Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189454 times)

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #400 on: February 09, 2018, 08:45:35 AM »
Life joy, if there were a medical reason I needed to eat Doritos and coke, I’d search for the Best Buy in bulk and optimize what I could, but count it as a need not a want. A single pair of proper tiring running shoes IMO does not count as a gazingus pin.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #401 on: February 09, 2018, 09:51:43 AM »
Life joy, if there were a medical reason I needed to eat Doritos and coke, I’d search for the Best Buy in bulk and optimize what I could, but count it as a need not a want. A single pair of proper tiring running shoes IMO does not count as a gazingus pin.

Lol! Good one!!

Yeah, I’m thinking that it is not in line for my goals to stop spending that benefits my health. It’s the mindless fashion spending that I seek to challenge. I’m going to think on it a little more though.

Thanks for the laugh and the sound advice!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »
Win for me -- yesterday I had a flat tire after work and took my car to a tire shop.  I was hungry and thirsty and they had a snack machine right there for me tempting me with sodas and snacks.  I almost rationalized buying something saying I had had a difficult afternoon, I was tired, and I said my Gazingus Pin was "vending machine snacks at work" not "vending machine snacks after work" so.. technicality.

But, I took some long drinks of water from the water fountain and didn't buy anything.

I'm intrigued, because January sounded pretty easy for you but I guess it is still requiring effort! I only mention that because of your comment about maybe needing to find a new gazingus pin to add. But I think this one is still a good challenge to cement :)
You're doing great! I try filling up on water in the middle of the night when I'm a bit hungry. I'm up at all hours breastfeeding my baby but the baby weight started falling off when I stopped eating at all hours, too! ;)

JanetJackson - added your star, finally! Formerlydivorcedmom - added candles to your list of gazingus pins. Hooray! You know what? I used to have a candle addiction, too! I had a *COLLECTION*. And it was beautiful. And then I realized that buying candles meant that I was literally setting fire to my money. Plus I was collecting candles much faster than I was using them. Bah. Not good!

Now when I get given candles or chocolates (things I'm not buying), I am delighted. Such a great gift. In the past, it was kind of a shrug and a mechanical *add to collection*. When I stop buying things for myself it makes receiving them as gifts so much more meaningful.

--

Food for thought: we are buying less gazingus pins. Or even zero gazingus pins! What are we creating room for? What values are we spending on instead? For me:

- Freedom (FIRE! Woot!)
- Giving (friends, strangers, charities)
- Space (by not adding to my clutter)
- Relationships (buying gifts and not having almost-fights with DH about stuff I want but don't have the fun money for)
- Confidence/security (happier with the clothes I have instead of always needing more more more)
- Health (spending my time cooking instead of online shopping)
- Time! (not spending so much shopping, buying and returning things)
- Modelling (showing my baby daughter that life is not all about consuming!)

I feel good that resisting my gazingus pins is making room in my life for me to focus on the things I TRULY value. What are you making room for in your life?

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: February 09, 2018, 10:18:20 AM »
You guys are doing so great - and it's lovely when the universe steps in to help.

@lifejoy, buy the shoes.  I just got back from the podiatrist, where I spent a wonderful $500 on X-rays and custom orthotics.  If I'd been wearing properly supportive shoes (cost =  $100), I wouldn't have had foot problems.  He literally took one look at my tennis shoes at my first appointment and said "'NO."  So I had to spend the $100 on the new shoes anyway...but I get the doctor bills on top of that.

Last night was Literacy Night at my son's school.  He had saved his allowance to buy books.  My husband showed me an awesome cookbook, which ended up on my credit card.  I got home and realized that cookbooks count as books.  Dammit.   Anyway, that's my 1 book for February.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #404 on: February 09, 2018, 10:31:02 AM »
You guys are doing so great - and it's lovely when the universe steps in to help.

@lifejoy, buy the shoes.  I just got back from the podiatrist, where I spent a wonderful $500 on X-rays and custom orthotics.  If I'd been wearing properly supportive shoes (cost =  $100), I wouldn't have had foot problems.  He literally took one look at my tennis shoes at my first appointment and said "'NO."  So I had to spend the $100 on the new shoes anyway...but I get the doctor bills on top of that.

Last night was Literacy Night at my son's school.  He had saved his allowance to buy books.  My husband showed me an awesome cookbook, which ended up on my credit card.  I got home and realized that cookbooks count as books.  Dammit.   Anyway, that's my 1 book for February.

Yikes! Good cautionary tale about the footwear. Maybe running/walking shoes are more like athletic or sports wear, which is definitely not a gazingus pin category for me. Thanks for sharing your story :)

Also... the cookbook thing, I have so been there! The “oh yeah, I guess earrings are jewellery” realization of when you’re going through the motions and then realize you’re falling into Ann old habit. Yep. Good on you for realizing and committing! February is a short month, after all ;)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #405 on: February 09, 2018, 02:20:21 PM »

Food for thought: we are buying less gazingus pins. Or even zero gazingus pins! What are we creating room for? What values are we spending on instead? For me:

- Freedom (FIRE! Woot!)
- Relationships (buying gifts and not having almost-fights with DH about stuff I want but don't have the fun money for)
- Confidence/security (happier with the clothes I have instead of always needing more more more)

I feel good that resisting my gazingus pins is making room in my life for me to focus on the things I TRULY value. What are you making room for in your life?

I'm sure there is something in my life that I am making room for, but right now all I can see is that buying zero jewelry in 2018
1. keeps my finances intact.
2. makes it possible to reach my two goals for the year - trip and the savings goal.
3. gives me a bit of breathing room in my discretionary budget.

I am on a really tight budget, because of my two goals for this year and because I'm helping out a family member, so I have plenty of financial incentives to make it happen.
In other words, it is strengthening my focus and financial discipline - one may hope:)

"What values are we spending on instead?"
I am not spending on other things, rather I am prioritizing what I value most - FI - savings aka reaching that $50K goal in 2019!
Second, I am choosing a paid for trip over using my credit card (I will, but only to get the points - then I'll pay it from my savings) and over spending money on jewelry.

Given all that - it should be easy to do, but it is surprisingly hard and I do wonder if I can make it through the second month.
Self-sabotage and temptation must be first cousins:)

lifejoy - buy the shoes! There is nothing frivolous or spendy about buying a pair of shoes that are good for your health, your legs and probably your back too. Do some research.

Here is a site that may have better prices on your shoes than store retail - I plan on buying my hiking shoes there.
Be sure to check the reviews on your choices - I thought of going to the local store and trying them on, then get a much better sale price from this site.
www.sierratradingpost.com

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #406 on: February 09, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »

Yikes! Good cautionary tale about the footwear. Maybe running/walking shoes are more like athletic or sports wear, which is definitely not a gazingus pin category for me. Thanks for sharing your story :)

In your case, new running shoes ought to go in the medical spending bucket.  It's an investment in your health.

- Freedom (FIRE! Woot!)

For me, this challenge is about learning to be more mindful. 

I will always be a reader, I am just changing the way I do that.  I've done a good job of starting the decluttering process in my house over the last 6 months, since I discovered the KonMari method.  I want to take this time to be more intentional about everything that comes into my house.  If I can get to that level with the thing I am most passionate about, I feel like the rest with follow. And THAT means ...

less clutter ... which means
less stress
more appreciation for what I already have

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #407 on: February 09, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »
Like @formerlydivorcedmom my goal is to be more mindful. If I'm mindful of not buying gift cards that sit in my wallet for months at a time, I can put funds immediately to our unfunded 2018 goals (kids college extras + paying down vacation house mortgage).

I know that I get personally caught up in finding "the best deal" & get a high from said deal, but if I step back & consider it, it's actually not the best financial choice. Sometimes that's no boring, there's no accompanying high, and i just need to be able to think through & make the better decision.

Also, extra gift cards are just more clutter, & I often forget to use them, etc.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: February 09, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »
Win for me -- yesterday I had a flat tire after work and took my car to a tire shop.  I was hungry and thirsty and they had a snack machine right there for me tempting me with sodas and snacks.  I almost rationalized buying something saying I had had a difficult afternoon, I was tired, and I said my Gazingus Pin was "vending machine snacks at work" not "vending machine snacks after work" so.. technicality.

But, I took some long drinks of water from the water fountain and didn't buy anything.

I'm intrigued, because January sounded pretty easy for you but I guess it is still requiring effort! I only mention that because of your comment about maybe needing to find a new gazingus pin to add. But I think this one is still a good challenge to cement :)
You're doing great! I try filling up on water in the middle of the night when I'm a bit hungry. I'm up at all hours breastfeeding my baby but the baby weight started falling off when I stopped eating at all hours, too! ;)

I still feel little twinges at work every now and then.. a little craving of something salty, or the boost of caffeine and sugar from a Coke.

I think the big difference between my Cokes and SNacks, versus other people's jewelry/books/fine teas, is that those things you chose you actually enjoy -- you value them, think they are worthwhile, just that you have too many of them.  (I think?)

Whereas I know these snacks are junk food, they are bad for me, I don't want to be eating them.  If I remember to pack a proper lunch, they don't tempt me at all.  They were just a bad habit.  I eat them for a boost, but know full well that after I eat and drink them I will just crash harder.

But man, at 4:30 after a long day of teaching and worrying about car  trouble it was hard to say no to a nice cold coke!  I did it again today when I went to pick up my car!

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #409 on: February 09, 2018, 04:39:27 PM »
Congrats for keeping on resisting, @CrustyBadger

I'm weaning myself off of soda again this month, as part of an eating plan to break the addiction to sugar.  I love my nice cold diet cokes.....and they are free at work....sigh.  I would have made it my gazingus pin, too, except soda is the only type of caffeine I drink, and there will occasionally be a day I need one to power through.   

Today I had to pretend to myself that I just had my teeth cleaned, so I don't want to stain them with soda or Dorito stains already.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: February 09, 2018, 07:58:45 PM »
Good work, everyone!!

I was about to report that I had at last gone an entire month without a craft purchase, thus rightfully earning my star, when I suddenly recalled a purchase that I made in mid-January that I had completely forgotten within an hour of it happening!

A friend of mine mentioned that she needed some grommets put on a banner, and since I had some returns to make at the craft store I thought I would pick some up for her.  I had about 15 minutes to spare, so I charged through the store, making my return, grabbed the grommets, and then I picked up some colorful buttons that my daughter begged me for, and then on the way out of the store I snagged some sale rolls of ribbon!  And some other small stuff I don't even remember! 

In the end, it probably didn't cost much, as nothing was that expensive and I had a gift card (MaybeBabyMustache, I had GCs as a past gazingus pin!)  But really it is quite shocking, how little memory I have of the entire transaction! 

So it turns out my friend didn't need the grommets after all.   I was going to return them, but I think I had better just stop going into the store, since apparently I don't have anything approaching control when I get there. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:00:55 PM by Poundwise »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #411 on: February 09, 2018, 09:45:23 PM »
Good work, everyone!!

I was about to report that I had at last gone an entire month without a craft purchase, thus rightfully earning my star, when I suddenly recalled a purchase that I made in mid-January that I had completely forgotten within an hour of it happening!

A friend of mine mentioned that she needed some grommets put on a banner, and since I had some returns to make at the craft store I thought I would pick some up for her.  I had about 15 minutes to spare, so I charged through the store, making my return, grabbed the grommets, and then I picked up some colorful buttons that my daughter begged me for, and then on the way out of the store I snagged some sale rolls of ribbon!  And some other small stuff I don't even remember! 

In the end, it probably didn't cost much, as nothing was that expensive and I had a gift card (MaybeBabyMustache, I had GCs as a past gazingus pin!)  But really it is quite shocking, how little memory I have of the entire transaction! 

So it turns out my friend didn't need the grommets after all.   I was going to return them, but I think I had better just stop going into the store, since apparently I don't have anything approaching control when I get there.

It’s amazing, the sorts of things we do on autopilot!

Perhaps you could have someone return the grommets for you?

I recently returned some pants (purchased in December) and I had to put imaginary blinders on as I walked into the department store! I got $120 back and the lady was so nice, processed it as a return instead of store credit, even though it had been nearly two months... lol. Really psyched that I won’t be spending my 2018 life busy with returns. I definitely see unnecessary shopping and my habit of returning things as activities that take me away from my baby and my family and things I truly value.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: February 10, 2018, 09:05:45 AM »
So interesting to read everyone's updates :)

I found myself lost down the spiral of on-line book browing and almost purchased one this week. I realized I REALLY want to make it through this year without buying books (although I have 5 out from the library!), since I don't know when/if that has happened before.

Also please add me to the tea gazingus-pin group.

I was previously in denial but this morning saw a basket full of tea that I rarely touch. Been slowly working through my herbal collections (my sister is a herbalist so I have lovely selections of locally gathered plants..but the whole point is to use it and appreciate it). I love to make blended elixirs and concoctions but sometimes forget about the simple joy of a basic tea. Which is what I am enjoying this morning.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #413 on: February 10, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »
Buying fewer books means...

1. More time to read my books because I'm shopping less
2. More appreciation for the books I already have.
3. More money to FI.
4. More space in my house, because books are also leaving.
5. Greater thoughtfulness about what brings happiness into my life and home.

@CrustyBadger I feel like I should join you at some point this year on a version of the snacks!gazingus pin, but I'm not quite there yet. My issue is dealing with junk food -- it's hard for me to resist. I'm currently pretty healthy, but that's likely because I'm still pretty young. I want to deal with any junk food issues before it becomes an issue, not after. So I've recently given myself a challenge: I only get junk food if I or a friend made it, or possibly on very special occasions (birthdays or big holidays). So I can make myself brownies, or if a friend makes cookies, I can have a cookie; but I can't dive into that bag of chips at D&D because those were bought from a store. It's definitely an ongoing process right now and not something I can do cold turkey yet (if only because I'm forgetful about it), but I hope that in a little bit I can join you in my version of this one.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #414 on: February 10, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »
Today is my birthday, & my husband got me a sparkly necklace. Disclaimer, we can afford this, & my husband is an amazing guy with great taste. I thanked him, hugged him & let him know that I'd really prefer something smaller, and/or to put that money towards a few nice dinners out together, etc. He's returning it, and no feelings were hurt. I know he loves to spoil me, but all I really need today, I have. Went for a run in the sunshine, he's doing the Costco run (yes!), he's picking up fancy cupcakes & champagne, the kids cleaned their rooms for my gift, and we're all happy & healthy.

Thought of all of you with the jewelry gazingus pins! Oh, & he also got me noise cancelling headphones for my international work trips. Mine are 12 years old, and are falling apart & no longer work. Definitely keeping those.

Life is funny. In my 20s, I would have LOVED a diamond necklace for my birthday. I'm so content & happy with the life I have now. (This is no judgment of anyone else who loves sparkly things, I have my own gazingus pins I assure you. ;-))

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #415 on: February 10, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly on what diapasoun shared.

For me, not buying books this year also means:

1. Learning to practice patience. Just because I want it now doesn't mean I actually need to fulfill that desire at that instant. If I still want it in 11 months, I can easily have it. What I've found is that the internal alarm bells stop chiming so loudly once I delay fulfilling the desire for a new book. I consider it the practice I need as we work toward FIRE

2. Fostering a growing appreciation for my local library - both to check out books and in the joy I experience walking there, sometimes alone and sometimes with DH, and just browsing. Engaging with my local community more is already proving to be a huge positive and it's exactly what I want to make space and time for.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: February 10, 2018, 12:02:00 PM »
Today is my birthday, & my husband got me a sparkly necklace. Disclaimer, we can afford this, & my husband is an amazing guy with great taste. I thanked him, hugged him & let him know that I'd really prefer something smaller, and/or to put that money towards a few nice dinners out together, etc. He's returning it, and no feelings were hurt. I know he loves to spoil me, but all I really need today, I have. Went for a run in the sunshine, he's doing the Costco run (yes!), he's picking up fancy cupcakes & champagne, the kids cleaned their rooms for my gift, and we're all happy & healthy.

Thought of all of you with the jewelry gazingus pins! Oh, & he also got me noise cancelling headphones for my international work trips. Mine are 12 years old, and are falling apart & no longer work. Definitely keeping those.

Life is funny. In my 20s, I would have LOVED a diamond necklace for my birthday. I'm so content & happy with the life I have now. (This is no judgment of anyone else who loves sparkly things, I have my own gazingus pins I assure you. ;-))

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)
enjoy the cupcakes and champagne..isn't it lovely to enjoy what we already own?!
have a great day (sparkly life vs. sparkly gift)

I think that's one the biggest reasons I strive to minimize accumulation: freeing up mindspace and homespace to enjoy the gifts I have, including the good people in life.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #417 on: February 10, 2018, 02:27:03 PM »

enjoy the cupcakes and champagne..isn't it lovely to enjoy what we already own?!

I think that's one the biggest reasons I strive to minimize accumulation: freeing up mindspace and homespace to enjoy the gifts I have, including the good people in life.

Sparkly life vs sparkly gift! I love it!!!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #418 on: February 10, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »

Sparkly life vs sparkly gift! I love it!!!

I will definitely remember this! Love that so much. thanks, Serendip!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: February 10, 2018, 03:07:44 PM »
So far it has been easier than expected - the line about BUYING CRAFT SUPPLIES and CRAFTING being two different hobbies is definitely holding true for me.  I just avoid the two places where I habitually go and removed a bookmark or two which has held the urge at bay. It has also eased the guilt at my unfinished sewing- at least I am not adding to the pile of unstarted/unfinished projects- even as I lose the mirage of "but *this* pattern will be different, this one I can whip up in 5 minutes and it will be flattering and not need adjustment and go with everything in my wardrobe..." which is a lie but permits me to walk away from challenges instead of flexing and getting stronger in my sewing.

So what I am gaining is
1- more money
2- more thoughtful consumption
3- improved skills and ability to tackle tougher projects by working through the hard parts of my current projects.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #420 on: February 10, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
As far as horsepoor is concerned, my initial reaction was, “its for the good of the horse! How could she say no?” But after thinking some more and reading your comment Rosy, I think there could always be an excuse like that. Similar to parents who buy stuff for their children. Sometimes it’s a true need (food!) and sometimes not (toys). Horsepoor, I can see this will be a good challenge for you. What are you hoping to get out of 2018? Have you added up how much you’re spending on your horse? I suspect it could be more than you realize.

Good question!  What I really want to avoid is buying stuff because "oh, it's a good deal and nice to have an extra! or oh, I'll need this for a hypothetical show I might go to in six months, or oh, wouldn't my horse look cute decked out in matching teal accessories!!"

I spend enough on my horses (I have three) to make any self-respecting Mustachian crap their thrifted jeans, but I'm OK with that.  I just don't want to buy stuff that doesn't actually further my goals, or will sit and gather dust.  So I did buy the sheet ($61.98 with shipping) because it's something I have an actual use for right now.  If I had it already, it would have come in handy today when my mare was sweaty after our riding lesson and it was windy and 36F (she wore my other horse's too-big wool sheet for the trailer ride home).  I will note that I refrained from buying a matching one for my other horse, who is away at reform school and won't be back until summer, when such an item will be unnecessary.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #421 on: February 11, 2018, 11:21:26 AM »
I could have written this! Always on the hunt for good online art workshops.

Good idea!
I am giving up art workshops for the year.
Even though I studied arts and have taken many workshops--I always feel compelled to learn something new (even when I am not practicing half the things I would like to practice)

And books..no buying books (the library and our personal library will have to suffice)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #422 on: February 11, 2018, 02:56:46 PM »
I will not buy:
-fountain pens
-books not required for school (I usually just rely on the library, but I bought three cookbooks in December -- granted, after I had checked them out from the library and tested some recipes, and I'm using the cookbooks weekly, but three are enough)
-stationery (unless I actually use mine up)

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #423 on: February 11, 2018, 06:09:46 PM »
Yes!!  I am now also working through the collection of half-used cosmetics samples and products -- I don't wear much makeup, so those things tend to stick around forever, and I have just decided I am not buying more of that until I get rid of what I have.  Not a gazingus pin, though, as that has piled up through sheer laziness and lack of interest.  ;-)

I'm the same way (though I do wear makeup daily). I don't consider makeup a gazingus pin because I don't have to restrain myself from accumulating more shiny things, but I just seem to accumulate it anyway. I have so much eyeshadow right now because a friend gave me a couple of large palettes she wasn't going to use. I have a bunch of lip balm that I'm never going to get through because a little goes a LONG way with this brand and I got a 4-pack on clearance a couple years ago. Today I was in Sephora to buy a mascara because mine was dried up and I was drooling over all of the eyeshadows but wasn't really tempted to bring any home because, honestly, the amount I have kind of stresses me out. Too much choice! But I feel bad just throwing it out.

Why does having a lot of makeup stress me out, whereas having a lot of tea and a lot of socks/tights doesn't? That's an excellent question; I don't have the answer. All my makeup lives in a big metal lunchbox and takes up very little space compared to the legwear so I don't know.

I am still holding strong. I did visit my nemesis sockdreams.com today but didn't buy anything. I really had the urge to spend today because, well, my cat died yesterday and I'm trying not to emotionally eat or drink wine in response (dieting) so of course that leaves retail therapy, right? :P At any rate, instead of buying, I added some things I liked to  my wishlist on the site. And deleted a few things on my wishlist that I was like "why on earth did I even want that?" It was a great tool to feel like I was shopping for myself, without spending anything or accumulating more STUFF.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #424 on: February 11, 2018, 08:11:52 PM »
Yes!!  I am now also working through the collection of half-used cosmetics samples and products -- I don't wear much makeup, so those things tend to stick around forever, and I have just decided I am not buying more of that until I get rid of what I have.  Not a gazingus pin, though, as that has piled up through sheer laziness and lack of interest.  ;-)

I'm the same way (though I do wear makeup daily). I don't consider makeup a gazingus pin because I don't have to restrain myself from accumulating more shiny things, but I just seem to accumulate it anyway. I have so much eyeshadow right now because a friend gave me a couple of large palettes she wasn't going to use. I have a bunch of lip balm that I'm never going to get through because a little goes a LONG way with this brand and I got a 4-pack on clearance a couple years ago. Today I was in Sephora to buy a mascara because mine was dried up and I was drooling over all of the eyeshadows but wasn't really tempted to bring any home because, honestly, the amount I have kind of stresses me out. Too much choice! But I feel bad just throwing it out.

Why does having a lot of makeup stress me out, whereas having a lot of tea and a lot of socks/tights doesn't? That's an excellent question; I don't have the answer. All my makeup lives in a big metal lunchbox and takes up very little space compared to the legwear so I don't know.

I am still holding strong. I did visit my nemesis sockdreams.com today but didn't buy anything. I really had the urge to spend today because, well, my cat died yesterday and I'm trying not to emotionally eat or drink wine in response (dieting) so of course that leaves retail therapy, right? :P At any rate, instead of buying, I added some things I liked to  my wishlist on the site. And deleted a few things on my wishlist that I was like "why on earth did I even want that?" It was a great tool to feel like I was shopping for myself, without spending anything or accumulating more STUFF.

Props to you for holding strong. I am so sorry to hear about your cat. Years ago, I bought jewellery after finding out my cousin died. I eventually gave away that piece. Looking at it always made me feel sad.

Maybe buying socks would make you feel sad when you looked at them.

Is there a better way you could do retail therapy? Donating money to a pet shelter? Buying flowers or a plaque to put on the garden as a memorial?

Anyways my heart goes out to you.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #425 on: February 11, 2018, 08:41:59 PM »
So sorry for your loss @Tris Prior . I used to have a wicked lipgloss habit, but I'm over that, but not as I'd like. How? Well, one of them irritated my lips so fiercely that I had to go to a dermatologist & get a prescription cream. It took six months of treatment to get over it, and as a result, I had to toss ALL of my lipgoss. Like, maybe 20 tubes? It was pretty sad, super wasteful, and a clear sign how wasteful it was that I even owned 20 tubes. Now I have 2 with sunblock, & a couple I wear at work. Speaking of reformed gazingus pins. . . ;-)

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #426 on: February 12, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »
Happy belated birthday, @MaybeBabyMustache , and hugs to you, @Tris Prior .

I had to go down the book aisle at the grocery store this weekend (because the Valentine's cards were there too, and my son needed to pick up a box for school).  I lingered to read the titles of the new releases.  My son (age 8) poked me in the back and said "NO BOOKS, MAMA!  You promised."

Surprisingly, I wasn't actually going to buy one.  There was one that sounded good by an author I like, and I just put it on my mental list to get from the library.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #427 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
Happy belated birthday, @MaybeBabyMustache , and hugs to you, @Tris Prior .

I had to go down the book aisle at the grocery store this weekend (because the Valentine's cards were there too, and my son needed to pick up a box for school).  I lingered to read the titles of the new releases.  My son (age 8) poked me in the back and said "NO BOOKS, MAMA!  You promised."

Surprisingly, I wasn't actually going to buy one.  There was one that sounded good by an author I like, and I just put it on my mental list to get from the library.

Kudos to you, and your son! Sounds like you have accountability in real life in addition to online :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #428 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »
Thank you, @formerlydivorcedmom ! Best gift was the room cleaning from the kids. No nagging, & spotless rooms. Also, found the missing mates of 6 pairs of socks. Ahhhh, kids! :-)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #429 on: February 12, 2018, 09:55:13 AM »
@Tris Prior, I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. Losing feline family is terrible.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #430 on: February 13, 2018, 07:02:03 AM »
@TrisPrior

1. Sorry about your kitty. I had a little black one that lived 21 years and moved to two continents with me, twice:) I cried so hard on the freeway the next day that I don't even know how I could see to drive. She will forever live in my memory.

2. That's funny about the wishlist - I rarely use them, because I don't want to turn them into a goal:)
You are stronger than I, because my mind will not let go of that list until I "accomplished" it.

I do have an Amazon book list, but it doesn't tempt me and physically draw me like jewelry does.

@MabeBabyMustache - I love the sparkly life vs sparkly jewelry analogy. But, then I immediately think - WHY can't I have both?:)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #431 on: February 13, 2018, 07:08:59 AM »
I successfully navigated Walmart and King Soopers without buying anything not on my grocery list.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE those little Cadbury mini eggs.  I don't know why, but I could eat a full sized bag of them all by myself in a single sitting (I think I might have, a few years ago).  And I didn't buy them, even though they're on aisle displays literally all over the place.  Good for my wallet, my blood sugar, and my self control.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #432 on: February 13, 2018, 07:45:55 AM »
I successfully navigated Walmart and King Soopers without buying anything not on my grocery list.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE those little Cadbury mini eggs.  I don't know why, but I could eat a full sized bag of them all by myself in a single sitting (I think I might have, a few years ago).  And I didn't buy them, even though they're on aisle displays literally all over the place.  Good for my wallet, my blood sugar, and my self control.

The worst part is they are ON SALE at my grocery store right now.  I had to be very very very strong not to buy them this week, but they weren't on the list.  I've also successfully refrained from putting them on next week's list.

We deserve major karma points for this level of self-control.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #433 on: February 13, 2018, 09:00:57 AM »
@Tris Prior I am so sorry about your kitty! :~(

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #434 on: February 13, 2018, 09:37:21 AM »
@TrisPrior

@MabeBabyMustache - I love the sparkly life vs sparkly jewelry analogy. But, then I immediately think - WHY can't I have both?:)

My hero, Gail Vaz-Oxlade, says you CAN have it all! ... just not all at the same time ;)

Gotta prioritize! Sparkly life, THEN sparkly jewellery ;)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #435 on: February 13, 2018, 09:38:04 AM »

That is BAD-ASS!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #436 on: February 13, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »

The worst part is they are ON SALE at my grocery store right now.  I had to be very very very strong not to buy them this week, but they weren't on the list.  I've also successfully refrained from putting them on next week's list.

We deserve major karma points for this level of self-control.

I agree! Karma points to the max!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #437 on: February 13, 2018, 10:26:59 AM »

Easter candy is my nemesis. Cadbury? Jelly beans? Little chocolate rabbits? I've given myself a gentle ban on buying junk food (I can only buy raw ingredients and make it) and I'm really hoping I pull through that for the Easter season....

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #438 on: February 14, 2018, 12:17:44 PM »
Ok, so it's halfway through the month, and I have been working on the Embroidered Magyar Coat (pics in my journal), and realizing I'm going to run out of the wool thread I've been using.  HERE'S THE BIG BREAKTHROUGH THAT IS GOING TO MEAN A STAR...

...it's okay to stop working on that step of the coat when I run out of thread.

There's so much left to do for the coat (spin/weave the collar, design the back embroidery), and theres NO WAY I could finish during coat wearing season in the short term, so... it's ok.  I'll just finish knitting up the rest of the thread I have, making as much cording as it makes, and put it away for later.  I'll ask for more thread for birthday(Aug)/Christmas - it's hard to find, anyway.  I have plenty else to work on in the meantime, and THAT FEELS FINE.  (I can't believe this.  It's amazing!!!)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #439 on: February 14, 2018, 12:22:21 PM »
Ok, so it's halfway through the month, and I have been working on the Embroidered Magyar Coat (pics in my journal), and realizing I'm going to run out of the wool thread I've been using.  HERE'S THE BIG BREAKTHROUGH THAT IS GOING TO MEAN A STAR...

There's so much left to do for the coat (spin/weave the collar, design the back embroidery), and theres NO WAY I could finish during coat wearing season in the short term, so... it's ok.  I'll just finish knitting up the rest of the thread I have, making as much cording as it makes, and put it away for later.  I'll ask for more thread for birthday(Aug)/Christmas - it's hard to find, anyway.  I have plenty else to work on in the meantime, and THAT FEELS FINE.  (I can't believe this.  It's amazing!!!)

This is AMAZING! So many congrats to you on feeling okay about shifting your focus to other, more easily created portions of the coat right now. Boo-yah!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #440 on: February 14, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
Oh, oh sweets - Cadbury Caramel filled Easter eggs and the little plain solid chocolate Easter eggs.
I'm lucky in that Mr. R. gives me a Lindt chocolate bunny (my fave) and a package of three Cadbury Caramel eggs for Easter. It's become a tradition. Once I discovered this keeps me from roaming the Easter chocolate aisle and buying enough for five people, because of course, I like it all - that saved the day.

Valentine's day, I forgot to tell him no chocolate gift - I got three this morning. What was he thinking?:)
I asked for potted Anthurium lilies from Aldi - they are beautiful, and I sort of appropriated a gift card from his rewards card that I coveted:)
Just looking at all that chocolate prompted me to get out my bike, the weather is perfect and a nearby park has great biking trails.

I need to be more active, not eat more chocolate truffles! Says she who is making a chocolate mousse cup for Valentine's Dinner tonight - hypocrite.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #441 on: February 14, 2018, 12:42:52 PM »

You are ALL KINDS of amazing!!!

And I love you for reminding me that the month is half over. This has been a hard one for me. I have noticed that my triggers are when I feel tired and insecure. As a new Mom, this happens often. Shopping to the rescue! Not.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #442 on: February 14, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »
Oh, oh sweets - Cadbury Caramel filled Easter eggs and the little plain solid chocolate Easter eggs.
I'm lucky in that Mr. R. gives me a Lindt chocolate bunny (my fave) and a package of three Cadbury Caramel eggs for Easter. It's become a tradition. Once I discovered this keeps me from roaming the Easter chocolate aisle and buying enough for five people, because of course, I like it all - that saved the day.

Valentine's day, I forgot to tell him no chocolate gift - I got three this morning. What was he thinking?:)
I asked for potted Anthurium lilies from Aldi - they are beautiful, and I sort of appropriated a gift card from his rewards card that I coveted:)
Just looking at all that chocolate prompted me to get out my bike, the weather is perfect and a nearby park has great biking trails.

I need to be more active, not eat more chocolate truffles! Says she who is making a chocolate mousse cup for Valentine's Dinner tonight - hypocrite.

You can send the chocolates to me ;)

I’ve had chocolate for breakfast and lunch... oh and am like you, having a chocolate mousse cake with dinner! Lol you are a girl after my own heart!!

DH gave me $100 to buy lingerie or nightgown. I told him I’m not buying clothes so he can buy me something or keep the money. Sweet thought, he finds it hard to shop for me (understandably!) but I am resisting the urge to show for wearable clothes.

I did buy sunglasses for $7 because DH sat on my only pair. Sunglasses are not clothes or jewellery so I feel ok about that.

I’m still debating the walking shoes. Will probably buy some.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #443 on: February 14, 2018, 01:37:18 PM »
And I love you for reminding me that the month is half over. This has been a hard one for me. I have noticed that my triggers are when I feel tired and insecure. As a new Mom, this happens often. Shopping to the rescue! Not.

It's good to know that those are triggers for you! (I suspect they're triggers for all of us, really.)

Are there any things you can do to galvanize yourself when you're tired or insecure? Things that remind you that you are a competent and capable human, or ways to get a twenty minute nap when you need it? (I imagine the latter is especially hard, given the nature of babies.)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #444 on: February 14, 2018, 03:13:28 PM »

It's good to know that those are triggers for you! (I suspect they're triggers for all of us, really.)

Are there any things you can do to galvanize yourself when you're tired or insecure? Things that remind you that you are a competent and capable human, or ways to get a twenty minute nap when you need it? (I imagine the latter is especially hard, given the nature of babies.)

I will think on this! Excellent questions.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #445 on: February 14, 2018, 04:22:54 PM »
@TrisPrior

My hero, Gail Vaz-Oxlade, says you CAN have it all! ... just not all at the same time ;)

Gotta prioritize! Sparkly life, THEN sparkly jewellery ;)
I love that you quoted Gail--she is amazing.

Sparkly Life for the win! (while appreciating all the sparkly jewels we already have?) :)
I actually pulled out a pair of dangly earrings from India and wore them for our Valentines Day ramen lunch. ha.
Drama at unexpected moments is way more exciting!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: February 14, 2018, 04:30:50 PM »
I could have written this! Always on the hunt for good online art workshops.

Good idea!
I am giving up art workshops for the year.
Even though I studied arts and have taken many workshops--I always feel compelled to learn something new (even when I am not practicing half the things I would like to practice)

And books..no buying books (the library and our personal library will have to suffice)

Glad to have people who understand WootWoot!
I just recycled the beautiful booklets sent to me by one of my favorite schools about upcoming spring courses. It feels SO good to slowly begin looking at what I have half-finished and decide whether I want to move forward with things.

A friend is joining an arts-community which focuses on helping female artists develop the business side of their art practice and she invited me to come. It's expensive to join but seems very productive.
 I said no and that this year is for developing the skills I already have but sometimes neglect.
So yesterday I went upstairs, did some drawing, did some stitching and made some plans for a larger sculptural work I'd like to attempt this year. Feeling inspired!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #447 on: February 14, 2018, 09:04:38 PM »
Nice going, Serendip!

The group mentality is helping. I’m home alone because DH is at work and I’m browsing jewellery because I want to feel loved. I miss him and I want to fill the void with diamonds.

Not going to, though! I’ve tried that, and it doesn’t work.

As George Carlin says, "Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body".

Yup!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #448 on: February 15, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »
Nice going, Serendip!

The group mentality is helping. I’m home alone because DH is at work and I’m browsing jewellery because I want to feel loved. I miss him and I want to fill the void with diamonds.

Not going to, though! I’ve tried that, and it doesn’t work.

As George Carlin says, "Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body".

Yup!

The image of taped sandwiches is a good one...just replace that with any of our collective 'pins' and you get a pretty funny visualisation of our material selves trying to cover our emotional selves with 'stuff'  :)

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #449 on: February 15, 2018, 01:54:57 PM »

DH gave me $100 to buy lingerie or nightgown. I told him I’m not buying clothes so he can buy me something or keep the money. Sweet thought, he finds it hard to shop for me (understandably!) but I am resisting the urge to show for wearable clothes.
I’m still debating the walking shoes. Will probably buy some.

Can you use the $100 for the walking shoes?

He wants you to have something, and you need shoes for your health.  Think of it as a gift AND as a medical necessity.  Then it's okay.  Right?  (or am I just a bad influence?)