Author Topic: No Complaining For a Week  (Read 1844 times)

changed for protection

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Freedom to help others!
No Complaining For a Week
« on: April 13, 2018, 01:18:47 PM »
The title says it all. I've tried to do this before but never got close enough to pass because I even counted saying things like "It's so cold outside" as complaining. So, I'm going to throw down the gauntlet on all of us; let's see if we can go 1 full week without complaining once. You decide what your threshold is. Here are mine:

1) any audible statement that points out something negative without offering a solution is a complaint
2) any mental thought repeated is a complaint. I wouldn't count the first thought as complaining because it's hard to control your mind.

Let me know if you'll join and let's start first time tomorrow morning.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No Complaining For a Week
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »
You have to be kidding, this is so stupid!

changed for protection

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »

why?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »
:)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
I'll join,
 have tried this before and realized how easily I can casually complain. A good idea to bring some mindfulness to it, even if it will be tricky to accomplish.

changed for protection

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 07:26:40 PM »
I gotta admit, it feels futile sometimes but it's a good effort. Now to get the wife on board.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 11:57:37 PM »
This is a great idea! I will try starting Sunday.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 01:43:14 AM »
This is a great idea.  Unfortunately, I find that people complain a lot in a commiserating way particularly at work as a way to bond.  Like "oooh, Mondays are so haard!"  Other parents at the kids' school do it too "the kids had so much homework this weekend!" etc etc. Drives me nuts as we only live once and I try to enjoy my life if at all possible even Monday mornings.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 05:11:14 PM »
Caught myself having an internal complainy moment (while skiing, of all things)-- and remembered to nip it in the bud.
 Felt interesting to immediately recognize the child-like rant and move on, hopefully with a bit of a better attitude :)

changed for protection

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:04:15 AM »
Managed to get my wife on board, but have to say we had to start all over again. I think one of our biggest issues is that we forget we are even doing this until AFTER we've complained. So, moving forward, I need to have reminders set up: here come the sticky notes!

Caught myself having an internal complainy moment (while skiing, of all things)-- and remembered to nip it in the bud.
 Felt interesting to immediately recognize the child-like rant and move on, hopefully with a bit of a better attitude :)

Reading what you wrote almost makes me want to erase what I wrote above and continue on the challenge instead of starting fresh. You're very right in your attitude to catch it, stop it and move on, instead of feeling down for making a mistake and starting all over again. I think you may have just helped me out in a huge way. Thank you!

This is a great idea.  Unfortunately, I find that people complain a lot in a commiserating way particularly at work as a way to bond.  Like "oooh, Mondays are so haard!"  Other parents at the kids' school do it too "the kids had so much homework this weekend!" etc etc. Drives me nuts as we only live once and I try to enjoy my life if at all possible even Monday mornings.
I totally agree with you and find myself not really wanting to pretend that I "connect" with them. For example, I have many friends complain that their kids keep them up all night, but whenever I talk about mine, I say she's been sleeping all night since 6 months old. Is that actually 100% true, no, but neither is their statement of their kid keeping them up all night. I just want to focus on the positive in life because I want to enjoy every moment of it, even Monday mornings lol.