Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189459 times)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #1050 on: September 19, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »
I was wondering where you were, Rosy! Welcome back. :D

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1051 on: September 19, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »
Wow, I just realized that it's been a month since my massive Chinatown tea splurge, and I am happy to report continuing satisfaction with my new choices and almost zero urge to buy more tea.*  My biggest regret at this point is that I am getting so many brewings out of the tea that I have to use boring tea bags (instead of the good stuff) like 2 days out of 3 so I get my caffeine hit!

I think my giant pile o'tea had been bugging me because it was largely "meh" stuff that had piled up + "special" stuff that I didn't drink because I didn't want to run out of.  Now I have cleared out the meh stuff and broken the wall that kept me from enjoying the special stuff, and in some strange way it feels like that emotional power it had over me is gone -- even though I never realized it was there in the first place.  If that makes any sense at all.  It was like I was hemmed in by thinking "I am so wasteful not drinking that meh tea" and "oh, that's good stuff, I can't have that, it's just Tuesday, and there is nothing worthy of it," and I didn't even realize I was thinking all those things until I had to make myself drink the stuff.  And once I realized those thoughts, I was able to call bullshit on them and just enjoy my damn tea.

I also think I am truly enjoying my plenty because I had so many months of semi-deprivation -- not that it was actually a hardship or anything :-), just that I could not have whatever I wanted the second I wanted it, so I re-set my hedonic treadmill a bit.  So my new plan, as of now, is to basically do what I just did by accident:  periodic splurges, followed by periods in which I focus on using up what I splurged on.  I feel like that makes me happier.

*I still get a twinge, which feels almost like a reflex; but as soon as I remember my deliciousness at home, I go, "oh, yeah, right," and walk away without a second thought.  I have bought more tea bags, because I completely ran out, but those were never the gazingus pin.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1052 on: September 19, 2018, 07:31:26 PM »
This month I had a co-worker who sews ask me if I wanted to go to the Good Fabric store on their half-price day and it was so easy to say no, I have enough fabric. And I do!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1053 on: September 20, 2018, 11:54:29 AM »
...... I didn't even realize I was thinking all those things until I had to make myself drink the stuff.  And once I realized those thoughts, I was able to call bullshit on them and just enjoy my damn tea.

..... So my new plan, as of now, is to basically do what I just did by accident:  periodic splurges, followed by periods in which I focus on using up what I splurged on.  I feel like that makes me happier.

The tea saga continues:) ..... and the revelations just keep coming:)
It works just like that with my jewelry buying - periodic splurges, wait - I quit, didn't I?

Saw all the jewelry channels in the TV guide are having some sort of bonanza. I did not click and look, although I was tempted. I'm just telling myself I can do 102 more days until the end of the year 2018.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1054 on: September 21, 2018, 06:18:27 AM »
Wow, I just realized that it's been a month since my massive Chinatown tea splurge, and I am happy to report continuing satisfaction with my new choices and almost zero urge to buy more tea.*  My biggest regret at this point is that I am getting so many brewings out of the tea that I have to use boring tea bags (instead of the good stuff) like 2 days out of 3 so I get my caffeine hit!

I think my giant pile o'tea had been bugging me because it was largely "meh" stuff that had piled up + "special" stuff that I didn't drink because I didn't want to run out of.  Now I have cleared out the meh stuff and broken the wall that kept me from enjoying the special stuff, and in some strange way it feels like that emotional power it had over me is gone -- even though I never realized it was there in the first place.  If that makes any sense at all.  It was like I was hemmed in by thinking "I am so wasteful not drinking that meh tea" and "oh, that's good stuff, I can't have that, it's just Tuesday, and there is nothing worthy of it," and I didn't even realize I was thinking all those things until I had to make myself drink the stuff.  And once I realized those thoughts, I was able to call bullshit on them and just enjoy my damn tea.

I also think I am truly enjoying my plenty because I had so many months of semi-deprivation -- not that it was actually a hardship or anything :-), just that I could not have whatever I wanted the second I wanted it, so I re-set my hedonic treadmill a bit.  So my new plan, as of now, is to basically do what I just did by accident:  periodic splurges, followed by periods in which I focus on using up what I splurged on.  I feel like that makes me happier.

*I still get a twinge, which feels almost like a reflex; but as soon as I remember my deliciousness at home, I go, "oh, yeah, right," and walk away without a second thought.  I have bought more tea bags, because I completely ran out, but those were never the gazingus pin.

Laura33, can you enlighten me on your special teas? I was a late bloomer to coffee and still only drink one strong French roasted coffee in the morning. I was brought up on Lipton tea but not a big tea drinker either. I do when I feel sick or my sinuses are stuffed up and it really helps. I bought some ginger tea, however it has sugar in it and normally I use Splenda so even though it is delicious, I cringe to drink it due to the sugar. Once in a while I indulge. I am always looking for a new low cal beverage that is tasty. I especially love a spicy hot ginger. What are you drinking and what makes it so tasty to you? The spiciness, the sweetness, the aroma? Thanks!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1055 on: September 21, 2018, 09:13:23 AM »
Good job everybody!

I just caught up on some of the recent reflections and it was quite inspiring.

@Rosy & @wenchsenior --there were so many interesting take-aways in your exchange.  And I do think a financial counsellor would be a fascinating career...my bookkeeper and I have talked about how being an accountant can be an intimate position--in a way similar to being a house-cleaner (but, of course with a different power balance).
I guess, instead of  observing someone's mess/way of living/compulsive-ness and cleaning up what they can, the accountant has to face the often difficult realities of someone's financial choices and help them take responsibility as well.

But at least it's not their problem if someone has landed themselves in a difficult position, just often emotionally challenging since people are distraught..
(She also did reflect that her job is a WHOLE lot easier when people are already working on their relationship with money and being somewhat responsible!)

I haven't signed up for a single art workshop this year and NO BOOks either (okay, there were two e-books at one point but I'm not concerned about those), and my partner published a book so I bought one for my parents :)  These were not part of my gazingus-pin challenge.

Stars for the year!  Wuhoo!

I do think taking a complete break from shopping this year has helped reset my relationship to consumption and spending.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1056 on: September 21, 2018, 01:36:19 PM »
@Roadrunner53:  First, I love a very clean plain black tea -- no sugar, no lemon, no milk.  Tazo Awake is good; sun tea is even better, is rounder and fruitier with less of the bitter undertone.  Don't like bitter.  So that is my standard bag o' tea.

The teas that I tend to be attracted to are Chinese, and they are usually green- or white-tea based.  I like particular aromas/flavors that are noticeable but light enough they don't overwhelm the tea.  My go-tos are jasmine and peach (both of which can be done with either green or white, and even black) -- but the peach has to be fresh peach, not that heavy/sweet/cinnamony/fall spice kind of peach.  I also enjoy just a pure, high-quality, high-altitude green tea -- the one I got is almost as bright and light colored as early spring leaves, and it avoids the bitter or weedy flavor you get in some of the other greens.  My new favorite, which I had never had before, is a very light oolong tea with ginseng in it -- the ginseng creates a round, almost sweet taste, but also has like almost a slightly numbing/buzzy/coating feel in the mouth (really don't know how to describe it, as you can tell).  Oh, and the guilty pleasure is a coconut red tea (red tea is what the Chinese call what we call black tea) -- it tastes round and full and rich and almost sweet, even with no sugar added.  The guy was totally laughing at me (because I asked to try it right after he had given us samples of that super-high-quality green tea), but I bought it anyway.  :-)

The other key is using the right temperature water, and the right steeping time.  Even the best teas get bitter if you use water that is too hot or steep for too long.  I actually splurged a few years ago and got one of those electric kettles that you can set for all the different temperatures for the specific kind of tea.

Really, the reason the trip was so good was because I got to sit there in the shop for an hour and try all of these various teas, so I knew that I loved all of the ones that I bought.  That's really the only way to figure out your own tastes.  I think I built up my giant stash of old teas because I kept trying things from different stores and not liking them, and then I'd end up with all of the leftovers.  So this cost me a lot more all at once, but it probably saved money over the long term.  Or at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;-)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1057 on: September 22, 2018, 05:00:06 AM »
Laura33, great explanation of the different teas! It seems a whole world I have never been introduced to. I have never been to a tea shop to experiment. I will have to try to find one. You know your teas! Thanks!

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1058 on: October 01, 2018, 11:46:17 AM »
Claiming my virtual star for no books purchased in September - woohoo! 75% of the way there!

How’d everyone else do?

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1059 on: October 01, 2018, 11:57:22 AM »
Also claiming my star for no books bought.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #1060 on: October 02, 2018, 09:11:36 AM »
Drove by Staples, was tempted, but did NOT go in and buy new fun pens.  Still holding strong.

MustacheAnxiety

• Stubble
« Reply #1061 on: October 03, 2018, 08:02:02 AM »
Congrats everyone! You are all an inspiration.

Joining for the last 90 days.  My Gazingus pin is good deals: "free" with rebate items at Menards, name brand cloths at 90% off retail, 180 ct Puffs tissues for 91 cents, family size Doritos for $1, last years Christmas wrapping paper for 90% off, running shoes for $20, big box with 50 metal pens for $5, new 12" triply all-clad pan for $40, cat hammock for $5 ...

What was once a virtue has become a vice. After downsizing the house and a very modest attempt at dejunking, we are still left with a 1000 sf of our basement that is basically clutter.  Some of it should be sold or donated, but much of it could be handled by working through our 5+ year supply of various good deals.

E-baying my old prized finds seems too daunting, but not buying more should save time. So for the rest of the year I can only buy:
Perishable food (expiration within 3 months)
Christmas/birthday gifts for nieces, nephews, parents, and cat
Gas
oil filter
tools for projects to be completed within 30 days (after trying to borrow them)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1062 on: October 03, 2018, 08:11:08 AM »
Went to Target yesterday to pick up an online order of Decaf Chai concentrate and a blanket for our bed.  Browsed the maternity section, but DID NOT buy anything.  Whew.  I might need a pair of leggings in a month or two, but I'll live with stretching out my lularoe leggings for a while longer.

I bought zero clothes in September, so star for me! I did get some free ones from my SIL, who was downsizing to move.  I like her style, but thinking about it now, the volume of her discarded clothes that I've dug through in the last year or so is probably more than half as large as my whole wardrobe.  I wonder if that will change now that she's out of grad school and has a real job, and won't have her mom to go shopping with and buy her clothes.  She's overall a fairly thoughtful person with her money, but I think she doesn't fully realize how much her mom spends on her.

My Gazingus pin is good deals: "free" with rebate items at Menards, name brand cloths at 90% off retail, 180 ct Puffs tissues for 91 cents, family size Doritos for $1, last years Christmas wrapping paper for 90% off, running shoes for $20, big box with 50 metal pens for $5, new 12" triply all-clad pan for $40, cat hammock for $5 ...

What was once a virtue has become a vice.

Good luck!  It's hard to turn down good deals, especially when they're things that you might possibly conceive of using someday :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1063 on: October 03, 2018, 06:54:34 PM »
What was once a virtue has become a vice.

MustacheAnxiety (love that name:) - Wow an entire basement full to sort through, that is daunting.

Bargain hunting is fun but quickly becomes addictive and like you said it will take over your house if you let it. Kudos for recognizing and dealing with it!

There is a fine line between hoarding and stocking up on a good deal for groceries or household items. It took several discussions with Mr. R. to convince him that really, all I wanted was to buy three months worth of supplies - since we have space and it is not going back on sale for another three months, saving us a fair amount of money.
Targeted shopping - some of our favorites only go on sale every 7 to 10 weeks - worth it to wait for BOGO and be ready with a few coupons on top of that.

I'm not a hoarder, but I admit I become anxious when I used up X and don't have a replacement in the pantry. I always have back-up, and I'm good about checking our hurricane supplies. I seriously think that Mr. R. would be fine with having nothing but tomorrow nights dinner in the cupboard. 

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1064 on: October 04, 2018, 08:16:16 AM »
I've been resisting socks/tights even though it's Halloween season and getting colder out.

I did buy some pumpkin spice tea at Trader Joe's the other day - in my defense, I was down to 2 teabags total in the house (2 bags, not 2 boxes!) and I'm sick with a cold.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1065 on: October 04, 2018, 09:14:58 AM »
@MustacheAnxiety - my gazingus pin is similar. I have done a good job of getting rid of shopping & toiletry bargains, because once I started tracking a few years ago, it was clear I'd overall increased my spending, and now had a house full of crap I had to move & didn't need anytime soon. I do still struggle with gift cards (bought with an incentive/discount).

My goal for 2018 (and beyond) is to only buy gift cards that I have a reasonably immediate use for. I've done "okay" with this in 2018, but have had a couple of fails.

Welcome & good luck!

MustacheAnxiety

• Stubble
« Reply #1066 on: October 05, 2018, 07:50:40 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and empathy chaskavitch, Rosy, and MaybeBabyMustache.  This year will just be turning off the fire hose of new stuff. Maybe next year I will be brave enough to join or start a decluttering challenge.

MustacheAnxiety

• Stubble
« Reply #1067 on: November 02, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
1 month in and no star for me.  I was thinking of ignoring a 4 pack of construction adhesive bought for $2 as we really did need and use 1, but bought 4 because 1 was $1.5 and 4 slightly better tubes were $2.  But last weekend we went to TJ Maxx, now known as the great enemy of my anti-hoarding commitment, and bought a wildly unnecessary $20 12" tri-ply Calphalon pan.  No more grocery shopping in complexes with a TJ Maxx, Marshall's, or Homegoods.  I also considered excluding items bought over my objections but they still end up as clutter in the house. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1068 on: November 02, 2018, 10:14:18 AM »
I've lost track of when I last asked for stars, but I can't recall when I last purchased polish, so I'm mostly doing well.

No craft supplies either, as I've had zero time to use them.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1069 on: November 02, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »
No books bought in October. Or September (can't remember if I checked in then, either!) So far I've only bought the one book this year that was not a purchase for book club, so I'm considering that a Very Good Go of it.

It's good to feel like something I love is no longer a source of concern for me -- I'm actually even getting better about getting rid of books. Yessssss!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1070 on: November 02, 2018, 06:30:44 PM »
I'm also back on track.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1071 on: November 02, 2018, 06:55:36 PM »
I'll give this a shot; all of mine are horse-related.  So I will not buy any:

Horse blankets (barring massive destruction of a winter blanket that doesn't have a spare)
Saddle pads
Riding breeches or boots

I've been MIA for several months and couldn't remeber what I'd even put here.  So essentially for the year, fail/fail/fail.

Horse blankets - I've actually been pretty good, but got a new horse, needing a different size.  That was not a planned event (traded horses, so no net gain in mouths to feed)
Saddle pads - I bought four matching in basic black and have been using them all year.  Also sold or repurposed about 7 pads, so actually a net decrease.  I've been fighting an urge to get some "matchy" horse outfits with different color pads, but have not given in.
Boots - botched that earlier in the year when I finally found my coveted dressage boots on the markdowns page of a certain purveyor of fine Dutch riding boots.  To hear it told, these will last me a decade or more.
Breeches - see saddle pads.  I bought a few more pair in all the same style, and sold off some others, so about a net zero there.  Fighting the urge to buy the 2-3 other colors that are now available in my chosen style.

I am off to repent by listing some things for sale on Facebook.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1072 on: November 04, 2018, 08:07:58 AM »
Star for me for October, but I already bought clothes for November.  A pair of maternity jeans and a Lularoe shirt from a secondhand shop.  They have an entire Lularoe section, lol, so I got a brand new "Perfect T" for $10.  Really I was looking for leggings, as those still fit me even at 20 weeks, but there are just so many hideous patterns.  Someday I'll find a basic-ish pair of LLR leggings to go with my bike ones, and I'll be set.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1073 on: November 04, 2018, 10:59:15 AM »
No books bought in October. Or September (can't remember if I checked in then, either!) So far I've only bought the one book this year that was not a purchase for book club, so I'm considering that a Very Good Go of it.

It's good to feel like something I love is no longer a source of concern for me -- I'm actually even getting better about getting rid of books. Yessssss!

Success @diapasoun - impressive!
I'll give this a shot; all of mine are horse-related.  So I will not buy any:

Horse blankets (barring massive destruction of a winter blanket that doesn't have a spare)
Saddle pads
Riding breeches or boots

I've been MIA for several months and couldn't remeber what I'd even put here.  So essentially for the year, fail/fail/fail.

Horse blankets - I've actually been pretty good, but got a new horse, needing a different size.  That was not a planned event (traded horses, so no net gain in mouths to feed)
Saddle pads - I bought four matching in basic black and have been using them all year.  Also sold or repurposed about 7 pads, so actually a net decrease.  I've been fighting an urge to get some "matchy" horse outfits with different color pads, but have not given in.
Boots - botched that earlier in the year when I finally found my coveted dressage boots on the markdowns page of a certain purveyor of fine Dutch riding boots.  To hear it told, these will last me a decade or more.
Breeches - see saddle pads.  I bought a few more pair in all the same style, and sold off some others, so about a net zero there.  Fighting the urge to buy the 2-3 other colors that are now available in my chosen style.

I am off to repent by listing some things for sale on Facebook.

ROFL - "off to repent by listing some things for sale":) Btw, you are not a fail for the year yet - there's November and December to "repent" I mean "to get a running start on 2019 and make it your year of success - MMMrs don't give up that easy.

Update:
Jewelry? what jewelry?:)
Hell, I just wore a necklace for the first time, that I had to peel the price tag off from - purchased over a year ago.
I still find it hard to believe I actually kicked the habit - it is a great feeling.

However, lest I sound too self-satisfied - I started buying books at Amazon to the tune of $25 in October. Not listed as my gazingus pin, since I've actually never done that before.
I joined something online called bookbub. They offer one free book every day and lots of reduced book prices as well. Well, I found a few sci-fi and time travel romance series that I liked, got the first book for free and then ordered the others. Dang.

Going to have to pay attention - lest this turn into a new gazingus pin.
Not anything I'm too concerned about at present, but looking at my cc bill was a reminder to keep my book-loving tendencies in check. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1074 on: November 04, 2018, 04:12:08 PM »
Checking in to say that still going strong, broken the sewing gazingus pin, have given away 5 bags and now I have my perfect backpack can add Bags to my No-Buy List.
And now that I have had a good year off the sewing obligation, have actually started getting the urge to sew again. Will be using one of my nice tops as a pattern for some more summer shirts that don't take ridiculous amounts of sewing. Getting a little excited about using up some of the backlog actually.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1075 on: November 05, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
I’m also checking in for a star for October! No books purchased for me :)

Kinda amazing that it doesn’t really phase me anymore...

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1076 on: November 07, 2018, 08:56:06 AM »
It is COLD out which means that I am back to drinking tea daily. Which means that I am going to run out, and then buy more. I'm trying to figure out what is a reasonable amount of tea to have on hand, rather than a gazingus-pin level of tea. I'm thinking no more than 3 varieties at once? Does that sound reasonable? That's what I have in the house right now. Hm, actually, I have 4 but one is caffeinated so I can't have that one at night. I should just bring that one to work. I don't like to drink the same kind every day, that defeats the purpose of trying to convince myself that it is a treat, rather than a substitute for what I really want to be faceplanting in (sweets, carbs, wine).

I have not bought any more fun socks or tights but now that the weather's turned I REALLY REALLY want to. I am white knuckling it and gritting my teeth and staying the hell off of sockdreams.com. Actually, what'll probably really help is getting through my backlog of laundry. Once all my legwear is washed and I can't get my drawer closed again, that'll probably remind me that I really do not need more.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1077 on: November 07, 2018, 10:37:44 AM »
What feels comfortable to you in terms of "not a gazingus pin" levels of tea?

I know for me that the things made me uncomfortable about the books gazingus pin included:

[ul]
  • Not enough space on my shelves for the books I had
  • Buying more books when I hadn't read the ones I already had
  • Not feeling thoughtful enough about my purchases
[/ul]

So for me, feeling comfortable about my book collection involves having enough space for the books to be properly housed, reading the books I already have, and adding books in purposeful, thoughtful ways.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1078 on: November 07, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »
That makes sense. That's why I stopped buying legwear - could not close the drawer that they go in. (Being able to close drawers all the way is extra important now that I've got the kittens - they LOVE socks, and LOVE pulling soft fabric things out!)

I think what bothered me about the tea, when I decided it was a gazingus pin, is that I had multiple varieties that were similar, and some that I bought when I didn't actually need more, because they sounded good, but turned out to be meh. I hate forcing myself to finish off food and drink that I don't really like. And at the time I had a pile of tea that I didn't like - meanwhile I was dieting, and trying to convince myself that hot tea was my evening treat!

So I guess other things I can do is not buy more tea that's similar to what I have (like right now I have lemon ginger, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon apple. I might want to add a mint to that), and to only buy stuff that I've bought before or am reasonably sure I will like. Nothing weird. I'm looking at you, "sugar cookie" herbal tea that was disgusting!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1079 on: November 07, 2018, 03:31:39 PM »
Hmm my tea collection is varied enough for me to feel like I Get To Choose but not gazingus pin levels - for ex. I have 3 different liqorice teas so I am not buying any more but they are all ones I drink and enjoy and will replace when I run out. I will replace two of the 3 rooibos teas we have once drunk - again because we go through it but I won't replace the one that only Ofpym likes - I'd rather get the one that all the household enjoys.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1080 on: November 07, 2018, 09:06:00 PM »
I didn't buy any unnecessary/unplanned gift cards in October, so a win. November & December are where things get super dicey for me, because there are always a ton of promotional offers.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1081 on: November 16, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »
I didn't buy craft supplies in October, and maybe not even in September. Was too busy.  And I just used up several yards of polar fleece and am 50% complete with knitting the second mitten of a pair that I started in 2009-- so that's a win!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1082 on: November 16, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »
After reading this thread and musing a while, I identified one definite GP for myself, and also confirmed that some of my 'under-control' GPs still need watching.  The main one is greeting cards. It's so weird, for years I've compulsively bought greeting cards whenever I travel to a new location (the kind with some location or region specific artwork).  But I (almost) never send any, so I have probably 50 of them.  Not even sure what the impulse was there? Commemorate the trip? Weird.

So, no more of that.  I doubt I will use 50+ cards in my lifetime as it is...

Also, I need to watch myself on the cookbooks (I don't really cook that much) and apparently on puzzles, which hasn't been active in a while.  With the advent of holiday season, puzzle companies have been sending me advert emails and I've been severely tempted to open them.  But I haven't.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1083 on: November 16, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »
@wenchsenior unsubscribe! unsubscribe! remove the temptation before it can strike!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1084 on: November 16, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »
@wenchsenior unsubscribe! unsubscribe! remove the temptation before it can strike!

If I can make it through Xmas, I'm good for at least a year.  But, yeah...

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1085 on: November 17, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »
Long time - planned jewelry purchase. Finally, found matching earrings for a jewelry ensemble that was a challenge to complete. Totally pleased with myself, because I bought nothing else - nada - zip.

It is for an antique smokey quartz pendant my grandma wore a lot that I always loved. My mom had a ring made in white gold to match maybe forty years ago and I "yeah, happy dance" finally found a pair of matching earrings online.
Set in 925 silver rhodium plated. Promo day plus I scored a 30% discount, total price an unbelievable $71.
I'm so thrilled.

Only took me about ten years to find a match, I was seriously considering having earrings made. With luck, it will arrive before Thanksgiving so I can wear it for dinner.

I'm still interested in Jewelry but I'm back to my normal self - I may look, but the addiction and the compulsion to buy is gone.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1086 on: November 17, 2018, 04:46:50 PM »
Rosy - that is a tremendous win. Both the set completion and the gazingus pin conquering. Awesome stuff.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1087 on: November 29, 2018, 02:25:40 PM »
Good job everybody!

I just caught up on some of the recent reflections and it was quite inspiring.

@Rosy & @wenchsenior --there were so many interesting take-aways in your exchange.
SNIP

I haven't signed up for a single art workshop this year and NO BOOks either (okay, there were two e-books at one point but I'm not concerned about those), and my partner published a book so I bought one for my parents :)  These were not part of my gazingus-pin challenge.

Stars for the year!  Wuhoo!

I do think taking a complete break from shopping this year has helped reset my relationship to consumption and spending.

Super impressive @Serendip - congrats!
I must admit this gazingus pin challenge was an eye-opener and rocked my world, even changed my perspective.
All in all, this has been my best year here on MMM, my biggest challenge(s) and my biggest win(s).

I do hope 2019 will be a good year for all of us - meeting and exceeding our goals, one challenge at a time. JDI!:)

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1088 on: November 30, 2018, 07:30:49 AM »
No books bought for the month of November...one month to go.

Time flies when you're not buying any gazingus pins (well...to be fair, time didn't always feel like it was flying. At the beginning, it felt like a slog staring down 12 months of not buying books. But over the last several months, I feel I can say I've kicked the habit and am much happier for having done so)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1089 on: November 30, 2018, 07:40:32 AM »
I love how we are resetting our gazingus pin settings.  I am going to be exposed to some major temptation this month, and I think  I am in a lot better place to handle it than I was last year.  I have already talked myself out of buying something major that I really really wanted but really don't need, that was gazingus pin-related.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1090 on: November 30, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »
Although I was only about 50-50 for gazingus-free months, this challenge definitely caused me to be more mindful of my purchases and in fact caused me to focus more on using the craft supplies I have, rather than skipping to the next project or fad. And the concept that I actually had two hobbies (craft buying vs crafting) was very enlightening! 

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1091 on: November 30, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »
And the concept that I actually had two hobbies (craft buying vs crafting) was very enlightening!

This is an excellent insight. <3

I'm very glad for this thread -- it's gotten me to a better relationship with my books, has gotten me at the library more (including volunteering now), and has made me generally more mindful of my purchases and whether or not they're worth it.

MustacheAnxiety

• Stubble
« Reply #1092 on: December 03, 2018, 01:13:45 PM »
This month was a success but easier than most as I got to scratch the good deals gazingus pin itch by buying Christmas gifts, so I enjoyed the fun of buying without the clutter.  I also found a few things to regift to some coworkers.  Just need to try and keep having months where more goes out than comes in.

Hi @Serendip I would like to do a buy nothing year but worry about inventing too many exceptions.  Do you have a good list of what you can buy? We need a reset of our relationship with consumption.

Good job on conquering so many gazingus pins this year everyone!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1093 on: December 04, 2018, 07:05:21 PM »
I *ahem* may have gone a little bit too far with my gift card deals in December. I strayed a bit from my plan to only buy gift cards that I have an immediate plan for, and got caught up in the "good deals". I did well for the majority of the year, but the holidays are my kryptonite.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1094 on: December 09, 2018, 09:37:31 AM »
Wow, so great to catch up on this thread!

I’ve had some majorly close calls but have still managed to not buy any clothes this year! Woohoo! (Except for one bridesmaids dress).

I even borrowed a Halloween costume :)

Jewelry has been a shit show but I think choosing two major GPs to focus on was too ambitious. Next year I will be banning jewelry. Intense!

Rosy- what was the book I recommended that you read? I’m curious. I just finished “To Buy or Not To Buy” and it was pretty excellent. Also Gail Vaz-Oxlade’s book, “Money Smart Kids” was very helpful. And the spark joy podcast. Anyways Gail’s book made me think a lot about the differences between controlled spending and an outright ban. I think a ban can be a good reset,  but ultimately we need a plan to be able to integrate controlled spending on the things we love. January has me a bit nervous! Scared to open the floodgates. But I really could use a new pair of jeans and a T-shirt that fits.

My gauntlet for 2019 will be to do ZERO personal online shopping. This will help me resist jewellery, and it will also help me not buy clothes that look great and for awful. It will also help me support local business and to get out of the amazon one click shopping habit. Yep! I’ll make a new thread but I’d love to see some of you in it :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1096 on: December 09, 2018, 09:40:32 AM »
Oh, and a couple good quotes:

“If everything is special, then nothing is special.” - the minimalists

“If you buy every good deal you find, you’ll never have money” - Gail Vaz-Oxlade

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1097 on: December 09, 2018, 11:05:59 AM »

“If you buy every good deal you find, you’ll never have money” - Gail Vaz-Oxlade

I love Gail!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1098 on: December 09, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »

Hi @Serendip I would like to do a buy nothing year but worry about inventing too many exceptions.  Do you have a good list of what you can buy? We need a reset of our relationship with consumption.

Good job on conquering so many gazingus pins this year everyone!

We kept it fairly simple for our challenge @MustacheAnxiety
 My SO read a NY Times article (about Ann Patchett's No Shopping Year) in mid-December and we decided to start Jan 1st so didn't overthink it too much.
For us, it was more a challenge to easy consumerism rather than about spending money (although my savings rate went through the roof!)

We decided that we could buy food, hygiene products, and experiences (doing 'things'/tickets to events, etc), also if either of us needed something specifically related to work that would be allowed. I did buy 2 extra pairs of underwear before we started, and am looking forward to replacing a few pairs of socks soon. Some clothes are definitely overworn and I can tell which clothes I'll likely never wear since I haven't reached for them this entire year even though my wardrobe is now quite tiny.

I mended and patched and darned things as well.

It's been an amazing experience and now we need to decide now what our next challenge will be.  We have spoken about being intentional with our purchases..supporting local when possible (asking my bookstore to bring in a book over ordering from Amazon), choosing ethically produced/sourced products over the cheapest (but then having less..having only what we need)..this really excites me. It appeals to my desire for my actions to be in alignment with my values and it also appeals to my secret-minimalist (who currently lives in a bit of a maximalist way)

I also chose to stay away from art workshops for the year and that was a big decision since I tend to take quite intensive courses and spend between $500-2000 on these experiences..they do inspire me and add to my art practice but they also can be a financial strain for someone who doesn't have a high income.

Also it was quite a revelation to to realize how many decisions I didn't have to make, regrets I didn't have to have or browsing I didn't need to do when shopping wasn't an option. Highly liberating!  Let me know how creating your own list goes, I love hearing about others experiences with this challenge  :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:23:17 AM by Serendip »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1099 on: December 09, 2018, 04:01:36 PM »
I have been thinking about what I want to try next year, and I think it will be a variation of no clothing purchases/30 day wait for non-food purchases. I just need to work out which one will be healthier for my brain. I suspect it will be the 30 day wait option.