Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189449 times)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2018, 07:31:55 AM »
My next endeavor will entail reading the classics, hopefully, I can find a good source online and some at my library.

If you're willing to read electronically (either on an ereader or on a computer screen), Project Gutenberg has pretty much ALL the classics, and they're completely free. PG's an open source site dedicated to getting out of print books into electronic format, and of course the popular ones got up there first. However, there's a really wide variety. One of my vices is medieval cookbooks, and they have a pretty sweet selection! So, if you're looking for more traditional classics, you've got a very good chance of finding them.

(Obviously, since of my vices is medieval cookbooks, I feel you on the specialty book life.)

@diapasoun
Well, what do you know - I happen to have a thing for medieval cookbooks too:) Hard to come by that is for sure. One of the smaller castles I went to in Germany had an awesome collection and they would let you view the uber rare ones by special arrangement. Very cool.
I don't remember the name except that it was close to Heidelberg and it was actually famous for saving wild birds, like falcons and in particular, hawks. A sanctuary with falconry shows in a medieval tower on top of the hill, high above the river Neckar?.
They also had a collection of rare medieval - I'm not sure what to call it - seeds, plants and leaves - the real thing, preserved in books, with annotations and observations for growing and use. Some medicinal.
I've always wanted to go back there.

I owned a couple of reprints from the medieval cuisine around Frankfurt (they do reprints sometimes for celebrations) but they disappeared during one of my moves. Some of the recipes were too awful to contemplate to eat, much less cook. But it was fun to test a couple - tastes sure were different back then.

What do you find most interesting about medieval cookbooks?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2018, 07:41:49 AM »
Thanks to lifejoy and diapasoun - I'll keep the Gutenberg in mind. I do read a lot on my phone, some on the computer too. I'd like to read Goethe's Faust in German and then in English and I've never read anything by Dickens..... so you see, it will take me a very long time to slog through all the classics.
If I had the money, I would have a library in my house no doubt about that. I make do with a nice study instead.

Oh and I forgot to post a win from yesterday - got an early cash birthday present and the question, "Would you like some jewelry for your birthday?".
DRUMROLL PLEASE ..... I said NO to more jewelry and put the cash in my bank account instead to keep me on track with my goals for the year!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:46:32 AM by Rosy »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2018, 07:51:25 AM »
They also had a collection of rare medieval - I'm not sure what to call it - seeds, plants and leaves - the real thing, preserved in books, with annotations and observations for growing and use. Some medicinal.

Herbarium?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: January 25, 2018, 07:57:58 AM »
Last night I was looking for soap recipes to use up the supplies I bought earlier this month, and found the most wonderful site (Soapqueen) showing the most beautiful products-- free instructions, and of course all the tools and supplies available for sale! Pre-challenge, I would have thrown $100 at the site, turned about $20 worth into gifts, and then the remaining $80 would sit around taking up my storage...

Yesterday I did buy a single ball of yarn so I could finish a pair of mittens that I started last year.  Unfortunately, it was the wrong yarn, so I will have to go back, return it, and ask the store to order the correct one (they were out of the right one but I couldn't quite remember what I needed).  Then, the old me would likely buy more yarn I didn't need, to reward them for all the trouble they've taken for me.   What do you do when you have a relationship with a worthy small business that you'd like to support?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: January 25, 2018, 08:10:21 AM »

Herbarium?

Herbarium - perhaps. It was rather obscure, "the books" were rather small (but thick), akin to our modern day book sizes. Made from a particular kind of wood to better preserve the plant materials, something that keeps critters and insects at bay. Most of them had spaces carved out inside. It also had thick paper pages with some pressed leaves, drawings and writings.

It was someone's lifework of botanical observations - a true treasure. There were extinct plants and plants imported from around the world. Fascinating.
Not at all like the illuminated, colorful, fancy large books/copies produced by the monks.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #255 on: January 25, 2018, 11:14:53 AM »
What do you do when you have a relationship with a worthy small business that you'd like to support?

Unsurprisingly, I have this with my local bookshop. :) It helps to remember that I've already supported them a great deal monetarily -- it's okay for me to take a break from that. They don't live and die by my purchases alone, and if they did, it would be an indication that no matter how much I love them, that's not a business that can (or likely should) survive.

I do try to advertise for them as much as I can (word of mouth, on instagram, etc) and I do still go to events they put on.

Herbarium?

Herbarium - perhaps. It was rather obscure, "the books" were rather small (but thick), akin to our modern day book sizes. Made from a particular kind of wood to better preserve the plant materials, something that keeps critters and insects at bay. Most of them had spaces carved out inside. It also had thick paper pages with some pressed leaves, drawings and writings.

It was someone's lifework of botanical observations - a true treasure. There were extinct plants and plants imported from around the world. Fascinating.
Not at all like the illuminated, colorful, fancy large books/copies produced by the monks.

Those sound absolutely beautiful, oh my gosh. Scratch both the medieval itch and the naturalist itch.

I'm lucky in that actually owning a book like that generally doesn't interest me -- the upkeep is so intensive for truly old books and I don't have the archival skills. However, I would 100% take a trip that was centered around seeing old manuscripts. For my birthday one year the celebration was "go to the travelling exhibition of the Magna Carta." That was AWESOME.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »
Oh and I forgot to post a win from yesterday - got an early cash birthday present and the question, "Would you like some jewelry for your birthday?".
DRUMROLL PLEASE ..... I said NO to more jewelry and put the cash in my bank account instead to keep me on track with my goals for the year!

Yaaaaay Rosy!!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #257 on: January 25, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
Thanks to lifejoy and diapasoun - I'll keep the Gutenberg in mind. I do read a lot on my phone, some on the computer too. I'd like to read Goethe's Faust in German and then in English and I've never read anything by Dickens..... so you see, it will take me a very long time to slog through all the classics.
If I had the money, I would have a library in my house no doubt about that. I make do with a nice study instead.

Rock on, Rosy! Way to go!

My win: before we go to sleep my husband and I have started doing a new thing where we say three things that we are happy the other person did. It’s a great way to acknowledge acts of service (cleaning the kitchen!) or qualities we enjoy (that joke you told!). Last night my husband listed my jewellery ban as one of his three things he appreciated me doing.

My intense desire for new jewellery has been a point of contention for us at times, so his appreciation of my ban was some excellent reinforcement of my mission.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:25:25 AM by lifejoy »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #258 on: January 25, 2018, 11:24:15 AM »
Last night I was looking for soap recipes to use up the supplies I bought earlier this month, and found the most wonderful site (Soapqueen) showing the most beautiful products-- free instructions, and of course all the tools and supplies available for sale! Pre-challenge, I would have thrown $100 at the site, turned about $20 worth into gifts, and then the remaining $80 would sit around taking up my storage...

Yesterday I did buy a single ball of yarn so I could finish a pair of mittens that I started last year.  Unfortunately, it was the wrong yarn, so I will have to go back, return it, and ask the store to order the correct one (they were out of the right one but I couldn't quite remember what I needed).  Then, the old me would likely buy more yarn I didn't need, to reward them for all the trouble they've taken for me.   What do you do when you have a relationship with a worthy small business that you'd like to support?

Write positive reviews for them online

Facebook, Yelp, google. It can help small businesses immensely.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:25:54 AM by lifejoy »

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: January 25, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »
I will finish January with 1 skincare purchase and no makeup.  I have no interest in purchasing either going forward unless absolutely necessary.  As a matter of fact, the more shit happens at work, my resolve is getting stronger.  I am in good shape financially because of the market but I am more motivated to save my money than purchase more of this stuff that will just sit in my cabinets and eventually get tossed.  I want the option of leaving if I need to so instead I will try and focus on saving a few years worth of expenses.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »
You guys are so inspiring!  I can't commit to 0, but can I join anyway?

My gazingus pin is books. 

I read voraciously (and re-read regularly) and it's habit to go down the book aisle at the grocery store every week and add a book...or a handful of books ... to the cart.   That's on top of the Amazon purchases (like the other poster, I had to disable one-click).  I LOVE BOOKS.

I've been trying to cut down over the last few months.  I started separating out the book purchases from the grocery purchases for better transparency.  That was ... eye-opening.  I also decluttered my bookshelves and gave away a couple of hundred books (don't worry - we still have 5 bookshelves full of adult books). 

I realized I was buying books
1) to fill in my "collection" of certain authors (and romance authors can be PROLIFIC) ... some books I purchased more than once because I didn't remember I'd already bought it and read it)
2) to try new authors, many of whom I didn't like
3) because I thought I ought to read them ... but those just languished in a pile

I am not going to be able to adhere to 0 books purchased this year, but I want to make sure that I'm only buying the books I want to read over and over. 

I'm going to limit myself to buying 1 book per month this year [excluding books purchased with gift cards I am given].  I've already made this month's purchase.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #261 on: January 25, 2018, 03:50:35 PM »

[...]

1) to fill in my "collection" of certain authors (and romance authors can be PROLIFIC) ... some books I purchased more than once because I didn't remember I'd already bought it and read it)
3) because I thought I ought to read them ... but those just languished in a pile

Welcome, fellow bibliophile!

Do you have a Goodreads account or some other way of tracking what you've read? I've found this is helpful for me in remembering what I've read, because I can just look something up on GR and see if I've read it or not. Could help in the accidental re-buys.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: January 25, 2018, 04:07:20 PM »

Do you have a Goodreads account or some other way of tracking what you've read? I've found this is helpful for me in remembering what I've read, because I can just look something up on GR and see if I've read it or not. Could help in the accidental re-buys.

I started tracking on a spreadsheet this year.  I've never tracked before because I read so much it was hard to keep up with.  The spreadsheet doesn't help, though, when I'm at the store and don't have it handy to check.    Sigh.

That was a bad week in general. Besides duplicate buying, I also ordered 2 books from the library that I already owned and had forgotten about.  That was another clue that maybe my book-buying had gotten out of control.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2018, 04:35:38 PM »
Welcome, formerlydivorcedmom! You, like myself and many others here, seem to have a collector’s spirit! I used to be that way with books until I a) 100% converted to obtaining library books and b) realized that a list of my fave books would satisfy me nearly as much as buying them would. I seldom re-read, so this works for me.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »
No vending machine sodas or snacks for me at work!

I can eat chips if I want chips but I have to buy them in a large back and pack them for my lunch.

I realized I was spending up to $15 a week on these things.  My health doesn't need it and neither does my wallet.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2018, 05:17:30 PM »
Welcome, CrustyBadger! Added you to the first post :)

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2018, 05:26:09 PM »

[...]

I second the Goodreads recommendation as a book tracker. A few years ago I also started keeping a list in a notebook of titles I read from year to year, which I have continued to keep up. Regardless of how you choose to track your books, it's fun to look back on what you've accomplished.

As a former librarian, books are a gazingus pin for me, too, but I've gotten better about it over the years.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »

[...]

I second the Goodreads recommendation as a book tracker. A few years ago I also started keeping a list in a notebook of titles I read from year to year, which I have continued to keep up. Regardless of how you choose to track your books, it's fun to look back on what you've accomplished.

As a former librarian, books are a gazingus pin for me, too, but I've gotten better about it over the years.

I’m a former librarian too! Hi :)

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2018, 06:47:28 PM »

[...]

No way! Lol. It's nice to meet all these fellow book nerds :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2018, 07:39:09 PM »

[...]

Definitely! No surprise that books are a common addiction :)

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #270 on: January 26, 2018, 03:18:40 PM »
Thusfar my identified Gazingus pins are thrifted books and clothes, but a new pin is stirring and I need to get ahead of it.  Quilting fabric is calling me...I must have more...

Actually, I must finish the three quilts I have supplies for and then I can think about a new project, but oh, look at these...

Instituted a new rule for my craft room...2 projects out, before 1 new one goes in.  That should have me sufficiently focused on finishing what I have started before starting something new.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #271 on: January 26, 2018, 08:45:09 PM »
I always thought that I was getting over my spendy ways because I've really reined in a lot. I used to buy tons of books, now I order them from the library. I have trouble coming up with ideas for people to give me a gifts for birthdays and Christmas because I never seem to want anything (my default is Home Depot gift cards because my house needs a ton of work).

However, my Gazingus pin is restaurants, or more to the point, eating anything out of the house. I tend to stop and buy breakfast food on the way to work (sometimes even after I've eaten at home), or buy snacks at work or on the way home from work. Our eating out budget is insane, and its one of the things that drives me crazy financially.

So, my goal is to limit myself to one restaurant/eating out per week (we usually do carry out pizza once per week). This would go a long way for both my health and my budget, but it's going to be very difficult.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #272 on: January 26, 2018, 08:54:16 PM »
Craft and/or art supplies. I have more than enough to last me at least 10 years even if I used them which I tend not to do.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2018, 01:15:19 AM »
Thusfar my identified Gazingus pins are thrifted books and clothes, but a new pin is stirring and I need to get ahead of it.  Quilting fabric is calling me...I must have more...

Actually, I must finish the three quilts I have supplies for and then I can think about a new project, but oh, look at these...

Instituted a new rule for my craft room...2 projects out, before 1 new one goes in.  That should have me sufficiently focused on finishing what I have started before starting something new.

Welcome! Good job identifying all of your gazingus pins. I haven’t added quilting supplies to the front page (yet) because it sounds like you get to buy some kind of like whenever you want, as long as you put the work in

Let me know if you disagree or if you want to adapt your plan!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:19:07 AM by lifejoy »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #274 on: January 27, 2018, 01:22:41 AM »
I always thought that I was getting over my spendy ways because I've really reined in a lot. I used to buy tons of books, now I order them from the library. I have trouble coming up with ideas for people to give me a gifts for birthdays and Christmas because I never seem to want anything (my default is Home Depot gift cards because my house needs a ton of work).

However, my Gazingus pin is restaurants, or more to the point, eating anything out of the house. I tend to stop and buy breakfast food on the way to work (sometimes even after I've eaten at home), or buy snacks at work or on the way home from work. Our eating out budget is insane, and its one of the things that drives me crazy financially.

So, my goal is to limit myself to one restaurant/eating out per week (we usually do carry out pizza once per week). This would go a long way for both my health and my budget, but it's going to be very difficult.

That sounds like a great goal! Stretch challenge: make it once a month and I’ll add you to the first page :)

I feel like this thread is becoming very permissive... this is my effort to tighten things up a bit! However I do want you to feel welcome, and I recognize what a big change going from daily to weekly would be. I just don’t want this to be a “cutting back on gazingus pins” thread - it’s a No gazingus pins thread! :) Break the habit! Look back on 2018 with awe and pride!

That being said, I’m not such a hardass. I can add you to the first post if you like :)
Just wanna tempt you into monthly because I bet you can do it!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #275 on: January 27, 2018, 01:23:12 AM »
Craft and/or art supplies. I have more than enough to last me at least 10 years even if I used them which I tend not to do.

Added you! Welcome! :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: January 27, 2018, 07:34:49 AM »

[...]

Definitely! No surprise that books are a common addiction :)

I used to volunteer at my local library:) Me and my grandfather were the bibliophiles in the family.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #277 on: January 27, 2018, 08:01:49 AM »

Write positive reviews for them online

Facebook, Yelp, google. It can help small businesses immensely.

Yes, this! As a small business owner this is SO important. Also like, comment on, and share their social media posts, as Facebook in particular buries them and refuses to show them to people who've liked our page if we don't pay money, but will show them to more people if they qualify as "engaging" (i.e., popularity contest; posts that are liked and commented on and shared are shown to more people).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #278 on: January 27, 2018, 09:04:15 AM »
Doing well over here.  I'm just checking in because I looked at my pay stub and discovered that I received a substantial temporary raise for the four-month detail I started this month.  I was not expecting it, and it will be really tempting to blow this little windfall on frivolous horse or kitchen gear, so I am trying to focus on how great it will feel to pay my car off within the next few months instead.  As soon as we get past the next potential government shutdown, I'm going to put all the extra towards the car loan (nice to hang on to the extra cash when a potential furlough is looming, otherwise I would do it right now).  Mustachians would say don't pay off the car because it's a 0% loan, but I'm sick of figuring that payment into my budget every month.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #279 on: January 27, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »
OK. I'm officially adding nail polish to my list.

So no fabric (excepting the pre-pillows for our living room), no nail polish.

I haven't bought any but I want to so bad. I really love nail polish .

I really think the issue is time. When I have lots of time I don't shop that much because I actually use the stuff I have but when I don't have very much time I mostly just shop because my hobby boils down to fabric collecting or nail polish collecting rather than sewing or painting.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #280 on: January 27, 2018, 11:06:39 AM »
@horsepoor - that sounds like an EXCELLENT plan!

@iowajes - I think “no nail polish” is a perfect addition to your “no gazingus pin” decree! I also think you’re doing a great job identifying your habits and desires. You got this!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #281 on: January 27, 2018, 08:12:05 PM »
So is a watch considered jewellery? Haaaaaa... just kidding ;)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2018, 07:31:23 AM »
I will finish January with 1 skincare purchase and no makeup.  I have no interest in purchasing either going forward unless absolutely necessary.  As a matter of fact, the more shit happens at work, my resolve is getting stronger.  I am in good shape financially because of the market but I am more motivated to save my money than purchase more of this stuff that will just sit in my cabinets and eventually get tossed. I want the option of leaving if I need to so instead I will try and focus on saving a few years worth of expenses.

Yay @alleykat! I agree with you, it helps a great deal to have clear goals of what you want to do with your money - instead.

So is a watch considered jewellery? Haaaaaa... just kidding ;)

Not really - I think watches should be in their own category:) Dear @lifejoy - could it be that you hid a gazingus pin under another gazingus pin:)?

Just checking in - almost caved last night:
There it was, the perfect beautiful three-row green gemstone bracelet to complete my ensemble. The one I've been dying to add to my collection, at a price I can afford?:).
The Gods are mocking me - my desire is killing me.
I feel bereft - damn, I know I can't afford to give in - it is a choice of either sticking with my goals ...

This morning:
I'm telling you, if I see this bracelet at this price again, I am buying it - consequences be damned... I know this stone is mined out and this is in truth a good opportunity.

No, no and NO - I have to face reality - I want it all, my goals and my gazingus pin, but something's gotta give.

I'll be so happy when January is over and I can say - I did not give in to my desires this month. No more gazingus pins for 2018 for me!
I think I'm experiencing withdrawals.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2018, 07:42:51 AM »
Woohoo, good job Rosy!
I think you and I have to learn to stop shopping for the things we’re addicted to! Oh well, we’ve almost survived month one...

I’ve been tempted. Instead I make a list of all the things I want to buy in 2019, haha.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »
This year I have decided to track my monthly expenses on paper, simply because I'm an analog tool person and it reduces the urge to procrastinate. There's a separate category to identify the necessities and the frivolous purchases. At the end of the month I'm going to see how much I spent on the latter, but to be honest, I'm already seeing that the January amount is higher than I want it to be.

No no no, Inkedup.

After finishing up one 1/4lb packet of tea and the remaining beans in a bag of coffee this month, I am feeling more determined about sticking to my guns moving forward. Thinking of it in zero sum terms has helped a bit: "Do you want to buy more crap or do you want to buy financial security/an earlier retirement date?"

I have SO. FREAKING. MUCH. stuff, in the form of both consumables and non-consumables, to enjoy. Chasing after the next item is so silly.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: January 29, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »
Here is a tip for Rosy, and for all of us... nobody's willpower is strong enough to resist constant temptation.  If you are still subscribed to whatever email list or magazine that advertises your gazingus pin, you're going to have to cancel it and find something harmless to take its place.  If you are driving past your gazingus store every day, you need to take a different route until you are well and thoroughly out of the habit of stopping in.

However, constant exposure to beautiful pictures of things to want, want, want, will wear down even the strongest resolve.  If we are serious about cutting our jewelry, tea, nailpolish, or crafting supplies habits, we are going to have to cut off the route.  For instance, I am also trying to lose a little weight, so this means turning off the light in the kitchen right after dinner and not going back in there! I used to wander in after putting the kids to bed, then after tidying up I would reward myself with a little snack or three.  Then, more likely than not, I would settle down and do some online shopping. Now I am trying to spend that time working on some of my unfinished projects, or simply going to bed early.  So far, so good!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #286 on: January 29, 2018, 08:40:26 AM »
Poundwise is so right!  When I was a poor broke poor grad student there was no internet, but there were masses of advertising inserts in the Saturday paper.  I never looked at them, because if I did I would see all sorts of things I wanted.  IF I didn't see the ads I didn't feel the "need" for the stuff.

One of my gazingus pins is fibre (I spin) and I have a stash that will keep me going for a few years.  I am totally avoiding events where there will be masses of yummy fibre for sale, because it would be so so easy to buy some.  You know, you bury your hands in this luscious fluff, and dream of the yarns that it will make, and the next thing you know you have bought it.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #287 on: January 29, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »
Hope it’s not too late to join in on this one but my gazingus pins are books like many others here. There is little I love more than buying a stack of new books and coming home to curl up with a warm beverage, my robe and cozy socks to read the day away. (If I were being cut throat I’d add tea to the list but I’m going for progress here - don’t want to give myself a breakdown :)

So in 2018, it’s books for me! Couple caveats I want to throw in for myself:
1. If there’s a new book on my radar, must check library first!
2. Cannot buy new books unless it is with cash received from selling other books back. This way books can’t come in the door unless enough books have gone out the door to pay for them (hmmm...is this cheating?)
3. Cannot buy a book unless it’s guaranteed I will re-read it and criteria for #2 is met

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #288 on: January 29, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »
I proudly told my husband I'd signed on for this challenge and was going to limit myself to no more than 1 book per month.

In a very alarmed voice, he asked why on earth I'd do something like that, and then he tried to argue me out of it.  (I could see him thinking "holy heck, when she runs out of reading material she invents household projects to do!")

I pointed out that my book budget last year was somewhere between $500-750, and I promised not to add any new household projects to the list.  He walked away shaking his head.

I went shopping with middle kid this weekend and did not go down the book aisle at the grocery store, did not buy a book at Costco, and didn't even step foot in Barnes and Noble even though the only parking spot I found at the shopping center was right in front of their store. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #289 on: January 29, 2018, 01:48:21 PM »
Poundwise is so right!  When I was a poor broke poor grad student there was no internet, but there were masses of advertising inserts in the Saturday paper.  I never looked at them, because if I did I would see all sorts of things I wanted.  IF I didn't see the ads I didn't feel the "need" for the stuff.

One of my gazingus pins is fibre (I spin) and I have a stash that will keep me going for a few years.  I am totally avoiding events where there will be masses of yummy fibre for sale, because it would be so so easy to buy some.  You know, you bury your hands in this luscious fluff, and dream of the yarns that it will make, and the next thing you know you have bought it.

LOL I thought you meant spin class and edible fibre! LOL

Do you want me to add you to the first post? No fibre for 2018?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »
Hope it’s not too late to join in on this one but my gazingus pins are books like many others here. There is little I love more than buying a stack of new books and coming home to curl up with a warm beverage, my robe and cozy socks to read the day away. (If I were being cut throat I’d add tea to the list but I’m going for progress here - don’t want to give myself a breakdown :)

So in 2018, it’s books for me! Couple caveats I want to throw in for myself:
1. If there’s a new book on my radar, must check library first!
2. Cannot buy new books unless it is with cash received from selling other books back. This way books can’t come in the door unless enough books have gone out the door to pay for them (hmmm...is this cheating?)
3. Cannot buy a book unless it’s guaranteed I will re-read it and criteria for #2 is met

Welcome! It sounds like I should’ve made a “Buy less gazingus pins for 2018!” Thread ;)

I jest, I jest! I agree, progress is progress. I’ll add you to the first post :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »
I proudly told my husband I'd signed on for this challenge and was going to limit myself to no more than 1 book per month.

In a very alarmed voice, he asked why on earth I'd do something like that, and then he tried to argue me out of it.  (I could see him thinking "holy heck, when she runs out of reading material she invents household projects to do!")

I pointed out that my book budget last year was somewhere between $500-750, and I promised not to add any new household projects to the list.  He walked away shaking his head.

I went shopping with middle kid this weekend and did not go down the book aisle at the grocery store, did not buy a book at Costco, and didn't even step foot in Barnes and Noble even though the only parking spot I found at the shopping center was right in front of their store.

WOW!!!! You are doing wonderfully!!! Incredible job for month 1. You got this!!!! Your husband is going to be so impressed in December :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »
@Inkedup / it sounds like your mentality is just where it needs to be! Have you heard of the free app “Pretirement”? It helps you calculate just how much these gazingus pins (and other things) will affect your FIRE date. Very motivating!

@Poundwise - sigh. You are right! If I’m going to stop buying, I need to stop shopping. Blarrrgh. Baby steps.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2018, 04:45:23 PM »
I had a shirt that I got from a clothes swap - super comfy, soft, fit well - that I still hadn't worn.  Last week, I though "hm, the next time it's cold enough, I'll wear it to work and see if I like it."  Then my green pants got dirty, and I realized that I only have ONE pair of pants that I'd ever wear this shirt with, because it's just the wrong blue for me to want to wear it with jeans, and it's too patterned for me to wear with leggings.  Sooooo, now it's in my clothes swap pile, without ever having been worn since I got it. 

One more step toward having a wardrobe full of only clothes that I actually like to wear :)

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2018, 04:49:41 PM »
My weakness at work is snacks from the vending machine (Cokes, cheese doodles....)   I have been So Good about not buying anything all month!  I could easily spend $3 a day on these foods.

I was really, sorely tempted today.   I did pack a lunch, but I skipped breakfast, and I was hungry from the get go.

But... it's started to become a habit for me NOT to buy from the vending machine.  So I had the thought (I should get some Doritos) and then immediately tamped it down.  Ate my lunch a little earlier, and was full.  And didn't have a craving again until I came,  where (to sate my carb craving) I had a slice of whole grain bread and butter.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2018, 05:53:08 PM »
Chaskavitch and crustybadger- you guys are doing great!!!

Do you think we should be like in kindergarten and get a star by our name if we survived the month? I know I like to track things visually, myself...

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #296 on: January 29, 2018, 06:47:48 PM »

Do you think we should be like in kindergarten and get a star by our name if we survived the month? I know I like to track things visually, myself...

I am totally pro-big golden stars!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: January 29, 2018, 06:52:50 PM »

YES I WANT A STAR!

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: January 29, 2018, 07:06:32 PM »
YES PLEASE, me too, I would like a star!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #299 on: January 29, 2018, 07:30:17 PM »
Ok it’s settled :)
I will dole out stars on February 1st!