired me to opt out of all future e-mails for upcoming jewelry shows - I don't need the distraction, aggravation or temptation.

Good going, iowajes! I need to do this... trouble is, I’m following so many yummy bling accounts on Instagram.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #593 on: March 15, 2018, 03:10:59 AM »
I bought 2 books (ebooks, not the physical version) not too upset since I couldn't access them otherwise and
 -1st one was about a medical condition
 -2nd one was about possible treatment for said medical condition
:)
I will be able to write off the expense but need to share in terms of accountability..I don't want to get back into the habit even though I normally buy physical books, not the kindle versions.

Those sound like legit books! And how very accountable of you!

Does this mean I should confess I want to get a friend a piece of jewellery for her bridal shower? SIGH. A big part of my goal is because I don’t want to own more bling for me, but I never meant to cut down on the bling for others...

I’m undecided on whether or not this challenge affects or counts for gifting. I dunno...

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #594 on: March 15, 2018, 09:50:19 AM »
I had to use my book club clause this month -- I couldn't find a copy of the book for our speculative fiction club anywhere, and my friends are all using Kindle for this, so I grabbed a copy from the bookshop. Luckily, I also had a gift card from Christmas and used that for it, so it did not come out of my salaried wages. ;)

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #595 on: March 15, 2018, 10:35:04 AM »

In the US,kids (oh who are we kidding) parents are expected to do elaborate craft projects to celebrate the 100th day of school.  As a new mom, maybe we ought to have you practice by doing one for the 100th day of our challenge ;)

M oldest and I spent hours attaching 100 Cheerios or 100 stickers or 100 toothpicks to stuff.

When youngest kid got to 1st grade he firmly declined to participate in or associate with any craft project that had to be done at home, so I finally got out of it.  Little man and I were born without the craft gene.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #596 on: March 15, 2018, 03:47:26 PM »

In the US,kids (oh who are we kidding) parents are expected to do elaborate craft projects to celebrate the 100th day of school.  As a new mom, maybe we ought to have you practice by doing one for the 100th day of our challenge ;)

M oldest and I spent hours attaching 100 Cheerios or 100 stickers or 100 toothpicks to stuff.

When youngest kid got to 1st grade he firmly declined to participate in or associate with any craft project that had to be done at home, so I finally got out of it.  Little man and I were born without the craft gene.

LOL can I make it out of diamonds?? Or can it be like in AA and I get a medallion for making it that far? ;)

Haha I am soooo not a crafter.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #597 on: March 15, 2018, 09:03:11 PM »
But I am!  Went into the craft store this week and got items for one of my kids' crafts for school. But nothing for me.  Does that count?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #598 on: March 15, 2018, 09:16:22 PM »

LOL can I make it out of diamonds?? Or can it be like in AA and I get a medallion for making it that far? ;)

Ha, @lifejoy you are doing a FANTASTIC job of slowing your gem-stone aquisition.
And 100 days of anything is fantastic, so congrats to all the rest of you as well :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #599 on: March 15, 2018, 11:48:23 PM »

Ha, @lifejoy you are doing a FANTASTIC job of slowing your gem-stone aquisition.
And 100 days of anything is fantastic, so congrats to all the rest of you as well :)

I’ve been feeling so tempted lately. But I keep imagining how good I’ll feel, knowing I’ve gone a year!