Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189455 times)

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »

Sounds like an excellent plan!

And I believe you have a case of tea FOMO - fear of missing out!

FOMO infiltrates every facet of life, doesn't it? :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2018, 01:25:04 PM »
The tea discussion reminded me of this. She probably made a few thousand (or more, likely) dollars on this video mixing together her massive stash of teas. But won't it all go bad now that it's opened?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0D0s9eIKuw

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »
I’m noticing some themes in myself and others, things that come up when we’re trying to resist:

-scarcity (“What if I run out? Better stock up”)
-good deals (“I’ve never seen such a good price on XYZ! I had to get it!)
-amnesia or blindness (“I didn’t realize I already had a bunch of XYZ”)

Mine is a funky version of scarcity.  I hate shopping (my most reliable tea source was in the mall), and I hate wasting money on things I don’t like (so not excited about buying something online I haven’t tasted).  So when I see something I like, think, “gee, better stock up so I don’t have to deal with this hell again for a long time” - so I’d go to the mall and walk out with over a hundred bucks worth of tea. 

But then once I have it, I don’t ever want to use it up, because that means I will be out.  I have a ton of little special packets I bought off the internet (like the kinds that bloom into a flower), and I never want to use them, because then they will be gone!*  And worse:  now the mall place is out of business, and I cannot find their particular version of my favorite tea anywhere.  So I am now down to a few pots’ worth, and I am hoarding that remaining stash — I don’t want to use it because then it’ll be gone forever! 

*Because, you know, it’s not like I could ever buy more. . . .  Yes, I realize it is completely illogical.

Laura33, I could suggest an alternative source for those blooming teas, but don't want to compromise your efforts to hold back on tea buying! :)

I’ll hold you to that - maybe I can use that as incentive to power through the challenge.  :-)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »
I’m noticing some themes in myself and others, things that come up when we’re trying to resist:

Mine is a funky version of scarcity.  I hate shopping (my most reliable tea source was in the mall), and I hate wasting money on things I don’t like (so not excited about buying something online I haven’t tasted).  So when I see something I like, think, “gee, better stock up so I don’t have to deal with this hell again for a long time” - so I’d go to the mall and walk out with over a hundred bucks worth of tea. 

But then once I have it, I don’t ever want to use it up, because that means I will be out.  I have a ton of little special packets I bought off the internet (like the kinds that bloom into a flower), and I never want to use them, because then they will be gone!*  And worse:  now the mall place is out of business, and I cannot find their particular version of my favorite tea anywhere.  So I am now down to a few pots’ worth, and I am hoarding that remaining stash — I don’t want to use it because then it’ll be gone forever! 

*Because, you know, it’s not like I could ever buy more. . . .  Yes, I realize it is completely illogical.

Laura33, I could suggest an alternative source for those blooming teas, but don't want to compromise your efforts to hold back on tea buying! :)

I’ll hold you to that - maybe I can use that as incentive to power through the challenge.  :-)

Inkedup you should refer her in 2019 ;)

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
The tea discussion reminded me of this. She probably made a few thousand (or more, likely) dollars on this video mixing together her massive stash of teas. But won't it all go bad now that it's opened?

They won't go bad, per se, but flavor-wise these teas will be a ghost of their former selves. Even many teas in sealed packets have shelf lives, but exposure to light and air really speeds things up. It's just not a good idea to buy and tear open so many bags of tea at once.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2018, 04:03:56 PM »

Inkedup you should refer her in 2019 ;)

Will do!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2018, 04:16:46 PM »

They won't go bad, per se, but flavor-wise these teas will be a ghost of their former selves. Even many teas in sealed packets have shelf lives, but exposure to light and air really speeds things up. It's just not a good idea to buy and tear open so many bags of tea at once.

Well it didn't sound like she bought them all at once, so probably it didn't matter that she opened them since she'd been hoarding anyway since you say sealed tea goes bad too. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2018, 04:23:21 PM »

Hahahahaha ok that was the best. Even if it hurt my minimalist soul a little ;)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2018, 03:40:27 AM »
My gazingus pin is tools.  I buy too many, and buy ones I don't need now.  The problem is we live on a small farm out of town. Going to town for a tool takes over an hour, so things get bought
Just in case.

So, no more purchases of tools that are not needed IMMEDIATELY.  I think I can do that, with some help.

So today I sharpened my chain saw again, but the chain is really at the end of its life. New chain next time I am in town, but, no new tools with it. Just the chain to maintain the current tool.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2018, 06:57:42 AM »

Hahahahaha ok that was the best. Even if it hurt my minimalist soul a little ;)

I don't know what this woman does with all her hoarding (the amount of nail stuff she has is insanity, she mixed nail powders in one video and had like 70 of them, though I assume at this point most of it is free)- because while she is a youtube millionaire, it seems like they live in a reasonably sized Ottawa condo.   

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2018, 07:17:42 AM »
My gazingus pin is tools.  I buy too many, and buy ones I don't need now.  The problem is we live on a small farm out of town. Going to town for a tool takes over an hour, so things get bought
Just in case.

So, no more purchases of tools that are not needed IMMEDIATELY.  I think I can do that, with some help.

So today I sharpened my chain saw again, but the chain is really at the end of its life. New chain next time I am in town, but, no new tools with it. Just the chain to maintain the current tool.

Chainsaw is something you’ll be needing to use straightaway?

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »
So far, besides one skincare item I could have probably done without, no other skincare or makeup purchases and I don't foresee myself buying anymore. As a matter of fact I am going to challenge myself to see how far I can go before purchasing any at all.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
Well, so far so good on my no outdoor/fitness gear goal.

Immediately after my post, I realized that I don't have a rain-cover for my backpack, which is something I will probably need to get eventually. But I did some thinking and googling and realized I can use a trash bag to keep my pack and gear dry, and I have an emergency rain poncho that will cover my pack as well. Coupled with the fact that most of the near-term plans I have are unlikely to find me getting caught in the rain (hooray for droughts?!) and I think I can avoid this purchase for now.

Hubby and I did a long hike on Sunday, and he damaged one of his trekking poles (slipped, put all his weight on the pole to avoid a fall and the handle came loose), so I thought "Great, guess we're going to have to replace those." But he jammed the handle back on and reported that it seemed to be holding. I also realized that since I've been having some issues with one of my elbows I might be better off using one pole instead of two for a while, in which case we could trade for the time being. I guess we'll see if his "repair" holds or not.

One of my friends is planning a backpacking trip for June which I am hoping to join, but it requires a bear-proof canister which I don't have. I checked the local outdoor store and found I can rent one for about $10 or so. This will give me an opportunity to try before I buy and get a better idea of what size/brand I really want to commit to when I do buy.

And finally, one of my "exceptions" was to maybe buy a new pair of running shoes, and lo and behold someone posted a pair of brand new shoes in my size on my local Buy Nothing Group today! I indicated my interest and am waiting to hear back.

So, patience and a little bit of planning/thinking instead of running out and buying things right away is paying off :)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »
Hubby and I did a long hike on Sunday, and he damaged one of his trekking poles (slipped, put all his weight on the pole to avoid a fall and the handle came loose), so I thought "Great, guess we're going to have to replace those." But he jammed the handle back on and reported that it seemed to be holding. I also realized that since I've been having some issues with one of my elbows I might be better off using one pole instead of two for a while, in which case we could trade for the time being. I guess we'll see if his "repair" holds or not.

Can you epoxy it? (Tube of 5-minute is cheaper and more versatile than a trekking pole ;) )

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »

Can you epoxy it? (Tube of 5-minute is cheaper and more versatile than a trekking pole ;) )

Yeah I think that's the next step if the "jamming it back on" technique doesn't work :) He got mad at me for poking at it since it seemed to be holding and he didn't want to mess it up again lol

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2018, 01:26:28 PM »

Yeah I think that's the next step if the "jamming it back on" technique doesn't work :) He got mad at me for poking at it since it seemed to be holding and he didn't want to mess it up again lol

As a pessimist, I would expect a "just jam it back on" solution to fail at the most inopportune moment. Like, the farthest point of a particularly strenuous hike when you are actively leaning on it.... so, I'm on your side re: poking at it vs your husbands re: leave it alone.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »

As a pessimist, I would expect a "just jam it back on" solution to fail at the most inopportune moment. Like, the farthest point of a particularly strenuous hike when you are actively leaning on it.... so, I'm on your side re: poking at it vs your husbands re: leave it alone.

My thoughts exactly, I think I'll encourage him to stress test it at home.... part of the "no poking" irritation was probably that we were in the middle of the trail at the time.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »
One of my friends is planning a backpacking trip for June which I am hoping to join, but it requires a bear-proof canister which I don't have. I checked the local outdoor store and found I can rent one for about $10 or so. This will give me an opportunity to try before I buy and get a better idea of what size/brand I really want to commit to when I do buy.

Haha, my friend just posted that she has FIVE bear canisters, so I guess I can probably borrow one of hers. This is EXACTLY the type of excessive over-buying of gear that I want avoid :)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2018, 03:30:43 PM »
Just in case.

I'll definately need to use it today or tomorrow.  So it is a need not a want.  No other tool purchases at the same time is the challenge for me.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »
I'm quite pleased with myself today. My favourite upmarket chocolate shop is still having its post-Christmas sale. I logged on to the website and filled a basket with beautifully packaged delicacies. Then I thought, "I can't believe I'm going to spend that much on confectionery," emptied the basket, and closed the window.

Not very long ago, I'd have said, "It's a cheap luxury and I don't have many luxuries," and hit the spend button without hesitation.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2018, 09:35:27 PM »
Well, so far so good on my no outdoor/fitness gear goal.

Immediately after my post, I realized that I don't have a rain-cover for my backpack, which is something I will probably need to get eventually. But I did some thinking and googling and realized I can use a trash bag to keep my pack and gear dry, and I have an emergency rain poncho that will cover my pack as well. Coupled with the fact that most of the near-term plans I have are unlikely to find me getting caught in the rain (hooray for droughts?!) and I think I can avoid this purchase for now.

And finally, one of my "exceptions" was to maybe buy a new pair of running shoes, and lo and behold someone posted a pair of brand new shoes in my size on my local Buy Nothing Group today! I indicated my interest and am waiting to hear back.

So, patience and a little bit of planning/thinking instead of running out and buying things right away is paying off :)

You’re off to a fantastic start!!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2018, 09:37:23 PM »
Just in case.

I'll definately need to use it today or tomorrow.  So it is a need not a want.  No other tool purchases at the same time is the challenge for me.
Stay strong, you can do it!!! :)
Maybe take a really close look at all the tools you so own before you go?
For me, becoming intimately aware of what I own make me less likely to add to it.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2018, 09:38:16 PM »
So far, besides one skincare item I could have probably done without, no other skincare or makeup purchases and I don't foresee myself buying anymore. As a matter of fact I am going to challenge myself to see how far I can go before purchasing any at all.
Props to you for continuing on. I like your challenge to yourself.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »
I'm quite pleased with myself today. My favourite upmarket chocolate shop is still having its post-Christmas sale. I logged on to the website and filled a basket with beautifully packaged delicacies. Then I thought, "I can't believe I'm going to spend that much on confectionery," emptied the basket, and closed the window.

Not very long ago, I'd have said, "It's a cheap luxury and I don't have many luxuries," and hit the spend button without hesitation.
Healthier choice, too! Way to go!!!

When I stopped buying chocolate (used to buy a bar EVERY grocery trip) it made gifted chocolate ten times more enjoyable :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2018, 09:41:36 PM »
I’m doing well. I found the first week painful as I created new habits. Online shopping out of boredom (I’m a new SAHM, often trapped under a baby) was my weakness. Now I read blogs or watch Netflix or post on MMM :)

Also my stylebook app is really helping me because it’s showing me how many clothes I have that I don’t even wear! The idea of adding more becomes bonkers!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2018, 03:37:22 AM »
Just in case.

Stay strong, you can do it!!! :)
For me, becoming intimately aware of what I own make me less likely to add to it.

I bought a new chain, but that is all. I didn't even look at the other power tools (well, not enough to feel the need to buy one). So I think this is maintaining a tool I already have rather than buying one.  I used it this afternoon to clear some wattle that had fallen over a fence and was causing issues on our driveway, and broke our sons car aerial. So probably a necessary purchase.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2018, 03:39:12 AM »
Just in case.

Stay strong, you can do it!!!

I bought a new chain, but that is all. I didn't even look at the other power tools (well, not enough to feel the need to buy one). So I think this is maintaining a tool I already have rather than buying one.  I used it this afternoon to clear some wattle that had fallen over a fence and was causing issues on our driveway, and broke our sons car aerial. So probably a necessary purchase.

Woohoo! Great job
I agree - tool maintenance

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2018, 03:42:43 AM »
Still going strong, 17 days in :-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2018, 07:17:08 AM »
I bought a piece of horse training equipment on eBay last night.  It was something I've been planning to buy to make some new work I'm doing with my horses a little easier.  It's not in the pin categories I listed, but I'm posting about it to avoid "pin creep." 

I am adding kitchen equipment to my pins.  I replaced four coffee mugs that were going on 20 years old, as well as two sheet pans that were starting to peel.  Since that followed the 1 in, 1 out rule (actually, I chucked some other cookie sheets I never use as well as the old sheet pans).  We also replaced our old soup bowls a couple months ago too.  I received a fancy immersion circulator for Christmas, and now I'm eyeing the accessories available for it, but it's feeling a lot like clutter.  So unless something breaks, no new kitchen gadgets, dishes, etc. for the rest of the year.  I cook a ton, but still, the kitchen gadgets are a lot.  If I want something, I'll add it to a list and reassess the need/want at the end of the year.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2018, 07:40:58 AM »

Healthier choice, too! Way to go!!!

When I stopped buying chocolate (used to buy a bar EVERY grocery trip) it made gifted chocolate ten times more enjoyable :)

Alas, I haven't given up buying chocolate. I'll just buy cheaper chocolate from the supermarket and spend £10 or so a month instead of £70 including postage on a stash that might last three months.

I've tried many times to stop buying, or even eating, chocolate. I end up making up the calories with things I don't normally eat - cookies, breakfast cereal, other candy - so have given up giving up.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2018, 09:08:39 AM »
So this wasn't my challenge- but someone please stop me from buying more nail polish.
Julep has a grab bag for 10 polishes for $20.  But I do not need them. And I really don't want duplicates of ones I have, so a mystery bag is not a good idea.

I really like spending money recently.  This is not good.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »
So this wasn't my challenge- but someone please stop me from buying more nail polish.
Julep has a grab bag for 10 polishes for $20.  But I do not need them. And I really don't want duplicates of ones I have, so a mystery bag is not a good idea.

I find they when I stop buying one category of thing, it’s hard for me to resist the urge to reallocate that money to other shopping.

Nail polishes last forever and really add to clutter! IMO...
Maybe use up the ones you’ve got before adding to the collection?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2018, 09:22:05 AM »

I find they when I stop buying one category of thing, it’s hard for me to resist the urge to reallocate that money to other shopping.

Use up the ones I've got- hahahahaha!

To be fair, I do a lot of nail art, and have an instagram dedicated to it (I'd be on my way to making $$$, lol, except youtube demonetized my account for having fewer than 1000 subscribers). And I did clean out any really old or ugly ones this year. Now my polish collection is much more "curated".

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2018, 09:25:36 AM »

Use up the ones I've got- hahahahaha!

To be fair, I do a lot of nail art, and have an instagram dedicated to it (I'd be on my way to making $$$, lol, except youtube demonetized my account for having fewer than 1000 subscribers). And I did clean out any really old or ugly ones this year. Now my polish collection is much more "curated".

Hey I have an IG devotes to fancy jewellery product photography pics... doesn’t mean I get to buy more jewellery ;)

(I wish it did)

(Must resist)

Iowajes - you can’t be missing any crucial colours?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
I have a pretty long wishlist to fill out my "needs" (haha)- but that isn't what I'm looking at here.

Thank you for helping me not press buy, even though the price is amazing.

Still trying to figure out how to monetize this and/or my sewing. Might need to go back to the blog to have something with ad revenue I can direct to from instagram.  Really annoyed at youtube- it was just a dollar or two a video, but it was slowly adding up.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2018, 10:52:54 AM »
I have a pretty long wishlist to fill out my "needs" (haha)- but that isn't what I'm looking at here.

Thank you for helping me not press buy, even though the price is amazing.

Still trying to figure out how to monetize this and/or my sewing. Might need to go back to the blog to have something with ad revenue I can direct to from instagram.  Really annoyed at youtube- it was just a dollar or two a video, but it was slowly adding up.

That’s really really cool that you were making any money at all for any period of time on YouTube!

There will be more amazing prices in the future :)
And you can always tell people what to get you for bday or Xmas!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2018, 10:40:33 AM »
Totally late, but I'm definitely joining this. I have a few smaller gazingus pins that are mostly under control, but my biggest gazingus pin is and always has been books. Being surrounded by books is intensely comforting to me for a whole variety of reasons. While that's not necessarily bad, the fact that I buy books and then don't READ them is. Books are great, but my relationship with them is off, and to me it feels disrespectful to a book to buy it and then never interact with it again.

Therefore, I have a moratorium on buying new books; the only exception is a book for the book club I run IF I can't find it at any of the libraries I have access to, or on a friend's shelf. Audible subscrip is cancelled, my comic pull list is set to run out at the ends of the current runs (may take a bit but we'll see), and I have given myself a firm GLARE about buying rarer medieval texts at the specialty bookshop. Gift books are okay (they're the guaranteed thing I receive on any gift-giving occasion). I'm not sure what my line is yet on free books (e.g. free piles or Little Library books). I'm leaning towards no on the freebies, but I'm not sure yet.

Congrats to everyone who is successfully resisting their gazingus pins! Woooo!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2018, 10:49:47 AM »
And now the nail polish grab bag is 20% off.  UGH.

NOT BUYING!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2018, 11:01:15 AM »
@iowajes Can you take some time today to do some nice nail art? Something that uses your current supplies and is beautiful and makes you happy? Getting to do that, and reflecting on the bounty of resources you have available to you to make art and be happy, can definitely help me sometimes when I'm feeling the spending-monster trying to uncurl from inside...

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »
And now the nail polish grab bag is 20% off.  UGH.

NOT BUYING!

If you belong to a nail polish or cosmetics community, how about organizing a "mystery grab bag" swap?  You could collect a few names and assign everyone a random partner, Secret Santa style. Then everyone puts the same number of their unused nail polishes, or an equal dollar value of cosmetics, in pretty bags, and sends it to their partner.

Lifejoy, that's some lovely jewelry but the goal is not for us to swap gazingus pins!! It may inspire me to check out my jewelry making kit, which has been unused for several years, though.

I'm happy to say that I haven't purchased anything but basic food since I last wrote in.   I was working on an electronics project for which I already owned 90% of the materials, went online to get the missing bits, saw that there was a $100 free shipping minimum, started adding items that I might need just in case, then suddenly realized that I was about to start another gazingus binge.  I asked my husband to check if he has the pieces I need (<$3) in his workshop already.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »
OK OK - here I am, joining the club - pass the tea, please:)

I've followed this challenge from the beginning and I've resisted joining in the fun (fun, ugh - highly debatable:). Resistance proved futile - I have some bada$$ goals for 2018 and unless I kick my jewelry habit - I love natural gemstones and whenever there is a new mine find or a favorite, like Sleeping Beauty Turquoise about to be mined out - I spend every extra penny on my sparkly obsession.

Looking over my 2017 expenditures showed me that I lied to myself all of 2017 - I am an out of control, raging jewelry/gemstone collector. Yes, I've successfully beat the collector's fever down to a smoldering fire - a few times in the last three years and yes, I did no real damage to my finances, yet.
However, the ugly truth is that if I want to meet my goals this year I need to step away from the fire.

A few days ago:
Oh lord, help me - it's gem week and I just discovered that my favorite designer is offering an event price on the matching earrings and ring to the necklace I already own.
This is my birthstone and my birthday is coming up and I really want to own the complete ensemble - well, everyone knows a complete set is more valuable to a collector .....
OMG, I can't stand to watch - this is the last cut (meaning he is out of that stone cut) - meaning this is a one and done, unless I order this now - it will be gone forever. I.WANT.IT.!!!

I came to this thread thirty times and shut off the TV for the afternoon - when I looked again, the set was sold out. So I didn't really totally resist temptation, I knew that if I held off for a few hours it would be gone forever - oh the agony!
Relief too - this was $700 I could ill afford to spend and I knew it, still, while I was in the grip of desire - imagining wearing my new complete set on my birthday - I was coming up with all sorts of spins to make it happen anyway - I mean I could ask for the ring for my birthday, ignoring that I already asked for a watch - I'm worth it, right?!

Full disclosure:
I did order a ring during gem week, before I saw the jewelry ensemble to match my necklace. My intention had been to allow myself one item, but only an item that I had been drooling over for a while and only if it was at a killer event price to boot.
So there is that - 99 bucks worth incl S&H.

But - that was before I discovered the extent of my jewelry purchases in 2017 at another channel that I had managed to hide from my conscious inspection. So now I feel guilty, chagrined.
I am questioning my values and what I'm even doing on MMM - since obviously I may be bada$$ in some areas - but a total failure in the obsession with sparkly beauties department.

@lifejoy - I hope it is OK for me to hang out with you here. I do think jewelry repairs should be allowed, if we don't, we deprive ourselves of the joy of wearing our sparkling beauties.
I am holding off on having my mother's pearl necklace restrung because I don't wear it that often.
I will not have anything reworked or have a new piece designed around my Morganite stones collection like I hoped to do for my birthday either.

I'm really feeling the pinch of paying off the few sparklies incl a lovely Chrome Diopside necklace with awesome stone quality that I pounced on during the holiday sale. These were pieces to enhance my collection and I love and wear everyone one of them with great joy. The trouble is that I forgot how much of an impact even a $200 monthly payment can have on an already tight budget - there was much upheaval in my budget in 2017 and I'm still trying to adjust - not fun.

So since it is no longer in the budget and all my resources in 2018 will be poured into my two goals of $50K savings and filling up my travel fund in time for my Europe trip later this year - there will be no more Gazingus pins for me in 2018.

Oh and lifejoy, I am glad that I was never into diamonds, although I admire the Art Deco pieces, they never were in my price range:) Although I do own a couple, including one ring I bought in Amsterdam at the Diamond Exchange a long time ago, small, but exquisite.
I'm a sucker for gold though and one day I will buy that one particular style gold necklace I've always wanted, maybe for my 70th birthday. Yes, I think I'd like that.
In fact, as I write this I've come to a decision - that necklace will be the last thing I'll ever buy. I love jewelry and always pick up something on every trip I take, but I am well aware that the time has come to say enough is enough and in a sense, I am good with that.
So I will end it all in style with a fine gold necklace.

Whew - funny how these things happen sometimes - it will be so much easier to quit cold turkey now.
So now I am thinking - - yup, nothing at all is just fine with me.
Just think, I'll save a bunch of money now and in the future. I'll be able to meet both my goals a lot easier and I have that last fine gold necklace to look forward to.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2018, 07:47:36 PM »
So... it looks like my husband will be using my exception and buying fabric.

We are redoing our living room, and the design presented includes $700 of pillows.  I can make 8 pillows for about $50-100, even with expensive home dec fabric.  I will first go through my stash of quilting cottons and see if I can do anything with what I have, including dyeing some; so I'm going to avoid buying.  But there is NO WAY I will buy a pillow. Especially not for $80 (I used to balk at $25 pillows...)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2018, 12:30:09 AM »
So far so good, I do better with clear limits so this has been a good challenge to join.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2018, 07:43:04 AM »
@Rosy - just really wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your post. I was giggling a lot. Sounds like a worthy & expensive gazingus pin! Good luck.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »
@Rosy - just really wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your post. I was giggling a lot. Sounds like a worthy & expensive gazingus pin! Good luck.

I agree--really enjoyed reading that Rosy.
We all understand the strange feeling that seems to override every other bit of logic when our particular 'precious' is in our grasp. :)

Good job! And I think you are onto something..you will look forward to your new golden beauty and appreciate all the sparklies you have so much more if you aren't worried about the next accumulation.
Thanks for sharing!

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »
Avoided some adorable fashion and accessories last night...a lovely lace bralette that I just don't need was passed over with only an adoring glance.   Sadly, I know that my girls would never be contained by such frivolity, but it is nice to day dream.  Buttery soft navy blue and magnolia leggings with a denim tunic...sigh.  And then I wandered away from the shiny pretties, muttering under my breath "no gazingus pins" and made haste to the item I really needed, TEA...bahahahahaha

No really, its for my new singing gig, got to protect the pipes.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
Just checking in to say I'm still going strong.

Really appreciating this thread. Making a public commitment to buy NO gazingus pins has helped me in ways I did not expect - it is oddly soothing to know I won't be browsing certain online shops, won't be agonising over potential purchases, won't be wondering afterwards if they will be worth it. Thanks Lifejoy!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2018, 05:26:09 AM »

We are redoing our living room, and the design presented includes $700 of pillows.  I can make 8 pillows for about $50-100, even with expensive home dec fabric.  I will first go through my stash of quilting cottons and see if I can do anything with what I have, including dyeing some; so I'm going to avoid buying.  But there is NO WAY I will buy a pillow. Especially not for $80 (I used to balk at $25 pillows...)

Gotta ask... could you live without pillows for 11.5 months? Any worries that this could be the first exception of many...?

Though I will admit that I did suggest to my husband that he could buy me a silk top I found for $15! He knows I’m in this challenge and didn’t fall for it ;)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2018, 06:14:33 AM »
Still staying pretty strong.  Only one beauty item purchased so far.  The brutal weather made that a need.  Awesome.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2018, 06:56:10 AM »

Gotta ask... could you live without pillows for 11.5 months? Any worries that this could be the first exception of many..

I could, I'm not really a fan of them on couches, but redecorating our living room is husbands #1 priority this year. If I don't make them, he will buy them.