Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189418 times)

Izybat

• Stubble
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2018, 07:56:37 PM »
Today was a really tempting day to eat out, though to be honest, they all seem to be. It was cold this morning and I had to scrape my windshield. I got in the car to drive to work and immediately thought "I should get a hot chocolate and a donut to warm up!". I had just eaten breakfast.... I didn't give in and I didn't hit the vending machine at work. One workday down. The next few will be harder and easier at the same time. I'm traveling for work for the next four days, so less temptation to snack or buy extra food while I'm out.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: January 29, 2018, 08:12:23 PM »
Star star star star star!!!!!!!  Yesyesyes!!!  I have finished two partial tins of tea this week, including sucking it up and finishing off the rest of my favorite tea ever that I can’t get any more, and I am drinking the sort of “meh” teas because I need to get rid of them, and I have repurposed the empty pretty tins for other teas to make the best use of the space in my cabinet, and I have bought NO new teas - not even at the grocery store.  Very proud of myself.  I want my gold star, dammit!!!!!  ;-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #302 on: January 29, 2018, 08:24:49 PM »
Stars are an excellent idea, 12 gold stars at the end of the year would be a good goal.  I'm enjoying following this thread, everyone is doing great!

Yesterday I got an email from SmartPak Equine with additional 20% off of clearance stuff.  I got as far as having two pairs of breeches in my cart before I decided I didn't really like the color of the pair that was truly a good deal, and the deal wasn't that great on the pair I really liked.  Clicked out of there without buying anything.  Now that I took advantage of the 50% off promo on horse supplements I needed to buy, I will unsubscribe from their emails.

Received a Dover Saddlery catalog in the mail today and deposited it directly in the recycling bin.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #303 on: January 29, 2018, 09:21:00 PM »
Oooh yay for stars!!

I am still holding strong, no new outdoor or fitness gear has been purchased. I'm totally focusing on getting outside and using the gear I already own and its been excellent. I hiked both Saturday and Sunday, and ran MWF last week. And I'm making plans with some friends for a trip in Sep/Oct to the amazing Havasupai Indian Reservation (difficult-to-get permits go on sale Thursday, wish us luck).

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #304 on: January 29, 2018, 09:23:41 PM »
Woohoo! Exciting days ahead :)

Ok so you guys will totally help me figure out if one of y’all is missing a star, right? I mean I’m good, but I have a baby and sleep eludes me so I can’t pretend I’ll get it perfect first shot :)

Yay I feel like a kindergarten teacher.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #305 on: January 29, 2018, 10:28:48 PM »
It's up to you if I get a star. Fabric came into my house, and I picked it out. But DH bought it (because of this challenge). It's not his gazingus pin...

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #306 on: January 29, 2018, 10:38:01 PM »
It's up to you if I get a star. Fabric came into my house, and I picked it out. But DH bought it (because of this challenge). It's not his gazingus pin...

Aw you’re sweet to give me the power but I consider this a personal challenge! You’ll have to tell me if you feel like you bought a gazingus pin for January

Edited to add: part of why I need you to tell me is because I don’t know what your financial situation is like with your husband. If my husband bought me jewellery I picked out with OUR money, I’d call that me buying a gazingus pin. If he used his fun money to buy me jewellery, hmm definitely more of a grey area and I think then it would depend on what my specific goals were.

Part of my goal is to resist the itch. So I’m being pretty rigid with myself. It sounds like your situation was the lesser of two “evils” - your DH was going to buy pillows if you didn’t make them (IIRC). So anyways, up to you! Whichever will encourage you more to stay strong for the rest of the year
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:42:59 PM by lifejoy »

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: January 30, 2018, 12:54:30 AM »
(...)

What about a delayed star awarded when the fabric is all pillows, if that is not yet the case? If it is finished, then it's basically a pillow purchase accomplished for cheaper, win! But if not, it's contributing to the stash-of-materials/unfinished-projects problem. :)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: January 30, 2018, 01:54:26 AM »
Star star star!
I am avoiding the fabric shops near work and am maintaining rigid unsubscribe boundaries on my email. Plus the pile of half finished projects is still in my line of sight, taunting me whenever I feel tempted.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #309 on: January 30, 2018, 03:24:26 AM »
Lifejoy, my husband and I have shared money, and no personally allocated funds. We don't have any sort of budget, just a "don't spend a lot of money" plan that has always worked. We actually don't do gifts for the reason you said. Him buying something for me is just spending our money, I might as well buy it myself!  But he bought the fabric because he wanted the pillows.  And I didn't buy myself a birthday present last week.

So I get a star :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #310 on: January 30, 2018, 04:14:02 AM »
Lifejoy, my husband and I have shared money, and no personally allocated funds. We don't have any sort of budget, just a "don't spend a lot of money" plan that has always worked. We actually don't do gifts for the reason you said. Him buying something for me is just spending our money, I might as well buy it myself!  But he bought the fabric because he wanted the pillows.  And I didn't buy myself a birthday present last week.

So I get a star :)

Works for me! Happy belated birthday! That’s some good willpower right there. I loooove buying myself a birthday present. Good job, you!

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #311 on: January 30, 2018, 07:06:07 AM »
Hope it’s not too late to join in on this one but my gazingus pins are books like many others here. There is little I love more than buying a stack of new books and coming home to curl up with a warm beverage, my robe and cozy socks to read the day away. (If I were being cut throat I’d add tea to the list but I’m going for progress here - don’t want to give myself a breakdown :)

So in 2018, it’s books for me! Couple caveats I want to throw in for myself:
1. If there’s a new book on my radar, must check library first!
2. Cannot buy new books unless it is with cash received from selling other books back. This way books can’t come in the door unless enough books have gone out the door to pay for them (hmmm...is this cheating?)
3. Cannot buy a book unless it’s guaranteed I will re-read it and criteria for #2 is met

Welcome! It sounds like I should’ve made a “Buy less gazingus pins for 2018!” Thread ;)

I jest, I jest! I agree, progress is progress. I’ll add you to the first post :)

@lifejoy YOU’RE RIGHT. Ok. I’m in. No caveats. No book purchases in 2018. So far, so good this month. Although now I feel extra twitchy...

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: January 30, 2018, 07:08:55 AM »
Hope it’s not too late to join in on this one but my gazingus pins are books like many others here. There is little I love more than buying a stack of new books and coming home to curl up with a warm beverage, my robe and cozy socks to read the day away. (If I were being cut throat I’d add tea to the list but I’m going for progress here - don’t want to give myself a breakdown :)

2. Cannot buy new books unless it is with cash received from selling other books back. This way books can’t come in the door unless enough books have gone out the door to pay for them (hmmm...is this cheating?)
3. Cannot buy a book unless it’s guaranteed I will re-read it and criteria for #2 is met

Welcome! It sounds like I should’ve made a “Buy less gazingus pins for 2018!” Thread ;)

I jest, I jest! I agree, progress is progress. I’ll add you to the first post :)

@lifejoy YOU’RE RIGHT. Ok. I’m in. No caveats. No book purchases in 2018. So far, so good this month. Although now I feel extra twitchy...

Woo, peer pressure FTW!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #313 on: January 30, 2018, 08:11:50 AM »
Hope it’s not too late to join in on this one but my gazingus pins are books like many others here. There is little I love more than buying a stack of new books and coming home to curl up with a warm beverage, my robe and cozy socks to read the day away. (If I were being cut throat I’d add tea to the list but I’m going for progress here - don’t want to give myself a breakdown

Welcome! It sounds like I should’ve made a “Buy less gazingus pins for 2018!” Thread

I jest, I jest! I agree, progress is progress. I’ll add you to the first post

Wooooohoo!!!! Go Zeli! You can do it. Be creative. Be strong. It’s only for 11 more months! And think of how badass you will feel on December 31

Hehe now we just have to peer pressure @formerlydivorcedmom to follow suit! :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:19:23 AM by lifejoy »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #314 on: January 30, 2018, 09:31:06 AM »

Think of how many wonderful books you already own, waiting for you to pick up their familiar covers again and while away some time with them!

And think of how many wonderful books are sitting in the library, waiting for human hands to pick them up and treat them gently.

You got this!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2018, 09:36:24 AM »
CONGRATS to all of you if you made it this far! If not - just start over, it takes time to change your habits, possibly replace them with a new, outstanding, good for you habit. I see more gold stars in our future:)

@lifejoy I'll be standing in line for my first gold star tomorrow - ready to polish it with my jewelry cleaning cloth:)

January has been a really tough month - temptations galore.
1. The little devil sitting on my shoulder whispered that gift cards don't count - umm, yes, clearly that is an excuse to buy.
2. Then I kept rationalizing that I could allow myself - just one inexpensive item of jewelry every month to ease the transition,
    umm, NO - I am abstaining - period.

In January:
1. Told Mr. R. - no jewelry for my birthday (although we do have separate finances)
2. Resisted strong temptations for two purchases - that I'm secretly still shedding a tear over:)
3. Decided not to indulge myself for my birthday with a jewelry purchase either.

To firm my resolve for February:
I am re-directing my money to my two goals for 2018 instead. I want to travel and save money way more than I want to acquire more jewelry.
In truth, the time has come to stop collecting anyway.
There will be a reward in 2019, a long coveted Italian gold necklace for my birthday.

Maybe it will get a bit easier in February as we strengthen our badass mustachian muscles and set aside our creampuff entitlement attitude.
We can do this together - thanks for all of your support.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2018, 03:33:57 PM »
My gazingus pin temptation is snacks from the vending machine at work.  I've done great this month (I want that gold star!!) but I do notice that I've been eating more snacks at home as a result.

I buy the doritos and cheese doodles for the kids to take to school as snacks, but lately I will eat a bunch myself when I get home from work or after dinner.

This was NEVER something I would do before and it is counter to the spirit of this challenge.

I bought a ton of popcorn kernels instead to keep on hand for late night snacking if need be.  That's my usual snack anyhow.  And I need to think of other habits, like coming home from work and drinking a nice cool glass of ice water while I relax.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #317 on: January 30, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »
HAHA Rosy, you make me laugh! An 18k gold star for you!!!

CrustyBadger - I am impressed at your awareness and introspection. Myself, I try to replace unhealthy snacks with stuff that will fill me up. Mini carrots instead of chips, peanut butter on toast instead of chocolate. I'm human so it doesn't always work. But maybe you could think of things you could eat so that your tum isn't empty, but that aren't nutritionless snacks? "Eat to Live" is a book that really helped me see food differently.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34451.Eat_to_Live

So I'm reading this book about addiction, and it had a part about dopamine being released in the brain even when we just see a cue of the thing we're addicted to. I.e. if you see a chocolate bar, you don't even have to be eating it yet, and your brain will release the happy chemicals just by SEEING it. And then there is an urge to consummate the desire of eating it...

Anyways all of that to say, y'all are right and I have to get out of temptation's way. No more online browsing for me! The looking clearly makes my brain happy, but it's also tortuously tempting!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #318 on: January 30, 2018, 05:26:25 PM »
Ok I went back nearly ten pages and also made some educated guesses. I’m sure I’ve missed people that haven’t checked in for a little while. If I’ve missed you on the first post, please let me know and I’ll add your star

If January was not your month, know that changes take time! Be kind to yourself. Maybe January was what you needed in order to mentally prepare for Frugal February
Stay strong and carry on!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #319 on: January 30, 2018, 06:35:52 PM »
Poundwise is so right!  When I was a poor broke poor grad student there was no internet, but there were masses of advertising inserts in the Saturday paper.  I never looked at them, because if I did I would see all sorts of things I wanted.  IF I didn't see the ads I didn't feel the "need" for the stuff.

One of my gazingus pins is fibre (I spin) and I have a stash that will keep me going for a few years.  I am totally avoiding events where there will be masses of yummy fibre for sale, because it would be so so easy to buy some.  You know, you bury your hands in this luscious fluff, and dream of the yarns that it will make, and the next thing you know you have bought it.

LOL I thought you meant spin class and edible fibre! LOL

Do you want me to add you to the first post? No fibre for 2018?

Sure!  Although this is a carry-over from 2917, I haven't bought any for at least 6 months. I did get a gift bag last fall but it was free (and lovely alpaca, so nice, perfect colour), given out to everyone in a group.  So I gather I am eligible for a star?

My other gazingus pin is books, but since I joined a good library that itch has been well satisfied.  I still read a lot, all for my annual membership (non-resident) which is a tiny fraction of the cost of the books.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #320 on: January 30, 2018, 07:05:30 PM »
Lifejoy: I don't deserve a star! Remember, I caved this month ;)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #321 on: January 30, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »

My bad!!

Thanks for the correction :)

Hope I whet your appetite for next month!

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #322 on: January 30, 2018, 07:24:53 PM »

My bad!!

As long as you don't whet my appetite for tea ;) (kidding...)

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #323 on: January 30, 2018, 09:08:13 PM »
Oh my goodness.  The star is amazing. I. Am. So. Motivated. BECAUSE OF THE STAR.

I’m 5 years old and I love it.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #324 on: January 30, 2018, 09:29:11 PM »

My bad!!

I hope you’re re-using those tea bags! ;)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #325 on: January 30, 2018, 09:29:47 PM »
Oh my goodness.  The star is amazing. I. Am. So. Motivated. BECAUSE OF THE STAR.

I’m 5 years old and I love it.

Oh yes.... and there’s another star in it for you if you make it through February!!!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: January 30, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »
oohh..I want the star!

No books bought this year ( I found one I really wanted to read and of course my library had it and another one they brought in when I requested it!).

I've extended 'no art workshops' to include no self-improvement courses and resisted a yoga retreat. It's funny--these are good things but I know my gazingus pin...I've got plenty of things to work with without adding more :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #327 on: January 30, 2018, 11:39:23 PM »
oohh..I want the star!

No books bought this year ( I found one I really wanted to read and of course my library had it and another one they brought in when I requested it!).

I've extended 'no art workshops' to include no self-improvement courses and resisted a yoga retreat. It's funny--these are good things but I know my gazingus pin...I've got plenty of things to work with without adding more :)

Excellent!! My phone is not letting me add stars. I will do it as soon as I can get to a computer or desktop :)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #328 on: January 31, 2018, 03:24:08 AM »
Posting for accountability: I don't think I am subbing in new gazingus pins but sometime in mid-January I had a realisation that I could no longer pirate books and I *must* buy or borrow from the library if I want one. I've always bought a LOT of books, but I've also downloaded a lot too and that's not something I can justify or excuse anymore. Ethics man, they pop up when you don't expect it.

And like everyone else my tea collection is getting a bit ridiculous - at least 15 varieties of black and herbal - but since that has been my substitute for alcohol over the last 6 months I am giving myself a pass on it as long as I keep drinking it at my current rate. I am prepared to add this to my pins if I lose my ability to say "but this tea is a slight variation on 3 teas I already have, if I want that flavour I should ue one I already own".

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #329 on: January 31, 2018, 01:00:59 PM »
I felt the urge to buy books today so I got on the library website and requested several books from other branches.  They will be in on Friday :)

I'm not going to get to 0 for the year.  My favorite authors have new books coming out, and I know I will reread those umpteen times (probably 3x each this year), and, um, they're already preordered.  I may be able to get down to less than the 12 I had limited myself to, though - I think I only have 6 preordered.

The children found out about my challenge and assumed it also applied to them.  D12 asked me to request a book she wants from the library.  D8 used his allowance to buy a book he's been wanting - he didn't even ask me to buy it first!

Official January total - 1 book, bought before I joined this challenge.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #330 on: January 31, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »
Checking in to claim my star...in the month of January there were no books, jewelry, clothes, or amazon purchases (for me, there was that one thing for Cheapskate kid but it came out of his account)

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #331 on: January 31, 2018, 04:28:01 PM »
I think I may need a new gazingus pin.  This month without work snack food was very easy to accomplish. 

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #332 on: January 31, 2018, 06:25:51 PM »

My bad!!

I hope you’re re-using those tea bags! ;)

Oh, I drink loose teas! It tastes better, creates much less waste, and offers more steeps :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #333 on: January 31, 2018, 07:05:36 PM »
I think I may need a new gazingus pin.  This month without work snack food was very easy to accomplish.
One month usually isn't too hard for anything.
You need the resolve to keep it going

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #334 on: January 31, 2018, 10:14:46 PM »
I'm checking in for my January star.  No new purchases of tools even though I had a couple of trips to the hardware.  I did repair one, but that is different to the casual collecting that I am trying to break.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #335 on: January 31, 2018, 10:24:52 PM »
Finishing the month with just one skincare purchase, well 3, today the doc gave me script for 2 products for acne. I did need all 3 so not regret purchases. I consider January a success.  Bring on February.  I am ready to have no purchases of this kind at all. I dont need a thing.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #336 on: February 01, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »

Oh no, iowajes:) - this first month about killed me, but I think February will be a breeze. I got the worst of the collection fever out of my system for now, anyway.
This was a major mindset adjustment - there were plenty of times when I thought I couldn't do it - even for just one month.

Besides, with all this talk about books and me not buying jewelry, I used a little of my discretionary funds on books - treated myself at B&N to a finance book that was on my list to buy (got it from the library first, but I wanted my own copy) and picked up two of their half off books in defiance. I mean, that is what discretionary or pocket money is for, right?:)
Membership at B&N is about to run out soon. I decided not to renew, so at least I took advantage of that extra 10% off - so there is that.

Not another gazingus pin - I don't think I could handle that, but it gave me some relief/reward and I may even repeat that maybe in March - a coffee, an apple thingie and one book, I love their cafe.
I do better when there is a reward:), but I'll only do it if I make it through Feb without buying gemstones/jewelry. Gotta show some restraint, even a creampuff mustachian must have some standards after all, n'est pas?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:25:00 AM by Rosy »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #337 on: February 01, 2018, 11:07:02 AM »

Oh no, iowajes:) - this first month about killed me, but I think February will be a breeze. I got the worst of the collection fever out of my system for now, anyway.
This was a major mindset adjustment - there were plenty of times when I thought I couldn't do it - even for just one month.

Besides, with all this talk about books and me not buying jewelry, I used a little of my discretionary funds on books - treated myself at B&N to a finance book that was on my list to buy (got it from the library first, but I wanted my own copy) and picked up two of their half off books in defiance. I mean, that is what discretionary or pocket money is for, right?:)
Membership at B&N is about to run out soon. I decided not to renew, so at least I took advantage of that extra 10% off - so there is that.

Not another gazingus pin - I don't think I could handle that, but it gave me some relief/reward and I may even repeat that maybe in March - a coffee, an apple thingie and one book, I love their cafe.
I do better when there is a reward:), but I'll only do it if I make it through Feb without buying gemstones/jewelry. Gotta show some restraint, even a creampuff mustachian must have some standards after all, n'est pas?

Haha last I checked, most books are cheaper than most jewellery! ;)

Definitely I think when practicing extreme willpower, it’s normal to cave or reward yourself somewhere else! I bought myself a $4 bag at the library... to carry my fifty bajillion books through the rain. *Joy* :)

Ok I think I have properly doled out stars, but tell me if I haven’t got it right yet. Also we need to hear from a few people:

@gaja
@lexde
@Astak
@soccerluvof4
@vertkurt
@Eucalyptus
@Tris Prior
@Duchess
@hegemony
@10dollarsatatime
@JanetJackson
@asauer
@MaybeBabyMustache
@Better Late
@Parizade

Talk about accountability! Tell us how you did. We’ll be nice :)

Bravo to everyone who survived January! You’ve done it once, now just do it 11 more times. And for those of you that used January to gear up, then February is where you hit your stride!!! ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:10:15 AM by lifejoy »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: February 01, 2018, 12:10:39 PM »
I hate to admit it, but I don't deserve my star. :~(

As I posted in the first week of the month, I bought all those craft supplies to make goodies for my daughter's birthday party-- they arrived too late for the party-- will do better in February. 

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: February 01, 2018, 12:13:40 PM »

I think it might mean that snacks at work weren't really a gazingus pin, they were just a bad habit I fell into.  I'll keep up this new habit for the rest of the year, of course (not trying to weasel out of it!!) but am just thinking I probably have other gazingus pins I could identify.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #340 on: February 01, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »
I hate to admit it, but I don't deserve my star. :~(

As I posted in the first week of the month, I bought all those craft supplies to make goodies for my daughter's birthday party-- they arrived too late for the party-- will do better in February.

Oops! Well now you know how good it’s going to feel when you get one in February! ;)

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #341 on: February 01, 2018, 12:42:18 PM »
Ah, another challenge I should join!  @lifejoy, put me down for craft supplies - I have so many non-house projects I could work on.  (I don't deserve a Jan star, either - but February should be better!)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:52:58 PM by frontstepdesign »

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #342 on: February 01, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »
Oh dammit. I don’t check in with the thread for a few days and totally miss the introduction of stars. It’s a great idea!

I’m not allowed one for January though :-( Very nearly made it but didn’t take enough food to work with me yesterday and ended up buying a packet of crisps (i.e., chips for the non-Brits). Hey-ho, I’m back on the wagon for February. At least with just 28 days it’s a slightly shorter month.

@lifejoy I totally love the energy you’re bring to the challenge; it’s like we’ve got a personal cheerleader.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #343 on: February 01, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »
Ah, another challenge I should join!  @lifejoy, put me down for craft supplies - I have so many non-house projects I could work on.  (I don't deserve a Jan star, either - but February should be better!)

Added! :)

Oh dammit. I don’t check in with the thread for a few days and totally miss the introduction of stars. It’s a great idea!

I’m not allowed one for January though :-( Very nearly made it but didn’t take enough food to work with me yesterday and ended up buying a packet of crisps (i.e., chips for the non-Brits). Hey-ho, I’m back on the wagon for February. At least with just 28 days it’s a slightly shorter month.

@lifejoy I totally love the energy you’re bring to the challenge; it’s like we’ve got a personal cheerleader.

Star power!!!!! I'm almost certain they've done studies that show tracking goals with visual rewards (stars!) leads to greater success. Haha Duchess I love your logic - February is going to be a breeze with it's shorter amount of days! Hurrah! And I'm super glad you're enjoying my cheerleading. I have to be honest, though - I'm doing it just as much for myself as for you guys. I need to keep this thread active in order to keep myself accountable, haha. They say shame is one of the most powerful human emotions, and TBH I don't know if I could handle coming in here and confessing to breaking my ban... you guys are keeping me honest and on track!

With one month under our belts (for better or for worse), has anyone noticed anything? CrustyBadger has noticed that his supposed gazingus pin was too easy, and Rosy survived month 1 and thinks the second will be easier... I'm going back and forth, myself. Sometimes I think it's easy to buy ZERO of something, go cold turkey. I'm just not online browsing like I used to, because I know I can't buy any of the stuff that normally tempts me. On the other hand, sometimes things trigger me (tv shows! friends that shop! pants that don't fit!) and I find it very hard to resist! Overall I'm realizing that I can get by with a lot less clothes than I though I needed, and also that if I buy jewellery it just sits in a drawer. I hoard it. Oops.

I'm reading a book that is helping. It's called "Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm during the Great Depression". It's excellent so far. A true story and a really neat read if you want to not shop... because it's set in a time that is the OPPOSITE of Amazon Prime. You CANNOT shop because there are no almost no stores and when the depression hits, there is no money! How do ya like that? I like it. It motivated me to make a pot of dal (famously cheap dinner, fave of Jacob from ERE) and clean my house. Oh I'm so industrious when I'm not shopping! Lol.

CrustyBadger, can you think of a new gazingus pin to add to the challenge?

Also... does anyone have any books to recommend to me? On the topic of changing habits, resisting addictions, etc. I'm reading "Little Heathens" (described above) and also "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts" (on the topic of addiction) and in the past I've read "The Power of Habit" and I think maybe I should revisit that one. I know there are a lot of readers in this thread so send me some recommendations!

Another thing I've noticed: we have a lot of people with identical gazingus pins. Isn't that interesting? I think some things lend themselves to collections better than others. But I wonder what it is about books, tea, crafting, jewellery, and junk food that make us addicted and crave more more more? Is it simply variety? FOMO? (Fear of missing out). Advertising? Hmm. I welcome your thoughts.

I'm being extremely verbose but I have to tell you something else: Jewellery and clothing are the gazingus pins I've banned myself from, but I have to confess that I have purchased a bridesmaid dress. This, I consider a mandatory purchase, and do not count it in this personal challenge. I see no way of obtaining one for free and I make it my business to do whatever makes the bride less stressed. So that is my exception.

Ok stay strong everyone! They say that part of the success of alcoholics anonymous is that it builds a community that is going for the same goal. Well, I think we've got a lovely team of people here and I KNOW we can do it! Only 334 more days to go ;)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #344 on: February 01, 2018, 04:02:09 PM »
@lifejoy - resisted siren song of uber gift cards, & bought none in January! Even used a few gift cards I already had on hand this month. :-)

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #345 on: February 01, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »
CrustyBadger has noticed that his supposed gazingus pin was too easy

Just FYI for your mental imagery -- CrustyBadger is a girl!!

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #346 on: February 01, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
I have to confess that I have purchased a bridesmaid dress. This, I consider a mandatory purchase, and do not count it in this personal challenge. I see no way of obtaining one for free and I make it my business to do whatever makes the bride less stressed. So that is my exception.

The bride must be obeyed!!   We all know that!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #347 on: February 01, 2018, 05:37:29 PM »
I think a lot of pins are similar because they are aspirational things:  crafting and sewing supplies - because we want to be creative and do all those Pinteresty things; books - because we want to be educated well-red; outdoor gear - because we want to be outdoorsy.  It's the same with my horse stuff - because I want to be a better rider, but of course buying matchy breeches and saddle pads don't do that; buying riding lessons and practicing as much as possible does that.

Only 334 more days to go ;)

Aaack! ;)

So I had a $10 off promo code from SmartPak, then they emailed me a $25 gift card as a sorry because they got way behind on sending out orders around New Year's.  It would have been easy to justify buying a pair of breeches for almost free, but I stuck to my guns and ordered some protective boots my horse needed, and a package of her amino acid supplements that will run out in about two weeks.

Staying focused on killing 1/3 of my remaining car loan at the end of this month!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #348 on: February 01, 2018, 07:09:05 PM »
CrustyBadger has noticed that his supposed gazingus pin was too easy

Just FYI for your mental imagery -- CrustyBadger is a girl!!

Oops :)

Thanks for letting me know!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #349 on: February 01, 2018, 07:09:48 PM »
I think a lot of pins are similar because they are aspirational things:  crafting and sewing supplies - because we want to be creative and do all those Pinteresty things; books - because we want to be educated well-red; outdoor gear - because we want to be outdoorsy.  It's the same with my horse stuff - because I want to be a better rider, but of course buying matchy breeches and saddle pads don't do that; buying riding lessons and practicing as much as possible does that.

Only 334 more days to go ;)

Aaack! ;)

So I had a $10 off promo code from SmartPak, then they emailed me a $25 gift card as a sorry because they got way behind on sending out orders around New Year's.  It would have been easy to justify buying a pair of breeches for almost free, but I stuck to my guns and ordered some protective boots my horse needed, and a package of her amino acid supplements that will run out in about two weeks.

Staying focused on killing 1/3 of my remaining car loan at the end of this month!

Good job!!!

And I think you’re probably right about them being aspirational. I didn’t think about that but it really adds up!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!