Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189442 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« on: December 18, 2017, 05:51:37 PM »
Ok, if you’ve read “Your Money or Your Life”, then you’re familiar with gazingus pins. For the rest of ya: it’s the non-essential that you keep on buying even though you don’t need it, you already have some, and it’s just not necessary! It’s your kryponite, your habit, your addiction. Your collection. Your irrational obsession. I’ll post a more in-depth description below, but I think you get the idea.

I’ll be giving up jewellery purchases for 2018 (ack!). What will you be giving up? Consider this thread your support group. We will be firm and we will hold you accountable. Post here when you’re feeling weak or triumphant. Let’s give up buying gazingus pins for 2018! We can do it!

Here’s who is participating, and the gazingus pin they’re pledging to give up for a year:

☆⋆✮Lifejoy - Clothing (except bridesmaid outfits)
☆CheapskateWife - books, jewellery, clothes, and amazon purchases
☆⋆✮✧✪✬Iowajes / I'm a red panda- fabric and nail polish
⋆Vertkurt - watches
⋆✮✧Inkedup - coffee and tea (until home collection is used up)
☆⋆✮✪✬Middo - tools (unless in emergency)
☆⋆✮✧✪✬Happierathome - Tupperware
☆Harper - workout videos and no more than one workout video subscription site
☆Horsepoor - Horse blankets (barring massive destruction of a winter blanket that doesn't have a spare), Saddle pads, Riding breeches or boots, and kitchen gadgets
☆⋆✧✪✬Tris Prior - tea (until home collection is used) and no fun socks/tights
⋆Duchess - eating out junk food / sweets
☆Alleykat - all beauty-related items
⋆✮✧✪Poundwise - craft supplies
☆JanetJackson - energy drinks
☆⋆✮✧✪✬Laura33 - tea
☆✧Chaskavitch - grocery store chocolate, clothing
☆⋆✮✧✪✬Mspym - material or patterns
☆⋆✮✪✬Rosy - jewellery
☆⋆✮✧✪✬Diapasoun - books (unless needed for book club)
☆⋆✧✪✬Formerlydivorcedmom - books (exception: one per month), candles
☆✧✪✬Crustybadger - junk food bought at work
☆⋆✮✪Zeli2033 - books
☆Izybat - eating out
☆⋆✮✧✪✬RetiredAt63 - fibre
☆⋆DTaggart - outdoor gear
☆⋆✧✪✬Serendip - books and workshops/self-improvement courses
✧Gaja - pens, pencils, stationary
✮✧✪Maybebabymustache - GCs unless to be used immediately
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:41:42 AM by lifejoy »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »
Discover Your Gazingus Pins
What things do you particularly like to buy, and buy often? What items are so hard to resist that you just can’t pass them by? Everyone has them …

For some people it’s ceramic figurines; for others it’s pens.
For some people it’s shoes; for others it’s earrings.
For some it’s sports memorabilia; for others it’s electronic gadgets.

We call these “gazingus pins.” They are those things you buy automatically, because it’s a habit, or because they make you feel a certain way. You can create categories to track gazingus pins and to monitor when you make unconscious choices out of emotion or habit.

How Do You Know if Something Is a Gazingus Pin?

Ask these questions:

Do I/we need this? Do I/we really want it?
Where would this item be on the fulfillment curve (survival, comfort, luxury, clutter) when I first buy it?
Where would this item be in another month? Two months? A year?

- https://yourmoneyoryourlife.weebly.com/discover-your-gazingus-pins.html

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »
I love the idea, and often say to myself when I want something, "this is just a gazingus pin."  I don't know why it helps give me perspective, but it really does. 
  I can't think of any category of things I buy like that anymore, but if one hits me I will post!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:09:17 PM »
I love the idea, and often say to myself when I want something, "this is just a gazingus pin."  I don't know why it helps give me perspective, but it really does. 
  I can't think of any category of things I buy like that anymore, but if one hits me I will post!

Haha that’s probably a good thing if you don’t have an obvious answer come to mind ;)

For me, it used to be sweets until I started tracking my spending and found out I was spending $20-40/week on chocolates and pastries! Now it’s jewellery but I’m ready to swear off it for 12 months and appreciate what I have.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 01:57:49 PM »
Food was a big one, but now that I am vegan and in a small city, there's nothing tempting I can eat at the bakery anyway!

I love jewelry too, but every time Inam tempted I remember how much I already have that I don't wear.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »
Mine is notebooks. I have at least 20 empty ones, but still buy more. Bookshops in general are a vice.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »
Food. Snacks and junk and diet soda. Prepackaged, nutritionally-devoid waistline expanders. Definitely a compulsion that needs to stop!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 03:15:01 PM »
Good idea!
I am giving up art workshops for the year.
Even though I studied arts and have taken many workshops--I always feel compelled to learn something new (even when I am not practicing half the things I would like to practice)

And books..no buying books (the library and our personal library will have to suffice)

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »
Good idea!
Even though I studied arts and have taken many workshops--I always feel compelled to learn something new (even when I am not practicing half the things I would like to practice)

And books..no buying books (the library and our personal library will have to suffice)
Books...I am also so terrible about buying something that looks interesting and then allowing it to collect dust forever and ever more. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »
Good idea!

Books...I am also so terrible about buying something that looks interesting and then allowing it to collect dust forever and ever more.

When I gave up buying books a beautiful thing happened: I always had 3-6 weeks to read a particular (library) book. It often meant that I actually read it! Having a due date can be a wonderful thing :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »
Ok I’m mentally preparing for this year of abstaining!

Rules for myself:
-cannot buy jewellery
-cannot buy jewellery accessories (holders, cleaners, etc)
-can receive as gifts
-can use gift cards for these types of things
-cannot opt for elective “repairs” (I.e. refinishing a piece or changing the setting of a stone)

So I guess my goal is to not spend my money on such things, but if they come my way it’s ok.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 10:03:14 AM »
Mine is notebooks. I have at least 20 empty ones, but still buy more. Bookshops in general are a vice.

This is for you: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2013/02/addicted_to_stationery_confessions_of_a_woman_who_haunts_paper_stores_and.html
Ok, I admit it. At least 20 empty books means 32 untouched, blank, ready to open, notebooks, and about 10 where I have used just a few pages.

Unlike the lady in the article, all my notebooks are basicly the same: A5 in size, unlined, soft cover. I guess that makes it even more crazy.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »

This is for you: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2013/02/addicted_to_stationery_confessions_of_a_woman_who_haunts_paper_stores_and.html
Ok, I admit it. At least 20 empty books means 32 untouched, blank, ready to open, notebooks, and about 10 where I have used just a few pages.

Unlike the lady in the article, all my notebooks are basicly the same: A5 in size, unlined, soft cover. I guess that makes it even more crazy.

I’ll trade you gazingus pins? I collect diamonds LOL it would be much more cost-effective if I collected notebooks ;)

Everyone has their thing!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 03:58:45 AM »
For me its going to be sweets especially buying boxed candy. I have a weakness for Peanut M&M's and though I usually buy them at Dollar store on way to something I am going to replace them with something healthier. Only exception will be if someone buys them for me.

The other thing is every night I put something sweet in the bottom of my yogurt every night so I buy crap like Debbie cakes etc.. to dump my yogurt over as my night time snack. This to is ending in 2018.

I never ate sweets till I met my DW 21 + years ago and I gotta stop. So No Buying of Sweets!!!!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 04:55:59 AM »
I'm not sure if I still have any (definitely used to be books) but I'm intrigued so I'm posting to follow.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 05:13:14 AM »
Fabric. (Yardage, not presewn, I don't buy that much)

Not sure I can get through the year without buying more, but I'd like to try!

(DH just said "what if you need more"? But why would I -need- it? I told him if he thinks it is life's necessity, he can buy it.)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 05:56:14 AM »
For me its going to be sweets especially buying boxed candy. I have a weakness for Peanut M&M's and though I usually buy them at Dollar store on way to something I am going to replace them with something healthier. Only exception will be if someone buys them for me.

The other thing is every night I put something sweet in the bottom of my yogurt every night so I buy crap like Debbie cakes etc.. to dump my yogurt over as my night time snack. This to is ending in 2018.

I never ate sweets till I met my DW 21 + years ago and I gotta stop. So No Buying of Sweets!!!!

When I cut back on sugary treats, my taste buds really changed and it was very eye-opening. I also found that gifts took on a whole new level of possibility; now when people gift me chocolate it’s like OH WOW THANKS!!!! instead of just more chocolate in an over-sugared life. I hope you have the same experience!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 05:58:08 AM »

(DH just said "what if you need more"? But why would I -need- it? I told him if he thinks it is life's necessity, he can buy it.)

Sounds like a great way to keep the sewing pile organized :)

Also my mom recycles fabric. Like making a baby bib out of an old shirt. Good luck!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 05:58:41 AM »
I'm not sure if I still have any (definitely used to be books) but I'm intrigued so I'm posting to follow.

How did you change and stop buying books?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 06:47:50 AM »

Also my mom recycles fabric. Like making a baby bib out of an old shirt. Good luck!

I'm no longer allowed to reuse fabric like that. I was told it had crossed the line to hoarding. I can braid a T-shirt into a dog toy immediately, but anything else must leave the house.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 07:19:09 AM »

I'm no longer allowed to reuse fabric like that. I was told it had crossed the line to hoarding. I can braid a T-shirt into a dog toy immediately, but anything else must leave the house.

Ahh gotcha.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 12:09:50 PM »

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 07:32:19 PM »
Watches are my pins. I just don't know why, but I'm always looking at watches to buy even though I have 5 already and can only wear one at a time.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 09:15:06 PM »
Watches are my pins. I just don't know why, but I'm always looking at watches to buy even though I have 5 already and can only wear one at a time.

So you’ll give up acquiring new ones for a year?

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2017, 09:20:03 AM »
Where to begin? :)

I've been on the stationery-addict bandwagon for years (notebooks! fountain pen inks!). Ditto sweets. Ditto expensive coffees and teas. Books, too, have been an issue in the past, but I have gotten much better about focusing instead on reading than acquiring in the past year.

It's much easier for me to talk myself out of a gazingus pin if the item in question is non-comestible. If I can eat or drink it, I find myself justifying the cost. "It won't go to waste because I'm going to use it up! Also: it's only temporarily taking up space!" This is why putting the brakes on acquiring more coffee/tea is so difficult. Since I have weaned myself off the daily habit of buying drinks in to-go cups, I'm admittedly giving myself mental justification in brewing up a good-quality beverage to bring to work than buying the burnt brew at a local cafe. But I have enough to supplement work lunches for the next year.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2017, 10:20:34 AM »

I've been on the stationery-addict bandwagon for years (notebooks! fountain pen inks!). Ditto sweets. Ditto expensive coffees and teas. Books, too, have been an issue in the past, but I have gotten much better about focusing instead on reading than acquiring in the past year.

It's much easier for me to talk myself out of a gazingus pin if the item in question is non-comestible. If I can eat or drink it, I find myself justifying the cost. "It won't go to waste because I'm going to use it up! Also: it's only temporarily taking up space!" This is why putting the brakes on acquiring more coffee/tea is so difficult. Since I have weaned myself off the daily habit of buying drinks in to-go cups, I'm admittedly giving myself mental justification in brewing up a good-quality beverage to bring to work than buying the burnt brew at a local cafe. But I have enough to supplement work lunches for the next year.

Sooo if I’m hearing you right, no buying of coffee or tea?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
I’m going to update the top first post with our usernames and the thing they’re abstaining from buying

Hopefully it will help us all stay on track and accountable! And perhaps we can share ideas with others that are abstaining from buying the same thing.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:29:55 AM by lifejoy »

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2017, 11:35:35 AM »
I’m going to update the top first post with our usernames and the thing they’re abstaining from buying

Hopefully it will help us all stay on track and accountable! And perhaps we can share ideas with others that are abstaining from buying the same thing.
Please add pens and pencils to mine, or just put me down for (against) stationery. I will also cut down on art supplies for the kids, but cutting it completely will be too big a step.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »

How did you change and stop buying books?

Edited because TMI. It was an accidental side-effect of several years of full-on decluttering and getting rid of stuff.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:34:35 PM by Astatine »

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2017, 05:02:06 PM »

Not until I drink up what I already own. It's going to be difficult because I love to collect and drink different kinds of loose-leaf Asian teas. The variety is astounding. And there's always something new to try :(

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »
My gazingus pin is tools.  I buy too many, and buy ones I don't need now.  The problem is we live on a small farm out of town. Going to town for a tool takes over an hour, so things get bought
Just in case.

So, no more purchases of tools that are not needed IMMEDIATELY.  I think I can do that, with some help.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »
Excellent thread!

I'm not going to buy any books that are not work related. I'm going to try library them instead and read the ones I've got.

I'm not going to buy any more Men's Fitness or Men's Health magazines! This is a particularly bad habit of mine...

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »
Excellent thread!

I'm not going to buy any books that are not work related. I'm going to try library them instead and read the ones I've got.

I'm not going to buy any more Men's Fitness or Men's Health magazines! This is a particularly bad habit of mine...

Check out if your library has Press Display or RB Digital. Free access to magazines on your computer, phone, or tablet!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2017, 07:18:12 PM »
My gazingus pin is tools.  I buy too many, and buy ones I don't need now.  The problem is we live on a small farm out of town. Going to town for a tool takes over an hour, so things get bought
Just in case.

So, no more purchases of tools that are not needed IMMEDIATELY.  I think I can do that, with some help.

Good one! I have been surprised in the past at the sorts of things I’ve been able to borrow from my network of contacts once I’ve reached out to them :)

Facebook can be handy for that sort of thing.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2017, 07:20:18 PM »
PS - @Eucalyptus - can the work-related books not be obtained from the library? Do you have any experience with inter library loans?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2017, 07:21:13 PM »

Not until I drink up what I already own. It's going to be difficult because I love to collect and drink different kinds of loose-leaf Asian teas. The variety is astounding. And there's always something new to try :(

Now you have an easy answer when people ask you what you’d like for birthday/Xmas/etc! “Well, I’m not buying any tea right now but I love trying new ones...”

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2017, 07:24:32 PM »
I received two necklaces, a ring box, earrings, and a travel jewellery case for Xmas :D

Hoping this tides me over! It will.

I’m uncertain as to whether or not I want to include optional repairs to my personal challenge. Not buying jewellery and jewellery-related-things will be good for me. It will also cut down on my shopping overall. But what if I want to re-size a ring? Or repair a necklace? On the one hand, that means I’m not buying anything new, which I usually think is fine. On the other hand, it is feeding into my jewellery addiction and the fact that all my fun money ends up going to jewellery-related purchases.

Thoughts?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2017, 12:53:21 AM »
I'm in! No Tupperware (the brand, not the generic category of plastic containers) in 2018.

I received two necklaces, a ring box, earrings, and a travel jewellery case for Xmas :D

I’m uncertain as to whether or not I want to include optional repairs to my personal challenge. Not buying jewellery and jewellery-related-things will be good for me. It will also cut down on my shopping overall. But what if I want to re-size a ring? Or repair a necklace? On the one hand, that means I’m not buying anything new, which I usually think is fine. On the other hand, it is feeding into my jewellery addiction and the fact that all my fun money ends up going to jewellery-related purchases.

Thoughts?

Make a list throughout the year, tell yourself you can do it all in 2019 if you want to. Then see if you still want to. Waiting a year can't hurt, right?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2017, 02:10:07 AM »
I'm in! No Tupperware (the brand, not the generic category of plastic containers) in 2018.

Thoughts?

Make a list throughout the year, tell yourself you can do it all in 2019 if you want to. Then see if you still want to. Waiting a year can't hurt, right?

I like that plan.

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2017, 05:44:35 PM »

Yes I will and may sell some of the others off.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2017, 07:46:38 PM »

Yes I will and may sell some of the others off.

Bravo!! Perhaps I will sell some jewellery...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2017, 03:34:46 AM »

When I cut back on sugary treats, my taste buds really changed and it was very eye-opening. I also found that gifts took on a whole new level of possibility; now when people gift me chocolate it’s like OH WOW THANKS!!!! instead of just more chocolate in an over-sugared life. I hope you have the same experience!

I couldn't of said it better. I find when I give things up in about 2 weeks I don't crave them anymore.  And sure is a killer thats for sure.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2017, 05:43:42 AM »

I couldn't of said it better. I find when I give things up in about 2 weeks I don't crave them anymore.  And sure is a killer thats for sure.

I found this documentary to be really useful. It was on Netflix at some point : https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sugar_coated/

Harper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2017, 08:16:46 AM »
I'm drawn to this thread.  My gazingus pin is embarrassing.  I collect workout videos.  That would be ok if I was in shape but I'm not.  I have so many that I haven't even tried. 

I think I'm ready to throw my hat in for this.

I also stream one workout site that will expire in May.  I have some Christmas money that I will use if I decide to resubscribe to that one or another.  But that's it...no new videos and only one streaming site.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2017, 08:38:54 AM »
I'll give this a shot; all of mine are horse-related.  So I will not buy any:

Horse blankets (barring massive destruction of a winter blanket that doesn't have a spare)
Saddle pads
Riding breeches or boots

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »

I'm trying this too - no more tea until I use up what I have. I'm trying to lose weight so I have replaced my nightly snack and/or glass of wine with a cup (or several) of herbal tea. I went a bit overboard with flavors, I think, because I am starving all the time from this stupid diet so I figured that at least if I have tea I really like maybe I won't be so miserable?

Also, no more fun socks or tights. I am addicted to sockdreams.com, have an impressive collection of warm stripey thigh-high socks that allow me to wear skirts while it's freezing cold out, and am studiously ignoring that they're having a big sale right now. When I bought my last few pairs and realized that my sock drawer no longer closes (it's a small drawer, but still!) I decided that it had gotten a little bit out of hand. At this point it's pure want, not need.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2017, 01:21:57 PM »
This is great
I’m feeling very motivated because we’re all “in it together” and I’m being held accountable by this thread. And it’s keeping it in the forefront of my mind! Thanks, guys.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:25:00 PM by lifejoy »

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2017, 02:07:18 AM »
OK. I'm in. I've been resisting this thread for about a week because posting means I finally have to acknowledge my gazingus pin: junk food and drinks while out and about.

I'm still OK with going out for meals with family and friends. What I want to avoid are the unplanned stops on the way to work because I wasn’t organised enough to have breakfast at home, or the mid-afternoon pick-me-up coffee and sweet treat. While we meal plan for lunch and dinner, I need to get better at planning healthier and lower-cost snacks. I may even try a bit of baking.

This challenge will also tie in nicely with the Frugalwoods Uber Frugal Month which I've signed up for.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 02:11:06 AM by Duchess »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2017, 02:13:58 AM »
OK. I'm in. I've been resisting this thread for about a week because posting means I finally have to acknowledge my gazingus pin: junk food and drinks while out and about.

I'm still OK with going out for meals with family and friends. What I want to avoid are the unplanned stops on the way to work because I wasn’t organised enough to have breakfast at home, or the mid-afternoon pick-me-up coffee and sweet treat. While we meal plan for lunch and dinner, I need to get better at planning healthier and lower-cost snacks. I may even try a bit of baking.

This challenge will also tie in nicely with the Frugalwoods Uber Frugal Month which I've signed up for.

That used to be me! The transition was hard but switching to tea and vegetables eventually helped me avoid major energy slumps. And was far cheaper!

*now off I go to check out the FW Uber frugal month...*