Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 76112 times)

diapasoun

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #1000 on: July 25, 2018, 10:56:59 AM »
My mom gives me a Visa gift card every year for Christmas. I have NO IDEA how to keep track of the balances except by putting a sticker on the card and writing the new balance in. Ugh.

How do you think your gift card status differs now from when you started the year?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1001 on: July 25, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
I lost a July star. I bought some nail polish.  But I am really happy with my purchase.  So I'm OK with it.
6/7 so far is decent.

You are ahead of me!

What color did you get?

That makes it sound like I only got one...

I bought from ILNP.com and got: Deep End (blue jelly with red shimmer shift), Rush Hour (amazing holographic berry jelly), Someday (bright green jelly with silver holo sparkle), Lights Out (deep burgundy jelly with shift to green and gold shimmer), Misbehaving (pink jelly with sparkly silver holo glitter), Surfboard (gorgeous turqouise jelly with holo glitter), and Interstellar (teal jelly, with navy/purple shift and holo glitter).

Surfboard, Interstellar, and Someday are real standouts! 

I had a 25% off code, which is the only time I buy from them- with free shipping, a pretty reasonable $7.15 a polish.

*for non-nail polish people "holo" means sparkle that reflects a rainbow rather than plain single color glitter.  And jelly is a type of polish that is more sheer and layers for a really cool look, as opposed to 'creme' polishes generally sold in drug stores.

Not to encourage a gazingus pin but those are flipping gorgeous.  Since I am a person with chronically weak flaky nails*, I have *not* kept up with nail polish tech, so do these require gel setting or any other technology to work? and 2) the holo colours - does this involve any sort of hard glitter/sparkle objects that will shred my nails when I try to remove the colour?

Because I am Hearts For Eyes re Interstellar, Lights Out and Harbour Island but there is no point in buying awesome nail polish if it will just peel off in 1 big sheet or result in ripped nails when I remove it.

*I have tried everything including the nail strengthener used by guitarists. I miss you Once Removed original formula, if I had known you would be discontinued I would have bought you in bulk

These are not gel polishes, so they just dry normally.

The holo removes with regular polish remover, no chunky glitter. 

Polish can actually strengthen flaky nails, as long as you don't use remover very often (that's what dries them out; the remover) because it protects them as a barrier layer.  Depending on how oily your nails are, something like UNT peel off base coat can eliminate the need to use nail polish remover. It's helped me a lot, but I have one oily nail that the nail polish just pops off on its own after a day or so...the rest of the nails stay in place for a week.  But it is AMAZING if you need to wear chunky glitter for an event.

I use jojoba oil daily as a cuticle oil. I have a little pen that I refill so it's cheaper that way. Your nails might be fight that. Have you seen a dermatologist to make sure there isn't an underlying deficiency?

There is a facebook group for ILNP- you're in the UK right? Do you want me to find out if there is a retailer there to avoid international shipping?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1002 on: July 25, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »
My mom gives me a Visa gift card every year for Christmas. I have NO IDEA how to keep track of the balances except by putting a sticker on the card and writing the new balance in. Ugh.

How do you think your gift card status differs now from when you started the year?

I'm thinking of just buying something for more than $50 & using it all at once. Or, maybe a gift card for Amazon at the grocery store, and then immediately applying it to my Amazon account. I started off the year with $1276, so down a bit.

mspym

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1003 on: July 25, 2018, 05:29:24 PM »
Red Panda - I think all my nails are oily. Nail polish just comes off in one day, generally taking the top layer of nail with it.
BUT good to know about the ILNP, my Nail Polish friend also rec'd their metallics and told me to wave goodbye to my bank balance.
I'm in Oz so I'll check out the local suppliers.
/end NP digressions

I get a star for this month! My bag gazingus pin reared up again so I've been having to play whack-a-mole but since I DIDN'T buy any this month, stars for *meeeeeeeeee*

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1004 on: July 28, 2018, 07:35:14 AM »
I think I will also earn a star this month, although it isn't August yet.   But I don't see any major tempting situation in the near future.  I am basically avoiding temptation by shopping in my stash instead.

middo

• Bristles
  • Learning.
« Reply #1005 on: July 28, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »
I'll make it to August, and honestly I have broken the habit of buying tools because I "may need it in the future". August will require tool purchases, because we will be starting a to clean and renovate our rental that is 4000 kms from my tool shed.  Most tools I will need will not be economic to ship, so minimal purchases and some hiring will be needed.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1006 on: July 31, 2018, 08:44:05 AM »
Permission to make the stars metaphorical? Because I canít add them on my phone, I never get around to it :/

But we should be doing this for the intrinsic rewards, right? ;)

Anyways. Iíve been staying strong with no clothes buying. 7 months! Woot! I feel like my brain has rewired. I donít shop for clothes anymore! I donít have the urge to, either! Itís really neat. Itís also helped me to appreciate the clothes I already own. Now, I did attend a clothing swap and I also found a huge box of clothes I packed away pre-pregnancy. That has certainly helped. But Iíve stopped thinking about NEW clothes. Theyíre not on my radar anymore. I did, however, buy some new socks and underwear. I decided theyíre not clothes and the need was real! I got tired of wearing stuff that has holes or was too big.

Jewellery. Now this is a process for me. I have a few problems in this area: the ďgood dealĒ, the love of variety, and a touch of an addiction. Iíve been letting myself buy whatever jewellery I want and it has made the addiction more apparent. And Iíve been asking myself, How much is enough? Do I want ten more? Can I enjoy what I have if I keep buying more? I also plan on opening an Etsy store to sell my good deals that I never wear. I consider this a good project, a positive thing for me to practice and learn about. Cheaper than an MBA!

Anyways Iím not going cold turkey on jewellery just yet,  but Iím working up to it and doing clothing first is a good practice for me. I feel like I could probably add one healthy habit per year, and ten years from now Iíd be a very awesome person ;)

You guys have been doing great! Keep updating and inspiring me! Itís very motivating to hear about your progress.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1007 on: August 01, 2018, 04:51:09 AM »
Whew, made it through July.  I did buy yarn, but for a project that needed yarn that was not in my stash (nothing remotely close to what I needed was in my stash).  So that was a legitimate purchase.  I did pet fibre, but resisted buying.  I have been wanting to try true worsted spinning, but have not bought the required fibre.  When more of the stash has been used (like next January), maybe.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1008 on: August 02, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »
Jewellery. Now this is a process for me. I have a few problems in this area: the ďgood dealĒ, the love of variety, and a touch of an addiction. Iíve been letting myself buy whatever jewellery I want and it has made the addiction more apparent. And Iíve been asking myself, How much is enough? Do I want ten more? Can I enjoy what I have if I keep buying more? I also plan on opening an Etsy store to sell my good deals that I never wear. I consider this a good project, a positive thing for me to practice and learn about. Cheaper than an MBA!

Sounds like you are asking the right questions of yourself.

The Etsy store sounds like a great idea.  Do you think you'll be able to recoup what you spent on the jewelry?

Is there a possibility that you will end up buying MORE using the store as an excuse?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1009 on: August 03, 2018, 09:31:16 PM »

Sounds like you are asking the right questions of yourself.

The Etsy store sounds like a great idea.  Do you think you'll be able to recoup what you spent on the jewelry?

Is there a possibility that you will end up buying MORE using the store as an excuse?

I'm very confident I can sell for more than what I paid.

I'm not as confident that I'm willing to part with these items ;)

Initially it was an excuse to buy more, but then I had some of the above questions/realizations. I'm attempting to re-start my jewellery ban. I can do it, I just have to want to. :/

Laura33

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1010 on: August 12, 2018, 10:22:22 AM »
Hi guys - quick check-in to report my loss of July star while on vacation.  I debated whether I really ďdeservedĒ to lose it; we were abroad and I legitimately needed to buy tea to get me through the trip.  But I didnít need that tea:  we were in a town with a great tea shop I was looking forward to shopping in, but they were closed when we got there, so DH picked me up regular box tea at the grocery store.  Then I went back the next day and bought some of the good stuff anyway - and I bought three (because it was a ďdealĒ - itís like 3 for 30e, vs 12e each).  I donít regret it - I brought the rest home, itís delicious, and Iíd do the same thing again - but now I am back to two rows deep on my shelf, and I canít in all fairness claim a star with such an excessive unnecessary purchase.

Also reporting in advance my forfeit of an August star.  We are going to SF, and DH has told me I must go tea-shopping in Chinatown.  Iíve never been and likely wonít be there again any time soon, so I plan to do that.  Again, no guilt whatsoever, but I canít in good conscience claim a star.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1011 on: August 12, 2018, 10:25:59 AM »
Checking in as well. No new gift cards acquired, and here's the status of using up what we have:

We have a total of $915 in gift cards currently, broken out as follows:
-Safeway - $9.53
-Lowes - $300 (we have A LOT of home stuff going on right now)
-A local spa - $210 (this was a gift from work for $500 from two years ago, and I still have some leftover :-))
-A local restaurant/salad bar that is a kid favorite when I travel - $70
-A visa gift card for $50. I find these a PITA to use, as you have to know the exact balance? How does everyone else use these?
-Gap - $75. Perfect example of one I shouldn't have bought. Don't have a need for it, hope I don't succumb to some sort of impulse purchase to "just get rid of the gift card" - Used, but bought pants which I didn't really like + a gym bag. I use a repurposed Lululemon bag that someone gave me (not an actual gym bag, but the shopping bags they hand out) for my gym stuff, and it's looking pretty tragic. But, I liked nothing & will return it all. I did, however, find a pair of pants that I liked even better at Costco for $10, so I'll take that win!
-Target - $39. Had a $100 reward from a hotel stay from work - Used for school supplies
-Starbucks - $134. Recently earned $60 in Starbucks gift cards through another promo. I save Starbucks for travel. When it's work travel, I get reimbursed. When it's personal travel, I do count it as our travel budget. I'm doing a relay in August, and typically buy breakfast at least one day for six people. - Now $120. Saved me from a meal out.
-Subway - $2. Used the rest on our road trip
-Local bowling alley - $25. These are kind of a hassle to use, as you can only use one per trip. We received these for free for booking a birthday party. No out of pocket cost. But, using them will be pricey, so may just toss them.