Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189460 times)

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #350 on: February 01, 2018, 07:54:07 PM »
I'm still on the wagon! Have not bought any more socks or tea. Honestly, at the rate I'm sucking down herbal tea (every time I want junk food, comfort food, or alcohol, which is often), I may have flat out cured my addiction. I'm completely sick of the stuff right now.

(The trick is to avoid buying new flavors because if I drink any more GD "sugar cookie" or "bengal spice" I may vomit. But, so far so good.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:55:47 PM by Tris Prior »

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #351 on: February 01, 2018, 08:13:40 PM »
Why tea?  First, I don’t drink coffee.  ;-). But second, it is a relatively guilt-free indulgence, and good tea tastes totally awesome.

For me, it is all mixed up in personal history.  Sweet tea at Granny’s as a kid, so warm fuzzies around tea from very small.  Needed caffeine by college, so that was a natural choice.  Grew up poor so never learned to really enjoy shopping and felt guilty about spending money - but once I had a job and some spare cash, I could justify a small indulgence, like a glass of tea while out, and not feel too bad about it.  And then I discovered some better teas while traveling, and found that I really noticed and appreciated the difference in flavor.  And then of course they don’t sell these things everywhere, and I hate shopping, so whenever I do see it, I tell myself I’d better stock up.  Multiply by 30 years and a lot more discretionary income than when I started, and you have a gazingus pin, a/k/a something that does serve a purpose, but that has become a spendy, unthinking habit that is out of proportion to that purpose — somehow, it just trips a switch in my brain that it is “ok” to buy tea, and that in fact I really should stock up when I find it, so the rational decision making part of my brain shuts off, and the moremoremore 3-yr-old takes over.

The nice thing is that just making it conscious again has gone a long way toward breaking the cycle.  The first time I walked past a tea shop, man, my knees got weak.  But now I’m looking at and appreciating what I already have and am enjoying recovering some more space and organization in my tea cabinet, so that I can see and enjoy what I have.  I have no intention of cutting out tea entirely, or even cutting back on my consumption.  I just need to be paying as much attention to those purchases as I do to other stuff - I needed to break that “automatic preapproval” cycle.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #352 on: February 01, 2018, 08:28:48 PM »
I think a lot of pins are similar because they are aspirational things:  crafting and sewing supplies - because we want to be creative and do all those Pinteresty things; books - because we want to be educated well-red; outdoor gear - because we want to be outdoorsy.  It's the same with my horse stuff - because I want to be a better rider, but of course buying matchy breeches and saddle pads don't do that; buying riding lessons and practicing as much as possible does that.

And I think you’re probably right about them being aspirational. I didn’t think about that but it really adds up!

Yes, for me it is definitely the aspirational aspect. A lot of times at work I'd find myself trying to distract myself from the things I didn't want to deal with (namely, work) by browsing gear or reading email ads. While I wanted to be doing these activities I loved, I couldn't because WORK, but I could certainly take a few minutes between tasks and order a new pair of socks. Maybe I skipped my workout the day before because I was tired when I got home, but I could buy some new shoes or a new kettlebell or whatever, and then I was still "committed" to my exercise goals. So that's why I'm trying to shift my focus to actually DOING the things I want to be doing, not buying things as a lame substitute.

Having several trips lined up for this year is definitely motivating, because I need to get in shape for them! But, I may have identified 1 thing that I think I will need to buy for a trip (a rodent proof food bag), but I don't think I will need it before a particular outing in September. So for now I'm just not going to worry about it. I will be on the look out for a reasonable substitute/alternative (do I already have something that will work? Does someone have one I can borrow, or maybe someone else on the trip will have room in their bag?) but I also don't want to be "that person" on the trip who doesn't have her crap together and sponges off of everyone else. But I don't need it for awhile, so I am going to wait and see if it really seems like a legitimate need or not.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #353 on: February 02, 2018, 12:35:19 AM »
I didn't sign up for this challenge but I'm still reading along (I suspect there is something I need from this thread, though).

I think a lot of pins are similar because they are aspirational things:  crafting and sewing supplies - because we want to be creative and do all those Pinteresty things; books - because we want to be educated well-red; outdoor gear - because we want to be outdoorsy.  It's the same with my horse stuff - because I want to be a better rider, but of course buying matchy breeches and saddle pads don't do that; buying riding lessons and practicing as much as possible does that.

This is from a minimalist blog, not a not-shopping blog, but I love this concept of a fantasy self. I came across this blog post a few years ago and still find it a really useful concept to work out what I actually need and want in terms of physical items, but also helps steer to what I want to be doing, rather than what I think I should be doing to live up to a fantasy self.

It might be relevant to some of you in this challenge. And lifejoy, if you want something to read, I found the comments well worth a read as well.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #354 on: February 02, 2018, 02:04:04 AM »
A star for me please - no fabric or patterns bought AND I have done some foundational thinking about my wardrobe and realised there is a definite hole for two of the three patterns that I am halfway through making.

Astatine- thanks for the fantasy self link, that is both intriguing and a useful tool.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:23:39 AM by mspym »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #355 on: February 02, 2018, 06:50:29 AM »
You folks have really hit it on the head about the aspirational aspect. Thank you for the fantasy self article! My fantasy self is a creative who surrounds herself with beautiful tasteful objects that she crafted herself. But in reality, I'm mostly an expert shopper, with my storage space bulging with craft materials such that my home is getting so cluttered that the net effect is a minus to beauty rather than a plus.

There's also the "pretty things" aspect.  It's really hard to resist the urge to collect pretty shiny things... all those lovely compact tins of tea, the sparkling stones in the jewelry, the colorful soft yarn and bright fabrics.

And lifejoy, you are absolutely right about leaving a great review for the yarn shop!  I will do so right away.  And maybe I'll teach a friend or two how to knit so as to leave the world at par for yarn buyers.

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #356 on: February 02, 2018, 07:34:21 AM »
There's a meme or two traveling around to the effect that "buying craft supplies" and "crafting" are two SEPARATE hobbies.  I fear this has been true for me as well, and I am endeavoring to change. 

I saw a piece on an amazing house, whose interior and porch were covered in glittered decoration and pattern - all of which was done in schoolchild art materials, from the grocery store, in rural Mississippi.  (Said art was moved to an art museum in Wisconsin.)  It doesn't take much extra (money, stuff) to be creative.

https://misspreservation.com/2016/08/19/going-inside-loy-bowlins-beautiful-holy-jewel-home/

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #357 on: February 02, 2018, 12:37:23 PM »
I didn't sign up for this challenge but I'm still reading along (I suspect there is something I need from this thread, though).

This is from a minimalist blog, not a not-shopping blog, but I love this concept of a fantasy self. I came across this blog post a few years ago and still find it a really useful concept to work out what I actually need and want in terms of physical items, but also helps steer to what I want to be doing, rather than what I think I should be doing to live up to a fantasy self.

It might be relevant to some of you in this challenge. And lifejoy, if you want something to read, I found the comments well worth a read as well.

Great link, thanks, @Astatine! I think part of decluttering, letting go or re-evaluating your gazingus pins is about entering another phase of your life. You are breaking with old habits, we grow, we reinvent ourselves, we move on - it is a natural process.
If we stay static and unchanged we end up mired in old habits that no longer serve us well, at their worst these unchecked behaviors may do serious damage to our health or destroy our financial lives.
Change is invigorating and letting go when you know you are ready is highly satisfying, but it is not easy and might take more time than we like to tackle the disposal of a collection.
Age and circumstances, environment and your health are all factors.

All change requires a good look at ourselves and our actions. It begs the question: who is this person? and who do I want to be? Not always comfortable, especially if you don't like what you see.
One day you wake up and something shifted and we start questioning ourselves and our values and desires and collections and indeed our very way of life.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #358 on: February 02, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »
I'm reporting back to say that all the fabric my husband purchase is now in pillow form so no extra fabric was added to the craft room. Also the pillows really do help pull the room together. Although we spent nearly $120 on pillows but I guess it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the 600 that was recommended

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #359 on: February 02, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »
Reporting back, I STILL have not touched an energy drink!  I have no idea how I am doing it.
I also joined a new gym a few weeks ago that has a sport and energy drink cooler RIGHT AT THE FRONT and I haven't even caved.  How?!?!  Yay!

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #360 on: February 02, 2018, 07:46:51 PM »
But now I’m looking at and appreciating what I already have and am enjoying recovering some more space and organization in my tea cabinet, so that I can see and enjoy what I have.  I have no intention of cutting out tea entirely, or even cutting back on my consumption.  I just need to be paying as much attention to those purchases as I do to other stuff - I needed to break that “automatic preapproval” cycle.

Bingo. I've been on autopilot where acquiring tea is concerned because it has replaced the more costly daily habit of buying beverages in to-go cups during the workday. The justification feels weird now because even a steady rate of consumption won't make a dent in what's in the cabinet. Now that I'm no longer contemplating the next purchase, it's much easier to relax and enjoy what's in my cup instead of experiencing this adrenaline-fueled thought that, "This is good. I should buy another pack."

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #361 on: February 03, 2018, 04:22:56 AM »
But now I’m looking at and appreciating what I already have and am enjoying recovering some more space and organization in my tea cabinet, so that I can see and enjoy what I have.  I have no intention of cutting out tea entirely, or even cutting back on my consumption.  I just need to be paying as much attention to those purchases as I do to other stuff - I needed to break that “automatic preapproval” cycle.

Bingo. I've been on autopilot where acquiring tea is concerned because it has replaced the more costly daily habit of buying beverages in to-go cups during the workday. The justification feels weird now because even a steady rate of consumption won't make a dent in what's in the cabinet. Now that I'm no longer contemplating the next purchase, it's much easier to relax and enjoy what's in my cup instead of experiencing this adrenaline-fueled thought that, "This is good. I should buy another pack."

+1 to enjoying what I have now, because acquiring more has been taken off the table. It has shifted my focus onto what I have instead of what I want.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #362 on: February 03, 2018, 04:46:27 AM »
I had to buy 3 skincare items in January, two derm prescribed.  But no makeup.  So, one month down. I realize this thread is NO purchases but going forward I should be able to keep to none unless absolutely necessary. Skincare does get used up but I should be good for the rest of the year.

Still, so far, so good. And I am thrilled with no makeup purchases at all.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #363 on: February 03, 2018, 06:57:18 AM »
Another thing I've noticed: we have a lot of people with identical gazingus pins. Isn't that interesting? I think some things lend themselves to collections better than others. But I wonder what it is about books, tea, crafting, jewellery, and junk food that make us addicted and crave more more more? Is it simply variety? FOMO? (Fear of missing out). Advertising? Hmm. I welcome your thoughts.

For me, books are escapism. My "gazingus pin drug of choice" is of the fictional variety for the most part*. As a kid, they were my main coping skill to get away from a less than ideal home life. As I got older and life got better, I continued using it as a coping skill but for avoidance of smaller things like the emotions felt after a hard day at work. Or I bought books/read simply to make me feel differently than however I felt before I picked up the book, good or bad.

Books still represent a means to live a different life which is silly because I like my life especially now that I've been working to craft the one I really want. It just seems like my autopilot is still on ("hey, buy that book so the next time you feel [insert emotion] you have another world to jump into").

Hmmmm.

*Less intense is my desire for books to better myself. I certainly do buy books for my "fantasy self" as well but the internal alarm doesn't sound as readily or loudly as it does when I'm perusing fiction.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #364 on: February 03, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »
I first read about the fantasy self on a decluttering blog.  That certainly opened my eyes, I decluttered several fantasy selves after that.  Once my house is sold about 98% of my gardening books will be, not exactly fantasy books, but no-longer-relevant-to-my renter's-life books.  And they will go.  To be honest, half of them could probably go now.  And 95% of my grubby clothes will also be gone when I am no longer gardening.  Frugalwoods has it right when she posts about all the "stuff" you need for rural living.

Hm, about 80% of the blouses in my closet could go too, they do not fit my retired lifestyle at all.  I think I have kept them just so that when prospective purchasers look in the closets they will see clothes.

I too used fiction (especially science fiction) as an escape when I was a child and especially a teenager.  I am so glad I am not a teenager any more.  Although I wish I still had my teenage body.  ;-)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #365 on: February 03, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »
Ok, pretty proud of myself right now! A best bud sent me a link of a purse saying “I bet you’d like this!”. Well guess what? I LOVE it. It’s everything I’m looking for! AND it was on sale. Whaaaaat.

But I decided that purses and bags count as clothing. So I did not buy!

And then today, DH says: if you want jewellery for Valentine’s Day, you can have anything you want as long as it’s under $1000. WHAT. Old me, 2017 me, would’ve been ecstatic! 2018 me demurely mumbled that that would not be necessary and maybe he could just make me a delicious meal. Ha! Who am I??? I don’t even recognize myself!

But suffice to say that I am staying strong :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #366 on: February 03, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »
Ok, pretty proud of myself right now! A best bud sent me a link of a purse saying “I bet you’d like this!”. Well guess what? I LOVE it. It’s everything I’m looking for! AND it was on sale. Whaaaaat.

And then today, DH says: if you want jewellery for Valentine’s Day, you can have anything you want as long as it’s under $1000. WHAT. Old me, 2017 me, would’ve been ecstatic! 2018 me demurely mumbled that that would not be necessary and maybe he could just make me a delicious meal. Ha! Who am I??? I don’t even recognize myself!

Worth feeling proud about!  Congrats: it's like watching yourself transform right before your own eyes (and ours, ha)

(and also JanetJackson with no energy drinks) so fantastic!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #367 on: February 03, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
Yes! Janet, Tris, and Laura - you guys are doing great!!!

Serendip, I like that. Thinking of it like a transformation. Very cool way to picture it. Who will I be by the end of 2018? Wait and see!

I’m still in shock that DH offered jewellery. He would typically never go for that! Good thing I have such steady resolve, lol ;)

Gahhhhh

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #368 on: February 03, 2018, 10:46:45 AM »
PS - I will catch up on stars for Janet etc once I’m at a laptop. My iPhone and Tapatalk doesn’t let me do the stars :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #369 on: February 03, 2018, 01:59:08 PM »
I bought two sets of gift cards today (my gazingus pin). My specific requirement is that I cannot buy gift cards unless I have an immediate purpose for them. (In the US, you can often get promotional credit by purchasing gift cards). I bought a Home Depot gift card (which will be used today) & earned a $45 Starbucks gift card. I also bought $100 of Uber credit, which generated a $20 grocery store gift card. I use Uber to & from the airport for work trips & get reimbursed. I've spent through all of my Christmas Uber credits, so refilled.

I am giving myself a pass on this, as both will be almost immediately used. The $20 reward for grocery store credit is an awesome win. The starbucks one is high value, but I would have passed unless we needed the Home Depot money for today. I use Starbucks only when traveling.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #370 on: February 03, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »

Amazing!!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #371 on: February 03, 2018, 06:19:45 PM »
Congratulations to everyone growing their willpower.

I had a potential activity today that involved an hour+ drive each way in -15C weather, where there would have been masses of lovely tempting fibre.  I stayed home.  I have to admit most years I would have gone for the socializing, but I am not feeling very social at the moment, so staying home was not a big sacrifice.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #372 on: February 03, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »
Not adding more seems to be inspiring me to clear out the old from my life - Another pile of clothes to take to the opshop. More books moved to the little free libraries nearby.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #373 on: February 03, 2018, 10:40:29 PM »
Not adding more seems to be inspiring me to clear out the old from my life - Another pile of clothes to take to the opshop. More books moved to the little free libraries nearby.

I am feeling this way, too!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #374 on: February 03, 2018, 11:02:41 PM »

Yes! Me too! I love it.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #375 on: February 04, 2018, 06:42:53 AM »
I think it is interesting that we have such a variety of pins, AND that there are still so many overlaps.  Personally, I don't think I have a single piece of jewelry that cost more that $30 besides my wedding ring.  I can't even imagine what I would spend $1000 on - I wouldn't have space for all the $20 earrings I could buy :)

However, my crossfit gym is selling shirts for the 2018 Crossfit Open, and they're only $20, and I am weirdly attached to having lots of workout shirts.  I only wear like 4 of the 15 or 20 I have now.  It's a mixture of color preferences, how they fit while I'm a little heavier than I used to be, and style for crossfit vs yoga or rock climbing, but I obviously don't need ANOTHER workout shirt. 

But I really really want it.  /sigh

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #376 on: February 04, 2018, 09:08:34 AM »
I think it is interesting that we have such a variety of pins, AND that there are still so many overlaps.  Personally, I don't think I have a single piece of jewelry that cost more that $30 besides my wedding ring.  I can't even imagine what I would spend $1000 on - I wouldn't have space for all the $20 earrings I could buy :)

However, my crossfit gym is selling shirts for the 2018 Crossfit Open, and they're only $20, and I am weirdly attached to having lots of workout shirts.  I only wear like 4 of the 15 or 20 I have now.  It's a mixture of color preferences, how they fit while I'm a little heavier than I used to be, and style for crossfit vs yoga or rock climbing, but I obviously don't need ANOTHER workout shirt. 

Haha my dad made a comment about the cost of jewellery and then I asked him how much he’s spent on beer in his lifetime. That made him shaddup and think! We all have our thing that we think is worth the cost. (I almost never drink. My beer money goes towards jewellery! Or used to...)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #377 on: February 04, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »

An extra sparkly star for lifejoy please:)
We had the exact same conversation and I too choked a little bit - I think we are not quite fluent in this new language yet:)
Feb - so far not even tempted, mostly because I keep focusing more and more on my upcoming trip, so my attention is pleasantly engaged elsewhere.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #378 on: February 04, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »

An extra sparkly star for lifejoy please:)
We had the exact same conversation and I too choked a little bit - I think we are not quite fluent in this new language yet:)
Feb - so far not even tempted, mostly because I keep focusing more and more on my upcoming trip, so my attention is pleasantly engaged elsewhere.

Solidarity!!!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #379 on: February 04, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »

Yes!!  I am now also working through the collection of half-used cosmetics samples and products -- I don't wear much makeup, so those things tend to stick around forever, and I have just decided I am not buying more of that until I get rid of what I have.  Not a gazingus pin, though, as that has piled up through sheer laziness and lack of interest.  ;-)

@lifejoy:  congrats!  What a HUGE win!!!

One more little bag of tea gone here, too -- one of those that I hadn't finished because I didn't really love it, but I just sucked it up and drank it, and now I don't have to think about it or waste cabinet space on it any more.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #380 on: February 05, 2018, 01:34:27 AM »

Yes!!  I am now also working through the collection of half-used cosmetics samples and products -- I don't wear much makeup, so those things tend to stick around forever, and I have just decided I am not buying more of that until I get rid of what I have.  Not a gazingus pin, though, as that has piled up through sheer laziness and lack of interest.  ;-)

@lifejoy:  congrats!  What a HUGE win!!!

One more little bag of tea gone here, too -- one of those that I hadn't finished because I didn't really love it, but I just sucked it up and drank it, and now I don't have to think about it or waste cabinet space on it any more.

@Laura33 I've been slowly throwing out all my halfused makeup and taking the random samples on trips to get rid of them. 

Amazing how inertia keeps you from removing things you haven't touched in YEARS. Once you start looking, it's *everywhere*

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #381 on: February 05, 2018, 07:06:37 AM »
I recently gave nearly my entire collection of hotel toiletries to the food bank. We stay at really nice hotels for work- so these are often high end products, and it is hard to part with them.  I kept a few of my favorites for the guest bath, poured my absolute favorites into a larger bottle for my bathroom, and gave away the rest.

It was shockingly hard to part with free toiletries.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #382 on: February 05, 2018, 11:39:43 AM »

If you find yourself starting to cave, just think: All those other now-unworn tops were wants at some point along the way. Will it really make you happy to add another one to the pile?

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #383 on: February 05, 2018, 12:09:01 PM »

Great link, thanks, @Astatine! I think part of decluttering, letting go or re-evaluating your gazingus pins is about entering another phase of your life. You are breaking with old habits, we grow, we reinvent ourselves, we move on - it is a natural process.
If we stay static and unchanged we end up mired in old habits that no longer serve us well, at their worst these unchecked behaviors may do serious damage to our health or destroy our financial lives.
Change is invigorating and letting go when you know you are ready is highly satisfying, but it is not easy and might take more time than we like to tackle the disposal of a collection.
Age and circumstances, environment and your health are all factors.

All change requires a good look at ourselves and our actions. It begs the question: who is this person? and who do I want to be? Not always comfortable, especially if you don't like what you see.
One day you wake up and something shifted and we start questioning ourselves and our values and desires and collections and indeed our very way of life.

I just wanted to pop in and say how much I've enjoyed the discussion on this thread about why gazingus pins are gazingus pins for us -- it's such a good read and food for thought.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #384 on: February 05, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »
I want to add a second gazingus pin - candles.   I will not buy another candle this year.

I finished one over the weekend and went to my stash to pull out another one.  OMG I have a lot of candles - and that's after I "decluttered" the candle cabinet last summer!  This time, I grabbed one of the "beautiful" ones that I've had for years and refused to burn because it was sooo pretty.  It doesn't look pretty hidden in the stupid cabinet in the laundry room.  Now it will fulfill it's purpose in life and make me happy looking at it (and smelling it) in my living room.

As for why certain objects become gazingus pins...I have an overactive brain.  If I don't give it something to do, it goes nuts thinking about all kinds of crap....like a three-hour spell pondering why certain words are spelled one way and other words are spelled another way.  Or I start doing massive house projects because I need to be active in some way.  I can't turn it off...except with books.  I love to escape into other worlds.  I read voraciously (I've finished 16 books so far in 2018 and am halfway through three others - which means I'm off my normal pace), and I reread voraciously.  It's easier to have the books here with me than go to the library, which might be closed or might not have the exact book I want to read right at this moment.

[This is not a new thing.  My tiny hometown opened its first library when I was 15.  The children's section was literally 90% books I donated since I had outgrown them.  Once I hauled them to the library, I still had 1,000 books in my bedroom, and I could find whichever one I wanted within 2 minutes.]

Candles are just pretty, and they smell good.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #385 on: February 05, 2018, 02:59:13 PM »
I want to add a second gazingus pin - candles.   I will not buy another candle this year.

I finished one over the weekend and went to my stash to pull out another one.  OMG I have a lot of candles - and that's after I "decluttered" the candle cabinet last summer!  This time, I grabbed one of the "beautiful" ones that I've had for years and refused to burn because it was sooo pretty.  It doesn't look pretty hidden in the stupid cabinet in the laundry room.  Now it will fulfill it's purpose in life and make me happy looking at it (and smelling it) in my living room.

As for why certain objects become gazingus pins...I have an overactive brain.  If I don't give it something to do, it goes nuts thinking about all kinds of crap....like a three-hour spell pondering why certain words are spelled one way and other words are spelled another way.  Or I start doing massive house projects because I need to be active in some way.  I can't turn it off...except with books.  I love to escape into other worlds.  I read voraciously (I've finished 16 books so far in 2018 and am halfway through three others - which means I'm off my normal pace), and I reread voraciously.  It's easier to have the books here with me than go to the library, which might be closed or might not have the exact book I want to read right at this moment.

[This is not a new thing.  My tiny hometown opened its first library when I was 15.  The children's section was literally 90% books I donated since I had outgrown them.  Once I hauled them to the library, I still had 1,000 books in my bedroom, and I could find whichever one I wanted within 2 minutes.]

I am so impressed that you've read 16 books this year!  Nice.  I read quickly (especially compared to DH who reads, like, one book a year), but I think I've only read 5 or 6.  Does your library do e-books?  I like reserving the ones I want, and then being able to download them immediately when they email me that they're available instead of having to make a trip all the way to the library :)  The selection isn't always great, but it's a nice supplement to your zillions of books at home.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #386 on: February 05, 2018, 03:13:42 PM »
Dang it.  I just realized that I forgot to put my clothes swap on my Google calendar, because it has moved dates twice since I originally accepted the FB invite.  We're going to be out of town on our anniversary trip with friends that weekend :(  I was looking forward to it so much!  It's hosted by my pastor's wife, and this is the 11th annual swap - I've made all 10 of the previous ones. 

Now I'm really sad, and all DH said was "Well, the calendar was free when we made our plans.  You wanna bail on the trip?"  /sigh.  Just commiseration, dude, come on.  That's all I want.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #387 on: February 06, 2018, 08:21:17 AM »
@chaskavitch , I haven't gotten into ebooks yet.  I have a Nook, but it's probably sitting in a drawer with a dead battery.  I should probably learn to like it.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #388 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »
Dang it.  I just realized that I forgot to put my clothes swap on my Google calendar, because it has moved dates twice since I originally accepted the FB invite.  We're going to be out of town on our anniversary trip with friends that weekend :(  I was looking forward to it so much!  It's hosted by my pastor's wife, and this is the 11th annual swap - I've made all 10 of the previous ones. 

Now I'm really sad, and all DH said was "Well, the calendar was free when we made our plans.  You wanna bail on the trip?"  /sigh.  Just commiseration, dude, come on.  That's all I want.

I can show you commiseration! That SUCKS!!!!!! But I bet you get to attend the next one :)

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #389 on: February 06, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »

I am so impressed that you've read 16 books this year!  Nice.  I read quickly (especially compared to DH who reads, like, one book a year), but I think I've only read 5 or 6.  Does your library do e-books?  I like reserving the ones I want, and then being able to download them immediately when they email me that they're available instead of having to make a trip all the way to the library :)  The selection isn't always great, but it's a nice supplement to your zillions of books at home.

This. This is my new favorite thing. I have so many ebooks on hold and it’s like my birthday each time one is ready for me to read. I can download onto my phone and anytime I have a few spare minutes or want to zone out over lunch at work or something, I can pull up the book and read a few chapters. Best thing ever.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #390 on: February 08, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »
Win for me!

Last night I finished the first book in a series.  It was sooo good, and I wanted to read the next three. 

Normally I'd place an Amazon order and get them this weekend.  Instead, I ordered them from the library...and they'll be in my branch on Saturday.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #391 on: February 08, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
Sweet win ^^^

Checking in - ALMOST caved just now, saved by a snafu when I tried to order. I took it as a sign that I need to stay on the straight and narrow.
Even the universe is telling me to stop!:)

Sigh - not really happy with myself and not really happy that the order didn't go through either.
Damn, I thought I was doing so well - guess I deceived myself.
I am still in danger of caving.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #392 on: February 08, 2018, 06:25:41 PM »
Win for me!

Last night I finished the first book in a series.  It was sooo good, and I wanted to read the next three. 

Normally I'd place an Amazon order and get them this weekend.  Instead, I ordered them from the library...and they'll be in my branch on Saturday.

That is all kinds of excellent! Not only are you reading for *free*, but you are also helping your local library by beefing up their statistics! Really helpful for when they request funding and/or need stats to prove their worth. Go, you!!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2018, 06:26:35 PM »
Sweet win ^^^

Checking in - ALMOST caved just now, saved by a snafu when I tried to order. I took it as a sign that I need to stay on the straight and narrow.
Even the universe is telling me to stop!:)

Sigh - not really happy with myself and not really happy that the order didn't go through either.
Damn, I thought I was doing so well - guess I deceived myself.
I am still in danger of caving.

It takes time. Be kind to yourself! You’re doing really really well! And I think it WAS a sign from the universe ;)

The universe is rooting for you!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2018, 09:33:01 PM »
Well, I won't be getting a star for February.  I rode after work yesterday and my horse got too sweaty for me to fully dry her out.  Luckily, it was warm enough to leave her a bit damp and naked, as I couldn't put her waterproof sheet on, trapping the residual sweat, and her cooler isn't safe to leave on overnight.  So today I ordered her a moisture-wicking sheet that will be safe to leave on overnight so she can finish drying and not get chilled after a workout. Options were:  using my larger horse's sheet, which she would get lots of poo on due to it hanging off her arse, or me spending an extra 30-45 minutes at the barn getting her thoroughly dry after each ride.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: February 09, 2018, 05:26:53 AM »
Win for me -- yesterday I had a flat tire after work and took my car to a tire shop.  I was hungry and thirsty and they had a snack machine right there for me tempting me with sodas and snacks.  I almost rationalized buying something saying I had had a difficult afternoon, I was tired, and I said my Gazingus Pin was "vending machine snacks at work" not "vending machine snacks after work" so.. technicality.

But, I took some long drinks of water from the water fountain and didn't buy anything.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #396 on: February 09, 2018, 06:46:00 AM »
@ crusty, now that's fortitude! Yay for your win - staying strong in the face of temptation amidst an "I deserve it" moment. Kudos!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #397 on: February 09, 2018, 07:09:19 AM »
Did I mention that the ring I tried to order last night is now following me around on the Internet? Every time I open up a new page - the picture of that damn ring pops up - that is just cruel and unusual punishment!

@ horsepoor - interesting dilemma. My first inclination is to say 45 minutes of your time saved several times this year is worth it. Preventing the horse from illness is more important than anything. That would be a necessity.
However, you can do without that moisture wicking blanket and do the work.

But then - we are trying to flex our hardcore MMM muscles in just this one area of our lives. Definitely not an easy feat.

Here is an evil suggestion: To drive the point home we could give out cream puffs at the end of the month to those of us who do not make it that month? I almost qualified for one last night - it is soo easy to give in, almost an automatic reaction. I really do want to break that habit.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #398 on: February 09, 2018, 07:58:42 AM »
Did I mention that the ring I tried to order last night is now following me around on the Internet? Every time I open up a new page - the picture of that damn ring pops up - that is just cruel and unusual punishment!

@ horsepoor - interesting dilemma. My first inclination is to say 45 minutes of your time saved several times this year is worth it. Preventing the horse from illness is more important than anything. That would be a necessity.
However, you can do without that moisture wicking blanket and do the work.

But then - we are trying to flex our hardcore MMM muscles in just this one area of our lives. Definitely not an easy feat.

Here is an evil suggestion: To drive the point home we could give out cream puffs at the end of the month to those of us who do not make it that month? I almost qualified for one last night - it is soo easy to give in, almost an automatic reaction. I really do want to break that habit.

Gah! Rosy! How cruel that the ring is following you! I have had that happen to me. If you open up a “private” or “incognito” internet window, will it go away? I’m just hypothesizing.

Rosy, sometimes I pretend I’ve bought the ring. The itch to buy it disappears (in a pretend way) and I ask myself: has my life changed? Nope. I just have another ring in the drawer and I’ve lost that addictive urge. Going through that mental process kind of wakes me up.

And I think you make good points about how easy it is to give in.

I’ve been having leg pain and my massage therapist told me that wearing shoes with proper support (like running shoes for walking) could help. I’m not sure what to do. My ability to get size 9 running shoes for free is... limited.

Hmm. Maybe I can wear my hiking shoes. I will have to do some research.

As far as horsepoor is concerned, my initial reaction was, “its for the good of the horse! How could she say no?” But after thinking some more and reading your comment Rosy, I think there could always be an excuse like that. Similar to parents who buy stuff for their children. Sometimes it’s a true need (food!) and sometimes not (toys). Horsepoor, I can see this will be a good challenge for you. What are you hoping to get out of 2018? Have you added up how much you’re spending on your horse? I suspect it could be more than you realize.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #399 on: February 09, 2018, 08:02:22 AM »
Oh, I also wanted to tell you guys:

Not spending money on jewellery and clothes has freed up a lot of my disposable fun money. It allowed me to commit a random act of kindness yesterday. It was really great to realize: hmm. Instead of a new pair of jeans I got to make that person’s day. This kind of feels better than a new pair of jeans...

Definitely this is an awareness and realization process for me! And it’s only February.