Author Topic: No clothes shopping - ALL YEAR LONG 2017  (Read 14427 times)

Juslookin

• Bristles
No clothes shopping - ALL YEAR LONG 2017
« on: March 02, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
This is the third fourth, see updated post, changing title to go all year sixth month of our installment gauntlet. I had decided that for me, trying to set the goal for the whole year was overwhelming.  I am setting up one new gauntlet per month in order to get through the year.  Jump in or out as you see fit.  Maybe some people will go with me for the year.

So my no clothes shopping for me is clothes buying for myself.  I do not count my kids or my husband in this gauntlet.  The issues with clothes buying are my own and not my families issues. (Honestly, if my husband agrees to buy new clothes, I'm thrilled, I think it last happened in 1999 :) You may run your personal no clothes shopping gauntlet the way you see fit.

So who is in for June?  Are you trying for the whole year with me?

30 days left for June (215 days for the year)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:56:00 AM by Juslookin »

recklesslysober

• Bristles
Re: No clothes shopping - March 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:33:22 PM »
I'm in. :)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 05:20:34 AM »
I am in with one exception:  I have to attend a function at the end of March and I went ahead bought a dress to wear to it because I couldn't think of what else to wear.  I only own one other dress at the moment and for a variety of reasons, it was not suitable for this function.  I will wear shoes and jewelry I already own with the new dress.  Other than that I am definitely in. 

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 05:22:46 AM »
I'm in!  Got through Jan and Feb pretty well.  May have to buy a bra but shouldn't need more than that.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »
I have already failed in March, but I am in for the rest of the month. I had not bought anything for myself since last October. This past weekend, we went to Vegas for my son's participation in an elite rugby tournament. Unfortunately, we had just been through Vegas the previous weekend after skiing and it was freezing, so I erroneously packed for cold weather without checking the forecast. After sweltering all day the first day at the tournament in the lightest top I brought, I bought a lightweight, short-sleeve top for the second day, and a pair of flip flops (I had only brought the boots I was wearing the day we left home in chaos). I did have shorts I had brought for wearing if we went to the pool at the hotel, but no short sleeve shirt. I am pretty disappointed. I mean, it was absolutely not a case of "oh I want xx" which is the habit I'm trying to break here, but next time I go somewhere I will check the forecast. At least it wasn't as bad of an oversight as my teenager who FORGOT.HIS.CLEATS for the tournament. Thank goodness for the Nike outlet store in Primm, where we stopped and found him cleats for $39. I am in for the remainder of the month though.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 07:20:13 AM »
I was sorely tempted to buy something yesterday but resisted successfully - whew!  I was at the mall to return 2 dresses I ordered from Talbots (I ordered 3, decided on one to wear to the special event I'm attending - see my prior post :-).  Seeing all this new and pretty spring stuff at the stores made me remember that I never found the perfect shell to wear with my cardigans last fall.  So I started looking but fortunately was able to stop myself fairly quickly.  I went home and looked at my closet and was reminded that I have more than enough stuff to wear!   

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 07:57:56 AM »
I'm in on this. I'm doing a Q1 clothing fast which I basically  did last year as well. Ideally would like to make it to June.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:16:52 PM »
I'm in for the full year. So far so good. I haven't even been too tempted and I'm enjoying creating outfits with what I already own.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 03:46:36 AM »
Well, so far no clothes shopping in the first quarter. These extra few pounds have helped me out. I refuse to go up a size.

Juslookin

• Bristles
Re: No clothes shopping - April 2017
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 12:26:26 PM »
I have changed the title of our March no clothes shopping gauntlet to April - jump in or jump out.  I am going for the year and I know some other people are as well.  This way you can still get in for the month if you want to try a month or stick with us for the year.

So, here's my good, bad and ugly.  I bought new sneakers.  I knew I was going to, it was actually one of my plans for the year.  So, I'm OK with it.  Sneakers aren't really my issue.....now if it was a super cute pair of pumps I'd have an issue with it and be confessing to ya'll.  :)

I intend to keep moving forward with my no clothes buying for the year.  A few of you have mentioned that you are trying to lose weight.  That is part of my issue right now too.  I have been pretty lucky my whole life, being pretty active and with a good metabolism.  All of a sudden I hit 45 and WHAM....I don't fit my pants right.  Sooooo, I am spending a lot of time I would have other wise been wasting shopping, running.  Hence the new sneakers.  I have perfectly nice clothes and buying new simply is not an option, therefore I will fit into them sooner rather than later. 

How is everybody else doing?  Anyone wanna get in on April?  Anybody else going for the year?

25 days left in April / 270 days for the year

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 12:36:49 PM »
I fell off the wagon in March :-(  Ended up buying 4 items in total - one was a dress for a function I attended at the end of March, but the other 3 were really not needed, totally "on a whim" purchases.  Oh well, I'm not going to beat myself up about it.  I'm in for April!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 04:36:31 PM »
I'm in! Curbing my clothes shopping is huge for me. So far this year I have done well. I spent maybe $10 at savers on some summer clothes. I love that place. Only used clothes for me this year if any.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 05:09:28 PM »
I still haven't bought anything Feb- April 5th woooot woooot!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »
 I'm in as well. I've only bought one necklace so far this year. I would like to make it to June without buying anything except maybe some workout clothes I desperately need.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 09:31:25 AM »
I'm in with this. I *might* have to buy a bra due to nursing, but aside from that I will buy NOTHING. In fact, I'm selling a bunch of unused stuff on Ebay this month. Onward!

berger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
I'm in with this too. So far so good in the last 6 days!

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »
Me too! Nothing yet this year.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 07:32:06 AM »
I give you my mantra for today:

I do not need new shoes. I do not need new shoes. I do not need new shoes.  Yes, they are super cute, but I do not need new shoes.

If anyone wants to disagree with me feel free.....

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »
I made one exception. I bought two new bras. I had a baby a year and a half ago and it was time. However, I bought them entirely with gift cards received for my birthday, so no actual money spent. Other than that no new clothes at all.

ABK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 09:59:23 AM »
We're in at our house! I have been mindfully not buying clothing for almost two years now (I did receive a few clothing gifts that I gratefully accepted), and my husband agreed to join me for 2017. We did have to buy him a new pair of cheap flip-flops last month, since his last pair, which he'd had for about 17 years, completely delaminated, and we live in Hawaii where flip-flops are the height of fashion. But other than that, we're good to go.

Our growing boys are a different story, but we're teaching them budgeting using a very tight clothing fund.

JohannaP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 07:13:08 PM »
Going strong, so far no clothes purchases since 12/2016!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 10:55:27 PM »
Nothing bought here for 2017 thus far.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 10:43:41 AM »
I'm joining late for April. I'm aiming for the whole year. I have bought, in March, one short sleeved shirt and one pair of flip flops, due to a packing/planning error for a trip. I may replace a pair of shoes later this year, but other than that, I think I can stick with it!

JohannaP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 06:06:45 AM »
I made it through April without any clothing purchases.  In May I will probably break for a new pair of black flats, I am getting recklessly close to having holes in the soles of my shoes.  I work in a hospital so ideally I would not expose my feet to hospital floor bacterial flora.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »
I made it through April, and I'm ready for May!

JDFW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
I'll do this. I spent $514 last year on clothes. So far this year, I'm at $51. At some point I'll need a pair of capri pants for work, but that can wait til next month. I'll hit Ross for those, or a sale at Steinmart. I'm hoping to keep the annual total below $100.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »
So far this year I have just bought one necklace. Trying to hold out for May and maybe June but might need shoes so we will see

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 10:47:33 AM »
I made it through April as well. Shouldn't need anything in May either. :)

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 10:00:52 AM »
I''m at one pair of shoes and one necklace so far this year. Not bad. No actual clothes.

polarama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 08:03:19 PM »
Joining...I've managed not to buy anything this year so far.  In addition to saving some $$ and trying to declutter, I am also seriously trying to lose weight so I've been holding off on new clothes. 

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 03:47:22 PM »
Well, I failed for May. I purchased three items. Two I can somewhat justify, as they are direct replacements in a smaller size (yay!) for my favorite jeans (I was down to one as my favorite pair were threadbare in a critical spot...) and a pair of quick dry hiking pants. The third item though was a definite impulse buy. It's hard to regret though, as it is now my favorite shirt that I own and fills a gap in my "capsule wardrobe" that I've been searching for, for over a year. Well, I'm not going to use the fall off the wagon as an excuse to binge and I'm re-committing now. I'm also wearing my new favorite shirt...

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 12:56:22 PM »
Hi all, I joined in January with the intent of going all year without buying clothes. So far so good! I have not bought any clothes this year, despite having "lost" some shirts and socks to wear and tear. I did buy a pair of walking shoes, but I had planned for that.

One big fat failure in April: I bought a $200 pair of dress shoes. Ugh! I had to have them for a specific family event. I'm sorry that I bought such expensive ones, but hopefully they will serve me for all such future events, for years to come. At least they are comfortable (which is why they were $$$ instead of $).

And now some more unplanned purchases are on the horizon: I need sturdy summer sandals and a sun hat.

I still think I've been relatively successful with this thread-series, because I have not bought any new tops, pants etc. just to "refresh my wardrobe" (as has been my habit in the past). If I can go a whole year without any such purchases I will be happy.

Juslookin

• Bristles
Re: No clothes shopping - June 2017
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »
Hello everyone, OP here.  I have been up to my neck with things these days.  I graduated college recently, at the age of 45, so that has been cool.  I also have a trip planned to see family and a whole list of new clothes I wanted to buy.

So what did I buy since I last posted about a month ago? One pair of leather flip flops, to replace a pair that I wear all summer long, they were about four years old and the sole came apart.  Not worth repairing professionally.  They were originally bought at the GAP outlet, new ones bought at GAP on sale of course for $9.00.
Two t-shirts from Target for wearing around the house ($5.00 each) and for bike riding and one white tank top to replace mine ($4.00 Old Navy), that was no longer white, I wear it underneath button downs for the office.

So, I am pretty proud that this is all I have bought year to date. While I am going for no clothes shopping I am being realistic.  Things will break, wear out or just need replaced.  In the past the change of seasons would have brought an entire new wardrobe, just because.  I have made great strides.

What I didn't buy: an adorable one piece bathing suit from J. Crew, a midi length floral skirt from Banana Republic, dozens of off the shoulder or cold shoulder tops from everywhere which apparently are the rage this year, espadrilles from Zappos and rubber Chooka ballet slippers to wear in the rain. 

Onward!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:21:37 PM by Juslookin »

msmarieh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Married woman on a journey to FI
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 04:09:16 PM »
I'm not in because overbuying of clothes is definitely NOT an issue for me. I was looking for stuff to declutter recently and realized that my clothes are actually so worn, they are not good enough for charity donations (and yet, I figure I can still get a few more wearings out of them LOL ROFL - I hate clothes shopping that much). Practically everything in my wardrobe is more than 5-10 years old except for a few souvenir tshirts.

I tend to go in every few years, buy like 5 pairs of jeans, a big bag of socks, undies, several bras, and maybe tshirts for summer/turtlenecks for winter and boom - done - for another 5-10 years. LOL

However, I'll be on the sidelines cheering and giving moral support!!! You can do this!!!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »
I'm in for June! Unless I lose enough weight to require purchasing a new swimsuit, I should be able to commit to June. If I lose enough weight to require a new swimsuit, I will gleefully buy one, guilt-free...

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »
Still in. I'm pretty happy to have made it this far without any purchases! I've been tempted.. but mostly by underwear/bras/tights. That's a huge improvement on my 2016 mindset. I can definitely make it through with what I have until the end of the year.

AriesFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2017, 12:44:41 PM »
I'm in  for June! I have a pretty bad shopping habit and this might help (so many summer sales- hard to say no!)

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
I made it through May! I do need to purchase a pair of sneakers, I'll be using Amazon Gift cards to get them so no cash will leave my hands and that will be my only clothes purchase in June.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »
I'm in  for June! I have a pretty bad shopping habit and this might help (so many summer sales- hard to say no!)

I also have a pretty bad shopping habit. Every time I want something and don't buy it, I transfer the same amount of money into my savings account and I'm watching it grow. A new pretty something is temporarily nice, but seeing my savings build is even better.

Good luck!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »

I also have a pretty bad shopping habit. Every time I want something and don't buy it, I transfer the same amount of money into my savings account and I'm watching it grow. A new pretty something is temporarily nice, but seeing my savings build is even better.

Good luck!

I love this idea! I'm going to start doing this, and for more than just clothes. :)

AriesFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2017, 02:18:15 PM »

Good luck!

I love this idea! I'm going to start doing this, and for more than just clothes. :)

Great idea! This is what I really should do. But instant gratification sometimes wins! I am looking for ideas and motivation to help with this- maybe setting up a mint account or budget category or something that lets me visually see the amounts I didn't spend!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2017, 05:37:35 AM »
Totally in. No clothes, shoes, or accessories.

I've been doing this for the whole of 2017, with just a couple of very specific exceptions - new cycle shorts to replace expired ones (now bought, and expired ones disposed of) and running club kit if it doesn't duplicate something I already own. And I've stuck to it. It's been relatively easy. Shopping for clothes isn't something I enjoy as a hobby, so I don't feel deprived and inclined to displace my spending on to something else.

The hardest part is resisting the temptation to have a shuffle through the merchandise in charity shops. It may cost half nothing, but the bottom line is that I do not need to buy any more clothes. I have enough. My solution is only to go into charity shops to hand in donations, and only to look at one shelf - the shelf that might hold small cups for the coffee pod machine.

Yes, I know, there's plenty bad to be said about coffee pods, but this thread isn't about coffee pods, and we've vastly reduced our use of them this year by not providing a bottomless supply for the three resident adult offspring due to their inability to exercise portion control with them.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2017, 08:03:26 AM »
I'm in! Headed to vacation this month and I always want to buy new clothes before vacation even though I don't need any. No new hiking clothes!

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 06:43:51 AM »
I'm in for June. The mid-year sales are at the end of month and I'll evaluate if I need anything then. Bras are an exception though, I'm pregnant and tend to change sizes.

aurora5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 07:22:16 AM »
I'm in for June. In the meantime was thinking of taking my existing clothes and tailoring them myself so I like them better, and will wear them. Anyone else good at sewing? I used to sew long ago, and am thinking that it is time to start again.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2017, 04:47:16 AM »
I'm in for June. The mid-year sales are at the end of month and I'll evaluate if I need anything then. Bras are an exception though, I'm pregnant and tend to change sizes.

Well fitted bras at all stages of pregnancy count as something more important than clothes!

Knowing that I would try to stretch any loopholes, I included underwear in my embargo on clothes shopping in 2017. This meant that when one of my daughters asked me what I wanted for Mothering Sunday, I said, "A multipack of cotton knickers." She was like, "WHAT?" but, bless her, she gave me what I'd asked for.

ponderous_tome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2017, 05:33:07 AM »
I'm in for June and the foreseeable future! Just found this thread. Haven't bought any clothing this month and I don't plan to--I am often tempted to just duck into my favorite thrift store to look for "work tops" but I really don't need anything right now. Feels good to maintain a no-buy streak.

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 06:22:09 AM »

Well fitted bras at all stages of pregnancy count as something more important than clothes!

Yes! I think I wasn't clear, no clothes shopping except bras. I tend to buy one every month in the last 2 trimesters.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 09:13:10 AM »
Hi all, I joined in January with the intent of going all year without buying clothes.

And now some more unplanned purchases are on the horizon: I need sturdy summer sandals and a sun hat.

1. I bought clothes :(  . Decided I needed a few things for upcoming travel. The good news is that I found 5 items for a total of $19 at the Goodwill. They are excellent -- top brands, great condition -- and they fill a gap in my wardrobe: non scruffy, semi-professional looking summer clothes.

2. I bought the sturdy sandals I was looking for: list price was $160, on sale for $120 and then I used a $40 rebate card which was about to expire. So, $80 for the sandals.

3. I also bought a sun hat at the good will ($3.25) but I'm not thrilled with it. I will keep an eye out for a better one.

So I'm faltering a bit but this thread is still helping me to keep my eye on the prize. I have spent a grand total of $22.25 on clothes this year, excluding foot wear. Not too bad!

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »
I bought a black dress and cardigan from a thrift store for about $7.

I needed something all black for family photos and didn't have anything. I tried my Buy Nothing group to no avail. Fortunately it's a basic outfit that should get a lot of use.

Other than that I'm still all in! Almost halfway through 2017!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!