Author Topic: No clothes shopping - ALL YEAR LONG 2017  (Read 14428 times)

ABK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: No clothes shopping - June 2017
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2017, 10:55:02 AM »
I did have to buy one item this month - I'm on a sports team and I needed to buy a team jersey for races. But besides that we've been continuing to purge our closets rather than fill them. I'm also on a sabbatical until the end of the year so I won't need anything new until at least January.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
I made it through June and so far July is looking good too. Though I am tempted with my new job to buy a few new work outfits!!! I will try to resist.

RetirementInvestingToday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Retirement Investing Today
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »
Great idea for a thread.  So much money is wasted on 'throw away' clothing here in the UK.  This month I ended up having to buy a new pair of shoes.  My last clothes purchase was Jan 2015 so I managed 2.5 years without making a clothes purchase.  I'm happy with that.

Bella78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »
After cleaning out and reorganizing my closet a couple of weeks ago, I have realized I have enough clothes.  I told my SO that I am going to try to not buy any clothes between now and the end of the year.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2017, 06:59:11 AM »
A bit late, but I'm in.

I've said that before but I'm really going to do it this time for this year and will see for next year because I'm sure I can go longer.

I've been buying too much clothes the last months and I really really don't need more. I added to my wardrobe and  also  whittled it down to a good amount and what I really like and wear so I really wear at least 90% of my wardrobe occasionally or at least seasonally except for some special wear things but I don't need to add more.

Will be good to have some accountability.

Juslookin

• Bristles
Re: No clothes shopping - ALL YEAR LONG 2017
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2017, 06:05:55 AM »
Hello everybody OP here. I changed the title......to ALL YEAR LONG!

We were doing this gauntlet a month at a time originally, but look, we're more than halfway there we totally got this!

So I have been crazy busy and haven't been around to check in.  I had foot surgery which left me on crutches and immobile for awhile.  That meant I couldn't go to the mall, but it also meant that I had a lot of crazy free time on the internet to shop.  I am happy to say that I didn't.  I did however binge watch the entire run of Downton Abbey (which I highly recommend). 

Before my foot surgery I had a vacation planned and I did buy two pairs of shorts to fill in an obvious gap in my wardrobe.   The point for me of the no shopping year was obviously not to shop.  However, its become something more for me.  The point for me is to be a thoughtful consumer.  I used to throw things into my online cart without a care, it didn't matter if I needed it, I wanted it, I deserved it and my life would be so great if I had it.

The no shopping challenge has made me learn more things than just don't buy stuff.  I don't need new clothes to feel strong and powerful in a meeting, or cute and fun with friends. I use what I have, mix and match, play with patterns, colors and accessories and I'm still the same person I always was.

So the bottom line for me more than halfway through is I have bought a few things.  Things I considered, went out to find, bought and went home. I think a new white shirt and a pair of running shoes were two of my other purchases for the year so far.  So some people might say that I failed, but hey, this is my life and my rules and I think I won. 

How about you?  Are you winning this year too?

137 days until the end of the year!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:10:09 AM by Juslookin »

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2017, 07:28:49 AM »
I wondered how I'd managed to miss this thread and why it looked so familiar. Thanks for changing the title :-)

I'm still very much in despite having gained weight over the past 8 weeks (too much work, too many hours spent at my desk, too much lazy food, too little exercise, roll on retirement or at least not being short-handed at work any more) and getting to the point at which I'm having to choose clothes from the generous-sized end of my wardrobe. I'll wear the few things that fit me until they're rags rather than buy any more. The surplus weight will come off again when the pressure is off at work. It always does.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 08:44:24 AM »
  The point for me of the no shopping year was obviously not to shop.  However, its become something more for me.  The point for me is to be a thoughtful consumer.  I used to throw things into my online cart without a care, it didn't matter if I needed it, I wanted it, I deserved it and my life would be so great if I had it.

The no shopping challenge has made me learn more things than just don't buy stuff.  I don't need new clothes to feel strong and powerful in a meeting, or cute and fun with friends. I use what I have, mix and match, play with patterns, colors and accessories and I'm still the same person I always was.

I totally agree. I think this is more about not conscious shopping. Not buying non-essentials. It's not about suffering.

I read this blog and think it may be nice for some people here as well. These blog posts are about a shopping ban in general and not only clothes. It is all about not buying non-essentials though. I thought it was a good read. The thing with me is, that I'm pretty good at not buying non-essentials in every other area but clothes. Ofcourse I can buy essentials but the thing is, is the thing I want to buy really essential.

The Ultimate Shopping Ban Guide: Part 1 - how to start a shopping ban
http://caitflanders.com/2016/01/18/how-to-start-shopping-ban/

The Ultimate Shopping Ban Guide: Part 2 - how to complete a shopping ban
http://caitflanders.com/2016/01/25/how-to-complete-shopping-ban/

I also made a quotes list for myself from blogs I read and thought it might be nice to share it here. I'm sorry that I don't know the sources anymore (some quotes are from the blog posts linked above).

- if I had so much fear around it, there must be something important to explore, right?
- It was the attitude change that made the most difference: looking through my things and realizing I already had enough—that I didn’t have to rush out and buy something new to fill a hole or a need—let me breathe again. It was relaxing and reassuring to know what I had was okay. What you are is already good enough.
- That [insert garment] will not change your life
- Soon, transferring cash into my savings account was giving me a bigger buzz than any purchase ever had and it kick-started a savings habit I still abide by today.
- There's more to life than clothes. Removing the exhausting rollercoaster of want-want-want followed by the inevitable buyers remorse has been liberating. No longer being a weapon of massive consumption (credit to the literary great Lily Allen for the pun) has freed up both my time and money. Now that my self-imposed shopping has been lifted, every purchase I make is pre-empted with the question: do I need it? And the truth is, I really don't.
- I can be eco-conscious without having to stick to classics that will last eight years. For example, three years ago, I got a pair of kelly-green skinny jeans. I wore them virtually every time I went out, year-round (and still wear them frequently). If I had six pairs of jeans, that likely wouldn’t have happened, and I would have had to decide what to do with them in five years when they were no longer stylish. This way, they’ll likely be holey and worn out before I have to worry about that.
- I needed to disabuse myself of the notion that clothes shopping is a hobby. It’s not. I needed to transform my conception of clothes shopping into what it really is: a means to procure the threads we need to cover our little human bodies.
-Instead of seeing my possessions from the viewpoint of deprivation, I see the abundance of what I have. When I stepped off the carousel of consumerism and stopped trying to keep up with changing fashions, I started dressing in clothes that I enjoy wearing. I stopped wearing heels (except on rare special occasions) and I stopped wearing tight, itchy, or otherwise uncomfortable outfits. What’s the point?
- I’ve radically changed my perspective from one of self-centered greed to one of acceptance for the imperfections in my life and gratitude for everything I’m blessed to have.
- breaking a bad habit isn’t easy. And when you try to break a bad habit, you will inevitably come up against triggers that will open your eyes and even knock your socks off. You may realize things about yourself that were always present but hid securely behind your spending power. And if you do a ban for long enough, I bet you’ll become more resourceful than you knew you could be. I want you to get to that point. I don’t want any of the what-if situations to hold you back or cause you to relapse or even give up on your shopping ban altogether. I want you to push through each and every one, so you can discover more about yourself and find creative ways to get through this world without pulling out your credit cards. Your goals might be to spend less, save more money in general, save for something specific, use up the stockpile of stuff you already have or simply become a more conscious consumer. My goal with this two-part series is to help you get organized and push through all the what-if situations, so you can reach your goal – whatever it may be.
- Finally, as time goes on, you’ll start to feel grateful for everything that is currently in your life. From the clothes in your closet to the books on your shelves, using what you keep will serve as a reminder that money has already bought you everything you need. Your relationships, and the happiness and health of family and friends, will take top priority. And if you’re lucky enough to live somewhere even half as beautiful as where I live, a walk outside will go a long way to brighten your day.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 06:00:01 PM »
I've only bought socks.  Just socks.  Oh and new biking gloves.  Dat's it.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »
Hi hi hi! I didn't clothes shop in 2015 and it was great but a year and half of shopping intermittently followed (I love it so ). Finally feeling ready to dump all clothing/accessory/shoes purchases for the rest of the year and posting for accountability! I fully have everything I need plus am going to a swap in a month. And I want to spend on charity instead!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
However, its become something more for me.  The point for me is to be a thoughtful consumer.  I used to throw things into my online cart without a care, it didn't matter if I needed it, I wanted it, I deserved it and my life would be so great if I had it.

Well said Juslookin!  Completely agree. I've been on a clothes-buying ban since November 2016 and I cannot believe that I've made it this far without buying a single item of clothing.  Mostly I'm surprised at how easy it's been.  Don't get me wrong, there have been some moments of serious temptation, but I've come out on top.  Right now I'm 14w pregnant and really really really want to buy a work dress that does a better job of disguising the pregnancy (not ready to tell work yet).  But I'm telling myself to just be creative and hang in there for the next couple weeks and then I can start wearing all the great maternity clothes I already have (but don't want to wear yet because most of them are pretty obviously maternity clothes and sort of emphasize the belly).  This Frugalwoods post could not have come at a better time for me!  http://www.frugalwoods.com/2017/09/18/how-i-remain-frugal-while-pregnant/

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »
I'm with you.  Did some clothes shopping in August when visiting my home city but I pledge to not clothes shop for myself.  I may have to do some shopping for my kids though.  I noticed today that my older daughter's toe is now starting to poke through her sneaker. 

BiscuitsForBreakfast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2017, 05:09:13 PM »
ClosertoFree -- i'm impressed! Pregnancy (especially when you're not ready to announce) seems like the hardest time of all to cut back on clothing shopping. Good work -- and congratulations!

I pledged at the beginning of the year to not buy any new clothes in 2017, though with two cop-outs -- I could buy necessary running clothes (bras and shorts only) and as much as I wanted from thrift stores. I have cheated twice and feel the need to confess: One new t-shirt (supporting a local brewery but I REALLY didn't need it and should know better than to BUI (buy under the influence)), and one new winter zip-up (urgh, I regretted the purchase immediately.) Also two pairs of running shorts which should last me years and replace my favorite stretched-out pair (and were purchased on sale and partially with a gift card). Still, that's less than $100.

However, otherwise -- no new clothes purchased! And yet I have been the recipient of hand-me-downs, so I have been lucky as far as scratching that itch: multiple cardigans AND the perfect post-run skirt. I am thinking about taking this through 2018. Avoiding the mall is easy.  Shopping for others at Christmas might not be though...

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2017, 03:45:10 AM »
I also have to 'confess'. I bought a rain/wind/thin outdoor jacket I can wear on top of my fleece. I don't really see it as extreme cheating though, because I do ride my bike to work (20km) and it has been raining nonstop the last few weeks. The thing is however that I already had a rainjacket but that one was a cheap thing that didn't really fit right (armlength too short, cap kept flying off or couldnt see anything) so when I was in an outdoor shop with my boyfriend I was browsing through the sales rack and found a perfect one. I'm really happy with it but then again, I could've waited until the end of the year.

And although I don't really count bags in the 'clothes' section I guess because I am not a bag lady, I did also buy a new bag. As a replacement for my worn and torn one that I had for 15 years so that didn't really bother me.

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »
We're in the home stretch! Only 3 months left. :) Feels good to have made it this far!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2017, 02:04:06 PM »
Nine months done, total clothing purchases remain at three pairs of cycling shorts which I needed to replace ancient shorts that had become transparent, and one peaked cap which is sports club kit. I can't see any reason why I shouldn't make it to the end of the year. Better than that, since I have quite a lot of unworn sports clothing stashed I managed to sell some clothes and sneakers on eBay for a worthwhile price.

Not having time to go to clothes shops, and keeping away from online sellers, is definitely helping.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2017, 02:21:01 PM »
Older kid's toe is now definitely poking through the top of her only pair of sneaker (only other shoes are sandals and they are now too small) so I guess we need to do some kid shoe shopping soon.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2017, 03:00:54 PM »
This is very impressive. I work in fashion so it feels especially hard - and I get an amazzinnggg discount, but my closet runneth over - but I will commit to this for the rest of 2017. Three months is better than none, right?!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2017, 03:33:49 PM »
Temptation lies so close to the surface! Sheltering from the rain in an outdoor clothing shop today, I saw two lovely pairs of stretch fabric shorts and a pair of hiking/climbing trousers at an impressive discount, and my husband, who is a ferocious enabler, came up with several reasons why I should have them. The main reason being that he wanted some hiking trousers too.

I said we could have them if they were still in the shop and we still want them next payday. That's 19 days away and the shop is over 30 miles from home. We'll soon forget about them.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2017, 08:28:13 AM »
Welcome Off the Wheel! Maybe you can get you and your fashion friends together for a swap? It helps give that 'new clothes!' feeling...and sometimes makes you realize how much you have that you can let go of!

Also nice deferral TT :)

I'm on a 'willpower kick' (just joined weight watchers to--I do think some of my shopping comes from frustration at how I look in clothes with some recent weight gain), so I'm feeling good about the rest of the year. Picked up some clothes when I was home at my mom's last month too--including one of those floral crepe dresses that were all the rage when I was in middle school, what a throwback. Totally looks stylish now!

thelittlebird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2017, 10:21:11 AM »
I've found that as a result of not buying any new clothes/shoes/jewelry for the year (so far none!) I've actually been reducing the clothes I already have as well. I am moving and as I packed stuff up, I just look at some of my pants and thought "Why do I have so many pairs of similar items?" The more time I've gone without buying anything new, the more I realize just how much excess I already have. I'm already starting to think ahead and see how far into 2018 I want to commit to for.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2017, 03:14:59 AM »
I've found that as a result of not buying any new clothes/shoes/jewelry for the year (so far none!) I've actually been reducing the clothes I already have as well. I am moving and as I packed stuff up, I just look at some of my pants and thought "Why do I have so many pairs of similar items?" The more time I've gone without buying anything new, the more I realize just how much excess I already have. I'm already starting to think ahead and see how far into 2018 I want to commit to for.

Same here, it's funny how that works. It's easier to see what I do wear and why although I already really reduced my clothing.

I still have to resist the urge to buy the 'great new additions that would work amazing" with my existing wardrobe even though I'm not really shopping, but sometimes I'm just thinking of items or "just browsing" (not sure why, habit I guess). I've made a secret pinterest board documenting the items I would like to buy without actually buying. I want to get rid of that stupid urge and the thought the "perfect" things are out there. It's stupid.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2017, 05:10:08 AM »
I am still in! Sort of (I just remembered I bought some workout shorts for 9$ very cheap and I needed them!)

I did however get some rad deals at this local consignment shop last weekend. There was a line outside the door at 11am, and everyone rushed in because they were having a 1$ sale. I got 15 things that I love.
Also, I dyed my black and white striped skinny jeans to khaki and black as an afterthought while my husband was dying something. Much more cool in my opinion and now I actually wear them. :)

I rarely have any desire to buy new stuff. Love me some thrifting though and get an occasional item- seems to quench my thirst.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »
Wearing a new outfit today from a thrifted pair of pants and a shirt I grabbed from my mom. It feels so nice and fall-y! Good to realize I have tons and tons of wardrobe options in the closet.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2017, 09:59:20 AM »
Is this still going on? After online sales over the weekend, I'm ready to commit for several months. Since right now I can't "think" of anything I need, even through 2018, I'm wondering if this challenge will continue through the new year?  I have bought an embarassing amount of new clothing in the past 12 months...

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2017, 10:49:12 AM »
I bought a bunch of sweaters/other not fully needed clothes while feeling down the other week, only bonus is they were reasonably priced. Onwards and upwards but I thought I'd share this McSweeney's piece in case others relate to it as I did!

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/unpleasant-thoughts-you-had-and-the-items-you-purchased-in-order-to-stop-having-them

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2017, 12:17:03 AM »
I'm still in. Resisted Black Friday sales inviting me to buy sports kit for myself, managed to limit weight gain over a busy summer at work so that I could still squeeze into my biggest shirts and trousers (the surplus pounds are coming off again now), still haven't come close to running short of clothes or shoes, and am set to continue into 2018.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »
I'm still in. Resisted Black Friday sales inviting me to buy sports kit for myself, managed to limit weight gain over a busy summer at work so that I could still squeeze into my biggest shirts and trousers (the surplus pounds are coming off again now), still haven't come close to running short of clothes or shoes, and am set to continue into 2018.
What happened with what I call the October Pants?

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »
Almost forget about this thread but wanted to pop back in to say I MADE IT A WHOLE YEAR WITHOUT BUYING ANY CLOTHES!  (November 2016 - November 2017)  In the spirit of solidarity I'm going to try to extend it one more month so I can join those of you in the 2017 calendar year group.  I thought by now I'd be dying to buy at least one or two much desired items, but it's honestly gotten easier to not buy the longer I've done this.

Good luck to everyone else trying to stick to the clothes buying ban, with or without any slip ups!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2017, 07:13:38 PM »
What happened with what I call the October Pants?

The pants I had a notion of buying on 1st October? I forgot all about them and haven't been back to that town since then.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2017, 10:34:46 PM »
I've still only bought hiking socks and biking gloves all year.  I almost bought a rash guard shirt on vacation in Mexico.   Couldn't justify spending the $40.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2017, 10:48:52 PM »
Almost forget about this thread but wanted to pop back in to say I MADE IT A WHOLE YEAR WITHOUT BUYING ANY CLOTHES!  (November 2016 - November 2017)  In the spirit of solidarity I'm going to try to extend it one more month so I can join those of you in the 2017 calendar year group.  I thought by now I'd be dying to buy at least one or two much desired items, but it's honestly gotten easier to not buy the longer I've done this.

Good luck to everyone else trying to stick to the clothes buying ban, with or without any slip ups!

Wow! You did it!