Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189428 times)

alleykat

• Bristles
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2017, 06:05:12 AM »
I have so many “pins” it is not even funny, however, for 2018 I will pick skincare, hair care and makeup purchases.  All beauty related items.  Will purchase only when replacing something needed. I really need to get this area under control.

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2017, 06:19:06 AM »
OK. I'm in. I've been resisting this thread for about a week because posting means I finally have to acknowledge my gazingus pin: junk food and drinks while out and about.

I'm still OK with going out for meals with family and friends. What I want to avoid are the unplanned stops on the way to work because I wasn’t organised enough to have breakfast at home, or the mid-afternoon pick-me-up coffee and sweet treat. While we meal plan for lunch and dinner, I need to get better at planning healthier and lower-cost snacks. I may even try a bit of baking.

This challenge will also tie in nicely with the Frugalwoods Uber Frugal Month which I've signed up for.

That used to be me! The transition was hard but switching to tea and vegetables eventually helped me avoid major energy slumps. And was far cheaper!

*now off I go to check out the FW Uber frugal month*

As someone mentioned above, the tricky thing about food and drink is that it's soooo easy to justify buying since you have to eat and drink. I don’t necessarily need an over-priced latte and a chocolate cupcake though.

I managed to resist temptation this morning when I popped to the shop, and also when passing by not one, not two but three food outlets at IKEA. So feeling a little proud of my good start.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2017, 09:18:54 PM »
I have so many “pins” it is not even funny, however, for 2018 I will pick skincare, hair care and makeup purchases.  All beauty related items.  Will purchase only when replacing something needed. I really need to get this area under control.

Do you know that you get a free bday fist from Sephora if you’re a VIB member?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2017, 09:19:17 PM »
OK. I'm in. I've been resisting this thread for about a week because posting means I finally have to acknowledge my gazingus pin: junk food and drinks while out and about.

I'm still OK with going out for meals with family and friends. What I want to avoid are the unplanned stops on the way to work because I wasn’t organised enough to have breakfast at home, or the mid-afternoon pick-me-up coffee and sweet treat. While we meal plan for lunch and dinner, I need to get better at planning healthier and lower-cost snacks. I may even try a bit of baking.

This challenge will also tie in nicely with the Frugalwoods Uber Frugal Month which I've signed up for.

That used to be me! The transition was hard but switching to tea and vegetables eventually helped me avoid major energy slumps. And was far cheaper!

*now off I go to check out the FW Uber frugal month*

As someone mentioned above, the tricky thing about food and drink is that it's soooo easy to justify buying since you have to eat and drink. I don’t necessarily need an over-priced latte and a chocolate cupcake though.

I managed to resist temptation this morning when I popped to the shop, and also when passing by not one, not two but three food outlets at IKEA. So feeling a little proud of my good start.

You should feel proud :)
That is an excellent start!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2017, 09:07:21 AM »

I'm guessing this is a typo but part of me giggled at the thought of getting a free birthday facepunch at Sephora. "No more expensive makeup for you, spendypants!" ;)

I have only once liked the free gift. Last year it was a matte lip gloss that was so nude, it made me look like a corpse. Oh well.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2017, 01:05:41 PM »

I'm guessing this is a typo but part of me giggled at the thought of getting a free birthday facepunch at Sephora. "No more expensive makeup for you, spendypants!" ;)

I have only once liked the free gift. Last year it was a matte lip gloss that was so nude, it made me look like a corpse. Oh well.

LMFAO yeah what a typo!!!

hegemony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2017, 05:39:10 PM »
I have a thrift store habit that has led to quite a few gazingus pins over time. 

I think I have the cast iron cookware, wool blankets, vintage dishes, and tote bags largely under control now.  Books and knitting supplies are still an issue, though, so those will be my gazingus pins to avoid this year.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2017, 11:52:49 PM »
I have a thrift store habit that has led to quite a few gazingus pins over time. 

I think I have the cast iron cookware, wool blankets, vintage dishes, and tote bags largely under control now.  Books and knitting supplies are still an issue, though, so those will be my gazingus pins to avoid this year.

Added! :)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2017, 01:43:19 AM »
My gazingus pin is tools.  I buy too many, and buy ones I don't need now.  The problem is we live on a small farm out of town. Going to town for a tool takes over an hour, so things get bought
Just in case.

So, no more purchases of tools that are not needed IMMEDIATELY.  I think I can do that, with some help.

I feel a little success already. I needed a brick bolster yesterday, which i thought I had one of somewhere, but couldn't find at the time. Rather than buying a new one, a look through the three sheds did not find it.  But, a text to my son shed some light on the issue.  He last used it doing some paving down the back, it might be there.   A look through the.long grass, and success!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2017, 05:17:04 AM »
My gazingus pin is tools.  I buy too many, and buy ones I don't need now.  The problem is we live on a small farm out of town. Going to town for a tool takes over an hour, so things get bought
Just in case.

So, no more purchases of tools that are not needed IMMEDIATELY.  I think I can do that, with some help.

I feel a little success already. I needed a brick bolster yesterday, which i thought I had one of somewhere, but couldn't find at the time. Rather than buying a new one, a look through the three sheds did not find it.  But, a text to my son shed some light on the issue.  He last used it doing some paving down the back, it might be there.   A look through the.long grass, and success!

That’s awesome!! Off to a great start!

Myself, I have stopped shopping for jewellery which is a big help when trying to not buy!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2018, 06:49:04 AM »
Well, I’m adding clothes, accessories, and shoes. Except bridesmaid dresses and other necessary purchases.

This is the year of anti-accumulation for me! :)

I’m moving a lot, so it’s good timing. Happy New Year, everyone.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2018, 08:25:37 AM »

Lmao.  I wish it was a fist punch, it would help to say no.

I will also add groceries.  This is a hard area for me but I need to control what comes in and work through what I already have before things expire.   No more stuff just because unless needed.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2018, 10:12:03 AM »

Lmao.  I wish it was a fist punch, it would help to say no.

I will also add groceries.  This is a hard area for me but I need to control what comes in and work through what I already have before things expire.   No more stuff just because unless needed.

I think... the broadness and life-necessity-ness of groceries might make it a tricky “gazingus pin”. In fact- you’re inspiring me! Maybe I should make a thread for “no food waste in 2028”?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »
@alleykat - but I do like the way you’re thinking!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
OK, starting today!  Full confession:  I bought two horse blankets a few days back when they were on super-sale, reasoning that it was not yet 2018.  I am so weak.  But now it's officially 2018, so I no longer have that excuse.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2018, 11:02:58 AM »
OK, starting today!  Full confession:  I bought two horse blankets a few days back when they were on super-sale, reasoning that it was not yet 2018.  I am so weak.  But now it's officially 2018, so I no longer have that excuse.

Every day is a new day :)
And every year is a new year!

Leave the past in the past. You are now a person that does not buy horse stuff until 2019. You’re obviously a very caring horse owner/companion, but your horse sounds like it has everything it needs so you can stop using your time and money buying stuff for it.

What will you do with your newfound time and money?

Myself: I am going to try and divert some of that shopping energy (so much browsing!) into improving my cooking skills.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »
Tea, until drink up what I have... and I have a ridiculous amount.
Canning jars.  I have a problem.  I will allow myself to get any actual antiques, but must also practice a one in-two out (post 1940s) if I find any.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »
Tea, until drink up what I have... and I have a ridiculous amount.
Canning jars.  I have a problem.  I will allow myself to get any actual antiques, but must also practice a one in-two out (post 1940s) if I find any.

Just curious: are you at risk of finding a bunch of antiques to replace the buying of regular canning jars? If you still shop/hunt for antiques, is that going to just transform the gazingus pin?

Consider this a gentle push to maybe go for no canning jars at all :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »
I’ve just added clothing (except bridesmaid outfits) to my challenge. I do not need any new clothes for the next 12 months, that’s for sure!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2018, 11:12:03 AM »
A thought for everyone that is not buying tea or coffee: maybe you could use Birthday or Xmas or valentines gifts as a way to replenish your collection

Or if you have old gift cards kicking around. Or maybe you have friends that have a bunch of tea they’re not going to drink? My friends and I do clothing/stuff swaps and people often bring tea.

Some events have tea out, and maybe you could pocket one for later. Hotels often have tea in the room that you could pocket and have replenished after housekeeping comes in. Also are you already using tea bags more than once? Give it a try!

I have a ton of tea right now because I cut back when I was pregnant.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:14:06 AM by lifejoy »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »

Leave the past in the past. You are now a person that does not buy horse stuff until 2019. You’re obviously a very caring horse owner/companion, but your horse sounds like it has everything it needs so you can stop using your time and money buying stuff for it.

Myself: I am going to try and divert some of that shopping energy (so much browsing!) into improving my cooking skills.

Well, hopefully I will riding more. ;)  My horses tend to have issues that stop me from riding, then I get bored and think of things they "need", especially when it's winter and there's snow on the ground.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2018, 11:57:51 AM »
Clothes and jewelry used to be so hard for me.  Then in my mid 40's the desire for clothes just went away.  The urge for jewelry took a lot longer to leave and did not occur until my late 50's.  I also used to buy knick-naks but after semi-retiring I got sick of dusting them when I no longer had cleaners and eventually decluttered a ton of stuff.   I have no clue why the desire for some things just disappeared.  I think it is good to know what things you over buy and to cut back on that. A friend of mine buys tons of yarn but since I knit scarves for the homeless she will frequently donate some of it to me so I benefit from her overbuying:))

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2018, 11:58:59 AM »

Well, hopefully I will riding more. ;)  My horses tend to have issues that stop me from riding, then I get bored and think of things they "need", especially when it's winter and there's snow on the ground.

Good that you’ve identified this!

Me, I spend too much time shopping on my phone. Online shopping is my biggest issues. I need to replace that habit with one of... cooking tips? Netflix? Podcasts? Candy crush? I’m still working out the details.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
Clothes and jewelry used to be so hard for me.  Then in my mid 40's the desire for clothes just went away.  The urge for jewelry took a lot longer to leave and did not occur until my late 50's.  I also used to buy knick-naks but after semi-retiring I got sick of dusting them when I no longer had cleaners and eventually decluttered a ton of stuff.   I have no clue why the desire for some things just disappeared.  I think it is good to know what things you over buy and to cut back on that. A friend of mine buys tons of yarn but since I knit scarves for the homeless she will frequently donate some of it to me so I benefit from her overbuying:))

Good observations! If you ever figure out how you lost the desire to buy clothes and jewellery, DO let me know! :)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2018, 04:47:25 AM »
I'm in!  No more craft supplies for me.  My problem is that it's a moving target... I stop buying yarn, I start buying fabric.  Stop buying fabric, start buying gardening supplies, etc.  I need to sense what my latest fad is, stop it in its tracks, and finish some projects for once.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2018, 08:30:44 PM »
I'm in!  No more craft supplies for me.  My problem is that it's a moving target... I stop buying yarn, I start buying fabric.  Stop buying fabric, start buying gardening supplies, etc.  I need to sense what my latest fad is, stop it in its tracks, and finish some projects for once.

Welcome! Added!

I sense a lot of creativity in your future :)

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2018, 06:04:57 AM »
We're a week into the challenge; how is everyone doing?

I've realised that choosing no junk food while out and about as my gazingus pin requires daily willpower and organisation. So far there's been one occasion where I shared a fizzy drink that my husband bought while were we on the road visiting family at the weekend. I don't think I'd have bought it myself if he hadn't been there.

Otherwise, I've been pretty organised taking lunch/snacks with me when I go out and making sure my water bottle is full. I've only been at work for one day since Christmas though so we'll see how things pan out next week when I'm back to my normal working pattern and the little one is in childcare. Mornings always seem rushed trying to get everyone out of the house on time.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »
I'm in!!
I have not read the book, so I don't have a pure frame of reference, but I certainly get the idea...
mine is pure evil: ENERGY DRINKS.

Over the last few years, my consumption of these awful cans of chemical waste has increased to an alarming level.  I'm not trying to cut out caffeine, I can easily and cheaply make coffee at home, but these fizzy gut-bombs need to stop.  I buy them at Aldi for 78c each (the Aldi equivalent of Monster) and guzzle two a day MINDLESSLY (and almost every single day- that's 12-14 a week!!), and then wonder why my stomach hurts so bad every.  single.  day.  Then I go to the grocery store again, and pile them up in my cart.  I'm embarrassed when I go to the check out, I'm embarrassed if someone sees me with one at work.  Overall, this needs to stop.

I'm excited about this one.  I don't need to buy these, I have coffee.  Coffee is cheaper, more reasonable, and easier on my gut.

I'm in- starting today, since my fridge is empty of the poison, currently.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »
Duchess - sounds like you’re off to a great start! Could you put trail mix in your purse or bag as a failsafe for emergency noshing? I find raw unsalted nuts, seeds, and dried berries to be a healthy snack that can really take the edge off.

Re: not buying jewellery or clothes, I’m doing well! I’ve stopped browsing jewellery (formerly my favourite hobby!) and as far as clothes are concerned, I am attempting to see my closet with new eyes. I think I will allow tailoring, dry cleaning, and any other clothing-care so I can preserve what I have!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »
I'm in!!
I have not read the book, so I don't have a pure frame of reference, but I certainly get the idea...

Over the last few years, my consumption of these awful cans of chemical waste has increased to an alarming level.  I'm not trying to cut out caffeine, I can easily and cheaply make coffee at home, but these fizzy gut-bombs need to stop.  I buy them at Aldi for 78c each (the Aldi equivalent of Monster) and guzzle two a day MINDLESSLY (and almost every single day- that's 12-14 a week!!), and then wonder why my stomach hurts so bad every.  single.  day.  Then I go to the grocery store again, and pile them up in my cart.  I'm embarrassed when I go to the check out, I'm embarrassed if someone sees me with one at work.  Overall, this needs to stop.

I'm excited about this one.  I don't need to buy these, I have coffee.  Coffee is cheaper, more reasonable, and easier on my gut.

Added! And welcome :)

When I dramatically cut back on sweets, it helped me to envision and frame to myself that, “I am not a person that consumes X.” And also, “I am not the kind of person that seeks our bakeries at every turn.” Haha!

But it really helped me.

Good luck and glad you joined in!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2018, 10:22:01 AM »
I'm doing well. Studiously ignored the sockdreams.com clearance sale. Have not bought any more tea (though am drinking a lot of it to stay warm through this awful cold snap, which thankfully seems to be over for the moment).

Though, I realized that one of the teas I bought, I really don't like. And yesterday, the third time trying it in hopes it would suddenly mutate into something delicious, I thought, "ugh, I REALLY have to slog through 17 more cups of this crap before I can buy more?" Is it cheating to make it really weak so that I can't really taste it? I'm at least trying to alternate it with the 4 other flavors that I really like so I don't get stuck with this and nothing else.

Lesson learned: Despite its name, "sugar cookie" herbal tea will never, ever actually taste like a sugar cookie. You are not fooling anyone, Celestial Seasonings!!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2018, 10:23:29 AM »
Thanks!
Glad to be here!

I'm in!!

Added! And welcome :)

When I dramatically cut back on sweets, it helped me to envision and frame to myself that, “I am not a person that consumes X.” And also, “I am not the kind of person that seeks our bakeries at every turn.” Haha!

But it really helped me.

Good luck and glad you joined in!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2018, 10:58:18 AM »
OMG I totally should not have read this thread.  I read it to (a) figure out wth a "gazingus pin" was, and (b) see what kind of "stuff" Mustachians get sucked into buying, since this crew is known for being anti-stuff.  I just sort of assumed this wasn't me, because I'm not really a "stuff" person.

But . . . but . . . but then I see people wrote "tea."  You mean the delicious beverage -- that elixir of the Gods, that delicious nectar that comes in all sorts of wonderful varieties -- can be a gazingus pin?  Oh.  Shit.

So, yeah, I'm in.  My name is Laura, and I have a problem.  It's tea.  I have a shelf full of it -- so full that it has spilled out onto the adjacent shelves (which I rationalized as "oh, that's the 'old' stuff" and "oh, I'll put DD's there," and "that 1-lb bag is just too large to fit in the cabinet"*).  So.  No more loose tea purchases until I have used up my current 'stache of the varieties I like.**  Not even in-kind replacements, dammit (because that's why the "old" stuff never gets drunk).

Now if only I could get DH to swear off buying more wine. . . .

*You'd think that even saying that out loud would have been a tip-off, wouldn't you?

**Not including the stuff I keep for guests.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »
I'm doing well. Studiously ignored the sockdreams.com clearance sale. Have not bought any more tea (though am drinking a lot of it to stay warm through this awful cold snap, which thankfully seems to be over for the moment).

Though, I realized that one of the teas I bought, I really don't like. And yesterday, the third time trying it in hopes it would suddenly mutate into something delicious, I thought, "ugh, I REALLY have to slog through 17 more cups of this crap before I can buy more?" Is it cheating to make it really weak so that I can't really taste it? I'm at least trying to alternate it with the 4 other flavors that I really like so I don't get stuck with this and nothing else.

Lesson learned: Despite its name, "sugar cookie" herbal tea will never, ever actually taste like a sugar cookie. You are not fooling anyone, Celestial Seasonings!!

Ack that tea sounds bad!

Maybe you could trade it with a friend? Do you know anyone that might like it?

I have a drawer full of tea and half of it I will never drink. I think I’ll put all the flavours I don’t like into the next clothing swap.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2018, 11:18:14 AM »
OMG I totally should not have read this thread.  I read it to (a) figure out wth a "gazingus pin" was, and (b) see what kind of "stuff" Mustachians get sucked into buying, since this crew is known for being anti-stuff.  I just sort of assumed this wasn't me, because I'm not really a "stuff" person.

But . . . but . . . but then I see people wrote "tea."  You mean the delicious beverage -- that elixir of the Gods, that delicious nectar that comes in all sorts of wonderful varieties -- can be a gazingus pin?  Oh.  Shit.

So, yeah, I'm in.  My name is Laura, and I have a problem.  It's tea.  I have a shelf full of it -- so full that it has spilled out onto the adjacent shelves (which I rationalized as "oh, that's the 'old' stuff" and "oh, I'll put DD's there," and "that 1-lb bag is just too large to fit in the cabinet"*).  So.  No more loose tea purchases until I have used up my current 'stache of the varieties I like.**  Not even in-kind replacements, dammit (because that's why the "old" stuff never gets drunk).

Now if only I could get DH to swear off buying more wine. . . .

*You'd think that even saying that out loud would have been a tip-off, wouldn't you?

**Not including the stuff I keep for guests.

What would it be like if you didn’t have specific tea reserved for guests?

Anyways, glad we caught your attention and happy to have you join us! :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2018, 11:19:56 AM »
Haha so fun update:
I was tempted to buy a gorgeous cashmere cardigan... and then my baby peed on me. LOL! I think I can wait for fancy clothes and live with what I’ve got for now
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:12:00 PM by lifejoy »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2018, 11:30:55 AM »

Me: Not so great!  Because we were having a kids' party over the weekend, I bought a bunch of sewing and soap making supplies so I could make mitten clips and cute bath soaps for the goodie bags. But the snowstorm delayed shipping and now I will have yet more craft supplies arriving today which means more clutter.  Well, I guess I shall have to save them for the next party...

Maybe one way I can prevent this kind of thing is by planning further ahead, so I can use up existing supplies for my crafting "needs". Correctly applied, crafting is positive in my life because I enjoy it, I am skilled, and at relatively low cost, can make many nice things for gifts and personal use. But buying supplies without using them up is a waste of money, fills up the very limited storage in my home, so that I spend more time moving things around and less time crafting. Also, there is usually no need to buy supplies new as it can all be found used on freecycle or ebay. 

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2018, 11:35:41 AM »
Re:tea. If I buy or get gifted tea/coffee and don’t like the taste of it, I’ll usually bring it to work. Stuff that is left in the coffee area will disappear in very short time.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2018, 12:15:47 PM »

Me: Not so great!  Because we were having a kids' party over the weekend, I bought a bunch of sewing and soap making supplies so I could make mitten clips and cute bath soaps for the goodie bags. But the snowstorm delayed shipping and now I will have yet more craft supplies arriving today which means more clutter.  Well, I guess I shall have to save them for the next party...

Maybe one way I can prevent this kind of thing is by planning further ahead, so I can use up existing supplies for my crafting "needs". Correctly applied, crafting is positive in my life because I enjoy it, I am skilled, and at relatively low cost, can make many nice things for gifts and personal use. But buying supplies without using them up is a waste of money, fills up the very limited storage in my home, so that I spend more time moving things around and less time crafting. Also, there is usually no need to buy supplies new as it can all be found used on freecycle or ebay.

Good analysis!

Me, I don’t like crafting. So I would have a hard time devoting money to it. That being said, I’m not sure how old your kids are but I worked at a Libray that did a bunch of low budget crafts. Like this one:
https://www.theseasonedmom.com/fall-leaves-wax-paper/

Maybe it would be a good challenge for you to think of the crafts that you can make for free, instead of the very best craft that is out there for low cost?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2018, 12:16:10 PM »
Re:tea. If I buy or get gifted tea/coffee and don’t like the taste of it, I’ll usually bring it to work. Stuff that is left in the coffee area will disappear in very short time.

That’s a good plan :)

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »
Food/drink I don't want always goes on the "free" table in the work breakroom. I figured that was cheating, though?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2018, 12:41:53 PM »
Food/drink I don't want always goes on the "free" table in the work breakroom. I figured that was cheating, though?

Oh. Yeah, it probably would be cheating! :)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »

Oh. Yeah, it probably would be cheating! :)

As part of distancing myself from my upbringing, I decided life was to short to do or eat things I didn't like, if the only argument for is that I "aught to". Arguments like "healthy", "good for society", "polite", still stand. But stinky tea; no.

But that is what *I* needed to do to change into a more balanced and happy person, after years of suffering consequences of "good girl syndrome". YMMV.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2018, 01:56:32 PM »
Going to join this one...mine are books, amazon, jewelry and clothes shopping.

The thing is that I do the books through goodwill purchases, so they are dirt cheap.  But there is a pile of them here in my home that we just haven't read, and I have no idea if they ever will get read.  So books.  (Excluding digital free books through my library of course)

Amazon...its not a huge problem but something I can and should improve on.  There are lots of random things I have purchased through amazon (clothing specifically) that once I got it home was not pleased and then of course didn't return.  The quality is never what I want, it almost always comes from Asia, and I'm not content with it once I get it. 

Seriously, for clothes and jewelry, I have more than enough.  No buys this year.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2018, 02:06:15 PM »

The site with the best deals on horse blankets just closed their business, so that's one temptation gone for me.  So far, so good.

Trying to be very deliberate with any other purchases to make sure I'm not just replacing one pin with another.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »
I'd never come across the term "Gazingus Pins" before I opened this thread out of curiosity today. I shall steal the term to refer to the various sport-related gadgets and exactly-the-right-tool-for-the-job widgets that my husband can't resist buying. Or my daughter's collection of Yankee candles and scented bath bombs.

I don't have any of my own to add because over the past few years I've obliterated most of them, but reading through the thread I can see lots of former gazingus pins of mine - expensive chocolate, fancy coffee, books, magazines, hand made soap, crafting tools and materials, kitchen equipment - and I can add running shoes, of which I have so many stashed that I won't need to buy another pair till around 2025.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »
What would it be like if you didn’t have specific tea reserved for guests?

Guess I should have been clearer:  the "guest" teas are ones I do not like.  The only one I buy on purpose is Earl Grey (the only thing my MIL drinks; I cannot stand it).  The rest are usually teas that I was given as a gift and really really don't like, so I put them in a little canister in case someone else does.  I am willing to cut back on my hoarding of delicious teas, but I am not willing to drink stuff I hate.  :-)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2018, 07:53:59 AM »
Hi Y'all- Checking in!
I'll probably check in a lot, so I apologize ahead of time- addiction and habit are STRONG forces and I need a lil' accountability.

No energy drink today!  My cold brew coffee was not quite done yet (I make it in the fridge overnight), but I still poured some into a mason jar with a splash of almond milk and have been sipping on it this morning- although it's a bit weak.  I have another jar in my lunch bag as a back up.  I won't have any time to run out to the store today, so no chance of me buying one- and my fridge is energy drink free.  Going ok so far.

I def want it- I love how fizzy they are in the morning and how they kind of punch you awake.  Oh well!  :)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
/sigh

I'm in, I think.  I'm going to try to avoid buying sweets/snacks on grocery trips (or at all, unless DH specifically requests it), and clothes for myself?  These are going to be really hard. 

I tend to pick up a Lara bar or 3 oz of chocolate covered almonds or a piece of cornbread at the grocery store for like $1 and then eat it on my walk home.  It isn't much money or too many calories for each instance, but even if I only do it once a week, that's at a minimum $52 a year I'm wasting.

Clothes... I don't feel like I buy a lot of clothes, but I definitely HAVE a lot of clothes, so I must keep getting them.  I just bought another pair of leggings this morning off of Facebook, for goodness sake (which is not great for my uber frugal January, lol).  They're lularoe, so comfy, second-hand, and were only $10, but still, I didn't NEED them.  I'll take free clothes, but only if I'm getting rid of something else.

I'm not giving up buying all clothes, because we have a 19 month old, and he's going to need things, but I'll make it a priority to check with my friends for hand-me-downs before I buy anything.  Everything is second-hand or on clearance anyhow, but again, being cheap doesn't mean I need it.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2018, 08:55:54 AM »
JanetJackson, have you considered drinking seltzer in the morning? My husband used to have a Diet Coke addiction but he weaned himself off with seltzer...

As for teas, I drink only black tea, but I do keep some florals (which I hate but get gifted to me) around for guests. I have two decorated tins-- one for herbal packets, one for florals that I keep filled for guests, plus two boxes of black teas for myself. Maybe it helps in general to have a space limit? I.e., if it won't fit, you can't buy more?

Thanks for the crafting suggestion, lifejoy!  I'm mostly interested, though, in doing crafts that would be expensive to buy premade or don't exist for purchase at all. So for instance, I too would covet a $400 cashmere cardigan, but then end up spending $70 on cashmere yarn (and as a matter of fact I have knit several items using industrial-sized cones of cashmere yarn, but in some cases I had to stop partway because I ran out of the right color of yarn, or else I have yarn left over.)

This is a consequence of still having champagne tastes on a beer budget. Instead of giving up champagne, I learn how to make champagne (don't let's mention the craft beer kit in the garage.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:58:25 AM by Poundwise »